[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 91 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Because there’s always other brands, but never Lumix.
What experience do you guys have with these? Anybody own one? Aside from the GH~ for vloggers, they rarely get a mention.
They seem a good quality product, and I’m sure Leica wouldn’t hop in bed with the first person that asked.
I’m not here to argue for or against, I’m just genuinely curious.
>>
>>3930236
For some reason they fell in love in huge cameras lately. GX series is very quiet, possibly abandoned, so if you want small mft camera, you almost need to go Olympus. And their FF cams are still lacking in the lens department for photography. They're still the best there is for video, and one of the best companies to invest into for a longer period. They keep updating their flagships for a record time, bringing up really sweat updates to their cameras. They're a bit like Blizzard of old in that aspect. Constant patches, and little improvement, even when nobody is expecting them. Build quality is also extremely high. You really start to respect it when you move to plastic shit that Sony, Canon, Nikon and even Fuji is throwing at you lately.
>>
File: P1060222.jpg (2.6 MB, 4592x3448)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
>>3930236
My GX80 is still my go-to camera for travel, I use it a lot. I just leave the 12-32mm pancake kit lens on it and I can fit it in any pocket. Decent image quality and good video with excellent image stabilization. That's all I need to bring back memories without it being an unnecessary hassle

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-GX80
Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.2.13
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2020:08:14 21:18:59
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFine Weather
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length12.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4592
Image Height3448
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3930236
Shhhhhhh shut the fuck up dude, Lumix is literally Leica in disguise, no one knows, so let's keep it that way
>>
>>3930301
you can tell because there's l in leica, l in lumix and l in l-mount
the comparisons are there
>>
File: IMG_20201110_004048.jpg (601 KB, 1409x1080)
601 KB
601 KB JPG
They are good cameras, specially the small m43 ones. The build quality is great for the price and the way the controls are displayed lets you use them with one hand, which is surprisingly useful.

For me a gx800+20mm 1.7 is the best compact combination you can get. Or gx80 if you absolutely need the evf.
>>
File: Leica-Lens.png (133 KB, 535x400)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
>>3930302
my Lumix literally has the Leica "L" branding on it...
>>
Had an S1R for a year... Was the first FF camera I've had in a while that felt just right. I have large hands, and find the Alpha series (which I switched to for mirrorless but with adapted Canon lenses). I have no major complaints about the camera except the Autofocus while actually very good, was not up to my work needs any longer, and sold it on to replace it with an 2 R5's. I still miss the camera though, and will consider buying one again for my non-fast-moving photography.
>>
>>3930316
I'm still sad that B&H canceled my order when they had refurb units on fire sale a couple years ago around christmas. That said, after owning a fool frame camera (Z6), I'm kind of over it and I carry my nikon coolpix a more often than the Z. Since this thread is about Lumix, I think the camera I really want is something like the gx9, but with a viewfinder that has the appropriate aspect ratio, not 16:9.
>>
>>3930370
Gx9 is 43, not 16:9. Lx100 is the one with variable sensor size that has native 16:9, 2:3 and 4:3. Only possible because its fixed lens camera.
>>
>>3930393
The viewfinder, not the sensor. The viewfinder panel is 16:9, which is why I passed on it.
>>
Sick cameras with almost the only downside being their spotty AF

>>3930303
I got the gx80 for ibis, but it is quite a big bigger.
>>
>>3930301
>Lumix is literally Leica in disguise, no one knows
Do they make any changes other than cosmetic? Like any internal hardware or software? Sensor?
Or is it literally ½ price Leica?
>>
>>3930627
they are the exact same
>>
i've been thinking of getting an old lumix lx2/3, for a digishit/pocket camera because the 16.9 sounds pretty fun
>>
>>3930628
>they are the exact same
No shit? So they must be a quality piece of gear then.
Why does it always come down to brand arguments on here that never include Pana then? Are the owners just satisfied with a good product and cbf bickering?
>>
>>3930646
basically yes. besides video AF which is known to be their achilles heel (although 2.4 is pretty good especially with SS over 400) i'm more than pleased with my g9+35-100f2.8 - does everything i want to and it cost less than half of a sony body.
and the ergonomics are 2nd to none.
>>
>>3930647
Why does the eye AF on my TZ110 work at greater distance than my S1 ?
Focuses faster too, but I’m guessing that’s due to a smaller lens that the motor can move faster.
>>
>>3930236
Good thread op, I love my g85
>>
>>3931127
Cheers mate, glad you like it, and your camera.
It’s good to hear there are other satisfied users out there - Panasonic fans must just keep their heads down and get on with life, never see them mentioned in the scrappy brand threads.
I’ve got a couple. If the auto focus speed could match Sony they’d be truly incredible. It’s damn accurate, just not fast enough for action sports, so I use a Sony for that. Also great cameras, but I prefer my Lumix for everything else.
I don’t want to derail my own thread, but I’m pretty curious to borrow a Fuji for a few days and see why they’ve got such a strong following and see if it works for me.
>>
>>3931188
panasonic's video AF has one flaw and that is front-back movement, side to side it's on par with everything else.
on your S1, try 4k50/60 and set shutter speed over 400, maybe 800/1000. you'll see a big improvement.
>>
>>3931320
meant for >>3931124
>>
>>3931320
Thanks, I only ever take photos with my cameras, literally never even tried filming anything even to see how it looks.
Any settings tips for raw pics? Usually shoot motorsports or outdoor sports, mainly whitewater kayaking and downhill.
>>
>>3931326
https://camerajabber.com/shooting-sport-panasonic-lumix-g9/

