[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 102 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

"Corona's a beer you twat" edition
All video related questions and discussion is intended for this thread. Here we discuss techniques, gear and anything else related to capturing video footage. Please don't pretend to be an expert if you don't know what you're talking about. Kindly leave your ego at the door.
Posting short films/scripts or other work you've done is encouraged.
We tend to use and recommend DSLRs/mirrorless cameras because they provide phenomenal picture quality for their price, have large sensors (ie the same size used in high-end cinema cameras and higher) and have interchangeable lenses.
In contrast, consumer camcorders normally have much smaller sensors and a fixed lens.

>STICKY - https://pastebin.com/35u6DcnF
>Helpful guide, additional books and more in-depth FAQs - https://web.archive.org/web/20200926115310/https://pastebin.com/kG0gRmTZ

>NO ONE CARES WHAT AN EXPERT YOU THINK YOU ARE. IF YOU’RE ASKING BASIC-AS-SHIT QUESTIONS, YOU CAN’T BE ALL THAT GREAT. SEE ABOVE

Previous thread >>3879650

Quick FAQS
>what’s the best camera available on a “budget”?
The blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k
>>what’s a good beginner video camera?
Anything that works, shoots at least 1080p and preferably has interchangeable lenses. Any recommendation beyond that will cause arguments so read the fucking sticky if that isn't satisfactory.
>Can I use a zoom lens for video?
Yes
>Do I need cine lenses?
No
>Do I need 4k?
No. It will make your footage look sharper if it’s in focus, and it gives you breathing room in post. But 1080p is still absolutely fine
>Can someone tell me if my video is any good?
Yes, but be prepared to receive harsh criticism. If you're going to waste 5 minutes of our time with a shitty out-of-focus montage of nothing then we'll tell you that it's crap
>>
Anyone got any film festival advice?
Specifically feature films, but advice in general is always appreciated
>>
File: 1624309333683.jpg (72 KB, 736x753)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>me patting myself on the back for investing in the basest video company in existence
>>
How do I get editing gigs that arn't upwork or fiverr? I literally do not comprehend how I establish clients. I live in a metropolitan area and work full time at an ad agency as a video guy, but I want to make more money by freelancing, but I can't seem to get any bites. What's the best way to go about getting clients?
>>
>>3905152
Where can I learn to calculate exposure values for a scene? Any recommended books? I have a full frame camera but if I push the ISO it looks like shit even on stills.
>>
>>3905757
don't push the iso. Actually light your scenes.
>>
>>3905758
Sure but is there a way to calculate the stuff so that I know what kind of lighting gear I need? It's not like I can afford a few redheads, blondes, kinoflos and skypanels.
Like, is there some easy way to go from lux to EVs so I can calculate the lumens I need to shine on the stuff and select appropriate light sources from there?
>>
>>3905747
Go find people who shoot video. Give them your showreel and some prices.

If you hit their pricepoint / Skillpoint then they will probably give you work.

Once you have a couple of jobs under your belt then WOM should spread.
>>
>>3905766
Yeah, see I get this response a lot but what I'm literally asking is the how part of 'go find people who shoot video'. Plus, from my experience, a lot of shooters just do the editing themselves. Should I be expanding my skillset to shooting also?
>>
>>3905762
Do what everyone else does:
>never set your iso over 800 (1600 if you're in a huge push)
>turn on every light in the vicinity
>shoot on lenses at f2.8 or faster
>use histograms to make sure your exposure is correct
As long as your shot's in focus, this is basically a cheat sheet to getting really good looking footage until you're doing something with actual money.
>>
>>3905769
>never set your iso over 800 (1600 if you're in a huge push)
I was hoping to stay close to ISO 100 lol, I guess I'll enable dual ISO (100/800)
>turn on every light in the vicinity
Won't that kill the contrasts and make everything look flat though?
>shoot on lenses at f2.8 or faster
ewwwwwwwww that amateur DSLR look, f/2.8 is the fastest I'm willing to go

I think I'll give this a shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAWAuGcQ8Zc
>>
>>3905154
short films must be political and faggy, you will get awards and networking, but never break out to feature films. feature films require talent, and a hint of faggotry, but you must have some sort of story or engagement of the audience.
>>
>>3905177
g9 AF when? what? i'm a loyal panasonic buyer now.
>>
>>3905779
>iso 100 indoors with practical light
are you on the surface of the sun?

set your iso to something like 800-1600 (on cinema camera this is native iso), set your key and exposure to have skin land at the exposure you want. I tend to put skin at light grey in a normal shot. set additional lights and mods to fill or block as necessary. anything further is subjective on style and gear
>>
How budget of a camera will btfo a phone?
Is it okay to start shooting with a phone?

Interested in making videos; no knowledge/experience with cameras besides lurking /p/ and digging through its archive for a week.
After browsing a lot of beginner gear I'm wondering if it would be most effective to start learning with my phone (midrange chinese one, shoots 4k). For the cost of a camera + cheap lens couldn't I get a phone gimbal, DIY lighting/reflectors, ND filter, and microphone? I could immediately start learning composition and how to shoot manually (Open Camera). Would have no excuses not to put a project together.

Getting some phone accessories and pirating a couple books seems like the most cost effective starting point/lowest barrier to entry... but I could be an idiot for even considering this.
Thoughts appreciated; would love to know if this is an awful idea.
>>
I tried and failed to find small fluid video heads.
I want to put one on a monopod, but a regular ballhead is not smooth enough. What are my options?
>>
>>3905864
what about the Manfrotto MVH500AH that's specifically made for that
>>
>>3905869
That's about the same size that I have already. I was hoping there would exist at the sizes of the little brother, mvh400ah. If that had horizontal fluid as well it'd be perfect.
>>
>>3905859
It's not a bad plan. Look at all those tiktok vids. Editing and skill while shooting vastly outweighs image quality.
>>
>>3905874
Oh I'm retarded, it actually has horizontal fluid twist as well.
Search is over then I guess.
>>
>>3905177
>>3905796
Make the AF work better with Olympus lenses and then we're talking.
Otherwise, Panasonic is less appealing compared to the Blackmagic Pocket 4k. At least you get BRaw, and OMDS is actively collaborating with Blackmagic to optimise lens compatibility.
That is unless you need SOOC IP streaming, then the GH5II and the BGH1 are appealing again.
>>
>>3906108
>OMDS is actively collaborating with Blackmagic to optimise lens compatibility.
you mean helping them to fix and get back all the basic compatibility blackmagic fucked up with their latest firmware update
>>
>>3905859
>gimbal, DIY lighting/reflectors, ND filter, and microphone
a good rule I have for gear is, do projects until you run into needing a piece of gear, and don't just buy it. but my suggestions for someone starting out is, depth of field and finishing many projects. even if they are shitty or small, finish a bunch of projects. try to have 2 projects completed a month, or more. build your folder up to 20 completed small videos.
>>
File: 1621602703033.png (573 KB, 720x391)
573 KB
573 KB PNG
Can I replicate this with a DSLR?

How

pls help

https://youtu.be/JjpClAJ3Ums
>>
>>3905864
I got this one, and I really like it
>>
>>3906108
It's not panasonic's fault that blackmagic can't figure how their af is working.
>>
>>3905177
The subpar lowlight performance and the horrible auto focus was enough for me to switch to a6600
>>
>>3906176
telephoto + orange filter?
>>
File: proxy-image.jpg (73 KB, 600x600)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
Should I get a lumix 14mm 2.5 prime or lumix 14-42 3.5-5.6? I have a 24mm 1.7. I'm on g9 MFT. I guess it boils down to more light vs convenience.
>>
>>3906266
variable fstop is bad for video
>>
>>3906300
yeah, but if you don't zoom, it doesn't matter right? I am leaning toward the prime just for the low light though.
>>
>>3906306
Yeah if you're not going to use the zoom anyway might as well go prime. 14, 25 and a ~45 or 50 would be a great kit on m43
>>
>>3906306
It'll still fuck up your game if you're doing constant fps. With variable you just need to worry about light of the scene, nd stops needed, actors fucking up, framing, shutter speed, focus, zebras and addiction habits of your 2nd assistant. Imagine what computing power you'll need worrying about fstops changing during zooming as well.
>>
File: 1614600224440.png (360 KB, 600x580)
360 KB
360 KB PNG
>>3906227
I just know that you're lying, lol.

