[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 57 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Anybody else here do drone photography? What do you fly, post your pics?
I'm gonna grab some breakfast and fly around in this shitty overcast morning, anything you guys wanna see pics of?
>>
>>3847664
Aaah fuck it's a bit rainy. Might be decent enough to fly in a bit though.
Really no drone pilots here?
>>
File: shitpic1.jpg (1.7 MB, 2048x1424)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>3847673
Yeah it's pretty low visibility out there, but I took a couple shitpix from a relatively low altitude. Eh decent enough practice at least.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
File: shitpic2.jpg (1.88 MB, 2048x1517)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>3847713
Definitely a mood out there, I just wanna take a nap.

>>
File: DJI_0850.jpg (41 KB, 1280x800)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
I do when it's not a shitty rainy windy day (i'm in Ireland) but it kidna blows 90% of the time.

Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Width4025
Image Height3015
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution120 dpi
Vertical Resolution120 dpi
Image Created2019:06:24 23:36:51
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Focal Length4.50 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2048
Image Height1441
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: previous shitpic.jpg (1.21 MB, 1350x1080)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>3847723
lol I smells you, Ireland's not known for its clear skies. also no way is that legal where you are, is it?

>>
File: DJI_0786.jpg (362 KB, 1600x1198)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
>>3847728
eh it wasn't that high, it's just a fog.
Here's the motorway during peak hours in first lockdown. This used to be PACKED.
>>
File: lighthouseshitpic.jpg (3.91 MB, 2984x2238)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB JPG
>>3847733
Nice. It was about the same in Boston and New England in general about a year ago, but everything's packed all the time and relatively back to normal now. Unfortunately.

>>
File: DJI_0861_.jpg (453 KB, 1600x1138)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
Here's one of my favourites. This photo caused quite a stir in one of the groups. People thought i was at like 3000ft height, but again it's just an illusion. This is actually very low. It's an erosion created in sea bed by ebb.
>>
Is the Mavic Pro 2 worth it now? It's from 2017, shouldn't there be a 3 soon? Any other in the same class that's worth considering?
>>
>>3847774
2018 and it's totally worth it because big sensor good. Theres a reason their price barely dropped since launch. Nothing can compete against it.
>>
>>3847774
It’s good though if you’re into video it has 4k/30 max
The air 2 has full 4k/60 but a smaller sensor
The pro 2 has a 1 inch sensor like a rx100 series
>>
>>3847765
why do people get so pissy about the height? oh boo hoo I broke some arbitrary restriction when no one was around
>>
>>3847784
>>3847781
Is there a "high-res mode"? Or have to do that manual with stitching?
>>
File: DJI_0130001-001res.jpg (898 KB, 1200x674)
898 KB
898 KB JPG
>>3847774
It's worth looking for phantom 4 pro, it has the same sensor and lens, just branded differently. Great deal for around 1k, if you can still find one. 2.0 is a bit costly for what it offers. Still, both fare slightly better than Mavic 2 pro in video department. Cooling on Mavic 2 isn't as good, so it can exhibit pixel binning throttling. Pixel peeping differences, normal users rarely notice this.
>>
>>3847789
because at a certain point you're possibly endangering manned aircrafts and 400ft is about 100 feet lower than the lowest most helis and planes fly most of the time.
>>
File: 1600603093550.jpg (415 KB, 910x906)
415 KB
415 KB JPG
>>3847843
how much gatekeeping does the DJI software do? will it prevent you from flying in a no-fly zone?
for example, home is 7 miles from airport, but at the faaaaar edge of the approach corridor ... will the DJI/GPS refuse to go because I might be in that zone?
>>
>>3847868
I fly in controlled airspace with authorization all the time and have not hit any hard geofencing yet. The most it asked me was to confirm that I know what I'm doing. The area surrounding LAR isn't a no fly zone, the immediate area is just controlled airspace, all you have to do is get prior authorization. Check the FAA's UAS map over here
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9c2e4406710048e19806ebf6a06754ad
>>
>>3847789
Self appointed rule enforcers
>>
>>3847875
well we care about the hobby and the more people fly like dipshits and more incidents happen, the more likely the public perception shifts and new even stricter rules are put into place. It takes one or two retards to ruin it for everyone else. You'll understand when you're older.
>>
>>3847829
is 20 pickles not enough for ye?
>>
File: P200704-0467.jpg (727 KB, 1000x750)
727 KB
727 KB JPG

Camera ModelFC3170
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating1130
Shutter Speed1/5 sec
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Focal Length4.50 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
>>
File: Gip5WCd.jpg (515 KB, 2048x1463)
515 KB
515 KB JPG
>>3847664
>>3847774
Yes due to the sensor size. Besides the lack of 4k 60fps its still the go to drone. Get the air 2 if you shoot more video.
>>
File: 1609814392639.jpg (750 KB, 864x1080)
750 KB
750 KB JPG

