[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 83 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]


Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!


[Advertise on 4chan]


File: cheapo.jpg (24 KB, 283x292)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
why even use freeware/pirate?
>>
Because cs6 is better in every way. They really fucked up with the rehash for color profiles and presets.
>>
Because abobe are cunts and your are still the product even though you are supposed to be the customer
>>
yeah also 20gb of storage is included also, you can't even buy a 20gb flash drive a month for that price!
>>
>>3929906
??? $19 gets you 50 times as much flash storage delivered tomorrow. It's not 2007 anymore.

2TB from Google drive is also $10 a month, offering 100 times better value for money, and Google drive doesn't suck balls, unlike Adobe.

Why do the dumbest comments on this site never use capital letters correctly? Hmmm.
>>
>>3929912
lol good luck loosing 1TB of your data

>>3929906
woh, does adobe give you 20gb each month? like it compounds for as long as you're a member?
>>
>>3929912
oh yeah and you get it anywhere in the world synced to all your devices too hey lmao

with it's 2mb/s transfer speeds if you're lucky
>>
File: 1200px-Darktable_icon.svg.png (330 KB, 1200x1200)
330 KB
330 KB PNG
>>3929887
Because I want to support free as in freedom software and I don't want to support proprietary botnet software-as-a-service from a company that would kill your first born if it meant better returns for their shareholders.
>>
>>3929887
Because in a year, its $120 and in 5 years I can buy another computer for that kind of money.

Also - how many subscriptions do you have? It adds awfully quick.
>>
>>3929918
>120 and in 5 years I can buy another computer for that kind of money.

LOL
>>
>>3929919
Dont LOL. Death (even financial) by thousand papercuts is no joke.

Also - computers are steadily getting cheaper. $600 will buy you OK computer today.
>>
>>3929920
yeah $600 pcs are perfect for adobe work

>upgrading every 5 years
>with $600 pcs
>>
>>3929921
What is wrong with 5 year upgrade cycle? That is pretty common.

600$ PC is sufficient for nearly anything apart from gaming. And the only thing that will suffer with that kind of PC is exports. But you dont exatly need to sit through that export.

Also - PC means desktop PC. $600 laptop would be ... painfull to use.
>>
>>3929921
An okay CPU, GPU, hard drive etc from 2015 would have been fine for amateur Photoshop/Lightroom work then, and it would still be serviceable now. I don't know if you've noticed, but PC hardware has slowed down a lot in the last ten years.

I'm also not that anon, I just though you were a massive faggot so decided to reply.
>>
>>3929928
>I don't know if you've noticed, but PC hardware has slowed down a lot in the last ten years.

>completely ignores the ryzen gains every year

can you broke losers make your own board already
>>
>>3929929
>completely ignores the ryzen gains every year
doesn't matter how many 7nm ryzen cores you throw at the abysmal lightroom and photoshop code
it will always be as sluggish as a 5 year old $600 computer
>>
>>3929934
>it will always be as sluggish as a 5 year old $600 computer

okay 0/10
>>
>>3929929
So ... you are buying a new PC every year? Or maybe just a CPU?

>can you broke losers make your own board already

You are a massive faggot. I would really prefer to not spend my time constantly buying shit. Do you even have time to actually go out and take some picture to mangle with your adobe subscription SW running on your $10000 monolyth from 2001 space odyssey looking PC?
>>
>>3929935
spoken like a true nophoto who never had to actually use the shitty software
>>
>>3929936
>goes to $10000 extreme

lmao

>gimp is just as good
>>
>>3929928
>Pc hardware has slowed down a lot in the last 10 years

No, it hasn't, we're only fractionally behind Moore's law of doubling computing power every year.

You have outed yourself as someone bitter at how poor they are though. I have a 3080 ti, it's a fantastic bit of kit. It certainly seems like you're coping by believing your old hardware is still relevant and doesn't make a difference, but there's plenty of Adobe benchmarks out there proving you wrong :)
>>
File: pic_disp.jpg (600 KB, 3107x949)
600 KB
600 KB JPG
>>3929941
like this one that shows a minimal 10% gain with any recent gpu over an integrated chip?
photoshop doesn't give a fuck how expensive or shiny new your gpu is and your buyers remorse doesn't change any of that
>>
>>3929943
>uses gpu scores for photoshop

oh nononono
>>
>>3929945
see
>>3929941
>>
>>3929941
>Moore's law of doubling computing power

Please stop emabarrasing yourself. Moores law is not about computer power but about complexity of the die. And more complex die does not necessarily mean more power.

> I have a 3080 ti, it's a fantastic bit of kit.

It really is not all roses. Its terribly overpriced, nvidia drivers are just as bas as they were 10 years ago and its incredibly power hungry. "Horses for courses" ... unless you are gaming constantly, 3080 is a terrible choice.

> seems like you're coping by believing your old hardware is still relevant and doesn't make a difference

You really are a massive faggot. Get it through that thick skull of yourse, some people just like to use their computers instead of the constant rat race of being "on the top".
>>
>>3929946
>he just mentions his 3080 purchase
>he disclaims that pcs haven't improved in general before that
>>
>>3929926
Nothing wrong with long upgrade cycle.
Now being so stingy about a quality of life thing isn't admirable.
>>
>>3929943
>Why does a gpu matter on things that are CPU bottlenecked?

Lol, you are dumb.
I also have a 5800x, which is no slouch, and 48gb of ram, which I partition off 16gb as a ramdisk for importing photos. It's all very snappy, I bet you're on a sata interface early gen SSD at best.

Also, people use their pc for more than just photoshop\lightroom. Solidwork sims will suck up every spare resource you have.