valid for s1, s5 too
>>
File: PSX_20210611_124849.jpg (3.05 MB, 3197x4208)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB JPG
Lumix gx85 here, it's the only camera I have. I enjoy it's compact size it's decent, that being said at the best for low light, I also wish I had an option for a better zoom.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-GX85
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Express (Android)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2021:06:11 12:48:52
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length12.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3931494
Nice one, thanks mate.
>>
File: P1060618.jpg (424 KB, 2000x1333)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
I needed a compact jpg camera for work, and a shitty $100 canon powershot would have done the job but I wanted a real camera to have on me. Got a Lumix ZS100 1" compact for like $400. Little much maybe but its paid for itself, and it actually takes really great photos. And I always have this thing with me. Doesn't replace a DSLR kit but it's accents one nicely.

Might be leaving this job though so I may be selling it again soon.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-ZS100
Camera SoftwareVer.1.2
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)51 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2021:06:08 18:13:35
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating125
Exposure Bias-0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length18.60 mm
Image Width5472
Image Height3648
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3931552
That’s a really cool shot - you using any filter on there? I use a Magfilter with a CPL on mine.
>>
>>3931531
my pleasure, friend.
>>
What do anons think about the Lumix DMS-LF1 and Lumix DC-TZ95? I would like to buy a compact camera to carry daily. Many thanks
>>
File: 50881115868_9adb7c5dd5_k.jpg (357 KB, 2048x1536)
357 KB
357 KB JPG
>>3930236
I love the ergonomics, menus and lens selection of MFT, my g85 feels like a proper camera. I "downgraded" from sony but miss some features on my g85, I hate DoF preview is not constant like sony and the app wont automaticaly convert your raws to jpeg when sending those to a phone.

>>
>>3931127
>>3931188
>>3931498
nice pic!

Thinking of picking this up, can get it for 402$ (new is 620$)

I want to go full autistic mode and play around with the Oly 60mm macro, anyone tried that?
>>
>>3930236
>Leica wouldn't sell out there brand to a substandard product

Didn't stop them putting their name on Huawei smartphones or Fuji Instax did it, or slapping their name on all sorts of mediocre panasonic point & shoots, or collabing with hello kitty and Playboy and every high street designer brand.

Leica are mainly a lifestyle company now, with their separate optics company serving science and medical.

Lumix is small sensor trash made for boomer men going on holiday, to take photos of their haggard sunburnt wives sipping on an all-inclusive Pina colada.
>>
>>3931761
TZ 95 looks like the better of those two.
Bigger sensor, and that zoom is insane for such a small body.
You’ll definitely want a tripod over 250mm. My hands aren’t super steady and there’s often a bit of visible blur on my TZ110 at full zoom.
I think I mentioned it earlier, but a magfilter is awesome for CPL, variable ND etc.
I got the 52mm but you want the next size up because it vignettes at 24mm. Only need to slightly zoom to make it go away so doesn’t really bother me. Also lets me use a bunch of filters I already own.
Id say buy one, you won’t be disappointed. Also consider the 110 if you can find one, pretty sexy in grey/red/silver. Here’s mine, I love it.
Excuse iPad pic in poor light…

Image Width2421
Image Height1860
>>
>>3931908
>Thinking of picking this up
A G85?

TZ110 with magfilter and variable ND

Image Width2017
Image Height1670
>>
>>3931909
>Lumix is small sensor trash…
They’re fucking outstanding for small body cameras. I’m sure I’m not the only person that doesn’t want to carry a full size camera all the time.
Mine literally fits in trousers or a shirt top pocket with room to spare.
1” sensor and 20mp is more than adequate for most occasions.
I won’t lie and say my ff doesn’t take a better pic, but I’ve also got to say it’s not $8000 better. FF for destination shooting, 110 for daily carry. If I find something so good I want an amazing pic of it, I’ll go back with the FF.
>>
>>3931914
>It has a sensor the same size found in some smartphones and it fits in my pocket, but without all the computational photography algorithms that make smartphone cameras so good!

Lol.
>>
I wish they would add either phase or dual pixel auto focus . That is my only complaint as a G85 and G9 owner, primarily aimed at video.

It is just fine, but it has unnecessary struggles that shouldn't be a thing by now. I'm not trying to shoot a cinematic film here, if am shooting video it's mostly my friends or family and seeing it wobble or randomly go out of focus is dumb.

Outside of that, I have a ton of positives. Really nice menu system and a great touchscreen interface. It is really nice being able to drag around my focus like a cursor.