Camera ModelFC7203
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 (Windows)
Image Created2020:09:26 00:09:57
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.00 m
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash Function
Focal Length4.49 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: 1609807221750.jpg (4.14 MB, 2048x2048)
4.14 MB
4.14 MB JPG
>>
>>3847789
Because (at least in the us) any drone over 250 grams in weight has to be registered with the FAA and supposedly by 2023 those registered drones have to be geologged so they can see just how high you’re flying
https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/28/22203398/faa-remote-id-rules-location-night-over-people
And some areas have hight restrictions coded into your gps location so the drone physically cant go higher than the max height for the area
>>
File: DJI_0252.jpg (1.85 MB, 1651x1651)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>
>>3847882
It's not
>>
>>3847868
You can see the restriction in the app, you get a warning, but you can still fly it. https://www.dji.com/si/flysafe/introduction Dji drones are also altitude locked. They can be hacked to remove this, and it only effects height from the controller, so if you would release from the top of Eiffel Tower, it'd consider that as zero height.

>>3848040
Those rules are for the future. Drones on the market today don't adhere by them. It actually wouldn't be hard for DJI to implement them, but they're probably just ignoring the rules so people will have to buy new models later.
>>
File: DSC_9555-1.jpg (78 KB, 1200x799)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>3847664
Can't decide between the following when choosing the first drone.
—Mavic Mini. Cheapest of the bunch, can easily afford the fly more combo. Maybe buy new. Wifi controls sound shifty, keep reading about the EU version losing connection easily because of interference. There's hacks to change the band for an FCC approved one but all of them are inconvenient. Can charge the battery with a powerbank (same for mini 2).
—Mini 2. Tighter controls due to better batteries, better controller reception (it's bulkier though). The camera hardware is the same but they simply unlocked the 4k video and raw, feels like I'm being jewed. Besides the tiny lens and noisy sensor probably can't resolve it past 2.7k. There's some new basic versions available for around the cost of the mini1 fly more combo.
—Air. Would've gone for this one but am being held back by how noisy it is, don't like attracting unnecessary attention in rural but not desolate areas. Also unlike the 25+ min on the ones above, it only stays up for like 18 tops. Dig the tracking feature even though I probably wouldn't be using it much, being a solo autist who isn't a narcissist either. Again feel jewed by the lack of this feature on the other two. Extra collision detectors are nice to have. SOOC stuff looks better exposed and the white balance is usually just right, unlike the minis, though the photos seem softer (the dpreview samples look atrociously soft actually, other resources have better ones). Can get one used for the price of a slightly used mini + fly more combo, or like $60 less than the new mini 2 (or a new mini1+fly more).
From there on, Air 2 looks even more lucrative but probably too pricey.
I've mostly been casually shooting landscapes. Not much stuff with humans in it. Maybe it will change eventually. Exclusively photos up to now, but would like to expand to videos.
Does anyone have experience with the drones mentioned above? Preferably with more than one. If so, please do share.
>>
>>3848543
I have a Mini and an Air 2. Get a Mini 2 if you don't want to spend the money on an Air 2. Although there will be some pretty decent deals until the Air 2S comes out.

I don't know, I really like the Air 2 personally, the anti collision cameras and the ADS-B in sensor are super nice when you're flying in a dense area or in like a city and the drone takes some pretty nifty videos. It's also considerably more stable in wind than a mini. I can take it out in winds that I wouldn't fly a mini in because it's just too light and will get knocked around.
>>
>>3848530
>it only effects height from the controller, so if you would release from the top of Eiffel Tower, it'd consider that as zero height.
Which is exactly as it should be, since the legal altitude restrictions are relative to the highest point in the area.
>>
are we expecting a new drone release this year? I thought about getting the Mavic pro 2 as my first drone, but worry that I'll get fucked by there being a new release. I am willing to wait if one is due soon
>>
>>3849168
Sony might release their drone sometime towards the end of the year.
Autel's coming out with an upgrade to their existing line I think Evo 2.
There's gonna be a Mavic Air 2S later this year as well.
Honestly if you don't have an itch to get a drone right now, wait a couple months.
>>
>>3848320
Then maybe you should think more about improving your photography rather than chasing the latest and the grratest.
>>
>>3849017
Thanks for the info. Kind of surprised you prefer the old mini having the option to use the Air 2, the dynamic range alone seemed worth it to me, for dramatic sunset shots. If the reviews on youtube are to be believed, it's quite ahead of the Mini 2's (or even Pro 2 apparently). Well, hopefully it's possible to do bracketing on the Mini 2.
Been leaning towards Mini 2 these past few days, and since the fly more combo is noticeably more expensive (costs as much as a brand new Air 2 w/o one), I figured I'd rather try my luck by getting the basic version and then separately buying one spare battery, a rigid case for the drone alone, and spare props (comes out as ~$75, as opposed to $130 extra the fly more combo would've cost here, weird local prices)
Extra things I've noted down for purchasing: a compact card reader to upload stuff to phone too, a 64gb sandisk card, a prop guard (gotta be handy for flying in tight spaces, right? mini2 combo doesn't come with one unlike mini 1 oddly), a powerbank, and a set of filters.

