[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 58 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: How did I get here.jpg (1.71 MB, 3000x2044)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
G'day guys

I have been working as a war reporter and photojournalist for the last three years. I've been lucky enough for my photography to take me on crazy adventures around the globe and luckier to have survived them all.

Happy to answer any question about the line of work, and share some stories over the next few days while I sort my archive.

I am also trying to get the number on Instagram up, so I can justify uploading more photographs – if you are interested or just want to help out give me a follow @samjeder

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
whats your gear
>>
>>3874996
Did you shoot someone to death?
>>
>>3875000

Canon 5D IV
Canon 6D for backup
70-200 2.8 something
16-35 F4
35 F2
50 F1.4
20-105 F (almost never use this one anymore)
Some flash gear
And recently I picked up a GoPro for behind-the-scenes stuff.
>>
do you carry all the gear at once or only the lens you know you will be used in certain situation?

you must have carry two bodies at all time one with wide and one with telephoto i assume.
>>
>>3874996
Why are there so many books but hardly any shelves there?
>>
>>3874996
That's not street. They don't have a choice about being photographed, what are they going to do, field an army to stop you?
>>
>>3875006
It depends a lot on what im doing.
I am not really a big fan of running around with two cameras at once, makes moving around a bit of a pain. And I find being comfortable and motivated to move around is better than having 2 lenses ready to go at all times.

I have a belt pouch system (you can see it in the photo above), while the idea sounds a bit awkward it is bloody perfect. Changing lenses is so easy I really don't need to use two bodies all the time. So I carry all my main kit in there, and if need be I have a backpack with other stuff nearby.
>>
>>3875008
Guessing they ripped took out the shelves to use in their makeshift barracks in a nearby building. Or to use as firewood, since damp books are actually pretty hard to burn.
>>
>>3874996
1. how did you start your career in war photojournalism? any advice for someone trying to get into this field?
2. if you had to keep only 1 lens per camera, how would your kit look like?
3. your thoughts on mirrorless systems?
>>
File: Cold Camera.jpg (1.23 MB, 2253x3000)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>3875014
1) I reached a turning point in my photography. I had been spending all of my free time, and money taking pics since a pretty young age. Eventually, I realized I had gotten really good at making nice photos. The kind of photos you would hang on a wall. But they didn't have any soul, meaning, or value other than aesthetic.

I compared my work to the photographers who had inspired me in the first place, and realized I needed to do something drastic, or give up that part of my life. So I quit my job within the photo industry, and spend a couple of months finding contacts and planning a trip to a war zone. I wasn't exactly looking for a war, but I wanted something organic, raw, intense, and maybe a little dangerous. And so I ended up in Ukraine.
There I got lucky enough to find some good stories, and it kept me afloat.

2) Despite never having touched one, I think it would be a 24-70 F2.8. And then a trusty 70-200 on the other camera (just to make life easier). I used to be a big fan of lop DOF, but I eventually grew out of that phase. For a photojournalist, the environment and context of a photo are pretty important in my mind.

3) Mixed feelings. I don't plan on buying one anytime soon. I also am only interested in canon stuff, I can't be bothered to relearn what had become second nature to shoot on the canon system.

I beat the shit out of my gear, like most people in this line of work, so they would need to be just as durable. Also, the lenses are way too big and heavy at the moment and don't offer too many advantages. If they can make mirrorless just as capable and robust, I think I would be open-minded.

Pic related: shooting in -20 on top of a mountain. My mate's mirrorless camera just stopped working halfway through the night, the canon had no problem.

>>
>>3874996
Ever fuck some Taliban cunny?
>>
File: download (5).jpg (40 KB, 478x406)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>3875025
Here's another example of how "photojournalism" is a total fraud and a scam and has nothing whatsoever to do with true facts.
>>
>>3875025
I can see where you are coming from, which is why I often choose to say I am a documentary photographer than anything with 'journalist' in the title. I don't want to get political, which I try to also avoid in my work.

