[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 99 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: vidgen rough cut.jpg (69 KB, 971x1028)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
May 2021 Edition... The end is surely near?
All video related questions and discussion is intended for this thread. Here we discuss techniques, gear and anything else related to capturing video footage. Please don't pretend to be an expert if you don't know what you're talking about. Kindly leave your ego at the door.
Posting short films/scripts or other work you've done is encouraged.
We tend to use and recommend DSLRs/mirrorless cameras because they provide phenomenal picture quality for their price, have large sensors (ie the same size used in high-end cinema cameras and higher) and have interchangeable lenses.
In contrast, consumer camcorders normally have much smaller sensors and a fixed lens.

>STICKY - https://pastebin.com/35u6DcnF
>Helpful guide, additional books and more in-depth FAQs - https://web.archive.org/web/20200926115310/https://pastebin.com/kG0gRmTZ

>NO ONE CARES WHAT AN EXPERT YOU THINK YOU ARE. IF YOU’RE ASKING BASIC-AS-SHIT QUESTIONS, YOU CAN’T BE ALL THAT GREAT. SEE ABOVE

Previous thread >>3853817

Quick FAQS
>what’s the best camera available on a “budget”?
The blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k
>>what’s a good beginner video camera?
Anything that works, shoots at least 1080p and preferably has interchangeable lenses. Any recommendation beyond that will cause arguments so read the fucking sticky if that isn't satisfactory.
>Can I use a zoom lens for video?
Yes
>Do I need cine lenses?
No
>Do I need 4k?
No. It will make your footage look sharper if it’s in focus, and it gives you breathing room in post. But 1080p is still absolutely fine
>Can someone tell me if my video is any good?
Yes, but be prepared to receive harsh criticism. If you're going to waste 5 minutes of our time with a shitty out-of-focus montage of nothing then we'll tell you that it's crap
>>
can we get some more /vid/ memes? I think they're really funny
>>
>media encoder
>4k h.264 2pass 10-12mbps
>1m 54s clip
>5950x rtx 3090 64gb ram 4gb/s write nvme
>24minute render

thanks i guess
>>
>>3879734
use the voukoder plugin to get proper x264 cq and some sort of performance into media encoder
it's still shit compared to anything ffmpeg but it's something
>>
>>3879734
>4k x264 2pass
>24minute render
I see no problems. You might be able to get faster on ffmpeg if you know all the options, but you don't get gpu acceleration
>>
>>3879751
ffmpeg has had full gpu support including NVENC/NVDEC since forever
>>
>>3879753
not out of the box though, right? don't you have to have get special packages and compile?
>>
>>3879757
it's in most of the basic builds linked on the official ffmpeg site
>>
Hey bros, my Christening/Wedding freelance job got demolished by corona so i started a youtube chanel and i reached 3k subs in a month. I wanted to ask if i should stick with the a6600 because i'm not deeply invested in it. I only own the 30mm 1.4 sigma but i wanted to see if i should just throw more money on aps-c lenses. I heard a new a**** line is coming soon but there are beasts like the r5 or a7siii and i'm wondering if i should switch there. Redpill me bros
>>
>>3879791
sure, consume more camera bodies
of course it will make your situation way better the more money you blow
>>
>>3879792
Why are you being ironic? I just want better quality. Gear matters.
>>
>>3879795
then save up and get a komodo at least
>>
>>3879791
Last time I upgraded it was because my old camera wasn’t good enough in low light.
What is it that you want to do that the a6600 has trouble with?
>>
>>3879953
>a6600 has trouble with?
1.aps-c lenses are not gonna have value because everything will be full frame
2. One sd card slot
3. Bad low light
4. only 25 fps 4k
5. very bad codecs at 1080p (50mbs)
6. HLG unusable in 8bit
7. No type c port
8. aps-c lenses are overpriced
>>
>>3879791
Does your memetube channel generate enough income to pay for something else?

Yes? Go ahead and buy something else.

No? Keep working on your content.
>>
>looking into gimbals
>a big majority of them have tilted horizons

Are people fucking blind, not tweaking it, or is this some kind of ancient mystery that the companies hasn't solved yet??
>>
>>3880170
>Are people fucking blind
this
people are are lazy and don't give a fuck
it's very easy to correct on most gimbals, but obviously the main target audience of cheap gimbals can't be bothered
>>
>>3879791
Nah, waste of money sinking money into that sinking ship.
>>
>>3880227
a6600 is a sinking ship?
>>
>>3880711
Nah, youtube.
>>
>>3879791
>3k subs in a month
That's pretty decent, how much you win?
>>
>>3880728
not much

>>3880712
why is it dead?
>>
>>3880734
>why is it dead?
sjws
>>
>>3880734
>not much
Compared to what? just say the numbers
>>
>>3880748
I have a fitness Chanel

>>3880769
Literally zero at the moment I need some more watch hours
>>
>>3880776
Oh i see, thank you for your reply.
>>
File: gh5s_xlr1.jpg (49 KB, 700x700)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
Do any of you have any experience with using XLR adaptors like the Panasonic DMW-XLR1?
It's compatible with the GH5, GH5S, BGH1 and the S1H - it allows for 2 XLR inputs.

The reason I bring this up is that I've been asked a bunch of questions to do with recording music performances in places that are less than conventional for various reasons.
Considering how the best results would seem to be positioning instrument microphones in two locations either side of a piano or instrument player, then if you were recording a performance, having that sound input would be key.

But idk if something like that would be "worth it", and I'm not even sure how many people have experience using something like this. I'd guess most people make use of either a shotgun mic or a Rode Wireless GO plugged into a 3.5mm jack. This is good for more like YouTube/TV grade content, but then you're back to the limitations of a microphone not really intended for picking up the sounds from an instrument.
Do you just need to obtain a sound engineer?
>>
>>3880711
apsc sony is. No lenses. 8 bit video. Even a6600 is just 8 bit... Avoid, move to fuji/panasonic or larger sensors.
>>
>>3880966
>I'd guess most people make use of either a shotgun mic or a Rode Wireless GO plugged into a 3.5mm jack. This is good for more like YouTube/TV grade content, but then you're back to the limitations of a microphone not really intended for picking up the sounds from an instrument.
>Do you just need to obtain a sound engineer?
Maybe I'm out of touch, but what I do (that I assume most indie productions do) is use an external sound recorder like a zoom h1. Yes, you're using a 3.5mm jack but the pre-amp is decent and with noise correction you've basically got perfect audio.
I don't know anyone (professional) who records sound directly into a dslr/mirrorless
>>
>>3880980
If you're using an external recorder, won't you need some kind of Timecode synchronisation?

Surely if Panasonic offers direct audio recording into the camera (and most other camcorder style cameras do too), there's some sort of value in doing so, which I guess makes audio synchronisation easier and also lets you make use of dedicated audio equipment which may or may not be on site anyway.
Maybe /mu/ may understand this better.
But if you're dealing with XLR microphones and stuff, and you're feeding that into a 3.5mm jack, wouldn't you need some kind of audio mixer?
>>
>>3880991
>won't you need some kind of Timecode synchronisation?
I mean, I literally just use an audio cue and do it manually. But resolve and pp both have in-built systems to do automatically for you.
>Surely if Panasonic offers direct audio recording into the camera (and most other camcorder style cameras do too), there's some sort of value in doing so
The value is 2-fold.
1. XLR inputs are 'cleaner' than 3.5mm ports. There's less noise/interference and better quality microphones available
2. Meme videographers with more money than sense will spend money on it regardless because they think it automatically makes your audio better. Any company would be stupid not to capitalise on this (looking at you canon)
(It's also much faster if you need quick turnarounds)
>But if you're dealing with XLR microphones and stuff, and you're feeding that into a 3.5mm jack, wouldn't you need some kind of audio mixer?
XLR is different from 3.5mm. An xlr mic won't plug into a 3.5mm port and vice versa. There are some sorta exceptions, like I own a neewer mic that has two wires that can be plugged into it depending on what you're outputting to.
Do you own xlr microphones? They're more expensive, generally speaking. You can buy audio mixers for 3.5mm for relatively not much but it's probably easier (and possibly cheaper) to just buy multiple recorders. It costs like 70 bucks depending on your currency to buy a zoom h1. 2 of those and you're golden for 90% of situations.

Caveat: I'm no sound expert, far from it. But I do quite a lot of audio recording as a one-man-band. Everything I've written above is accurate as far as I'm aware but someone with more knowledge might be able to correct me on some things.
>>
>>3881000
I don't own any XLR mics, no, but I have handled them in the past. I have a bit more experience with 6.35mm jacks, actually, but that's, once again, from instruments.