>>3929949
>Wahhh it's too expensive to buy and costs too much on power usage.

We're back to the crux of the issue for you, you're poor. And older hardware is much less power efficient, so you're also wrong.

And no, clicking "buy" and taking 10 minutes to install new hardware isn't a "rat race", it's a very quick and easy method for me to save time and money. Doing upgrades allows me to use my pc much more than the 10 minutes a hardware swap takes.

Honestly though, I would have rathered a 6800xt or 6900xt, but stock was non existent.

Is your time not more important to you than a couple days wages? That's a sad outlook on life. What's even sadder is that you claim you don't buy into this rat race, yet here you are with all the opinions about the 3080 ti... If you didn't care, why do you know enough to form such a strong opinion?

>Moore's law is only about transistor count
Oh babe, what a pointless metric that would be without the implications, here's what investopedia says "Moore's Law states that we can expect the speed and capability of our computers to increase every couple of years, and we will pay less for them." Let's look at the evidence...

The fastest supercomputer in the world in 2000 managed 12 teraflops of peak processing power, it weighed over 100 tons, used 6 megawatts of power and cost $165m adjusted for inflation. The GPU in my desktop pc has a peak output of 35 teraflops, weighs a couple kg, uses 300w of power and cost a grand...

Feels good to have a supercomputer on your desk, you should get a job and try it some day.
>>
>>3929957
Not only are you a faggot, but you are also an idiot.

> partition off 16gb as a ramdisk for importing photos

So you are left with 32GB of usable RAM. If you can fit a batch of what you are processing into 16GB, there is nothing else to be said. Get a proper nvme SSD and stop larping with a ramdisk.

Also - 32GB of RAM is just not enough. It shows that you have never done any panorama stitches for example.

Also also - you load your pics into that ramdisk only for those pics then be chewed through by your CPU only to be spit out onto that 32GB part ... you really are an idiot.

>clicking "buy" and taking 10 minutes to install new hardware

That shit does not take 10 minutes. You need to choose what to buy first, then you physically install it (and that can take 10 minutes) and then you need to make it work. That shit takes more than 10 minutes. Or, more likely, you are just talking out of your ass.

And if you buy whole computer, then you need to install a lot of software to make it work. And then you need to migrate your data. That takes longer then 10 minutes.

>Is your time not more important to you than a couple days wages? That's a sad outlook on life. What's even sadder is that you claim you don't buy into this rat race, yet here you are with all the opinions about the 3080 ti... If you didn't care, why do you know enough to form such a strong opinion?

My time IS more important than money. What has that to do with spending money? You need to realize that time spent rendering a batch of files is not coming from MY time budget. Thik about what actually takes a lot of machine time while editing photos. It really is not the actual editing.

And yes, I do have opinions on computers. It is my job. Is that such a weird concept?

>Feels good to have a supercomputer on your desk

By your metric I have a supercomputer in my pocket. I am using said supercomputer to watch youtube while sitting on a toilet. What is your point?
>>
Oh look it's another shitty thread.
>>
>>3929962
>Get an nvme
I have 2TB of pcie 4.0 nvme storage, ramdisk is much faster bud.
>You don't do panorama stitches
Why would I when I have a 12-24???
>Ramdisk still needs to load up into ram
Which is much faster than nvme to ram

>It takes me longer than 10 minutes to install a gpu\cpu\hard drive

That sounds like a you problem, it definitely doesn't take me more than 10 minutes.

>What if you build a whole new computer
So you think every 3-4 years spending half a day on a platform upgrade isn't worth exponentially better performance???

>Processing takes more time than actual editing
Sounds like you need a new rig, because that's definitely not the case for me.

>My job is computers
Sitting on 4chan in your mom's basement isn't a job babe.

>My phone is a supercomputer
Let's say you had the most powerful phone chip, the Snapdragon 888, that's only 1.7tf, or about 5% of a 3080 ti. Lmao. But you being as poor as you are, I'm gonna take a guess that you've got something much, much worse.

Your whole reply reads like you're just very jealous of me.
>>
>>3929971
No one is jealous of debilitating autism.
>>
>>3929972
>Having more money than me is autism >:(
Lmao
>>
>>3929912
I know you're from /g/ because I was insulting you in your own thread, but I didn't think you'd actually come here and shit this board up also. It's utterly shocking to see some fa/g/got endorsing a Google product. Like I'm actually blown away, and it really kills your argument. Good job.
>>
>>3929976
>Anyone that disagrees with me is the same person

I've literally never been on /g/, y'all ever get concerned about the number of people living rent free in your brain?
>>
>>3929887

After using capture one pro for 3 years I am well under 10€ per month and it keeps getting cheaper.
>>
>>3929981
>literally
>y'all
>rent free

Pull the other one fuckwit
>>
>>3929976
>I didn't think you'd actually come here and shit this board up also.
He spends most of his life shitting up boards, including this one.
>>
>>3929926

Not unless you build one, a 600 dollar second-hand laptop will always BTFO a 600 dollar new one, and you can upgrade them.

t. former laptop repair tech
t. 900-dollar ASUS TUF FX505DV gaming laptop

My last machine was a 2nd-gen i7 quad Dell E6520 I bought all of the upgraded parts for and still have to play older games and as a backup for this one on the road. I built that from a 75 dollar base model E6520 probably in 2016 or 2017 and only upgraded because I wanted to play Warframe.
>>
>>3929912
i dont think the star of the show here is 10GB cloud storage lmao, ive got terabytes of ssd/hdd storage, its more just using the software
>>
>>3929918
and with the old pricing model you wouldve payed that 600 all up front, and in five years there wouldve been a new CS to pay for again
>>
>>3929912
>google drive
>>
File: bb2.png (21 KB, 645x770)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>3929984
>he used WORDS
>>
>>3929971
>I have 2TB of pcie 4.0 nvme storage, ramdisk is much faster bud.
Cute. Let me know how that works out for you when the power cuts out and your "2TB pcie 4.0 nvme" corrupts.