>worst rolling shutter in class
>still only 8bit video
How do you like that snoyi colours science even worse with them artefacts?
>>
Is canon the only option for native/dual iso, raw and frame?
>>
>>3906642
Canon doesn't provide dual iso. Dual gain output, in the c70 and c300, is completely different.
>and frame
What are you talking about?
>>
I want to play with the anamorphic look on an mft camera. Would it be better for me to buy a Sirui lens or save up for the Vazen lens? I’ll mostly be shooting music videos and bands with the lens for now. Red pill me on how these two lenses differ. This is my first time going for an anamorphic lens.
>>
What do you all use for video editing on Android? Like the snapseed equivalent.
>>
File: deniro.jpg (23 KB, 618x412)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>3906684
>video editing on Android
>>
>>3906675
>I want to play
just rent them then
>>
>>3906648
anon fell for the FF meme
>>
Is it worth trying to shoot a first short film on my old a6000 or should I upgrade/rent something better?
>>
>>3906709
Your first short film will be shit regardless unless you're working with talented people who make the film for you.
You may as well shoot it on a toaster for all the difference it will make. The worse camera you choose, the better, as it will help you figure out what you need your camera to be able to do in the future.
>>
>>3906648
Oh yeah they had the dual gain thing. And I was retarded and forgot to write full, full frame.
C70 seems quite cheap, 6k usd compared to over 10k for the c300 mkiii.
>>
>>3906781
c70 has no raw though
>>
>>3906480
I’m using a gimbal so it’s irrelevant.

8bit for weddings is fine.
>>
>>3906804
What were you using before? GH5S?
>>
Ok, Ive done a few scenes with my M6 II, and noticed the audio is trash at best in camera. What would be the best way to remedy this? There are an assload of aftermarket hotshoe mics, but I'm wondering if the issue might be with canon's internal audio recording as well. Any thoughts on what I can do?
>>
>>3906811
External recorder, put the mic as close to your talent as you can.
>>
>>3906813
Any recommendations for external mic/recorder combos?
>>
>>3906814
schoeps mini cmit into a sound devices
>>
>>3906806
Gh4,gh5 now a6600 for the autofocus
>>
File: 1612196203330.jpg (181 KB, 1280x720)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
what did you wish you had learned sooner in your videography career
>>
>>3906960
Skills do not matter nearly as much as networking
>>
>>3906973
>Skills do not matter
[4chan.org banner]
>>
Just got a G9. How important is 10 bit recording? How important is V-log L? Is it fine to do without?
>>
>>3907043
>How important is 10 bit recording?
essential for log
>How important is V-log L?
important for high dynamic range scenes
>Is it fine to do without?
depends
>>
>>3907055
Okay how important is it for high dynamic range scenes? Like how big a difference are we talking?
>>
>>3907056
3-4 stops
>>
>>3907058

This isn't very helpful. What's the realistic visual difference I'll get out of it?
>>
>>3907064
like the difference in between a nearly complete white blown out sky behind your backlit subject and a blue sky with clouds pulled back down out of the white
>>
I wanna do product reviews on YouTube. What's a good way of lighting a table for everything to be clear and well-lit?
>>
>>3907073
relatively big (like 4x4) source overhead
>>
>>3906797
Does raw really matter with video?
Any decent log profile should be able to preserve as much DR as raw, while only offering white balance in post and boosting ISO (though depends on the camera, raw format and recorder).
>>
>>3907141
it doesn't, I was just referring to the first post there
>>
File: 1610911027122.jpg (169 KB, 648x648)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
I need some help. I just reached 3k Subs on youtube and i want to up my game. I'm using an a6600 and i find it hard to vlog with it because the crop factor does not allow me to have a good connection with the audience. Should i switch to ff just for this? I'm using the 18-35 sigma with mc 11 adapter and is heavy af. Will switching native make it better? I hate being cucked by my own gear
>>
>>3907307
no
>>
>>3907315
what if i get the native lens?
>>
>>3907317
will most likely make it lighter because you won't need a 1.8 lens to vlog
>>
>>3907307
>i find it hard to vlog with it because the crop factor does not allow me to have a good connection with the audience
This is in contender for the stupidest comment I've seen in this general in the last month
>>
Are those magnifier/viewfinders for old camera lcd screens good?
>>
>>3907347
no, the low resolution screens without any focus assist are still useless
external is the only way
>>
>>3907356
Magic Lantern provides focus assist
>>
>>3907307
Just get a shorter focal length lens with no adapter idiot
>>
>>3906235
no need for filter, just color balance/set the color temperature accordingly
>>
Any recommendations for affordable shotgun mics? I'm a poorfaf but wanna record some interviews.
>>
>>3907410
mke600 is alright
>>
Fuck, I'm really loving the dynamic range, or rather how easy to use it is, of the magic lantern dual iso in 14bit.
What other camera is close to this power?
>>
>>3907690
Gh5
>>
>>3907307
Good luck vlogging with a full frame camera. Those things are heavy as fuck, just keep using your a6600. It's literally the best vlogging camera money can buy because it's the best combination of image quality, weight, and autofocus. Maybe hold out for the new Sony interchangeable ZV camera they're about to announce.
>>
File: 1623100580726.png (244 KB, 580x449)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
>>3907727
y-y-yes! Also, invest into more Sony lenses for better Sony picture quality.
>>
>>3907407
Tony Scott would have used a filter.
Use a filter for his memory. RIP.
>>
where are good places to practice recording video? i can only record my house so much.
>>
>>3908022
go to shows
>>
>>3906190
>>3905864
I teach video production and we have several tripods with these exact heads on them. The plate locks in perfectly snug and I was pretty impressed by how smoothly it moves. I'm surprised to see they're only $33.
>>
>>3905779
>>3905762

EV / Lux conversion calculators exist.

However...

Learning to use a light meter will tell you better about your particular shot/lighting situation. Measure at the brightest, darkest, and what is most important to your exposure (subject or actor). Electronic meters are easier, but vintage meters will do the job as well - just need a chart converting foot candles to ISO / f stop (had a chart somewhere for it).

Scopes/Histogram are secondary to your light meter.

Doing these measurements should not dictate what type of lights you use, but what effect or technical challenges you have (space, budget constraints).

That being said, adding additional light or controlling existing light is always better than bumping your ISO.

ISO800 is common as its a sort of happy medium for most cameras, and native for a lot of commonly used cameras. It's more difficult, but will give you better results.

Start with Bare bulbs, preferably not LED (cheap LED's can have some nasty color cast/flicker). Clamp lights or bare bulbs with Chinese Lanterns are great for this.
>>
>>3908105
based. All the old school meters I've used had some of calculator built in similar to pic
>>
My camera has 24p mode but no 48 shutter speed setting. Is 50 okay?

