[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

To anyone who buys a Leica:
How are you okay with being scammed out of $10,000?
>>
>>4028435
a mere 20 cents per iso
>>
I only got scammed out of £2000 I'll have you know.
>>
>>4028435
$1,000 worth of camera of camera, $9,000 worth of look at me pose. What is not to love?
>>
>>4028463
Nice scene
>>
Not op, I’m just a /k/fag trying a new hobby, but Leica cameras has been the most baffling thing I’ve consistently come across in the past month of research. I’ve spent thousands on guns that are neat, fun, and historic, but accept that a $500 ar-15 will 95% of the time out perform my expensive collection of old military rifles. Is it the same where Leica guys also just enjoy using a very nicely built quirky neat relic while working the best they can within the limits imposed by the hardware they’re using? Please be nice this isn’t bait, I am just a harmless retarded newfag to /p/.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1024
Image Height1024
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>4028599
It's one of only a few digital rangefinders manufactured.
You buy it or you don't.

What hot, non-surplus, guns do you have, Anon?
>>
>>4028605
>the only digital rangefinders that exist
Don't forget the Epson.
>>
>>4028605
Thanks for the explanation
>>
File: IMG_0125 2.jpg (2.77 MB, 4032x3024)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
>>4028603
>non-surplus guns
really nothing special I picked up the rhino in a combo deal for the other gun for $900 a couple years ago

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone SE (1st generation)
Camera Software13.6.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image Created2020:08:29 17:03:40
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness-0.4 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length4.15 mm
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: IMG_0846.jpg (1.77 MB, 4032x3024)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
>>4028616
and this guy followed me home and apprecieated like mad after I went to fleet farm to buy a pillow and wound up strolling home with an AK, belomo makes a nice red dot too btw, added after the fact. My non surp collection is very unremarkable otherwise.

Equipment MakeApple
Camera Software15.2.1
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2022:01:31 12:48:04
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
ISO Speed Rating80
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness3.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.15 mm
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4028605
Thanks anon, to a newfag like me the reviews read ambigiuosly like they were reviewing wine.
>>
>>4028616
sigh fucking seppos and the toys they need to feel safe enough to face the world they created
>>
>>4028626
>seppos
yeah, whatever that means
>>
File: ok.jpg (21 KB, 500x375)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>4028632
learned something new, thanks anon
>>
>>4028629
>>4028632
>>4028636
It's what Australians called Americans.
>>
>>4028626
>>4028632
>>4028645
Thanks again guys, also rate babys first film camera in 20 years, I wanted to get back into it since I was big into photography In the late 90’s early 2000’s and really feel no connection with digital photos. Got pic rel for nothing and I also have a tele lense, flash, and filters that I have no idea how to use well.

Equipment MakeApple
Camera Software15.4.1
Image Created2022:05:05 22:33:04
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness-0.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.15 mm
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>4028616
>he got an aluminium framed Rhino
baka
>>
File: 50rm10.jpg (1.67 MB, 3500x2188)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>4028436
>>4028605
Based.

>>4028599
Most people either think they're god's gift to photography, or just an overhyped / overpriced rich person toy. They do have a long and meaningful history in the photo world, and I definitely consider them a "heritage" brand. There are some working pro's that use them, but they are the extreme minority.

Leica really excels at offering great IQ options at a very compact size, but even then it's quite a premium for marginal gains. They're very functionally limited, and I understand that's part of the appeal for some people, but still. The Monochrom's are a bit more unique, and getting usable shots at 25k ISO is pretty awesome. The M11 sensor is also excellent. Those are the only two things I would consider uniquely special from a tech or performance standpoint. Everything outside of the M and Q series also make little sense to me. I've owned some Leica lenses, but could never justify them again (I'm still very "value" oriented despite my money), and I just stick with the new Voigtlander glass for now.

It's hard for me to see them as anything other than a luxury / novelty item, and I wouldn't interested if worse off financially. They're well made, and offer a "refined" experience, but god forbid you have to send one in for repair or service. I truly don't get the obsession with rangefinder focusing. It is quick and relatively precise, but has limitations, and is still just a focusing method. Shooting with an offset OVF with frame lines is definitely a great experience, but again, other cameras offer that with much more functionality. The metering is pretty poor compared to most modern cameras. I used my film M's meterless, so I'm very comfortable doing everything manually, but if a priority mode gets me the shot with less work, I'm all for it. Same goes for focusing, I can MF just fine, but if AF can work better, I'm all for it.

