[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: marcus.jpg (106 KB, 738x378)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Has there ever been an actual "good" film simulation. like... I mean VSCO Film was pretty good. Hell, It works for Marcus Smith. he's done a lot of the photography for the new EA Sports 21 games. (I know he just uses VSCO pack 2, mostly "fuji superia/the other generic B&W one)

But dont even get started on the con that is Mastin Labs.
But what about you guys? whats your opinion on the matter

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
Fujifilm Classic Negative, Acros, and Classic Chrome are the only good film simulations.

VSCO was never good and you weren't either if you thought it was.

Delete this thread you trashjuice drinking cum warrior.
>>
>>3750383
top kek

>posts on an anime image bored about generic JPEG filters on a fuji camera
>>
>>3750385
What is your point. You're doing the same thing.
>>
>>3750385
You know, fuji's film sitmualtions goes well beyond generic JPEG filters:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2020/08/18/fujifilm-film-simulations-definitive-guide

And if I'd have to say myself, they are pretty good. Idk about VSCO, photo on cover looks decent, but probably if you wanna have faithful film image: shoot film.
>>
>>3750379
VSCO are the only people I've seen don't properly, they get all their sims from using a colorimeter and color calibration card on actual prints from film (hence why there's no Kodachrome) to create not only curves but complete look up tables and color profiles. If you want objectively the closest to film colors you can get, there's no other option.

I would add though that I don't think their camera specific color profiles for using with their sims are worth the bytes they're stored on, just use a color calibration card when shooting and use the standard presets.

They also didn't put in much work on film grain simulation.

>>3750383
You're an idiot, even Fuji admits their film sims aren't made to look like actual film.

>>3750388
>Fuji isn't just filters
>Proceeds to demonstrate that they know nothing beyond the absolute basics of Photoshop and don't know how to create a color profile

Fucking keks, what do you expect from a guy that shoots jpeg. Listen to this guy and you're a fucking moron.
>>
>>3750402
Whole thread is astroturfed bait
>>
>>3750379
OP pic edits look pleasing but they don’t look like film. This is how most of the presets are. I think you need to really edit pic by pic to get a really filmic look.
>>
If only the mods took shitposting outside of /b/ as seriously as they take threats of sodomy against nophotos
>>
>>3750392
Thanks for this, and good riddance to whoever was ruining the thread with their projected insecurities. Is there any of the VSCO packs you'd recommend in particular?
>>
>>3750447
i like the portra400 preset on pack 1
>>
File: IMG_2402.jpg (3.81 MB, 3456x5184)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB JPG
>>3750460
No idea. there's no information on it anywhere. but other then their FAQ, they did a pretty good job purging all their relation to VSCO film (taking down their youtube vids, etc)

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 1300D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 7.4 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2018:07:30 14:39:18
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>all these deleted posts of OP revealing himself to be samefagging
lole still 6 posters
>>
I got all packs from 1 to 7. After trying other simulations, i've found VSCO to be most consistent and real compared to actual film scans. Hell I even applied presets to some scans and it made them a lot more punchy.
Only other I found quite good was RNI films, but still testing that one out. So yeah VSCO is still best, also they recently released kodakchrome for mobile check that one out.
>>
>>3750467
Sorry I deleted that post for a typo and didn’t repost. Yeah it’s like they never made presets...
>>
>>3750469
RNI has got some good presets. But as you said yourself, I find the consictancy to be off for sure. some pics definetly need heavy tweaking with RNI
>>
>>3750468
You’re a clown
>>
>>3750474
>samefags while trying to validate his vsco purchase to strangers on the internet
>I'M the clown
top kek, keep up the show
>>
>>3750476
You’re not responding to OP right now you big clownshoe
>>
>>3750485
Yes I am hahaha
>>
>>3750488
Legit sad
>>
>>3750476
>how dare half a dozen people have a conversation and not listen to my autistic outbursts

you're coming across as super needy babe, there's no need to be mad that no-one listens to you, just work on educating yourself and offering valuable posts.