>Why would I when I have a 12-24???
We found the nophoto.

>Ramdisk still needs to load up into ram
>Which is much faster than nvme to ram
It really is not. CPU is the bottleneck here.

>That sounds like a you problem, it definitely doesn't take me more than 10 minutes.
We found the autist that has never actually done this.

>So you think every 3-4 years spending half a day on a platform upgrade isn't worth exponentially better performance???
You are missing the point so hard its not even funny.

>Sounds like you need a new rig, because that's definitely not the case for me.
We found the guy that exports 2Mpx snapshits for insta.

>Sitting on 4chan in your mom's basement isn't a job babe.
Projecting much?

>Let's say you had the most powerful phone chip, the Snapdragon 888, that's only 1.7tf, or about 5% of a 3080 ti. Lmao. But you being as poor as you are, I'm gonna take a guess that you've got something much, much worse.
Define a supercomputer for me?
Also - 1.7TFLOPS is the snapdragon 888 GPU. The Cray-2 supercomputer had 1.9GFLOPS. ANY smartphone APU will be more powrfull than 1.9GFLOPS. Again - stop projecting so hard.

>Your whole reply reads like you're just very jealous of me.
Jealous of what? Your mental deficiencies? Or your debilitating autism? Or maybe your aspergers? Or perhaps your general idiocy? There is nothing to be jealous of about you ...
>>
File: 1618353250353.jpg (13 KB, 360x349)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>3929887
because with piracy it can be 0 a month
>>
>>3930083
You're very upset that someone on the internet has a nicer pc than you.
>>
>>3930095
Keep huffing that copium.
>>
>>3930083
>You shouldn't use ramdisk you should have nvme
>You shouldn't use nvme it might corrupt
>Nvme is just as fast as ramdisk

Lmfao.

Write\read speeds are about 8k, about double that of a top tier nvme SSD.

I have 4tb of regular hard drives in mirrored raid for backup.

Stay jelly ;)

>People that use 12-24 lenses are nofotos

Great logic

>No you can't install new hardware in 10 minutes

Pray I ask what you think takes more than 10 minutes? It's 2 thumb screws on the case and 2 normal screws for the GPU, if that takes you more than 5 minutes you must be a retard.

>No, that's not the point, the point is, uhhh, that, errr, I'm poor and jealous >:(

Lol

>No exporting photos must take a long time, trust me,my 6 year old low tier rig using traditional hard drives is slow >:(

Lol

>No u >:(

Lol

>That phone CPU is faster than a supercomputer from the mid 80's

How relevant, totally comparable to a gpu that can do live ray-tracing and machine learning.

>Jealous of what

Maybe my pc that you're losing your mind over, crazy how you listed 4 different things and none of them are what you've been whining about all day.

>>3930100
Oh, so you're not trying to justify having a poverty rig despite PC's apparently being your job. Lmao.
>>
>>3930138
Keep seething harder please.

I have never once wrote anything about my personal rig. Also - should I have only one? Horses for courses idiot. Cope harder.

>I have 4tb of regular hard drives in mirrored raid for backup.
And should that be an achievement? 4TB is rather ... modest amount of storage. Especially when using RAW. Unless you have some ... lets just say ... poorfaggoty camera.

>Pray I ask what you think takes more than 10 minutes? It's 2 thumb screws on the case and 2 normal screws for the GPU, if that takes you more than 5 minutes you must be a retard.
Cool story bro. It seems that you are forgetting that there is such a thing as drivers. And you keep conveniently forgetting that you should test your hardware. You know ... so it does not shit its pants when you actually need it.

>Oh, so you're not trying to justify having a poverty rig despite PC's apparently being your job. Lmao.
You do realize that people tend to not do their job in their free time, right? Or maybe living in your moms basement is rotting your brain.

Stop larping on the internet, get a job, get a grip, stop projecting so hard and fuck off.
>>
>>3930061
Thanks for signing it
>>
>>3930162
>get a job
oh, the irony
>>
>>3930162
>Keep seething
You're seething bro, you've been upset at him for using ramdisks, nvme drives and hard drives now. What does that leave, should he be running his system off a usb stick? You're just mad someone has a nice pc and you've got a 6 year old piece of crap.
>>
>>3930166
I could not care less if you are using RAM disk. What I do take offense about, is that RAM disk being 16GB and then being called poor for pointing out that 16GB is really not enough for anything meaningfull.

Then I get called poor by someone that has 4TB of RAID storage. That is fucking pathetic.

And then you project onto me having 6 year old PC ... that is weirdly specific number. I wonder who actually has that 6 year old PC.

So yeah ... keep seething, keep huffing that copium, stop projecting and fuck off.

>>3930165
What irony? Are you perhaps projecting?
>>
This thread is fucking gay.
>>
File: fuckwits_copingsaw.jpg (80 KB, 878x549)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>3930167
>>
>>3930169
What am I supposed to DIY?
>>
>>3930167
>Why a 16gb ramdisk
Because I use 16gb SD cards as it keeps organising shoots easier, did you think it was arbitrary? You're a fucking retard.

>Who said I have a 6 year old pc
You when you tried to justify your pc here >>3929934 honestly if it was only $600 it probably has 9 year old parts, yikes.

