[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: FUJI_XT2_05.jpg (208 KB, 1200x675)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
What is, in your opinion, the best designed modern camera? This is referring to the physical body of the camera only, taking into account: functionality, aesthetics, etc.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5DS
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Macintosh)
PhotographerMarcello Miranda Castilho
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2000
Image Height1125
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:10:08 00:39:13
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/13.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1250
Lens Aperturef/13.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length100.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1200
Image Height675
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3477547
Sony a7 range.

Only brand to engage with modern product design and their minimalist, function following design is an absolute masterclass.

It will be appreciated more for its design in 50 years than it is now.
>>
I think the x-h1 is pretty neat
it has all that fuji aesthetic and hands on control combined with a little more modern approach and that nice shoulder display
>>
>>3477547
I hate the way modern cameras and lenses are designed. I understand that part of it is a product of having to put the tech somewhere, but I don't have to like it.
>>
>>3477548
>modern product design and their minimalist, function following design
Lol no, looks like Lego

I don't really think of cameras as a fashion accessory, it's a tool to do a job. A gripped DSLR, full frame tier, has just the right amount of heft. None of this namby-pamby shit for pussy-arsed faggots

Horizontal Resolution299 dpi
Vertical Resolution299 dpi
Image Width1500
Image Height1225
>>
File: leica-m10-23.jpg (48 KB, 756x425)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
timeless
>>
why do i love this thing so much
>>
>>
File: Fuji-XPRO.jpg (52 KB, 541x359)
52 KB
52 KB JPG

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image Created2015:01:20 13:38:11
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width541
Image Height359
>>
>>3477547
You posted it OP.
>>
>>3477547
The xt2 is so much better built than the xt3. What were they thinking with that shutter button looseness?
>>
>>3478401
I have an X-T3, what are you talking about? I’ve never used an XT2 either
>>
>>3478419
Just baiting to see who bites
>>
File: 1554985179314.jpg (115 KB, 1024x1024)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
peak ergonomics
>>
>>3478470
This but unironically.
>>
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 258x196)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>
>>3477547
Sony and Fuji are imo leading the way in terms of camera design, with Fuji perhaps having a slight advantage.

>>3477944
I love Leica too, but I have a hard time making the argument that my old-school inspired rangefinder holds up well to other manufacturers in the modern era, even if it is gorgeous.

>>3478470
Lightweight, pocketable, easy to use
Can't argue with the perfection of a disposable tbqh
>>
>>3479238
>Sony
Literately the worst designed cams in existence. Performance can be argued, but I don't think there a person that will argue they're well designed. I mean, even in their pro bodies, you need to rummage around the menus to get into something as vital wb. Their turn on takes seconds, ergonomically they're designed for robots, and they've stupid useless shit like that cross dial.
>>
the controls on the ricoh gr are so fucking good
>>
File: image.jpg (606 KB, 2208x1242)
606 KB
606 KB JPG
Probably the PEN F.

Image Width2208
Image Height1242
>>
File: dp1-front.jpg (54 KB, 640x427)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>3477959
>>3477944
meh

DP1/DP2 with accessory grip is the peak of modern compact camera design. It is smooth, metal, well thought out and visually balanced with accents only where necessary.
>>
>>3477547
>taking into account: functionality, aesthetics, etc.
these often conflict with each other you know
>>
>>3479246
I'd agree if it weren't for that fucking awful art mode front dial.
>>
Pentax K-3
Fujifilm x-pro 2
>>
>>3481235
Agreed! biggest ball drop by Olympus.
>>
File: PSX_20190518_110734.jpg (418 KB, 2000x1730)
418 KB
418 KB JPG
>>3477547
Not modern, but I like my Minolta X-700 body the most.
>not overly large
>relatively lightweight
>good battery life
>features programm automatic, time automatic, exposure compensation, good viewfinder to manualy focus
>full frame
Only downsides are that the fastest shutter speed is 1000 and I can't use the lenses on my other bodies.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 2000D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Express (Android)
Image Created2019:05:18 11:07:36
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3479243
>but I don't think there a person that will argue they're well designed.
I shoot Sony professionally. Their a7 series cameras are wonderful, and I'm happy with the ergonomics. I shoot with a 70-200 for hours at a time, and the grip is comfortable with or without the battery grip attached.