Also is it okay to film in 24p in europe just to get that clean 2.5x slow down from 60p?
>>
>>3908154
>Is 50 okay?
yep, it's probably better for avoiding flicker anyway
Also is it okay to film in 24p in europe just to get that clean 2.5x slow down from 60p?
yep, for online for sure since most devices and monitors are 30/60 anyway. sticking with pal only matters if you're contracted for a tv station for example
>>
For about $2000, what is a good camera for filming?
>>
>>3908159
p6k
>>
>>3908022
When I started, I did the following in order
>test videos in my house
>a couple of friends messing around badly trying to act out a script we half-assed, filming in our local park
>a couple of live gigs of friends singing
>trying to film a music video using the hallways of my university dorm (I went to college a few months after I started experimenting)
>more friends singing
>a visually cool attempt at a short film using the areas around me and my friends
The takeaway is really to make friends and abuse them. If that doesn't work, join some acting facebook groups and offer to shoot some showreel footage. Explain that you're just starting out. You'll almost definitely get some hits
>>
>>3908159
Gh5
>>
i got an XT-4 purely for stills but as it happens it takes pretty decent video too
>>
File: rain.webm (2.96 MB, 2000x844)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB WEBM
Did tons of "b-rolls" the other day with my 5d3, magic lantern.l, dual iso 14bit.
Great footage, but unless you set it up for a tripod pan or no pan, you have to guess what you're shooting.

Where's that other ML anon?
>>
>>3908289
>>3908160
just get a6600 retard
>>
>>3908374
>just get a 8 bit gimped shit camera
why
>>
>>3908392
>why
better autofocus
better low light
better bokeh
better lenses
better sensor
better battery
better weight
better aesthetics
sony
>>
>>3905152
What's the best 8mm tape still available? Just found my old Sony handycam and wanted to make some vids of me and the Bois when we hit the tail of the dragon later this year. Might also try to convince the gf to make a sex tape for the lulz
>>
File: s1545933507580.jpg (52 KB, 388x369)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>3908442
>sony

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2019 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2018:12:27 18:57:27
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width388
Image Height369
>>
>>3908442
none of that is true except autofocus, which is a non issue
>>
I made a mistake buying a big fuck camera and now I hate trying to film with it. Don't make the same mistake bros...don't be like me....fs700r...
it's just so heavy...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHY DID I DO IT
>>
>>3908159
the one that can shoot the things you want
>>
>>3908442
>>why
>better autofocus
Useless
>better low light
Might be true but depend on the lens too
>better bokeh
Lens
>better lenses
Did you heard of adapter for old lenses?
>better sensor
10bit so a6600 btfo
>better battery
what?
>better weight
Ok
>better aesthetics
Retard
>sony
Not a argument. Both are great.

Pkus gh5 have better ibis.
>>
>>3908498
>Useless autofocus
Ok it may not fit your needs,for my run n gun work is a must.
>Low light
I had the 18-35 with ultrametabones on my gh5 and i couldn't even focus when f1.2. So yeah it was a problem
>adapter
yeah the best combo was 0.71 ultra with the 18-35 but still didn't do the job for me
>10bit
so what are you filming?
>bat
battery life is way better on the a6600, you can shoot an entire wedding with only 2 batteries. With the gh5 i needed 5
>Better aesthetics
matters in clients eyes.
>Pkus gh5 have better ibis.
I use gimbals but yeah smaller sensors are easier to stabilize i agree
>>
Why isn’t The Technique of Film Editing by Karel Reisz in the sticky? According to my prof it’s the standard.
>>
>>3908524
>Helpful guide, additional books and more in-depth FAQs - https://web.archive.org/web/20200926115310/https://pastebin.com/kG0gRmTZ
Did you even check the sticky?
>>
>>3908504
>I had the 18-35 with ultrametabones on my gh5
>you can shoot an entire wedding with only 2 batteries. With the gh5 i needed 5

Why is it always lying sonyggers that turn /vid/ into gearfaggotry general?
>>
Sony says not to use active stabilization if you are on a tripod but I find that any pans and tilts with the stabilization/tripod combo look really good. What are they on about?
>>
>>3908544
>tripod?
>>>3905152 /vid/ - Video General

plz. sonygger, at least pretend that you know in which thread you are
>>
>>3908536
The thing about Sony is that they make some pretty good batteries.
Atomos use Sony batteries for their external monitors and recorders, which I suppose is a vote of confidence.
I guess if you obtained a Panasonic BGH1, that thing has a massive battery that's probably more than good enough to last the whole event - it's rated for 560 minutes of 4k 60p.
But even the GH5 with a battery grip could enable it to last longer.
>>
gran meme bro :V XdxDxddxdxxdx
>>
File: norwood.jpg (273 KB, 983x1000)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>3908159
Depends on what you're filming.

A camera for run'n gun doc filming is very different than say, a camera for narrative filmmaking. Not to say that one can't do the other, but they have different priorities.

>>3908154
totally fine. 24P is still a standard for Film (movies/shorts etc) - 25/50fps for TV standards

>>3908109
Yep! And you can get the older ones even cheaper (like, $25-$30 or less). I still rock an old Norwood Director I got from a family members old camera bag.

Once compared it to my Cinematographer's Seikonic and they matched for exposure at least.
>>
>>3908588
looks comfy
>>
>>3908536
Lie about what? I have both
>>
Since no one here actually posts anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4V5r5kNc5U
Audio is kinda shit but I was one man banding it.
>>
>>3908759
Why didn’t you have something happen? If the implication is he killed himself (making the first shot of him after the shot of the fire engine a kind of bait and switch?), then okay I guess it made sense. But still, you could’ve given the audience something to watch and not just see.

The shot of him in the entryway was nice.

If you want to make it more interesting, find some Charles Bukowski poems that fit the mood (they all do, it won’t be hard) and read them over, narrator style.
>>
How good is the Carl Zeiss Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 radioactive lens or normal lens? How well would this vintage prime pair with a bmpcc 4k? I’m after some unusual bokeh for art house style visual poetry.
>>
>>3908830
This one was more of a stripped out mood piece in the vein of Tsai Ming Laing.
I debated having a voice over but feel as though it was too much and cut it.
>>
>>3908830
Doing a voice over of a Charles Bukowski poem only works if somebody is heavily drinking and/or abusing hard core street drugs in the video.
>>
>>3908866
It should be used for super special cases. 50mm gives you 100mm look, on top of that it'll be very hard to pair with any wide to normal because of colour cast and aged patina.
>>
File: 1545549788332.jpg (1.49 MB, 2345x1732)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
Is there any actual difference between brands for water-based haze fluid? Any discernible qualities? I would've thought there'd be at least one big comparison video just for fluids on YouTube and there's not.
>>
>>3906973
This. You can do the best work on earth and it isn't going to matter if it comes down to you vs somebody the customer's friend just happens to know. If you pride yourself on your skills, that's very hard to accept. I spent a long time asking others how they got their business and got many very unhelpful answers before eventually realizing that they were all just bullshitting about it and that success in videography is made or broken by how many people you can casually meet and get to remember your name.
>>
>>3909195
I was using it with a speed booster; I was going to shoot a music video with it. I just want that paintery swirly bokeh because I think it looks cool. Plus the lens is radioactive. :p
>>
>>3905154
keep your films 10 minutes or under unless it's a feature, budget out entry fees for festivals, have a festival package, and if anything make sure your movie sounds good or is memorable.

>>3905859
smartphone is OK to start, Get something that will give your phone manual controls (Filmic Pro), get a tripod mount, cheap tripod, and a decent mic.

Try to use the strengths of the phone (shooting in well lit / using the sun). Reflectors / bounce boards or flags are a must.

>>3906176
Warmer color temp or Orange Gel / Orange Filter. Shoot with the sun backlighting and stop down/ND until subject is silhouetted if you want to do it in camera.

You could also grade it in theory - though I'd recommend using the grade to enhance the look rather than create it from scratch.

>>3906709
a6000 is fine. Put your budget into what is in front of the camera, and sound (sound is a very cheap way of making your film feel more expensive).

>>3906814
Depends on budget. Anything is better than the in-camera mic.

Hotshoe is better but really not where you want the mic. You generally want it pointed at the source of sound, maybe 10-15 feet tops depending on the mic.

