[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Life.jpg (274 KB, 1000x1778)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
This is probably going read like a blog post, but fuck it. I'm thinking of deleting all the pictures I've ever taken. I keep finding myself looking back on them and remembering better times in my life where things were simple or times where things were fucking shit and all it does it make me feel like shit now because things will never be like that again.

I love photography, but if all it's doing is making me suffer then shouldn't I just stop? Anyone else felt this way and did you regret your decision?

Also, black and white pictures only thread.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
F-Numberf/2.4
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length3.18 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height1836
>>
>>3797096
classical depressing phase. common in creative field. you either drag yourself out of it, or move to other paths. i don't see how deleting your pictures would change anything, but clean slate could do you good. consider dumping everything on external hdd and throwing it into the closet.
>>
>>3797105
>consider dumping everything on external hdd and throwing it into the closet.
you may as well delete them if this is your long term archive plan

>>3797096
you are in charge of your own happiness, do something about it, your current predicament is retarded and you are acting like a child, are you?
>>
Complete newfag here but I gotta say, don't do it man. You'll probably regret it, so just hang on to the photos if storage isn't an issue.

Old photos can be used for documenting your change in editing style, anyway.
>>
>>3797110
To a degree I suppose I am, but at the moment seeing old pictures are just reminders of dead futures that will never be and that just creates a hollowness inside me that I have a hard time shaking.
>>3797105
I might go with this suggest. I guess the current problem is that they are easily accessible. >>3797110
What about his suggest is bad?
>>
>>3797096
TIME CAPSULE IT. Dont do it. Buy a blu ray burner and put it on an blu ray htl (basically any quality bd disc) stick them on your attic. Then you have both. A deleted HD and a time capsule. Keep it there for 5 years and bring it back open with a nice bottle of wine.
>>
>>3797117
>seeing old pictures are just reminders of dead futures that will never be and that just creates a hollowness inside me

I dont think that's the pictures. I think that's humanity and living in our current society. Take pictures of what you feel right now, but with the element of hope.
>>
>>3797117
>What about his suggest is bad?
HDD degrade over time and can randomly and completely die even when (especially when) not in use. As >>3797134 suggets, look into MDisc Archival blurays
>>
File: 1610249794747.jpg (40 KB, 480x595)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>3797139
This! Htl blu ray is affordable. Mdisc will work but are expensive. Photograph your archiving session. Put a rose flower and your favorite mlp figurine in there. Then they are gone and you can grab them when you like. But keep it away for a couple years to bring the intrigue back. 5 years fresh eyes will make your edits and review so much better.
>>
Do not use LTH bd.
>>
File: 1591815328481.jpg (3.37 MB, 3264x2448)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB JPG
>>3797096
damn anon, there are no answers for you. images are very damaging things in this way.
photographs and old memoirs are brutal fucking objects. i can't even look at my family albums without feeling deep melancholy. some anon made a whole thread along with pic related last year on /p/. I cried like bitch when I saw that thread.

I was reading an aphorism by Emil Cioran which pretty much sums up how I feel about the brutality of memory and record
>“An Egyptian monk, after fifteen years of complete solitude, received a packet of letters from his family and friends. He did not open them, he flung them into the fire in order to escape the assault of memory. We cannot sustain communion with oursclf and our thoughts if we allow ghosts to appear, to prevail. The desert signifies not so much a new life as the death of the past: at last we have escaped our own history. In society, no less than in the Thebaid, the letters we write, and those we receive, testify to the fact that we are in chains, that we have broken none of the bonds, that we are merely slaves and deserve to be so.”
>>
File: 1594416144820.jpg (27 KB, 310x208)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>3797096
>I'm thinking of deleting all the pictures I've ever taken
Yeah, do it. I do this too. I keep a very small number of photos compared to what I take. And I try to take less and less, as I figure out what makes a good photo. Throw it all away, burn it. The process is what's important. Certainly don't be a dumbass and spam them here. Keep shooting pics though OP just don't be attached to your pics. Take the photos and move on.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>3797139
>obsolete optical storage except 10x as expensive
The only good strategy is 3-2-1, three backups, two of them on different media, one offsite.

For example, HDDs and SSDs at home plus saved on cloud storage.
>>
>>3797485
good post
>>
>>3797139
That's nonsense. I've 15yr old hdd's in the storage. All working.
>>
>>3797485
an anxious man lives in the future, a depressed man lives in the past. don't deny either, but live right now.
>>
>>3797585
>ive got 15 year old HDDs
with multiple flipped bits and badblock errors, also hope that the head writer grease doesn't seize up. I pulled out my 20 year old HDs, out of the 8, only 3 had no badblock errors. 2 were completely dead, 1 had a read rate of 2MB/s due to reallocations. another had corruption errors in the pictures i pulled off. seriously, tape, m disc, htl bd is all you can trust.
>>
>>3797605
This is the great paradox of consciousness my man. A human can't live in the present like animals.
>>
>>3797607
Maybe you're doing something wrong? At what temperature are you storing them? I doubt I'm just lucky with my storage, but I really have no problems. I also never had any problems my sd cards. I've had one complete hdd failure, but only on main workstation, and even that only few years after that hdd started to report S.M.A.R.T. problem. Main problem for hdd's is heavy use. Premiere and other vid editors can kill them off in time. I make sure that image folders are always on separate hdd from my programs, and I don't trust sdd for storage yet, though theoretically they should fare better.
>>
Don't do it, instead stop trying to blame random shit for your low mood. The grass is never greener on the other side, even though it might seem it. You will always look at the past with rose-tinted glasses. We all have times where we know what we are doing, life is great, but we also all have times when we lose ourselves and we can't remember what it felt like to have motivation. We've all been there.

If you deleted all of your pictures it would just create another complex in your mind and you'd probably end up feeling worse. You will want to see those pictures in 10 years time I guarantee it. Maybe not want to re-live the bad times you talk about but maybe to see how you expressed yourself at this stage in your life.

Expression is key!
>>
>>3797129
bruh.
>>
OP here and you guys convinced me not to do it. I'm going to go with the disk approach some anons suggested. Just keeping them off my computer and removing them from my phone and camera will probably help a ton. I think the problem with all of this is ease of access and my overall depressive personality. I have pretend to be positive and happy because that's what my job, family, and friends require me to do, but it's draining and I find myself wanting to escape it into easier or more pleasant times, but that's a trap because my mind will then spiral down the path of what-ifs. I feel like life would be much better if I could just go around the world and photograph insects, fish, and plants. I'm just getting tired of modern life I guess.
>>3797605
That's a nice sentiment, but an impossible task. We rely on past experiences in order to function in the present and past experiences are seldom experienced in isolation so when you recall them you recall more than just the pertinent information.
>>3797485
Sounds like we are on the same wave-length anon.
>>
10 iq

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.