The hypothetical use case would be for stuff like recording a performance of someone with a classical instrument of some sort.
It's come to my attention that most room microphones do very badly at accurately recording the specific qualities of a musical instrument.
Now... returning back to recording performances, if a pair of XLR microphones were used to record the sound from a musician, such as a pianist, violinist or the like, then what would be the optimal solution that doesn't involve having some kind of USB audio mixer that'll take the XLR inputs and convert them to digital audio?
It seems to me that the likes of the Panasonic DMW-XLR1 allows for a videographer to set up stuff for either a recording, or even a virtual concert by then directly streaming the thing online (even from directly in-camera with something like the BGH1, as long as an ethernet cable is plugged in).
Sometimes, there are also venues like civic halls, town halls, university campuses, churches and so on which will also have XLR conduits running through the venue, which strikes me as also something that could also easily facilitate recordings of, or online broadcast of anything from musical performances, to events, to political hustings/debates and so on.
If it were as simple as just plugging the inputs for stage microphones into the camera, then most of your audio setup has been done for you.
>>
https://twitter.com/Blackmagic_News/status/1392375156262064131
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=141034

Support for decoding AV1 clips on Windows.
Accelerated AV1 decodes on supported Intel, NVIDIA and AMD platforms.
Support for decoding MKV clips.

UPDATE NOW
>>
I know I want to take more videos, but I just don't know of what exactly
>>
>>3881631
>mockumentary about something mundane
>recreate one of your favourite scenes from a film (or a shit scene that you think you could do better)
>write an incredibly generic short film and film that for practice
Pick one of the above
>>
>>3881631
Make a vid for /p/. Subject - tech around your room. Mise en scene - your choice. Post to bitchute.
>>
babe wake up there's a new davinci update
>>
>>3881739
very minor one though so stop shilling
>>
File: vid.png (487 KB, 1405x877)
487 KB
487 KB PNG
How much of this meme from 2018 still holds up, /vid/gins?
>>
>>3881770
outdated af
>>
Is there a site for audio recording rumors?
I have the zoom h6, been eyeing the f6 because of 32bit. But I'd love for it to be the size of the f2.
Just two xlr connections and 32bit.
There's pricedrops of the f6 and it's out of stock in most places, not sure if covid or the are phasing it out for a new model.
>>
Red Pill me on the Resolve Speed Editor. Hardware controller for the resolve cut and maybe edit page with jog wheel. Right now it comes with a Resolve 17 license. Is it worth it to pick one up? How much faster would it make editing films in Resolve. What are the benefits of such controllers?
>>
>>3881949
Also been tempted by this, mainly just getting the studio license for 350usd. Doubt I would make use of all of the stuff that are pre-keybound. Wheel looks nice. Wireless is very nice.
If you work with this every single day, I suppose it'd be worth to buy it just for the device alone.
>>
>>3879791
Wow 3k subscribers. I only have under 100. What is your secret for getting over 1k subscriber and does your channel generate an income.
>>
>>3879795
Get a bmpcc 4k and adapt your lenses to that camera, and learn how to color grade braw footage. Instant quality boost.
>>
>>3881953
I don’t think I would have bought it for the device alone, but the resolve license made it worth it, and now I have a new toy on my desk to impress clients with.
>>
I'm sort of stuck on what camera I want to buy next for video.

I plan on shooting small docs and most of the commercial work in the future I want to be using rentals, but at the moment I'm looking for a dedicated video camera to shoot small documentaries and corporate stuff.

I'm stuck on either the Sony FX6, Sony FX3, or BMPCC 6k Pro

The only reason I'm looking at the last two is portability, if I do travel I want to have something small that can fit into a backpack.

At the same time, the reason I want the FX6 is the run and gun aspect of it, there's less time to set it up unlike the other two which need accessories to support it.

I've rented out the FX6 and enjoyed it, but I'm worried that I won't use it as much as I need to make the money back on it.

I already shoot with an a7r iv for photos, but I've been shooting a small doc with it, but I don't want to keep mixing the kind of work I do with photography with my a7r iv.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>3882054
c70
>>
Lets have a little short film challenge. You have from this Saturday 15th to next Saturday 22nd to make your film.

The prompt will consist of two words, an emotion and an object you must include in the film. Your film must be at least a minute long.

The Emotion is: Optimism
The Object is: Sponge
>>
We're almost 5 months into the year, what have we got to show for it?
What have you managed to accomplish in the last 4.5 months? Have you done anything?
I've gotten a few good days of filming which lets me finally close initial filming on my feature. So I've just got a fuckton of editing to do now.
>>
>>3882022
nah time sink in post.

>>3882054
what budget do you have? sony would be ideal because of lenses.
>>
>>3883141
I've done fuck all.
>>
>>3883141
two music videos
a bunch of `live sessions' for a concert agency
a short studio documentary
tech lead and planning for an ongoing series of streaming concerts
>>
>>3883150
> time sink in post

If you want to get a kino image need to sink a lot of time in either post (color correction and/or vfx) or pre (lighting and set design and/or makeup and wardrobe …) It’s really hard to get a kino image without putting a lot of work into your craft.
>>
>>3883141
>We're almost 5 months into the year, what have we got to show for it?
I shoot mostly sports and events, so pretty much nothing. We are just opening up now, gonna shoot some bullshit this weekend to get chops back
>>
>>3883150
I can buy the FX3 or FX6, but there isn't any available atm.

I'm just thinking about which will I will use the most. I'm shooting a small doc on it, but I don't want it to collect dust when I finish it.

Will I be able to use it for future jobs? Will it be easier just to use the FX3 since it's not as much or will it cost as much to rig it?
>>
Recs for a small but good mic for RX100?
>>
>>3883141
I shoot live bands at bars. So nothing this year. Hopefully this covid bullshit will end by next summer so I can start shooting stuff again. Right now I’m learning new techniques on YouTube so I’ll be ready to shoot videos again when thugs reopen.
>>
How long should business highlight and marketing videos last? I got shots of a lounge in my town, and want to deliver a short, medium and long cut.
>>
>>3885825
30 sec short with only a key statement over broll
1-2 min medium, short interview segment along with broll
3-4 min long, two or three short interview segments highlighting different aspects separated by broll
>>
>>3883866
Are you in the states? You're right about the FX6 but you can find an FX3 at Dodd Camera.
>>
>>3885830
cosigning this + high energy, engaging and brief
>>
>>3883141
Made this a few weeks back. Learning how to use Divinci Resolve atm, the stabilization feature is pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2suL5gHjvig
>>
>>3886336
Brief means, 5-10 sec separate vid or 3-5 sec intro to 30sec vid?
>>
>>3886433
The best part is the reveal at the end which is cut off halting a feel to set in. I see your intention of experimenting with stabilization. I'm not a fan of the cellphone aspect ratio (this is subjective and personal). Also you are namefagging, but at least you posted a vid. Needs a mini story. A couple shots leading up, and then the window landscape reveal, or voiceover that follows the outside visuals.
>>
>>3886439
Thanks for the feedback. I want to do a few videos to songs with the visuals taken around London.

>cut off halting a feel to set in
Agreed, it's rather abrupt. Wish I had filmed for a few seconds longer.

>I'm not a fan of the cellphone aspect ratio (this is subjective and personal)
I wish I had shot it horizontally now, don't mind the aspect ratio too much.

>Also you are namefagging
Been tripping for over a decade on this board yo, not that particularly matters.

>Needs a mini story. A couple shots leading up, and then the window landscape reveal, or voiceover that follows the outside visuals.
Duly noted.
>>
File: hazy room.jpg (18 KB, 473x315)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
What's the cheapest haze machine suitable for interior filming? I don't need to cloud up a stadium, just a household.

Why a haze machine and not a decent little smoke machine? Does the effect hang for longer? I've used a smoke machines before and noticed clouds swimming in the light beams- is that a common problem with smoke machines and not hazers?
>>
>>3879650

After watching Snyders Army of the Dead which is filmed completely with a 0.95 lens wide open, I'm completely over bokeh. Holy hell that was distracting.
>>
>>3886454
>What's the cheapest haze machine suitable for interior filming? I don't need to cloud up a stadium, just a household.
elation magma prime or any of the rebrands
>Does the effect hang for longer? yes
>noticed clouds swimming in the light beams- is that a common problem with smoke machines and not hazers?
yes, you'll get it with vapour based hazers too, but a good fluid will hang long enough in the room that when it's completely spread out and you dose correctly there's practically no clouds. it won't be as perfect as an expensive oil based hazer but you can get close with a decent 1kW-ish hazer, good fluid and enough time to spread and dial in the amount
>>
File: IMG_20210523_002145.jpg (2.68 MB, 4000x2250)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB JPG
Hi. I made a diy dolly kart this afternoon. It way more exciting than holding the camera around in your hand.
Still, there is a lot of vibration. I tryed the premiere pro stabilization algo but I think it's shit. Got the ibis started on the gh5 too.
Do you guys have any advice on how I could reduce vibration?
Also, please share your diy /vid/ gear.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera ModelRedmi Note 7
Camera Softwarelavender_eea-user 10 QKQ1.190910.002 V12.0.3.0.QFGEUXM release-keys
Equipment MakeXiaomi
Sensing MethodUnknown
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2021:05:23 00:21:45
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure Time1/14 sec
Focal Length4.74 mm
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Image Height2250
White BalanceAuto
Brightness-3.4 EV
Image Width4000
Exposure ModeAuto
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
>>3886951
>Do you guys have any advice on how I could reduce vibration?
Lenses with inbuilt stabilisation
IBIS
springs between the tripod and dolly, or the wheels and the frame
Using a gimbal
>>
File: IMG_20210522_201415.jpg (3.51 MB, 4000x2250)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB JPG
>>3886955
>>Do you guys have any advice on how I could reduce vibration?
>Lenses with inbuilt stabilisation
Got.the lumix 12-35 f2.8 which have internal stabilization
>IBIS
Got it
>springs between the tripod and dolly, or the wheels and the frame
Any reference for springs? I have been around ans did thind any.
>Using a gimbal
Not the same thing

