[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I’m a complete retard shooting in full auto mode into jpgs and my only lens is a 50mm prime

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width232
Image Height217
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
You could have searched on YouTube for: "How to use my DSLR" and get a better explanation.

Read the manual, learn what each mode does then go out there and try out different changes in the different modes.

Or better yet, watch a youtube video. C'mon.
>>
>>3854936
So here’s the problem, I did read the manual and I watched countless YouTube videos on how to use aperture priority, shutter priority, and use other settings specific to the camera.

The problem is, I don’t know what settings to actually use....I feel like I was put into the cockpit of an Apache helicopter and told to fly

Shutter priority is completely over my head. Aperture priority I understand more, but I’m never sure of which aperture to pick, other than “open it all the way when it’s dark” and that’s not even getting into specific things on the camera like the different focus modes etc...and THATS not even getting into the fact I’m not sure where I’d even start when it comes to editing a raw file

This shit is too complicated tbqh. I can see why people buy Fuji cameras and just shoot in jpg. I need a manual or book that breaks this down for my midwit IQ so I can “get” it
>>
>>3854939
how well do you understand this exposure triangle?
OP im so fkn bored rn, I will literally hop on a discord call with you and explain everything to you

also a nikon shooter btw :^)

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Windows)
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:03:25 08:15:33
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width800
Image Height713
>>
File: NKG_6590.jpg (1.13 MB, 2048x1638)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D780
Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 4.1 (Windows)
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern792
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)85 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2021:04:03 22:28:57
Exposure Time1/2500 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating140
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length85.00 mm
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3854941
I vaguely understand it but it hasn’t “clicked” for me in terms of putting it into practice. I get how iso works, if you have a lot of light you don’t need high iso, I get how aperture works, the smaller the number the more light goes in..and I also get shutter speed, longer expose let’s more light in

I get all of this “theoretically” but I have a tough time putting it into “practice” to the point where I can just go out and take some damn photos

Also I greatly appreciate the offer and would take you up on it but I’m tied up with family right now, should I just buy photography for dummies?
>>
>>3854941
He doesn't need to know how the exposure triangle works if he uses exposure compensation and one of the modes.

OP, you open the aperture as you see fit, and compensate with ISO or shutter speed. You want thin DoF? Open up your lens, you want to freeze the moment? Set your aperture to auto and switch your shutter speed to something above 1/60, let your ISO be adjusted by the camera.

Again, trying out things is the best way to go about this, try using only Aperture priority for a while and leaving the rest in auto, then go into shutter priority and leave the other stuff in auto, experiment and you'll start to understand how it all comes together.

Purpose of course matters, buy
>>
shoot in m
learn from your mistakes
>>
>>3854955
Why would I want to use shutter priority over aperture priority? I can understand why you’d want to pick your own aperture and have the camera compensate but not why you’d want to make shutter a priority
>>
>>3854950
that's an ok start

so generally we try and keep our ISO as low as possible right?

so why don't we shoot at ISO 100 all the time? well things in our environemnt and our subject will give us constraints with shutter speed and aperture

Here's an example:

say im shooting a concert, and I want to make sure I'm freezing motion, so I don't get any motion blur. I need to use a high shutter speed, somewhere around 1/500th of a second.
Im shooting with an 85mm f1.8 prime. Now I'm pretty much gonna keep my shutter speed as is, but to make sure I get more light in, I'm gonna open up my aperture. I probably wont shoot wide open at f1.8 because the depth of field will be a bit too shallow, so I stop down to f2.8. Now, I point my camera at the stage and the lightmeter in the viewfinder is telling me I'm underexposed by about 5 stops, and my ISO is set at 100 - because my shutter speed and aperture are set, I'll raise my ISO 5 stops to 3200 - and boom, I've properly exposed my photo.

Don't just think about it in terms of amount of light, but also understand what else shutter speed and aperture do for you.