What interests me is people and their stories, rather than trying to construct an image about ongoing events by selectively shooting one side of the story.
>>
>>3875038
You'll never sell anything with truth, if you are hoping for any of the outlets to take work. They exist exactly and only as liars. They do nothing else.
>>
ever think about getting into video?
>>
>>3875043

Are there any outlets (international) who you think are halfway decent?
>>
>>3875044

A little bit. I am not a big fan of the extra effort that video takes. But if there is a specific thing worth filming, or if someone convinces me it makes much better money than I dont see why not
>>
>>3875046
Actually this is one of the reason why its very important for me to have a camera that is good in both video and photos. We are moving away from photos and toward documenting with video and having a small FF camera with 8 bit colors is going to allow me to do things that i could only do with a heavy shoulder cam in the past.

Maybe a good reason for you to check out the R6
>>
>>3875064
10 bit colors not 8 bit
>>
>>3875065

What is a good rig which could do that?
Camera body, lens + the rest
>>
>>3875067
Any sony or cannon mirrorless and a 24-70 f2.8 lens. Need 10 bit colors and 4k 60p

Just need to get good at switching from photos and video because they need to be expose differently.
>>
>>3875047
>Well, let me test you on this matter, who was killed/murdered on January 6th, at the US Capitol?
fuckoff /pol/cel tourist, he asked you a simple, direct question and your retard ass can't answer, just deflect
>>
>>3874996
post photos, this is an image board.
>>
>>3875011
Appreciate the actual answer to my joke question.
>>
>>3875025
>Photojournalism doesn't exist.
Hot takes straight from the basement lmao.
>>
>>3875086
go back
>>
File: Here and there-17.jpg (541 KB, 2000x1334)
541 KB
541 KB JPG

>>
>>3875092
I'd hit it
our kids too
>>
File: Here and there_b.jpg (560 KB, 2000x1334)
560 KB
560 KB JPG

>>
File: Here and there-22.jpg (669 KB, 2000x1333)
669 KB
669 KB JPG

>>
>>3875094
What kind of off camera flash did you use for these photos?
>>
>>3875100

I dont really want to get into details of the technical side of this project. But here is a bit of a bts

https://www.samueleder.com/the-face-of-donbas/war-in-eastern-ukraine-project
>>
>>3875098
Literally me
>>3875100
It's some fag advertising here for some reason
>>
>>3875104
>>>/pol/
you have to go back

>aliles of the regimes of the world, such as the Australian government
Hey fatso, do you even have a passport?
Even an instathot that does coomtography in Dubai has more real world experience about different countries than you
Let that sink in
>>
File: Here and there-13.jpg (1.25 MB, 2000x1333)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG

>>
>>3875109
:)
>>
>>3875102
OP I found all of these very moving.
>>
File: Here and there-15.jpg (1.5 MB, 2000x1310)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>3875113

Thanks, mate, I appreciate that.

>>
Appreciate the photos OP, these are great, keep em coming!
>>
File: Here and there-16.jpg (1.14 MB, 2000x1414)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG

>>
>>3875025
This. Photojournalists are unknowing or complicit in serving the beast of twisted news conglomerates.
>>
Going to do some fishing, will answer any questions when im back with dinner
>>
>>3875043
This. But you could apply this to any creative art. For success, it has to be political and serve their narrative.
>music
>animation
>film
>>
>>3875094
>>3875092
Could you elaborate what setup and settings you use for these low key portraits?
>>
Any advice for anyone wanting to start out being a war photographer? How did you get into it and how can I start?
>>
>>3875135

Sorry, im trying to keep the details of that one on the down-low until an article about it goes it
>>
>>3875144

My advice would be to think about it twice. Its reallu, not the same kind of work my mentors did during the 80s and 90s. Today the value images is at an all time low, while there also being tones of them thanks to smartphones now being common everywhere.

Most people who do this, do it on holidays and as self funded projects. My advice would also be, to be careful what you wish for.