If you're looking into 'DSLR'like, Panasonic does it very well in designing the bodies in that regard. Tons of buttons and dials, and decently customizable.

Their JPEG engine isn't half bad either. Can't load custom profiles like my Nikon, but you can change a good amount. Things like changing highlight and shadow response, being able to bias the white balance (eg. push toward amber-reds, or push towards green-blue). I personally like the L.Monochrome profile.
>>
>>3931912
How is the auto-focus on your TZ110? I have heard that the TZ series tend to be problematic with auto-focus, but can be adjusted through sensitivity settings. What are some reasons you prefer the TZ110 over the TZ95?
I'm keen on the larger sensor size and ISO. But I think I'm too much of a beginner to take advantage of the faster FPS. However, for the TZ95, I really appreciate the greater zoom range, megapixels as well as the battery life/shots. Thanks anon!
>>
>>3931968
>How is the auto-focus on your TZ110?
It’s really good, pretty much on par with a Sony DSLR I have. Fast and accurate.
I have a 110, but no preference between that and the 95. I don’t know if the 95 was available when I got the 110. It came down to that or a Sony RX100_?_. Pana won due to… something, and about half the price. It’s never disappointed me. It has all the manual controls of a full size camera plus the range of several lenses. Also shoots RAW , so a damn versatile little package.
The EVF won’t blow you away, but it’s good enough on a sunny day.
Build quality is excellent - turning the lens ring is smooth, and dials have a satisfying “schnick” as you change function.
I don’t have anything bad to say about the competition - it was borrowing an RX100 that made me consider a small camera. Lumix wasn’t a financial choice, but I can’t remember what swayed my decision.
All the buttons are programmable too, so that’s pretty cool.
NZ in lockdown so I’m drinking and rambling sorry!
>>
>>3931917
which phones have a 4/3 sensor?
>>
>>3932014
None.
The largest is 1”, a Sharp/Leica collaboration.
>>
>>3931968
You can find some pretty sharp prices on these at the moment.
I’d be more interested in the 110 due to f2.8 glass and I’d never use more than 250mm zoom.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0778N5DVW?SubscriptionId=AKIAIVD7GGGFRVXRCVNQ&ascsubtag=596182452-5-551489115.1630040558&linkCode=osi&psc=1&tag=roundforestau-22&th=1

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0778TJG5Z?SubscriptionId=AKIAIVD7GGGFRVXRCVNQ&ascsubtag=122235938-5-551489115.1630040558&linkCode=osi&psc=1&tag=roundforestau-22&th=1
>>
>>3932014
Did you miss the part where the person I replied to explicitly mentioned Lumix with a 1" sensor.

Lmao, too mad to read, too fat to breed, just your typical angry & poor 4channer.
>>
Moving to Lumix (I got the S1) was probably the best camera decision I've made. I never use AF so that's no concern, and they've done so many useful firmware updates it's ridiculous. Seeing how much can be done with firmware really makes Canon etc look greedy. Panasonic definitely seem to appreciate the customers they have rather than try and shill them into buying newer/more expensive shit.
It feels greedy to want more but one thing I'd really like to see is a live view composite mode on the S1, I know the S5 has it (not sure about S1R or S1H) so surely it would be pretty easy to add
>>
>>3932252
>live view composite mode
‘splain this please?
>>
>>3932255
It's like a real-time view of long exposures while you're shooting them. The image gradually builds up over time, it's pretty cool. A lot of Olympus cameras can do it too
>>
>>3932257
Cool, just looking at it now on YT.
Pretty certain my S1R doesn’t do this, but if the S5 can, it’s probably only a firmware update away.
>>
>>3932252
>I got the S1
Have you tried the in-body focus stacking? I just learned they can do this by merging selected pics if you use post-focus. I figured it would be the same as on the compact cameras, but being able to merge the images actually makes it useful. My S1R and I are currently separated due to lockdown, but I’ll have it back in a few days. (Ha “just a few more days bro!”)
>>
>>3932259
olympus has had it for years, nobody else has copied it
bizarre because its actually one of the best features on olympus bodies
>>
>>3930646
he's trolling you dude. that or he's completely fucking delusional.
>>
>>3932257
so it shows you on the lcd how the image is built over the long exposure?
>>
>>3932228
>>3932012
Thanks anon, much appreciated! I think I will settle for the TZ100 then (European version). There are quite a few for a good price on ebay. I think what I really find more appealing is certainly the sensor size as well.
>>
>>3932363
Nice one bro, let us know how it goes!
They do remarkably well in low light too.
This was just messing around when I got it, was leaning against a power pole or something, no tripod.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-TZ110
Camera SoftwareAperture 3.6
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.3
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)58 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2019:07:06 18:38:25
Exposure Time3.2 sec
F-Numberf/4.3
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length21.00 mm
Image Width3045
Image Height1194
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3932354
Yeah exactly. Most could get by without it but it's undeniably pretty cool and handy to see in real time. There's a group of light painting guys in my area who all use Olympus cams purely for the live comp, and in that scenario it's pretty much the best feature a camera could ever have. Other than the S5 I don't know of any other full-frame cameras that do it, but to be fair I haven't really looked