>>3854958
use shutter priority if you care about controlling motion blur, and want your camera to compensate differences in exposure by changing the aperture for you

use aperture priority if you care about controlling depth of field and want your camera to compensate differences in exposure by changing the aperture for you

You can also shoot in manual mode, control both aperture and shutter speed, and turn on auto ISO and let the camera change the ISO to expose the image for the shutter and aperture settings you've selected.
>>
File: DSC_4819.jpg (2.71 MB, 5042x3361)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
>>3854965
also attaching a pic

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D500
Camera SoftwareAdobe Lightroom 4.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern812
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2020:12:21 22:53:11
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1000
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeOther
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessSoft
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3854956
This. There is no better way to learn about DoF/shutter/ISO than to practice in manual.
Bonus : you don't even have to go out just to test your settings
>>
>>3854958
Maybe Auto settings are giving you blurry pics and you don't care going overboard with ISO.

Maybe you want to freeze the moment even more (someone running, a car, a bike, a bird) and even at 1/120, they still come out slightly blurry.

Cameras normally have a max iso setting, don't limit it to 1600 or 3200, let it go to the max while you learn.
>>
>>3854976
> let it go to the max while you learn

What are the benefits of this? I thought limiting iso in camera settings was good even if you’re new
>>
>>3855007
Generally yes it's best to keep ISO low but getting the right exposure is better than not getting it, or getting a blurry pic when you didn't intend to get one.

If your vision was to capture a flying bird or a running dog, i think it's acceptable to have a grainy pic VS a blurry one.
>>
>>3855011
Oh I see. Also, low ISO makes your picture blurry? I thought it would just make it not have enough light
>>
>>3855024
Low ISO doesn't make your image blurry

>>3854955
This guy saying you don't need to know the exposure triangle is objectively wrong.

Say you're trying to take a photo of a fast moving bird. You want to use a high shutter speed to freeze the motion of the bird (no blurriness), so you set your shutter speed to 1/500. Say the lens your using has a min aperture of f5.6, so you're probably not going to change that. Your camera is telling you your image will be underexposed, so you raise your ISO - this introduces more noise, or 'grain' into your image but assuming you get the bird in focus you have an image of a bird, frozen in flight, with some grain.

Now, in this situation, if you wanted to use a lower ISO, your image would come out too dark - so you lower the shutters speed. Less grain, but if the bird is moving fast, the wings might be blurry, etc. So low ISO doesn't introduce blur on it's own, but using a lower shutter speed will.

Does it make a bit more sense, how these settings relate to one another?
>>
>>3855024
Low iso makes it blurry in the sense that you'll be lacking enough light for a proper exposure, given the subject being something moving.

>>3855038
That's how I learned it, to this day I still haven't cared to learn how the exposure triangle works, yet I shoot in manual mode. It's stupidly complex IMO.
>>
>>3855043
>stupidly complex

It's objectively not, it's literally just the basics of how A/S/ISO work together to expose your photo

OP is asking how to use his camera, having a DSLR with full manual control lends itself to knowing how you expose a photo. If OP had a point and shoot camera then of course knowing the exposure triangle doesn't matter.
>>
>>3855058
Or he could take it bite sized and learn to use each of the other modes, i went that way instead of going balls deep into manual mode.
>>
>>3854939
just try it and learn as you go

it's not hard
>>
>>3854935
I shoot in A the vast majority of the time.
Aperture is the top priority for most pics I take.

This together with exposure compensation are the only two dials I really need.
Set a reasonable upper limit for Auto ISO and let it do its thing. You have to test your sensor to determine what "reasonable" is in your camera.
>>
>>3855268
I also do this, ISO 6400, 1/60 minimum shutter speed and off i go with the aperture.
>>
>>3854935
the nikkor 50 1.8 is dog shit. consider one of the sigma art or tamon stablised primes. you will see a big improvement. and unlike more modern cameras, you really need to shoot raw for the d700. its jpeg processing is terrible
>>
>>3855368
>consider a lens 3x heavier, costs as thrice and is a shit-tier performer in B&W
Might as well kill yourself while you go at it shilling plastic mount shit
>>
>>3855368
Doesn't matter is not Sigma Art quality, it's a novice learning tool.
>>
>>3854935
Throw it away and buy a film camera, it will force the retardness out of you
>>
>>3855368
Since when is the 1.8G shit? It has good reviews and doesn’t really look that much worse than the 1.4G
>>
>>3855368
Tbh D700 jpgs aren’t THAT bad.
>>
>Full auto?
Yes. You're retarded.

