[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Hi newfag to photography here. Any advice for what type of laptop or requirements for image editing software like Lightroom? Would be cool to play civilization or other computer games on there as well.
>>
>>3856261
The one you have with you
>>
>>3856261
If you ask me?
Get a "gaming" laptop that has a discrete GPU. This will allow you to use GPU acceleration in software that enables it.
Otherwise, just get a MacBook...
You're probably better off looking at /g/ for this though. Tell them you are looking at something to do hardware accelerated rasterisation rendering.
>>
>>3856273
I'm a phone/tablet poster, I currently do not own a laptop
>>
>>3856287
Any suggestions on the model of gaming laptop/GPU?
>>
>>3856261
the Lenovo Legion looks interesting, and cheap compared to similarly spec'd business laptops as they're trying to break into the gaming market
>>
>>3856336
I have a personal preference towards Clevo.
It's not for everyone though. That said, I think you should probably go for a laptop equipped with a GPU that's like... The GTX 1660 or... better.
You know what? I don't know anymore. I tuned out of GPU stuff around the time bitcoin and other crypto miners fucking ruined the market. They're on what... The 3000 series of Nvidia cards now? Idk... just get yourself a laptop with a mid range GPU and you should have 0 issues with image rasterisation.
>>
>>3856261
Dell XPS would be your best bet. The screen for this kind of stuff is very important. Even a 2017 XPS 9560 with i7-770HQ+1050TI would do.
>>
>>3856261
Get a modern CPU with at least AMD Zen 2 or one of the Intel 10nm ones. Dedicated GPU is good.

Also look into other software than LR if you're concerned about performance, Adobe products are infamous for terrible optimization and not making use of modern multicore CPUs.
>>
File: 4chan g.jpg (161 KB, 736x460)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>3857962
Oh and make sure the display is good.
Many GAYMUR laptops have terrible TN screens that have high refresh rates, but awful colors.

Having a strong laptop for color-sensitive work is useless if the panel can't even display those colors correctly.
>>
>>3856318
use ipad, i use ipad
>>
>>3856337
I still use my Lelnovo gaymen laptop from 2012 to edit, the plastic casing has cracks on the heat outlet though.
>>
>>3856261
To what extent is a laptop important? The new M1 mac would edit photos fine, is highly portable, so long as you can count on a TV to plug into (you can use a bt keyboard & mouse). I'd say smaller than a laptop, actually.
>>
>>3857979
pls do not
>>
>>3856336

Sadly Adobe doesn't like Radeon cards that much, you're best of getting a laptop with an nvidia card.
>>
>>3858558
literally better than any laptop equivalent incl macbooks
>>
>>3856261
MBA if hobby/small amount at a time, 16" MBP for anything more
>>
>>3857979
iPad reeks of ass for managing the many files you may download from Adobe.
>>
>>3858511
I got a Legion 520 and for some reason it runs slower than it used to be, can't even run League without slowing down and sometimes has hiccups on lightroom, idk why I even upgraded the Ram to 16gb DDR4.
i7 7700hq and 1050ti 4gb should be plenty.
>>
>>3858810
>macbooks
>laptops that throttles to 0.8 GHz under load because the cooling system is so inadequate
yeah no
>>
>>3856261
Last year I got a
Lenovo Ideapad S540 81SW003FHV
with an I5-8265u + 8gb + 1650 MaxQ 4gb for like $999 and its pretty nice as it looks fairly professional and has an SD Card reader, also its really easy to get replacement parts for it online.

