[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 40 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Loxia edition
Old: >>3934642

I never knew the Loxia 35/2 was the same as the ZM Biogon 35/2, but adapted for non-Leica sensors. I had considered buying a digital M for those ZM lenses, because I miss the Biogon I used to have. Best lenses I've ever owned. Time to sell my Samyang 35/1.4.
>>
Does /p/ put stickers on the hoods of their long lenses like people do with laptops? or is that lame?
>>
is there a fucking wide angle lens at 8mm or less that works on the BMPCC without costing a fortune and without vignetting? C mount lenses included
>>
>>3938641
lol
>>
>>3938634

My 70-200 f4L IS and 150-600 Tamron are stickerbombed with Bonneville Speedweek shit
>>
>>3938674
what an incredible contribution, thanks for replying
>>
Is my only sensible option for a super telephoto lens the Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm? I don't mind using older lenses but at long focal lengths they seem to be either notably slower, have bad IQ, or both.
>>
>>3938732

Probably. The Tamron model isn't bad, get the later G2, the G1 had a recall on the front element getting dust and shit in it.

For the same price as those super-zoomy teles you can get a nice 300/2.8 in your flavor of choice
>>
File: 1615051300212.jpg (454 KB, 1920x1920)
454 KB
454 KB JPG
>>3938542
Loxia 25/85 is the real power couple.

The 35 and 50 are old timers, just with some strict quality control.
>>
>>3938732
>Is my only sensible option for a super telephoto lens the Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm?
I heard from naturephotographers the Sigma and Tamrons on EF and F mount never really hits exact autofocus, so you will always get very blurry results in half of your photos.

Sigma's DG DN series, and VXD series work really well though.
>>
File: laowa argus35.jpg (449 KB, 1920x1080)
449 KB
449 KB JPG
Canon has done goof'd. On the EOS R Just changing the aperture can apparently mess up the auto-whitebalance.
>>
Looking to get the 7artisans 35mm f1.2 for Fuji.

I'm used to shooting in manual and wonder what people think of this lens?

Is it worth it to get the 2nd revision that has a closer focussing distancing and goes to f22 vs f16?
>>
what's the best way to test a 14 mm Rokinon? apparently some of them are bad, some are super sharp, how can I tell if I have no other 14mm?
>>
>>3938882
take pictures
if sharp you're fine
if soft return it
>>
>>3938873
It’s a Sonnar formula, like the Jupiter-8, which means that it’s soft and dreamy wide open, with a vintage character. It’s more of a lens for portraits and for artistic interpretation than for sharp realism, at least wide open.
>>
Nikon N-word 2000 camera with clean 28mm f/2.8 and in leather vest.
60 bucks, yay or nay?
>>
Just bought Samyang 24mm T1.5 for E-mount. I paid 170 EUR for it. Did I overpay or was it a good deal?
>>
>>3938734
>get a nice 300/2.8
Or better yet get a 300/4 which is much smaller and lighter and can still accept a 1.4x TC in some cases 2x TC. 300/4+1.4x TC is just enough on APS-C
>>
>>3938834
>auto-whitebalance
The real problem is with the retard who uses auto whitebalance
>>
>>3938793
All it's missing is a 180mm f2.8 Ssonnar
>>
>>3939170
Batis and Loxia were the pet projects of one of the veteran Zeiss engineers.
He passed away a few years ago, so those two lines have finalised.
>>
>RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM will be available this month for $649.
I kinda like Canon's approach of budget lenses with slightly dark apertures. On Sony cheapest 100-400 is $1k.
>>
>>3939222
>100-400
>only usable range for APS-C
>Canon EF-M is a joke
>RF to EF-M is impossible without glass elements and visible degradation
Maybe there will be an RF mount APS-C line like Nikon's Z50
Now you realize Nikon's Z mount is much less retarded than Canon's mirrorless mess.
>>
>>3939272
>only usable range for APS-C
what?
it covers FF
>>
>>3939273
The focal length. 400mm will leave you wanting for more reach on FF while on FF it will be plenty
>>
>>3939459
I meant on APS-C it will be plenty
>>
File: tastysnacks.jpg (190 KB, 1188x667)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
Do y'all keep any of these in your lens bag to prevent fungus? I don't, was wondering if maybe I should be doing that. I live in a super humid area.
>>
>buy high-end camera body that costs thousands of dollars
>comes with an incredibly crummy and tedious strap
Why does every single manufacturer do this? If third parties can make incredibly rugged, versatile straps for less than $100 why don't high-end cameras come with a strap that rivals that level of quality?
>>
>>3939528
Accessorizing strategies, same with buying focusing screens or cases.
>>
>>3939508
I have a proper dry box woth elctrical plug since I live in the tropics. Or just put your gear on a well ventilated room that sunlight can reach. Don't store your gear inside your closed camera bag when its rainy season, I learned it the hard way.
>>
>>3938641
Samyang has a fisheye 8mm got mft
>>
Which is better; the K&F K-series or Nano series CPL filters? The Nano series is multiple times more expensive than the K-series, are they multiple times (or just in general) better filters?
>>
Speaking of straps, are there neck straps that will let the camera naturally dangle lens down? Something that attaches to the tripod mount maybe?