>4tb isn't enough
It's plenty until I run out of space, then I get new drives and archive the old ones. You seem to forget that I can afford to maintain my pc, omegalul

>Your pc is old
Ah, because 3080 ti are super old, right?

Go on, prove me wrong and give everyone a laugh, timestamp your battlestation.

>Please fuck off you're making me feel insecure and making me look stupid and poor

Lol.
>>
>>3930174
I really do enjoy this back and forth. But lts set some things straight:

>Because I use 16gb SD cards
I wonder who is the poor one here ... 16GB cards ... ouch

>You when you tried to justify your pc here >>3929934 honestly if it was only $600 it probably has 9 year old parts, yikes.
Not me. I tend to go with intel because servers ...

>It's plenty until I run out of space
No amount of space is plenty of space.

> I get new drives and archive the old ones
I shudder at the though of doing that ... annoying procedures are annoying ... thanks but no thanks.

>omegalul
So much cringe in one word

>Ah, because 3080 ti are super old, right?
Which part of larping is unclear?

>timestamp your battlestation
Calling your pc "battlestation" ... oh the cringe


>Please fuck off you're making me feel insecure and making me look stupid and poor
You are perfectly capable of doing that yourself to yourserlf. I am just pointing out the obvious.

>Lol.
Ok boomer.
>>
>>3930179
>Sliding hard drives out of hot swap bays is too difficult for me and I cannot let myself believe you have a 3080 ti

>That person talking shit about amd can't be me because I use intel

>No, I will not timestamp my pc, you just have to believe that I have a really good one
>>
>>3930181
>Sliding hard drives out of hot swap bays is too difficult for me
You do realize that migrating RAID arrays is a bit more complex than just sliding some drives around ... right?

>That person talking shit about amd can't be me because I use intel
That person is not me ... but you believe in whatever you want.

>No, I will not timestamp my pc, you just have to believe that I have a really good one
U first? I might just as well be sitting behind a potato, mobile phone, raspberry pi, smart fridge or whatever. Why does it matter what I use? Or maybe it will feed your illusion of grandeur when you find out I dont have 3080? Or maybe I have just a thin client with pretty much unlimited power in the cloud? It just does not matter you muppet.
>>
>>3930169
i thought i was shitposting but damn i didnt think it would devolve into this
>>
>>3930185
fuck i meant >>3930168
>>
>>3930186
What did you expect? This is 4chan after all.
>>
File: 1629594262052.jpg (10 KB, 308x164)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>3929887
>shilling joodobe
your nose is showing
>>
>>3929887
I'm not wasting 120 dollars per month for bullshit i only use to edit memes.
>>
>>3929916
This is the most fucking stupid excuse anyone has given so far.

"free as in freedom" usually means "unproductive shit that works only for those who memorize the retarded manual" Also, free shit always fucking break and the way it handles is usually a retarded menu labyrinth.

Besides, freetards are cucks who will demand you to bend over their stupid laws while making money from paid software on the side. If you want to end software as a service, dont use ye service then. Pirate their shit and be done with it. A freetard will tell you "boohoo, piracy is wrong" because he's in the same boat as servicekikes.
>>
>>3930183
>Why does it matter what I use?
Maybe it will help to convince people that you do know what you are talking about after all.
>>
>>3930200
>120 dollars per month
>>
>>3929912
You don't seriously believe that USB is genuine 1Tb do you?
>>
>>3930183
Why after saying every high end part in anons pc is "wrong" are you saying "it doesn't matter what I use". You just sound poor and mad.
But let's turn this on its head first, if ramdisks, nvme SSD and raid arrays are all wrong, what storage SHOULD anon be using?
>>
>>3930183
>cries real tears while sperging out on someone else's build
>Why does it matter what I use?
this shit is too funny
>>
>>3929887
120$ for a software that you don't own? That installs spyware on your computer?

I bet that you own apple as well, lol!
>>
>>3929887
i use it once every other month lol
>>
>>3929898
THIS POST, BEST POST.
>>
>>3930201
you're glowing anon
>>
>>3930183
Jesus christ anon, go outside and touch some grass, you need to get used to the fact that other people are going to have better, nicer and more expensive things than you, always. you're only hurting yourself with these outbursts, being poor is a lot less worse fate than being mad about being poor.
>>
>>3930201
t. pajeetoid adobe customer support
>>
>>3929983
this was me until I bought a new camera. now I can't use it with capture one without buying the new full version. feels bad man.
>>
>>3930430
Doesn't it cost less to upgrade to a newer version?
>>
File: 1616433828961.jpg (113 KB, 809x725)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>3929887
Yes. I pirate everything, how could you tell?
>>
>>3930460
yeah but it's still a good bit of cash to upgrade.
>>
File: 2021-08-22_17-55-24.jpg (32 KB, 967x240)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>3929887
I like to own things and not be at the mercy of adobe's subscription model.
>>
>>3930479
Just keep an eye out for their coupons. Sometimes they do 50% off.
>>
>>3930487
yeah, later in the cycle they start to offer discounts. I got a 30% off subscription upgrades in my email the other day. but I don't want a subscription, their subscription is expensive compared to lightroom, even if the software is better.
>>
>>3930373
>don't mind me, I'm only projecting
>>
>>3930523
> >:(
lol, we're all still waiting on that super powerful rig of yours
>>
>>3929898
This shit right here. darktable serves me well
>>
>>3929887
>20GB
Kek… the smallest memory card you can run these days is 32GB… you do actually take photos right anon?
>>
>>3930533
>that super powerful rig of yours
It's a cheap phone with free McDonalds wifi
>>
>>3929906
hahaha fucking retard wake up
>>
>>3929962
>you really are an idiot.
How rude
>>
>>3929887
i edit all my pictures on a old pc with a 2gb vram graphicscard and is fast enough for me
why are all these anons arguing on here
i think i could even do it on a 4gb ram laptop if i absolutely had to
it's for photography after all, not a heavy fx movie render machine
>>
>>3929887
>you do actually take photos right anon?
Of course not, his whole life revolves around starting senseless arguments on /p/ and /diy/
>>
>>3929962
>32gb ram isn't enough to do a panorama