Camera ModelRedmi Note 7
Camera Softwarelavender_eea-user 10 QKQ1.190910.002 V12.0.3.0.QFGEUXM release-keys
Equipment MakeXiaomi
Sensing MethodUnknown
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2021:05:22 20:14:14
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure Time1/33 sec
Focal Length4.74 mm
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Image Height2250
White BalanceAuto
Brightness-2.0 EV
Image Width4000
Exposure ModeAuto
Lens Aperturef/1.8
>>
>>3886951
>Do you guys have any advice on how I could reduce vibration?
roll the dolly on a mat
>>
>>3886951
>>3886972
If digital stabilization can't fix the footage, then the dolly isn't usable. Stabilization isn't intended to make shaky footage rock solid, it's mostly there just to smooth out little wobbles so they aren't distracting.
I used to build stuff like this back before I could afford jack shit and found it was hardly ever worth the time and effort. I got smoother results out of weighing down a tripod on a rug and pulling it along than with any of the makeshift shit I tried contriving together. No shame in shit like that. If you get the shot, it doesn't matter how you do it.
>>
>>3886972
Lmfao this will never work. Hard wheels, no mass to speak of in the dolly or that bitch tripod, unless you are rolling it on an infinite frictionless plane it will bump and resonate like a violin at every speck of dust. The only thing these are good for is being able to unlock the wheels and quickly reposition your setup without carrying it.
>>
>>3887042
I will it on a carpet.
>>3887052
I figure that digital stabilization is not very performant. I will put some more weight on the base to try and tell.you how It goes.
>>
>>3886951
use a wheelchair
>>
>>3886972
3 wheel makeshift dolly is a pain in the ass to operate. At work we have a beefy 20kg tripod with big ass wheels and even that thing can slip to the side requiring to redo shots. It's very error prone.
>>
>>3886951
More weight on the trolley?
>>
>>3880966
this might be helpful to you. video is for the g7 and not gh85, but fairly close and should get you going in the right direction.
https://youtu.be/AURXtVMc3_k

tl;dw: basically panasonic mic inputs are fucking trash and have high impedence, so anything you plug directly into the mic, even when you lower the db several nothces below zero is still very noisy and hissy. you get yourself a -10db attenuation cable like the one in his video, and then you can route in any microphone you want through that cable plugged into any battery powered preamp. this basically gets you the freedom to record whatever quality audio you like (or at least massively improved audio) on the go without the need for an external recorder. but alternatively, an external recorder like the zoom h1 will do the same thing. you just need to worry about syncing in post.
>>
>>3887363
>>3887354
>>3887219
>>3887052
>>3887042
>>3886955
I made some tests and I figure that with more weight, the two wheels in the direction of the mouvment and a carpet the result is decent.

In the other hand I really dislike the effect of the digital stabilisation. Next step is putting some rubber squares between trolley and the wheels to reduce vibration a bit more.
>>
>>3886951
why is this so out of focus? why post that on a photography image board?
>>
>>3879650
If I call main compositions MAINCOMP in after effects, what should I rename main sequences in premiere?
>>
>>3887739
trash
>>
>>3887740
You mother is trash
>>
>>3887744
xD
>>
File: 1455049884149.jpg (85 KB, 1000x885)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>Nicely paid video editing job comes through
>Tight turnaround but nothing I can't handle
>Premiere is being SO FUCKING SLOW

I mean, I've got transitions, but they're just JPGs I'm playing with.
>>
>$1.2M sci-fi action indie film shot on location with natural light only and cheap lenses
Pretty impressive desu
https://youtu.be/8LomaTgwJ0w
>>
>>3882513
Can my film be a porno?
>>
>>3887820
Why spend 1.2mil, just use a bmpcc 4k and save a lot of money. Is the red really that much better? If it is low light,Sony kicks reds ass
>>
>>3887914
the fuck
>>
32bit float recording is fucking amazing.

How long until video gets the same incredible dynamic range?
>>
>>3888092
10-15 years
>>
>>3887924
wut?
>>
>>3888092
its called raw
>>
>>3888094
I won't live until then.

>>3888283
Raw video has like 120stops of dynamic range?
>>
>>3887820
story looks like rehashed indie action shit. I'm so tired of these being bankrolled. Watched 'skyline' last night. Soulless netflix fodder for dopamine dead NPCs. Where is the intellectual storylines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnoW5-DmIUM
>>
>>3888352
Story is paper thin, but that production value for that budget is seriously impressive.

The director did an interview with the guys from fxguide dot com and the interviewer was in shock half of the time.
>>
What are some of the best cameras for video? I heard the Lumix GH5 is pretty good. I currently have the Canon RP and I want to upgrade to something for video only. I'm looking at the GH5 and the Black Magic Pocket 4K.
>>
>>3888389
yeah this movie was ass, but it looked pretty nice. I had no idea they had such a restricted budget.
>>
File: mpc-hc64_vwxRbyIExk.jpg (210 KB, 2560x1440)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
canon 5dmk3 with the latest experimental magic lantern raw build gives you continuous 5.5k 14bit raw @ 2.35:1, literally the best deal on the market for a budget filmmaker right now, here's a screengrab

change my mind
>>
>>3888708
14bit? What the fuck. The sensor can't do 14bit, just the recording is in 14bit, right?
There's no way these old camera sensors can do that with a fucking firmware tweak.
>>
File: file.png (538 KB, 791x439)
538 KB
538 KB PNG
>>3888727

it's real. Bitrate is 110MB/s + so have some fast cards. Straight from ML forum / website
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23041.0

4K raw video recording; lossless compression
crop_rec module with higher resolutions (4K, 1080p48 etc):
5D3: Refined anamorphic presets so it now gives continuous:
1808x2300(2:35.1) = 5425 x 2300
1360x2300(16:9) = 4080 x 2300
>>
>>3888727
it can
it started with stills, a guy reversed the pipeline that encoded to the proprietary cr2 raws and managed to get 14 bit lossless dngs out of it instead
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18443.msg176809#msg176809
and the "raw hack" team took it from there to polish it up to video frame rates
>>
>>3888729
>>3888731
Does it work for the newer models? R5 etc? Or at least planned?
14bit is really impressive.
>>
>>3888736
maybe
they seem to make it harder with every generation though, none of the newer cameras has even anything experimental yet so don't get your hopes up
>>
File: file.png (3.64 MB, 2560x1348)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB PNG
>>3888736
nah, that's why 5dmk3 is the ultimate camera. It's about 500 USD used. I edited a video with both 5d3 raw and r5 8k 120fps video and ML raw is easier to grade and just looks way more cinematic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-phTXF-jquU

here's a quick rundown, it's for eos m but the MLV -> Davinci workflow is the same
>>
>>3888739
>>3888741
Looking at youtube, this has existed for many years? How the fuck have I missed this..
I've heard about the ML eons ago, but to see that they are still working on it and making these kind of leaps is amazing.

I'm definitely going to grab a 5d3 once I see one appear here.

How does canon themselves view ML?
By a business point of view, ML should be hired by canon to make these features official. Even though it's a voided warranty, just having that official public statement would boost rep and sales.
>>
>>3888743
>this has existed for many years?
yeah, but it only recently went really hard with the raw video shit, in the last 2 years or so
>How does canon themselves view ML?
they hate it, it fucks with their business model but like any jap company they politely ignore it and act like it doesn't exist
>By a business point of view, ML should be hired by canon to make these features official. Even though it's a voided warranty, just having that official public statement would boost rep and sales.
won't happen
just imagine someone like nintendo aknowledging emulator developers and hackers, that would be the most unjapanese thing ever
they fucking hate it when anyone touches their perfect plans and products
>>
>>3888744
Oh alright, that makes sense.
Is there an ML progress/blog page, or is mainly their forum?