>you need to rummage around the menus to get into something as vital wb.
I don't understand this gripe people claim they have with Sony's menus. Everything is labeled and, thus, is easy to find. And Sony isn't short on custom buttons. You have:

-- C1, C2, C3, C4
-- AF-ON, AEL
-- UDLR on the wheel
-- The wheel center button
-- The wheel itself
-- 12 items under function

That's 12 custom buttons and 12 custom function menu items. If you can't map white balance to one of those, then you're an idiot. If you need more than 24 custom functions, then you're overthinking your photography.
>>
>>3477547
my 30D always felt great, it had heft, I love the dials and controls, and simple menu.
>>
>>3477931
You're so manly. I bet you like large trucks too.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (6 KB, 294x172)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>3477547
People can disagree on the aesthetics, but functionality-wise I'd say the Ricoh GR is hard to beat.
Haven't used the new III yet, but the I and II are compact yet comfortable and have an impeccable button layout that's perfect for one-handed shooting.
It's hard to explain, but you can really feel it was designed specifically as a pocket camera for enthusiast photographers (and not soccer moms/dads, dentists, spec sheet nerds, tech gadget people, camera fashionistas, vloggers, etc.). All the controls just make sense and every setting you'd want to change quickly on the move can be adjusted (again: one-handed) in a few seconds at most - often without even looking.

In a modern camera I don't think it really makes sense to separate the physical body from the software underneath when looking at design btw. Many important controls are purely digital.
>>
>>3482281
if they made a version that was 50mm-equivalent I might well own one, but 28mm-equiv can go die in a fucking fire.
>>
>>3481717
You may not have a problem, but lots of people do. The A7 series is in the uncomfortable position of not being compact and stylish like Fuji-X line, nor are they ergonomic for the vast majority of users with raw functionality like Canikon designs. They are like an uncomfortable go-between the two, and I'm not sure it's a trying to please two camps thing; they are just badly designed.
>>
>>3477547
I just came to say that this body design that has been embraced by Canon and Nikon and all the side brands is repulsive and I have hated it for the last 15odd years. When the fuck will we move away from this blob? Are they learning from Fuji and Sony?
>>
>>3483078
forgot photo

Image Width1000
Image Height1024
>>
>>3483074
>but lots of people do.
>nor are they ergonomic for the vast majority
These are unsubstantiated claims

>The A7 series is in the uncomfortable position of not being compact and stylish
Except that reports abound Sony is outselling Nikon and Canon and no report states that customers are returning Sony bodies because they're disappointed with ergonomics (or for any reason).
>>
>>3477931
>pussy-arsed faggots

reminded me of the evil sonic nine inch nails thing.
>>
>>3483080
It may look like a blob but a big canon body with a vertical grip is a joy to use. Love shooting my gripped A2E.
>>
Ey alter ich tu mit altem Billig Glas und bisschen Zellulose so als wäre ich nicht arm und ich denke die Welt würde das glauben xD
>>
>>3483499
Gesundheit.
>>
Ich kann das Salz von hier riechen xD
>>
>>3483495
it could be just as comfy to use without the portion you dont touch looking like fucking shit.
>>
>>3482325
just use the built in crop lol
>>
>>3483074
A7 range are the Most comfy camera I've ever used, you probably have beetus riddled yank hands.
>>
>>3479255
Design wise perhaps, but i wasnt the fan of ergo. I found x100 much more pleasing to use and also good looking.
>>
Is xpro2 graphite edition the sexiest digital camera ever created?
>>
File: 1511612010000.jpg (45 KB, 291x280)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>3483738
nope, too chunky by far, also
>aps-c rangefinder style mirrorless
>>
>>3483738
A fake rangefinder with a gimped sensor?

Iol, if fuji products were any cop, do you not think 3rd parties would support them?
>>
>>3483808
please fuck off with your 3rd party bullshit talk in a thread where we discuss design and esthetics
>>
File: 81xvVVcfFvL._SX425_.jpg (20 KB, 425x264)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>3483840
the design is fucked though. top plate droops to one side.
>>
File: fuji-x-pro2-44.png (385 KB, 800x600)
385 KB
385 KB PNG
>>3483840
back layout is an abomination too with tiny buttons spread out too much. it's a poor man's leica with ugly aesthetics.
>>
>>3483855
I think you are describing Sony.

