[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 52 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: landscape-540115_1280.jpg (445 KB, 1280x853)
445 KB
445 KB JPG
what genre of photography is devoid of any effort and why is it landscape?
>>
>>3876309
>literally have to walk for miles early in the morning
>street photography is just pressing button and adding a B&W filter

gee OP I dunno...
>>
>>3876309
Waking up in the night to catch juicy sunrise, walk for kilometers, sometimes climbing many hours, frequently you come back without a photo because weather was shit, carrying camera+lenses+tripod+filters. Even if you manage to snap great capture, people will still be more impressed by shotgunned photo of weird people walking on the street. No effort whatsoever, sure.
>>
>>3876309
>>3876310
>>3876321
If the whole effort is to get there and set up the camera to maybe produce a mediocre photo, I don't know man
>>
File: 1617100716390.png (2.35 MB, 1920x1080)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB PNG
>>3876309
>>3876321
I think a lot of people's gripe with landscape photography is that there's barely any creativity. Of course effort is involved, but most photographers just shoot the same fucking flickr boomer views and don't explore outside of hiking trails that get visited by thousands of people a year.
>>
File: no-photo.png (53 KB, 281x369)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>3876309
>what genre of photography is devoid of any effort and why is it nophoto?
FTFY
>>
>>3876330

you implying God is not creative nigga?
>>
>>3876324
>>3876330
Based
It the most overrated and lowest quality genre. New Topographics shitted on these pathetic cunts but these delusional retards are still pursuing it with same mindset.
>>
>>3876363
you say that because you never go out. You don't know what its like to have a whole mountain to yourself. You haven't tried exploring anything new to you.

Whatever you think about landscape photography, know that you are not superior just because you sit on your ass all day.
>>
File: zakopane2020-38.jpg (4.32 MB, 3648x3648)
4.32 MB
4.32 MB JPG
>>3876365
idk why the pic didn't upload w the comment

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 8.4.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2020:08:01 06:59:14
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating160
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias1/3 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length40.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3876366
It's literally the ground but tilted 45 degrees
>>
>>3876365
Nice projection
I got into photography through landscape with same old shitty mindset of not capturing the humanistic intervention in the landscape. The final result was soulless yearly calendar type images. Then I camped on the mountains and finally discovered that grass is always greener on the other side. And landscape was no different than the place I was living. Places are inherently empty and if my soul can't give it to me on walk my night walk in my town then there is nothing that northern alps can give me. Life isn't about going to epic places and running after epic moment in the search of peace and happiness. If you do this then you are doomed to disappointment. If you are not careful then after completion everything gets boring very quick. As I am growing up I am trying to make peace with whatever little beauty I can find within the concrete jungles and within myself. I longer dream for wild places which will make me happy.

I would say that Summer Nights, Walking by Robert Adams is one of the greatest landscape work ever produced.
>>
>>3876330
this, landscape photography is the lowest tier photography, and i say that as a published landscape photographer
>>
Very surprised nophotos grasp at candid street without composing than actual landscape that needs effort and actual framing.
The problem is the standards and the photographers in the field, landscape requires at least a copycat basic framing while street requires nothing at all.
>>
>>3876381
>dull landscape requires at least a copycat basic framing while bad street requires nothing at all
Fixed it
>>
>>3876387
I can buy that, good landscape requires creativity and composition, good "real" street requires the same but good "modern" street requires luck only because it depends on a random subject's aesthetics rather than inherent values of the photographer's vision.
>>
>>3876388
To be fair, a lot of landscape also relies heavily on the aesthetics of the subject. Making an interesting photo out of it is where the photographer's vision comes in. Think about it: all types of photography have the same few basic photos. Landscape has the stonnen vista, street has the old person or guy in mid-stride, "new topography" has the building corner or window and door shot. All newbie photographers to these genres will likely take some (or many) variations on the same subject or basic idea, because those are the most accessible as both a viewer and a producer. It takes effort to go beyond that and create something original, i.e., develop your personal vision
>>
>>3876309

I always find that the generic landscape photography always lacks a subject to anchor the whole image. Ansel Adams shots always feature some sort of large rock to bring everything together while Eliots Porters photos are lush and dense and would usually focus on a specific species of plant of animal.