I guess that ML is spanking the canon dev team pretty hard with firmware updates like 14bit, rightfully getting mad.
How come it's only canon that has these firmware hacks though?
>>
>>3888748
>How come it's only canon that has these firmware hacks though?
not really
many sony models have a lots of setting "unlocks" and some small quality of life things like the 30 min limit removed, check out openmemories for all kinds of sony hacks
and nikonhacks also did some stuff like noise reduction removal for astro photography and video bitrate unlocks
sure none of that is as famous as magiclantern, but it exists and seems to be active
>>
>>3888750
Well, ML is on a completely different level compared to those.
An A7siii with 14bit would ruin the market for example.
If any other company would have something of a opensource community it'd be blackmagic, no?
>>
>>3888708
How is the temperature on this recording in 14bit and 4k+?
>>
>>3888736
5D4 onwards doesn't work with Magic Lantern. They haven't been able to hack the newer models.
>>3888741
I wish it were 500USD used, maybe in beat up condition. Bought my 5D2 for about that money months ago, it's almost mint with some minor internal LED malfunctions.
>>
>>3888744
>they hate it, it fucks with their business model but like any jap company they politely ignore it and act like it doesn't exist
I'm not sure they hate it, it has made them insanely popular lol.
>>
How do you guys do audio? I have been shooting some wildlife video alongside photos now and was looking at stepping up my audio without doing foley.
There is a guy selling a zoom h5 with a bonus shotgun attachment for $380 near me. Was thinking about it if I could get it cheaper.
>>
>>3888708
there was a vid on the aliasing filter, and comparison of sharpness. so not all that glitters is gold. it's still impressive firmware.

https://www.canonwatch.com/eos-5d-mark-iii-hacked-anti-aliasing-filter-removed-more-sharpness/
>>
I'm going to do it
IM GOING TO SAY IT
I'm going to order a trashcan mkii off ebay
>>
Where do you guys get your LUTs?
>>
>>3889370
I right click a look in resolve and press generate lut
>>
All used 5diii are 700usd here. Beat up and way beyond the 150k shutter count.
I guess shutter count doesn't matter since it'd be a videocamera 90% of the time.
>>
>>3889470
depends
if the shutter fails it's good for neither stills nor video
>>
>>3889477
Well I suppose that's true. It get's stuck flipped down, right? Covering the sensor.
>>
>>3888708
not a single thing in focus. impressive
>>
>>3889617
you pretty much got no choice but using the lens wide fucking open, with any sort of sharpness in the picture the line skipping jaggedness is just too much
>>
>>3889625
might need to completely rethink your fucking equipment if that's the case.
>>
blah blah gear and techfaggotry
>>
>>3889668
post your short
>>
>>3889670
you're not my real dad
>>
>>3889674
nope just here to fuck your mom
>>
>>3889470
Ayy, got one with 30k counts for 750usd.
Time to brick it with ML.
>>
>>3880142
>aps-c lenses are not gonna have value because everything will be full frame
Are you buying a tool, or investing? Because there are better things to invest in.
APSC isn’t going anywhere. It’s been a standard in the movie business for decades, and full frame isnt right for everyone’s pocket, or wallet.

t. Full frame user that just bought a mft (yes, micro four thirds) camera.
>>
File: uh oh.jpg (31 KB, 366x366)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>3890791
uh ooohhh stinkyyyyyyyyy
>>
>>3890793
>E-mount
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>3890793
the mount isn't even big enough for the sensor, look at it
>>
>>3890793
Not sure where you’re going with this.
A camera too big and too expensive for most people kinda proves my point.
>>
File: 24fps-smallest.webm (1.78 MB, 1920x1080)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB WEBM
How the fuck do I get rid of this insane banding in the sky using libvpx? Shit's cray, and I have to crank the fucker up to like 12M bitrate to get rid of it with my current method:

[code]
ffmpeg.exe -framerate 24 -i "heregoes_exposure_layers_%4d.tif" -c:v libvpx -s 1920x1080 -crf 27 -b:v 12M -pix_fmt yuv420p -vf "pad=ceil(iw/2)*2:ceil(ih/2)*2" 24fps-smallest.webm[/code]
>>
>>3891012
Oh fuck you, leather man.
One line, for the autistic fucking website with no consistency:
ffmpeg.exe -framerate 24 -i "heregoes_exposure_layers_%4d.tif" -c:v libvpx -s 1920x1080 -crf 27 -b:v 12M -pix_fmt yuv420p -vf "pad=ceil(iw/2)*2:ceil(ih/2)*2" 24fps-smallest.webm
>>
>>3891012
crf27 seems rather high, I don't think I ever used more than 22
>>
>>3891014
Ah, I was being a dipshit and forgot about that parameter. CRF 4 and a much lower bitrate (5M) is about the same size with better quality.
Shit makes no fucking sense. Codecs have numerical autism.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jcUHx0qCuI
>>
>>3891305
No audio, no intro, no tripcode.
>>
>>3891316
No you! I'm collecting clips with the intention of fusing them together with a narrative.
>>
>>3879650
gonna shoot video on the pentax k-7. Am I fucking insane or is it alright?
>>
>>3891402
You might be insane, but you may be more insane to use a Pentax K-01 instead.
>>
>>3891405
Is the k-7 really that bad? It looks alright here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj0uO2s7OUc&t=1m45s and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cAf1_ypEbY I have no budget at all
>>
Do any of you edit on and for hdr monitors?
>>
Looking to get into video editing / production as a career. I have money and am decently smart/self-motivated. Can I skip film school and learn on my own? I really don’t want to go back to school...

Image Width383
Image Height300
>>
>>3892091
>Can I skip film school
yes
>and learn on my own?
no
you need to get a shit/unpaid job on a set and learn everything you can from the people there, if you do well you'll eventually find someone to boost you
>>
THANK YOU INTEL
>>
>>3892318
>no arriraw, r3d, cinemadng or even braw or prores raw
who cares
>>
>looking for camera monitors
>cheap chinkshit everywhere
>find smallhd 702
"Very nice."
>2000usd

Fuck right off.
>>
>>3892469
atomos shinobi 5 and 7 are where it's at
>>
>>3892473
That's an ok price.
I'd have to research as to why prices shoot up so high since I'm seeing similar features, even matching nits levels.
Desview r7p doesn't look too bad.
>>
>>3892478
yeah many of the chink shit ones aren't bad, I got a couple of SWIT for backup shit or if I need an extra one, but atomos/smallhd/tvlogic is the only thing I'd trust to survive on a daily basis
>>
File: IMG_20210531_202717_950.jpg (85 KB, 1280x960)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
My friend propose a canon a1 and fd 35mm f2 (not the ssc version) for 130€.'

Any experience with that lens for kino use?
>>
>>3892488
I used that lens like 8 years ago on an fs100
it's nice, the focus throw on most fd primes is pretty long and smooth and that one is just like that when in good condition
it flares quite a bit as in contrast goes to shit when direct light hits the front element and it isn't super sharp though, but it's neat
>>
>>3892488
Yes https://youtu.be/v8Il_l3tu6Q
also https://youtu.be/6sZahK56USE
>>
>>3892153
>and learn on my own?
>no
Think it depends on what type of video eiditing/production career. Like in the film industry? He probably would need some guidance if he wants to produce or become a cinematographer but if its just videography work, you should be able to self teach. Half of that shit is setting up a basic 3 point lighting set up
>>
File: once-640x360.jpg (34 KB, 640x360)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Which one is your favorite LUT?????????????
>>
>>3893163
The crutch ones
>>
>>3892508
That FD looses hard when it comes to video use. You could barely put a subject in one of the corners, it's practically unusable soft. It does have worse bokeh for low dof centre subject photography, though. Modern sharp lenses tend to loose hard in this department.
>>
>>3893163
pocket_4k_alexa_natural_skintone_rolloff_cinematic_dark02
It's from my lut pack, buy it and get a tonne more creative luts to get all the cinematic grades in your favorite software!
>>
>>3893197
I shoot with fds at f4 (effectively 2.8 with a speed booster) and they clean up really nice.
>>
This is how to tell if you have a good cinema camera.

https://youtu.be/c6Dhs5kssr0
>>
>>3893464
not wrong
>>
First proper video. Any crit is welcome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-s-LVIF_sY
>>
>>3893539
why is it so blurry
>>
>>3893544
I think I stoped down too much or missed focus.
>>
>>3888729
This still makes no sense to me.
>1360x2300(16:9) = 4080 x 2300
is this because of pixel binning? when do you stretch? in mlv_dump?
>>
File: Resolve.png (41 KB, 600x228)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
https://twitter.com/Blackmagic_News/status/1399938537525448708
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=142386
>>
>>3893805
Oh Blackmagic dude,

