[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vmg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

New board: /vmg/ - Video Games/Mobile

New board: /vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

File: afd34-0454o33.jpg (38 KB, 539x359)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Is Pentax the true chad of the photography world? Think of this:

- DSLR only, no MILC consoomer bullshit
- All bodies weathersealed
- IBIS
- superior ergonomics
- K-Mount with a million lenses
- unique features like Astrotracer
- great design
- reputable japanese brand, these guys would rather commit sudoku than relase a shit product

Everyone and their mother dreams how the Nikon D700 is the best camera ever, best pictures, best build quality blablabla. EVERY Pentax has these features and much more.

I truly believe, that if the new APS-C flagship has a usable AF, one could buy it and never need another new camera.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
PhotographerDorian Zank
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
inb4 seething SNOYbois
>>
>>3695049
Is that the new APS-C flagship?
They said it got a completely redesigned AF and it has a selector joystick on the back, this could mean a D500 tier AF.
I have really high hopes for this new camera.
>>
File: 02_Pentax2020.jpg (31 KB, 573x352)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>3695061

yeah, thats the new one. looks a lot cleaner IMO, not as ugly as the older ones. I hope the new design extends to the menus as well, since they look ancient.

And yeah, joystick on the back + improved AF (whatever that means)
>>
I love my pentax. The only problem is they seem to be chasing an ever decreasing customer base made up of people who don't want to go mirrorless.

Some anon on here got it right a while back when he said that they're great at innovating, but never follow through. Its why they've still got basic AF and video and an assortment of shit-tier to loud as fuck af-motors in their lenses.

They are also utterly clueless at marketing. It should be piss easy to market pentax to landscape/wildlife/adventure photographers (and astro), and carve out a more sustainable niche for themselves yet they don't. Instead they're content to just appeal to existing pentax customers. That is great, but it isn't long-term sustainable.

That all probably sounds like I hate pentax, but I don't. I love them, I'll keep using my k3-ii until it dies or GAS kicks in, but, having been around at the time, pentax reminds me so much of amiga its painful
>>
>>3695068
I also feel that there a bigger consumer base for Pentax than what they have right now. Honestly some of the features they have are super useful: IBIS is not the hot shit and they had it for years for example

I really hope they can get new customers or at least a sustainable niche. It would be sad to see them go
>>
Pentax colours and the way they behave are fucking AMAZING in post. Everyone wishes they were Pentax.

Watch the A7III get btfo: https://youtu.be/cZM4ncJnetE
>>
>>3695068
>pentax reminds me so much of amiga its painful
Pentax is still going, Amiga and Commodore died 3 decades ago. Also Pentax has been around much longer than Amiga did, so don't be such a sour sally.
They opted for the photography aspect against useless consumerism and is the right choice.
>>
Pentax doesn't offer the lenses that I want. All the lenses were designed ten years ago. Or they are rebranded lenses like the 50mm f/1.4 which is the same lens as the Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4. I want a good wide angle lens and a good 70-200 and a small 50mm f/1.8.
>>
What's the connection between Nikon/Pentax and incels? Seems like every dslr user is a handholdless virgin from /pol/
>>
>>3695079
>because pentax haven't gone under yet there's no way they can go under in the future

absolute brainlet argument.

What I meant with the amiga comparison was that while their competitors are steaming ahead with new technologies they are sticking with what they do well at the cost of falling behind technologically. In amiga's case the market they were appealing to simply dried up as the technological gulf to their competitors became too large. Us all hoping pentax can implement a halfway decent AF system this time is a bit like amiga fans celebrating when (5 years or so after Doom) amigas got their first 3D FPS only to realise everyone had moved on.

Pentax's strategy could work if they marketed themselves to the people that their products would appeal to. They don't seem to do any marketing at all.
>>
File: 1478082902470.png (121 KB, 250x418)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
>>3695082
>the 50mm f/1.4 is the same lens as the Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4.

