[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 50 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1669304517835.png (669 KB, 1728x1080)
669 KB
669 KB PNG
New /out/ State rankings just dropped now we can get rid of the old troll one.
>>
>>2500600
Nothing to do in utah. Don't come here. You'll be miserable
>>
>>2500600
Florida should be a solid 8. The spear fishing is amazing. Hunting is good. And the skunk apes are sexy
>>
>>2500600
Why did you give all of Canada a 7? What.

>>2500615
You can fish in any body of water. People fish in ponds in city parks. That doesn't make it /out/.
>>
>>2500600
it doesnt make sense that Wyoming is a 9 whilst Montana is an 8....MT has everything WY and more.
>>
>>2500600
Better than the meme map but still some head-scratchers like Illinois and Indiana being rated higher than Ohio
>>
>>2500600
DO NOT come to Kentucky. There is nothing here for you. Nothing at all DO NOT COME HERE
>>
>>2500618
That's the upper peninsula of Michigan

>>2500622
Illinois and Indiana are better /out/ than Ohio tho
>>
What makes Mississippi 0.5 better than Alabama?
>>
>>2500638
The river walks
>>
>>2500629
How? Ohio has more lake access, more public land, better parks, comparable or better natural attractions, and closer proximity to better /out/ areas (PA, WV, VA, Eastern KY)
>>
>>2500600
Nevada should be split in half between north and south. North a 9 and south a 7.
>>
>>2500600
HI is a 10
CA is a 10
>>
I don't understand why both Carolina's are a 6.5. NCs outbanks slap the whole tourist attraction that is South Carolina. Myrtle beach alone drags SCs coast to a 3 at best. NC has better mountains on the other side as well. And comparing scenter of the states is laughable as SC is nothing but peanut fields.
>>
>>2500600
arizona has huge diversity i think its at least an 8
>>
>>2500629
You... you realize that the UP is just the same state, right? Was high school that hard for you? Jesus, anon.
>>
>>2500652
Ohio is mostly city.
>>
>>2500600
>6/10
I’ll take it
>>
File: map.png (281 KB, 1254x832)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
>>2500600
Fixed that for you
>>
>>2500685
Maybe
>>
>>2500600
>wyoming
>literally boring as fuck and looks like the moon
>9
lol
>washington
>the only state that has every biome on earth within its borders
>also one of the top tier states for mountains
>8.5
lol
>>
>>2500704
florida and a couple other states should get a 7.5 for their caves (most of these states have shit /out/ so don't deserve a 10)
but thats a pretty good chart
>>
>>2500710
Their is absolutely nothing good in Florida and when the ocean finally sucks up that shithole no one will even notice.
>>
>>2500618
I said spear fishing. Open water skin diving is as /out/ as it gets
>>
>>2500600
I feel like Georgia should be just a bit higher than 6, but I guess I didn't see much of it when I lived there and I haven't been to a lot of the Eastern seaboard. Georgia South of the Fall Line is legitimately gorgeous year-round, with tons of bodies of water. I guess a lot of it isn't public and, worse, is controlled by the military, so there's that. If you don't like pine and clay, I could see why you'd rate it lower.
Thinking about it, I guess it probably would be pretty mid compared to every where else I've lived.
Texas being a 5.5 is both too high and too low at the same time, just because it's so damn big. The Western parts next to New Mexico aren't any different than most of New Mexico, and Eastern Texas is literally just Western Louisiana. But, at the same time, the majority of the central part of the state is the most boring, plain, empty shit I have ever seen. Never wasted my time going to coast here. Might be best to section it off instead of consider it all one massive area.
>>
>>2500704
Muh mountains
>>
Now for some proper ratings

>10 New York

>9 Alaska, California, Hawaii, Maine, North Carolina

>8 Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Virginia, West Virginia

>7 Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Vermont, Wisconsin

>6 Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Ohio, Utah

>5 Arizona, Colorado, Maryland, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington

>4 Alabama, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, Wyoming

>3 Connecticut, Idaho, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota

>2 Delaware, Nevada, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Texas

>1 Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas
>>
>>2500713
i said just for the caves, and my reasoning is that good caves are the only thing the pnw lacks
above ground florida is dog ass
>>
>>2500728
washington is the most ecologically diverse state in the country. only part of the state is mountainous.
>>
>>2500621
Eastern montana is a wasteland. Eastern Wyoming has bighorn, black hills, medicine bow
>>
>>2500749
Florida is legit better
>>
>>2500833
Florida is the armpit of the U.S.
>>
>>2500654
Tbh you wouldn't know.
>>
There’s no way Kansas is on par with Ohio
>>
>>2500860
That would be Southern California*
>>
>>2500600
NH and MA are very interchangeable, it's weird that MA is multiple points lower
>>
I feel like my shilling has finally started to shift public opinion.
>>
>>2500709
Craters of the Moon ID is cool as hell but if you're talking biodiversity, sure there could be more tree species but the sheer scale of the mountains and valleys across the rockies more than makes up for it
>>
>>2500915
Nah.
>>
>>2500914
MA doesn't have the white mountains retard. Which are obviously the best hiking east of the Mississippi. Why didn't you say this for VT or something? You would have still been wrong but not so egregiously. You are a fucking retard and should be ashamed.
>>
>>2500904
Yeah Kansas is wayyy better
>>
>>2500899
ah yeah my bad, make Northern a 10 and Southern a zero
>>
>>2500686
I'd rank them differently too, it takes more effort to get up to the UP and it doesn't have any of the flatland that south and east Michigan have
>>
How does Iowa have a high rating than Nebraska? Both are relatively bad for out and should be the same, unless I'm missing something in Iowa.
>>
>>2500600
What's wrong with Nebraska? Nothing there?
>>
>>2501171
Nothing's wrong with it, conversely nothing's good with it.
>>
File: Niobrara.jpg (2.73 MB, 1512x1080)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
>>2501206
>Nebraska National Forest
>Chimney Rock
>Scotts Bluff
>Smith Falls
>Indian Cave
>Platte River State Park
>Chadron State Park
>Fort Robinson State Park
>Toadstool Geologic Park

should give it a higher rating than Kansas and Iowa
>>
>>2500786
>Eastern montana is a wasteland.
No. It has the Missouri breaks with the best Elk hunting in the Country...Bandlands with the best Dino fossils in the World and Fort Peck resevoir where you can catch giant paddlefish

Big horns are in Central Wy, Black Hills are 98% in SD...and

Montana has more designated wilderness and almost twice as much National Forest acres as Wyoming.
>>
>>2500600
I'd bump PA up to 6.5
>>
>>2501221
Nah. Kansas and Iowa are the same as well. They just aren't /out/ states.
>>
File: WichitaMountains.jpg (253 KB, 1200x630)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
Can we all agree that Kentucky and Oklahoma have the most underrated climbing spots in the country? Most people overlook the Wichita Mountains and Red River Gorge because they don't have "muh elevation". Their loss.
>>
File: Scottsbluff.jpg (1.9 MB, 2172x1448)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>2501224
Nebraska may not be an /out/ state but it still offers more than Kansas and Iowa. And North Dakota being rated over 3x higher is laughable. 0.5 - 1 point higher at the most.
>>
File: Wasteland.jpg (4.73 MB, 4080x2720)
4.73 MB
4.73 MB JPG
>>2500786
>Eastern montana is a wasteland
>>
>>2500600
>IL 4.5
>NE 2
Western Nebraska is beautiful and should be ranked the same as IL.
>>
>>2501231
Fags in the midwest don't realize that New England is the only good place left in the US
>>
>>2500600
There is no reason why Iowa shouldn't be at the bottom. The only worthwhile /out/ there is hunting, and even that's not thar good. The entire state is just corn/onions farms and cow pastures. Sure, it's "the outdoors" and not all built up with roads and cities, but that doesn't make it not shit. The winds roll through at 20-30 mph regularly, often reaching 50 mph gusts in the wintertime. This does have the benefit of making it so the snow doesn't pile up, but this also means there's jack all to do in the winter. And practically the entire state is private property owned by ornery farmers who are well within their legal right to shoot you for trespassing and they WILL do it. Granted, all my time in Iowa was spent doing surveys for scummy pipeline companies using a weird unknown law that let me onto their land, so my presence wasn't exactly appreciated. Still, unless you're fantastic friends and a local, there really isn't anywhere to go except your own property. Wanna snowmobile or hunt? Pay the landowners or you don't. Fishing? There's a few lakes with mediocre catch. And God forbid you want to hike or camp.
You couldn't pay me a billion dollars to live in that godawful state.
>>
>>2501229
Don't respond to trolls.
>>
I would think Minnesota would be ranked higher just because it has the Boundary Waters, that place is amazing.
>>
>>2500746
What /out/ activities do you partake in and what characteristics do you value? Such an odd ranking...
>>
every state gets a passing grade besides iowa, kansas, indiana, delaware, rhode island, connecticut, and nebraska
>>
>>2500623
I second this. What a bunch of nothing, terrible state. No good rivers, forests, or lakes.
>>
>>2501603
Not him, but here are the discrete factors that (hopefully) combine to make a good /out/ state:

>extensive public lands, i.e. state isn't covered with private property and "No Trespassing" signs (this is why Texas and Iowa in particular flunk every time)
>diverse and extensive waterways (creeks, streams, rivers, lakes, inshore, offshore) with a rich variety of species to catch, not too pressured
>diverse hunting grounds for fowl, ruminants, varmints, and preferably also big game, with reasonable local laws and regulations pertaining to hunting, not too overcrowded
>plenty of backcountry for hiking, offroading, mountain biking, primitive camping, birdwatching, nature photography, foraging, and so forth (this is partly why Alaska and Maine score so highly)
>extensive navigable waterways for kayaking, canoeing, jet skiing, powerboating, etc.
>beautiful views are a plus
>elevation is always a plus; flatland can be great /out/, it's just less likely

