[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 15 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: nrt044-og-3.jpg (65 KB, 800x800)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
I'm stuck tossing up between getting a backpack in the style of picrel with MOLLE, or a normal Osprey kind of one.
I guess I think that an Osprey would be the more practical option, being lighter and probably more comfortable. On the other hand, having pouches and stuff attached to my bag is fun, I like the look, and in general I am not opposed to a bit of LARPing. I like the Highlander forces one in the pic but I can only get it in black in Australia, which will get too hot. Anyone know any other good brands?
>>
Mystery ranch is the best

Catch’s WW M8 XT
>>
>>2500591
I have a Savotta Jaakari L and like it. its made to have pouches attached to it, kind of barebones as shipped. Varusteleka sells them along with some cheaper options
>>
>>2500591
eberlestock little brother
>>
>>2500591
what are you planning on attaching that you need molle for.
the only things you strap to the outside are skis crampons and mattresses and bads with mounting points specifically designed for them do it better
>>
>>2500591
you do realize that PALS webbing is literally just a strip of 1 inch nylon cordura fabric right? you can just sew it on your pack to specification. i guess it would be fine if you don't already have a pack; but ultimately, it's as >>2500791 says: why do you need a strip of PALS webbing in the first place?
>>
>>2500591
skip the LARP shit and get a pack that can do both https://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/
if you're buying a cheap pack like the $100 one in your pic, recreational packs are way way way way way higher quality in that price range. especially used.
>>
>>2500791
No poles, just sleeping pad. I thought itd be cool to have things that I might readily need strapped to the outside, like a small medical gear pouch and other things I might want to grab whole walking without opening the bag up.

>>2500822
I did think about getting a normal pack and sewing webbing onto just the belt, which I think would be especially convenient. Ive never sewed before -- if it difficult / would I possibly fuck the bag up?

>>2500838
Those are cool packs. I don't mind spending a bit more but shits expensive in Australia. Ruggedness is a concern because I'll be doing some bush bashing and need it to hold up. Don't want some Chinese shit that will tear open easily.
>>
>>2500866
strapping things to the outside makes the balance worse and they bounce around.
whats the rush just open the bag and appreciate the rest
>>
>>2500881
I don't disagree. Can you suggest any good mid-range hiking bags then? I'm thinking about 40L for 1-3 day camps in the summer. I'm happy for it to be a bit heavier if it means that it will hold up to bush bashing through the scrub here. I would like to keep it around $250AUD if possible
>>
>>2500918
if you arent going anywhere major like a mountain top or a cave literally any bag will do
get whats on sale and save your money for more trips out
>>
>>2500591
What's the best 50L pack under $100?
>>
>>2500838
>skip the LARP shit and get a pack that can do both https://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/

>picks up meme hyper super hikerman ultralight backpack
>oh no, I "picked it up the wrong way"
>every strap on lightweight joke bag simultaneously fails
>definitely worth $300

>hiking and rub up against a rock wall
>every strap on lightweight joke bag simultaneously fails
>"sorry anon, the bag is for HIKING not for interacting with nature
>"no trace dontchaknow"
>definitely worth $300
>>
>>2501065
post your torso length if you want more than just random spitball recommendations. most cheap packs aren't gonna be adjustable.
>>2501822
those packs are external frame and rated to over 200lbs max carry and 70lbs comfort rating.
the same as savotta and mystery ranch's highest end packs.
wtf are you rambling about?
>picked it up the wrong way
every backpack has a haul handle, and you're not intended to pick up your fully loaded savotta/mystery ranch pack from the shoulder straps either, as they can tear out. if you don't believe me email the manufacturer of your LARP backpack and ask.
>hiking and rub up against a rock wall
those packs have 4x the tear strength and 4.4x the abrasion resistance of 420 denier nylon. they're made of thick woven dyneema + recycled polyester. not the fragile composite composite fabric stuff. they're more durable than your LARP pack.
>>
>>2501825
go outside

oh wait
you won't
>>
>>2501827
i got back from hauling bags of trash out of the swamp an hour ago :)
>>
>On the other hand, having pouches and stuff attached to my bag is fun
its valid if you just like the military look, but if you actually need it for a functional reason you can just sew that stuff onto any pack exactly and only where you need it.
>>
>>2500591
Make a malice pack!
>>
>>2501827
Bro, you tried to signal everyone that you’re an anti-lightweight shill but instead got blown the fuck out by someone who knows the ins and outs of a specific brand. Then you resort to the old “you don’t actually do the thing we’re talking about” insult. It’s best to just stop posting and be grateful that it’s an anonymous board.
>>
>>2501827
The jannies need to clean up witchhunting shitposts like these for the sake of the board
>>
>>2502111
The jannies are not outdoor enthusiasts. See pic.
>>
>>2502112
i don't think this board even has a janny unless we recently got one with the last round of applications, so all the moderation action on here's done by the global mods who don't read the board or even know what /out/ is.
>>
gonna answer op's questions now.
might fuck around and haul more trash out of the swamp tomorrow.
>>2500866
its easy as fuck to sew webbing on, depending on what you're sewing it into. i would recommend having a cheap ass sewing machine but you can do it by hand. i think everyone into /out/ should have a sewing machine: with all the posts i see on this board about people wanting their gear to be eco friendly i sure don't see a lot of posts about repairing gear ;) good life skill to pick up.
if you're trying to sew it onto a normal backpack you could figure out how to do that with a youtube video and you could do it by hand without a sewing machine worst case pretty easily.
if you're trying to sew it into some 1000 denier military style pack you won't be able to do it yourself because you'll need a specialty sewing machine. your local luggage repair place will do it for like 10 bucks its a 5 second job for them.
>>2501019
i agree with this anon's post 100%
any cheap backpack made out of normal ass recreational hiker-thickness nylon will be fine for you. skip on the ultra lightweight stuff but you don't need a full on 1000 denier larpbag. i've rock climbed in the same shitty $30 rei backpack for almost 20 years. i'd just get something cheap on sale from a cheaper recreational brand like kelty/granite/rei/whatever if i were you. aus market is probably way different than the burger market so i hesitate to do specific recs. do you have rei there? can't go wrong with their flash/trail packs when on sale.
>>
File: 1663148715702.jpg (50 KB, 600x600)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
and also if this is your first/primary backpack, i agree with you op 40-45 liters is the right size for most people for this. the one specific thing to look for is a pack that cinches down to smaller sizes well and carries well when it does. that way you can use this same backpack for your day-hikes and also your shorter backpacking trips, instead of needing two separate packs. not all backpacks 'scale down' well. picrel is an example of a good design.
>>
File: 1645056406361.png (218 KB, 545x409)
218 KB
218 KB PNG
the other thing to look for when buying is the torso length of the pack. have a friend measure your torso for you. when anon and i say basically any pack will work for you, its with the caveat: has to fit well. if you're looking at either cheap or lightweight packs they're often not very adjustable so make sure to get it right. watch a few videos on youtube about how to fit a pack & bring a simulated load to fill it up with if you have the luxury of buying your backpack in person at a store.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.