Things can get lonely, and dark. And depending on the kind of person you are, you might end up missing it when its over – which I think might be the biggest danger of all. If you really want to roll the dice mentally and physically. Then get a mentor, do lots of research, get a press pass, organise fixers, find legit insurance agency and then just go for it. But expect the process before u end up in a conflict zone to take months or years if you want to do it right. At the end of the day it is a life-changing experience, and even if no one will buy your photos of the story, you will walk away with a perspective very few humans get to have.
>>
File: Here and there-4.jpg (613 KB, 1920x1280)
613 KB
613 KB JPG

>>
Why did that guy get banned? he was direct but not asking any cunt questions.
Extremely ironic he got banished in a thread about an actual war photographer who wanders around risking suffering the same thing.
>>
>>3875195
I've tasted failure so many times in my life that I'm ready to taste another flavor of it.

I'm not lonely, I'm alone. I've always been a loner.
>>
>>3875198
pol content shitposting, would be my guess. Dude's unhinged, so no loss.
>>
>>3875232
Silencing people doesn't rehinge them, it just validates their tugging motion at the hinges that seem to be against them.

Someone on 4chan of all places should know that you reddit tourist.
>>
>>3875239
He's derailing, he had it coming.
Don't get me wrong, I'm NS and all but the dude needs to figure out what his place is.
>>
>>3875239
Nobody cares about him getting rehinged, probably an impossible thing to do since he is convinced anyone trying to help is the devil and sucking babies.
Just forget him and enjoy the photos
>>
>>3875193
Skylight and photoshop? Or skylight emulating speedlight in a dark room and photoshop out the faff
>>
>>3875198
It was all lies, there was nothing worth fighting for.
>>
>>3875232
>pol content shitposting
I didn't see the last posts so cannot say but there's plenty of political comments that rarely get deleted, so why here where it is at least remotely on-topic?
>Dude's unhinged
He was banned, for one, so maybe he was onto something because none of the things i read where strange for someone not-american.

>>3875245
>He's derailing
>I'm NS
You are not and he was not, if you are NS then it's the most poor, slackjawed, limp-wristed example of one i've ever seen. Step it up.
>>
>>3875004
>Canon shit
Disgusting.
>>
>>3875288
>none of the things i read where strange for someone not-american.
he was spewing /pol/ shit on a photography board. people come her to talk about photography. plain and simple.
>>
>>3875092
>>3875094
Amazing portraits. Do you carry lights on the field?
>>
>>3875288
>so why here where it is at least remotely on-topic?
Because it wasn't. Look into the archives. His first post had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. Then he tried subtler forms of derailment.
>>
>>3875004
I assume your mostly used lenses are the 35 and 70-300? How often do you actually use the 16-35?
>>
Remember you from the old thread. sorry last time I thought you were LARPing

Now I understand much more about the subject. and the question is:

your vehicle >>3875114 with this TV can become dangerous, since journalists are becoming the target since late 2000. With the war Ukraine vs Russia isn't that over yet, do you feel more insecure roaming these neighbours saying out loud you're a journalist? How the rebels and the Russian dealing with the situation?
>>
>>3874996
You should make a thread on /k/ showcasing some of your photos
>>
>>3875347
seconded
the motion passes
do it, OP
>>
File: eMJRzyJ.jpg (2.7 MB, 2048x3089)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
>>3874996
>>3875347
>>3875348
Deliver OP
>>
File: Here and there-18.jpg (575 KB, 2000x1334)
575 KB
575 KB JPG
>>3875302

When I am working on this series yeh I do. But it, as you might be able to imagine carrying, and using lights on the frontline, is a terrible terrible idea. Not many people have done it. But I think the photos made the danger, and hassle worth it.

>>
File: Here and there-12.jpg (1.74 MB, 2300x1533)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>3875317

Hmm, I think the 16-35 is actually one of my most used lenses. When working in trenches, tight foxholes, and abandoned tows it really is perfect. Maybe a 24-70 would be better. For my portraits its always the 70-200.

I would use the 35 and 50 more often, but they have seen better days and the AF is not what it used to be.

Example of the 16-35 in use bellow, shot at 16mm

>>
File: Welcome Home-2.jpg (1.75 MB, 3000x2000)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>3875333

No worries mate.

Yeh, that's a tough one. In this conflict, it's pretty rare for snipers and whatnot to target journalists since neither side wants to be framed as being violent. In the past I have actually stripped off all of my press signs on my vest to hide that I was a journo, since as soon as the other side realises there is a member of the press there they start behaving well.