>>3750447
All the VSCO packs are good for different things, I find myself using the instant film pack quite a lot for social media posts, whereas I use fuji reversal films more often in work for clients.
>>
>>3750492
>All the VSCO packs are good for different things, I find myself using the instant film pack quite a lot for social media posts, whereas I use fuji reversal films more often in work for clients.
Stop roleplaying. You don't even use social media. You're a loner without a cause.
>>
>>3750507
>you’re a loner without a cause

says the psychzoid calling samefag when he’s mad lel
>>
>>3750510
hes right, you know. you dont have clients.
>>
>>3750530
Again anon, you’re not responding to one person.
>>
>>3750531
Sure I am you autistic faggot. I'm going to fill your hairy cheeks with my fat wad of cum.

Go kill yourself.
>>
>>3750392
>VSCO are the only people I've seen don't properly, they get all their sims from using a colorimeter and color calibration card on actual prints from film (hence why there's no Kodachrome) to create not only curves but complete look up tables and color profiles. If you want objectively the closest to film colors you can get, there's no other option.

There are several companies that do just that. Replichrome, RNI, DXO/Nik's Analog Efex Pro. VSCO was, in my opinion at least, the least accurate. They were very clearly trying to cultivate that "VSCO look" so they could sell you their monthly subscription service on their mobile app and launch their thingken man's instagram. Too bad it backfired with the whole vsco girl phenomena of 2018, kek.
>>
>>3750547
You sound upset anon
>>
>>3750566
Lol if you really think Analog Efex looks good
>>
>>3750569
Did I say that?
>>
>>3750469
have any samples?
>>
>>3750379
Film simulation is fake and gay.
>>
So that settles it, VSCO is the best option and Fuji users need to see a fucking therapist.
>>
>>3750713
of course he doesnt
>>
>>3751081
Your crazy if you think VSCO is the best option. RNI is a hell of a lot better for faithful reproduction of film stocks.
>>
>>3753513
>using digital film scanners for profiling instead of wet emulsion

Absolutely haram, and aimed at plebs.
>>
>>3753520
>Trying to do a faithful reproduction at all

Absolutely unbased. All the presets like this just give you a super high contrast, green mess. The best presets are the ones that do they’re own, pleasing take on portra.
>>
Vsco is for mentally ill fags
>>
>>3750388
>Finally, we come to Fujifilm's monochrome film simulations, led by the gorgeous. ACROS profile. ACROS is the only monochromatic Film Simulation that mimics a specific family of Fuji's film, specifically the Neopan ACROS series. Many people don't realize that traditional black and white films responded differently to different parts of the color spectrum. These color-response differences combine with the details of each film's tone curve to result in a unique "look" for each emulsion. Changing the color mode from RGB to Grayscale in Photoshop just removes the color information from the image, leaving behind the luminance or brightness data. The contrast and effective color sensitivity will depend a lot on the characteristics of the color original, but in general, this luminance-only conversion tends to produce bland-looking images. You can of course just bump up the contrast in Photoshop, or even use the Curves control to create a custom tone curve, but I've personally never been as happy with the results I could achieve as I was with the black and white prints I made in the darkroom (many) years ago.
I audibly kek'd. Dunning Kruger off the charts, imagine acting like you know everything without even knowing to use black and white under adjustments instead of grayscale. Or an adjustment layer for non-destructive edition. What a clown.
These people are probably the reason Lightroom gets so much hype for doing things Photoshop was able to do long before, Lightroom basically spoonfeeds you.
>>
>>3750566
>vsco girl phenomena of 2018
elab, I'm not familiar with this at all
only learned they had tried to become some sophisticated instagram when Natalie Biden's VSCO profile started getting posted everywhere following the Hunter laptop leaks
>>
File: DSC_0440-2.jpg (1013 KB, 1500x1000)
1013 KB
1013 KB JPG
I've got both the RNI 5 All Films Pro and the 7 VSCO packs plus some extras. In my very limited time as a hobbyist photographer with equal limited knowledge, I've been able to get results that come wonderfully close to the bunch of pictures my family keeps. Of course, modern lenses being noticeable sharper than old, consumer tier lenses will make a difference but the feel is there. Then again, I might be visually illiterate, but damn if I don't enjoy tinkering with presets, curves and whatnot.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.6
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern824
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)51 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2020:10:08 08:39:43
Exposure Time0.4 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length34.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3759771
This looks nothing like film

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.