With that in mind I think when people who shot landscapes only try capture the beauty of the place rather than why it's beautiful, you'll with calenderesque quality photos.
>>
>>3876309
>what genre of photography is devoid of any effort and why is it landscape?
Tell me you've never successfully taken a decent landscape photo without telling me you've never successfully taken a decent landscape photo.
>>
>>3876363
>appeal to authority
>>
>>3876438
Not authority but reformers.
>>
>>3876372
youre going to the wrong places. You going to those places is part of the problem
>>
>>3876309
Its good if you don’t live in a big city and have zero connection to any other creatives or artists.
>>
>>3876372
if you go to the main attraction at a national park or anything within 2 miles of the road it's going to be crowded. zion's narrows and angels landing are crowded but the kolob canyon hikes and east rim trails are almost entirely free of people. the "creativity" in landscape comes from finding things other people haven't shot.
>>
>>3876309
>what genre of photography is devoid of any effort and why is it landscape?
you could've just said devoid of sovl and btfo landscape niggas
>>
File: 2021.04.04-17.18.jpg (421 KB, 1280x720)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
Architecture photography is like taking video game screenshots

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2021:04:04 17:31:22
>>
>>3876309
Definitely studio macro
>>
>>3876616
In that it requires actual skill to make a good frame rather than a mere depiction of somebody else's product?
>>
>>3876369
>projection
>soulless
>t.nophoto
>>
>>3876309
>what genre of photography is devoid of any effort
street
>why is it landscape?
it's not, landscape is actually an artform because you have to scout, study the light and plan the shoot accordingly
>>
>>3876330
>>3876363
>>3876372
Found the street snappers. Your stuff will never be art, deal with it.
>>
>>3876369
>in the search of peace and happiness
That's not what landscape is about. You never made it because you were never gonna make it.
Landscape isn't about crossing whatever place is trendy among instagram thots off your list.
Landscape is about capturing the beauty of nature.
>>
>>3876443
the new boss is the old boss
>>
File: out99.webm (2.94 MB, 960x540)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
street photography speedrun
>>
>>3876749
>>3876456
>>
>>3876754
>Mac
>>
>>3876391
Hard to put it in better words.
>>
>>3876806
oh no no no no....
>>
>>3876754
kek streetcucks on suicide watch
>>
>>3876756
not art
>>
>>3876756
That's not street snapping, those shots were obviously carefully planned.
That's urban landscape.
It's art.
>>
File: landscape.webm (2.74 MB, 1280x720)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB WEBM
>>3876754
Landscape Speedrun
>>
>>3876898
>>
>>3876899
could work. show up early in the morning when it's not windy and the water has no ripples, get close to the water and low to the ground so that hopefully the mountains in the background are reflected, plus luck out with some nice clouds in the sky and you could have yourself a shot.
>>
>>3876856
Just so I'm following your line of thinking: Street becomes not-street when using a tripod. Is that it?
>>
>>3876856
You're confusing "careful planning" with "intent". Good street photography will have intent, even if you can't plan the shot out days in advance. The intent doesn't come from saying "oh I'm going to take the picture exactly like this or that" but from saying "I would like to represent this or that and will find a way to do that". I'm not a huge fan of street either, but you're comparing street snapshitting with planned landscape, and it's just not a fair
comparison to make. Unless you're just baiting and shitposting, in which you should go take more photos and stop shitting up threads
>>
>>3876309
The thing is...
I'd argue that good landscape photography requires a good amount of planning and a lot of tricks in addition to get a good end product.
Ultimately, I do think the appealing aspect for landscape photography is to capture either a moment, like what other anons have mentioned with sunrise or sunset, or to just provide a sense of a location.
Street photography... ergh... I hate the idea that it's just B&W filters. The best street photography wasn't even shot on digital, and the idea that street photography is exclusively monochromatic is just... dumb.

