[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ARICOCM075374082.jpg (35 KB, 500x500)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
So it's my favourite focal length, nice and compact, good for one-handed use and great jpgs and "film simulations".
But it's £900... Seems way overpriced for what it is but it's literally my perfect camera.
Is it justifyable? How much would you pay for your perfect camera?
>>
which model even is this?
there are a few different generations of film and digital with different sensor sizes…
>>
>>3987370
if you know you're gonna use it for years it's good.
>>
>>3987372
The newest one. GR iiiX.
>>
I got bored of my GRii after a couple years and sold it. Being limited to 28mm and having to keep it in a case to avoid dust were the deal breakers.
>>
>>3987378
This new one is 40mm equivalent. It's the best focal length.
Fuck 28mm. If I wanted wide I'd use my phone.
>>
>>3987370
>literally
No such thing as a perfect camera AND that thing is a fucking meme anyway. Think of all the cool shots you'll miss by being restricted to one rather pedestrian focal length.
>>
>>3987425
I've been doing it for the last 8 years with no problems. In a pinch I use my phone for wider than 40mm anyway.
>>
I think it will keep its value fairly well for a year or two so you can buy it and not worry too much about losing value.
>>
>>3987425
how can you have such a retarded take on a photography board? do you know the differences between prime and zoom lenses?
>>
File: ricoh histoire.jpg (266 KB, 1836x684)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
i had a gr digital IV for a short while with a 35mm fov external viewfinder.
all of the digital versions have great image quality. even the earlier versions for their cdd sensor and large aperture.
keep in mind they are very specialized and dont feel bad if you decide to get rid of it.
i had mine for a few months with a viewfinder. even though i decided to get rid of it i have no regrets its a very fun piece of kit.
if you are into candid shooting or whatever fast paced documentary stuff it is perfect.
i would guess id have one on me at all times if i was a journalist or whatever.
got the body for 100 international currency locally and a viewfinder for 130 on ebay.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
>>
>>3987664
this specific viewfinder is crystal clear with very bright framelines, good magnification, premium quality, small. would recommend
>>
>>3987370
built in flash is essential for me so I chose an xf10 instead. far from a perfect cam for my standards but I have no issues doing fast street with it and the price was reasonable when I got it.
>>
>>3987370
I can't use point and shoots with monitor only. Horrible experience.
>>
>>3987922
It's something that used to bother me but I kinda got over it eventually. There is an optical viewfinder available but it's like £300 for some reason.
>>
>>3987389
As someone who use a GR, I can say there's a big difference between using it and my phone. The pic is surprisingly crisp and clean and the snap focus is amazing. Phone camera has little control and some results are weird. Also GR's APS-C sensor means I can get better image in lower light. Also it has built in RAW editor.
>>
>>3988846
I love the photos it produces but I just can't get into 28mm. the 40mm will be perfect but I still feel that £900 is insane.
>>
>>3987370
Ok here's a trick for when I want to spend money on camera gear

I go arround thrift stores and find Hiking backpacks, film cameras and other electronics that are in good condition or new and try to sell them on eBay at trending price but settle for the first decent offer i get so far I've made like 400 dollars that i can spend guilt free on some kit

You can also list it in fb market and not have to worry about shipping
>>
>>3987370
but anon that's petty much the best compact camera in the world, regardless of price
>>
>>3988892
Thanks for the idea, I needed to go to a thrift store anyway to buy some props for a project for a photography class, and using that trip to also find funding to buy a new lens would be nice.
>>
At 24MP, 28mm GR3 allows you to crop in 35mm and 50mm focal lengths.If you don't need to print huge, the crop modes are perfect, giving you more fun by just carrying one camera. Fuck 40mm GR3x. That's for boomers.
>>
>>3989940
Shut up you idiot. 50mm crop on a 28mm lens is awful. That's a sensor size as big as a smartphone,
>>
>>3989973
Do the math please. Even at 50mm crop, the sensor area used is still many times bigger than your iphone sensor.
>>
are they actually good or just a street photography meme? theyre fucking expensive in australia, like only a few hundred less than what i paid for a ff with two lenses
>>
>>3987370
Buy once, cry once
>>
>>3990000
Dubquads of truth
>>
>>3990000
It’s between double and triple the size of my iPhone. Doesn’t sound like the best use of the camera desu.
>>
File: IMG_20220120_144441.jpg (869 KB, 1043x696)
869 KB
869 KB JPG
>>3990133

I don't think they meant the camera should only be used for 50mm crop. 50mm crop is quite a bit on it, but as long as you realize you won't print as large images it's fine. For online it doesn't matter at all and most of us should realize we will never print anyway.
>>
>>3990143
I make photobooks every year. GR is far too wide for me so it won't work unfortunately.
>>
>>3987370
>Costs as much as a quality lens
just get it now, who knows if there'll be a future model.
>>
>>3990493
once ricoh goes direct to consumer in just a few months prices will go down and features are going up. expect the new GR to be amazing.
>>
>>3987378
What's the alternative?
>>
>>3990495
Not him but I sold mine for an X-E3 and the 27mm pancake. Much less compact but I love the 40mm focal length.
>>
>>3990497

I have the 27 pancake, but I'm not terribly fond of it. Perhaps I should try and use it more. It's decent optically, but i dunno. I use my 18mm a lot though. It's a bit bigger than the 27, but still small and very sharp... And has aperture ring.
>>
>>3990503
My 27mm has an aperture ring. It’s the new version.
>>
>>3990508

Ooo. It's wr now too, i see.
>>
>>3987370
I'm really really getting super fucking creeped out by the internet

I haven't taken photos in 6 years and randomly out of the blue I remembered I have a Ricoh GR still and decided to find it. I found it 15 minutes ago and came to this board which I have basically never done and now I see a thread on this niche camera.

A bunch of other weird shit been happening too. I made a thread on a very obscure New Vegas character and the first 3 comments were exactly the same about some weird little anecdote that would have been impossible if there wasn't some weird cosmic consciouness/massive mind control thing going on.
>>
>>3987370
I've never had a digital camera that apes the look of film more than the Ricoh GR.
>>
>>3990546
The GR is a very common topic on this board. Also this is specifically the GR iiiX which isn;t the one you have.
>>
>>3990546
It’s me anon, I’ve been watching you this whole time
>>
>>3990546
people on 4chan always cireclejerk about the same shit anon, this is like freaking out about being gangstalked because you just watched evangelion and see best girl threads on every board
>>
>>3990675
no man
there is converging consciousness
it's basically this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJ5cCP0ZPE

I think it's nefarious though
>>
>>3990085
It's your country's fault that everything is expensive. I bought some video games there and now I feel robbed.
>>
>>3990546
There's 3 threads about Ricoh GR anon, and /p/ is a very slow board. Some threads can stay up for a whole week or even a month untouched.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.