[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vmg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: xpan.jpg (247 KB, 1600x1070)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
I always wanted to try this camera out but felt like it was not fitting my photography style.

Now I feel the desire to try it out again and it costs over 3 times as much as it did when I was thinking about buying it back then. Way too much for an electronic hard to fix camera.

How do I cope guys? I will never be able to try it out again anymore.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D600
Camera SoftwareVer.1.02
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)360 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:02:22 12:18:18
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating5000
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length240.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1600
Image Height1070
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Digital Zoom Ratio1.5
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: 2019-06-23 11.54.21_1 2.jpg (1.29 MB, 3013x1113)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
Annoyingly only Fuji GFX offer the 65:24 cropping ratio in-camera.

For the rest of us, just have to crop to 65:24 in post.

My favourite ratio easily.
>>
>>3690773
Lmao imagine thinking this looks good
>>
>>3690774
Looks good to me. :^)
>>
>>3690774
looks rad.
>>
>>3690772
There's several medium format cameras that can be modified to shoot panoramic 35mm like that. They'll be larger and heavier but functionally the same.
>>
>>3690774
looks damn good
>>
>>3690773
is this waterfall next to Mt. Fuji ? Can't remember the name.
>>
>>3690772
Nearly any medium format camera will shoot Panos on 135. If you don't care about having a working shot counter, you can buy 3D printed roll adapters and just load the film like you would a roll of 120. Just make sure you're shooting emulsion-side out. You'll have to rewind the film into the canister in total darkness, though.
>>
>>3690899
Nearby, well done. Shiraito falls.
>>
>>3690772
If you want to look at alternatives to do pano 35mm, a 6x7 camera will do. If you're ok with 24x56mm instead of 24x65mm, any 6x6 camera will do and you'll have more options. Even 645 will do, but keep in mind many of those are in portrait orientation. All this with some small cheap plastic adapters and no special back.

One of the negatives of going that way, is rewinding happens in the changing bag only, unless you find a way to feed into an empty canister in the takeup spool side. Also you'll need to mask the viewfinder for correct framing. For SLRs you can get someone to grind some fine lines on the focusing screen for the panoramic frame. For RFs you could use some some tape or maybe there's a gizmo to mount on the viewfinder with a pano mask.

Yeah it's gonna be heavier and less convenient but you save 2k and you get the ability to shoot medium format.
A compromise could be using a special pano back on an SLR. That way you get normal rewinding (no need for changing bag), correct spacing and exposure count indication, etc. . But they cost like $400+, sometimes more than the camera itself.
>>
Shoot 35mn in a Pentax 67 with viewfinder mask. Get access to that sweet 105mm 2.4 for the kind of shots xpan owners would only dream of.
>>
>>3690774
Looks good here
>>
>>3690772
It was an interesting camera, I have shot 3 rolls through on and enjoyed it. I like the images, the pano is neat, and the ability to switch to 3:4 ratio on the fly is great. But at the time it was 3x the price of a Leica, and pano starts to feel like a gimmick real damn quick. Now the price has gone crazy, it's a collectors toy man.
>>
>>3697450
>and the ability to switch to 3:4 ratio on the fly is great.
I thought you had to choose either pano or regular frame at the start of the roll and couldn't switch in between
>>
>>3690774
fine shot. i like it.
>>
>>3690773
>Annoyingly only Fuji GFX offer the 65:24 cropping ratio in-camera.
Lumix does but why not just crop?
>>
>>3699256
It's nice to compose seeing what you'll get.
>>
>>3699266
Fair enough.
You know what really shits me is having a 6 gorillion dollar camera that will shoot in 65:24, but doesn’t have panorama mode.
>>
>>3690774
it's a great photo fuck you
>>
>>3690774
I think you're the one with shit taste here anon
>>
File: 18980010.jpg (1.34 MB, 2500x913)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>3690772
First time I saw pictures out of it way back in the early 2010s, I wanted one.
Got lucky and picked up an og Xpan in 2015 for a reasonable price, have been using it as a daily driver and really enjoy the format (possibly my favorite camera).

The format is definitely not for everyone however if you have a chance to run a roll through one I highly recommend it, then start saving your tendies to buy one if you like it.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 9.3 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2020:08:03 23:28:40
Color Space InformationsRGB

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.