[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 31 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: proxy-image.jpg (49 KB, 500x427)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
I intend to repair them and preserve SLR history and promote SLR's into the future. I choose to do this primarily because SLR's are one of mankind's crowning achievements and their loss is a net loss for mankind. That is all.
>>
>>3846221
>Exaktas
Cool, are you capable of repairing them? or hoping among 60 cameras you'll be able to piece together at least 1 of workable parts?

>preserve
to sell? or to hoard?
>>
>>3846225
I will make myself capable of repairing them. I see no reason to believe they will present any impossible-to-overcome challenges on this front, but we'll see.

To sell. I am opening up an Exakta repair shop. I do not have the skills but in two years I will be the world's foremost authority on Exakta repair. This is my hope. This is how I will service the elites without taking the jab. This is the plan.

Considering joining https://www.spt.info/. If anyone is a member please let me know. <3
>>
>>3846229
>This is how I will service the elites without taking the jab
The 'rona is surface transferable, elites aren't going to buy from a store that isn't certified as vaccinated
>>
>>3846234
They will have no choice as I will be the world's foremost authority on the finest SLR ever made. This is the price they must pay for their tower-stay.
>>
>>3846240
You sound like a crazy person.
>>
>>3846240
>the finest SLR ever made
lol
>>
>>3846240
they will have plenty of choice when their automated nano bot factory just produces whatever they desire
>>
>>3846271
Incorrect. Nanobots cannot create adrenochrome any more than they can create The Spirit of The Finest in Germanic Engineering.
>>
give me one, i love these fuckers
>>
File: kine_dessus.jpg (105 KB, 472x227)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>3846283
They are beautiful objects, friend.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D70
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
PhotographerPicasa 2.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.3
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1058
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width472
Image Height227
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2012:02:11 12:12:31
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width472
Image Height227
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3846286
woh that is nice, is that the 135 film or 127 film version?
>>
File: exakta-vp2_s.jpg (54 KB, 600x400)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>3846288
That's a Kine 1.2.2, near as I can tell. The 127 (The Exakta VP) is attached.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelSLT-A77V
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
PhotographerPicasa
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)135 mm
Image Width1200
Image Height800
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2020:12:29 16:31:25
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness5.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceOther
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length90.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width600
Image Height400
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Unique Image ID8d3c38eaa1baa39b0dfa6084997ffdf1
GPS StatusMeasurement Interoperability
Geodetic Survey DataWGS-84
GPS Differential CorrectionNo Correction
>>
This is great. I have a problem with a broken hinge on a Varex IIa. I will post pics later and perhaps you can tell me how to repair it. It's just a piece that has broken off and needs to be glued back.
>>
>>3846317
Have you tried gluing it back on?
>>
>>3846240
Kek.
Man 4chan is a big clown circus.
>>
Gonna link this on /biz/
>>
>>3846286
>>3846240
I started getting delusional in this way for the rz67 but then stopped. they do seem like nice objects. you can probably make good art with them. but dedicating a significant proportion of your life to their preservation and repair is such a waste.

you're not going to get rich off of this, they are just old forgotten cameras that the rest of the world has moved on from. after a ton of work maybe you can get them to work reasonably, but no one is going to care because at the end of the day they are just cameras and they don't matter very much. it's dull.

sorry you blew over 1000 dollars and significant time on this idea anon, I hope you don't waste the rest of your life doing something this meaningless and uninteresting
>>
>>3846600
>>3846634
Few things:
1) I blew more than a grand by factors.
2) I think my chances of surviving the next three years are about 50% given the state of this world. Thus, I do not care that the world does not care. This world is a pile of steaming shit. If I am to die, it will be taking selfies of me magdumping on Bluebeam Jesus with a sweet-ass Exakta.
3) I have never once in my life done anything in pursuit of money; certainly not this.
>>
>>3846664
I recognize that you're doing it because you want something to care about in this shit world I'm just saying i don't think this should be it, if you are capable of doing things like this type of repair then there are other projects less indulgent and helpful to humanity than rehabilitating these dusty old cameras
>>
>>3846669
Thank you for telling me how to spend my time and money, anon. Thank you very much indeed. You have given me a lot to think about with your
>no, dont
and for that, I will remain forever in your service. Thank you. Thank you so very much. Thank you. Thank you for showing me the overtness of my self-indulgence. May God take you to his breast and show you the warmth and attention you've shown me here today, anon. Bless you.
>>
File: pwn.png (1.04 MB, 802x853)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
>>
File: yes.png (2.32 MB, 988x1576)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB PNG
>>
>>3846221
>>3846229
>>3846240
>>3846274
Godspeed, you crazy diamond.
>>
File: sir.png (1.27 MB, 1060x1492)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
>>3846742
Much appreciated, friend.
>>

Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width960
Image Height1280
>>
>>3849409
wew some lucky bastard just got rid of some hard sell there
>>
>>3849426
They are fine machines. The more I work on them, the more I admire them. I am greatly looking forward to fabricating replacement parts out of precious metals.
>>
>>3849426
Cope
>>
Mate I understand that you think you've hit the goldmine with these wonderful old cameras that have lovely optics and a cool shape, but really you're just a sucker who bought 60 old cameras from someone who wasn't even bothered to go to the effort to sell each one individually.
There are numerous old mechanical cameras with better optics, ergonomics and aesthetics around that snapshitting 20-somethings want to buy, because thats really who is driving the resurgance of film: dipshit kids with too much money.
Why would anyone want one of these when they can go buy an equally old camera like a contaflex or ql17 that already works and doesn't look strange?
Otherwise godspeed mate, hope it works out for you since it seems like you've bet pretty hard on this venture.
>>
>>3849466
>and doesn't look strange
Way to out yourself as a fag
>>
>>3849497
Sorry but an F-1 or OM-1 is an objectively better camera in every way.
Go jerk off onto your piece of shit hunks of metal
>>
>>3849466
Do you think I purchased these all from the same person? No. I have cleaned out the entirety of the United States supply. There is no remaining antique mall with a broken Exakta. No camera shop, no fleabay flipper, no nobody. Every broken Exakta is in my care and will be repaired by my hands and I will not stop until I have fixed every single one.
>>
>>3849517
Have you ever repaired a camera?
>>
>>3849521
The Exakta isn't an especially great camera so its not like the demand for them is especially high, considering that plenty more exist in Europe and Japan.
Also what do you expect to happen now or in the future?
Most film makers will likely stop within the next 10 years as the trend dies off, well thats what Kodak and Fuji think considering they have no plans to substantially scale up film production.
Lastly, the Exakta was only one of the many pretty good/alright SLRs that came out at during that period of time, and their marginal value is nill compared to other options.
Enjoy yourself though, sounds like a fun project and hey you might make 50-100 out of each camera and net a pretty nice $5000, good for you.
>>
>>3849523
Why would I?
There are plenty of old SLRs in good condition that cost nothing. I'll just replace my F-1 if it breaks
>>
>>3849526
>expect to happen
What is the question? Are you asking whether or not I am trying to get wealthy from this? Banking that some IG influencer is going to jump on the Exakta bandwagon so that I can set sail? No. This is not crypto. This is about the cameras. And keeping them together through the upcoming war/purge/reset.

>>3849527
Thank you. You've demonstrated exactly the problem which I am trying to address. We have nothing further to discuss.
>>
>>3849528
An Exakta is the last thing that needs to be saved during the upcoming war/purge/reset, at least save some Retina 1a's or Brownie Boxes
>>
>>3849531
Suffice it to say, I like the history of Ihagee. It has parallels to this clownworld. Exakta was not an accident. You can bomb it into oblivion, you can commandeer production by communist forces: It remains.
>>
>>3849535
Exakta's are a sorry accident that somehow became the first SLR produced. They pale in comparison to the much superior Ziess Ikon Contaflex and were so bad that not even the commies could be bothered to subsidise the sorry company of Ihagee.
Literal commie cuck camera that will be forgotten by history.
>>
>>3849542
Do you just type whatever words appear in the hairs of your dilation wound excreta?
>>
Guys, I sold 60 old Exaktas that I found impossible to repair. Hope the mongoloid who bought them doesn't realize too soon.
brb.. buying a leica with my fool-exakta-money
>>
>>3849642
Had you ever opened an Exakta or any decent camera made in an era when humans still existed, you'd know there's nothing in there that's impossible to repair or fabricate. That is, once again, exactly the point. It's remarkable, truly remarkable, how many anti-point points are being made ITT. I thank each and every one of you Fuji shooters from the bottom of my heart for the constant reaffirmations.
>>
PS: The number is probably closer to 90.
>>
>>3846672
Well ain't you a prick, lol

>Gets given polite non-mandatory advice
>Shits on it instead of just politely dismissing it