The reason I chose to put it on the car: It is an old 4WD, the kind of car which is commonly used by local military, or worse, militia forces. Bc of the type of car, and areas I was driving in it made sense to put it out there, since it would be more dangerous for me to be mistaken as enemy forces.

I remember my first day on the frontline, I asked if the other side target journalists. The soldiers didn't know and said I should stand up (we were in a foxhole) and see for myself hahaha.

>>
How old were you when you started war photography
>>
File: Here and there-9.jpg (823 KB, 2000x1333)
823 KB
823 KB JPG
>>3875347
>>3875348
>>3875515

Yeh why not

>>
File: Here and there-21.jpg (745 KB, 2000x1429)
745 KB
745 KB JPG
>>3875750

Too young lol. So young that if I had made any mistakes, getting myself into trouble, or not won a couple of awards following my first tour, there would be more than one article out criticizing the hell out of me, and maybe my family. Last year a filmmaker wanted to make a documentary about my life, I got the feeling it was going to focus on my age and previous experience too much so I turned it down.

>>
>>3875752
How long will you keep working on this? I assume there is no clear career progression path for a frontline photo journalist, but on the other hand you cannot keep doing forever. Or could you?
>>
>>3875744
Thanks a lot for your response. To be honest, I didn't expect you to use that 16-35 that often.
>>
Great pics Sam, I’m looking at your site now.
Where are you from? Reading your posts makes me think Oz..?
Anyway, good work, stay safe mate.
>>
File: Here and there-14.jpg (1.39 MB, 2000x1333)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>3875776

Yeh, that's a tough question. Its a tough job, there is not doubt about that – even just on interesting projects which are not in war zones. As I said earlier, things get lonely, and it does take a toll. But I still love it, and I think im lucky for how well it's gone for me so far. A quote I really like is "all in all its worth it, even for the little victories, standing by as a witness to the dark rumblings of history".

Most people who do this full time, spend most of their year photographing Antifa rallies, press conferences or other boring shit. Right now I work full time for a big new agency (I cant say who), which allows me to travel and work on my own projects as I like. Having that kind of support, credibility and connections can make all the difference.

But, for the real long term, I have been considering studying Paramedicine, building on my past experiencing working as an EMT. I think that, would be the most satisfying kind of normal work. Considering everything I have seen I don't think I could be at peace working in an office, or any job I feel to be 'meaningless'. Might even go into the army as a medic. It is strange to think I sometimes miss being shot at, but its pretty common.

>>
File: Here and there-7.jpg (522 KB, 1920x1280)
522 KB
522 KB JPG
>>3875779

Yeh nor did I going into it. But it works surprisingly well. Pretty sure this one was made with it

>>
File: Here and there-11.jpg (1.65 MB, 2300x1533)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>3875781

Thanks, mate, I lot of people might criticize me from sharing my work on a sit like this. But honestly, I think talking to people, answering questions about the places and sharing stories, and giving an insight into the industry might do more good than any of my articles haha

I'm half Aussie, half Austrian – the source of endless jokes hahaha

>>
>>3875796
>I'm half Aussie, half Austrian
Holy shit, I’ve been holding on to this for you!
I’m next door in NZ.

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width533
Image Height291
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3875796
>a site like this
was made in order to prevent namefagging half-wit blogpoasters from existing.

Your sagacious war-snapper wisdom is Tumblr-level teenage-girl-diary drivel with the additional aspect of being EGREGIOUSLY VILE. You're just another war-profiteer, but you're trying to make it into some sort of noble artistic cause, when the fact of the matter is that you're a random cunt with a camera who has mistaken an anonymous imageboard for a blog. You decided to make money off of suffering but don't even have the balls to accept that simple fact, and you come here to talk about "meaningless" jobs when all you do is capture misery for money and then market it as thought-provoking.

Oh, you couldn't be at peace working in an office? Awwww. :( How about all the victims of war whose funerals you steal for money. Do you think those dead bastards would be "at peace working in an office"? Were their squalid lives "meaningless" until you graced their misery with your fucking camera? How nice that you have the support, credibility, and connections to monetize human suffering but with the utter peace of mind that comes from the remove of "hey it wasn't me guys war is bad mkay ARTARTART?"