>Only SOOC JPG?
No. You're not a retarded.

>D700 with a 50mm only?
GOD's choice.
>>
>>3855409
>Since when is the 1.8G shit? It has good reviews and doesn’t really look that much worse than the 1.4G
It's not. He's just one of those assholes who think that a slightly lower score in an MTF chart that will never show up in real world photos makes a lens that's widely regarded as amazing "dog shit".
>>
>>3855411
>auto bad
go back
>>
>>3855416
>Be me
>DSLR purist, fuck mirrorcucks
>LCD screen always tucked in, useless crap
>Put on my photography jacket and cargo pants, strap big ass CANON/NIKON strap around my neck and attach to trusty blob looking DSLR
>See a scene, check EV: -1.8
>Soft through settings to bring it to 0

Miss shot, whatever, it'll work for the next one

>Next one, +2EV
>Be an idiot auto bad purist
>>
>>3855376
>>3855378
>>3855409
>>3855412
Nice cope. Try actually shooting with say a tamron 45 1.8 or sigma 50 1.4 art after using an ancient 50 1.8 and you'll see the d700 can turn out very competitive shots to modern full frame cameras. The 50 1.8 only has its cheap price and light weight going for it and if you care about weight while using a d700 you are a moron.
>>
>>3854935
Well the D700 does not have full auto or any "auto" so wtf have you been doing nigger
>>
File: 1617034368673.jpg (17 KB, 300x300)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>3855453
Kill youre are selfie gearnigger nophoto cumsponge.
>>
>>3855488
Stay mad and shooting grainy low iq crap I guess. Can't believe tamron would be considered too expensive for people on this board lmao
>>
File: 1617599946224.gif (388 KB, 387x285)
388 KB
388 KB GIF
>>3855493
Kill youre are selfie gearnigger nophoto smoothbrain cumsponge.
>>
>>3855488
>a nophoto calling another nophoto a nophoto in a nophoto thread
Only on /pee/
>>
>>3855287
why set a constant iso though
>>
File: canikony virgin.jpg (89 KB, 968x1378)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>3855422
kek

>>
>>3855488
>>3855494
>>
>>3855453
Why are you trying to sell OP on gear he didn't ask for ffs it's not a fucking gear thread he asked for help learning to use the camera, fuck you.

>>3855595
Sorry, not constant, it is max iso.
>>
>>3855649
read again, dickwad
>>
>>3855368
The Nikkor 50mm 1.8G is a very good, very sharp lens for the price. While the Sigma Art is sharper wide-open, there's no way the Nikkor is not out-resolving a D700's sensor at the middle apertures (f/4, f/5.6 etc). Your advice is only remotely applicable if you want to go around shooting at f/1.8 all day.
>>
>>3855702
Nah poor fags really over rate that lens and never try something good. Try it some time. I have. The nikkor can't compete.
>>
>>3855702
>out resolving
jfc op don't listen to this type of garbage
>>
>>3855416
Oh no, yes, you're right. How stupid am I to think that letting all settings automatic and just press a button isn't 'photography'? the camera of course knows exactly what my goals are. Damn I'm such a stupid prick and you're so smart.
Imagine didn't minding ISO, Shutter speed and diaphragm because the camera knows it all. Damn I love when I'm shooting at day light and my camera knows exactly that I want that pop-up flash just triggering at my subject flower in the garden or my cat sleeping at cool sunbeam spot.
>>
>>3855755
Imagine not using auto settings because a machine can't possibly nail the pic you want for most situations.
>>
>>3855762
Oh yes, you're so right!!! Damn what an amazing piece of brain do you have! So intelligent.
>>
>>3855453
>Try actually shooting with say a tamron 45 1.8 or sigma 50 1.4 art after using an ancient 50 1.8 and you'll see the d700 can turn out very competitive shots to modern full frame cameras
50mm designs reached a point of diminishing returns decades ago. Is a $400 lens going to give you better results than a $100 lens? Yeah, probably. Are the results gonna be noticeable in photos of things other than test charts, viewed at less than 100%? Nah, probably not.