>>3932279
I've never gotten around to fiddling with that, but someday I will haha. Seems like it would be extremely useful for macro
>>
>>3932501
>I've never gotten around to fiddling with that, but someday I will
Yeah I know what you mean there…
I’ve just been using it like any other camera so far - I need to start exploring what else it can do, I know I haven’t even scratched the surface so far.
I might actually use a couple of days of lockdown to read that giant manual cover to cover and try things out along the way.
>>
They are great 4k video cameras, and pretty ok photo cameras. Lenses are cheap, and decent enough quality to start out with, but not super popular compared to the bigger brands. I've been trying to sell my old g85 and a few lenses without much luck apart from a few very low-ball offers. I personally got it to see if I was into photography and it's a nice entry option, but I feel they lean more towards video on a budget.
>>
Unsurprisingly short thread…
>>
File: station.jpg (276 KB, 1000x590)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
I am looking into buying a GX85 + PL15 to replace my current Fuji S200EXR because I often find the size unbearable, the focal length seems similar (30,5mm eq at the widest on the Fuji with a 4/3 sensor), and there are decent second hand deals, but I have never owned an ILC. Are there any quirks I should know before pulling the trigger or does that combination make sense?
>>
File: 1596224769207s.jpg (5 KB, 174x250)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
I have an GH5, S1R, and S1H. The GH5 still pwns FF Nikon, Canon fags all day long. It's unbeatable, and the client loves Leica lens look over the FFs. I have usually use the s1H as a back up cam same with s1r.

Panasonic Lumix also makes the Leica, as it's no surprise.

The s1R sensor was made by Tower Jazz, who helped make the ARRI sensor.

I live in NYC and make a living using only the GH5, still till this day. The other cameras, while great are big and heavy and function sadly as a back up.

The problem is, Adorama is paid for space by Nikon and Fuji. So there's a heavy bias with their media. B&H is paid by Canon a lot.

Lumix is a sure fire killer. I love their cams. And I am glad I never went Canon or Nikon
>>
File: 1596224769207.jpg (110 KB, 1024x1470)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
Bigger for REF

Image Width1024
Image Height1470
>>
>>3934198
I use the gx85 25 1.7 often and enjoy it, the panaleica is probably similar/ better. There isn't really any difference in ilc other than you have more options.
>>
Anyone got any pics they like with lumix?

Horizontal Resolution144 dpi
Vertical Resolution144 dpi
Image Created2020:04:28 20:59:13
CommentScreenshot
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1803
Image Height1216
>>
>>3935032
the panleica has a really noisy autofocus motor
>>
File: GDR_Border_scout.jpg (926 KB, 1864x2820)
926 KB
926 KB JPG
>>3935032
>>3939145
>the panleica has a really noisy autofocus motor
Not that it matters as I mentioned the PL15 1.7 not the PL25 1.4
The former has a metal construction, aperture ring, allegedly better motor and is marginally more expensive.
As I said I believed starting with a wide angle would be easier as my current camera has a 30.5mm equivalent, I can always get tighter optics later (whether the PL25 or something else).
>>
>>3930236
Happy 1 month anniversary to the Lumix thread!
Anyone got anything new since then?
I took this among others at a factory nearby the other night.
Haven’t got around to processing anything yet, but this turned out pretty good with just a slight adjustment on iPad photos app.
I like to shoot this place b&w mostly, but this one is better in colour for some reason I think.

Image Width2334
Image Height1560
>>
>>3930316
>and find the Alpha series.
Find it what? Too small? I found the battery grip alleviated most of my handling complaints of the a7ii.
>>
>>3930316
>no major complaints about the camera except the Autofocus while actually very good, was not up to my work needs any longer
I hear what you’re saying mate.
I got an S1R too. No camera shops within a 5+ hr drive from here, so bought on specs n reviews alone.
AF is tack sharp - but slow, not great for action.
Luckily I still kept a Sony so that’s my go-to for sports.
In every other respect, I LOVE the Lumix. I’ve only owned Canon and Sony in the past, and I have to say, for me at least, it’s the best I’ve ever used, both ergos and image quality.
I must say I think all modern cameras are pretty great, but this and a TZ110 are my absolute favourites so far.
I’d like to borrow a Nikon and Fuji for a try, but they’re as rare as rocking horse poo where I live.
Lumix don’t get much of a mention despite their ergo, build, and image quality right now but I have to wonder if they’ll be the next Sony in popularity.
When I got my first one (A65 circa ‘09 when new) people told me I was mad because they’re not a camera company. Seems they did ok - hopefully Lumix will get the recognition I think it deserves.
This may seem like I’m rambling because I’m a bit boozed, but I am.
This is handheld with the TZ.

Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Width2304
Image Height1536
>>
>>3932363
>Thanks anon, much appreciated! I think I will settle for the TZ100 then
Did you get one mate? How is it?
>>
>>3942350
>I like to shoot this place b&w mostly
Example:
>>3932417
Forgot I posted this.
B&W TZ110, colour S1R.
>>
hello friends, does anyone has experience with zhongyi lens turbo ii nikon to mft or any other speedbooster?
i would love to hear from you, thanks before friends.
>>
>>3931583
Thanks! Sorry for the month late reply, I forgot about this thread lol. But nope. No filters or post processing, just the straight jpeg right from the camera. Just happened to be perfect late evening lighting.
>>
Will Lumix ever release a compact FF L-mount body ?
Something the size of a the X-E4 pair with compact Sigma lenses like the 24/3.5 and the 90/2.8 would be pretty neat
>>
>>3930236
I'm choosing between the G9 & the GH5 for hybrid shooting with a focus on video (like 65/35 video/photo).
Just how much better is the G9 for stills? Right now it seems like the superior choice, the only real downside seems to be the 20mbps vfr vs. gh5's 100mbps vfr, but idk what that difference looks like.

Will the used GH5 market drop in price before the end of the yr? Or will it wait until the gh6 is shipped?
>>
>>3943359
they have the same sensor and image processing algorithms for stills if I'm not mistaken
>>
>>3943139
>Will Lumix ever release a compact FF L-mount body ?
Definitely maybe.
I think it would need to tie in with an equivalent of ze Germans to fit (what appears to be) their current business model.
>>
>>3943932
Yeah I haven't been able to find any impressive differences for the G9's shooting. Both of them would definitely outclass my skills so I'm really not sure what to do, might just get a G85 desu
>>
>>3944390

Honestly I have both the G85 and G9, and is difficult to say which one.

If you're going on technical terms, G9 is better in almost everyway. My biggest critique is the lack of a built-in flash, or a super compact Flash. Olympus did it right with the bundled TTL for em1ii/em5iii, weather resistant, bounceable Flash that is actually small.

If you like lightweight bodies, you will notice the weight difference.
>>
>>3943932
the g9 has better AF due to the better processor, better burst modes, but lower video specs.
>>
>>3930236
i love my Lumix, its basically a Leica in disguise
>>
I looked at both for a while back here is what I remember.

G9 - better sensor, better low light, better dynamic range
GH5 - 4k pan. you can do a fake pan in 4k footage by cropping all in camera. or you could do this in post.

>>3944549
>g9 vs gh5 has lower video specs
biggest difference is ALL-I codec in Gh5, which means it is easier to edit with on a computer as there is no compression depending on further and previous frames to decode. or you could use proxies.

I got the g9. I like it. what I don't like is vfr slo mo seems really soft, but I may need to improve my manual focus. I really dislike the that there is no linear focusing on the fly by wire. This is terrible for video, and the only camera that does this is S1.
>>
>>3943958
Something the size of Leica Q with interchangeable lens will sell like hot cakes imo
>>
>Leica Q
Jesus fuck! NZ$9,500 for a fixed lens??
It better be worth it.
The last camera we had at a party had something wrong with it and made me look drunk in every pic.
>>
File: olympus.is.gone.......png (103 KB, 721x883)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
>>3930299
>you almost need to go Olympus.
>>
Just wrapped a short film with the S1 in v-log. Used the 24-105 f/4 for majority of it, with a couple flashback/dream type scenes using a Takumar 50mm f/1.4 and modified MIR-1V (the trick where you reverse the front element). Was really concerned about moiré considering the S1 has no OLPF, had heard some horror stories, but monitoring it all closely on the external monitor it only happened once on an elevator door - which a slight reframe fixed. It's looking quite good overall from what little I've seen (editor has the SD cards).

Anyway what really got me though was that I was able to film 10+ hour days on just one battery and a generic powerbank hooked up. Thing is a fucking workhorse. I'm way more of a stills guy but god damn these FF Lumix cams can do it all
>>
>>3947058
Cool mate, post on YouTube, I haven’t tried a vid on my S1R. Doesn’t do vlog, but given I haven’t even tried a vid since it came out, I don’t think I’m missing anything!
>>
Is the LX100 really that prone to getting dust on the sensor? I'm interested in buying one used as a camera to start out with and from what I've seen, dust ending up on the sensor seems to be a reoccurring issue. Some people even mentioned dust reappearing on the sensor not too long after it was sent back from being cleaned by Panasonic themselves. I realize dust ending up on the sensor is a reality for any camera that isn't weather sealed, but out of all the fixed lens compact cameras I've looked into this seems to be a prevalent issue with only this camera, at least so far.
>>
>>3947873
I have a different Lumix fixed lens, 3+ years old. Use it all the time, often at motocross events.
Dust has never been an issue.
>>
>>3947873

I had one for a while and had no issues with dust. I do have other cameras with dust on the sensor and I think it's usually not a big deal. Can be cloned out in 2 seconds if needed.