Oh, how much ram do you need to do your panoramas? do you have an example?
>>
>>3930201
I get this is 4chan and all, but holy shit
>>
>>3930562
>buying a Lr/Ps subscription for the 20GB of included cloud storage
>using cloud storage
like someone saying you spent 30k for just heated seats when you bought a car
>>
>>3929887
don't care, they get enough money from enterprises and colleges, i'd rather keep my 10
>>
>>3930656
There's only 1 anon starting arguments, the guy that's very upset that other people have nicer things than him.

Imagine living your life thinking anyone talking about the things they own is a personal attack against, that's a level of insecurity I'll never know. Seems to be an issue with a lot of the larping Fuji owners on here.
>>
>>3931157
>There's only 1 anon starting arguments

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width549
Image Height558
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3931166
it was a schizo thread the whole time kek
>>
>>3929887
Because I'm not getting cucked by renting stuff that I wouldn't have had to rent ten years ago.
Also because I don't have Internet at home, and I think you can't activate this or use it very long without an Internet connection.
>>
>>3930656
is VRAM really an issue as far as Lightroom is concerned? I'm doing fine with my Radeon 4850.
>>
>>3931640
times are-a changin, software as a service for the rest of your life now
>>
>>3931649
Wrong. I just won't use that software then. And if it means that I have to stop using computers altogether.
>>
>>3931653
wish you'd stop using computers right now
>>
>>3931649
I think it'll be less than 10 years before computing as a service will be the popular choice for most, we'll just have thin clients connected to the internet unless you're a proper geek.

And the thought of that makes me sad.
>>
How has poor people not wanting to pay 9.99 a month trascended into this shit flinging party
>>
>>3931680
Because some poor people get super fucking mad when they hear anyone else has anything they can't afford but deeply desire.

Whenever you hear someone say "you don't need something as good as X", what they're actually saying is "on my income I could never justify the price difference between what I have and what you have".
>>
>>3931683
>Whenever you hear someone say "you don't need something as good as X", what they're actually saying is "on my income I could never justify the price difference between what I have and what you have".
this is so true lol
>>
>>3931683
>>3932162
Sometimes, sure, but I think it's a little more nuanced than this. For multiple reasons, people don't see the value proposition in expensive camera equipment. Having known people who say "you don't need X for your photography" IRL, they're not always just coping poor people, and I even made fun of them for spending thousands on a PC, or $100k on a car. The thing is that a lot of people don't "get" photography, they don't really see the difference, and also aren't secure in their ability to take "good" photos so they're hesitant to really invest in it. If you buy an expensive car that goes fast, it's "worth it" because you turn on the car, it makes cool engine sounds and makes you look and feel cool. When you spend $6k on a PC, it's "worth it" because it boots up in .5 seconds, apps open instantly and your games all look very impressive. But when you spend say, $3k on a camera body, unless you already know how to use a camera because it probably doesn't have a full auto mode. But what I get a lot from the "you don't need X for photography" crowd is this: they're insecure about their own photographic ability, and don't see the value because of that. That's why you constantly hear them say things like "that camera is too good for me" or "I'd only own something like that if I made money". The REAL reason people are hesitant to spend so much on photography is they feel like it wouldn't be worth it for them, and they are guilty of projecting it onto the world. It doesn't stop *everyone* from buying nicer gear, but it sure seems to deter a lot from the prospect of it.
>>
>>3931658
You will eat the bugs.
You will live in the Pod.
You will own nothing and you will be happy.
>>
>>3929887
Because free.
>>
>>3929887
I'm not paying a sub for a fucking program.
>>
>>3931658
Eh, everything flip-flops regularly between thick clients and thin clients. We're in the thin-client phase right now, things will swing back to thick clients when compute demands outstrip network capability. I'd bet on network latency rather than bandwidth being the trigger for the next thick-client swing as everyone tries remote rendering for AR/VR and realises it's utterly shit.
We're already seeing remote render for gaming fall flat on its face over and over again regardless of how many billions corporations throw at the idea, because anyone who can afford the high-bandwidth connection required and who lives in the sort of affluent areas that have a latency-local server required for acceptable round-trip times can by default afford the local rendering version of whatever device is being remotely hosted, making the 'value' proposition of a streamed service minimal. It's not by coincidence that the only streaming services that have seen any real success (audio and video) are the ones that were streaming over analog tech before the internet was invented.
>>
>>3929912
>??? $19 gets you 50 times as much flash storage delivered tomorrow. It's not 2007 anymore.

Yeah, I hate having every photo I've taken this year on my phone, ipad, computer, and online and ready to share at a moments notice, with full editing capability that's AI-searchable. Who would want that?
>>
>>3933378
Some of us live in shitholes with slow internet (Germany)
Also, enjoy getting swatted once the AI mistakes one of your photos for cheese pizza
>>
File: file.png (44 KB, 870x572)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>3929887
Just get a pee cloud and you'll never have to worry about cloud storage ever again (TM).
>>
>>3929887
because $10/month = $120/year, dumbass
>>
File: 1625461992819.png (45 KB, 359x359)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
Affinity Photo is good as a photoshop alternative and it's like $25.