I can link some more posts here out of my M10-M, but here's a side-by-side with a 50R for fun.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 23.3 (Windows)
Image Width3500
Image Height2188
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2022:05:12 07:57:49
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width3500
Image Height2188
>>
>>4028435
Imagine being so poor you think $10k is alot
>>
>>4028463
Which Leica you got. Was it worth the price?
>>
>>4028844
Post anything of value
>>
>>4028599
Yeah you pretty much got it. It's more about the experience than the results. Kinda like using a bolt action rifle, or a manual transmission, or baking bread from scratch. Sure, you can get there using superior technology and with more convenience, but if you care about the actual process, that's what Leica's for. Really, that's how I feel about older or manual-everything cameras in general. Fuckin' expensive, though.
>>
>>4028874
I had a M240 with a 50mm ZM Zeiss.
I got a dog so I had to sell the Leica as I need to be able to shoot with one hand.
>>
>>4028874
Sorry, forgot to talk about the price. Because I bought after all the depreciation I sold it for the same or maybe even slightly more than I paid for it. You don't really lose much buying an older Leica.
I think one day I'd get an M10 if it comes down to £2000.
I also had a Q which I got for a £1800. Lovely camera with the best fly-by-wire manual focussing I've ever used. Sadly though 28mm is not for me and it's pretty damn big for a "compact" camera.
>>
>>4028895
>the best fly-by-wire manual focussing I've ever used
How did it compare with Canon's first generation USMs or have you used those?
>>
>>4028655
opposed to the non aluminum framed one which doesn't exist. Would've been cool if the one that dropped into my lap had that dope gas station pocket knife rainbow finish though.
>>4028603
Also have a shitload of other non remarkable misurp guns, the 2 I posted are the only interesting ones, unless you really wanna see the beat up glock I wear for work and guns from my poorfag days.
>>
>>4029099
meant non mil surp
>>
>>4028891
you unironically articulated the reason for using leica cameras better than any youtube hypebeast ever has.
>>
>>4029105
Thank you, I try. Lots of people like to shit on it because it's so expensive, which I get, but it's a luxury item. The amount of money you pay for it does not matter in regards to its use case. Like, you buy a Leica for the experience, the feel, the manners of it. Just like how you don't buy a Rolex just because you need to know what time it is.
>>
>>4028435
go to /biz/ rn and you'll realize how much money they lost
>>
Found a B&H photography podcast that talks about the history of Leitz and how they helped Jewish families by giving them jobs and teaching them how to repair Leica cameras. They also gave them cameras that they could sell in a pinch which helped families that needed to relocate.
>>
>>4028891
>>4029200
ah yes, the experience of using a £5000 panasonic with less features.
Your comments may apply to old film leicas but certainly not their digital cameras, there is absolutely nothing special about them any more. They offer the same experience as any other digital camera
>>
>>4029303
I mean you're not wrong, but if I'm gonna spend 5000 bongs on anything, on purpose, I'd at least wanna make sure I get that very specific thing I'm looking for.
>>
>>4029303
>They offer the same experience as any other digital camera
similar, but definitely still not the same for M models
>>
>>4029303
there's an argument to be made for their lenses, but you're 100% right. it's like people buying pinarello bicycles, reputation built on long-gone handmade italian steel bicycles, now taiwanese subcontracted carbon.
>>
>>4028435
imagine caring this much about what people do with their money. also if you think that's a lot of money never go into video
>>
>>4029381
Honestly, I think it's a better argument for the cameras over the lenses. The cameras (M mainly) offer at least some level of unique experience or IQ.

The lenses aren't mechanically that different from other, cheaper lenses. The IQ in many cases is better, but very marginally so. In many cases you can spend more to get the Leica lens, only to have it perform worse than a cheaper alternative.

For example, if you want a 35mm f2, and compared the Voigtlander Ultron to the Summicron. The Voigtlander focuses closer, is smaller / lighter, optically sharper, and nearly 1/5th the price. At 11x the price, you have the Leica APO I guess.
>>
>>4029381
>there's an argument to be made for their lenses
true yeah I forgot to mention that, their lenses are famously good
>>
>>4028435
If you thought that is expensive look at the Cine Leica Summilux-C set. BTW the prices listed on said photo are just for renting. A set will cost you $250k to buy. The format is super 35.
>>
>>4028844
>Imagine being so poor you think $10k is a lot.