Filters. Frankly, they kind of look overpriced as hell, considering the diameter of the lens.Will have to be on the lookout for good deals. I reckon nd4, 8 & 16, as well as one cpl and maybe cpl+nd8 or something. Have hardly used my NDs for DSLR photography, but since these things record video things are different.

Regarding Air 2 again, the one big issue with the thing now is that it's over 500g, so a couple of years from now it will be considered a chonk in the EU, falling into the A3 category. No closer than 150 meters to people, damn. I'm fairly sure dji will soon release a <500g version because of that and by 2023 one will just be able to buy that and not worry about the restrictions.
>>
>>3848530
>altitude locked
How high? Because my app only says don't go too high, but it lets me break the ceiling
>>
>>3848530
I've gone up about 1,700' with a Mavic Air, the only thing that stopped me was the turbulence. I wonder if the Air 2 has an actual limitation that just stops you.
>>
>>3850147
500m / 1,500 feet is programmed limit. It's possible that Air is without it because it's too weak, but I kinda doubt it. People have put first Mavic pro well above 8,000m. Pro 2 is still uncracked afaik.
>>
>>3849568
I'm Ansel Adams, I know what I need.
>>
>>3848543
I'm strongly considering the Air2. Even if I'm in NYC requesting airspace isn't even hard anymore. It's just the issue of being newer pilot and crashing it and blowing like 900 dollars on a fun toy to get some content i probably won't sell it a big investment.
>>
File: Untitled_Panorama-1-small.png (4.93 MB, 3330x1000)
4.93 MB
4.93 MB PNG
Reporting in. Currently studying for 107, just need to get better at METAR/
>>
Im getting a dji inspire 1 with a zenmuse x5 and a 15mm 1.7 lens to do milkway stuff. Cause im stupid
>>
>>3850818
Fwiw it's gotta be harder to crash the Air 2, compared to the cheaper stuff, it has collision avoidance sensors in front and back, in addition to the downwards facing ones cheaper drones have. Note that it still doesn't have sensors facing upwards and towards the sides.

Getting a mini 2 today hopefully. Just the basic version, will be buying the rest separately as necessities and capacities arise. Was a good deal on the 2 extra batteries though.
A reasonable charger alternative can be bought from some chinks for $10, the bag's too large for my liking etc. Will be shipping it from there, along with a set of filters and tiny rigid cases.

Would've gone for Air 2 as well, but it's gonna be unusable near other humans in the EU 2 years from now, like hell will the chinks certify the thing.
>>
File: DJI_0008.jpg (1.78 MB, 4000x2250)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
Last December I got a Mini 2. I have an old Phantom Standard and was worried that it wouldn't be much of an upgrade but it actually was. I still want to get ND filters, though, to get the shutter speed slower and more cinematic for video.
>>
>>3850818
>the issue of being newer pilot and crashing
They're actually super easy to fly, so you probably won't crash it unless you're actively trying to. Or you do some dumb bitch move like sticking your controller in your bag while it's on and connected to your flying drone and that presses against the stick until it flies into a tree.

(It's me. I'm that dumb bitch)

(It was fine, but there was a brief moment of terror, and I did have to pick a couple of leaves out of one of the rotors)
>>
>>3850818
Gets a cheap one on the side to learn on.
>>
File: goodbye horses r.jpg (3.72 MB, 1995x1428)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
>>3849630
>Kind of surprised you prefer the old mini having the option to use the Air 2
I think you misunderstood, the Air 2 is better than the old mini in every single way.
>a prop guard
Don't really need those unless you plan to fly inside. Outside they just make your drone prone to wind and more than likely put the mini/mini 2 over 250g.
>>3850859
Are you 100% on sectionals? Because the test will be mostly reading sectionals.
>>3851000
Honestly I wouldn't rely on Air 2's collision avoidance, that thing can be really hit or miss and definitely has a hard time seeing thinner objects aka bare branches and wires.
>>3850818
It's a solid drone, but just a heads up there's an update coming sometime this year. Just practice in wide open areas at first, fly a bunch make sure you know the rules and when it's safe or not to fly and you'll be fine. Just don't be a dipshit.

Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.2.15
>>
I tried out the fpv drone and got scared after 5 seconds of flying it in full manual, thankfully it has brakes so I didn't wreck my friends new toy
>>
>>3851692
>I think you misunderstood
I did, was a severe case of wishful thinking. Re-read it a couple of days ago after having already settled on the mini 2 and got a jab of despair, but still proceeded. Gonna learn the ropes with it, then get whatever the chinks produce as a sub-500g successor later. Not much of a chance of them retroactively certifying the Air 2 for A2 anyway.
Haven't had the chance to fly the Mini 2 outside yet due to windy weather.