With my current strap and a 135mm if I wear in on my chest it just dangles at 45 degree angle because the strap attaches at the top of the body and the lens is not heavy enough to bring it all the way down, feels like it might damage the mount this way.
>>
About to buy the 135mm Samyang F/2.0, any reason not to? I already know I want that focal length and don't mind MF only.

Was waiting for a better used deal but nothing comes up so I'm settling for 25% off store price.
>>
>>3939726
>Speaking of straps, are there neck straps that will let the camera naturally dangle lens down? Something that attaches to the tripod mount maybe?
A RRS L bracket and just hang a sling from your neck. They use rifle QD swivels so if you have a long lens, it'll hang down
>>
File: IMG_20210915_0805532.jpg (4.81 MB, 3996x2664)
4.81 MB
4.81 MB JPG
>>3939726
>>3939761
>RRS L bracket

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera ModelBBF100-2
Camera Software0
Equipment MakeBlackBerry
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2021:09:15 08:05:53
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
ISO Speed Rating1600
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure Time1/20 sec
Focal Length3.89 mm
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Image Height2664
White BalanceAuto
Brightness-3.6 EV
Image Width3996
Exposure ModeAuto
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
>>3939738
I have that for Sony E. It's a near-APO design and I got it for 300 bucks. Completely ridiculous performance for the price.
The long focus throw is a bit annoying but it makes up for it!
>>
>>3938542

So closer to 1 the MTF curve starts, the more a lens resolves in the center right?
>>
>>3939726
>>3939761
You can also use a Smallrig L bracket and attach PD anchor mounts to the base so it will tilt down when dangling
>>
>>3939508
I keep beef jerky in my camera bag to keep it fresh.
>>
>>3939528
They can't even be arsed to print the model number on the strap like they did with the dslrs.
>>
File: DSCF5016 small.jpg (445 KB, 1500x1000)
445 KB
445 KB JPG
>>3939574
>multiple times
no
probably just water-repellent and transmission-enhancing coating

most filter companies have two series of cpls, an a affordable one (just the two filter pieces) and a decent one (proper coating, sometimes also better glass). always go for the decent one.
k+f is an intermediate quality brand, meaning that they're convinced enough of their product to put their name on it but of course the filters are only a fraction of the price you'd pay for a b+w or breakthrough cpl. if you can't spare the extra 50 to 80 bucks for one of their cpls, go and buy the k+f (you might as well get an amazon basic one judging from the reviews). but in any other case, i would recommend you to get a breakthrough x4 (first choice) or a b+w xs pro (second choice). they'll save you a lot of time with adjusting colors in post and have negligible nd effects.