With any normal-angle prime out there, the limiting factor in image quality is going to be the photographer, not the gear. There are no bad 50mm lenses, and certainly none are "dog shit". If you think so, my guess is that you don't actually take any photos and instead base all of your opinions on gear on looking at test images and MTF charts.

Can you post some actual pictures you've taken with one of the alternative normal lenses you're recommending?
>>
>>3855764
Amiright? These dumb computahs, we should have stayed in film baka
>>
Use only Manual mode, figure it out. It's not too hard, but don't be tough on yourself. Like, it's digital, if you make a mistake, just take another picture. There's a screen on the back to check if you did it right! The D700 screen is sort of tough to gauge in sunlight though, so turn on the histogram. You don't want a crunched histogram, with all the data on the far left (too dark) or far right (too bright), but a nice even bulge toward the middle. Exceptions to this of course, but it's a good rule of thumb.

As for basic exposure, if you're outside you can use the Sunny 16 rule, which is your shutter speed should equal the ISO you're using, with the aperture at f/16. From there you can do equivalent exposures. So at ISO 200, set to 1/200s @ f/16. Or 1/400s @ f/11. Or 1/800 @ f/8. Etc etc. If it's a cloudy or overcast day, then you can open up the aperture another stop or two. Again, this isn't film, so it doesn't cost you anything to make mistakes. Just shoot until you get images you're happy with! And have fun, photography is meant to be joyful, not stressful. Good luck and happy image-making!
>>
>>3854935
It just takes time and practice.
>>
>>3855755
It's counter-intuitive but for some daylight shots the flash actually does help.
>>
>>3855779
Yes, you're totally right. The computer knows everything.

>>3855832
Damn, another brain in the thread. BLESSED.

People on this thread must blessed to have access to such knowledge.
>>
File: 2odzzy.jpg (64 KB, 1296x1458)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>3855844
>>
>>3855849
Posting memes!!! hahahaha that's very funny! Post more, anon! You're truly improving the board.

Memes and knowledge? amazing!
>>
>>3855755
>How stupid am I to think that letting all settings automatic and just press a button isn't 'photography'?
Pretty stupid!

Photography is about things like light, color, composition, timing, perspective, angles, and a million other things. Yes, it’s also about exposure, but if you’re mostly just lining up the needle in the viewfinder to what the computer suggests anyway, you’re going to a lot of effort you don’t need to.

I shoot in a semi-auto mode most of the time (I don’t usually care about my shutter speed beyond making sure it’s “fast enough”; I don’t usually care about my ISO; aperture actually affects my final image in ways that I’d like to micromanage). I switch to full manual if I need something specific, and it’s definitely a good idea to know how to manually dial in your settings when you do need to, but for the most part, I’m happy to work with the auto modes.

If you think your main contribution to a photo is something that could be adequately automated by a little piece of 1970s-era technology, you’re probably a pretty shitty photographer.
>>
>>3855869
Oh no, you totally blew my mind with such well written argument about how I am a bad photographer.
An absolute professional I can see.
>>
Op did you learn something
>>
>>3855771
>Are the results gonna be noticeable in photos of things other than test charts, viewed at less than 100%? Nah, probably not.
Wrong. I have tried all these lenses and more. The new Tamron and Sigma stuff blows old Nikkor away. Try using them back to back on whatever camera you are using and you will quickly understand.
>>
>>3855963
Dude fuck off with gearfagging OP doesn't fucking need a new lens.
>>
>>3855963
So, post some example photos?
>>
>>3855963
>blows old Nikkor away
In RAW the Nikkor has the advantage of having softer bokeh, the Tamron has better contrast usually and the Sigma is sharp as a razor but the bokeh is nervous at times and the colors are colder.
OP picked a camera above his league and you want him to use a brick of a lens with the Sigma, let him use the Nikkor D and even fix the images as an exercise in post-process.
>>
>>3855702
Imagine buying a fast prime to shoot at f5.6
>>
>>3856065
>Need some field here to capture these people all in the same plane
>WHAT THE FUCK I CAN'T DO THAT IN 1.8
Keep sporting that projector lens, you arse bandit
>>
>>3856074
people like you should stick to the kit zooms and stop making gay larp threads on /p/
>>
>>3856078
You can't even use a kit zoom if you can't compose in small apertures, who are you kidding
>stop making gay larp threads
Not even the OP, i just entered to laugh at you drooling negroe face
>>
>>3854939
filtered
>>
>>3855963