>>3856337
Dont get Legion, its build quality is utter shit, one of my friends had one and brought it to me for fixing (he had it for like 4 months) and after a week of fuckery it turned out that the graphics card failed... Lenovo shouldve covered it but for somewhat reason didnt... Also the fan orientation + plastic caseing could end up in really bad melting or cracking.
>>
>>3858821
My MBA can't even watch 1080p60fps lmao
>>
>>3858794
as long as you watch the meme tutorials one yt and follow them yea... Try doing some professional work on it. I'm saying that while having one, its very gimmicky and useless, its good for consooming and drawing tho.
>>
>>3858830
What? I got a Legion (>>3858813)
Poor file maintenance aside (both drives are full) it's been the best laptop I've had for the past 3 years, the fan blows out the back, never overheats nor plastic warps, I wish it was slimmer but it is a gaming laptop after all, it doesn't get hot anywhere near the palm rest.

Touchpad is the one thing that it's starting to look worn, otherwise, the laptop looks as good as new, never misses a beat (i never shut it off, just sleep mode) screen could be brighter and battery life could also be better (lasts 3-4 hours 3 years later).
>>
>>3858831
That's funny, it works on mine
>>
>>3856261
6core cpu
At least 8 gb ram
Dedicated gpu
Very important a decent ips display
>>
>>3856287
Make shure it has ops display
>>
>>3858835
i'm a working photographer and i do all my work and personal editing on affinity photo m8, it's an excellent medium
>>
>>3858837
IDK it could be only specific models then. So far Ive seen 2 of them and both were faulty and badly designed (2019ver and 2020).
>>
>>3857979
Is it possible to use an entry level ipad for some light portrait editing like editing skin (pimples)? I can't bring my laptop with me everywhere, and the phone screen is too small to do it easily
>>
I've been eyeing this one to replace my Asus in the future
>https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-series/conceptd5pro
Yeah or nay?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1441
Image Height801
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2019:10:24 20:44:13
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1440
Image Height800
>>
>>3859098
Yeah, only thing lacking is a bigger screen really and apple pencil support
>>
>a /g/ thread on /p/
my dream has come true

The most important metric for photo editing would probably how accurate the screen's color gamut is.
Laptops generally have trash color reproduction because they cheap out on the screens or make them gayymer trash with 240hz of refresh rate at 1920x1080 so you can play counter strike.
The 3 standards worth knowing are sRGB, AdobeRGB, DCI P3.
sRGB is the bare minimum you need that over 100% for even passable colors.
AdobeRGB is a good medium standard, if you can get this at 100% you have solid color representation.
DCI-P3 is the industry perfection standard, at 100% you have picture perfect colors. You'll only find this at 100% on the highest end of laptops, usually OLED screens. (razer blade 15)

Most important thing is budget, give me a budget and I'll give you a laptop, but if you're just browsing generally I suggest anything with an oled or amoled screen because those will generally have the best color reproduction, something like a HP Spectre x360 13 is great.
Aside from that specs don't matter, any modern toaster processor can change colors in a 2d image you don't need gaymer shit for photo editing
If you really want to cheap out just get the cheapest tower you can find and a separate solid monitor.
>>
>>3859098
yea for sure, removing pimples etc can be done in free apps too with clone tools

>>3859123
new ones have apple pencil 1 support, gf uses the 6th gen currently for weeb art
>>
>>3859105
I suggest nay, 100% AdobeRGB color representation is nice but as a "Creator laptop" it doesn't even how it fares on the dci-p3 gamut which is a big red flag to me.
The screen is 4k which is good but the fact its LCD/LED is not a good sign for the dci-p3.
>>
>>3859144
Where do you look up color info and reccomodations for screens and laptops?
I was looking for some smaller full-hd or 2k screens around 23" or only slightly larger with good gamut
>>
Literally any fucking duo core laptop produced in say the last 6 years is powerful enough to run some filters over your photos. It's not video editing.
>>
>>3859188
Gotta google, it's generally not marketing material unless they hit high numbs in the gamut they're trying to hit.
For a good balance I'd suggest a dell xps 15
100% Adobe RGB and 94% DCI-P3 color gamut, for about $1100usd and enough processing power to handle whatever you throw at it. More for the 4k version which is probably a good idea for photo editing.
>>
>>3859123
>>3859147
Thank you anons for your answers

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.