>>
>>3939855
It's just horseshit honestly. Local camera store here had some 20, 40 and 100 buck options for CPLs here. "Oh if you use GM lenses you really need the 100 buck option, otherwise you'll shoot yourself in the foot".
I picked the 40 buck option and gladly stuck it on my Sigma 24-70 DG DN that outresolves the GM.
>>
File: nd84pto4d0m31.jpg (308 KB, 1816x1494)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
>>3939836
>PD anchor mounts
lol at ever trusting these shitty plastic cords which are now on like their 4th generation because they keep on catastrophically failing over a steel swivel and 1" nylon strap
>>
Why is everyone so passive-aggressive here? This is even worse than the boomers on DPreview

>>3939860
I understand why he would say that and I also get that most camera store clerks don't know a lot about the stuf they sell. Cheap CPLs will polarize just fine, even if you go with the 20 buck option. The problem is simply that the cheaper the CPL, the more things they do on top of polarizing and those are mostly things you don't want them to do (vignetting, reflections, blocking parts of the visible spectrum i.e. color casts). Most of that can be and has been measured objectively. More expensive CPLs tend to just polarize and do very little on top of that, that's why I (and lots of professional landscape photographers) recommend them to people. A lot of people here spend top dollar for negligible improvements in camera bodies (a few extra MP, IBIS, etc.) and then play it cheap when it comes to equipment like tripods and filters. There is a lot of difference between different camera bodies and lenses in price whereas CPLs vary only by about 100 bucks and are an essential piece of equipment for landscape, so I would argue it's worth spending the little extra if only to have the iece of mind to know you're not compromising on quality.

>>3939861
Why did that person attach two of them to the same eye?
>>
>>3939870
have you ever used a PD strap? you have two ends to connect unless it is the wrist strap.

>passive aggressive
you clearly dont understand what passive aggressive means versus outright aggression
>>
>>3939834
Far left of the graph is centre, far right is edge

But they also label whether they're testing for 10, 20, 30, etc line pairs per mm, so you need to take that into account too.
>>
>>3939870
on 4chan?
>>
>>3939508
Silica does tie some of the humidity, but we're talking going from low precent to lower precent. They're useless in high humidity. A towel in the bag will do much better job until you bring it back inside.
>>
File: msedge_dwzxg7qatn.png (1.78 MB, 1920x1080)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
>>3939861
Meanwhile some of them are so strong that they literally tear the camera apart
>>
>>3939991
>literally tear the camera apart
you really are this retarded arent you, you /fag//? the absolute state of fujis
>>
>>3939992
So should PD can add "Stronger than fujis" to their advertising campaign?
>>
>>3938834
if only there was a way to match white balance between shots in post
>>
File: 6545_17536.jpg (42 KB, 640x426)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Guess printers are gear. Anyone do their own prints know if the 12-ink photo printers are worth it?
Have parents' old plotter printer to play with and prints look pretty good on the right paper, but I'm wondering if the quality bump is worth the £600 and additional ink costs. Also intend to sell them and I'm slightly worried about the normal inks fading over time.
>>
>>3939528
Get yourself a two point rifle sling that mounts to you arcaswiss plate and never look back
>>
>>3939761
This. Best strap of all time. Doesn't come with any shoulder pad, so it can be uncomfortable after a day's hike.
>>
I think people will get mad when i will Ask this but : there is some good Lens for smartphone ? I already have a 5k$ camera setup and i'm a professional film maker. I will Travel in south America for 6 months and i dont to have my setup stole (and my setup IS too old (3years) for having decent insurrance possibility). So i thinking to just take my phone a osmo and maybe some Lens for smartphone.
>>
>>3940217
Never really seen those lenses do much good other than for specifically vlogging. The best thing you could do is probably spend a few hundred $ for a drone. Even the cheap ones are stupid impressive for video these days.
>>
>>3940029
have you done the math? A lot of inks for these printers are rated for 6 months before they start drying up and need to be replaced. I looked in to buying some $1k canon or epson, but when I looked in to the inks, they were only rated for 6 months and cost $500 to replace. I have no intention of spending $1k a year on ink just to make a few prints.
>b-b-but you can refill them
the inks will be shittier than OEM because you get what you pay for. they're fine if you're printing office documents that will be read once and then go in to the trash, but will suck shit for long term photo prints.
>>
>>3940031
>Doesn't come with any shoulder pad, so it can be uncomfortable after a day's hike.
I use a 2" Urban ERT sling which is made from the same stuff as a seat belt. Plenty of rifle straps like a Troy Industries I have come with shoulder pads. If the sling can support a 10-12lb rifle all day long, it can certainly support a camera with a 100-400 which weighs half that
>>
>>3940256
yeah, photo printers only make sense if you’re printing constantly, because of maintenance costs and ink expiration. That and if you keep a printer for long enough, the parts and/or inks won’t be made anymore and you’re left with a footstool. So you need to be selling those prints to make up for costs
>>
File: 71HLw7c-snL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (140 KB, 1472x1345)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
any experience with pic related
>ad200 pro
mainly for comfy indoor portraits due to it's size and mobility
>>
File: a063-3.jpg (40 KB, 584x584)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Hmmm, USB-C port on the updated G2 28-75.