Really hope it sinks with that attitude
>>
>>3849642
Kek
>>
>>3849650
I like your spacing. It's fascinating. It evokes smells and oils.
>>
>>3849656
How did you know I drench myself on e-girl love juice?
>>
>>3849409
>he actually did it
Crazy diamond, I thought you were memeing. But I still wish you well, and will monitor this thread.
Ignore the anti's, lad.
>>
>>3849672
Fren, I am aware of the outward "stupidity" of the task. It is Sisyphean, and I chose it for its end-times qualities. Let them come. Thank you for your words.
>>
Can I get a TL;Dr on this whole situation? I get that anon is buying Ekatas and refurbing them for resell but why is this a problem?
>>
>>3849675
When Tony Northrup declared the SLR dead, I knew it was time. That's all I can say. Perhaps I am a simple-minded reactionary. I have been called worse.
>>
>>3849675
It’s a problem because nobody can predict which cameras will be cool in the future. Look at the vintage point and shoot market. The most expensive ones aren’t really the better ones, it’s just all random. Some guy starts a forum or a blog cumming all over some old cameras, people pick up the slack, some dumbtubers make a video and boom it goes from $50 to $450.
>>
>>3849675
He picked an unknown and unremarkable camera to "save" when his efforts could have been directed to something both better, profitable and actually remarkable.
He's being a cunt about that.
>>
File: yesss.png (556 KB, 790x745)
556 KB
556 KB PNG
>>3849682
>literally the world's first SLR whose production run spans the most interesting era of the past 1000 years; an era that created very real echoes that exist in a very real way at this very moment and that is about to erupt into almost exactly the same kind of global carnage
>wee engineering marvels
>unremarkable
k

Who's ready for the comfy Twitch stream?
>>
>>3849683
Nobody gives a flying fuck about the first production car ever made (the one made by Mercedes), everybody knows the Ford Model T .
Just don't jizz all over them.
>>
>>3849677
Fair enough man, I wouldn't take much stock in what Tony Northrup has to say. A lot of people do though so perhaps you are onto something. Only time will truly tell I wish you luck.

>>3849680
I agree with your sentiments regarding the unpredictability as to which vintage camera will become the next camera du jour. Pouring money into something like this is a huge risk and is perhaps better chosen as a labour of love than a moneymaking scheme. I hope it's mainly the former but as I said to him, I wish him the best of luck.

>>3849682
What would you consider to be more worthy of his time? Surely that's a very subjective thing don't you agree?

>>3849683
World's first certainly does not mean world's best. I do admire the skill it must take to preserve such cameras.
>>
>>3849692
It wasn't until I began working on these that I really started to see just what it is that an SLR camera is and does and hopes to do. I'm not saying it is "the best camera" or that SLRs are "the best possible design for a camera," but in becoming familiar with just how simple it is conceptually at its genesis, I hope I will have a better appreciation for other cameras and other kinds of cameras. I already do, so that's good.

The fact that the Exakta was not an abject failure and was, rather, a luxury item that had and retains a following doesn't make it "the best" SLR, but that along with its primacy does give it... something.

I don't have the skills to do all of the work, yet. But my background is in jewelry (with some mechanical elements thrown in), and there is nothing in here that can't be fabricated with enough patience. I think I could even sand-cast the frame. It's a good machine to master, mechanically.

I would like to make one out of my own proprietary alloys some day. It will take some time to get there. A decade, perhaps.
>>
>>3849698
From the way you speak about these cameras it is plain to me that this is indeed primarily a labour of love. For this you have my utmost respect and support.

Link your site when you have some units fully refurbished and good to go, I would be happy to purchase two from you for myself and my wife. They are aesthetically pleasing and I would like to support your efforts.

Don't listen to these naysayers, if it is truly bringing you joy. Continue.
>>
>>3849673
Again The fact you know this might be a fool's cause is why you have my respect.
Link your Twitch homie, I'd like to see them refurbished and would buy one if you sell them for a reasonable price + shipping to EU.
>>
If you have the money, why not? Have fun
>>
>>3849709
Thank you, friend. When the time gets closer, and it's still many months away, perhaps you'll let me send you one of them to field test for me.

>>3849846
I am seriously considering the Twitch thing, just because I think it would be fun to do and it would basically change nothing insofar as the workshop or the process goes. Who knows!