It's actually the other way around. It's a Pentax made lens that was licensed to tokina .
>>
>>3695082
Tokina doesn't design lenses on their own, they buy other designs, Pentax is one of the lens designers and manufacturers Tokina buys from.
The D-FA* 50/1.8 is a Pentax design, like every star lenses in their lineup, that includes the D-FA* 70-200/2.8. The 50/1.8 design is so good, it still delivers today so there is nothing wrong with an old design getting refreshed with the new coatings.
I have the plastic fantastic version of the 35mm that is similarly old design as the 50/1.8 and it delivers a solid and sharp image on my K-3.
>>
>>3695090
>The D-FA* 50/1.8 is a Pentax design
Sorry I meant D-FA* 50/1.4
>>
File: pentax40mm.jpg (56 KB, 500x222)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Don't forget the best pancake lenses in the world
>>
>>3695133
>fuckhuge bulky dinosaur brick DSLR
>stick a pancake on it
probably resembles Pentax shooters' bodies
>>
>>3695049
>these guys would rather commit sudoku than relase a shit product
Solenoid aperture failure in the middle tier K series especially the K30 and K50 unfortunately. Been using mine with manual lenses that have aperture rings because of that issue. There is nothing that comes close to how nicely the camera handles and how great the raw files are though. It's so much fun to use and looks great because it's blocky and not round plastic shit like canon or nikon.
>>
File: 58095.png (386 KB, 546x815)
386 KB
386 KB PNG
>>3695146
>Slender, modern mirrorless body
>stick xboxhuge lens on it
>>
>>3695133
Huh what focal length is that? Is it actually usable?
>>
>be me
>pentax chad
>get 4 K-mount lenses, all the lenses I need, for the cost of 1 of my Canonvirgin EF-mount lenses
damn it feels good to have bought the correct brand of camera
>>
>>3695337
Which ones?
>>
>>3695067
>>3695061
If these cunts call it the K-3III instead of the K-2 I'm going to have to punch someone
>>
if pentax is so good how come nobody uses them?
>>
I think of it all the time but even used Pentax still cost too much for me. Look at that deep hand grip and triple dial set up. They do everything right and I want one.
>>
>>3695146
>HURRR D-SLR SO BULKY AND ANCIENT
When will this meme die?
>>
>>3695394
They throw these things after you actually. Especially the analog cameras which usually come with a lens or two.
>>
>>3695323
40mm f2.8 XS
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/smc-pentax-da-40mm-f2.8-xs.html
Perty soft wide open but stop down a bit it's plenty usable. The regular 40mm f2.8 is tad bigger and more expensive but looks like it's got much better image quality right out of the gate. https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-40mm-F2.8-Limited-Pancake-Lens.html
>>
There are just no decent lenses for the K1. Only the aps-c and the 645 models have lenses that are on par with the competition. I wish Fuji made a 55mm lens for the GFX.
>>
>>3695457
Plenty of the apsc lenses work on the k1. What are you on about m8? What lenses can't you get?
>>
you know what else? look at that flash flap. Look how it says PENTAX on it. It just looks right, do you feel it? In a way that Canon, with their "look at us we're so unique" font, and Nikon, with their "whatever dude I'm tired just use Arial or something" font, just look like - who cares, that clean bold white PENTAX looks good, great even. Reassuring. Fulfilling. PENTAX.
>>
>>3695457
What about the FA 43/1.9?
>>
>>3695588
Seek some professional help, mate
>>
>>3695593
No no he’s right. The Pentax logo is confidence in letters
>>
Is the K 28mm f3.5 really as legendary as pentaxians claim?
>>
>tfw using a 56 year old Pentax SLR and it works perfectly and is built like a fucking tank
>>
>tfw like the look of the new 70-200 f4 because I mainly do landscapes stuff and it's light, but not sure if I actually need the whole zoom range, cos I've already got a 16-85 and the 100mm macro
>tfw buy a 1980s 80-200mm thing for 30 bong pounds off eBay so I can use it for a while to see what focal lengths I use the most
>tfw it's cheap plastic shit construction (making it very light) but actually really great optically

Pentax is great
>>
File: 1509200922826.gif (960 KB, 540x304)
960 KB
960 KB GIF
>>3695056
I'm not seething. I feel sorry for your predicament and wish you well.

