[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20211121_191110.jpg (447 KB, 1378x2048)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
Straight to the point, what's the best cheapest starter camera someone can buy? If you were just starting like I am wich one would you buy.
>>
>>3966950
Used high-end point and shoot
>>
>>3966950
I've been shooting for a little over a month. I bought a Canon EOS Rebel T7 brand new. I like it
>>
>>3966950
This question is asked twice everyday and is completely pointless, is it that hard to fuck off tp the gear thread ?
>>
>>3966967
Fuck off, cunt. This board is always get tourists, so either do something helpful about it or get your panties out of a twist.
>>
>>3966950
Canon Rebel or 5D
Used Sony APS-C mirrorless with the kit zoom or a Sigma 30mm prime
Micro four third camera with a zoom or the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
>>
>>3966950
Start by telling us what you are going to be using it for.
>>
>>3966970
The problem is that tourists never give enough information for anyone to be able to give any meaningful advice, and often they even get angry when prompted. Maybe the janny can put something about that in the sticky?
>>
>>3966950
>starting
at this point I'd just use my phone and install Snapseed for post processing
>>
>>3966950
zorki 4k
>>
>>3966950
The cheapest is to use the phone that you already have. It’s as good as anything for learning the most important skill in photography, composition.

Eventually you’ll run into the phone’s limitations, with things like low light performance and no telephoto lenses, but by then you will have learned enough about photography to know what you need in your next camera, or at least ask the right questions in a gear thread.
>>
>>3966950

A compact digital camera with some control is the best cheapest starter camera by far, it can give you incredible results (go check the digicam thread). Canon Powershot G10 would be my best bet, you can get one for 80 dollars or more and don't have to stress over gear.

Also "cheap" depends on your budget.
>>
>>3966970
The problem is not being a newbie. The problem is not doing the minimum of research by yourself and posting here without reading the rules. Whatever the field, asking "what is the best gear for beginner ?" is almost never a good question. And of course here it makes even more useless discussions about gear instead of a photo thread.
>>
>>3967042
This. I actually think it’s a fun puzzle to figure out what gear is best given a set of goals and constraints. But when the OP doesn’t give any, not even a budget, it all becomes a pointless waste of time.
>>
>>3967042
There are no rules against posting gear threads.
>>
>>3966950
You really shouldn't be asking that question. You either like photography or you don't. If you have an interest in buying a camera it's more likely that you do, so go for something good. You should invest $300-500 for a used body. Look for a high end from 5-10 years ago. If you want to shoot in the dark look for Full Frame options. Take in mind the difference between sensor size and pixel density. Cameras with larger sensor and pixel size (thus lower resolution) perform better in the dark than those with high pixel density (larger resolution). I have an APS-C (small sensor), the Nikon D3300 and i'm satisfied.

If you really want the cheapest starter camera, a $50 point and shoot like some old coolpix will suffice.
>>
>>3967042
Go fuck off to /g/ you cunt. Come on and tell me how are people going to post pictures if they don't buy a fucking camera in the first place. It's easy to fuck up when you're starting in a hobby in which you must drop a grand on equipment just to begin.
>>
>>3967144
The issue isn't that people shouldn't buy cameras. The issue is that people shouldn't make gear advice threads without being the least bit forthcoming about what their needs are so we can give useful advice rather than just waste everyone's time.
>>
>>3966950

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwarePaintShop Pro 23,00
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width800
Image Height487
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Width800
Image Height487
>>
>>3966950
Is that your photo? It made me smile.
>>
>>3967346
It's pretty straightforward thread. Op is asking /p/olacks what would they buy if they were buying on the budget today. And he's starting with a cute photo instead of a camera, which is a big plus compared to other gearthreads.

>>3966950
x-t200 or x-t100 body only + meike 35mm f1.4
>>
>>3966950
What do you want to shoot OP?
>>
>>3967393
>It's pretty straightforward thread. Op is asking /p/olacks what would they buy if they were buying on the budget today. And he's starting with a cute photo instead of a camera, which is a big plus compared to other gearthreads.
He didn't state what he wanted to shoot, and he didn't state a budget. "Cheap" depends heavily on context. A cheap birding rig is an order of magnitude more expensive than a cheap streetshitting rig. And cheap to a teenager just starting out and cheap to a working adult are also two very different things.
>>
>>3967617
You're being an asshole for the sake of being asshole.
>>
>>3967648
I'm the asshole here? It would have taken OP ten seconds to add this most basic information to give us at least a fighting chance to come up with some meaningful advice for his use case.
>>
>>3967648
That’s what people do on this website. In fact, it’s the main reason people come here.
>>
>>3966950
The $500 black friday deal tier like m200/m50
Some MFT cameras get there often like EM10ii and GX85
>>
>>3966950
Get a 2nd hand crop dslr or mirrorless kit from last 10 years. Canikon or whatever brand as long it's in fully working shape. It's just a beginner tool.
>>
>>3966950
your phone
>look at old/current photographers and photo sites see what interests you
>check what gear they're using to achieve said photographs
>shoot a lot
>develop interests THEN buy the camera that suits your needs
if you dont need a tele/zoom, buy a point and shoot (ricoh gr series, fuji xf10 or similar). else if you want versatility, buy a cheap dslr and some lenses to cover the ranges or the focal length that you desire. it's about what things you like to shoot and use the tools to complement or elevate your pic shooting experience. and for your first few cameras, just buy used so you wont lose a lot if you decide to sell them after a few months.
>>
File: 89743827324.jpg (36 KB, 798x644)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>3966984
>learning the most important skill in photography, composition.
>>
>>3970572
same, why do people think this? maybe its subjective but i find creating a mood via colors/values, exposure, contrast etc is way more important than composition
>>
>>3970572
>>3970624
>have good colours
>good contrast, exposure
>damn good subject
>place them haphazardly in the framr because composition isn't important
>why does my photo suck?
>I can't put my finger on it
>>
>>3970624
I have hard time understanding your post. I can't even imagine what a good photo with a lousy composition can look like. Composition can be achieved with light. Maybe you're talking about that.
>>
>>3970637
Sure. composition with light/shadow in mind is interesting and probably even necessary, i'm mainly referring to people who think you need to compose with physical object(s)
i also come from the world of noise "music", which is a very chaotic form without much in the way of composition, its more about texture and atmosphere, and i would find it interesting for a photographer to approach their work in the same kind of way
>>
>>3970642
Then it's just misunderstanding. As I understand the first post in this chain, anon was talking about composing as in framing the shot. As I see it, photograph can be entirely abstract, without any subject, but it still needs to be framed and composed properly. Composition is still there, It's possible to have completely abstract photo with bad composition.
>>
>>3966961
I got a rebel T5 last year from some college chick that used it twice for class. I'm not good but it's fun
>>
>>3970672
That was my understanding too. No matter what your elements are, you need to compose them. It's as simple as that
>>
>>3966984
You can only get so far doing that shit... getting my hands on a manual focus and learning exposure triangle has done more for me than not knowing where to start with a phone. People can have different angles to why they are coming to photography, and what is going to keep them pursuing perfecting it.
>>
>>3967648
Hes right though. Film/digital is the beginning of the context and you still need more direction from there. If you havnt Sussed this out I'm wondering if you're just here for the drama and other people's photos.
>>
>>3970572
Composition is poor man's visual weight
>>
File: 1635181698959.jpg (16 KB, 307x462)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>3971064
How do you give something visual weight then?
>>
>>3971871
you attach actual weights to the photons with like... tiny hooks or something

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.