[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 20 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

https://youtu.be/VvhwU5DhMXY

This guy is selling overpriced rebranded foma to hipsters successfully, how can a random asshole get into this racket? Would sending an email to Foma asking for a similar arrangement work out?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution144 dpi
Vertical Resolution144 dpi
Image Width487
Image Height533
>>
wait until you hear about white label goods on amazon.

in general most crap sold is just marketing. it is more work to make your own “brand” that people want than you think. do you have an audience willing to buy from you?
>>
>>3919728
>Would sending an email to Foma asking for a similar arrangement work out?
Yes. But expect there to be a reasonable minimum order and having to pay for it all up front.
>>
>>3919728
If you are a random guy nobody will buy that shit from you
>>
>>3919728
i'll bet he farts in the canisters too
>>
>>3919728
this is what kosmo foto did too, and they have a whole brand and people pay for it. it's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>3919802
Why is it ridiculous? Selling shit is not hard. Most people aren't 4chan incels who will research for months for the cheapest Chinese crap they can find online just to save a couple of bucks. Most people see something they like and buy it
>>
>>3919802
>generic Chinese manufacturer selling to multiple brand retailers
you realise this is literally every product you buy? At least if you pay more for reputable brand you should be getting some sort of QC and decent warranty as opposed to the unbranded half price version
>>
>>3919817
>>3919947
you can buy a roll of Foma for literally half the price of the rebranded shit on the same site. that's the difference. if you can point to somewhere else where the EXACT SAME THING is sold directly alongside the differently branded product, which is selling for 2x the cost, then you'll have a point, but I don't know of anywhere where that's true. things that are whitelabeled from China usually aren't available direct to consumers easily; the whitelabelers are buying in bulk, handling the import, adding packaging which didn't exist, etc., as opposed to literally making a bulk order of Foma which is already sold on the same exact sites, packaged fully and ready to go, and then repackaging it and pretending it's something different and it's worth twice as much. at least when JCH came out with his film, he found new old stock that wasn't being sold in 35mm rolls.
>>
>>3919962
Anon please try to understand this: most people won't be doing any research about it. They don't care. Most people can afford to 'lose' 2 bucks per film roll or whatever the difference is.
People who do research for months or weeks to save a couple of bucks (4chancels) are an incredibly tiny minority and irrelevant to the market. I know this is hard to grasp when you basically only interact with 4chan people and think everyone is a penny pinching incel. There's a reason why streaming services are so big when you can pirate everything easily
>>
>>3919962
I think you're missing the added value this guy is throwing in >>3919792
>>
>>3919962
At least he publicly acknowledged its just a rebrand. Hes basically selling the eco friendly packaging at a markup. Hipsters would probably pay more even if they knew.
>>
>>3919802
Fuck off this is a great idea. I'll let you know when you can give me your money.
>>
>>3920047
Did I see him transfer film from the normal plastic canisters into his cardboard ones?
>>
it's extremely difficult to o manufacture film and without economy of scale it is just not profitable at all.
>>
>>3919975
you don't understand. I'm not saying "I don't understand why anybody buys it." I said it's ridiculous. because it is ridiculous. it's a complete fucking scam. but no, I am not surprised that people are stupid enough to buy it. for the record you don't need to be autistic and spend weeks or months researching film to figure out what it is. if you pop "what is kosmo foto mono" into a search engine, the very first result is the blog post "Kosmo Foto Mono: What I’ve learned in my first year building a film brand" which fully explains its origins and the fact that it's literally just Foma 100.
and it's not $2 per roll, it's $5 per roll. Foma 100 is $5 on B&H right now. kosmo foto mono is $10. that's not insignificant, so stop pretending it is.
>>
>>3920047
I will say I have absolutely no idea why anybody would know that a stock is just an existing stock rebranded and pay more money for it. I could understand if they were the same price or the newer one was cheaper. but if it's the same exact thing for more money, well, I guess you just have to be retarded to buy it. a fool and his money are soon parted.
>>
>>3919962
>if you can point to somewhere else where the EXACT SAME THING is sold directly alongside the differently branded product, which is selling for 2x the cost, then you'll have a point

Damn near any retailer? Food, beverages, bandages, paper stock, etc, etc. There are a finite number of manufacturers, and they all supply the same product to multiple brands. The idea that some brand will buy from OEM X and 'have higher standards' to differentiate them from the generic product died many decades ago: it is far cheaper to run a line 24/7 at one setting then to have to switch out for high/low quality runs, because the downtime from changeover and logistics of handling two separate SKUs (and two different sets of feedstocks, two different inspection station standards, etc) costs more than whatever pittance is saved from cheaper raw materials or skipping some process step. Labour and overhead costs dominate.
>>
>>3920185
you have provided no examples. your naming of broad categories of industry do not lead to any specific things that I can think of. there is a difference in quality between all of the brands of things that you named. maybe prescription drugs are the only example I can think of, where there's a generic and a brand name and the brand name costs more but is the same thing. but even in that case, at least the brand name that's more expensive came first and so has the original claim to innovation, whereas with the film, it's opposite; the original brand is the cheaper option and the gussied up option is the more expensive imitation. there really is nothing like it.
>>
>>3920179
>if you pop "what is kosmo foto mono" into a search engine, the very first result is the blog post "Kosmo Foto Mono: What I’ve learned in my first year building a film brand" which fully explains its origins and the fact that it's literally just Foma 100.
The difference is, as the other anon was saying, they don't care to do that.
They probably came across Kosmo Foto in an instagram ad or social media or whatever.
With 1 click it's yours. No need to research, no nothing.
The alternative is, looking up what it is. After you find what it is (assuming you can bypass easily all the misinformation and speculation from blogs and film forums), you google Foma.
Ah they don't sell to consumers, you have find a "reseller in your area" from their website. And then go to that website and order the thing.