A decent external mic/recorder will get the job done. Zooms/Tascam recorders are popular at the lower budgets. Rode or Audio Technica for lower end mics.

Sennheisers / schoeps if ya spend a bit more on mics.

Boom Pole / Painters Pole / Dowel to put it where ya need it helps. For ultra wide shot dialogue, Lav Mics.

Ultra-low budget - a hot shoe mic with a smartphone as the recorder. It's a bit dumb looking but it does work.
>>
>>3909299
This is beautiful.
>>
>>3909299
pratically no difference with all the known brands
the only thing to consider is that almost all of the machine manufacturers tie their warranty to stating that the machine only can run with their fluid, so they put some tracable particles in there and will charge you if they can tell that you used cheap fluid that hasn't the same composition
>>
>>3907998
And for a tele lens, to honor Tony, it better be a 70-200
>>
>>3909306
I did a whole music video with that field of view. It was very intimate but it was pretty
>>
>>3909671
I was planning on only using one lens so it didn’t need to match lenses. You can do whatever you want when you make music video. :-)
>>
cons on casting a prostitute or escort for a film? not even for a sexual role?
>>
>>3909398
>keep your films 10 minutes or under unless it's a feature

Yeah this is exactly why short films are shit anymore and will continue to be until you stop giving a fuck about festival bullshit You need more than 10 minutes to fully flesh out something like an adaption of a good short story. I garuntee all those classic short films (tje best) in the 20-40 minute range would lose their magic if made to fit 10 minute or under standard.
>>
>>3909707
They can't act for shit. The only acting they're good for is in bed.
>>
>>3909707
They reason they're sucking dick for money is because they either aren't capable of anything else or they're too lazy to do anything else. Either way, you don't want them around on set.
>>
>>3909814
This
>>3909707
I've never done it before, any maybe I'm just a judgmental middle-class kid. Hiring a prostitute seems like a dumbass risk.
>unlikely to be able to act
>will creep out your other actors
>fear of her stealing shit from the set
>probably won't look very attractive under harsh set lighting
You can find actresses willing to take off their clothes for your film. Put out a casting call. Offer a few hundred bucks for the role. Have a portfolio that they can publicly view to see that you're a filmmaker, not a coomer. Treat them as actresses, not as tits with a mouth.
Alternatively, you can just hire a nude model.
>>
at what point does a lens become too heavy for the camera body to safely support?
>>
>>3909835
depends on the mount
there's specs for all of them
>>
>>3909851
e-mount and the lens is the Sony 24-105 G so
my gut tells me it should be okay but I would like to find specific numbers confirming that is the case
i am trying to google 'e-mount max lens weight' but am not having much luck.
>>
How did y'all anons go about practicing, and finding personal projects when you started out?
I have the want to go out and practice, I just don't know what kind of projects I want to take on.
>>
>>3909784
I'd argue the opposite - most of my favorite short films tend to lean under 15 minutes as they are very lean/economic in their storytelling. There are great shorts that are longer - but just not as many that I prefer.

Goes down to festival programmers trying to get as many good/great films into the festival as they can. If they can fit 3 good shorts in the place of one very good short, they'll go for the 3 good shorter shorts.

>>3909835
Does your lens have a tripod mount attached?

If it has a tripod mount, you probably need to support the lens either with a rail mount or mount the lens to your tripod.

Do you feel any play on the mount of the lens?

If you feel even the tiniest amount of play, you need to support the lens. Have had to make a few rail-mounts for some of my lenses for this exact reason (namely my bigger/heavier zooms).

>>3909861
Look up a piece of art, a stills photo or a shot from something you like. Try your best to re-create it. Don't worry about props/costume, go for the composition/lighting first.

If you want to practice editing, or color grading - I've always been a fan of pulling in existing material and make it into something new, or correcting it yourself. I once re-graded the entirety of Collateral to get rid of the green color cast.
>>
how in the h*ll can I figure out how to shoot outdoors? I used a ND filter and the image on my camera screen looked great, but the footage itself is extremely washed out. how do I ensure that the image on the camera screen and the final result are as identical as possible?
>>
File: blackfacetest_1.webm (325 KB, 1920x1080)
325 KB
325 KB WEBM
Rate my video anon. How is mah Resolve Skillz?
>>
File: creepy sperg stare.jpg (1.27 MB, 3152x4612)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>3909707
Unless you are planning on fucking the prostitute or having the prostitute fuck the cast and crew to pay them for working on your film, I see no point in hiring the prostitute in the first place. If you need an actor for an erotic film hire an actor not a whore, unless, of course, you're shooting amateur porn.

On a side-note: Is it legal to hire two whores and filming them fucking each other to make a lesbian porno? My autistic ass really wants to know the answer to this question.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7200
Camera SoftwareWindows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern22188
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:11:05 00:11:27
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypePortrait
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3910095

Your camera is probably adjusting your output image to the screen while you're recording in HLG, Cine4, or some sort of log profile.

Learn to colorgrade or use a profile that doesn't require grading.
>>
>>3910095
Use a histogram to hit your exposure properly. In bright sunlight, you can't properly judge whether the image on your screen has been exposed correctly.
>>
>>3910117
>On a side-note: Is it legal to hire two whores and filming them fucking each other to make a lesbian porno?
Semi. It depends on where you live, but there are a lot of laws and regulations passed that might make this extremely difficult.
For example, it's normally illegal to solicit someone for sex. In California, they passed a law making it illegal for the producer (person paying) to be a performer in a porn shoot.
And then there's this whole thing about consent which basically means you can't coerce someone to perform if they're uncomfortable for any reason, and can't use money to do that either.
>>
>>3910212
>histogram
Superb answer. Thank you!
>>3910119
I tried to grade the first day's filming and it still didn't pan out. I'll use a different color profile in addition to the histogram
>>
>>3910215
>can’t use money

Wait what,
They made it illegal to pay a oorn star
>>
>>3910252
No, it's weird. I'm not a lawyer and I don't make porn, so you'll have to do your research to get to the bottom of it and the specifics. But basically, "officially" the performer can't be coerced into performing otherwise it's rape.
So if she says, "I want to stop, I don't want to have sex with this guy" and you offer her $200 to change her mind and keep pressuring her, then that's possibly illegal.
If you say, "well if you don't have sex with this guy then you won't get paid", then that might also be illegal.
I say this, but most porn companies can get around these issues relatively easily. It's the sort of legislation that a million-dollar company can easily ignore since their lawyers can outargue some random junkie in court without even trying, as long as they "technically" didn't clearly break protocol.
>>
Are there any non-garbage USB cameras for shooting video?
All the options I find are garbage 'streamer' cameras that look like they would produce nothing but shit.
I'm just looking for a decent sensor that can output over USB. 100 bonus points if there is a replaceable lens.
>>
>>3910348
just get a cheap hdmi usb capture dongle and use any decent camera with a mains power supply
>>
>>3910348
most fujis have a webcam mode. i use my xh1 with the 16mm f/1.4 for video calls. people get to see my horrific mug in high def.
>>
File: Resolve.png (37 KB, 601x221)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
https://twitter.com/Blackmagic_News/status/1410433532627853312
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=143863
>>
>>3910400
Holy shit they fixed the speed editor? I haven't used that one bit since I can't use the bluetooth.
>>
>>3909861
Grab some friends and just shoot something. Probably the quickest way to learn what works and what doesn’t.
>>3908759
I just grabbed a friend and shot this in 2 hours.
>>
>>3910407
Updated both and still doesn't work with bluetooth.
>>
Can I ask for a budget action cam, i.e. chinese GoPro clone?
According to a quick internet search, pic related is apparently good enough. But is it really?
Because I've got some rather specific use case in mind.
I need a borehole camera, so a small camera that I put on a rope, add some lights and let down some borehole to inspect the walls of said borehole.
Bonus obstacle: The hole is full of water and up to 20 meters deep.
So it needs to be waterproof (and reliably so) and work good with low light.
What it doesn't really need is all that stuff like 4k and 120fps and timelapse and whatnot.
>>
File: output6.webm (2.45 MB, 704x576)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB WEBM
>>3910465
Now obviously, I'm not the first to think of putting a camera down a hole. In fact, there's loads of professianl solutions for it. And they've got plenty of neat features. They're on a cable, so you've got live TV at the surface and you can move the camera around, to inspect interesting features in the hole, but they've got two problems:
1. They're thousands of euros
2. webm related (no, I did not fuck it up in ffmpeg, the quality and the resolution are that bad)
So it seems like it could be worth it to give some ~100€ max stuff a try, if it's not obviously gonna suck.
One problem: Of course it's not gonna have that depth counter, but if it can show the time in the frame, that would work too.
>>
File: slowcat2.webm (2.34 MB, 1280x720)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB WEBM
>>3910116
2/5