Image Width800
Image Height549
>>
File: back.jpg (374 KB, 1200x986)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>>3483855
that layout looks organized, clean and quite aesthetically pleasing though, especially compared to... nearly every other camera, pic related a random example
>abomination
imagine having this much of a hate boner for a camera brand
>>
>>3483867
Yup, it's a brick!
>>
>>3483855
>>3483853
I think it's a very pretty camera in the sense that Fujifilm's previous MF rangefinders, and the Xpan, follow the same design language. The controls are also almost the bare minimum required for a digital camera, like the platonic ideal of Leica transposed to digital in a way that Leica itself, tied to its film heritage as it is (with all the MF glass, no electric contacts on M-mount, and so forth), won't do. Even the fake rangefinder window (actually the focus assist light) is bang on.

Needs IBIS and a screen that flips to hide itself though. And the secret-sauce SIMD routine they use to turn X-trans raws into Bayer approximation ought to get made open source, so that Darktable can quit sucking its way through an iceberg of dick en route to interactivity.
>>
>>3483887
Better yet, they need to ditch that x-trans meme. It's not an accident that their MF cameras have bayer sensors.
>>
>>3483911
>>3483887
I honestly don't get why it's so difficult to deal with xtrans. People know how the filter is arranged on the sensor...
>>
>>3483878
That looks like something a retard who only wears underarmor clothes and drives a mall crawler would buy.
>>
>>3483913
And that arrangement has consequences. Fewer and more widely-spaced red and blue pixels means that you have a more difficult job interpolating color information, and even smart algorithms will get that wrong more often than they will with Bayer. (The classic symptom of this is colors bleeding into where they shouldn't, giving you people with skin-colored teeth or the like) And its not exactly like it gives you some large benefit in return. It's a gratuitous difference made more to give Fuji's marketing department something to talk about than to improve your photos. Even if the problems it causes you are minor or can be worked around, they're problems you wouldn't have at all if Fuji had done what everyone else does.
>>
>>3483913
x-trans images look like they've had an oil painting filter applied to them. They reproduce mid-frequencies accurately and smooth out image noise, but their 3x3 pixel matrix render them wholly incapable really fine detail. The best example I found during my time with my X-Pro 1 and X-E 2 was foliage; an X-trans sensor shits its pants when it comes to foliage and makes everything look like rubbery cactus fronds, as it's specifically designed to enhance mid-frequency detail.

Fuji definitely know that X-trans was a mistake because they don't include it in their high end products. For the majority of the market, bayer is the right solution. X-trans goes in the opposite direction. If you want really fine pixel-level clarity, then bayer is already pretty great, but it doesn't get better than Foveon.
>>
>>3483911
It's not a bad idea per se: ditching the antialias filter and using a moire-resistant colour filter pattern.

>>3483913
It's hard because, as I see it from my cold northern ivory tower, babbymode Darktable devs can't into SIMD. So the xtrans interpolation stuff runs at 1/8 to 1/4 the speed, per core, of what e.g. NEF ingestion does.

>>3483928
>>3483984
I've not seen what you describe on my X-pro 2, but I've also not looked for them. Regardless I'm generally very happy with the level of detail the files yield at 1:1. If there's a grand sin of Fuji's X-mount system it's that the bodies apply sharpening and denoising to the data before dumping it onto the card; though it's a mystery how much Canikony do in their respective mirrorless stuff.
>>
>>3483984
Both xpro1 and xe2 are old as shit and as resolution increases theres also way less xtrans demosaicing errors. Especially now with xtrans 4 at 26mpix. Also software has come a long way too.
Aaaand thats a thread derailed.
>>
>>3483928
>>3483984
ugh not this crap again. save your "expertise" for another thread -- not that there's any chance this one won't derail completely now
>>
>>3477548
Laaaaaaaaaaame. I like Sony products historically, but the a7 series is just a 130x100x50 box with "Camera (mirrorless)" written on it in design terms.
>>
File: .jpg (400 KB, 1000x1000)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
>>3483867
hit a nerve there boy?
>tiny buttons spread out too much
exactly describes the xpro-2's back. how does it describe the sony? in fact, fuji liked that horrid design so much they even carried it over to the GFX100. now that's a barren brick with tiny buttons.
>>
>>3477555
My thoughts as well.
It reminds me of a smaller 50s
>>
File: panasonic-g9.jpg (179 KB, 1185x670)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
Lumix G9 is the comfiest and most well-rounded camera I've ever used. I was lent one a while back and I miss using it. Button placements, large and bright EVF, small lenses, card slots, etc. I'd really like to get one, but I'm still happy with my D750 and GX85. Also I have no money atm
>>
File: v3eoxboa8pu21.gif (1.49 MB, 480x360)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB GIF
>>3484019
>b-buttons too small
not everyone's a morbidly obese, fat-fingered baby hand freak like you, anon
maybe petition VTech to do a full frame Kidizoom if you need big friendly buttons on a camera
>>
>>3483984
Bayer in high end models? X-T100 entry level. Bayer sensor. High end? :-)
>>
>>3477555
I have X-H1 (along with X100f,X-T1 and XP2) and its my favourite Fuji to use. I like the minimal button layout also. Touch screen can fuck off though.
>>
>>3484148
I just have one Sony full frame body, because that's all you need with a brand that isn't trash.