How do you get automatic updates to work in Linux? Resolve works in Linux, but when I try to check for updates, Resolve can’t connect to my internet even though my internet is working fine.
>>
> every s1h fags is switching to A7S III
UMMM LUMIX BROS ???????
but on a serious note tho
What's with all these >>youtuber and sony obession
>>
>>3893805
hey black magic dudes:
make a pan/zoom editor tool that is as fucking quick and dirty as vegas'. that's the only reason i deal with that buggy PoS over any other editing software.
>>
>>3894187
Wait.... what?
Why would you downgrade deliberately?
>>
>>3894264
it's just so you can make the
>why I switched to sony
and
>why I ditched sony
videos
youtubers don't use their shit for anything other than their basic ass review shots anyway
>>
>>3894187
Disclaimer: I don't own a sony camera and never have aside from a point and shoot a decade ago.
The a7siii is legitimately one of the best cameras on the market right now. Very few, if any, cameras can be said to be better without crossing over into cinema camera territory.
While I would argue that the canon r5, for example, is superior in certain regards - the whole negativity over the overheating issue makes it understandable that people would go for the sony instead.
The camera does everything that the dslr/mirrorless filmmaker needs in a camera. Full frame, 4k 120p 4:2:2 10 bit log, prores raw external, unbelievable low light performance.
Chuck in half decent autofocus and an ever-growing supply of decent native lenses and a lens mount that can adapt almost any lens and there are few, if any, downsides.
>>
>>3894264
Can you please explain in which ways the a7siii is a downgrade from an s1h?
>>
What does everybody here think of Boris FX Sapphire? It's as expensive as fuck. Is it worth it to get these effects? Is there any benefits to this software? The effects look so cool, but the software costs a fuckton of money.

Covid sucks monkey balls!

Camera SoftwareWindows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384
PhotographerMichael Israel
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2021:06:03 15:20:11
>>
>>3894326
>What does everybody here think of Boris FX Sapphire
deprecated shit with zero use
>>
>>3894331
I like the technicolor 2-strip and 3-strip looks, I found this https://resolver.tools/product/technicolor-style-3-strip-process-compound-node/ but it won't let me buy this look. Do you, or any other anons, know where I could get a reasonably priced technicolor OFX plug-in. I just want to play around with it and make meme, cat, and troll videos with it. I'm not looking for top-tier pro-level shit because the videos I'm making are going on JewTube and JewTube will fuck my video so quality is needed, but not something I'd need to pay a lot of money for yet. It's only going to be used as a toy for an autist, and nothing professional.
>>
How's the fan noise on Blackmagic's external recorders,have my eyes on the poverty spec 5" Video Assist?
>>
>>3894393
pretty silent, quieter than any actively cooled camera
>>
>>3894403
How they compare to the other option, Atomos?
>>
>>3894413
my shogun inferno is a bit louder I'd say, not as high pitched as the VA but overall louder, no idea of about the 5" atomos recorder though, the only one I have is a shinobi which is monitor only and therefore fanless
>>
>>3894351
Never mind I managed or view the page source and buy the $5 technicolor effect. Now I don’t need Boris FX Sapphire and I got a nice technicolor look for my meme and my troll videos.

Image Width500
Image Height554
>>
>>3894292
The S1H is a hybrid mirrorless but is so very well featured.
From the ergonomics that make it so very appealing as a videography tool to the V-Log profiles that make it very nice to colour grade, the thing that makes the S1H really appealing is support for both ProRes RAW and BRAW over an HDMI cable and even the likes of Timecode synchronisation and the like which can place it into a very professional multi-cam setup.
The S1H is a fully fledged cine camera in a hybrid body.

The S1H has the sorts of features that you'd tend to find on the likes of the Sony FX3 or even the FX6. The A7S cameras feel more like the way the Panasonic GH cameras do - very capable for video, but not quite something that could satisfy a movie production company.
>>
>>3894462
>The A7S cameras feel more like the way the Panasonic GH

A lousy comparison. Sony's are more in line with Canons. Ok output, but severely lacking in features. S1H is a step above GH's in output, but feature wise it's the same camera. As soon as you start using something else, you start appreciating what's given on Panasonics.
>>
>>3894290
it's probably also really good in low-light too, sony is great for run and gun filmmakers. Is its mount as adaptable as an MFT mount?
>>
>>3894462
That sounds like marketing bullshit while failing to actually answer the question with specific areas where the camera is better.
You wouldn't happen to be a fucking shill would you?
>>
>>3894675
The sony e mount, from what I understand, uses a very short flange distance between the lens and sensor. This means that basically any lens that covers the full area (ie full frame) can be adapted. The caveat is that the opposite is true for e mount lenses.
It's the inverse of canon's ef mount
>>
>>3894675
>>3894715
I just realise that I don't know how clear I made that.
Because of the short distance, pretty much any external lens can be fitted on an adapter for sony cameras. But this means that sony lenses need to be extremely close to the sensor so cannot easily be fitted onto non-sony cameras. Someone who has more experience with the system can elaborate further
>>
>>3894290
>The a7siii is legitimately one of the best cameras on the market right now
yes if you like the famous sony green tinge, and spending all your time on post correcting literally every single video clip for it.
>>
>>3894728
couldn't you just use a lut or the color space transform in resolve to fix it ... why do you need to do it manually ...
>>
File: 1621801475226.jpg (25 KB, 420x420)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>3894187
There's only one explanation. Sony is outright bribing youtoubers.
>>
>>3895028
JewTubers will do anything, say anything, for free gear.
>>
>>3894713
No, I don't even own a Panasonic. I shoot Olympus.
>>
>>3895028
THIS
I know some fags from my country legitimately got paid by Sony to shill for them on Facebook groups and Instagram
>>
How do I precisely nail MF on my GH4 ? I swear it was easier on a film camera
>>
>>3895636
use measuring tape and practice
>>
>>3879650

Jill Bogdanowicz (a senior colorist at company 3) and a bunch of other colorists are teaching a class on how colorist can get the most out of resolve. The class is on zoom and costs less than $100. If anybody is interested in learning color techniques from Jill Bogdanowicz go to:

https://www.tacresolvetraining.com/event-details/learn-with-masters
>>
>>3895636
does it have focus peaking? If not use magnification
>>
>record handheld
>both hands on camera, tight on my eye
>both hands on camera, neckstrap extended
>still shaky as fuck making the footage worthless

I have to get a fucking new body with ibis, don't I.
Feels dumb as fuck getting a gimbal just to get stable handheld footage.
>>
>>3896489
>gimbal
>handheld footage
"no"
If you want 'handheld', get a shoulder mount. A flycam will probably work as well depending on how you handle it
>>
>>3895033
>I shoot olympus
>I just happen to write paragraphs of fluff, about a camera I don't own or shoot with, as a way of avoiding answering the question asked
doubt.jpg
>>
>>3896500
>shoulder mount
based. gimbals are the worst meme in modern video
>>
>>3896503
Don't get me wrong, I think gimbals are great for certain things. Just not for getting handheld-looking footage. They're basically a low budget steadicam
>>
>>3896500
Shouldermount is purely standing pov and doesn't have the handheld motion.
>>
>>3896505
Handheld would be better for 90% of what people use gimbals for. I'm so tired of seeing jerky robotic reframes as a gimbal struggles to keep up with a moving subject. Also they make it so everyone just keeps the camera moving 24/7 for no reason instead of just composing a damn shot. Not saying they can't be used well, but they are definitely a crutch for a lot of people
>>
can someone tell me some lights i should buy if i wanna get into kino making?
>>
>>3896923
A bunch of Panauras, M18s, S30 and S60 as the basics, Dedos, Jokers and jolekos for detail work, Arrimax and 12 head brutes for bigger scenes
>>
>>3897026
I meant cheap shit to make an interesting short film not industrial level stuff to film for Netflix
>>
>>3897056
>interesting short film
leave it to your gaffer to get what he needs from the rental place
>>
>>3896923
I got a used Mini-Mole kit off of eBay for dirt cheap. Tungsten fresnels are kino if you have access to power
>>
>>3879734
I don't understand this. my setup
>resolve media project
>4k h.264 best settings
>1 min clip
>i7-870 (2013) rx5500xt 16gb ram
>5 min render
>>
>>3897192
Shitfuck adobe that messed something up with an update.
Downgraded a version and now the rendertimes are good.
>>
>>3897223
Ok. I was freaking out, because I want to upgrade my rig.
>>
>>3897303
Adobe products are shit at performance.
Media Encoder renders are only using like 8-14% of my cpu.
>>
>>3897372
>what is gpu bottleneck
>>
>>3897412
Is the 3090 really a bottleneck?
>>
>>3888575
i assume the budget's under 2000, if you want a hybrid to take photos with too, fuji x-t3
if you want just video, probably mpcc4k
>>
File: A001_02092118_C023_000002.jpg (1.43 MB, 4128x2176)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
I graded some old cinema dng footage I recorded on my bmpcc 4k a few years back because I am stuck at home because of covid and have nothing better to do. what do you think of my grade?

