[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: s-l640.jpg (31 KB, 640x640)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
I just got this for my Sony A7R. Looking to do portraits and might get a cinebloom filter to put on it one day. what's your most recent buy and let me know your thoughts.
>>
Should have posted on the gear thread. That lens gonna give you some neat tight shots, enjoy it and post some results.

Bought a 50R
>>
File: hide_thread.jpg (82 KB, 400x292)
82 KB
82 KB JPG

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2020:12:06 13:03:44
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width400
Image Height292
>>
>>3826791
old minolta design trash produced under "zeiss quality control". not a real zeiss faggot
>>
>>3826806
i was astounded to know they still carry on designs from 30-40 years back into current lens.

Why??
>>
>>3826807
why not? physics didn't magically change, good optics is still good, slap some better coatings and mechanics on it and you're fine
>>
>>3826809
Physics didnt, but lens design did. It is pretty embarassing that third party manufacturers like samyang, laowa can produce really cool lenses using modern mirrorless design, where sony pushes lenses like 50 f1.8, which is their dslr lens but with build in adapter.
>>
>>3826791
I think modern day Zeiss pisses me off.
Batis lenses are Sony exclusive (and you don't even get 50mm and 35mm options anymore).
Loxia are also Sony exclusive, but are just manual lenses that could just as easily be used on other mounts.
Touit is so strange. Sony and Fuji aps exclusive for no good reason...

And then finally you get ZM... Expensive M-Mount glass...

Zeiss' best days were in the Contax/Yashica era.
>>
>>3826809
Afaik Zeiss aren't as sharp as other contenders such as Sigma
>>
>>3826827
>And then finally you get ZM... Expensive M-Mount glass...
They still have some top end designs in M-mount. Like the 35mm f/1.4 Distagon or 15mm f/2.8 Biogon, or the extremely rectilinear 21mm f/4.5 Biogon. If only they bothered re-releasing the 16mm Hologon in M-mount, like they did with the G version.
>>
>>3826827
otus and milvus are the good zeiss photo lenses
forget about the rest
>>
>buying a Zeiss
>>
>>3826828
Not the cheaper Zeiss lenses anyhow. Their extremely expensive lineup is pretty good if you don't consider the price, when you do hopefully you just walk away and get a sigma art instead which is sharper for like 1/10 the price.
>>
>>3826834
They'd be good if I had investment into any kind of DSLR system...
That's the problem I have - manual focus lenses on an SLR which lacks a microprism or split image seems like a good way to have missed focus.
Mirrorless at least gives you focus peaking.
But all this just tells me is that Zeiss have really slipped since the Contax/Yashica days.
>>3826905
If taking Sigma Art is the recommendation, then I suppose getting a Panasonic body, at least because Sigma had input into making the L-Mount spec, seems like the best option.
>>
>>3826828
bull shit, my batis is much sharper than the sigma I've owned.
>>
>>3826951
Which sigma? The recent art ones or the older ones?

Dxomark has the 85mm and the 50mm as the sharpest lens ever tested, and having used the 35mm, it's pretty effing good too.
>>
>>3826831
I was looking at getting the 35mm Distagon. Is it really that good?
>>
>>3827005
Probably the best 35mm lens - technically/optically - that you can get.
Even summilux is not a match for it, build quality included. And it’s cheaper to boot.
I think it’s the last ZM lens introduced and Zeiss went all out on it.

But it’s a chonker. Considerable blockage in the viewfinder.
This is in comparison with smaller rf lenses. If you come from digital, size is normal, and with evf viewfinder blockage is irrelevant.
But I shoot film, plus I’m not chasing resolution/sharpness in 35mm to begin with, so personally I wouldn’t get it.
>>
>>3827019
Sony literally just released a 35mm GM lens this month so I need to pick. No one has really handled the new lens beyond paid shills so I have no clue if its worth the upcharge
>>
>>3826791
Should have just bought the Sony 85mm for half the price.
>>
>>3827050
No idea mate.
Just to be clear, I was talking about the ZM distagon, not the sony version.
I don't know shit about the sony version other than it's huge and double the weight, with a different optical formula.
>>
>>3826951
>my batis
I find it hard to believe that people successful enough to buy such a lens would even think about setting a foot in 4chan.
>>
>>3827736
I started posting on 4chan when I was like 20 and have since become successful.
>>
Anyone know if the zeiss 35mm 2.8 is decent? There's one going very cheap ($300) near me

>>3827050
if it's anything like the 24mm GM it'll be great, albeit big and heavy
>>
>>3827081
This, I have this lens and it’s ridiculously good.
>>
>>3827795
I have one and love it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.