I personally feel like the dumbest genre of photography are portraits, especially studio portraits.
It's just a gear fest. You get your model or whomever to do one of the poses you tell them to do, set up some kind of background, and then the flash strobes, and then you get this... clinical photography, that feels like it's something regurgitated from a textbook.
Portraiture is just too artificial. You might as well just be a painter, and work from photo references.
>>
>>3877161
Street photo has no control over light (vast majority of time).
A good studio portraitist can and will use the different lights on their possession just as fluently as the camera they have. It's retarded to think they set the lights randomly and snap away.
A good landscape photographer will study the sun's trajectory to catch his subject in the best light he wants to do (dramatic, soft, sunset/sunrise, etc).
A good street photographer, which are few because most of them don't understand real street photography, spray and pray until they have something they like and convert it to B&W for hipster points rather than for taking advantage of light or textures they probably didn't even see.
>>
>>3877226
>t. a street shooter fucked my bitch
>>
>>3877161
>I'd argue that good landscape photography requires a good amount of planning and a lot of tricks in addition to get a good end product.
lol no, just like street photography it's 80% luck, and 20% actually going outdoors
>>
>>3877257
>t. manly poster fucked my hobby up
>>
So according to this thread
>studio macro
>street photography
>landscapes
>Architecture photography
Are soulless automaton shit. I guess we can add product photography.

So what are the /p/ approved genres?
>>
>>3877161
>Portraiture is just too artificial. You might as well just be a painter
uhmm...so an actual artist? Portrait bros vindicated
>>
>>3876987
Yes.
>>
>>3877378
dickpics and gear pics
>>
File: 1047_s.jpg (321 KB, 1200x900)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
>>3877378
Cat, weed or anime figure snaps.
>>
>>3877378
Insect macros, wildlife and flowers.
And the mandatory cat tax.
>>
File: proxy-image.jpg (9 KB, 234x215)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>3877436
my plan with my exa***s is to use them exclusively to take pictures of the other exa***s and then to take pictures of the pictures of exa***s and so on and so forth until my sole artistic output is the same exact picture of nothing whatsoever; a hundred-trillion-trillion-trillion snaps of nothing, stretching out past infinity, creating new boundaries for this fallen whore universe, now heaving with recursive nothingnesses, networked dysonspheres churning out more and more HP5+ for more and more pictures of grain of snaps of cameras, pure consuming self-replicating pockets of void until kalki has the tinder necessary to burn it all to a cinder whereupon the simulation resets and this ridiculous gladiatorial sepulcher is disallowed from ever existing ever again
>>
>>3877508
addendum: i believe this is the only legitimate use of any photography
>>
>>3877508
>>3877509

ART
>>
>>3876309
I think all that should matter is if the picture looks good. You can hike 20 miles into the wilderness at 2 AM and get an amazing picture but you can also get a mediocre one. Same goes for taking a photo after walking around the block. Effort=\=quality if we're talking about whatever you "sacrificed" to get the shot. This is what film shooters get hung up on; they think their photos are good because they "slowed down" and had to develop them.

At the end of the day, people who aren't the photographer don't look at a photo and think of the "effort", they like it if it's good. All this talk about what's harder or more complex is meaningless dick waving. A great image shot on auto in your locale isn't diminished because you didn't have to collect a bunch of gear and travel 100 miles to make it happen.
>>
File: markwiensCurry-1.jpg (53 KB, 634x351)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>be me
>be shit tier with no equipment
>wanting to get okay at something
>thinking some simple gear and landscape shots could get me into a new hobby
>think about hanging out with /p/
>first thread I read
>mfw

I'm going back to /ck/
>>
>>3877595
Don't take most of what you read here too seriously
>>
>>3877595
>>3877630
Lot people in here not think real good
>>
>>3877595
/p/ is the worst board on 4chan/nel and the longer you stay here, the more you'll hate photographers. If you can funnel this malice into resolution to be better, you can find utility and even inspiration. It is a /p/erilous road.
>>
>>3877632
yes thats why i fit right in
>>
>>3877378
Ken Rockwell imitation
>>
There are a million billion cool landscape subjects to photograph and /p/ cucks get caught up on the whole fucking idea because everyone in america has been to yosemite. Well here's an idea: go to any of the thousands of square miles around yosemite that are also beautiful and take photos
>>
>>3877645
For sure. People who think Yosemite is just Half Dome and El Capitan shows how many people actually go to these parks. Even if you're trying to rush to see the touristy stuff in Yosemite Valley, it takes almost an hour to get to tunnel view from the eastern entrances because of how big the park is. There's a crazy amount of wilderness surrounding it.
>>
>>3877645
>>3877654
better yet: work with iranian militants to turn california into an irradiated wasteland and then take pictures of that instead
>>
>>3877595
You'll get far with that defeatist loser attitude
>>
>>3877588
great point
>>
File: 1569343328174.jpg (416 KB, 2048x1380)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
>>3876309
As someone who takes lots of landscape photos and loves them, yes it is effortless.
Also street photography is mostly luck once you know the settings you should use.