I was also tempted to pre-order this new APS-C dslr with Full Frame viewfinder. but one of the reviewers have said the 9 million dot EVF is higher image quality, presumably at night.
>>
File: pentax_k70_swivel.jpg (128 KB, 600x336)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>3695067
The screen does not articulate. At all. Not in any direction.
Pentax is doubling down on the OVF and they are strong-arming their users to not use LCD monitor. And a lot of people are actually pissed about this.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Macintosh)
Image Width1772
Image Height992
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:09:02 07:27:06
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/22.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/22.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length84.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width600
Image Height336
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3696289
I kinda wished they'd put the articulating screen fro the k1, that thing is great.
>>
>>3696289
You shouldn't be using the screen beyond composition anyway, it's babbymode
>>
What I like about the fully articulated screen is that you can flip it. Apart from that I don't care about the articulating screen.
>>
>>3695049
Pentax is based for having like 8 or 9 black and white filters including blue which no one seems to do otherwise. The reversal film preset is also great but I wish it was customizable. Would be cool if the Pentax cams also received the Ricoh GR positive film effect in addition for another slide film look.
>>
>>3695061
im a loyal pentaxian, which has taught me to temper my expectations. I seriously doubt D500-tier AF
>>
>>3699162
An improved AF definitely will be a great improvement, D500 tier or not.
>>
>>3699215
>>3699162

Honest question: is the D500 AF really still that good? That cam is also getting a bit old now, isnt it?
>>
>>3699237
It was good back then, it's good now.
>>
>>3699237
>is the D500 AF really still that good?
Yes

>That cam is also getting a bit old now, isnt it?
That is the worst kind of consumerist thinking.

>>3699238
>back then
Are you 14? it was only a few years ago. People (who are actually photographing not just gearfags) still use 10 years old DSLRs, not to mention film boomers who use their cameras they bought in the 70s
>>
>>3699245
>Are you 14?
Are you a time traveller?
Years ago is still years ago, a week is still a week ago, moments that are left behind hence the past tense.
The D500 was released time ago and it was excellent, nowadays it still is as good as it was back then, perfectly serviceable for anyone who knows what they are doing.
>>
>>3699245
>That cam is also getting a bit old now, isnt it?
Dont misunderstand - I am sure that the D500 is as capable as it ever was. I was just wondering if other companies had the chance to catch up to its AF performance in the meantime.
>>
>>3699395
>I was just wondering if other companies had the chance to catch up to its AF performance in the meantime
That is a definitive nope. Sensor integrated PDAF can be capable but is actually less sensitive and can do false tracking in busy environment like a sports event.
That is why most sports photographers still use DSLRs. Well obviously not now due to covid.
>>
Soo what’s a good price to buy the K-70. In Amazon I see them from 550 to $750 ?
>>
>>3699597
>good price
Used. If you get into that realm you might want to look for a used K-3 instead for the same price.
>>
File: DSC_0001-02.jpg (66 KB, 800x450)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
k1 salami.... mmmm

Equipment MakeSony
Camera ModelSO-02J
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2020:08:04 01:07:27
Exposure Time1/32 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
ISO Speed Rating125
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length4.23 mm
Image Width800
Image Height450
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3700000
Makes me feel emasculated when thinking of the K1 alphas who can simply buy great old Pentax lenses without having to factor in the crop. Also checked.