So far it feels quite stable. Practicing doing multiple things at once (e.g. moving sideways or downwards while also slowly panning the camera) for the time being. There's also some nice tips&tricks vids to watch.

The one odd thing I've noticed while testing it indoors is that it misjudged the height from the floor, granted it was slightly glossy wood. The discrepancy was maybe around 20-30 cm on average (always overestimating, never underestimating), other times it would be fine. Looking back at the recording it seemed to accumulate the error over time, little by little whenever I'd send it up or down. I thought the downward looking sensors would be more reliable. By the time I landed it, the error was at 60 cm (it realized the mistake upon the touchdown). Hopefully it's more reliable when outside. Oh well, as long as it doesn't report higher values instead it shouldn't be dangerous.

The images are more detailed than I'd expected. Raws aren't too bad. Iso performance is as eh as I thought it would be, pics taken at 400 iso feel like my d700's (13 y.o. fullframe with same resolution) photos at 4000, but that's like only 3 stops. Need a sunny day outside to evaluate base iso and dynamic range & shooting into the sun.

Don't know much about colourgrading / LUTs, probably need to get adobe premiere or something (Win/Linux), as it seems to be out of Vegas' sphere of competence.

Overall looks fun & promising.
>>
>>3851895
Have fun, man. I didn't mean to say that either one of the minis aren't capable, they're still super cool. I do think they shine much more as video cameras than photo machines though.
>>
File: DJI_0103.jpg (3.53 MB, 3561x2671)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
>>3851900
Thanks, been having a blast with the thing today. So far the photos are even less imaginative than the ones I take with the dlsr, but there's so much promise with this little drone. For one, it's fun to control (as a mobile photo/video tool, not a racing rig). Gives me more reason to go outside, especially as it teases interesting perspectives and angles while being unable to provide the best of it from one's back porch: the signal obviously won't propagate past considerable obstacles, so I can't get any lower, therefore I need to walk up to the PoIs spotted from above.
The effective resolution at base iso is fairly close to the 12 mp it comes with, sooc is close to what's expected considering the tiny sensor. The menus are sort of eh, feeling like a dinky consumer dslr but they probably expect you to shoot on auto as changing the settings on the fly (hue) is kind of cumbersome either way. I'd still love a semi-auto kind of mode (is that what P is on dslrs maybe, only ever use M & A), a toggle for WB like the one for histogram, and some customizable favorites menu.
Have had more success with videos, already pleasing to look at sooc (and the thing is responsive enough to twirl those shots in a pseudoprofessional way) but editing those has got to be harder than the flat ones the higher-end drones can record. Oh and good god are those heavy. Time to get a new external storage hdd just for those.

bumping in case there' s more enthusiasts around
>>
>>
File: DJI_0100_qts_export.jpg (2.23 MB, 1688x1688)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
>>3851692

Guy studying for 107 here, Sectionals and METAR are my last things to tighten up on. Sectionals I feel pretty comfortable with but I just have a hard time parsing the METAR for whatever reason. Just gotta practice I guess
>>
>>3854389
Honestly the aviation charts were the most difficult thing for me. The questions had two answers which were very similar and two you could tell were wrong. Lots of helpful YouTube videos and practice test you can take if you’re nervous about it
>>
File: better market IG.jpg (1.15 MB, 1350x1013)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
>>3854389
Yeah make sure you're as comfortable about sectionals as possible. The big tip that everyone gives is to know how to read the legend, but it helps if you know what most of the things mean. METAR and TAF are at the very least very consistent, just watch some videos and write it out to get a handle on it.
What I did was literally write out a couple METARs/TAFs double spaced on a piece of paper and physically chop them up and write above them what each chunk means.

Also big protip, buy the $5 app called Prepware Remote Pilot. It's the only thing I spent money on to study fore the 107 and it's 100% worth it because it has questions very similar to what you're gonna see on the test and a ton of sectional/metar/weather related stuff. Really good for identifying where the gaps are in your knowledge. Anyway, it's not that tough.

>>
File: 2.jpg (175 KB, 660x952)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
Anyone here try the inception effect? I really want to learn it. Pic related from google
>>
>>3854882
No, shit's cheesy af.
>>
File: DJI_0401.jpg (1.97 MB, 4000x2250)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>3854584
>>3854802

Thanks dudes, going through Prepware now.
>>
>>3854882
>inception effect
Which homo called it like that? plenty of art has been doing that since the 50's
>>
>>3855365
like who? Post some examples.
>>3855361
np bre
>>
>>3856187
>like who?
Gundam, Halo, most space colony art from the 60's and 70's, take your pic, even Mass Effect did it.
>>
File: 13573573442525.jpg (576 KB, 1185x670)
576 KB
576 KB JPG
The fact that this thread is dying is indicative of how irrelevant you sad fucks are.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Macintosh)
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:12:17 18:57:24
Image Width701
Image Height405
>>
>>3847733
Impressed with the steadiness of that, given the motion blur in the lights from the cars.