rate my cat webm
>>
>>3910569
it's awesome because cats
>>
File: slowflag.webm (1.86 MB, 1280x720)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB WEBM
not happy with how this turned out
>>
Can anyone please share the Buttery Luts for BMPCC4K Gen 5?
>>
>>3910348
get one of those streaming boxes blackmagic makes and add an arri or a red and you'll have a webcam that's as boss as fuck
>>
>>3910608
Composition is a bit undefined. A longer lens and/or tighter shot would make the subject more prominent
>>
>>3910608
Agreed, would be rightly pissed if some trannies ruined my shot
>>
>>3905177
>>3906480

I'm not >>3906227 but legit this is my concern about MFT for vidya in general. I currently shoot a D750 and its okay, but would I get more 'latitude' shooting in 10/12bit? I imagine I would, but surely the MFT sensor would struggle when the light dips. I don't give a fuck about AF personally as I pull focus manually. I still like smaller sensors but I really find the low light performance of FF a big advantage over even DX cameras.

Heard that higher bit depth is good for things like chroma key (probably due to more colour information). I guess its a matter of how you're using it. Would 8-bit full frame maybe help in a dimly lit environment? While 12 bit MFT allow better colour reproduction in a studio? Halp. Am retarded with video.
>>
>i find it hard to vlog with it because the crop factor does not allow me to have a good connection with the audience
What are you even fucking saying
>>
File: research.jpg (132 KB, 598x537)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
I have jought the aputure shinobi screen. Touch screen is shit but at least It allownme to see what I 'm filming.
I m doing a short this summer and I saw that I have the option to put some LUT on the screen to see the rendering with it.
What LUT should I use to appreciate the image? How do you guys work with it?
>>
>>3910780
Atomos not aputure
>>
>>3910780
cinematic_skintone_alexa_natural_highlight_rolloff_v03dark.cube
>>
>>3910780
The one where you only talk about atheism outside of surface level photography discussion
>>
File: 1599461788405.jpg (24 KB, 400x400)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Going to ask here since I'm a complete newfag to cameras and /p/. I want to make youtube videos and my webcam was too shit. I bought a Canon EOS 2000D, which is charging right now. I'm starting to think I bought the wrong one for my goal and would like some input from people with experience. If I didn't buy wrongly, I'd love some tips on setting up a proper shot. To expand on that, it's just to record myself for now (and taking fun pictures in my free time), so I need it to be able to follow hand movements etc.
>>
Contemplating getting a gimbal, looking at the the ronin rs2.
Going to have a big setup, around 3.5kg. Is that too close to the limit of 4.5kg?
It's purely for stabilization of small movements. No ninja running or gay shit like vlogging.

Has the rs2 been out long enough for a new version to be released within the coming months though?
>>
>>3910862
>Is that too close to the limit of 4.5kg?
yes

>It's purely for stabilization of small movements
a gimbal isn't very good at that, especially if you want it to be precise. the struggle of you holding the damn thing with a 3.5kg load trying to do small precise movements will most likely be very frustrating
>>
10 bit 1080p 60fps or 8bit 4k 60fps?
>>
>>3910902
10bit 4k 24fps
>>
>>3910904
that
>>3910829
Look it up if you can get it to work with magiclantern. If it's possible you'll be fine, if not you'll still have a decent camera to work with, though it's true that there are better options available for the same price.
>>
>>3910879
For most shots I'd be doing I'd support the gimbal on my body. Extend the handle to rest on my hip when standing up.
I just can't get rid of the rotational jitter when I do handheld stuff.
>>
>>3910935
I'd highly advise you to rent one first and find out if you can really make it work the way you think it's going to work
because most likely it's not and all you've done is waste a grand
been there, done that
>>
>>3910902
>>3910904
8bit 4:2:2 4k 24p is also acceptable
>>
>>3910950
Fair enough.
We are able to return items here so I'll do that instead.
>>
>>3910608
It honestly looks fine to me. I'd say the colour grading needs contrast and for the gain to be lowered slightly.
Depends what you're using it for. For random b-footage in a documentary or something similar, I wouldn't complain
>>
>>3910829
If it shoots 1080/24p (it does) then you're fine.
If you were doing something more professional then maybe worry. But that camera is better than fine for youtube videos. Check the canon homepage, but they recently (last year) released a bunch of free software to let their cameras be used as webcams easily
>>
>>3910994
depends
for decent log shooting 8 bit is just too trashy in many situations, I need to keep it very flat a lot of the time or shit banding is just out of control unless I drown it in noise
>>
>>3910819
I dont get it
>>
Cine 4 or Hlg? A6600
>>
>>3908759
I like the shot by the streetlamps but this is too slow and boring. You need to add more edits and cool transitions if you want people not to be bored by your movie.
>>
>>3911188
>cool transitions
no. he just needs better storytelling
>>
Turns out finding a video on the xt4s dynamic range in flog/hlg is quite difficult.
People not doing actual tests.

What am I missing?
>>
>>3910994
>>3910904

That wasn't the question. I need to record some slowmo for something retard.

So, 4k 60fps 8 bit, or 1080p 60fps 10bit?
>>
>>3911299

log is always gonna be better for DR than HLG is why. It's not up for debate unless you're shooting at garbage bitrate/bit depth.
>>
can an older generation smartphone double as a monitor? are there attachments to mount the smartphone to a rig cage?
>>
>>3911355
by older generation I mean it uses a micro usb port
>>
>>3911355
>can an older generation smartphone double as a monitor?
You have to figure ot out
>are there attachments to mount the smartphone to a rig cage?
Yes

Just bought a (used) shinobi and life is so much easier.
>>
>>3911336
But even test videos for log is scarce.
I keep reading that the xt4 has great dynamic range, but no videos proving it.
>>
>>3911355