So it's not that people don't want to research per se, they just don't care to go through all that for something small that costs $7 and can be impulse bought straight from the ad with one click.
Those people spend $5-7 on a starbucks coffee, and a ton of other dropshipped aliexpress junk, so it's not hard to guess why they'd just impulse buy rather than research to save $1 or $2.
>>
>>3920205
>you have provided no examples
Since you mention that, here goes about food items and ready made meals in British supermarkets:
>www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9022303/amp/Top-supermarkets-accused-food-higher-price-tactic.html
>https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2005/feb/23/food.foodanddrink
Literally just the label changed, if that.
And yes, British papers are cunt rugs, but you can verify those facts yourself too.
>>
>>3920215
>The difference is, as the other anon was saying, they don't care to do that.
that's fine and as I said, I'm not surprised that people are too stupid to do that. but what I was doing was countering his claim that you needed to be autistic and spend weeks or months researching film to know what it is. it takes a simple google search. that's my point.
>Ah they don't sell to consumers
do you mean they don't sell direct? because they definitely sell to consumers. it's in the store of any site that sells film. kodak doesn't sell direct via a kodak website either. does that mean portra 400 is hard to find?
>rather than research to save $1 or $2
why the fuck do you people keep claiming that it's a dollar or two difference? 5 to 10. double the price. $5 difference. I've pointed this out multiple times..........
>>3920222
I am not surprised that items from the same supplier and sold under different store brands **at different stores** are slightly different prices. that's standard. a true example would be if there was two cheeses, one from Kraft and one that was literally Kraft cheese but rebranded as some fancy bullshit brand, sold for twice as much, and in the same exact store, right next to the Kraft cheese. but you won't find that.
>>
>>3920205
How about bulk products like flour, sugar, salt, etc? Check the back of the pack and whaddaya know, both come from the same mill.
>>
>>3920226
they don't have the same exact origin though. different brands have different origins. and for it to be an example it would have to be identical and have one brand be significantly more expensive.
>>
>>3920224
>does that mean portra 400 is hard to find?
Anon, it depends what ads will reach them. That’s the whole point, they won’t search, but click on an ad.
If a Foma add reached then first, they’d get that. But Foma doesn’t advertise like that, at all.
Same for Portra or Fuji film vs whatever relabeled stuff Lomography sells. People would get whatever ad reached them first, and whatever has the prettier package and funky description.
And since it’s always a small purchase of a consumable, they won’t stress over it. If it was something more permanent or expensive (say an electronic device, or appliance), most would do some cursory research.
For a cheap consumable though that doesn’t cross the psychological limit of $10, they won’t. Just as they don’t do research about what pens they get, or what lightbulb or whatever else.

>but you won't find that.
I have a suspicion I would, if I looked for it.
>>
>>3920227
>they don't have the same exact origin though
LOL. Comes out of literally the same physical production line, just gets different packaging.
>>
>>3919962
My friend has a band. I buy their vinyls despite not even owning a turntable- sometimes you just want to support someone without directly giving them money. Yes, with my vinyls i’m not getting something rebranded, but i would buy them even if i did. Like other anons said, this is how market works.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1125
Image Height1027
>>
>>3920215
>Ah they don't sell to consumers
>fomaobchod.cz
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>3920371
Can’t you read? Those people dont care what is the actual stock, they care about the “brand”. They want a cool sounding name and a “image” of a product. Foma doesnt sell that. I know you’re just salty that you don’t have such brand, but chill dude. It’s their money.
>>
>>3920358
that's retarded. lol
>>
>>3919975
>People who do research for months or weeks to save a couple of bucks (4chancels) are an incredibly tiny minority and irrelevant to the market.
>being so retarded it takes weeks of research to find out what a film is
Takes like, 10min of googling anon.

>>3920358
Supporting a friend's creative endeavour ≠ supporting a person who literally buys something and slaps a different sticker on it.
>>
>>3920403
Just a heads up: anyone you think is your friend actually hates you and is just too polite to say it.
>>
nobody is making new films don't worry they're not real
>>
>>3920696
>Laughs in Acros 100 II
>>
nigger is removing comments with links to foma

https://fomaobchod.cz/cernobilenegativnifilmy/perfofilmy/fomapan400perfo/fomapan400135-36%5B11502%5D?ItemIdx=1

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.