[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 15 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sony_a1.jpg (139 KB, 1000x1000)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
I want to buy a Sony A7R4 because of the lens options. But I keep reading that the narrow lens mount causes more image noise because of the steeper exit angles. Should I buy a Nikon Z7II instead?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.10.22
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2021:09:15 18:37:40
>>
>>3939842
>Snoy
>vignette galore
>Nikon
>sane mount + you can painlessly adapt 60 years of Nikon F lenses
dunno man, seems like a close call
>>
>>3939842
>steeper exit angles
This only really causes problems with certain adapted lenses, like Leica M wides that have a rear element that sits really close to the focal plane
>>
>>3939842

Use your brain for literally 5 seconds and ponder how the fuck a lens mount would create more noise. That's just literally not how it works.

That said, the a7R IV has decently high noise because it's an incredibly high resolution sensor. You want less noise? Go R3 or A1, or S3.
>>
>>3939842
The Sony lens mount isn't large enough for f0.7 lenses, go find some f0.7 lenses you like and report back if there's any issues.

>>3939847
This has nothing to do with the mount size, and everything to do with those lenses being designed for film, all digital cameras have issues with lenses with rear elements too close to the sensor with too wide a lens, when using lenses not designed for digital.
>>
File: 20210805-DSC09613.jpg (1.21 MB, 3662x1831)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>3939866
https://petapixel.com/2019/03/06/sony-e-mount-lenses-could-be-as-fast-as-f-0-63-theoretically/

>>3939842
>I keep reading that the narrow lens mount

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7RM3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 10.2 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)200 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2021:08:25 21:41:05
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Brightness7.9 EV
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length200.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
>>
>>3939866

Let's simplify this even more: go find some f/0.7 lenses you like. idgaf what mount it's for, go show me a *good* f/0.7 lens, made by anybody.
>>
Give me a reason to buy the f/1.4 over the standard f/1.8 50mm other than build quality

After all the research I've done I just don't think the extra bit of aperture size is worth triple the price and I couldn't care less about the 1.8 being made of plastic but what's your guys opinion
>>
>>3940001
>Don't care about speed or optical properties
>Don't care about build quality
Why ask then? the 1.8 is also smaller so buy away
>>
How do you decide what / where to photograph? I’ve barely ever been taking pictures anymore. If theres some kind of event im going to ill take my camera and still sometimes will do some abstract stuff (usually macro) if i see something that gives me a good idea but i never go out specifically to get photos anymore and that feels like a shame.
>>
What kind of ISO settings do you use? Do you always set it manually, do you keep it at like 100 and only raise it if you must, do you keep it on auto (if so what max iso do you have specified)?
>>
>>3940014
Depends on what kind of pictures i want to shoot. If i want to shoot long exposure, i will use iso 100. If i want to shoot fast subject, i will increase the iso
>>
>>3940020
So you typically are manually adjusting it along with the other settings? I generally don’t notice much graininess up to around 20000 iso for my body so i typically just leave it on auto with the limit around there
>>
>>3940012
If it feels like a chore then you won’t do it. What do you like taking pictures of? I like taking pictures of plants, mushrooms, and cats while on walks. And I like taking pictures of my friends. It should have some direct benefit to your own enjoyment and mental well-being.
>>
>>3940014
im rocking the a7ii and set ISO auto to 100/6400. Works well in dynamic situations.
>>
>>3940001
The EF 50mm rendering is fucking gross, that should be reason enough. And once you take transmission of the 2 lenses into account, the f1.4 is just shy of a whole stop faster, allowing you to shoot and focus in half as much light. You'll regret not just getting the 1.4 in the 1st place.
>>
>>3940014
I use auto if I'm in decent to good light. min 100, max 25600, standard auto iso min shutter speed
>>
>>3939842
this is sure to be a productive discussion
>>
I will Travel to south America and i know that robbery IS a common thing there. So i dont want to take my 5k camera setup, and it's too old for having a décent insurrance. So i thinking to go with my smartphone, a osmo and smartphone lens. My question : Smartphone lens are really bullshits ? Because i want to buy some for my Travel i have like a 200 $ budget. Do you know good ones ?
>>
>>3940023
I am using aperture priority, so i only control aperture and iso

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.