How much is your total kit? Drone and all?
>>
>>3855365
>plenty of art has been doing that since the 50's
Paintings or photographs? I'm curious as to how they'd pull off a shot like that in the 50s
>>
File: air2s.png (438 KB, 2000x1000)
438 KB
438 KB PNG
Not to make this a gear thread but is anyone else looking at the Air 2S? If the sensor is the same as the Pro I might take the plunge but I'm also curious to see if theres a Pro refresh coming later
>>
File: DJI_0136-1.jpg (2.58 MB, 4000x3000)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
>>3860920
Wonder if it's below 500g and whether it's certified for A2 in EU, would've been cool. Looking at the reviews, the original Air 2 seems to be performing amazingly well image-wise already, for a sensor that small. On par with the current Pro. Tbh for now I'm even happy with my Mini 2 when it's at base iso, though 12 Mp isn't enough for large detailed prints and doesn't leave room for cropping. I'm new to drones though, so maybe others have different appetites.
>>
>>3860920
Im so fucking mad. I bought the regular air 2 a month ago, it came broken so I sent it for replacement and now I find the 2s is coming out. FUCK
>>
>>3861757
I was very close to doing the same thing, for sure gonna order a 2s the moment it becomes available.
>>
>>3847664
Man it really seems that the overwhelming majority of decent videos filmed on drones have the same kind of music in the background. Relaxed beats (probably the most important part, helps with changing scenes or doing a fast-forward), a generic, forgettable, synthetic melody, the repeated 0.5-1 second-long audio clips of some lady moaning or making the hamster noises in the background, managing a gibberish or even a word or two sometimes.
I get it, it works well, it's hip among the general population and all, but are there any decent examples of videos filmed on a drone (say, landscapes of uninhabited or rural areas, but urban would be insightful to see as well) which use other genres of music as background tracks? When surveying landscapes myself, I've orchestral, even classic, music coursing through my mind, but making an entertaining montage, with all sorts of transitions that help keep the visuals fresh, with that sort of music to complement it feels like a tall order so far. Been looking for inspiration on youtube but have come up short for now.
At this rate I may end up settling for some calm instrumental post-rock instead.
>>
File: wgbh rickroll ig.jpg (1.18 MB, 1350x1080)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>3861757
>>3862245
To be fair your air 2 is still a capable piece of gear and the air 2s is significantly more expensive.
Also if you paid any attention you would have known they were probably releasing an update or an air 3 sometime this year.
>>3862813
You also have to realize that you can't just use any kind of music you want if you're trying to be a legitimate videographer. You have to either pay royalties or use royalte free music and that limits your options. If you want your videos to appeal to a lot of people you also want to stay somewhat current/trendy and most people would be put off by classical music.
Make the videos you wanna see, man.

>>
File: DJI_0299.jpg (1.86 MB, 2048x1152)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
>>3861757
>>3862245

Did the same thing with the Mini1/Mini2 last year. Mini2 added the two features I wanted but compromised on(RAW/4K) 4 months after I pulled the trigger, and naturally DJI isn't going to add RAW to the Mini1. God damnit, oh well, nice practice drone I guess.
>>
>>3861757
same shit with me. Bought Air 2 in february and didn't even got a chance to fly it properly cause the weather was fuck all bad.
>>
I'm ( >>3849168 ) back. didn't expect it to happen so soon
should I get the Air 2S or the mavic 2 pro? the air 2S has the same size but not variable aperture
>>
this ( https://camerajabber.com/reviews/dji-air-2s/ ) site says that the air 2S will be under pretty strict regulations. is that the same with the mavic 2 pro? if I have to spend a little more to not have to worry about regulations it might be worth it
anybody know anything about the regulations and what applies?
>>
>>3865864
Afaik these regulations are EU/UK-only, if that matters to you. If it does, they're based on aircraft takeoff mass. The closest milestone for Air 2S is 500g. It's heavier than that. All the older drones below 500g get more lax permissions, all the older drones above 500g - stricter. In the future (technically it's already possible, just not being done yet I think) new models will be certified differently according to a new ruleset. Iirc manufacturers can conduct certifications to retroactively rate older drones and theoretically it's possible to rate an older model for a more lax ruleset, but it has to be done by the manufacturer, and knowing DJI they will do fuck all and instead milk the market for a new model.
Basically, if you're a European or are visiting the place with an A2S, it would be more restrictive than it could've been with a lighter one or with a future model that is certified. Unless DJI do something that goes against their greedy policy.
Same goes for anything already on the market that is above 500g. A2S is more likely to get retroactively certified, but the chances of that are slim atm.
Interestingly enough, Air1 is lighter than 500g. Too bad it's aged and the battery won't hold it in the air for long, without hardware tweaks.
>>
>>3865894
oh shit I forgot the EU existed. I thought it was US regulations
>>
>>3865900
Ok yea in that case just check what the US ones are. Afaik they're more lax (for now).
>>
>>3865901
looking it up, it looks like there's shit where you need to broadcast your location by 2023. do you think this is something that should make me rethink getting a drone? I've never had a drone before, and I wouldn't want to end up in a situation where I can't fly it where I want for photos, but if I dont get it I miss out on a lot of things I might be able to do that is now impossible
>>
File: DJI_0071f.jpg (862 KB, 2560x1592)
862 KB
862 KB JPG
>>
>>3865915
Need some burgerbros to weigh in here, no idea about US laws.
EU drone laws also have this grace period where one will be able to use Air2/Air2S in a category that sort of allows flying more or less close to people until 2023, then it's 150 meters minimum for them. I don't much like pestering people but it still was a dealbreaker for me, wouldn't want to always be on a lookout for an overeager cop in case they start enforcing this (they really don't these days, I hear the regulations are still messy and fresh enough that they're not sure of them themselves. Went with Mini 2 as a result, has the least restrictions. No question that Air 2 is better in almost everything else.
Still, 2023 is far enough for some not to worry about it, they can fly the thing for years and sell it (though the price would probably go down a lot by then).
>>
>>3850864
do only chinese companies make this shit?
>>
>>3866125
They make the best shit at the moment and they make all the components for the expensive custom companies.