Sport photography and Wild animal photography probably takes the most effort and skill.
>>
File: 1587941785521.jpg (613 KB, 1187x1484)
613 KB
613 KB JPG
>>3876616
Kek, absolutely. I love architecture photography, but it is easy and skill less.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2019 (Macintosh)
Image Width3600
Image Height4500
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2020:04:26 23:54:05
Image Width1187
Image Height1484
>>
File: Capture2.png (1.25 MB, 871x909)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>3876754
Kek, very true, love me some google maps street photography
>>3876898
>>3876899
Better than most really
>>
>>3876372
doesn't this photo just make you look like an idiot?
>>
File: 100_6870.jpg (2.83 MB, 2592x1944)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
>>3877497
>anime figure snaps.
I hope to one day master this art.

Equipment MakeEASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Camera ModelKODAK P850 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.6
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)36 mm
Horizontal Resolution94 dpcm
Vertical Resolution94 dpcm
Image Created2020:12:16 22:16:51
Exposure Time10 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating64
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length6.00 mm
Exposure Index64
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3876806
>I hate macs
>no I've never used one, how can you tell?
>>
>>3876806
As a windows user I can honestly say Windows is the most retarded OS. (at least W10)
You should either go Linux or Mac. Mac if you're a retard, and Linux if you're an autistic retard.
W10 is just a garbage middle ground.
>>
>>3877921
FLAT CHEST!!!
>>
>>3876806
>>3877946
>>3877947
It's funny because that's actually Linux.
>>
>>3877947
See how slow and sluggish everything is in that video. It's definitely Linux.
>>
>>3876363
You are talking about this like it's some team sports rivarly between groups. Chill out man.
>>
>>3877946
>>3877947
>>3877953
>>3877999
See how they always devolve into brandfags, no matter what they topic. This is truly fascinating behaviour
>>
>>3878104
Brandfagging is used when all that matters is the name. Different OS's have massively different experiences. Also one sends all you data the the Chinese unironically and the others don't
>>
>>3878106
Seemed like brandfagging to me because it was all just names and opinions
>>
>>3876749
is upskirt art?
>>
>>3879207
Yes
especially when it's a cute girl.
>>
>>3876372
how about exploring the outside yourself instead of going to pre determined tourist zones? and even if you don't want to do that, you can still take decent landscape shots in tourist zones. learn how to use different techniques like median stack to get rid of every human in the image for example with zero drop on image quality.
>>
File: 1620045520499.jpg (198 KB, 851x755)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>3876330
so much truth.
>>
>>3877950
best chest
>>
I shoot street, but people who flood the internet with stock standard photos of people walking and lame DUDE IT'S A SHADOW images really shit me off. No creativity, no vision.
>>
>>3877436
How I do get a high IQ like yours?
>>
>>3877913
So does this photo fall under street, sport or wild animal photography?
>>
>>3879668
Isnt that the guy who preached about drugs being for weak men, and how addiction isnt real.
Then he himself almost died like a retard with russian quack doctors, because of his secret benzo addiction?
>>
>>3876368
literal shit for brains
>>
>>3880177
Yeah.
Also his daughter is a whore who left her husband and kid to suck the cock of a porn director.
>>
>>3877378
Birds. The only good photography genre. High skill ceiling. Requires a lot of knowledge, effort, planning, expensive long lenses, usually have only seconds to compose a good shot.

Only masters can photograph birds.
>>
>>3880256
Only masters can photograph birds *well*
>>
File: DSC_0454.jpg (337 KB, 1803x1203)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
>>3880259
I'm getting there.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5500
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee 5.8
Maximum Lens Aperturef/6.3
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)450 mm
Image Width6008
Image Height4008
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2020:10:06 11:22:08
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length300.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3876309
>takes a picture of a box on the side of the street
>calls it "street photography"
>slaps a b & w filter on it

Street is the absolute laziest thing.
>>
Seriously WHY are there so many boomers in landscape
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (49 KB, 512x341)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>3876309
fuck up nigga
>>
>what is boudoir
>>
>>3876898
based
>>
>>3880345
A generational thing, tons of oldheads like traveling and bright nature hence saturated landscapes.
Nowadays it's Cartier street photography and "building corner with a dumpster rendered in flat tones"

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.