https://youtu.be/iPv2HtyhwyU

Pic Related: one dng image from my video converted to a jpeg image
>>
>>3898109
Here is another version of my grade:

https://youtu.be/DwjZYZ5jCDk
>>
was anyone here recording the davinci free training meetings? missed todays
>>
>>3898109
This one is way better imo, looks more natural
>>
>>3898109
Thumbnail looks graded, opening the file looks ungraded??
>>
>>3898221
The first one was normal grade; the second one was a bleach bypass look
>>
>>3898296
>normal
extreme purple tint with painted on orange skin
>bleach bypass
just no, what the fuck are you doing
your monitor must be broken
>>
Why is SDI so rare on consumer cameras? HDMI is fragile as fuck and broken connector basically means the camera is scrapped. And don't even get started on cable clamps and stuff, they are just band-aid.
>>
>>3898109
i remember when you posted this before
>>
I'm unsure how to edit high dynamic range video, not HDR format, just keeping shadows and highlights intact.
I reach this point where both look good, but overall it's just dark. Increasing overall brightness obviously blows the highlights and I can't seem to recover them further. How do I continue, or am I exposing incorrectly?
Snapshit: https://streamable.com/sg1bdn

>>
>>3898437
hdr tab in resolve
it's basically an even easier shadow/midtone/highlight split with 6 customizable ranges from black to white
use it to keep your black and white points in check, then the next ones in to get some contrast and detail in the outer areas and then the middle ones to get good skin/midtone exposure
super easy stuff with zero need for keyers, layer mixers or exposure blending and all that shit
>>
>>3898437
Slightly overexpose the shot. You can get away with a little clipping in the clouds on video. It'll give you more detail in the shadows. Or just wait for sun to go down, you get harsh unavoidable shadows during the day on the trees otherwise.
>>
>>3898468
Wow, that's pretty hilarious how better Resolve was at this than AE/Premiere Pro.
Fuck, going to have to learn all this new UI and keybinds now.

>>3898500
I've overexposed slightly for f-log, but now that I'm trying raw it's a whole new world. my 2021 is saved.

>>
>>3898503
>hilarious how much better color grading software is at color grading than a shitty editor/vfx program held together with a bunch tape
well
>>
>>3879796
good luck getting one
>>
File: Untitled3.webm (2.89 MB, 1920x1080)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB WEBM
>>3898437
14bit is really blowing my mind. Learning magic lantern and davinci at the same time is a breath of life into this hobby.
>>
Hi good day, heres a video edited from archive.org
psa footage I found, made a little narrative out of it
Hired a fiver voice Frenchman.
Turned out pretty newwave

https://youtu.be/rqG4w3maSa0

Going to do a short film next, what camera should I use
550D t2i with magic lantern or should I take out a contract for a iphone 12 mini with filmic pro. You decide
Ill post it here when its done, I have no audience anyway.
>>
>>3898390
Just obtain a BGH-1 lol
>>
I'm trying to make one 256 gb SD card last an entire wedding.
I usually shoot HLG with the X-T3 in Long GOP.
If I shoot with the smallest bitrate option of 50 mbps will that affect the quality of my footage in a noticeable way?
>>
>>3898921
yes
>>
I have a... question that relates not to gear directly.

Do any of you do videography for work?
I mean work, like a regular scheduled job, not like... getting ad money from YouTube or anything.
I've been going through a job search lately (one that's ended with a job offer in a financial sector) and through my time going through job adverts, I've seen a good few job listings for a "content creator", "videographer", "video creator", "video assistant" etc. and as a hobbyist photographer, who has dabbled in some video here and there, I read the job descriptions and I looked into the details of what's demanded.
Everything they ask for is... a hell of a wishlist... a higher education degree (bachelors) in videography, film studies, media studies or similar, between 1-3 years of """experience""" in a videography/cinematography/television environment, """proficiency""" in Final Cut Pro and/or Adobe Premiere. And uh... that's mostly it?
All these people claim to "shortlist based on minimum requirements" and only one or two places seem to even ask for a demo roll of work and/or portfolio.
At least one location wanted ""'evidence"'" of social media engagement.
So... who are these supposed videographers who can present a degree from a college or university, and """experience""" in video?

It seems to me that almost everyone that isn't in television or cinema is little more than an amateur.
>>
>>3899439
>Do any of you do videography for work?
i do production end of a youtube company but most of my job is editing. like 90% or better.

>I mean work, like a regular scheduled job, not like... getting ad money from YouTube or anything.
the company, like several youtube companies with their head out of their ass, are pursuing more than ad revenue. ad revenue, by the way, is the driving force behind television, so I wouldn't snub it. Direct parterships are where it's at. You'd be amazed how much "review" content is effectively advertising itself.

>All these people claim to "shortlist based on minimum requirements" and only one or two places seem to even ask for a demo roll of work and/or portfolio.
i work for this company as a full time employee, but it sounds like these postings are looking to make video to video contracts with editors, which is where I'm hoping to shift toward down the road unless I decide to switch gears and try to go traditional media union route

>At least one location wanted ""'evidence"'" of social media engagement.
sub count? view count? i've bragged about a 1mil+ view count to help get a gig before

>So... who are these supposed videographers who can present a degree from a college or university, and """experience""" in video?
people with degrees and a reel

>It seems to me that almost everyone that isn't in television or cinema is little more than an amateur.
I was hired with another guy who fit this description and was fired. There's plenty of young kids who want to do this because they made skate videos as a kid, but have no real desire to build a career. I suspect there's a lot of this because senior and successful editors (and probably videographers) don't even go look for work in a job posting, their network is strong enough that they're likely turning down 2 gig offers for every 1 they take.
>>
>>3899439
I don't. But I do do independent video work full time.
I see those jobs posted a lot. They (mostly) aren't very appealing to me. Maybe it's because I don't have the time to do them, or maybe it's because the thought of doing 9-5 office work is so depressing that it's one of the reasons I chose this industry, but all of those jobs look severely underpaid and like they require huge amounts of your time.
>>
>>3899521
>people with degrees and a reel
How common is that, though?
I knew people in university who took film studies degrees, and I couldn't imagine them going on to videography or the like. They just weren't really the sort of person who would even be technically minded.
I took 2 modules that were involved with film studies, and were probably far more relevant to my actual major than they were to film. The entirety of the assessment came from an essay and a presentation on a subject related to what themes were covered in the module.
>made skate videos as a kid
>no real desire to build a career
In my context, I just knew I could do about 80% of that the job description entailed, I just didn't have the credentials.
I just find it bizarre that when looking at this as a career path, some of the most famous people in videography or cinematography either had no or minimal professional training or academic education in the field.
But at the end of the day, I have 0 networking. Like 0, not even in the field of study I actually have a degree in. I know how important it can be for careers, but I was ever able to establish anything, and I can only really blame that on the living circumstances I am in, because lack of networking also really hurt my parent's career prospects too.
>>3899648
Independent video work is the sort of stuff that I'd be not keen on at all.
There's some types of video work that do appeal to me as a kind of "helping people" aspect, but because live music performances are returning, I have a feeling that this kind of video work *will* come to an end.
I'll settle with a 9-5 office job, mostly because I might actually be able to use my field of study for something, and the fact that it's financial security - having an income at least means the future isn't as anxiety inducing.
>>
I don't know whether to post this here or in /fgt/, but -> Is it possible to develop your own 8/16mm film at home at a reasonable cost? If so, what is a good and reasonably cheap camera that I could dip into to give it a shot? Thanks.
>>
>>3899683
whether you need a degree depends on the job you're looking for. I'd say within the industry there's more interest on your experience, ability to deliver, and likability. I notice bigger corporate jobs like an internal commercial team want that degree, but I don't really know why. It could just be that a BA is like a high school diploma now for most other jobs.
>I just knew I could do about 80% of that the job description entailed
that'd mean you practically know more than me and I've been working in various production roles for 6 years. There is always new gear or techniques.

>>3899683
>I'll settle with a 9-5 office job, mostly because I might actually be able to use my field of study for something, and the fact that it's financial security - having an income at least means the future isn't as anxiety inducing.
Not for everyone at all. I wouldn't do it unless you have to.
>>
>>3899814
>you practically know more than me
Most of the job description involves:
Meeting with the marketing executive to discuss the brief
Being able to meet the brief of the task
Actually video whatever needs to be videoed
Editing the video in software
And that's basically fucking it.
Following the brief mostly means that you don't need to think too much about what you're doing, but rather just execute the task to the best of your ability.
Most of the actual videoing involves familiarity with the setting, setting the camera up right for the exposure, understanding what lens to use for the situation, adjusting your audio for the right levels and just pulling focus, either with the help of a distance scale, or with help of focus peaking.
Unless you're a broadcast camera operator doing live sports, actually just pointing the camera in the right direction and keeping it in focus isn't too hard.