Grow the fuck up. Your total lack of self-awareness is fucking disgusting. Perhaps you can transmute all that courage you've developed in
>muh battlefield
into murdering yourself you absolute trash fucking cunt.

t. actual fucking war criminal
>>
>>3875805
Eat a dick you hippie
>>
>>3875824
>t. literally can't fucking read
My takeaway from this dumpsterfire fucking thread: My next war crimes will be more about journos and less about Yemenis. Screencap this.
>>
How do you handle being in potentially dicey situations?
I've been thinking about doing a similar project documenting victims of violence in my area. Other than avoiding obviously sketchy dudes, I wouldn't know what else to look for. Got any tips?
>>
File: laughing.jpg (51 KB, 634x318)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>3875805
>>
>>3875747
At least they are both trying to pretend they are not violent, safer to you and your mate who's working as a fixer to you iir

The 4WD being almost the same car is a problem, so making it sure can save your life..

are you planning to go back there?

>>3875796
the main problem of posting it being a photojournalist is that people like to ruin your day just for fun. Many trolls.

At least, as I'm following from far the politics, being from 4chin isn't much a problem for this conflict in specific. Many people around here are truly shilling for Russia, or shilling for Pravda Sector and acting as 'rebels' etc
>>
File: Here and there-19.jpg (936 KB, 2000x1333)
936 KB
936 KB JPG
>>3875798

Ahh, awesome. The guy who got into this line of work/mentor is a kiwi, he covered the war in Bosnia. He said he was getting paid thousands of dollars each day just to photograph the waves of refugees until he got bored and left.

>>
>>3875855

Yeh, but as the same time images of a quiet frontline dont tell, and more importantly they dont reflect what is really going on. So a few times I have removed any press insignia to blend in. Those times its been a little different, and people have taken shots at us.

Im am eyeing up some other projects in non-war zones yet, but if someone had an assignment for me I will defo head back. But for Ukraine in general, I am a lot more interested in the separatist side at the moment, since it is very underreported in international media.

Ahh thats not a problem. A lot of the criticisms are valid, there is a reason its been branded as such a dirty job.

>>
File: Samuel+Eder+Face+B-2.jpg (99 KB, 750x1054)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>3875862
Do yourself and your mother a favor and never go to Afghanistan. Cunt.
>>
>>3875805
t. larping schizo
>>
>>3875873

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width320
Image Height240
>>
>>3875875
This proves nothing
>>
>>3875970
Here's what I want you to do, you spineless do-nothing go-nowhere NEET zoomer sack of shit: find 100 retired military personnel and ask them whether they have the same level of self-appreciation and self-satisfaction that this fucking piece of ABSOLUTE HUMAN TRASH does. What you'll find, after your poll, is that the only people who revel in this kind of shit are SIDELINE SELFIE FAGGOTS who cannot into the pure fucking hell of actual fucking war. He's not telling a story. HE IS A CARPETBAGGING CUNT who trades in MISERY PORN. Fuck you, fuck OP especially, and fuck this pure abomination of a thread.
>>
>>3875974
zogbot malfunction rofl
>>
>>3875977
I've distributed this faggot's photo to a lot of unseemly people in a number of unseemly places and they have been informed that he is not a simple journalist but is, in fact, CIA. Like jannies, they do it for free. Will his luck hold? Let's find out.
>>
fake post:
>3875781
>>
>>3874996
What should I do to counter Potemkins force break?
>>
>>3875862
For the better, at least they aren't targeting you.

