[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Conventional camera companies are so fucking over it isn't even funny. Give Apple another 5 years and they'll be running circles around The Sony A7R line like fly on shit.
>>
>>3764380
oh wow i remember this post from 8 years ago.

reminder that literally all of the modules in an iphone camera are made by other camera companies. apple's success is their success.
>>
>>3764380
>48MP camera*
>
>
>
>
>
>* 12MP effective resolution
Smartphone manufacturers should all be gassed.
>>
>>3764387
my smartphone says it has a 32mp camera but the effective resolution is literally 8 lol
>>
>>3764380
Fuck you. You Homo fag.
>>
So you think a smartphone camera lens can resolve better than a 35mm sensor? Interesting.
>>
>>3764380
mid range and high end should be stable, especially with more and more people producing content online.
>>
>>3764380
I got the new iphone and have been very disappointed. All the phone is doing is stitching multiple images to imitate a larger sensor and the result is softer than turning everything off. Computational photography will get better but I think you will always be better off with a larger sensor all things being equal.
>>
>>3764395
Yeah, they're lying pieces of shit.
They're just subdividing the photosites on the sensor and binning them for noise reduction. There is absolutely no increase in resolution because they're not even changing the color filter arrangement.

It's a literal scam. It is false advertising.
Your average DSLR is going to be capturing in about 4:2:0 but these "high megapixel" smartphones are literally capturing in lies. The closest analogy would be maybe some 4:0:0 subsampling shit if they let you actually save the full raw data.

The benefits of pixel binning are real.
The lies about resolution are what's not cool.
>>
>>3764485
You can shoot raw with 3rd party apps for maximum sharpness.
Also the 12 pro max does have a bigger sensor than the 12 pro or the 11 pro max.
Also, no matter how good a camera is, it's not as good as a better camera.
Also, you didn't know what you were buying before you bought it?
>>
How will camera makers even compete with this now??
>>
>>3764492
>if they let you actually save the full raw data.
They don't, the quad bayer ones always give you a binned file.
The 108mp ones for instance only give 27mp raws and the 48mp ones only give 12mp raws.
I assume they do this to retrain compatibility with existing raw converters (and so you don't notice how shit the full res raw is).
>>
>>3764380
This was shot with Pixel 3, handheld, while walking. I'm really impressed with current smartphones desu. I wonder why big trio is so slow to implement new tech into their cameras. The picture was taken by 12mp tiny sensor + some ml algorithms, imagine what could be achieved with ff sensor and dedicated ml-chip on some Sony camera. You can deal with chromatic aberrations that way, or softness on max apertures by applying some dlss or something
>>
I've got the Sony Xperia 1 ii which has a very similar camera to the ip 12 pro max, it has a slightly (0.1um) bigger pixel on the main camera, but the other cameras are the same, it produces nice images, miles better than my note 4 or OnePlus 3t, not much better than my note 8. Unless they start massively increasing sensor size (a7rII has 20.33um pixels compared to the 1.6um and 1.7um of the Xperia and iphone respectively) you won't see really comparable results.
>>
>>3764592
The top left looks distractingly bad. The top right has a lot of not so nicely shaped noise.
Other than that, fine for a snap.
>>
>>3764380
I got the 12 pro max and let me tell you the low light performance is next fucking level.

Here is a VERY low light snapshot taken in my bedroom last night with my Samsung note 8.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3764663
Here’s the same basic shot with no changes to the lighting, taken with the iPhone 12 pro Max.

Image Width4032
Image Height3024
>>
>>3764485
Yeah the shots out of the default app are good but they still don’t hold a candle to a real camera. What’s impressive about the iPhone is that it’s literally impossible to take a bad photo if you’re a casual user. Even if you shake the shit out of the camera it’ll just go back in time and combine a bunch of photos from before you pressed the button. Live Photos also have key frames so you can reframe to slightly before or after you pressed the shutter when shooting action.

You should give Halide a shot for RAWs. The RAWs are noisy but pretty usable in a pinch when you don’t have your main camera on you.

Also, for video, the iPhone holds up to vlog cameras like the ZV1 in good light.

Pic related RAW from an iPhone 11 Pro. Had to cook the shit out of it but it worked in a pinch.

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 11 Pro
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 (Windows)
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)52 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2020:03:27 18:13:40
Exposure Time1/25 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Brightness-1.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length6.00 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3764669
It sucks that Halide switched to a subscription model though.
>>
>>3764380
I am absolutely sick and fucking tired of seeing this thread pop up every month or so
>>
>>3764670
Nah it still has a one time buy option. The blog post was just worded confusingly.
>>
imagine how good this thing would be with modern smartphone image processing

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-GX7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)90 mm
Image Width4592
Image Height3448
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2015:01:09 14:26:19
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/14.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/14.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFlash
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length45.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width4592
Image Height2976
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3764674
Ah couldn't find it, only got a subscribe option.
Probably because I already had Halide before the update.
>>
>People unironically WANTING ML algorithms on their professional cameras

What purpose do you serve? Your ideal camera will replace you one day. You're just a monkey pushing a button, the camera and the "ML" are doing all the work, you mean nothing. The day will come when the "ML" does the composition for you too and the picture that comes out has almost nothing in common with the scene you fucking pointed it at.
>>
>>3764671
That's exactly why it's gonna pop up even more.
>>
whats the effective resolution on the Samsung S20 for the 64MP camera? can't find it on samsungs page
>>
>>3764665
Neat
>>
>>3764665
I used to use gcam to do the same, they stack images I think.
Usually come out pretty good except when the colors are completely off.
>>
>>3764676
Install gcam on it
wa la
>>
>>3765026
In case you we’re wondering there was a small source of purple light in the room when I took this. It’s small enough not to be picked up by the note 8 but the iPhone sees it just fine.
>>
>>3764679
normalfags want this because they can show off to other normalfags what cool pics they take without exerting any effort or learning. This is not a difficult concept. When you reach mobile camera tech that makes the faggot behind it the only limiting factor of picture quality, you try to limit how much that faggot can ruin the photo, thus ML.
>>
>>3765149
So you want to gatekeep photography. Admit you just want this little island of pretentiousness for yourself because it’s the one thing in life you have that gives you a false sense of value over your fellow man.

