[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Would modern cameras survive on the battlefield and in the trenches?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeEpson
Camera ModelPerfectionV700
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2018 (Macintosh) (Adobe Photoshop CC 2018
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2933
Image Height4500
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2019:01:21 14:11:30
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width625
Image Height960
>>
D5 and its other brand equivalents would yes. And do.
>>
>>3891038
Yes. Except wormji
>>
Far more complicated electronics are used in modern battlefields so I don't see why not
>>
>>3891038
Wars are only fought in impulsive, hot blooded countries these days, and people like that live in warm places so yes.
>>
>>3891038
what camera is that
>>
File: nikonf.jpg (41 KB, 618x355)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>3891067
Nikon F
Don mcculli's nikon F took a bullet and saved his life or something from a ak-47 bullet.
Probably wasn't a direct bullet.

I doubt any modern plastic camera could stop a passing bullet.
>>
>>3891038
>Would modern cameras survive on the battlefield and in the trenches?
Obviously yes, because we still have wars and we still get photos back from those wars.

>>3891073
>I doubt any modern plastic camera could stop a passing bullet.
Not modern *plastic* ones, but higher end digital bodies are made out of magnesium and magnesium can stop a bullet. Plus they've generally got much better environmental sealing than older cameras like the Nikon F.

So, like, yeah, a Digital Rebel is going to crap on you pretty quickly in the jungles of southeast Asia, but a 1Dx or D6 should handle it no problem and should be able to deflect a bullet if you're lucky enough that one hits your camera and not any of your soft human surface area.
>>
Cameras back then weren't waterproof and very prone to mechanical failure. Often war photographers carried multiple cameras and parts on them since some would inevitably fail.

In comparison some entry level mirrorless or DSLR would probably be more reliable.
>>
>>3891077
>made out of magnesium and magnesium can stop a bullet.
Name one from not nikon.
>>
>>3891144

Horizontal Resolution216 dpi
Vertical Resolution216 dpi
Image Width1125
Image Height1727
>>
>>3891144

Image Width1125
Image Height1403
>>
>>3891144

Image Width1125
Image Height1387
>>
>>3891144

Image Width1125
Image Height1353
>>
>>3891144
Really, once you get above the entry level cameras, magnesium bodies are more common than non-magnesium bodies.

Image Width1125
Image Height1580
>>
>>3891038
>Damage 1 resistor in a modern camera body
>It dies
>Damage 1 resistor in a camera that use to be mechanical and electronic
While there are more cameras on the battlefield today. Which would mean more photos.
Past ones that were 100% mechanical could be washed out a few times and still used.
>>
>>3891162
Even entry level cameras have magnesium alloy, nothing special about it.
>>
>>3891144
There's plenty of them but I doubt it can stop a bullet. Maybe slow it down. The magnesium shell is pretty thin on most cameras, the rigidity is provided by the plastic inside it.
>>
>>3891156
>>3891157
>>3891159
>>3891161
>>3891162
Have these stopped a bullet?
>>
>>3891178
Well should they? It's a camera not a bulletproof vest.
>>
>>3891047
God, shut the fuck up you colossal faggot. I don’t even like Fuji and you’re annoying as fuck.
>>
>>3891214
But Fuji cameras break if you pull from the strap, the material is soda can tier.
>>
>>3891214
r e n t f r e e
>>
>>3891259
You literally don't know what that means
>>
>>3891259
learn how to use memes right, retard

>>3891047
rent free

>>3891038
unironically yes
modern cameras are more robust than people think
>>
>>3891178
>Have these stopped a bullet?
I wasn't able to find any instances of them doing so, but I also haven't found any other instances of a Nikon F stopping a bullet. The obvious implication is that it's not necessarily that magnesium-bodied cameras CAN'T stop a bullet but that it's incredibly rare for someone to get shot at and it hit JUST the person's camera.

But now I kind of want to buy a parts-only EOS 40D from eBay and ask my gun-nut dad if he can try putting a bullet through it.
>>
File: Paranoid-wormji.jpg (68 KB, 549x558)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>3891214
>it's just one person

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width549
Image Height558
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3891478
You personally being annoying as fuck is not predicated on the hypothesis that there's only one of you annoying fucks doing all of the random anti-Fuji posting.
>>
>>3891483
Some Fujifags claim it's only one guy behind it all though.
>>
>>3891489
The guy >>3891478 is responding to made no such claim. He just said the anti-Fuji guy he was responding to was being annoying as fuck. And he's right.