Capture One is better than Lightroom for most jackoffs and has reasonably priced brand-specific editions for certain cameras.

Subscription licenses are a fuckin' joke. They're just the new way to squeeze as much money as possible out of consumers.

"Oh, you ditched cable TV did you? Haha. Very clever. How about Netflix + Disney+ + HBO + Youtube Red + Amazon Prime Video? Nice. Yeah that's it. Squeeze my tiddies. Yeah. Nice"
>>
>>3929887
im broke man
>>
>>3933665
C1 is getting panorama and exposure stacking in next update. I'll be abandoning lr completely once it arrives.
>>
>>3933690
sounds cool. its still missing some really fucking basic shit though that i wish they would add. and nobody cares to write plugins for it, ever.
>>
>>3933690
BUT!!! no regrets its a really nice app its very modern and sleek. the skin tone features and the AI assisted mask shit had me sold
>>
>>3933705
>its still missing some really fucking basic shit though
such as?
>>
>>3929913
Use multiple 500gb or 1tb SSDs in RAID.
>>
>>3929913
>lol good luck loosing 1TB of your data
its fake
>>3929913
>woh, does adobe give you 20gb each month? like it compounds for as long as you're a member?
no, man
>>3933722
>Use multiple 500gb or 1tb SSDs in RAID.
no, mom
>>
>>3933705
Nobody writes them for adobe lately as well. They closed the pipelines on free plugins, so everything must be signed and approved by adobe, so devs just said fuck of to that and left. There's still money to be made doing vid plugins, so some of them drip to photoshop as an afterthought.
>>
>>3929887
If Adobe allowed you to pay once to have the product I would buy it, but a subscription service is scummy and I refuse to give them money.
>>
>>3929897
It's a good deal. Heck, $60/m for all their apps really ain't that bad either. The CS6 Master Collection (which contains like 1/5 of their current apps), retailed for $3500. Basically that's 8 years of use before you're loosing money. And you can pause/cancel your subscription at anytime. Besides, I've had my All apps subscription for almost 6 years and I've never paid $60/m. It's more like $35/m. Right now, I'm not paying anything. All you have to do is contact support once every 6-12 months.
>>
>>3935048
And 9 years on from release, cs6 master collection STILL goes for $3000 on eBay, because professionals still want it because it's just better than the newer version, regardless of subscription.
>>
>>3935085
>just better
CS6 is garbage. It doesn't support 4K scaling, it can't output sRGB correctly and it has none of the many time saving features present in CC.
>>
>>3934893
fucking.this.
as someone who recently upgraded my camera, i am pretty annoyed at the lack of pay-once editing software available. I don't want my dick pics on your "cloud".
>>
>>3929887
because fuck saas and fuck adobe that's why
>>
>>3929887
>freeware/pirate?
I don't. I use an alternative that lets me pay once and use it forever.
>>
>>3929887
It's not 10/month, it's 120/year. They're basically lying to you. If you try to cancel, they will make you pay the remainder. Also it auto renews, so if you want to cancel at any point you still have to pay the remainder, which can be anywhere between 0 and 120
>>
Gimp and darktable because I dislike adobe. The price isn't the issue for me, it's how they operate and treat their customers like shit.
>>
>>3929887
>use the same camera for 10 years
>totally satisfied with results, just need the ability to process raws
>computer also does not change
>"$10 per month sounds great!"
This is an intelligence test and you failed.

It used to be that you'd pay $250 or some flat fee and then you owned the software forever. $10 per month is going to be manageable for most people, and a professional wouldn't even think twice about the business expense, especially if they are buying new camera bodies and need the updates for processing new raw formats, but over a 10 year period, you'll pay a $1200 "stupid tax" for the same program that used to cost a flat fee, even if you don't need all the updates.
>>
>>3935567
When was CS suite $250?
>>
in five months you would have paid $50, the price of affinity photo and you wouldn't have to pay for it again
>>
>>3935567
It's even funnier when Adobe goes in bed with Applel and locks update to new hardware! So your aplelpad 10 comp is running fine, then adobe brings it's next CuntCustomer update that only works on aplelpad 11, and you can't even use the software that you pay for on your aplelpad 10!
>>
>>3929887
-fuck adobe
-pirate versions run faster because no DRM
-fuck adobe
>>
>>3935430
thats just for the first year im pretty sure
>>
In the end, cloud storage costs the same amount of money on the backend, but you have to pay for the entire stack, too.
It's just someone else's computer. You are renting it.
>>
File: 1629710460091.png (22 KB, 112x112)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>3936285
He uses Cloud and pays for Adobe payware.
>>
>>3929887
Think about the average income of /p/
>>
>>3935567
Photoshop has always been $500+ as I recall, or at least it was back when I saw it in stores.
>>
>>3936322
Photoshop CS4, 5 and 6 were $700 ($1000 for the extended version).
If you had the previous version you could upgrade for $200.
>>
>>3936351
So you'd pay $700 and then if CS5 came out you'd pay another $200 for CS6? Seems like the subscription model is pretty decent since that $900 will take roughly 8 years, which will include multiple versions in that period.
>>
>>3936351
>>3936597
What are you trying to say?

You'd have to be stupid to pay for adobe software then, and you're stupid for paying for adobe software today.
>>
>>3936607
The point is that it makes more sense now than it did 8 years ago. Instead of paying $900 for just two versions, you're paying the same to have multiple versions over almost a decade. And on top of that, if you just used it for a year ans cancelled, you'd still only be down about $120.