It's weird because this will just make them more susceptible to dust and humidity intrusion.

>>
>>3940329
So it's not weatherproof then
>>
>>3940218
Yeah but in lot of south American countries drone fligh m'y IS forbiden for strangers even worst in some countries you Can not éven take a drone in because just import IS forbiden so i tuinkt drone IS not a solution in my case, but thanks for the reply
>>
File: a058-1.jpg (479 KB, 1970x798)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
Datasheet for the new 35-150mm F2 - 2,8.
https://www.scribd.com/document/525597707/T#download&from_embed

It's 1165 gram.
But it's also insanely big aperture, so that's expected.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 22.0 (Macintosh)
Image Width1920
Image Height778
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2021:08:16 22:05:42
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1970
Image Height798
>>
>>3940367
>>3940329
man I wish someone would make a 24-135mm that starts at F2, that would be a GOAT lens... probably not physically possible but a man can dream.
>>
>>3940367
That's 400g lighter than a canon 70-200 2.8
Tamron are actually goated.

>>3939991
Fujis are dangerously fragile and made for teenage girls.
>>
>>3940329
Not necessarily. The port could be sealed off from the rest of the assembly.
>>
File: printer.jpg (47 KB, 450x575)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>3940308
>>3940256
Yeah the math I'm not worried about.
I'm more just curious about that initial investment and the difference in quality, since no one has actual comparisons between the "technical" printers and the "photo" ones as far as I've seen.
>>
Are there compact digital AF zoom cameras that remember the last focal length used when powered off then on again or can be assigned in memory setting?
>>
>>3940439
>since no one has actual comparisons between the "technical" printers and the "photo" ones as far as I've seen.
Lurk more
>>
>>3940444
>yeah bro lurk moar instead of asking question, you have to patiently wait 2 years on this slow ass board for threads talking exactly about what you need to appear
lol
>>
>>3940461
>you have to patiently wait 2 years on this slow ass board for threads talking exactly about what you need to appear
Yes, this is not a yahoo questionnaire, this is an imageboard, you lurk and educate yourself by reading.
If you come up requesting answers that have been giving shortly before then you are a blatant newfag or a dummy who doesn't read, a nigger in short.
>>
>>3940462
there are almost no threads about printing and the ones that come up have at most 5 replies, fuck off retard all those words you wrote to just admit this board is borderline useless
>>
Does a tripod exist that doesn't have the most annoying play in the head? The ball head on my Fotopro droops significantly when I lock an ordinary two-kilogram camera in a portrait orientation, and the horizontal traverse lock insists on rotating some 3-4° when I lock it.

Doesn't have to be a metalworking lathe, but surely there's an affordable tripod that at least locks properly.
>>
>>3940470
yes but good tripods are expensive. I wanted a good quality tripod (buy once cry once), so I got a Feisol CT-3301 tripod base and paired it with a Feisol CB-50D ballhead + QR plate. it's rock solid, light, and is the proper height for me to use without bending over and without needing a shitty center column. but it cost about $500 with tax.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.