Just fyi, your bodies at launch together would cost £5392... and you have managed to get a crop sensor system with no lenses. Big oof.
>>
>>3484139

lmao this is such a mean post
>>
>>3484156
>coming to mongolian knitting board to bitch about where and how people spend their income
yikes
>>
File: .jpg (106 KB, 1280x720)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>3484139
>morbidly obese, fat-fingered baby hand freak
i'm not sorry your hands are feminine and dainty. you should know what they say about men with small hands
>>
>>3484163
Oh, so spending about $7k on nearly identical cameras was a good decision then?
>>
File: 810_8999-back.jpg (231 KB, 1200x1153)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
>>3484019
Cringe

>>
>>3484205
If you convert that to rupees thatll look like even more. Also i dont give a shit where he spends his money.
>>
>>3484156
Fucking Yawn Jelly Sony Fag. Way to go derailing threads like you fucking Sony wankers usually do.Funny how this isnt the first time I had this response on this board so Im gonna assume your the samefag. I dont give a shit what you use so why should I justify my purchases to you? Here goes. "At Launch" means nothing to me...I bought the X-H1 for £750 for events. X-T1 (which my missus uses) cost me £175. X100F is my in my bag street cam £750. XP2 (£675) is my street cam whenever I want interchangeable lenses (lenses are 16mm £325,23mm £290,35mm £220,50mm £295) and back up for events. All cameras use same battery types..all match image wise..and I have invested in a system that I enjoy. In the past ive used Canon,Oly,Panny,Sony and the results and ergonomics from Fuji is what im happiest with. My money which I earn. My Choice. So kindly fuck off so we can all get back on thread. Cunt.
>>
>>3477548
none of them feel good in my hands. I've tried to like 'em but fail every time.
>>
Canon 6D
>>
File: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (21 KB, 612x408)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>3484238
You'd be pissed too if you were forced to shoot your photos with picrelated. It's sad, but facts are that sonygeers are prevailing amongst those that are sitting on their asses and defending their system, while days go past outside.
>>
>>3484238
Is this pasta?
>>
>>3484296
No its a genuine response...can be Pasta if want...anything to get rid of Sony blowjobbers
>>
>>3484352
Fucking Yawn Jelly Fuji Fag. Way to go derailing threads like you fucking Fuji wankers usually do.Funny how this isnt the first time I had this response on this board so Im gonna assume your the samefag. I dont give a shit what you use so why should I justify my purchases to you? Here goes. "At Launch" means nothing to me...I bought the A7RII for £750 for events. A7 (which my missus uses) cost me £175. A7II is my in my bag street cam £750. A6500 (£675) is my street cam whenever I want interchangeable lenses (lenses are 16mm £325,28mm £290,35mm £220,50mm £295) and back up for events. All cameras use same battery types..all match image wise..and I have invested in a system that I enjoy. In the past ive used Canon,Oly,Panny,Fuji and the results and ergonomics from Fuji is what im happiest with. My money which I earn. My Choice. So kindly fuck off so we can all get back on thread. Cunt.
>>
File: 2019_0523_17110700-01.jpg (291 KB, 1366x911)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>3484375
>Fuji is what im happiest with
Jesus fuck, if you're going to shitpost at least put a modicum of goddamn effort.

Fucking Sonyfags.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-T1
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)42 mm
Image Created2019:05:25 07:31:31
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1250
Lens Aperturef/1.0
Brightness-2.6 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length28.00 mm
Image Width1366
Image Height911
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3479245
>>3482281
I agree with all that. My Ricoh GR is my favorite camera due to how light weight and portable it is. Can barely feel it on me during a hike. I love the controls and how it fits in your hand.