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
PhotographerDAVID PHILPOTT
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)64 mm
Image Width6016
Image Height4000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:04:29 03:59:19
Exposure Time1/25 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length42.50 mm
Image Width1200
Image Height819
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeMacro
>>
File: CheckEm.jpg (26 KB, 300x245)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>3700000

check m
>>
>>3695592
I own it and it's my favourite lens of all time
>>
>>3700000
This image is really cool. Do you have a higher res version?
>>
is it a bad time to buy a K-70 right now? how long do you think it will be before Pentax releases the new APS-C camera, or do you think that won't affect prices?
>>
CRIMINALLY BASED DSLR CHADPOSTING ITT
>>
>>3700764
It won't affect the K-70 at all, the new camera is the APS-C flagship, maybe the KP will get a tad lower but not much. those are all different tiers.
>>
File: 20200804_043052.jpg (2.51 MB, 4032x3024)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
I'm Pentax now
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (41 KB, 640x480)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Pentax cameras always attract the cutest girls.
>>
>>3695588
I covered mine up with black tape. Most people outside look down on you if you don't have a Canon/Nikon.
>>
>>3701341
>Caring about the judgement of people instead of just expressing yourself and forcing them to look upon you no matter what they think
Weak
>>
>>3696434
Based
>>
>>3701341
Boooo! Boooo!
>>
>>3695049
I was looking at getting a pentax K20D from a used camera store online foir a DSLR to start out
is it good? or should i just pay the piper for a k5/70 whatever the hell
>>
Too much talk about feature oversaturation but 0 talk about image quality of the sensor.

Does Pentax beat Canon and Nikon quality-wise?
>>
>>3703299
I'd say if you can afford it get a used K-3 or a K-5II
Only go down to K-10D if you are desperate and very short on money.
>>
Just impulse bought a K-1, body only with grip and 3 batteries, for 1100€
Also I just realized I'll need FF everything and have to ditch my entire K-3 kit. Except for the Tamron 70-200/2.8
What are some cheap and decent normal and wide angle lenses I could get on my small remainder summerbucks?
>>
>>3703388
smashes them. just in terms of raw sensor image quality, pentax is king.
>>
>>3706757
40mm 2.8 is really fun. Both models are good but the limited is really nice.

77mm 1.8 is great too but twice as expensive. Maybe you could find a good used deal
>>
>>3706758
Do you have anything to back that up?
>>
>>3706956
Hmm...
I’ll see if my plastic DA 35/2.4 works well on FF, I have to scrape a bit more to get into the limiteds
At least I can use my Helios 44M to its full extent
>>
>>3706960
There is that test that smashes the newest Sony A7 whatever sensor with the original K-1. K-1 Mk2 smashes even more with the image processor accelerator chip
>>
>>3706964
>Sony
But the guy said canon and nikon.
>>
>>3695049
Pentax AF is shit
if AF is shit in their flagship fullframe, which I tried and it is,

I have no hope that their new APS-C would be so much better

I've heard this "better AF" BS many times since I started out with the Kx and moved from body to body

I left Pentax last year
>>
I love how there is always the odd one claiming AF problems where the forums and Flickr is chok full of shots with spot on focus. Including sports photos and moving shots.
>>
>>3707021
I started on Pentax, was great value at the time. IBIS, huge catalog of vintage glass, lots of features.

AF is accurate, and I wouldn't call it slow, but most lenses are driven by screw AF, which is NOISY. Having to listen to that BZZZT, BZZT gets old. Very distracting for street, wildlife, wedding/events. Even if it's the same speed, there's at least a placebo effect from hearing the AF motor.

Your argument is a bit lame as well, you can shoot moving objects and sports with manual focus, been done for years. Of course people aren't posting their missed shots for you to see.
>>
>>3701070

lol cheapskate ugly transgender motherfuckers. fuck outta here with that nonsense xD
>>
>>3701070

this is bait.
>>
>>3695056
But I a pentax slr too ...
>>
>>3707092
dude, there are internal focusing motor pentax lenses for years now, weathersealed for nature photography..

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.