>>3855981
This.
If the OP doesn't even understand how to operate his camera in the first place, do you really think a marginally better piece of glass is going to make his underexposed, shittily composed photo look any better?
>>
>>3854939
Download a D3x00 manual, I'm pretty sure they explain the basics in those.
But aperture controls depth of field and shutter blurs or freezes motion. ISO allows you to use your preferred aperture and shutter speed.
A mode lets you pick an aperture and automatically selects a shutter speed to match your exposure compensation.
S mode lets you pick a speed and adjusts the aperture to get you an exposure value depending on what you selected on exposure compensation.
You may leave the ISO at automatic or fix it. Higher ISO allows you to take pictures when the shutter is getting too slow or the aperture too narrow because of constraints (for example lenses can only open up so much, and if you're handholding or your subject is moving you may need to shoot with a faster shutter). Just don't shoot at super high shutter speed and then crank up the ISO unless you want low dynamic range and lots of noise.
>>
>>3856087
>I can't compose
sorry I can't help you
>>
>>3856204
OP is obviously just a troll, so who gives a fuck? much more constructive to talk about good gear then to pretend you're helping some 3c-per-post-pajeet
>>
>>3855476
nigga what do you think programmed auto mode is
>>
>>3855409
>>3855412
>>3855702
>50 1.8G
OPs pic and likely state of poverty, implies he's using the 50 1.8D, why are you gearfags suggesting he should buy the 1.8G instead?
>>
>>3856230
D700 + 50mm1.8D and only SOOC JPGs

that's pretty based. I might buy into it too
>>
>>3856230
>OPs pic
It's from Ken
>>
>>3854965
>his camera dosent have sv mode
>>
>>3856241
it's a comfy setup, I'd love to get the MF 50 1.8 pancake but MF confirmation isn't great
>>
>>3856245
What are Ken's thoughts on the 50 1.8D?
>>
>>3856209
Fuck you, there's clueless people in here, kys.
>>
>>3854965
>You can also shoot in manual mode, control both aperture and shutter speed, and turn on auto ISO and let the camera change the ISO to expose the image for the shutter and aperture settings you've selected.
Unless you have a Canon 5D2 lol, then "auto" in M is slang for "400".
>>
>>3856247
I have this lens here with a FG20 (what a wreck of a camera....) and you're right, the MF confirmation on the D700 isn't that great.. it's quite hard to get the focus...
>>
>>3856252
>f1.8
>1/50
>daylight
she'll be right?
>>
>>3856249
Op is very based and clearly knows good for him, jpeg is all you need.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm
>>
>>3856249
He says it's Nikon's most sharp lens and the best value for money.
>>
>>3856230
OP here. I have the 1.8G, not D. I DID think about getting the D though.
>>
>>3856281
sell the G, buy the D.