Russians are permitting journalists there, aren't they?
>>
>>3875865
would behead/10
>>
>>3874996
>craziest story
>do you have tinnitus from being around >gunshots? how do you get these agreements? do you talk to a newspaper that then talks to a general that grants you permission to follow his soldiers around?
>>
>>3875865
how old are you
>>
>>3875805
this is jealousy. he is jealous because he never managed to do something exiting like op.
>>
>>3876713
Old enough to know that if the smug cunt responsible for this thread shows up to any of my old AOs to take pictures of grieving mothers in order to exchange them for shekels, he's a fucking dead man. <3
>>
>>3876722
i wasnt asking you looser i was asking op
>>
>>3876723
Lurk for five years so that you may:
1) learn how to use the site properly
2) turn 18
>>
>>3876726
>learn how to use the site properly
That's the funniest thing I've read today
>>
>>3875299
it's tough stuff
>>
>>3875974
you're a fucking idiot, without anyone to document the misery the only result is that war becomes worse
>>
>>3876891
>the only result is that war becomes worse
That's the point. Photographs of atrocities hold them to account. They don't like that.
>>
>>3875013
you sound like an extremely bitter little closet case my man
>>
>>3875019
>My mate's mirrorless camera just stopped working halfway through the night, the canon had no problem.
Fuji larpers on absolute suicide watch. Canon has always been THE system for pros imo.
>>
>>3875092
>https://www.samueleder.com/the-face-of-donbas/war-in-eastern-ukraine-project
cool stuff man. good job.
>>
>>3876960

This comment made my day, will reply to the others later
>>
>>3876961
Note it says "Looking Ukaine's war in the eye" in the title. (Typo)
>>
>>3875805
lol so this is what real seething looks like. u probably are that fat faggot taking pics of stop signs, powerlines and random midwestern buildings and thinks you're king shit. sorry no one likes your junk and sam is getting a lot of attention. hurts doesnt it, fag?
>>
>ITT: Journalist-fellators
The good news is that there is a pincer attack unfolding, as journos are now Pure Enemies of both the real left and real right. The only question that remains for this little rootless cosmopolitan rat-faced fuck is: Frozen milkshake or .50 cal?
>>
>>3876983
>there is a pincer attack unfolding
Daft git
>>
>>3876998
No really, anon. Everyone with morals hates journalists. I look forward to OP getting his throat slit so that I can take pictures of his sobbing mommy. And then I can sell pictures of his crying mommy so that "people can know." :)
>>
>>3877004
Daft larping git
>>
>"Please everyone, soak up the horror of this grief-stricken rotten-cunted journo-shitting whore on my IG. Prints of her contorted wet face available on mugs, tee-shirts, and calendars."
What the world needs more than anything, to properly "tell the tale," is big-tittied influencers to pose with his corpse and his grieving whore mother. Hopefully someone can come up with an AI sorrow-filter to really bring out the despair.
>>
>>3877005
Please keep white knighting the journalist you abominable faggot lmao
>>
I know I'm not the only person on the planet who is looking forward to the public executions of journalists. I might be the only one on /p/ willing to take the ban for saying so, but I pray every night for their excruciating, signal-sending deaths. Heads on pikes to let the rest of them know. Burned to a crisp. Exsanguinated, dismembered, and cast to the foul winds. Made examples of. Liveleak -> .webm pipeline. I live for the hate I have for journalists and the promise of seeing them in a pit grave.
>>
>>3877011
t. flatearther trumpist bolsonarist scum covid is a hoax
>>
>>3877015
>unironic Twitter-level thought-silo neolib-apologist poast
You have to be 18 to post here, kiddo. Try Fark.
>>
>>3877015
He's having a bad hair day, ignore him.
>>
>>3877020
What's truly astounding to me is that the journo-fellators ITT would, if queried, probably decry the horrors of war, would probably admit that journalism is a failed institution, would probably understand that monetized propaganda is a net negative for a functioning society, but, when put in the context of gearfaggery, will suck the first corporate cock to come along and reduce any criticism, or even the possibility of criticism, to what lens and what body were used. Zero principles, zero thought, zero foresight, zero anything other than the basest, saddest, most animalistic drive to consoom. Cameras, lenses, grief, horror, doesn't matter. JUST. FUCKING. SOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
>>
Read this cunt's fucking posts you midwit consumer shitbags:
>I realized I had gotten really good at making nice photos. The kind of photos you would hang on a wall. But they didn't have any soul, meaning, or value other than aesthetic.
He is literally admitting, in his criminal hubris, to STEALING SOULS. The native Americans were right, and this motherfucker needs to be scalped on national TV to atone for his thievery. Simple as.
>>
>>3877020
Nah, he's too smart to this board. He must share his intelligence with us. It isn't everyday we have access to such brain levels since we are all dumb.