And whether it's one dipshit or multiple dipshits being dipshits in the exact same way really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>3891497
>He just said the anti-Fuji guy he was responding to was being annoying as fuck. And he's right.
It sounded like he was implying it was one guy.
>And whether it's one dipshit or multiple dipshits being dipshits in the exact same way really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
It matters. The anti-Fuji phenomenon you witness is nothing but the violent reaction of the masses to the relentless faggotry of the fujifags, both figurative and literal.
>>
>>3891038
No one asked, but the USMC, has already put in an order to equip it's photographers with Canon Rs
>>
>>3891517
JUST
Do you at least get the option to keep the 1DX2s?
Imagine being forced to use mirrorless, lol.
>>
>>3891521
Yeah, they're still in our unit's inventory and it's my primary photo camera while at work (I'm a public affairs guy turned videographer though)
>>
>>3891525
God bless.
For video I guess the R is nice, though.
Although when I did video (with a Panasonic camcorder) I usually used the side screen instead of the lens.
>>
>>3891527
>lens
kek I'm sleepy here and saying dumb shit.
Instead of the viewfinder - which has a lens in the eyepiece so what I said was a bit less dumb I guess.
>>
>>3891527
As for video, we have yet to shave away from our aging c100s. I've played around with a few XF400s and even one unit's c70. All are in various units' storage, but the c100 and some old camcorders are what are preferred for field use. I'd much rather take a camcorder to the field than the fucking bulkiness of a c100
>>
>>3891510
>The anti-Fuji phenomenon you witness is nothing but the violent reaction to blah blah blah
No one mentioned Fuji in this thread before >>3891047

It's a pattern. Search around the board. Look at the threads. Notice how often someone pops in with anti-Fuji trolling with no provocation.

Here, I'll do it for you with the threads on the front page:
>>3891519 (not counting the legitimate criticism of Fuji cameras that came before it, which is valid)
>>3890895
>>3886961
>>3891462
And, of course, >>3891047

The person or persons who have decided their sole purpose in life is to troll Fuji shooters are the cancer on the board. Fuji shooters pretty much just want to hang out and take photos and talk about photography.
>>
>>3891538
>Fuji shooters pretty much just want to hang out and take photos and talk about photography.
Lmao, are you serious? They are the apple fans of the camera world.
>>
>>3891595
Yeah Fuji shooters definitely hang around and talk specs and compare with fullframe and medium format cameras+lenses.
>>
>>3891448
I guarantee you that a 5.56 rifle round will kill any common camera from the last seventy years.
>>
File: IMG_6400.jpg (474 KB, 2048x1366)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
>>3891448
weirdly, the 40D has a plastic body just with flimsy metal pieces that glue onto the body itself

source: I coincidentally happened to pull apart one I got for 20 bucks a few years ago lol

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 60D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Width3456
Image Height2304
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2015:09:06 20:37:25
Exposure Time1/90 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length33.00 mm
Image Width2048
Image Height1366
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3891617
You sure that’s a 40D? Looks more like 50D or something. Pic related, 40D’s magnesium chassis

Image Width200
Image Height155
>>
File: 40d.png (873 KB, 740x442)
873 KB
873 KB PNG
>>3891623
deffs a 40d lel

that photo does seem to indeed be a 40d, but they don't actually feature a magnesium chassis
those metal panels you see are actually all screwed on
I was pretty surprised by finding this out
>>
>>3891038
No. Not if you work for a living. Hoohah
>>
>>3891595
see >>3893225
>>
e-4 mafia4life
>>
>>3891038
Yes. A good DSLR has always been as durable as a good SLR.
And now that DSLRs are being phased out by manufacturers they put even more emphasis on making their mirrorless systems robust. The reason why mirrorless has a reputation for being fragile is just that it originated as an alternative for hobbyists who want to travel light while being able to change lenses.
But now the industry is pushing mirrorless into the professional space, and that makes durability an absolute requirement.
Still, DSLRs can't be matched in terms of battery life. If I were to go to a warzone I'd still bring one for that reason instead of carrying 10 extra batteries.
>>
If I were going to war I'd take two Pentax KPs.
>>
>>3891616
5.56 can't even penetrate a person, it was designed to wound because americans are sadists.
A 7.62 might penetrate one but a NATO round will most definitely fuck any camera up.
>>
>>3891616
Pretty sure my 7Artisans 35mm would stop one of those.
>>
X-T2 is the most durable feeling camera I’ve held. Made in Japan©™®
>>
>>3899615
Just don't pull the strap or you'll snap the slug and half the frame off.
>>
I love how all of the incels in here have these dreams about bringing their bulky ass DSLR into war while in reality cameras during those times were flimsy as fuck and photographers just brought multiple with them.
You're better off bringing say 3 EOS M50s to a war than 1 Pentax or whatever cringe you thought of
>>
>>3899619
Source? Pretty sure that more modern Fujifilms.
>>
>>3899630
Dude I have the cheapest and shittiest Fujifilm released in the last 5 years or so and can't pull off the lid with the strap even if I tried
>>
>>3899624
Yeah no, the warzone guy who posts here uses a 6D. His buddy's mirrorless stopped working in a cold night and the 6D kept going.
You shul he backups but the Pentax beats the M50 any day of the week because it's weather sealed.
>>
>>3899630
Pic related.
>>3899631
A tough plastic construction (unibody) beats a flimsy metal one. The metal only gives a premium feel to the easily fooled, it's beads for the Indians. Now an unibody metal construction with engineering plastics underneath is actually a bit tougher because it's more flexible so it will dent instead of cracking. But a flimsy structure is a flimsy structure no matter the material and that's what the X-T2 has. Poor construction from a manufacturer that doesn't know what they're doing after years of sourcing bodies from Nikon.