Yes but they're more expensive than a dedicated monitor anyways so who cares.
>>
>>3911334
Do some fucking research and stop whining that people aren't spoon-feeding you enough
>>
>>3911355
My camera has wifi which means that I just have to download an app to effectively do that. It depends on the camera and the phone is the short answer.
Theoretically, yes.
>>
File: 5JYxlX3[1].png (98 KB, 306x306)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>3911391

oh no he's asking a video question in a video thread get his ass
>>
>>3911355
no
the latency is unusable
>>
>>3911202
Storytelling doesn’t matter. He just needs to stop shooting on Sony and get a real camera.
The black bars help but you need to use more cinematic luts
>>
What is 8:8:8 video?
I heard that an older version of resolve could do 8:8:8 video when I was watching a history of resolve. I know what 4:4:4 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 video is but I never heard of 8:8:8 video before. I just wondered if any anons know what 8:8:8 video is and if it is still used?
>>
>>3911586
I mean 8:8:8 should be the exact same thing as 4:4:4?
I don't know why they'd write it like that but with 4:4:4 the first number tells you how many pixels are in each row, the second is how many are being sampled in the first row, and second number is how many are being sampled in the second row.
>>
>>3911598
it was the company that blackmagic bought resolve from that make something for 8:8:8 video so it just might be an old term for 4:4:4 video or they may have fallen into the use the larger number to make it seem more important thing ...
>>
>have no idea how or where i'm getting to the location
>get sent the call sheet at 10pm the night before the shoot
>got to figure it all out within 15mins because i have to sleep fast in order to sleep and wake up by 5am
this bullshit happens way too fucking often, why don't they actually send out the call sheets at least 48 hours prior?
>>
>>3911816
they are probably shooting the film gurilla-style and they needed to wait until security left before they sent a casting call or they are lazy and didn't remember to send out the cast sheet ...
>>
How does one achieve this aesthetic? Asking for a friend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbfeH6Q8PzY
>>
>>3912082
good set design and lighting
>>
>>3911359
>micro usb port
my 2019 still uses this lol
>>
File: 1573480969777.jpg (119 KB, 712x534)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>Got my EOS M50 Mark ii today to do youtube vids
>Trying to set it up
>Don't know what the FUCK I'm doing
I'm going to learn a LOT this week aren't I haha.
>>
I'm looking into cameras that offer some kind of webcam functionality, since I have some shitty 2008 720p webcam that looks like total garbo now.
Anyway... I have some Micro Four Thirds lenses, and it seems reasonable that the best thing to do is obtain some cheaper body for webcam stuff.
I've looked into both Olympus and Panasonic, and things are... weird.
For Olympus, only the bodies that support tethering can be used as a webcam, which includes the E-M1X, E-M1 Mk III, II and I and the E-M5 Mk III and II.
For Panasonic, the G9, GH5, GH5S, G100 and BGH1 seem like the only cameras that offer this.

Out of this list, the G100 is the cheapest, but apparently it's pretty bad. The G9 second hand seems reasonable, but it's also a fully fledged camera for stills...
Are there any other options that would do the job but also wouldn't "break the bank". The BGH1 would be perfect if it wasn't so expensive.
Are there any good alternative, like from Z-Cam?
>>
>>3912249
HDMI capture on your computer would open up your camera options
>>
>>3912249
My Panasonic S1 is able to act as a webcam ever since they released their "Panasonic Tether" program last year. I'm positive the S5 is able to do it too, so definitely look into that.
>>
What makes a BMPCC better than a Sony mirrorless camera for working in Resolve (other than it being made by the same company)?
Also does anyone have experience with both that can provide details on comparison?
>>
>>3912388
12 bit 4:4:4 with very decent bitrate, no baked in noise reduction
>>
I have a white dot on all my video no matter what lens I use. Is my camera dead?
>>
>>3912388
sony is arguably the worst when it comes to video image quality; it grades poorly too.
>>
>>3912403
probably a stuck pixel
try black balancing it
>>
>>3912406
What the fuck is this hyperbole?
I don't even shoot sony but literally every videographer who has used them will tell you that they provide excellent image quality.
The downside is their shitty ergonomics.
Nikon has the the worst image quality. Canon, sony and pansonic are all comparable with their own pros and cons.
>>
>>3912279
>asks for a cheap camera after saying that a used g9 is around their price range but is to photo-centric
>"hey what about a $2000 stills-focused camera? have you looked at those?"
>>
>>3912388
Blackmagic cameras provide internal raw that resolve can work with extremely easily.
Sonys, like panansonics and nikons, can only do prores raw at the top end of their line and as far as I'm aware, you can't open those files in resolve at all.
(I think panasonic might have started letting you record braw externally as well, but I'd have to check)
>>
>>3912253
The Micro HDMI on my camera is designed for "playback on TV". I haven't ever plugged it into a TV, but something also gives me the feeling that it won't output a clean HDMI signal, without the interface.
Only 4 Olympus cameras can, and I don't have one of them.
A total of 6 Olympus cameras have tethered shooting as a feature, and they can use Olympus Webcam (Beta), but unfortunately, the cheapest of the compatible cameras is the E-M1 Mk I and the E-M5 Mk II.
>>3912279
The Lumix Tether for Streaming (Beta) has been replaced by Lumix Webcam (Beta).
The list of compatible cameras includes all the S cameras, and also includes the GH5, GH5S, G9 and G100.
The S5 is a nice camera, but I don't really want to spend that amount of money for a 24mp body to just serve as a webcam. Plus, there's the added cost of the lenses.
Of the cameras most interesting to me from L-Mount, the Sigma fp L is it, with plug and play webcam functionality, but that's... not cheap.

The G100 is the cheapest Panasonic camera, and I can use lenses I already have, like the Olympus 17mm f/1.8. Plus, the G100 is a better video camera than my Olympus. The G9 goes for a reasonable price second hand, but it feels like a waste to use it for a webcam and occasional video camera too...
>>
>>3908159
Unironically your phone.
>>
What is the best sub $500 camera that is great in low light that I could get for a b camera?
>>
>>3912406
I've read that the sony cameras have better dynamic range though
>>
>>3912155
>>3912155
>>3912155
I made progress, learnt about ISO, Aperture and shutter speed. Only thing I'm stuck on is that 4k apparently goes to slow-motion? Do I have to edit this back to 'normal' speed recording, or do I just say fuck it?
>>
>>3912060
no idea, had to ask the dop where the location was, still haven't been sent a call sheet so i still have no idea what time i have to be there and what travel arragements i should make; shoot is on thursday morning

this shit happens way too often and it's pretty much the one thing i hate about this industry, they just expect you to magically turn up at the perfect time despite not giving you any information until the night before
>>
>>3912909
nah
https://www.cined.com/lab-tests/
>>
>>3908759
i'm sorry but this is trash. all the shots are static. all the shots have poor exposure.
>>
>>3906190
Hey I have that one, it is pretty good for the price honestly
>>
Am I fucking retarded?
The so called dual iso on bmpcc6k, you don't actually record in two different iso settings that is then merged?
It's actually just the ability to "change the iso" during post process?
>>
>>3913577
You ARE actually retarded yes
>>
>>3913577
>Am I fucking retarded?
yeah, but it's a bit confusing

>dual native iso, like pocket 4k, 6k, panasonic eva, red gemini, and so on
there's two analog gain stages, in the case of the p4k 400 and 3200, so the range from lowest to 1000 is all just digital push and pull from native 400 with adjusted gamma and the range from 1250 to max is the same with native 3200

>dual gain output, like with ursa 4.6k, all arris, canon c300III, and so on
two gain stages read out simultaneously and merged for higher dynamic range

changing the iso in raw is just metadata with either of both techs, but in dual native iso you obviously can't change it out of your chosen native range later on
>>
>>3913581
Oh so its NATIVE iso for the bmpcc.
Isn't that a marketing error?
>>
File: x.png (7 KB, 314x330)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>3913599
bmd is actually one of the more consistent manufacturers with their labels
but everyone just calls everything whatever the fuck they want since there's no standards in that niche market
>>
>>3913577
>Am I fucking retarded?
Clearly. How the fuck did you come to that understanding? Did you do literally any research on what dual iso is?
>It's actually just the ability to "change the iso" during post process?
No. It's not that. Dual iso literally just means that the sensor is calibrated with some science shit to work best at 2 different iso settings.
Most stills sensors have native iso at around 400, which is where they get max dynamic range.
Most cinema cameras are around iso 800.
Dual native just means that (theoretically) you'll get the same max dr at both 400 and 1600 (these are normally the two they choose if memory serves).
>>
>>3913640
Why would you need to change iso in post using raw. I can understand changing white balance in post, but isn’t changing iso the same thing as changing exposer using lift gamma gain what would be a reason you’d need to change the iso in post
>>
>>3913643
blackmagic film up to gen 4 uses slightly different gammas for each iso step to compensate for consistency so when changing exposure with the raw tab exp slider or a linear gamma node's gain instead of iso you need to compensate for that yourself to get a consistent input into for example your luts and whatnot

with gen 5 this is gone, now iso and exposure behaves the same
>>
>>3913604
Only checked videos. So all of the vloggers are retarded, my mistake.