>>3877016
Please, post more, I love your posts. you're so smart, so strong, an independent thinker, a true brainer. You must have some STEM degree.

>>3877025
Yes, they were all right. please, post more truth, we may seek the truth
>>
>>3877020
I think he must have run out of chaturbate coins and doesn't know what else to do with his hands
>>
>>3877035
THAT MEME IS SO FUNNY HAHAHAH LOOK AT HIS FACE HE MUST CONSUME SO MUCH ONIONS SUCH A ONIONS BOY DAMNED BE THESE JOURNALISTS HAHAHAHAH

oh please, keep em coming
>>
>>3876983
go back to masturbating over rekt webms on /gif/ you fucking nigger
>>
>>3877031
>>3877050
Are you capable of producing a thought that doesn't center around a phallus?
>>
>>3877054
Are you capable of producing a thought that doesn't center around a hate?
>>
>>3877079
Oh look; a thoughless soomer whiteknight neolib whose answer to the monetization and glorification of human misery is to dispel "hate" so that the war-machine and its goreporn can continue unabated without the journalists feelings being hurt. Neat.
>>
>>3877079
Just say it: You love corporate journalism and corporations generally. You go on Twitter to defend Amazon against unions for free. You whiteknight Jack Dorsey because you are a programmable cog in a machine that wants you dead. Just say it. Slave piece of shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to8_s7mFxQ8
>>
>>3877086
lmao he’s pro union now that’s adorable.
>>
File: setup.jpg (457 KB, 2494x1684)
457 KB
457 KB JPG
For those interested
>>
File: setup-02.jpg (704 KB, 2366x1684)
704 KB
704 KB JPG
>>3877130
>>
>>3877130
based and forwarded-to-hezbollahtelegrampilled
>>
File: setup-03.jpg (405 KB, 2052x1636)
405 KB
405 KB JPG
>>3877130
>>3877131
so that's the setup, pretty neat

>>
>>3876952
Exactly
>>3876960
Fujislugs are all about the stupid looks in their cameras, worst part is they don't even look good lol.
>>
>>3877132

Based, since when did HES has a telegram, send link brother
>>
>>3875004
Ever thought about replacing the 6D with a crop camera? On canon that 70-200 would be like what 105-300 with a 7d
>>
File: Here and there-24.jpg (865 KB, 2000x1333)
865 KB
865 KB JPG
Sorry, been a couple of busy days, will try and answer all the questions

>>
File: Here and there-6.jpg (474 KB, 1920x1280)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
I have had a bit to drink so I will try and answer these as well as possible.

>>3875979
Please take your meds Anon.

>>3876355
It's not up to the Russians, not officially anyway, or to my own belief. They let very very few people in. I think it is to protect against spooks, western propaganda, and to protect journos – since there is still a pretty big rift between the rebels and their government. I made it clear that I had worked closely with Ukraine when I applied for my press accreditation, and to the shock of myself and many others, they approved me. MY DPR press pass was number 40-something, my Ukrainian one was 2000-something.

>>3876710
Yeh, I do have tinnitus. Before I got into the line of work I loved watching (still do) Archer, and all the tinnitus jokes. Now the quote 'I need to sleep with the fan on' has a bit of a different meaning. My tinnitus isn't from a large number of gunshots, rather guns being fired inside concrete buildings (that shit is dangerous).

There is not really one method of getting agreements. It's been different every time, and from what I hear it's also been different for other fens in the field. I always inform several outlets first and see if they are interested in anything. But before that comes getting all the baseline paperwork out of the way, press pass, accreditation – stuff that actually lets you work in the area. Once you are on the ground, the normal procedure (not what I do) would be to get everything else figured out by your fixer – essentially a tour guide for reporters who has all the right contacts.

Let me know if I should explain this better.

>>
>>3876713

Young, I like to be judged by my work, and the references of those I have worked with rather than my age. But at the same time not much older than many of the local soldiers fighting on the front.

I left home and moved to South-East Asia at 16, after a long history of moving throughout my life. So by the time I landed in my first conflict zone I had already been around a bit. So I didn't just wake up one day and head to a conflict zone, I had found my way to plenty of sketchy places beforehand.