Reject Modernity. Embrace Tradition.
>>
>>3856285
Well no point in selling the G for the D when it’s only like $100 difference and most people like the images out of the G more anyway. Also the main reason I got the G was the focus motor is quieter, I mainly take family pictures with it and don’t want to sound like robocop
>>
>>3856184
Tbh I did get filtered
>>
>>3856290
>don’t want to sound like robocop
>compose
>silently focus
>*CLACKITY*CLACK*MIRROR*SLAP*
>viet vet uncle Joe goes into combat mode and starts shouting "Charlie, there's Charlie everywhere" starts slitting throats
Easter ruined by DSLR once again
>>
>>3854939
>I can see why people buy Fuji
>midwit IQ
yep, while i agree with this sentiment, more evidence this is an obvious troll thread, kys OP
>>
>>3856296
Why not go into LV mode and use electronic shutter?
>>
>>3856297
I was being facetious. And I said that because I had an x100f for a month. No need to be angry
>>
>>3856301
>E-shutter
>DSLR
>>
>>3856304
>DSLR boomers BTFO
>>
>>3856290
>most people like the images out of the G more anyway.
Most people are bottom of the barrel cum eating bastard cattle, shoot and make what YOU like
>don’t want to sound like robocop
Then why did you buy a camera that fits his style and wouldn't be out of place in his left hand you stupid gorilla
>>
>>3854935
If you are struggling with a prime you should just get a zoom.
>>
>>3854967
Why did you use a high fstop?!!!!! that background is super busy.
>>
>>3855410
IQ is the least of the worries of a newb

>>3855411
right
right
wrong
>>
>>3856313
DSLR are cheap used. They're great in good lighting
>>
>>3854935
D700 is pound for pound, the best DSLR ever
>>
>>3856290
>owning a D700 and worrying about noise

this camera is loud as fuck!
>>
>>3854935
Why is the D700 so popular now? I bought one after seeing the photos marat safin the coom photographer took and his shots are kino

is it early 2000s nostalgia?
>>
>>3858253
good colours; the aa filter isn't much visible due low resolution; solid camera; low dynamic range (compared to recent cameras) creates a much more pleasant contrast;
>>
>>3858253
>Why is the D700 so popular now?
Cheapest FF along with the 5D, tough as hell, can be imported with taxes not being much of a factor due to being older than a decade, good colors and can be used at ISO 3200 which is considered the minimum (i guess due to a filmfag idea).
>I bought one after seeing the photos of marat safin
You didn't buy Marat Safin's skill, you bought a camera
>>
>>3858253
It's always been popular among people who knew what's up.
As a casual shooter, even though I'd like it to have some extra features that modern cameras have it does have all the basics already, a near-perfect ergonomics (I would've liked the ISO button to be near the shutter tho), the AF focus has never failed me (except for the times I made a mistake myself), and, of course, the colours from the sensor are gorgeous, with some comfy ccd feel to them somehow. Raws are very much workable and the resolution is high enough for reasonable-sized prints. Finally, for sports, you have a 6 fps ratatata burst.
Honestly I could see myself upgrading to something like a d850 but does the price difference make it worth it for a poorfag amateur when they've lenses to invest in anyway? Meanwhile for many years nikon's low-end ff dslrs (600, 610, df) were literally downgrades in everything except megapickles. D750 was probably the first one that wasn't an embarrassment (and if one counts the amount of recalls for it, it actually is too).

Oh and another nice thing about it being an old and cheap camera is that you're not afraid to risk take it with you to environments you wouldn't bring a shiny new one to — and actually get the shots. It's rugged enough to survive a lot of punishment anyway.
>>
>>3858276
>You didn't buy Marat Safin's skill, you bought a camera
Halfway towards being Marat Safin
>>
Marat Safin is a hack. Goes in all fields.
>>
>>3858294
>CCD feel
You mean strong CFA
>>
>>3858308
That's true, but you would still be half way into being a hack