Basically I think you shouldn't worry too much about it.
>>
>>3947929
Would there be ways to keep this from potentially happening, e.g. keeping it in a bag when not in use or just generally staying out of dusty environments with it?
>>
>>3948065
Mate it’s one of those hyped up things that’s unlikely to happen to you.
Just keep it in a case like a normal camera, and don’t use it in a dust storm.
Like a normal camera.
Don’t even worry about it.
>>
>>3948072
Thanks for the insight. I'll probably buy the LX100 over the RX100 Mark III
>>
>>3948065
Dusty environments when zooming and pocketing in the pockets are your enemies.
Even if some dust gets in, it'll be invisible on most apertures. Advantage of smaller sensors. You only start seeing it past f11 on them.
>>
>>3947873
Bought a second hand one 2y ago.
Took a picture of the sky at small aperture et noticed 5 dust particles on the sensor, tried my best to clean but but I ended just moving the dust across the sensor and adding some particles. I just sent it back to the seller because even if it was not visible in 90% of my shots, it's still a pain in the ass to have a new camera with this type of flaw. Except that, I enjoyed using it for a few days, it was fun to shoot with and image quality was excellent for the low price, but once dust starts to settle in the camera it's impossible to clean. It all depends on your tolerance for that issue, but it's definitely a common occurrence
>>
>>3930236
Why is the S1 lineup so physically large? The S5's IBIS seems somewhat comparable and I doubt the processors are that much larger. Cooling purposes or something?
>>
>>3951454
Cooling and there's a lot of tech in there. Ergonomic considerations for video and professional work as well, mounting huge flashes and screens on a tiny camera looks and feels horrible. Finally, big cameras have a rugged and professional appearance and image is everything.
>>
>>3951454
>Why is the S1 lineup so physically large?
I'm not sure overall.. I have the R, and she's a beast. Definitely really sturdy and quality build though. I actually love it as far as using it goes.
Getting it from A to B can be a bit of a chore at times though, but I wouldn't trade her for anything.
>>
>>3951454
fool frame make for chunky camoras
>>
File: leicadluxtyp109.jpg (24 KB, 474x389)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
anyone know the latest lumix or m43 camera in general manufactured in japan? I think it's the leica dlux typ 109 (leica sibling model to the lx100). The thing is the lx100 was made in china but the typ 109 was made in japan.

>>
>>3930303
At least on my Olympus the 20mm 1.7 is super slow to focus and the motor is noisy and scratchy. Just a bad copy or is this common?
>>
my favorite lenses are on this platform, but autofocus is ass until the GH6 arrives
>>
>>3952311
The 20mm f1.7 is notorious for its slower autofocus. It's nice if you've got time to dial in the focus but I do miss shots because of it
>>
tfw want a G85 so bad
>>
>>3951454

Honestly it looks like Panasonic aimed it for prosumers to professionals. Really solid cameras, haven't heard any overheating concerns (see Canon). It's really a solid lineup, but a hard pass for me unfortunately (love my D800, not the weight).
>>
>>3953041
does the 20mm 1.7 II have faster AF?
>>
>>3957088
oh
>https://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-20mm-vs-20mm-ii-lens-comparison-review-22686
>unfortunately there has not been an improvement in focus speeds
>>
>>3952311
It is slow and the noise is the typical of silent wave motors. It's "loud" for this kind of motor but not scratchy.

In my experience it works faster with Panasonic's DFD af system than others with contrast detection.
>>
Anyone know when the next S- update is coming, or what’s in it?
>>
I heard it’s going to introduce phase detect AF
>>
>>3952697
I have a cheap Oly and AF works very well.

I only ever use S-AF though, no idea how good it is at tracking something in video.
>>
I bought a G7 last year during lockdown as my first camera. No complaints. The Leica 100-400 is magical with it, pic related. Any anons that went from the G7 to the G9 that can tell me if it's worth it?

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-G7
Camera SoftwareInstagram
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)636 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2021:03:20 22:24:27
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/5.8
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/5.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length318.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3962732
I have the g9, but I mostly use it for video. If you do mostly photography, I wouldn't see much difference for you unless you could name a feature that would make it easier for you to take 1000 more pictures. This is me saying this without knowing spec difference. Spend the money, go on a trip and take more pictures, no prob in acquiring more gear if you are honest with yourself though.
>>
The g9 2.5 firmware came out with linear focus control ring. My lumix lenses arent compatible though. Will they be in the future or will they leave the less expensive in the dust?
>>
>>3953041
Thats why I bought the 25mm 1.7 instead. Only con is that it is as big as the 25mm 1.4
>>
>>3962732
damn thats one blurry shot anon. Ever considered getting a bigger sensor camera like a XT30? It's cheaper than your micro four thirds.
>>
>>3962757
you managed to avoid every single supported lens?
>>
File: 71HecKymrDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (124 KB, 1188x884)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
I eventually plan on upgrading to a Lumix S1. Is the 20-60 kit lens good or should I just skip it and get a Sigma or something?
>>
>>3946792
they sold the camera division you retard. They continue to use the name olympus and continue to make cameras.
>>
>>3963029
>Is the 20-60 kit lens good or should I just skip it and get a Sigma or something?
I don't have that specific lens, but I've seen pretty glowing reviews of the S glass in general, particularly the 24-120 it initially came out with.
In saying that, I've also seen a lot of good about the recent Sigma lenses that have come out, and they're damn - uh - I won't say "affordable", but certainly "less expensive".
Do you live somewhere you're likely to be able to try before you buy, or like me, live 5hrs drive from the nearest proper camera shop?
I got the S1R based on reviews alone, the size when it arrived sure surprised me!
I wouldn't trade it for anything, I freaking love it, but man, she's a big girl!
Here's a pic from the other day... it was a bit tricky because I had a tele lens and couldn't move back any further, so you lose the feet ha ha oh well.
I think in this instance it doesn't really matter?
Not on a Pana, just The One I had With Me that day.
>>
>>3963078
Thanks sharing your experience. I have a Canon system so I'm trying to plan ahead and maybe save money by using an adapter but that doesn't seem like a good route. It's all so tiresome
>>
>>3963082
They’re so good man.
I’ve had Canon and Sony in the past.
I still have a Sony for sports, can’t beat the focus speed, but now have a Lumix waterproof, TZ100 and S1R.
TZ is remarkable for its size.
>>
>>3963160
>TZ is remarkable for its size.
Meant to add this…