Please strongly consider committing a slow and deliberate suicide in a public place.
>>
>>3765158
I won't admit anything just because for some reason you decided to project an opinion on me. In my original post I gave no opinion on anything. And the goal of making the user think less is hardly unique to photography.
>>
File: IMG_20201123_204309.jpg (404 KB, 2048x1536)
404 KB
404 KB JPG
>>3765127
Yeah night modes can be pretty good.
Taken in a pitch black room. I could barely see the window here, the nearest street lamp is 20m away.

Camera ModelLGM-V300L
Camera SoftwareHDR+ 1.0.244457938n
Image Created2019:11:24 02:46:08
Image Width2048
Image Height1536
>>
>>3764679
>You're just a monkey pushing a button, the camera and the "ML" are doing all the work, you mean nothing.
Yeah, these exact same arguments were made about autofocus and autoexposure, and they were just as dumb and wrong then.

Hell, I'm pretty sure these arguments were made when people switched from wet plates you had to mix emulsion for in the field over to dry plates you could buy in a shop.

If your contribution to a photo can be replicated by a cheap piece of technology, you're a shitty photographer.
>>
>>3765306
Autofocus and Exposure ARE crutches though. If you can't use a camera that lacks those, you aren't even a shitty photographer, you're no photographer at all.
>>
>>3765344
If you can’t drive a manual transmit then you can’t drive a car at all.
>>
>>3765344
>If you can't use a camera that lacks those, you aren't even a shitty photographer, you're no photographer at all.
>>3765359
>If you can’t drive a manual transmit then you can’t drive a car at all.

I wouldn't care and you can't verify it. The most important thing is the final picture.
>>
>>3765359
where i live you need to be able to drive manual to get a license
>>
>>3765359
In most of the world, if you pass your test in a manual you can drive either. If you pass your test in an automatic you can only drive automatics. So yeah, it does imply that manual drivers are at least more accomplished and capable drivers.
>>
>>3765359
Yeah, that IS a good analogy.
>>
>>3765359
>>3765544
>>3765371

I think the analogy would be you can’t call yourself a driver if you can’t drive stick which is a very fair argument. There’s definitely a lot of value in knowing the mechanics of photography.
>>
Lumia 950 is still beating the latest iPhone in most shots. The 808 pure view would do even better.
Such a shame Windows mobile didn’t take off. It was aesthetic as fuck.
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/24051_CameraheadtoheadLumia950XLvsAp.php
>>
>>3765781
Technical specs =/= quality photos
>>
>>3765788
Are you agreeing with me?
iPhone has less megapixels and takes worse photos...
>>
>>3764671
Learn how to use filters on the catalog.
>>
>>3764663
>>3764665
>>3764669
>>3764592
>>3764380
>>3765175
>t. larper, never used a camera before
>>
iPhone 11 Pro Max takes surprisingly good photos with “deep fusion.” This was shot with deep fusion, not night mode. Came out really sharp!

Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
>>
>>3764592
What exactly is stopping you from taking that same shot with a DSLR and running it through a program with the same algorithms the phone does? Why do you need another expensive chip on your camera wasting battery when you can go home and hook it up to your computer to do all the computations?
>>
I just got a Samsung A71 and it doesn't let me shoot RAW, consequently I installed a gcam
apk and a xlm config corresponding to my phone. I can now shoot RAW but it's advertised as having a 64 megapickle camera, however, with gcam I only get 16mp. Don't get me wrong the camera is great but what's the deal? Is gcam locked out of this mode or is the 64mp software reliant and not a physical feature?
>>
>>3767679
At 100% it looks like a drawing from a shitty comic book.

Image Width4032
Image Height3024
>>
>>3767679
Girl "drummers" lol
>>
File: IMG_0077.jpg (757 KB, 3024x4032)
757 KB
757 KB JPG
It's mad how well the new iphones handle low light

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 12 mini
Camera SoftwarePhotos 4.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Image Created2020:11:27 19:09:16
Exposure Time1/14 sec
F-Numberf/1.6
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating2500
Lens Aperturef/1.6
Brightness-5.2 EV
Exposure Bias-0.3 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.20 mm
Image Width3024
Image Height4032
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3767732
Eh doesn’t look that different from some of the “professional” photos from the same concert https://thesesubtlesounds.com/matt-and-kim-celebrate-10-year-anniversary-of-grand-at-rams-head-live/
>>
>>3764387
>>3764395
You need to enable it, it's shooting in a mode to combine the photosites into a higher quality image. Mine is 64 and can shoot in either 16 or 64. Mine shoots in real 64 when I turn it on, not that I would use it for anything. I can confirm it for anyone who doesn't believe it with a line chart later tonight. Op is still a faggot though.
>>
>>3767732
Plus in a pinch you can get nice animated images like pic related
>>
>>3764492
I thought that too but it's not, put those blocks on the right together in a few more blocks, you'll see it see has groups of three colours together. Look at the middle block, it's R, G, G, B. They just need to be demosaiced differently for full res. Iirc they can also be run at different exposure times.
>>
The average normie doesnt give a shit and the new GS20 actually has a decent camera if you turn all the normie shit off

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.