According to CNBC 2022, 65% percentage of the population in the US are living to pay check to pay check.

According to CNBC only 15% of the population in the US has over $10000 in savings.

$10k in cash is a lot of money for the majority of the population in the US.
>>
>>4029615
kek americans are retards, theyre some of the richest people on earth but they're too stupid to save their money
hopefully those fat cunts get a reality check soon
>>
>>4029613
>cine lenses
what does this have to do with anything, cine lenses are always stupidly expensive
>>
>>4029615
>only 15% of the population has over $10k in savings
Does that include investments? I only keep around $10k in savings at any given time because I invest pretty much everything else I make.
>>
>>4029615
five figures in a savings account is throwing money away, diversify investments
>>
I paid 100 dollars for my IIIc
>>
>>4029615
Damn this genuinely made me feel good thanks anon. Feel bad for the majority though.
>>
>>4028435
>Buys used leica for 1500 euro
>Use it for 10 years
>Sell it for exact same price
You guys still spend money on cameras? I basically borrow them
>>
>>4028435
> scammed
It's a conversation piece. For all the average Leica owner cares it could be completely incapable of taking pictures.
>>
>>4029965
how?
>>
>>4030127
recommend me a good one that doesn't break within those 10 years pls
>>
>>4030133
>It's a conversation piece
this is how you know you're wasting money, if they try and cope with "it's a conversation piece"
see it with watchfags all the time
>>
>>4030133
>>4030211
>I am poor and mad
>>
>>4030245
nigger my camera probably costs more than your leica difference is it's actually worth the money
>>
>>4030337
You sound poor and mad
>>
leicas are expensive when compared to other cameras
not that expensive if you compare to other hobbies like cars, watches etc especially if you take into account that they are pretty much the best on the market

myself couldn't justify a leice bc i'm nearsighted af so i depend on a screen/reflective mirror in order take pics
>>
>>4030386
Comparing photography to cars as a hobby in the context of a Leica is a bad example.
The Leica is one of the most expensive cameras in the market by a massive margin, and always has been.
With cars you can get a (new) shitty econobox for like $15,000 and while it may get you from point A to point B just like a $100,000 McLaren might, the McLaren is capable of things the shitbox will never ever be able to do. That’s why it’s worth $100,000.
The Leica on the other hand has nothing going for it but its name. There’s nothing it can do that any other camera going for half the price can’t do, maybe even better.
>>
>>4030825
I guess it depends what model, and can definitely agree for the SL, CL, TL, and S systems. Couldn't disagree more on the M system. Don't think Q is that unique, but I don't think the pricing is that crazy for what you get either. I totally agree that they are much worse in terms of price to performance (or functionality), but crazy to think they don't offer a unique product experience.
They make the only full frame rangefinder cameras on the market, period. They also make the only consumer level monochrome sensors, which are uniquely awesome.

I know nothing about cars, what can a McLaren do, that a econobox cannot?
>>
>>4030843
200+mph with enough driving aids and active downforce that you might not crash it. Jesus shitfucking pisschrist you do not want to join the 200 club in a riced out muscle car on a mountain pass.
>>
>>4030843
>I know nothing about cars, what can a McLaren do, that a econobox cannot?
it cannot haul 4 people like a econobox would, but it's way faster and thrilling

leica s system has the largest 3:2 sensor, while retaining basic 35mm slr shape and size
it's not an awfully good spec but it's certainly unique to it, so it might be what someone looks after
same, but even more obvious, for m system, monochrome etc

leica is either the best or the only manufacturer to put on market such things so it's valuable

is it expensive? yes when comparing to other cameras, but it might sound very reasonable depending on what you're after, and how do much you want it
>>
>>4030843
If https://youtu.be/ack6bex0IuE is the 90s consumer camera race, then https://youtu.be/TCVGLNbH3OQ is the rolleiflex that was faster than large format airplanes and https://youtu.be/xzx5mB9SRk0 would be contemporary to the real Leica M. The Leica would be the bike.

There, now you know about cars.
>>
>>4030857
Sorry, not going to spend +10 minutes watching videos of something I don't really care about. Thought it was a simple question I asked, but I guess not.
>>
>>4028616
Ask my how I know you're a metal gear larper
>>
>>4030861
Blocked.
>>
Q2 with 50mm fixed lens will be ideal
>>
>>4030181

by not shopping on eBay or any of the other hipster magnet sites.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.