>>3913640
You misread, I didn't say that that dual iso was the ability to change iso in pp, it was that blackmagics had branded it as that. Which now simply was the forementioned vlogger retardation.
>>
I have a VERY bright window directly to my right, which is also in the shot. Is there anything I can do about that without gearfaggotry or buying lights? Shooting with a Canon EOS M50 Mark ii.
>>
>>3913688
stick nd to the window if you need it free of curtains
>>
>>3913689
What's nd?
>>
>>3913691
neutral density
like lee 210
>>
Is it unrealistic to be into both video and photography? Do people do both?
>>
WHO FUCKING STARTED THE MULTI-CAM FOR INTERVIEWS AND SIMILAR?
WHERE THE DUDE TALKING LOOKS INTO CAMERA A, BUT CAMERA B IS OFF TO THE SIDE

FOR LACK OF A BETTER WORD, IT'S FUCKING CRINGE
>>
>>3914092
I do both. Photos and videos. I do news stuff. So I do talking head interviews, and photos of news events.
>>
>>3914105
it's needed so you can cut back and forth to get rid of all the silence and shitty moments of your untrained subjects
>>
>>3914165
Why can’t you use b-roll for that? Do you really need two angles of the same retard talking?
>>
>>3914178
how many times per sentence can you cut to broll? it gets annoying very quickly
>Do you really need two angles of the same retard talking?
more than two are even better so you're not just jumping back and forth
>>
>>3914105
>WHO FUCKING STARTED THE MULTI-CAM FOR INTERVIEWS
news and talk shows lol
>>
File: R6.png (25 KB, 647x254)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
ayy ungimped
>>
In stabilized footage, mechanically, I often see high contrast areas flash/flicker, like the image is overlapped.
What exactly is the reason for that and not the rest of the image?
>>
>>3914289
do you have an example of that
>>
>>3914292
I don't have any footage, I saw it the other day and can't find the video again.

I think I've seen most of it from phone sensors now that I think of it.
Could it be moiré?
>>
>>3914295
Are you sure it's not digital stabilization? Because that sounds the pulses of motion blur captured by bumps to the camera that are still visible after it's stabilized.
>>
>>3914307
Oh, that does make sense. But I am certain I have seen it in non-digital too. Perhaps it's just how it is for micro-jitter and certain sensors.

So then simply higher shutterspeed would be the way to reduce that phenomena?
>>
>>3914318
Not sure but that does make sense.
>>
>>3914318
>So then simply higher shutterspeed would be the way to reduce that phenomena?
yes
>>
>>3914092
They kind of overlap. Can do both but wouldn't mix the job types on a professional level (doing stills and video simultaneously at a gig alone).

>>3913688
Many solutions depending on the shot.

Scrims or silks may help reduce the amount of light coming through.

DIY version would be something like a shower curtain liner (or a white shower curtain) to help cut the light softly.

ND Gels as >>3913696 >>3913689 are an option as well - particularly if you want a more semi-permanent solution, sheets pretty cheap at around $9-$10 per 21"x24" squares.

>>3912403
Stuck/hot pixel. Black balance if your camera can, sensor cleaning mode works too. Can be corrected in post.

>>3914178
>>3914105
Primarily for options in post. It's also so that you have an angle at which the subject is talking to the interviewer, and a second angle where the subject is addressing the audience or giving a narrative (often a bit more of a close-up).

Started with news but has become kind of a staple to a lot of doc shooting.

>>3908759
Good on you for sharing, really needs a bit of work on the editing and screen direction. Let me know if you want me to elaborate.
>>
>>3914321
>>3914329
Nice, good to know.
>>
Your July Issue of American Cinematographer is here

https://transfer.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ac/ac0721/offline/ac_ac0721.pdf
>>
>>3912403
After remapping the pixels repeatedly with no luck I sent it back to B&H and got a replacement. This
new one seems to better.
>>
I am looking at freelance jobs for filming sports games. Is it even worth applying with a 25-105 zoom lens or do I need something with my distance?
>>
What is the best video recording camera for under 1000 dollars used right now? X-T3? Olympus Om-d e-m1 ii? Gh5?

Something I can just slap a lens on and take some beautiful video. Going to increase my budget of my video project. I need two cameras. Right now I'm thinking X-T3 and OMD EM1 II. I'm thinking I can figure out their strengths and weaknesses during the shoots and use them where they are exactly needed.

Going to be shooting cars btw.
>>
>>3914752
iphone 5s
>>
>>3914552
MVP of /p/ right here
>>
>>3914752
The E-M1 Mk II has the advantage of good phase detection based autofocus. But ultimately, that's what makes it good for sports photography.
Videography is a whole other beast. But I can say for certain that the GH5 would suck at autofocus, especially for a fast moving subject like a car, even though that's probably the best thing.

I don't remember if the E-M1 Mk II has access to the OM-Log profile or not...
>>
>>3914289
Aha, found some. This is from some youtuber, using a gopro, so digital stabilization.
>>
I used a Carl Zeiss 50mm Pancolar f/1.8 lens on my bmpcc 4k to make yet another video. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/cQ5sWh58iy0
>>
>>3914936
please kill yourself
>>
>>3914552
shame there's nothing interesting in this issue, just a bunch of shit about black people tv shows and films
>>
>>3914757
MV/p/
>>3914967
I like the stuff about LED walls
>One task required him to shoot plates off the coast of Puerto Rico, using Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro 12K and Pocket Cinema 6K cameras, paired with Sigma Art lenses. “We built a stabilized 360 rig with eight Pocket 6Ks in a circular array, each shoot-ing onto a 4TB Sandisk SSD,” Nicholson says. “We followed that witha stabilized rig built on the Black Unicorn [remote] head with five 12K Blackmagic Ursa cameras. Multiple camera pano rigs present a real data-management challenge, with resolutions up to 60K for our final stitched images.” For each plate shoot, Nicholson’s plate team captured more than 200 TB of footage.
>eight Pocket 6K
>five 12K Blackmagic Ursa
Wish I had even 1 Pocket 6K or 12K Ursa :(
>>
I just ordered these lenses: Kiev-16U Mir-11 Vega-7-1 Tair-41 for my bmpcc 4k. How good is this prime lens set? I can use less storage space since these lenses use 16mm crop mode, and they look so cool. I love old vintage glass.

I eventually want a photosniper lens because having a camera that looks like a gun would be really fun to use for street photography ....
>>
>>3910862
Have had the rs2 for 2 days now, got the pro combo, raven eye and focus motor.
God damn technology advancements are amazing. What a great tool.
>>
>>3914752
g9, but know that vlog is 100$ extra.
gh5 has hipster tax already. xt4 used to be a grand for a body few months ago, it was absolute steal for what it gives you. xt3 is quite a lot weaker compared to xt4. em1ii gives up splendid picture, but it's primarily stills camera, it's video tools and features aren't up to Panasonics standard. If you're good, you can go for it instead, though.
>>
Recommend me a 500-1000 usd beginner lighting setup.
>>
>>3908369
Could you explain what you mean by "you have to guess?" Are you referring to the lack of live view?

Someone knocked over my G7 on a tripod at a wedding. It was my B camera. My A camera is the X-T3 on a steadicam.
I'm heavily considering getting the 5D3 and using ML with it for the full frame 1080P raw.
I have a strong PC and experience with Davinci Resolve.
I'm only worried about how often ML causes the camera to freeze.
>>
>>3915088
In the "anamorphic" modes, most of the previews are broken in some way. The most useful one only shows the upper half of the image, and cropped in.