Blame your daddy and his workmates that were able to outsource to get better bonuses at the cost of a weaker country.
>>
air 2s shows up tomorrow through fedex :) hope it shows before sundown so I can fly it for a little bit
>>
>>3866312
Can you please do some raw shots at iso100 and upload it? Want to pixel peep the shit out of it and cant find any raw samples online yet.
>>
>>3866369
Yeah I'll do that if it shows up. Haven't heard anything today from fedex so who knows if it'll show
>>
>>3847664
It's funny, drones were sort of my path into photography. I had a drone before I ever had a DSLR, but I was so fascinated by the glass on the Mavic 2 Pro that it led me right into it all.

I ended up selling my M2P a few years back to fund my photography addiction. Kinda miss it desu.
>>
>>3866721
>>3866369
>>3866312
I second that, but at night. Very curious to see how the bigger sensor performs in low light.
>>3866723
Rookie mistake.
>>
>>3866801
Nah, I don't have enough attention span to pass that retarded fucking cert test. They're fun to fly and all, but if I can't make money with it...yea.
>>
>>3866801
reeee didn't come today and shipping changed to to be determined, welp maybe this week I hope.
>>
>>3866806
..but you can make money with it and the part107 test isn't that difficult.
>>3866851
Dang that sucks. Hopefully it gets found somewhere and comes tomorrow.
>>
>>3866898
Cowards obey laws.
>>
>>3866928
You're too dumb to pass it.
>>
>>3866898
Well, meaning I can't make money until said test is passed. I studied for it, but I've always been shit at tests so I didn't bother.
>>
File: 111.jpg (3.17 MB, 4056x3040)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
One of the benefits of living near the highlands.

Camera SoftwareWindows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384
Image Created2021:04:20 21:01:52
>>
>>3866898
Looks like fedex updated, it's in transit should be here Wednesday
>>3867941
beautiful, honestly.
>>
File: ohmy.jpg (35 KB, 900x900)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>live by a forest
>bought an used DJI Mini I
>first time flying the damn thing
>GPS is gone at minute 2
>drone flew away in the direction of the trees

It has been two days and I still have no idea where it is!
>>
File: DJI_0004-3.jpg (4.66 MB, 1468x3500)
4.66 MB
4.66 MB JPG
Just did a quick shot with the little battery that came with it.
it's the Air 2s but I'm not the anon from above
I did limit the size due to file size limits. but should hopefully give an idea

>>
generally does the FAA or any other group have ways of tracking you drone? like if I fly it @1000ft in the countryside with no planes around will they care at all?
>>
>>3867959
Does it not have RTH?
>>
>>3868059
nope. In couple years though they want to put the tracker technology into drones. So all the altitude, speed, gps, etc. info from drone that goes into your phone will automatically get sent to faa. I'm sure there will be hacks but tampering with this shit brings out another bunch of legal issues.
>>
>>3868066
Israel has successfully shot down thousands of them already. It's just a matter of radars strong enough in the area.
>>
>>3868065
it does! but the drone just flew away, following a straight path to nowhere!

seeing my money going to the middle of the woods was sad.
>>
Hello gang, first time on this board. came looking for a drone thread and was lucky to find this one. which drone do you guys think is better
>Autel Robotics EVO II Pro 6K Drone
>DJI mavic pro 2
>DJI AIR 2S DRONE