The last bit of the job description is where I basically fall apart - I only have experience with Magix Vegas as video editing software. Unironically, a lot of my familiarity with video editing started with, honest to god, Windows Movie Maker in the late 2000s - it's surprising how the overall interface of video editing software is just so similar with the timeline, preview and so on.
Most places want your experience to be with Final Cut Pro, which is Mac exclusive software. Some places accept familiarity with the likes of Adobe Premiere or Aftereffects. But not a single place lists Avid or even Davinci Resolve, let alone Vegas (which used to be "industry standard?").
Most of this isn't actually all that hard, but the thing is more about core familiarity with software that makes use of specific features - whether it's colour grading or some fancy transitions.

I'll just accept doing an office job and keep photography and some videography as just a hobby. But I do find it strange how so much stuff can be self-taught with free online tutorials.
>>
>>3899836
>Actually video whatever needs to be videoed
>Editing the video in software
that simple!
>Following the brief mostly means that you don't need to think too much about what you're doing, but rather just execute the task to the best of your ability.
you will have found gold if you find a marketing exec that knows what they want and lays out real guidelines for you to deliver that will ultimately please them
>familiarity with the setting, setting the camera up right for the exposure, understanding what lens to use for the situation, adjusting your audio for the right levels and just pulling focus, either with the help of a distance scale, or with help of focus peaking.
if its for internal use only that should be fine. it's not hard to read the book on color correction or codecs if its for broader use. my only issue with the former is not making a median wage.
>>
>>3899902
>that simple!
I mean, the job descriptions don't state anything I don't understand. That's kind of what makes me think that 80% of the job could easily be done by a decent amateur.
It's the requirement of a higher education degree and years of experience in the sector that confuse me.
Do you expect someone who worked on a set/production of a television drama to really be interested in a videography position? I know HBO had made some TV series in the area, but I don't think some marketing company, department store or university is really expecting someone to go from an HBO set to... that...
>a marketing exec that knows what they want
One position was a "content creator" that included videography, photography, graphic design and Tik Tok/Instagram Stories work all in one position.
My guess seems to have been that the exec probably wanted someone with the initiative to do the marketing chief's job for them...
Most other positions speak more concisely of briefs though, so... yeah... I understand that sometimes you'll have to do the marketing exec's job for them, because they'll be some hack fraud.
>internal use
>broader use
Only one position outright explained what the content would be used for, exactly. The "content creator" position basically wanted a wannabe influencer who was also a skilled videographer and fashion photographer to make videos, posters, flyers and other promos for social media campaigns. In addition to this, making Tik Tok and Instagram videos for the purposes of.... uh... attracting teenagers to the shopping mall?
Idk, seemed like a kind of a bullshit job listing given how many fucking things they wanted out of the prospective applicant.
>>
>>3899905
getting underpaid to do multiple jobs is pretty common now
>>
>>3898503
I had no idea the devs for ML were of the purest form of weaponized autism.
Trying to understand all of the features and getting them to work is a pain. The secrets of it seem to be held back by the guys making these experimental builds, doesn't want to make a guide of how to use it.

Just figuring out how to use the 1x3 binning with dual iso to get rid of the vertical lines for these hdr scenes. Think they get more visible the more the image is underexposed, drawing out the shadows in pp.

Focusing is near impossible, suppose I have to boot without ML to zoom and focus.

Any ML wizards around?

>>3898558
With the hobby-level stuff I've been doing, AE was working for me, but resolve has blown my mind.

>>
I think I came up with a really good idea about a character.

What's the next step I should take?
>>
>>3900566
write a story
>>
>>3900566
write treatment>write script>make movie
>>
>>3900569
>>3900570
I have the rough sketch of the story in my mind. I have no confidence in me to write the script. But I am going to do it for vanity's sake.

Any important tips that I should keep in mind?
>>
>>3900578
bang out a shitty first draft and then just revise it. You will feel a lot less pressure. Also if you are planning on making it yourself write around locations you have access to.
>>
What are the best settings for time lapse driving? Not concerned about capturing the whole trip, just want to know what settings y'all use for intervals.
>>
>>3900841
I don't know about driving specifically, but if you follow the 180 degree shutter rule the motion will look the most natural. 1/2x(time between image captures) I imagine this will look especially kino at night. Also you'll probably need NDs for daytime
>>
>>3900570
I would have said
>write a story > write a treatment >make movie
>>
>>3900578
Make someone better than you read your scenario. It helps me a lot.
Also write the story you want to make not the one you could make. And then adapt to your budget. Avoid dialogue. Be visual.
>>
File: canon-r6-innesto.jpg (1.06 MB, 1920x1350)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
So, I just found out that the Canon R6 doesn't shoot RAW video and there doesn't seem to be any Magic Lantern support (as far as I know).

Is there any way to shoot RAW video? Would something like an Atomos Ninja-V make me able to do it?
Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm no expert im the matter.
>>
>>3901271
Are you actually this stupid? I don't mean to sound harsh, but who the fuck drops over $2k on a camera without researching to make sure it does what they want?
I mean you're somewhat in luck since raw video is largely an overrated meme and a waste of space. The r6 gives you 10 bit log 422 oversampled 4k which is definitely more than you need. But you still need a ninja since, as you didn't know it doesn't shoot raw, you're probably unaware of the camera's overheating issues.
>>
>>3901280
Who told you I already bought it? I'm still doing my research, that's why I'm asking here.

I'm informed about the overheating issue, but that's what seems like a meme to me. I haven't tested it personally yet, but most of the tests I saw were not made in actual real-life conditions and were intended to be extreme: I mean, who's going to shoot a continuous 30mins clip under the sun and with no ventilation whatsoever?

I guess you're right though, that camera offers way more than I need, expecially considerimg the fact that I'm mostly going to shoot photos.
>>
>>3901271
Magic lantern support ended with first eos m. A few of the later ef-m cams have rudimental support, but Canon closed all the firmware gaps completely. Since, you're obviously pretty clueless, just stick with log, I'm sure that raw would give you nothing over it.
>>
>>3901286
>that's what seems like a meme to me. I haven't tested it personally yet, but most of the tests I saw were not made in actual real-life conditions and were intended to be extreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt7ZbvqWfdY
This was from before the firmware update to be clear. But from this video, I would never use the camera for video work without an external recorder or compelling evidence that the firmware sufficiently solved the issue.
>>
>>3901290
So would an external recorder like the Ninja solve the issue? I know that it has a lot of other benefits, but would it actually permit me to shoot 4k/60p for at least ~40mins without overheating?

I'm searching online and the answers all seem like a mixed bag, they are pretty contradictory.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEK9kSHmdgo
how does this guy's video look so smooth? Is he using a gimbal? Stabilization software? Both?
>>
>>3901444
looks like bog standard gimbal work.
>>
>>3901444
gimbal with a bit of post stabilization in some shots, you can see the parallax shift from the steps in almost all shots
>>
>>3901444
Long lineage of ninjas has increased his ninja walk/run. Also check high contrast areas and you will see pp stabilization.
>>
>>3901325
Even before the update, people using an external recorder consistently said that the camera was great for video work.
You should be good
>>
>>3901325
>~40mins without overheating?
This question reminds me of how you can blow all kinds of money on a hybrid, but you can still have problems recording something continuous like a kid's ballet, music concert, church service or soccer game without extra gear. Meanwhile, some boomer buys an average camcorder, sets it on a tripod way in back and forgets it. Different tools for different jobs I guess.
>>
>>3901271
Just make quality videos. Professional stuff is made all the time OOC. But here's what you are going to do, you are going to obsess over raw, buy another camera, record 10 mins, play around with grading, and never make a story or a project. Finish your project.
>>
>>3901286
get the eos M and play with that raw
>>
>>3901462
looks like a drone to me
>>
>>3901325
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iadA-_ZBRwk
This compares new firmware with old firmware. You'll probably be fine, but I'd buy an external recorder like a ninja anyway just in case.
>>
>>3901588
You can even see the shadow of the camera and the person holding it. Why the fuck would you think it's a drone?
>>
>>3901444
Gimbal, no ibis cam, then a wheelchair or something like that. Possibly rails on some shots. Most of it is too smooth for walking and digital stabilization alone.
>>
>>3901583
this
>>
>>3888352
>Where is the intellectual storylines?
cringe
>>
What are the current /vid/ approved, fanless cameras that can shoot S35-sized 4K infinitely without overheating? Pseudo-RAW not necessary but DSLR body shape preferred.
>>
>>3903267
iphone 5s
>>
>>3903267
Not forever but xt3/4 can do like an hour
Otherwise there's the bmpcc4k with a speedbooster

Alternatively you can wait for Sony's upcoming high end a1-lite apsc camera
>>
>>3903267
>fanless
>s35 sensor
>4k infinite recording

You're describing a camera that doesn't exist
>>
>>3903343
>bmpcc4k
not fanless
>>
>>3903267
buy my lut pack
>>
>>3903343
>but xt3/4 can do like an hour
lol
>>
>>3903267
sigma fp, then gh5/gh5s, obviously. xt4 is pretty good after the latest patch. 1h+ to unlimited in some situation.
>>
>>3903493
>sigma fp,
Full frame and generally shit
>gh5/gh5s, obviously
Mft, obviously
>xt4
Awful overheating problem.
Why are you giving advice when you're clearly retarded?
>>
>>3903497
>Awful overheating problem.
It was completely fixed in the latest update.
>Mft, obviously
There's absolutely nothing wrong with mft cameras.
>Full frame and generally shit
Nice argument.