I just wish it didn't have horrible autofocus, and I wish mine had image-stabilization. Now the Ricoh GR 3 at least has image stabilization, although I hear the autofocus is only a bit better.
>>
>>3484382
Fucking Yawn Jelly Fuji Fag. Way to go derailing threads like you fucking Fuji wankers usually do.Funny how this isnt the first time I had this response on this board so Im gonna assume your the samefag. I dont give a shit what you use so why should I justify my purchases to you? Here goes. "At Launch" means nothing to me...I bought the A7RII for £750 for events. A7 (which my missus uses) cost me £175. A7II is my in my bag street cam £750. A6500 (£675) is my street cam whenever I want interchangeable lenses (lenses are 16mm £325,28mm £290,35mm £220,50mm £295) and back up for events. All cameras use same battery types..all match image wise..and I have invested in a system that I enjoy. In the past ive used Canon,Oly,Panny,Fuji and the results and ergonomics from Sony is what im happiest with. My money which I earn. My Choice. So kindly fuck off so we can all get back on thread. Cunt.

happy now cunt?
>>
>>3484390
Are you 12?
>>
>>3484382
I think its best to ignore the cunt.
>>
>>3484375
Seething much? :-D
>>
>>3484413
>Seething
>>>/v/
>>
>>3484244
Go on a diet then.
If the best selling version of a tool doesn't feel right in your hand, it's your hand at fault.

>>3484238
Lmfao, imagine spending £2.5k on 4 identical bodies and only having 3 lenses, none of which are pro quality.
>>
>>3477548
Can't hold any of them without the lens cutting into my finger
Sure they look cool but they are unusable after more than 10 minutes for me
>>
>>3484584
Go on a diet you fat fuck
>>
>>3483129
>Except that reports abound Sony is outselling Nikon and Canon
Canon still numbah wan

there's constantly stories of people dropping Sony bodies, but the discomfort usually kicks in long enough after you can actually return it to a shop.
>>
anal intercourse, child abuse, alcoholism, delirium, overemotionalized and subsequently forgotten family tragedies. tööröööö
>>
>>3477547
Definitely Fuji. They have the most comfortable and useful bodies imo that balance well with most of their lenses.

Being able to pre-set exposure before even turning on the camera is awesome.

Also, I get lots of people asking if I'm using film or digital which leads to nice conversations and photo ops for portrait practice.
>>
File: pentax.jpg (371 KB, 2000x2000)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
Nggh
>>
>>3477548
You're a fucking nuisance and I hate you.
>>
>>3488566
Too bad pentax has 1980s auto focus lmao
>>
>>3488938
Because you know I'm right and you're sad your retro hark backs will be laughed at?
>>
>>3489125
Not him but no one likes those infinite scroll wheels. Just like those focus by wire rings, they suck, no one wants them in cameras. Marked dials are superior. Just like fixed position focus rings. Basically your camera design sucks ass moop. As does your opinion. Kys.
>>
>>3489125
I don't care about the subject really, it's you as a person.
>>
File: chamonixf2.jpg (70 KB, 1020x680)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
step aside digicucks
>>
>>3489131
I don't know what "ass moop" is, but no, focus by wire has loads of benefits, as do unrestricted scroll wheels. Maybe not for your simple ass that needs big numbers and labels on every setting as you don't understand how to look at a screen, but i think you're in the minority.

>>3489133
Wow, imagine letting someone's aesthetic camera preferences get this deep under your skin. How fucking autistic can you be?
>>
>>3489170
No, no, you misunderstood, it's you.
>>
>>3489176
Dude you seem triggered af why not let everyone know why you're so mad
>>
>>3489184
sony makes me mad because they are electronics company not photography company. argh!
>>
>>3489184
I'm not mad, I just don't like you.
>>
>>3489203
It's funny that, considering modern cameras are nothing but electronics, even the shutter is slowly being done away with.

>>3489204
Who do you think I am?
Why don't you like me? Because I like sonys camera design? How autistic are you?
>>
>he bumps dead threads to shill snoy
>>
>>3484534
>spending £2.5k on 4 identical bodies and only having 3 lenses, none of which are pro quality
This is what mirrorlessfags tend to do.
>>
>>3489682
>snoy
well meme'd fellow /v/ chad. what's your fortnite rank?
>>
>>3490044
Whatever the one's on top of your mom is fellow /p/rethren.
>>
Anyone saying anything other than sony has aesthetic appreciation equal to only Helen Keller.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.