The camera has frozen for me about 5-6 times, and it's been when I fiddle about with the recording modes that are marked broken.

14bit and raw is simply amazing, not sure about 1080p though.
>>
>>3914936
audio is rubbish but the video looks superb! keep it up bud!
>>
>>3915108
Thank you. I'm probably still going to get it.
I would really like shoot some "full frame" looking footage at at least 10 bit internally and I have no other options in my price range.
>>
>>3915196
The main reason to get a 5diii for magic lantern is the dynamic range.
With card spanning(using two cards to record same footsge with) and sd card overclock you get high enough quality with 14bit and dual iso.
You need specific cards for that too, maybe 200usd worth.

Converting this dual iso footage is also hardware intensive, so if you're on a shitty laptop, it's going to be a boring procedure.

If you just want the fullframe 1080p, you might be better off with something like a sony a7. 5diii are going for around 800usd these days.
>>
>>3905794
>must be political

Political to the degree that it comforts neolib sentiments of upper middle class cunts. Art is now the playground of rich kids playing artist shooting shorts on red with absolutely nothing to say, a talented Haneke like leftist would not make it off the ground if they tried to make something like The Seventh Continent today, there is absolutely no room for truly challenging, uncompromising works of art purely on the artists terms when the world needs them more than ever.
>>
>>3915402
>pretensious arthouse films, not politics

Nihilism, or existential angst, is useful if you want to win awards and those themes should be easy for the people on /vid/ to make because those are themes that we know.
>>
>>3915402
>The Seventh Continent
>4 minute car wash
>too long for a webm
Yep, I'm thinking it's kino
You are right, the world needs films like this
>>
>>3915402
>Art is now the playground of rich kids playing artist
>now
lol ok kid
>>
File: hollywood_accounting.webm (816 KB, 720x430)
816 KB
816 KB WEBM
>>3915505
for me it's pic related
>>
Crossposting: can anyone identify these parts?
>>3913971 (You)
>>3913973 (You)
>>
SO VIDEO IS GREAT.

But tell me about your audio equipment. Can't have good film making with shit audio. What do you use?
>>
>>3916067
I'm doing mostly music stuff and not a lot of narrative work so your milage may vary a lot
I use rme preamps and interfaces, mostly neumann, schoeps and dpa mics and if I must a pair of sennheiser g3 wireless kits but I try to wire everything whenever I can
>>
>>3916067
2 zoom H1s as my recorders.
Various lav mics for dialogue.
A rode videomic. A neewer shotgun mic.
Countless hours in audition fixing everything
>>
>>3916067
I don’t use anything. I shoot music videos. I take care of the music, and the bands I film take care of the audio for me. I really don’t know what the bands use. I use DaVinci Resolve for the video.
>>
File: .jpg (198 KB, 768x1588)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>3916067
I've done both commercial video and filmmaking. For the past eight years I've been using an H4N with a mid-level Rhode shotgun mic I don't even remember the name of. It's handled anything I've asked of it and I've never been tempted to upgrade. You could replicate my entire audio setup with less than $300.

Somebody redpill me on 32 bit float. I like the idea of near guaranteed safety, but is it that reliable?

>>
>>3916256
I got the zoom f6. 32bit float is mindblowing.
While I still adjust the "gain" for headphone use, it's not needed to adjust it.
I recorded thunder last night and it probably clipped 40-50db, pulled it down no problem.

So if you expect a lot of unexpected loud noises, it's priceless.
>>
File: comfy pupper.jpg (121 KB, 1024x1024)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>3916256
>with a mid-level Rhode shotgun mic I don't even remember the name of
lemme get a pic, my man. this is the information i was seeking.
>>
>>3916067
for my own kit, a Tascam DR40D and an old Audio Technica ENG Mic.

Usually rent if I need anything better to be honest.

Seconding the G3 kit - >>3916124 - damn good and not too expensive to rent.

>>3915850
possibly a small cheeseplate between the arca swiss plate and the base plate maybe?

>>3905794
>>3915402
>>3915413
Or just entertaining, or interesting enough to be remembered?

>>3915085
Used Lowel kits or Aputure LED's can be found within that.

If you're really lucky, may find a used set of ARRI or Mole's lying around but wouldn't start with those as you might set your house on fire.

Super cheap start with bare bulbs - keep em even at the high end because you'll still end up using them.

Depends on what you're doing though.

>>3914752
What kind of project?
>>
>>3916490
>ARRI or Mole's lying around but wouldn't start with those as you might set your house on fire.
I got a set of mini-moles for pretty cheap and they are low enough wattage that you don't have to worry about blowing a fuse
>>
I have an opportunity to receive either a mechanical steadicam or an electronic gimbal. Both on the cheap end, good enough for 2 kg worth of dslr.

What do I pick? In my mind, steadicam will be more flexible once I get good with it. But how long does it take to get better than chinese electronics? Not years, right?
>>
>>3917057
depends, these behave way more differently than most people think
the whole steadicam sled takes up way more space, the tilt is a completely different look because it's so far out of axis and it's way harder to hold in place or do very slow moves with it compared to a gimbal, it really shines at walking speeds and precise manual pans without any electronic guesstimating
>>
a7siii does 16bit raw externally?!

This sounds too good to be true, what's the catch?
>>
>>3917134
>what's the catch?
there's no recorder that can grab the 16 bit linear raw files
the only compatible one (ninja V) encodes it into 12bit prores raw
>>
>>3917137
>>3917134

Isn’t 16 bit linear raw the same at 12 bit log raw. Or is their some difference in image quality …
>>
>>3917137
Oh right, I see that now.
Then by the time atomos makes that possible there will be n a7siv.
>>
>>3916433
Turns out it's a Rhode NTG-2. You can get one on eBay for less than $200.
>>
>>3917221
it's not the same
12 bit log is nearly as good, but the 16 bit needs to be dithered down which kind of defeats the purpose of a fully 'raw' datastream but then again so does lossy prores raw anyway
>>
every single post in this thread is gear or tech wankery

have any of you actually produced even a single minute of complete content
>>
>>3917262
sure, can't post it though
>>
>>3917262
See >>3917266
I actually recently finished filming my first feature film. I'm spending pretty much every day tweaking the sound and the overall edit so that I have it finished by this autumn/fall to submit to film festivals.
There's no footage of it online yet, I don't want any potential press to label me as a '4chan filmmaker', and there's not much to say about it. So what the fuck do you want?
People don't post on 4chan because they want to share their camera tests of a fucking lens flare or the latest tiktok meme but 'cinematic'. They can go to r/filmmakers if they want to do that shit
>>
File: kyle hyde think.gif (25 KB, 192x224)
25 KB
25 KB GIF
>>3917240
ah, i may check it out. in the meantime i got an Oktava MK-012-01 Film Edition on the way. gonna play with that and see if it works for my environment. i did have my eye on that, as well as the nt5. Thank you kindly.
>>
>>3917262
> I made it lot of completed content

it was only videos that I use to troll morons on Facebook, but it was complete content
>>
File: samurai.jpg (232 KB, 1920x1080)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
what triforce lens is this?
>>
>>3917279
>r/filmmakers
You're joking? Right?
>>
>>3917262
I make boring corpo training videos, so absolutely. Mostly lurk though.
>>
>>3917343
zeiss, probably
>>
Bump limit reached, new thread
>>3917469
>>3917469
>>
File: 567139714_1280x720.jpg (25 KB, 1280x720)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>3917343
Zeiss B Speed (aka superspeed mk1). You have to stop down to get the triangles.
>>
>>3905779
>Won't that kill the contrasts and make everything look flat though?
Exactly. That's also why he mentioned using a histogram, since it's the closest objective feedback you have about how much light/noise you are getting. An 'ideal' histogram also dictates how much you can tweak footage in post so don't judge solely on what you see on the camera's screen.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.