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 8 Plus
Exposure Time1/4 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length3.99 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3899637
Just as well the X-T2 doesn't weigh 50 kg I guess!§§§
>>
>>3899640
It's not particularly light. The flimsiness comes from poor engineering decisions. They placed the lug mounts at the joint of two metal parts. Makes me wonder how the engineers got their degrees. Or maybe they just skipped the engineers and just hired some industrial designers with no serious structural training. In any case, the X-T2 is a sick joke. It's good for posers though. Like you, when you larp as a woman. Maybe you hope people focus on how your camera fails to pass as a film one instead of focusing on you failing to pass for a woman.
>>
>>3899646
I love how you didn’t once mention photography ability. Kinda sums up a lot of people on this board.
>>
>>3899651
I like how you want to bring photographic ability into a thread about gear durability. There's a damn good reason they use cameras like the 1DX II in the army.
>>
>>3899653
Good point. I'm surprised that there aren't more rugged mirrorless cameras that are targeted at the outdoor market.
Crazy how DSLRs are more durable yet they have so many more moving parts.
>>
>>3899654
So many more is a bit of an exaggeration, the shutter mechanism is the same in both but DSLRs add the mirror mechanism.
>>
>>3899658
The mirror mechanism is completely critical and given the construction and swinging mech it seems significantly more fragile than just having a shutter mech.
Do you think war photogs chimp?
>>
>>3899661
It's surprisingly tough actually, the part that fails first is usually the shutter assembly.
I suppose they chimp like everyone else when taking pictures in calm situations but if they're taking them when time is scarce then no. A (military) combat photographer is first a soldier and second a photographer.
>>
>>3899661
>Do you think war photogs chimp?
They do actually
>>
>>3899716
I would tbf. It's not like you can go back and take the shot again.
I'd actually find mirrorless more useful in this scenario for this reason.
>>
>>3899727
Good luck with that battery life
>>
>>3899727
take a look at Felipe Dana, AP wartog. he is using Sony for a while now.
>>
>>3899637
That camera had a quick release plate on it that was wedged in between the slats of bench, then was yanked with gorilla force by the strap. Any camera would probably get fucked by a dingdong who did this.
>>
>>3899738
>Getting up from a chair
>Gorilla force
How's that onions drink m8
>>
>>3891073
lmao the sensor on that thing
>>
>>3899731
If soldiers can carry 200 rounds, I can carry a few small batteries... Also, most are USB chargable.
>>
>>3899738
But but but! In a war situation, your camera might get stuck in some slats and as your tank drives off it might pull off the top of the camera!
A Canon could easily survive this.
>>
>>3891038
>Buy modern camera
>grain or dirt infiltrates shutter
>breaks
>>
>>3899757
This happened to my 1982 AE-1...
>>
File: 1602951303925[1].png (83 KB, 645x770)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
>when someone doesn't name a flagship Canikon DSLR
>>
>>3899746
>Nikon F
>sensor
>>
>>3899741
What did you just say about me, you little faggot?
>>
>>3899738
Fujislug damage control is so funny
>>
>>3891038
They already do. Nikon and canon pro bodies are your best bet right now. Same thing with Vietnam. Nikon F was better suited for the conditions but that didn’t prevent photographers from also bringing their more fragile leica. Not exactly related but sometimes it pays off having a backup cheap camera you’re okay with losing.
>>
>>3899746
>lmao the sensor on that [Nikon F]
Jesus Christ, anon.
>>
File: poggers.jpg (5 KB, 99x141)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>3891073
>Don mcculli's nikon F took a bullet and saved his life
>camera doesn't have bullet entrance hole
>>
>>3904265
The pic is just trash

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.