[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

The rule of thirds is arbitrary bullshit. The photo on the left isn't "worse" than the one on the right.
>>
>>3858443
a thread died for this
>>
>>3858445
Yes, that is how imageboards an forums work. If you care so much about threads on page 10, bump them. Otherwise they deserve to die.
>>
>>3858446
cringe
>>
>>3858448
>cringe
Is it summer already?
>>
>>3858443
Sure if you don’t know how to use it

>>3858446
>page 10
>not using the catalog
Do newfags really?
>>
>>3858449
cringe dslr user
>>
>>3858446
>page 10
you have to go back
>>
>>3858453
>>3858449
>>3858448
U mad
>>
Quality composition discussion.
Also the rule of thirds one is moderately better because the clouds are centered, the pillar one being the center breaks with this which is just as important as the pillar itself.
>>
>>3858451
mirrorless has the overlay, but most DSLR don't have a rule of thirds overlay.
>>
>>3858475
Just press the i key to cycle through them moron, I used it to align the horizon all the time. Are you the same idiot who claimed the D5300 didn't have histograms?
>>
I like the left side better too. I think rule of thirds is more applicable regarding details within a subject, portraits for example. Golden ration may work better for landscape.
>>
rule of thirds also applies to the whole columns and rows (the subject on the left photo is in the center third column in this case)
both images follow the rule of thirds, but the left is the one that does it correctly.
Right is the mongobongo version most people think the rule describes.

Actually a good thread. Rule of thirds is heavily misunderstood by the visually illiterate and unwashed masses.
>>
>>3858443
>arbitrary bullshit
please detail your algorithm which outputs a metric by what constitutes a good photo versus bad.
>>
>>3858475
>needs an overlay
>>
>>3858479
I mean in the viewfinder. I thought live view was a meme, you seriously do that?
>>
>>3858501
>I thought live view was a meme
It is but some faggots do it just because they can.

Both images are naf but the right one is a little less naf than the left
>>
>>3858501
It's actually an amazing tool, specially coupled with a swivel screen.
>>
>>3858443
right is better because you don't have that big cliff/boulder fighting for your attention like on the left.
>>
>>3858443
Applying 'rule of thirds' to everything would be as limiting as placing every subject to center. Plenty good photos match one or other or neither.

The centered stone dildo looks like background for a missing subject. I myself often have that trouble when I try to snap a landscape. Try vertical composition if you want to make it the center subject.
>>
In general you should avoid putting gigantic phallic subjects in the middle of of your frame. Left is what I see when I look down and see my crinkly brown dick standing proud.

But yes, the rule of thirds is a meme and so are all "composition" tricks. 99% of it is just dad photography tier shit to get idiots to think about the entire frame. The reality is the vast majority of composition happens well within the frame, rather than in relation to its edges. It's the interplay of light and shadow. It's the layering of information and subjects. It's foreground, midground, background. It's atmospheric perspective and color theory and contrast and texture and more than you could learn in ten lifetimes.

It is not which intersection of thirds you decided to place the only thing that's worth looking at in your photo.
>>
>>3858443

It is.
>>
>>3858565
Don’t forget the microcontrast
>>
>>3858445
This.
>>3858450
>not using the catalog
Page 1 is the landing page for lurkers and posters.
>>3858443
Both examples are correct. Please educate yourself, because rule of turd is BASIC https://fstoppers.com/architecture/ultimate-guide-composition-part-one-just-say-nokeh-31359
>>
>>3858497
>please detail your algorithm which outputs a metric by what constitutes a good photo versus bad.
Absolutely BASED measure theory chad
>>
>>3858443
Both pics suck but the right one has too much dark and empty on the side
>>
File: stan_nose_pinch.png (214 KB, 432x458)
214 KB
214 KB PNG
The rule of thirds is connected to the common patterns of eye movement when a human brain is looking to establish depth of field and content.

Its not "arbitrary" in any way.

Artists and scientists have been aware of it for centuries and aesthetic science, psychologists and neuroscientists have all agreed and written at length about how it directly relates to common brain activities when confronted with a framed image.
>>
>>3858615
>>3858494
correct
>>
>>3858580
I too draw the conclusion that both shots are bad.