Image Width2388
Image Height1611
>>
help guys i got really drunk and slammed my lx100 against the table and now the camera cant detect where the lens is, does anyone know where i can buy the servo assembly?
>>
>>3962932
somehow yes. the compatible lenses appear to be the leica and are at base $400. here's what i have

lumix g 25mm 1.7
lumix g vario 14-45
lumix g vario 45-150
>>
File: 1463794327269.jpg (130 KB, 900x563)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>3930236
>and I’m sure Leica wouldn’t hop in bed with the first person that asked.
L-mount was literally dying before Panasonic and Sigma joined.

Sigma and Panasonic is keeping it artificially alive at this point. they keep releasing lenses for it, despite the L-mount losing money.
Whatever money Sigma is losing on L-mount is subsidised by their E-mount sales.
Whatever money Panasonic is losing on L-mount is subsidised by micro 4/3 sales.

Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.0.5
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
>>
File: death rebirth.png (779 KB, 1359x3994)
779 KB
779 KB PNG
Here's the timeline for L-mount fiasco and then revival.

2015 - Here we are! Starting with 3 lenses that will cost you 19 000 dollars! Leica STRONG!
........crickets
....crickets
crickets
Dead mount.
>2018
>Oh shit, we have to do something at last!
>Panasonic! Sigma! please save us!
Ever since Panasonic release FF bodies, the Leica team managed to release 1-2 lenses a year on average.

Annual investments are being made by all 3 now. But the L-mount itself is still on life support.
>>
>>3963293
Dude, they're one small company. They have medium format dslr system, two apsc systems, ff system, and who knows what else.
>>
>>3963305
>Dude, they're one small company who have 50 mounts
They irresponsibility is not my problem.
>>
>>3963306
What are you even complaining about? Do you own every leica l mount lens, and wish for more?
>>
>>3963314
he does seem like a massive gearfag
>>
>>3963314
It wasn't a complaint, it was a statement on the timeline of L-mount.
>>
Looking to make the jump to FF. The S5 looks very nice but the future of L-mount / commitment of Panasonic to FF are scaring me a little. Finding second hand L gear is also reasonably difficult dut to the small market share. I think I'd sleep better if I got into E, RF or Z instead.
>>
File: 1629184558823.png (38 KB, 657x527)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>3963331
>>3963314
>>3963293
>>3963282
super not obvious
>>
>>3963338
That's not me though. I would doubt Z-mount far more than L-mount, because at least L-mount has Sigma.
>>
>>3963340
I ranked Z above L in spite of Sigma, which has a very attractive lens lineup, because at the end of the day Nikon has more skin in the game and market share than Panasonic so I don't expect them to bail, and I'm not looking forward to buying a Leica or Sigma body for my L lenses.
>>
File: 1597506801211.png (104 KB, 492x395)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
>>3963346
>Nikon has more skin in the game and market share than Panasonic
>>
>>3963173
That's pretty nice. I just have a Rebel T7. I was drawn to the S1 because of the low light performance and the fact that it's cheaper than the R5 or R6. I would love a 5D but I think they are going to discontinue their dslr. Which leaves me in an annoying position because I still need a telephoto so I guell I'll have to adapt it.
>>
>>3963350
Glad we're in agreement then, I'll see myself to the daily Sigma fp thread!
>>
>>3962817
1/10 try harder
>>
>>3963045
They're slowly phasing out the "Olympus" name for "OM System" now. Their new 20mm lens has that branding for example.
>>
>>3963350
What's this graph, % of warranty claims?
>>
>>3963394
You know what it is, but you love to "play" retarded.
>>
>>3963429
Yeah I was just being smart.
>>
File: file.png (1.26 MB, 1200x1372)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
Lumixsisters, how do I take good shots with my G7?
I really like it in video mode, much better than anything I've ever owned, but it takes blurry pictures every time, even my Galaxy S21 takes better shots.
I use the kit lens 14-42mm, so it may be that.
Will a cheap speedbooster and some actual lenses make a big difference?
>>
Which is the sweet spot in the TZ line for cost vs benefits? I need a truly compact camera.
>>
>>3963242
i think only the g x will be supported. i only have the 35-100 2.8 ii and it works.
>>
>>3963473
I have the 110. It’s really good.
Fits in any pocket, takes great pics even in low light.
I use a Magfilter for CPL if required.
Use it much more than my S1 because it’s so convenient.
Honestly don’t know about the rest, I think there’s a couple both bigger and smaller? Anyway I tried it in the shop and bought it on the spot. Build is really sturdy, switches schnick satisfyingly… it’s just really good.
I also looked at the RX100, but it was basically double the price for a flippy screen.
>>
File: Auto_tak_35_35_bk.jpg (42 KB, 640x640)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>
File: DC-GX9MS_ALT03.jpg (23 KB, 430x323)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
I'm currently saving up blood/platelet donation gift cards from the Red Cross to buy a Lumix GX9 body. Will be slapping a whole assortment of cheapo Chinese lenses on it, while I then save up for nice lenses.