>>3876978
Cheers will add it to my list of poorly written text to fix.

>>3877006
Sadly this would without a doubt do a better job of spreading light on stories than I will do.

>>3877130
>>3877131
>>3877134

Whoever made these, thank you for taking the time to choose such flattering frame grabs hahahah.
But there is a little bit more going on under the softbox, and off camera in both cases ;)

>>3877137
>>3876960

It is good to know some people on /p/ have their heads screwed on. Do you think mirrorless has a future for pros?

>>
>>3877183
A typing corpse. Neat.
>>
>>3877172

Yeh, I have thought about it in the past. I have been a big fan of the 7D lineup for a long time. If I used two cameras at the same time, I think I would make the switch. Also, I think that the low light performance of canon's crop sensor cameras would need to make a big jump in performance before actually being used in such places.

>>
>>3877183
>the normal procedure (not what I do) would be to get everything else figured out by your fixer – essentially a tour guide for reporters who has all the right contacts.
That's great, those faggots who have everything arranged beforehand are usually very partial and end up acting as propagandists sometimes without even knowing they're tools
>>
>>3877187
>It is good to know some people on /p/ have their heads screwed on. Do you think mirrorless has a future for pros?
Maybe it does, but the way I see it there's nothing like reflex.
Mirrorless is a soulless appliance and often prioritizes shaving weight and size over everything so you get brittle garbage with a tendency to overheat, not to mention the problems with EVFs and battery life.
>>
>>3877025
how do you even manage to be so mad holy kek this is the funniest thread ever ive never seen such a mad poster before
>>
>>3877187
>I left home and moved to South-East Asia at 16
envious, wish i could have done the same but my over protective parents took my youth away. how did you move? did you find a job? broken home?
>>
File: kek.jpg (24 KB, 400x533)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>3877255
I've released my anger into the anger of more capable, more powerful, more violent hands. My work is done here. Good day.

Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image Width3024
Image Height4032
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2021:05:04 13:41:09
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Brightness2.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length4.25 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width400
Image Height533
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Date (UTC)2021:05:04
>>
>>3877272
this is /p/

how is it possible to take such a horrible picture of a time stamp? how????
>>
>>3877272
this timestamp holy shit anon is literally a potato
>>
>>3875013
Wow, I assume your uncle touched you in a bad way, and when you ran to daddy to rat him out, to much or your surprise, he did too :D don't respond if I'm right
>>
there should be a board pass to stop poll troglodytes
>>
>>3877274
>this is /p/
You answered your own question
>>
>>3874996
I've been close enough to conflict, as a photographer, to know that I never want to go there again. War is an industry and a business and a political dick contest and a manufactured illusion of various versions of power; and - perhaps worst of all - it's an ego-trip. It's certainly an ego trip for all of the photographers and journalists who go there to see it, almost all of whom are being deliberately and dangerously misled and morally and mentally butt-fucked. It's even an ego-trip and a funding-fight for the aid agencies that go along for the ride, which - for all of the good that they do (and some of them do a lot of good indeed) - are in active rivalry with one another for projects, prestige and money. Every war is a crime, every headline is a lie, and every dollar is dirty. So, do something useful with your life instead. Become a nurse or a teacher or a librarian or a bicycle mechanic. You'll always be doing something useful; and you'll never add to the hatred.
>>
File: images (8).jpg (35 KB, 554x554)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>3874996
so you've seen.. combat?
>>
>>3878497
>We don't want you creating a record of our atrocities, we saw how detrimental that was to pubic opinion during the Vietnam war.
>>
>>3874996
Have you ever had a camera die; and if so, why did it die? Has a camera ever surprised you by surviving something you expected to break it?
>>
>>3878524
war photography is only the apologia of the regime.
>>
>>3877130
>>3875251
I fucking knew it! Had to be a controlled light and portable setup and the soft light threw me off a bit, I'm used to smaller softboxes.
>>
File: Spy_taunt_laugh.png (193 KB, 432x709)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
>>3875299
the absolute state of fuji trannies
>>
>>3874996
do you shoot auto iso

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.