Why the hysterics when you don't know the facts?
>>
>>3903512
>guy asks for s35 4k
>"hurr"
Jesus christ, stop being so fucking retarded please
>>
>>3903516
Stop being hysterical confrontationist. He's demanding something that does not exist, he's getting good advices.
>>
>>3903333
>>3903343
>>3903353
>>3903357
>>3903493
Thanks for suggestions, forgot to say that speedboosted m43's or cropped FF's are fine.

GH5 and Sigma fp were also on my shortlist, they should be able to go on for hours and hours? I'm not looking the best possible image quality, just general reliability, robustness and non-quirkiness like overheating or 50ms rolling shutter.
>>
Did I fuck up buying an a7III?
Too poor for the S3 and the Canon R series is gimped as fuck.

I also need stills capability.
>>
How good is the Z Log picture profile that you can buy for the older Nikon cameras?
>>
>>3903737
pure meme
the dynamic range is still restricted to what the 'onboard profile processing' can put out, it doesn't work with the full sensor data no matter what so it's just a needlessly flatter version of the same truncated latitude
>>
I feel the need for a follow focus.
But being forced to have the focus wheel at the same spot as the lens focus ring still leaves you not supporting the rig with the focusing hand.
Wireless follow focus solves that, but then you are restrained by batterylife.

What do?
>>
>>3903801
>I feel the need for a follow focus.
why
>>
>>3903764
Would technical rec 709 conversion luts to the color space transform ofx plugin in Resolve work with it? Or is it just a toy for autists that doesn’t do jack shit…
>>
>>3903802
Because of the amount some lenses need to focus, huge throw. Also fucking sucks to get smooth focus transitions when handheld.
If I was holding my rig with two handles on each side, being able to do a circle motion with my thumb to focus would be amazing.
>>
>>3903764
https://nofilmschool.com/Nikon-Z-LOG-Recording

This is what I’m thinking of using with my d7200 to play around with grading log footage in Resolve. How good is it?
>>
>>3903806
there's no cst for it
the luts that come with it are shit
>>3903809
yes, it's useless
>>
>>3903807
>being able to do a circle motion with my thumb to focus would be amazing.
no focus ring is that easy to move, let alone through a mechanical follow focus
electronic is the only chance for you
look into the nucleus m motor and 'handle' controller, it's a pretty nice solution for handheld single operator stuff, pretty much a shitty clone of the arri master grips
>>
What are some ways other than a gimbal to stabilize my video? I shot some video of a concert and a football camp and I notice some of my footage was pretty shaky. My lenses have stabilization but unfortunately my Canon RP doesn't have in body stabilization. I'm thinking on getting a cage or a monopod to help keep my camera steady. Something I thought was useful was keeping the neck strap tight/creating tension with it.
>>
>>3903994
Easiest way is a tripod. Even a cheap one will do the job of stabilisation, but ball heads are bad for panning and stuff.
A monopod is fine, but you will need a video monopod, which will have 3 feet at the base. Photography monopods are only really meant to bear the weight of a heavy telephoto.
Cages are kinda pointless unless you plan to use a video tripod or attach things like monitors/external recorders and SSDs.
You will need IBIS and/or crop stabilisation to shoot stable without a gimbal. Though, one option is to use some kind of kind of counter-weight thing a bit like a steadycam rig. But that comes with its own limitations.
>>
>>3903994
Post stabilization. Resolve, Premiere... It's cpu intensive, and it crops your output a little, but you can get pretty good results out of it.
https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/tips-stabilizing-shot-post-production/
>>
is there a term similar to "full stack developer" but for video? Like someone who can direct, operate a camera, and edit?
>>
>>3904074
"one man band"
>>
Before I attempt to google this, expecting 27page essays of autism explaining the whole thing, I'll ask here.
Does wireless transmitters/receivers reduce the bandwidth in 32bit float recording in audio?

If I were to take a rode wireless go set, hook them up to my f6 and standalone batterypowered mic, would it be full 32bit float still?
>>
>>3904258
of course it would be 32 bit float because that's what the recorder writes into the file, it doesn't give a fuck about the signal coming in
most wireless systems, especially the cheap ones have such small dynamic range as in such high noise floor that you might as well record in 24 bit integer (or less) because anything else is a waste of space
>>
>>3904275
Right, so the 1s and 0s still end up in 32bit.
I don't want to use the mics on the rode go, simply use as a wireless transmitter/receiver to my actual mic.
Is the input on the transmitter the limiting factor? Or am I overthinking it?
>>
>>3904074
We called them directors back in the day
>>
File: ab (2).jpg (75 KB, 630x503)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
help: what do I need to accompany a g85 if I'm going to be doing local commercials and set interviews? On my list I have lights (IVISII G2), VideoMic NTG, LAV mics, external audio recorder, a cage, manfrotto befree tripod.... what else? This is for a rural area so I don't need Bob Lazar tier gear here.
>>
>>3904313
>Is the input on the transmitter the limiting factor?
not really, they state that the 'preamp' part of the transmitter has a dynamic range up to 100dB, which is already pretty low
but since they go out of their way to specify that this dynamic range is only for the input side you can count on the fact that the transmission itself is the true bottleneck and brings down the dynamic range even more, probably along with a gate that throws away half the signal you'd record in 32 bit
>Or am I overthinking it?
yep
just set it the zoom to 24 bit and gain it once properly the old fashioned way, since you have to then gain the transmitter per shot anyway to get it as hot as possible to get as much dynamic through as possible, huge bummer that the go only has 3 gain presets, what a piece of shit
>>
>>3904460
>set interviews
a second camera angle is a must
>>
>>3904506
will a current gen smartphone suffice? serious question.
>>
>>3904508
most likely not
>>
File: fu-012.gif (979 KB, 400x316)
979 KB
979 KB GIF
>>3904514
>>
Daily log : 20th June 2021

Preparing for shoot in July. Been putting off doing the storyboard for 2 weeks now. Decided to finally get down to it. Low light shooting. Planning on using key light and a soft light for shadows. Short 10 minute horror film. Sound will mostly be done in post
>>
>>3904690
ngmi
>>
>>3904725
I need help stopping procrastination. Covid has been really bad for me, I easily wasted 4 hours today on stupid mindless shit when I could’ve been working. But Ive finished most of the storyboard.
I just want to get better
>>
>>3904725
>>3904864

Any advice given on how to make it I will follow religiously.
What advice would you give to someone like me with zoomed brain
>>
>>3904866
>What advice would you give to someone like me with zoomed brain
set deadlines, work with other people
find someone, anyone to help you with the shooting days
someone to record audio, someone to light, someone to double check your storyboard and shotlists and help with continuity, and so on
they might all be as bad as you, but it doesn't matter. they'll help, they'll maybe have some sort of equipment and someone eventually bring in a good idea or two that will make the whole thing way better
but the most important part is that you'll have a whole bunch of people that aren't just actors willing to show up on the shooting dates, that will help you get the storyboard done, all the details planned out and your mind focussed on the upcoming shoot like nothing else
>>
>>3904868
I have deadlines. We’re going into pre production and set design July 1 - July 7.
Shooting on 8th and 9th

I have 3 AD’s under me although I’m yet to delegate work. Ill get one of the AD’s to do foley work since there’s almost no dialogue in the film. I’m sending the storyboard lard to the DOP now. We’re going to make a lighting plan and make a guy focus on that day of shoot.
I need somebody for shot list and continuity.

Maybe I’m being a little too self critical. I just need to get my shit in order and have an absolute idea of what I have to execute on the day
>>
>>3904869
I’m also scared because it’s a horror film and horror is one of those things where if the details are not executed perfectly it looks like shit.
>>
>>3904869
sounds good, mate
it will work out fine, just keep your group tight and everyone involved
>>
File: twc.jpg (72 KB, 736x753)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
WTF?! Panasonic just gave me raw for free!
>>
>>3905131
absolutely free if you already have the $599+ ninja v
>>
>>3905131
>sony already did this (for free)
>canon and blackmagic provide compressed raw internally
Why would anyone give a shit?
>>
Bump limit reached... a while ago...
new thread
>>3905152
>>3905152
>>
>>3890968
There's a shadow right on the sensor

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.