>>3858310
She's a conservative portraitist, a good one but a complete fart huffer, just because most chick/current portraits are heavily tattooed and caked up nappy niggers and fat minorities by degenerate photogs doesn't mean she's breaking ground with simple no-makeup (debatable) models, she's just doing what the old ones did decades ago.
>>
>>3858294
>you're not afraid to risk take it with you to environments you wouldn't bring a shiny new one to
Those who import and stick a good lens in them are literally walking around with used car money in their hands. Third world country shooters are not lucky at all in that regard, and finding another means importing again.
If they weren't gearfags they would shoot a decent PnS, except those are also rare other than the bottom of the barrel shit.
>>
anyone wanna trade their d700 for my d800
>>
I googled who Marat Safin was... seriously that shit got you into the D700??? absolute low standard...
>>
>>3858331
>She's a conservative portraitist,
marat is a guy. his photos are just naked hot 18-20 year olds. he once posted a pic with a cumshot. what are you talking about
>>
>>3858331
>>3858310
how is he a hack
>>
>>3858373
I thought it was a she? i read an interview and she talks a lot of mumbo jumbo for just being a good portraitist stylistically from the 70's.
I don't think she's bad at all but it left me a bad impression, perhaps i am confusing it with someone else, i am thinking of a russian with a D700 and a 1.4 D that takes soft pictures of redheads.

>>3858372
Then it's probably not the one i am thinking of, apologies, the ones i've seen are not naked (if anything they are clothed for winter) and certainly not posing with fluids, it's just freckles, wild hair and wilderness.
>>
>>3858353
Shutter count?
>>
>>3856213
it has shutter priority and aperture priority, and ofc manual.
>>
>>3854935
>buying a dslr in 2021
>>
>>3858410
>i am thinking of a russian with a D700 and a 1.4 D that takes soft pictures of redheads.
he does do this too. are you sure it's not him? most of his nsfw pics are only visible if you login to flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/maratsafin/
>>
>>3858476
If so then i fucked my own shit up. I read about such photographer about a year ago, i recall one picture being a girl on a subway with a 85mm 1.8D, pretty decent shot too although posed. Then read some of his fluff and didn't like his mojo.
>login to flickr
Yeah probably why i didn't see them if we are talking the same. If he's the one i mention then he has a very girly eye/trained with fashion photography. Honestly i don't recall so much skin, also found that subway picture and it was a 50mm 1.4D in the Flickr.
Guess i was deeply wrong.
>>
>>3858486
>also found that subway picture and it was a 50mm 1.4D in the Flickr.
link to pic?

>hen read some of his fluff and didn't like his mojo.
what did the person say that didn't vibe with you
>>
>>3858427
~60k
>>
>>3858342
>Those who import
>Third world country shooters are not lucky at all in that regard, and finding another means importing again.
I'm not exactly from the first world myself and haven't heard about importing pains at all. They sell used d700s here aplenty, the prices being circa $300 for 100k, <$500 for 10k, opened mint for $700ish. Add a 24-85 for $200 and you gor yourself an everyday combo. I fancy it with a 80-200 though, which sells for <$400 used these days. Thus, an ok setup can be made for ~$1100.

>literally walking around with used car money in their hands
Well, kind of, but the offers one gets for that much money are time bombs on wheels. If your camera breaks down or is stolen, you've now poorer and have your mood ruined. If your car falls apart (almost happened to a friend of mine, axle started detaching while on a highway) you have anything from a bad day and towing fees to a problem at work to being stranded in the middle of nowhere at -30C to dying in a fireball.
Everyone I know doesn't buy anything below at least $8k, with a low odometer or new. Are you from NA by chance? The car culture there seems so different, with everyone getting their licenses asap, own cars at 18 and so on, whereas my best friend is 30, works a well-paying job, has had the license for over a decade but is yet to get a car, granted we live in a city with a decent public transport infrastructure. I don't know much about cars, but having visited Craigslist there's some good looking ones, though the mileage on everything is nuts. Still, a 2003 Civic for $1k with 77k miles seems like a decent deal. Found one for twice the price with twice the mileage here, and unlike dslrs cars are definitely a doozy to import.

Also found this:
>Car needs new Transmission
>When cold it can drive a few yards but after it warms nothing happens. A kid drove it and i think he had it in low hear.
>Engine good, ac cold, tires good
>NEEDS TOWED
kekd
>>
>>3858572
Based schizo poster
>>
>>3858572
What country
>>
>>3858709
Russia.
>>
>>3854935
sell it and buy a D40

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.