Looking at some youtube reviews and the autel one seems to be the better of the 3 but extremely expensive. dji mavic pro 2 cant do 4k/60fps for some reason but has different apeture.
DJI air 2s can do 4k/60fps but cant change the aperture and is cheaper than the mavic 2. would the aperture really make that much of a difference? they all seem to have something the other one doesnt so its a hard decision. right now im leaning towards the air 2s. any thoughts?
>>
>>3868185
all three drones have 1" sensor so they're bretty gud.
AIR 2S basically replaces the mavic 2 pro at this time as there are rumors DJI will be releasing the 3 pro this year.
I'd personally go for AIR 2S as its the best balance of everything, price, quality, range, etc.
If you can't think of why you need variable aperture then just don't worry about it.
>>
>>3868232
thanks photo fren, was already leaning towards it so your advice seals the deal
>>
>>3866125
The only other drone companies that lift heavier cameras I could think of is freefly systems which is american based, they also make their own gimbals. You could custom or custom order a drone with a pixhawk cube blue which is american made. Gremesly makes gimbals in vietnam
>>
>>3867959
Condolences.
>>
>>3847664

Gf wants to get me one as a gift. I know nothing of the drone space and could use some recommendations or things to look out for when purchasing one.

>Price
Doesn't really matter. As long as it's under $5000. But it doesn't need to be super expensive either. I'm more than happy with a $600 drone if it flies well and has good tech and takes good photos.

>Use
I do photography and videography as a way to make extra money, so I would incorporate it into my work as another service I can offer. So it has to be relatively good for this purpose and will be able to give me some ROI. I will also use it recreationally, of course.
>>
>>3868252
>>3868252
Of course I implicitly trust China with all my video and GPS data, why don't you? I wouldn't be foolish enough to even begin to suspect they might be using these cheap toys which they control every aspect of design and production of as easy surveillance against an enemy state? Just read the other fans of DJI post about how cool they are on Reddit, watch all the promotional videos and always buy the latest model when it comes out.
>>
File: 1.jpg (3.88 MB, 2500x1405)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB JPG

>>
File: 2.jpg (3.79 MB, 2500x1405)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG

>>
File: 3.jpg (3.56 MB, 2500x1404)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG

>>
File: DJI_0452-edit.jpg (2.6 MB, 4000x2250)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
back with another boring shot taken while out in Millennium Park
>>
>>3855365
>>3856187
>>3858469
>>3860353
You're all dumb in the head
>>
>>3869456
Due to your pic I'll literally buy a Air 2S. Gg
>>
>>3848040
>>3848530
don't forget in the US the rule if you're near an airport you technically have to contact them and say "I'm flying my drone today at X:00 pm does that affect you" and someone from the tower has to reply before you go.
>>
Hello, never owned or flown a drone before here but im looking to get one. But im not looking for the photography aspect but the spotting aspect. Id like to be able to use the drone to see local topography at a low birds eye level or go to the beach, fly it offshore and spot fish with it from above. Im looking for a drone where the controller has a screen or use my phone and get a pretty good range on it and can see what my drone sees in decent enough quality. Id like to get at least half a mile range but a mile would be prefered. Im hoping to spend $500 for it but willing to spend up to 1k for it. Like I said ive never owned a drone but im very good with machines and controls (im a crane/lift operator) and dont know what to really search for. Any recomendations or even search terms to try would be great. Thanks.
>>
>>3872287

Yeah your best bet at your price point is the mavic mini 2 or the air 2S
>>
>>3872287
I'd say mavic air 2 actually. Has great battery (34 mins flight time), can hold against strong winds much better than mini, still a great camera and it dropped in price slightly since 2S came out. I would only consider 2S if the camera is a top priority.
>>
>>3872343
>>3872847
thanks for the sugustions. Ive looked into these now and they seem like far better options than I was finding myself(internet is not my strongpoint). I think im probably going to settle with the Mini 2, its decently cheap and does everything im looking for.
>>
File: DJI_0310-2.jpg (1.48 MB, 3910x2931)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
>>3847664
I sold my Mavic Pro but this is my favorite image I have taken with it.

I'm sure I have a better quality image somewhere on my server but this is what I have at the moment. These are shipping containers at the Port of Norfolk.

Camera ModelFC220
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 9.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.2
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Image Created2020:01:05 17:36:36
Exposure Time1/240 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.00 m
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash Function
Focal Length4.73 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastSoft
SaturationNormal
SharpnessSoft
>>
>>3873533
heh, thought they were books at first glance
>>
Where am I even allowed to fly this thing, it tells me I may be violating local airspace when I fly above 120m, but I live in the middle of nowhere and the fly more app isn't giving me any other warnings and air traffic doesn't cross through my area.
>>
I'm in EU, how good is a Mavic Mini v1 in terms of range and image quality?
>>
>>3867959
You would think there was a good reasone why someone was selling it
>>
>>3873533
nice pic anon
>>
>>3872847
2S's camera is actually under the Mavic Pro 2
>>
>>3872287
If you're not interested in the actual photography aspect of it, you might be better off shopping around at r/c plane shops.
There's all kinds of hardware for live feed cameras, wearable display goggles, programmable autopilots, all kinds of stuff.
If you're remotely competent with electronics and machinery it's not hard at all to build your own craft.
t. occasional r/c enthusiast
>>
>>3875810
Idk I've seen some unfavorable opinions of the remote, video feed cutting out fairly early out in urban areas (shouldn't be as much noticeable in the wild though). The remote itself is smaller which is nice, but the way phone is to be positioned seems less convenient and you probably can't charge phone off it while flying either (turned out to be a great feature, as at max brightness my phone's battery drains rapidly). Went with mini 2 as a result instead.