CaptureOne is also more expensive for about the same shit, so that's even worse, and GIMP is pure shit. There's no truly good choice in such a shit market.
>>
>$120 a year
I mean, sure if you're making the big bucks with your shots then it's a small price to pay but I'd rather just pirate and use that money towards a raspi+external HDD cloud storage solution that doesn't charge me every month and let's me have 100x the storage, or even more if I spend a little more cash
>>
>>3939188
>$120 a year
>"making the big bucks"
I really can't tell if this is a joke or not. I'm not sure why photographers are so obsessed with "returns on investment", I can't think of another hobby where there's so much emphasis on "making money to pay back the cost" the way there is in photography.
>>
>>3939193
Digital art, animation and even web design suffer from this because most of the top tier software has switched to a subscription model. But because all these costs are software-based, one can bypass them completely through piracy
>>
>>3939683
>subscription model
I fucking hate this. I was happily paying for Sketch, then they started taking 99USD per year. Switched to Figma, it is superior anyway. No problem to pay full price for Photoshop or Lightroom ONCE like I did in the past, but i'm not paying monthly subscriptions, it's not Spotify.
>>
>>3933705
>its still missing some really fucking basic shit though that i wish they would add
are you sure they are aren’t missing them because Adobe patented those features?
>>
>>3939683
How exactly do they suffer? The people who use them for work on serious projects they're getting paid to make aren't suffering from $10 and infinite free updates. The people invested enough in it as a hobby will shrug it off as a use-cost. And the people who don't want to do that can switch to something else. Honestly, it's been almost ten years since Adobe went to the creative cloud and it's amazing that people continue to bitch about how their software is shitty and overpriced but then feel entitled to use it so they pirate it out of "spite". Face it, if they hadn't gone that route you'd be here complaining and using some other shit reason to justify piracy. We have this thread going on p once a week. Just go pirate it and quit crying already.
>>
>>3939708
what do get for licking their boots so much?
>>
>>3939712
>No argument.jpg
Just be a good little edgy contrarian and pirate everything since nothing has value and everyone owes you something for nothing, and fuck off.
>>
>>3939695
shitty companies like adobe who willingly stifle innovation and inhibit the progress of our species by leveraging shitty laws created by lobbying groups funded by shitty companies like adobe are some of the reasons that life under libertarianism would just be assfuck authoritarianism
>>
>>3939723
>capitalism breeds innovation
>but capitalism is stifled when you're not allowed to shamelessly copy the competition, also
Curious.
>>
>>3939725
you don't shamelessly copy if you want to be competitive. you adopt an idea or design and then improve/iterate on it. you know, like with everything, for example.
>>
>>3939727
But how patents work is you prevent copying the exact method/design used to implement a specific idea. Adobe for example cannot copyright the Content-Aware Fill tool, in the sense that they can't ban anyone from developing a software tool that does what it does. What they can do, is ban someone from simply opening Photoshop code and copy-pasting the programming for clone stamp into their own software. So I sort of doubt Adobe is actually banning anyone from implementing anything, they just don't allow those companies to just take parts of their own programs and bolt them on to their own. They can implement said tools, but they have to figure out how to do it themselves.
>>
>>3939729
>What they can do, is ban someone from simply opening Photoshop code and copy-pasting the programming for clone stamp into their own software
their code is proprietary, and hidden from the public, so i don't understand how they would patent it. but i also don't know what >>3939695 is referring to
>>
>>3939725
It almost makes you wonder why Einstein said
"[Capitalism] as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of evils. I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals. In such an economy, the means of production are owned by society itself and are utilized in a planned fashion."
>>
>>3939708
>how exactly do they suffer
The Lightroom+Photoshop bundle is only $120 a year. If you want any of the other programs seperately they're $240 each, but if you want three or more you can instead get the entire pack for $840

Toon Boom is $1000+ a year
Maya is $2000+ a year
A majority of website software charge subscription prices that quickly add up

You're absolutely right that any professional will shrug it off as the cost of doing business, but I will always scorn Adobe for popularizing subscription-based creative software. If I find a program I like and I find that I use it often, I'm more than happy to pay a one-time fee for it, but it will be a cold day in hell before I pay a subscription fee on software.
>>
>>3939813
>Using Maya when blender is free, and better

>Toon boom have a $15 a year subscription for non commercial use
>>
>>3939815
Blender IS free and better, but you should tell that to the majority of studios that still prefer Maya

Also, Harmony for $15 a year? Where? Still the whole "non-commercial use" thing is a bit of a non-starter
>>
>>3939715
I don't pirate anything, I'm satisfied with the alternatives available. I just don't understand what you get out of defending soulless companies doing obviously scummy money grubbing tactics

>nothing has value
no, that's the problem. I do value what I spend my money on, but apparently you're content to be a slave. I don't want to spend money on a service that I don't want or need. I want to spend money on a product that I own and have control over. and I don't want to be punished for canceling my subscription with extra fees.
>>
>>3940185
>Defending soulless corporations with money grubbing tactics
$10 a month is not "money grubbing", it may not be the best option for everyone but it is for many who couldn't previously afford several hundred out of pocket

>I want to own the product
That's the neat thing, you don't. You don't have the legal right to redistribute or even modify a lot of software. When you buy a "license key" you're paying for the right to use it, whether it's up front or month by month.
>>
File: ack.jpg (45 KB, 700x700)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>3940280
>YOU ACKSCUALLY DON'T HAVE THOSE RIGHTS
semantics.
>>
>>3940280
>$10 a month is not "money grubbing", it may not be the best option for everyone but it is for many who couldn't previously afford several hundred out of pocket
Yeah, but it is... Have you seen the work they've put into LR and PS is in the last years? The programs are still virtually identical, with bugs, missing features and shit performance. PS is a good tool, but the people that developed it are long gone. New devs can't even touch the old code, they're simply patching in new features as plugins. Proper HDR is around the corner, and we're still stuck with no tools that work in 32bit. Instead we get faux ai that does nothing, and shitty ai upscalers that get beaten by paintshop pro.
>>
does the web version of lightroom have the same capabilities as the desktop version of the new lightroom? the interface looks the same in the screenshots.
i know the new lightroom is worse than lightroom cc in almost every way
>>
>>3939708
This.