>>3858565
>The reality is the vast majority of composition happens well within the frame, rather than in relation to its edges
Yes, and yet, if you follow the right image purely along the edges, it becomes obvious how poorly the left image is framed. The left frame doesn't have one edge at endings and transitions, cuts off the stripes in the sky, and puts the focus on the foreground, the bottom left corner, instead of well inside the frame. Considering the right shot now there's one that's almost framed within the frame.
Yet with the one on the right, I wonder, what is the counterpoint to the phallus boulder? Why does the shot have so much weight to the left, while nothing really matters on the right? Oh yes, the sky only and thus disturbing void in the right.
However, giving the boulder empty space on the right is better than centering it or placing it on the right side of the frame. With the shadow on the left and the light edge on the right, the boulder "looks to the right".

So how would I improve the shot? I'd want another subject in the direction of the boulder's gaze. The sun and the fleecy clouds on the right center could easily make that, still well off the edge of the image in my opinion, not on the edge, and they need to be prominent and send the viewer on a path through the image, the crown of clouds, the phallus, a clue or a vignette bottom right corner. Since the phallus is part of the subject, I'd have a key light on it, too, not on the horizon in the center of the frame. Even a landscape shot has an action, "tells a story". That would be mine to it.
>>
>>3858494
"visually illiterate and unwashed masses"
And the award for most pretentious asshole goes to..
>>
>>3858638
you
>>
>>3858634
>So how would I improve the shot?
just add white borders to it and it will become art. Or at least that's what isi believes.
>>
>>3858639
you
>>
>>3858443
>The rule of thirds is bullshit

>Posts 2 photos that follow the rule of thirds

Jesus Christ you're dumb.
>>
>>3858443
The rule of thirds is a guideline, not an absolute requirement.

People will like your instagram thots/chads without you zealously placing the left breast in one third and the other in the other third.
>>
>>3858443
Do you have autism?

Photography "rules" aren't strict requirements, they're just guidelines.
>>
>>3858443
It's not obligatory to follow it but more likely than not, it will deliver good results.
>>
>>3858720
It's more like if you can't come up with a better composition, falling back on the rule of thirds will yield something acceptable
>>
>>3858445
fpbp
>>
It’s a rule for new fags and you can tell some of them have no personal ideas of their own because I know more than a few people who shoot rule of 1/3rds only. You immediately spot someone pretending they’re talented or have the vision when they shoot exclusively like that. It’s a fine rule but it’s not a rule id live and die by. It’s cookie cutter rule shit made up so your professor and people teaching courses can sound professional and smart.
>>
>>3858494
>rule of thirds also applies to the whole columns and rows (the subject on the left photo is in the center third column in this case)
>both images follow the rule of thirds, but the left is the one that does it correctly.
>Right is the mongobongo version most people think the rule describes.

explain it further for my mongobongo brain then because the one on the right is what ive been taught
>>
>>3858443
>The photo on the lest isn't "worse" than the one on the right.
It is, and not because of rule of thirds.
The clouds look like dogshit on the left but look nice on the right because you get to see more of their pattern without such an abrupt ending due to poor framing.

Rule of thirds is just a guideline in genera. Centering a subject in a photo is literally fine but you have to keep in mind other elements or you'll wind up with trash like the left in your example. If you can't understand that, you'll be forever taking shit photographs.
>>
>>3858567
t. overcorrected kid
>>
>>3858443
>The photo on the left isn't "worse" than the one on the right.
You're right. They both have tilted horizons, so they are both equally trash.
>>
>>3858450
If they were on the brink of falling off of page 10 it's because they didn't get enough bumps to survive or were close to bump limit you dumb reddit fuck. Learn how an imageboard works and look up what an archive is before acting retarded online.
>>
>>3858443
what kind of rule of thirds you think you follow with a tilted horizon line?
>>
>>3859761
The lines of thirds shouldn't go through the subject, but should rather edge it (i think, someone clarify coz im a noob)
>>
>>3861057
Composition rules are guidelines about what often looks good. Not recipes with exact measures.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.