Oh, reminder that if you are able to, please donate blood/plasma/platelets. Especially if you are O- or AB+, as your shit WILL basically be immediately used to save lives. Yeah, the vampires will skim 10% off the top, but it keeps them from killing people.
>>
>>3963924
I used to donate blood at minimum intervals (every 2 months) because it was one of the few things that brought me genuine happiness.
Kind people talking to me, sweets, the warmth of blood running in a catheter along my arm, and feeling useful to others.
I had to stop after I moved but thanks for reminding me now that I can again.

The GX9 looks like a fun camera, hope you'll get great shots with it!
>>
>>3963352
Thanks, it's nothing special, just some random pic to illustrate the small sensors can get a pretty decent pic at night now.
A bit of editing could possibly make it not bad.
>>
File: 61FFXyB.jpg (69 KB, 1000x796)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>3963924
I almost pulled on one earlier in the year for something. On one side, tilt up evf is awesome, on other side, it's got weaker evf as gx8. Em10iv, and g95 are good alternatives. gx8 can not be found anymore.
>>
Does any Sigma lens work with DFD on S line? If not does it really make a noticeable difference anyway? The I series are very attractive.
>>
>>3963468
I’ve generally found the kit lenses underwhelming and even my $70 all-manual chink lenses seem sharper. Thankfully one of the biggest perks of M43 is that even the good lenses are very cheap.
>>
>>3965366
thankfully, no 3rd party lens workd with DFD.
>>
>>3964730
>>3963924
GX8 here if interested.
https://www.einfo.co.nz/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx8k-kit-14-42-ii-black.html
>>
Help!
Lumix S1R. Did a firmware update recently (don't know if this is related) and used AF-C today for the first time since then.
When I ½ press the shutter button, the viewfinder goes slightly blurry, like it's picking up electronic noise, and there's a bit of a "hum" in the lens (not audible, but you can feel it doing something).
Pics are still in focus, but it's annoying as hell because I can't tell what's in good focus or not.
AF-S and manual focus are fine.
Have reset everything, taken lens off, battery out, that's all I really have in the way of ideas.
Lens and sensor are spotless.
Any ideas on what could cause this, or how to fix?
Or anyone else with the same problem?
Later I'll see if I can install old firmware again.
Any suggestions appreciated.
>>
I recently obtained a GH5M2.
I can't complain about the video quality.
I also can't really complain about too much else - but how the heck do you make the Histogram actually show you where the shadows and highlights are?

Olympus are better at this with their histogram - at least you can tell when the blacks are going to be crushed or your highlights are clipping from their histogram. It's also wider. Now, I hope there's a good way to make the Histogram easier to look at...

Only other comment I have is that... The bigger Panasonic bodies sure look funny with a small Olympus f/1.8 prime on them. I expected more incompatibilities than what I'm finding with running a Lumix body with 0 Lumix lenses.
>>
>>3967899
update the lens fw?
>>
>>3967938
Thanks mate, did body and lens at same time.
it won't let me reinstall either.
>>
Has anyone successfully mounted M39 lenses that extend into the camera body, on the full frame Lumix bodies, like can be done with the Sony a7 bodies?

After I hit a wildland fire or two next year, I'm going to upgrade to full frame. I have an assortment of LTM lenses from when I shot film as a hipster teen in the early 00's, and would love to use them.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D800
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.5.1 (Windows)
PhotographerBastian Kratzke
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Color Filter Array Pattern872
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)85 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:05:01 10:01:28
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Detected
Focal Length85.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3965414
>very cheap
Yeah not really. I ended up ordering a Viltrox speedbooster and going through garage sales to find oldies and have fun with them.
Even if I get a sigma 35mm on Canon mount, it will be better on the speedbooster than on a native M43 right
>>
Is a Lumix TZ60 worth it for 100 euros?
I've been wanting a nice carry everywhere camera
>>
>>3968939
Yep, they’re a great wee camera.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.