People forget how much Photoshop was pirated prior to going to a subscription model. The amount of fucktards on here that are 'I would pay $1000 outright for this software but I'm not paying $10 per month out of principle' are unbelievable.
>>
>>3940448
>Tons of people pirated thus nobody pays for it
>Therefore i have to charge more
Very jewish mindset
>>
>>3940448
>The amount of fucktards on here that are 'I would pay $1000 outright for this software but I'm not paying $10 per month out of principle' are unbelievable.
I have a clip studio EX license, a toon boom harmony permanent license, a zbrush permanent license and licenses for other smaller creative software, all paid for by me with my own disposable income. These are programs I use often so I buy their product in order to support the devs. But subscriptions make me feel like every day I spend without making use of it is money burned. I don't want that stress in my life, so I don't buy subscription-based software. But if Adobe offered a permanent license for Lightroom or Premiere or Photoshop, I would gladly purchase it.
>>
>>3940314
If the cost of a permanent license on it's own is less than two years worth of it's "subscription" price then yes it is absolutely money grubbing.

People talk like "$10 is such a steal!!!" when Lightroom keys sold for $180 before it went cloud. For less than two years worth of CC Photography you used to be able to buy a permanent license and be done with it. Anyone who's into photography and can afford even the cheapest DSLR could easily set aside some cash and afford $200 for a piece of software that they'll very likely be using for a decade or even more.

But the real truth is that Adobe didn't introduce Creative Cloud in order to wring money out of indivuduals. They did it to wring money out of companies.
>>
>>3940727
whoops meant to quote >>3940280
>>
>>3940727
>They did it to wring money out of companies.
It is cheaper for companies, but it's a lot easier to regulate. CuntCuctomer is just a step towards programs as a service bullshit. The plan is for constant online with shit ton of spyware running on user's end, so they can keep track of everyone. Their business model is in practically gifting programs to education, becoming industry standard, only then tightening the cash flow on. They're not going after the smart, unless they can be useful shills as ambassadors, they're going for the dumb enough to be caught in the convoluted loops inside their programs. They support xmp, but they're hidden inside the menus and won't update them from other programs. They won't give you masks and clone stamp in lr, because they want you to be tied to ps as well. They won't give you advanced font formatting options in ps, because they want you to be tied to indesign. They're even taking away brushes from ps, because they're trying to push illustrator instead. And finally, they want you to store your data on their servers, so they have the sheep tied to them forever. It's one of the scummiest companies on the market. And frankly, their software isn't all that vital any more.
>>
>>3940727
>They did it to wring money out of companies.
that would be fine if they had SaaS for companies, and a fixed price for or something for individuals. it makes a lot of sense for companies who use it daily and need the latest updates, it makes no sense to carry that price on to someone who uses it occasionally as a hobby or for learning
>>
Yeah man, just use FOSS software, rawtherapee for example is totally a replacement for lightroom, after all, you don't want to import/organise your files, or stitch together panoramas, or have a non-retarded workflow. And I'm sure if you spend hours reading through their horribly written documentation you'll understand why there are two different types of noise reduction and what they actually do.
>>
>>3940727
How much did Photoshop cost?
>>
>>3940997
I'm not the guy to whom you responded, but Photoshop USED to cost about $600. I managed to snag an academic discount version of CS when I was in college, and even back then it was $150. Upgrades were something like $150. You were allowed to upgrade every other version, so if you bought CS you could still get the upgrade price if you waited until CS3.
>>
>>3941001
So realistically you're talking about $780 for both. Which is equivalent to over seven years of subscription. To get your copies of Photoshop and lightroom to an equivalent state as the subscription version after those 7 years would cost you another $330. Equivalent to nearly 3 years of subscription.

Sounds like a good deal desu
>>
i hope the power goes out forever one day to end this nonsense.
god kills a kitten every time you monetize.
>>
File: uq7uqazli4t61.png (2.87 MB, 1417x1417)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB PNG
Threadly reminder
>>
The only reason i pay for lightroom is because I use it on an ipad too (and phone sometimes). If i just used it on my computer id use something else but I liked having a standard tool across devices. It's nice to not have to worry about backing up too but i really feel like I should move to something thats not subscription but it's hard to find something I like the same as lightroom
>>
>>3933718
not fat but if C1 had context aware delete/heal i would probably never need to edit in affinity or use any other tool. the spot healing tool in C1 is fuckin' stupid and only works for tiny specks of piss.
>>
>>3942136
a clone brush would be fine. a fucking clone brush. and a negative inversion toolset, like the $43920493872 archival edition has.
>>
>>3942137
it has a clone brush feature...
negative inversion is lacking, but lightroom doesn't have that either
>>
>>3942231

Clone brush and healing brush are very powerful in C1. Layers, opacity and flow control. And it works on raw file, giving user full 16 bit raw workflow. You don't get that in photoshop, and must fuck around with smart objects and jumping into slow camera raw filter.
>>
>>3940996
works fine for me, and I don't have to deal with any of adobe's bullshit.
>>
>>3929887
Because intellectual property is a spook.
>>
>>3942231
>it has a clone brush feature...
no it doesn't fruitcake
>>
>>3942397
>>3942231
oh wait it does. HOLY FUCK





Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.