I believe the main reason Californians think the West Coast rates so highly is that they place far too much emphasis on beautiful views, the Grand Circle of National Parks, and the PNW. I personally love arid and semiarid grandeur, and I love the PNW, but there's more to going /out/ than scuffing boots down a trail with pretty scenery.
>>
>>2500600
Florida should be a fucking zero
this place is just a big dirty construction site
>>
>>2500713
Where on the map did Florida touch you anon?
>>
>>2501619
>here's what makes California a great /out/ state
>anyways, I don't see why California is rated so highly
What even is your argument.
>>
>>2501605
The north western portion of Connecticut is actually quite nice anon
>>
>>2500600
>Wyoming got a 9
Op was not a faggot for once, Bighorn NF is pretty legit.
>>
>>2500713
Oh boy another high tide zogbot
>>
>>2501637
Cope
>>
>>2501637
>What even is your argument
It's right there in the post, dumbass: nice views aren't all there is to being a good /out/ state.

California isn't the best in any single category, not even one, and it's middle-of-the-road at best for hunting. It rates very highly in almost all categories, however, and there's a lot of it, and quite a bit of variety, even in climate.

So I agree that it's at least an 8, and probably a 9. It's not a 10, though, and Californians who rate everything east of Texas a 4-5 (where they've typically never even been) are absolutely delusional.
>>
>>2501671
>California isn't the best in any single category, not even one
It has some of the best and most paddle-able whitewatwer of any state.
>>
every time i see threads like this there's a part of me that wants to defend the states I've lived in and know that deserve a better rating
but on the other hand I'd much rather morons who make lists like these just never fuckin come to my states lol, carry on guys, we don't want you here
>>
>>2500600
>Louisiana
>6
4.5 at best, also Arkansas should get a higher rating, they have the Ozarks.
>>
>>2500600
Texasfag here. 5.5 is generous. There are good things about this state but coming here for outdoors shit wouldn’t be the move.
>>
>>2501671
>It has some of the best and most paddle-able whitewatwer of any state.
But is it THE best? I wouldn't know. I've done whitewater before, but I mostly stick to paddling my kayak on lakes (I bring the trolling motor for huge lakes) or floating it down rivers when I know that a particular stretch should be safe (depending on time of year/recent weather).

I've been paddling since I was a kid, and there are family photos of me canoeing alone in Maine at age 8-9 (very early 1990s), but these days I overwhelmingly prefer to wade and fly fish and only boat as a concession to my fishing buddies, or when catfishing.
>>
>>2501777
>But is it THE best?
thats always going to be subjective but CA def has the most paddle/floatable whitewater in terms of river miles outside of AK.
>>
>>2500746
End your life
>>
How is ND better than SD?
>>
>>2501797
>How is ND better than SD?
It's probably just OP's best guess based on Googling, because the only reason to go outside in ND or SD would be to emigrate to a different state of the Union.

Similarly, no one has a dog in this fight for Delaware.
>>
>>2500614
agreed, also the lake will dry up soon and the whole state will be dead
>>
File: 1669319341424827.jpg (181 KB, 1254x832)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>2500704
If you're gonna include the northern bit of CA then the Eastern Sierra part of Northern Nevada should be there too.
>>
>>2501767
do not ever mention A****** or M******* online, retard
>>
>>2500618
Yeah, sitting on an ice chest while fishing for perch in a city pond is exactly the same as fishing for bull reds in a pristine, secluded brackish marsh from a kayak. There’s literally no difference at all.
>>
Where's the /out/ COUNTRY tier list?
>>
>>2500600
>Jew York better than PA
Also California should have a point or two knocked off for their gun laws.
>>
File: i_fish.jpg (128 KB, 1174x1440)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>2501975
>Also California should have a point or two knocked off for their gun laws.
That's partly why their hunting scene is virtually nonexistent and why they'll therefore never score a 10.

Hunting is the original form of outdoorsmanship. If your state sucks in it, cope and seethe all you want, but you'll never be on the very top. I don't hunt at all (I fish), but this is fairly obvious.

Californians unironically believe they can pretend their crap hunting scene shouldn't factor into their state's score.
>>
>>2500709
Wyoming should actually be a 10.
>>
>>2500685
everyone gets to blast off here that's for sure
>>
File: beartard.png (440 KB, 636x497)
440 KB
440 KB PNG
>>2501619
>Not him, but also retarded
>>
>>2501784
>I live in a barren wasteland: the post
>>
>>2501972
>US, Canada, Australia, 10
>everything else 0

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.