>>3849887
I no longer have money. I have Exaktas. ;)
>>
>>3849887
>I no longer have money. I have Exaktas. ;)
Omg anon nooooooooo
>>
File: proxy-image.jpg (15 KB, 266x245)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>3849903
Let me explain: About a month ago, I sat down and did the cost-benefit analysis of continued existence. It didn't come out favorably. My old life was one of freedom and whimsy, and this new world will not suit me. I know it in my bones, so to speak. So as I sat down after having decided conclusively against continued existence, I looked around at the small cache of goods I had collected over the past year—since the onset of this planetary mania that can only eventuate in seas of gore—and something felt missing. Books, ammo, silver, gold, tools... all these things were what I felt were worth preserving against the fires of the yuga, but something felt critically missing. It was then the confluence of events occurred which would lead to the creation of this thread: a video by Tony Northrup announcing the death of SLR and a recent bank statement letting me know that there were still untapped resources at my hand. And then, as if consumed by a great and historical daemon, I set upon fleabay with the rapaciousness of a trillion maddened locusts and drained it totally of its stockpiles. It took weeks of fourteen hour shifts to become one with the understanding of the Exakta line and its manifestations in the agora. Do you know I knew nothing of it other than that I had acquired a number of edifying Exakta lenses to use with my K1? That I had not, in true fact, shot a single frame of 35mm film since my days as a young man? No matter. I felt the drive pushing me forward and knew that I could not stop. It was not until after the passion had subsided and the bank account had been successfully and permanently ridded of its semitic rot that I realized that the man who started Ihagee died in the city in which my great-great-great-great ancestors left for America, and I am now absolutely certain beyond any reasonable doubt that if I do not share Mr. Steenbergen's soul via some sort of karmo-cosmic reimplementation, then I am fated to be his champion.
>>
>>3849908
This could very probably be a shitpost but for the love of all that is holy, even if i and others think this was a terrible idea, please take care of yourself financially and mentally, from the bottom of my heart i really wish that for you.
>>
>>3849911
No, no. We're well beyond such pleasantries. It's right into the fucking volcano. Let's fucking do this.
>>
>>3849912
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>3849913
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5-xnJCFgzY
>>
>>3849896
>>3849887
Bold move.
>>
>>3849650
nah you were a faggot. "don't do what you want to do anon, do what's good for humanity." go signal your virtue somewhere else and let this based schixakta poster do his own thing.
>>
>>3846221
Lmao I have one of these in perfect working order that I am terrified to use. It is beyond complicated
>>
>>3849908
Will you be making Exakta amulets?
Will the city in your project feature exaktas?
>>
>>3849698
> jewelry
Oof, I thought you were another guy with a K1 when I made my previous post about the amulets. What can I say, I wish you luck but I think you misjudged based on Tony Northrup clickbait.
Hopefully it turns out as well as the K1 did but I think this one was a crazy move. Also I'm not so sure we're in the Kali Yuga already, and if we were, then riding the tiger would be the right choice for now.
>>
>>3850816
>city
That was autocorrect, meant to say "cult".
I wonder if the Exaktas have anything macro-worthy, maybe a set of gears or something.
>>
>>3849911
p condescending post but true really

>>3849908
u sound extremely dedicated but instead of exactas can u plz figure out how to manufacture replacement parts for copal shutters

they recently went out of business and basically all of large format photography depends on them for its continued existence
>>
>>3851892
Holy shit this is a worthy cause. Keeping large format alive is more important than exaktas
>>
>>3851892
hes right, or at least
>instead of exactas
"after exactas".

really it would be better to just design a new shutter:
>max speed 1/100 or slower
>has aperture ring
>can construct out of parts from Shapeways and McMaster-Carr
>should have electronics and a battery if it makes it simpler to design and build
1/200 and 1/400 speeds would be awesome, but really the whole thing can be absolute garbage in comparison to copal shutters and still be valuable. as it is, when the copal shutters break we're left with... digital
>>
any updates from exacta guy?
>>
Bump from page 9.
How's it going, OP?
>>
Repaired any yet OP?
>>
>>3849526
>Most film makers will likely stop within the next 10 years

Yeah, no.
>>
>>3858917
what gives u any indication that they wont stop
>>
itt: the photography equivalent of your lousy residential area neighbor who just bought the third mk2 golf in this year alone to fix his first one
>>
>>3849409
this is my kind of autism
>>
>>3859011
Imagine discontinuing a product that flies off the shelf and doesn’t need annual updates to keep brain dead consooomers consooooming. Short of govt intervention on environmental grounds I can’t see it ever happening
>>
>>3859011
increasing demand
it was interrupted by the 'rona, and Fuji clearly has no intention to do shit besides Instax, but Kodak and the b&w market will quite possibly thrive
>>
>>3858680
I hope he hasn't an hero'd after realising he spent his measly life savings on 60 paperweights
>>
>>3846221
Still surprised to see lots of jews seething at OP, the name of Dresden still is dangerous to the narrative to this day.
>>
>>3862739
I'm a natsoc myself and it's shameful how the war crimes of Dresden are swept under the rug (by the way Israel still bombs Gaza with white phosphorus to this day) but I'm pretty sure most of us were worried for OP.
It's just not a decision that's likely to be very rewarding.
I for one trust him to fix at least some of the cameras, but getting any financial gain is another matter. In fact I'm afraid it will be mostly a loss. But maybe it doesn't matter to him.
>>
>>3864077
>>3862736
>>3862739
yeah the fanatical way he writes about it makes me really worried he just killed himself

look at how pointless the world is right now
>>
>>3862736
Kek
>>
>>3864077
>I'm a natsoc myself and it's shameful how the war crimes of Dresden
Totaler Krieg means there are no civilians, all are considered military, so fair game.
Tough luck, maybe try not losing a world war for once?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.