Assuming the actual sensor and lens are the same on both, the image quality is better than expected. Detail is far from dslr+prime of course, but I find it better than that of an iphone x. Dynamic range is mostly on par with the phone too, without hdr at least. There's bracketing available on the drone too, but I don't think you can control the step (it's like 0.3 stop each way, whereas I'd rather have it do at least 1 stop), haven't tried it yet.

>>3875782
The 120m limit is for the EU I think, and even then I wouldn't expect them to really enforce it. For forbidden areas it's better to consult other sources, specific to your country. Usually if there's no airport, military installation, prison or some sort of an important heritage site it's all good. Consult local laws re: trespassing and privacy to be sure too maybe.
>>
File: DJI_0401.jpg (372 KB, 2048x1382)
372 KB
372 KB JPG
>>3875782
protip: photos look like shit anyway when you're over 120m. For some reason people find it necesarry to fly their drones as high as possible. But from that high up all shots look flat and same like google maps satellite view. You need to understand the benefits of the drone - It lets you get to places you can't but it doesnt have to be a mile up in the sky.

Camera ModelFC2103
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 22.1 (Windows)
Image Width4048
Image Height2731
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2021:01:09 19:00:07
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash Function
Focal Length4.50 mm
Image Width2048
Image Height1382
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3848035
Insane.

>>3851692
Did you put em there?

>>3854389
I like how they are offcentered. Neat.

>>3854802
What am I looking at?

>>3873533
Love it.
>>
File: DSC03526-2 r.jpg (1.14 MB, 1682x1200)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>3872052
That's not true. You put in requests through a website or an app and most of the requests are processed automatically within a couple seconds.

You don't manually contact the control tower.
Further coordination might be required to fly above the LAANC altitude limit or on airport property though.
>>3877112
>Did you put em there?
No.
>What am I looking at?
Ice.

Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.2.16
>>
>yay finally dry weather
>open uav-forecast
>it's in the red
>10m/s wind, 16 m/s gusts
>goes on for days, slackens every night, picks up every morning / early afternoon
Hory shet just let me fly it in peace for a bit, it's hard to gain any experience controlling the thing when the wind is just blowing it the hell away. I've noticed it's nearly impossible to correct for the lateral leeway whereas if turned against the wind it's more or less manageable.
The fields look stunning, with the lowering sun lighting the stalks just right and the wind drawing ever changing patterns in them but holy cow does the poor mini 2 struggle. In its defense, that's some serious wind, the flags flap like crazy, powerlines are buzzing not unlike the drone itself, whereas at one point the drone couldn't even be heard at all despite hovering ~10 meters to my lee. Still it better cut it out soon, spring is only this long.
>>
>>3877151
I wouldn't even fly in those winds, you're just rolling the dice on a flyaway at this point. I know it sucks, but that shit's no joke.
>>
>>3877179
Oh well, fortune favors the bold. Mostly kept it below 50 meters, countering the gusts whenever it could be helped, and not letting it get too far. I reckon worst case scenario I could just force a crash landing in the crops. Had had big plans for some long range flights towards distant points of interest but had to settle for buzzing the nearby fields and roads instead. Considering its size and mass the drone is resisting admirably, of course. Still can't help but feel vexed by the unforthcoming weather.
>>
>>3877211
Welp you do you, just don't say I didn't warn you when you post here next week about crashing your drone lol.
>>
First day with my drone
>>
File: not good.png (374 KB, 500x775)
374 KB
374 KB PNG
Yolo.
>>
First fly with the Air2S
The camera is decent I guess
Got to get used to it, it's my first drone
>>
File: DJI_0013.jpg (887 KB, 1000x667)
887 KB
887 KB JPG

Camera ModelFC3411
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 10.2 (Windows)
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)22 mm
Image Created2021:05:05 23:39:25
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length8.38 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: DJI_0019.jpg (712 KB, 1000x667)
712 KB
712 KB JPG

Camera ModelFC3411
Image Created2021:05:05 23:39:26
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length8.38 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: DJI_0021.jpg (583 KB, 1000x667)
583 KB
583 KB JPG

Camera ModelFC3411
Image Created2021:05:05 23:39:30
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length8.38 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: DJI_0035.jpg (669 KB, 1000x666)
669 KB
669 KB JPG
Last one

Camera ModelFC3411
Image Created2021:05:05 23:39:31
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length8.38 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.