[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: HGM.jpg (106 KB, 1594x807)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
USDA Hardiness Zone Map: https://garden.org/nga/zipzone/

Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87

Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hugelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, City Slicker Composting, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting, Alpaca, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

Previous shitty thread >>2483706
>>
>>2500118
>>2500134
It might very well be but I have nothing else to do in the garden and I don't mind doing it. It's a 10-15 minute break outside for me.
>>
File: Mr Smith.jpg (33 KB, 354x500)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Just picked this book up from my Grandparents.

This man has soul and it's simply lovely. I'd really recommend watching his accompanying programme on YouTube.
>>
File: Fat bitch.jpg (2.26 MB, 1080x2400)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
Can I just put black walnut seeds (nuts?) In pots and leave them out over the winter if I want them to grow or should I shelter them under leaves/insulation? I'm in zone 5 if that helps, I've been told to do this but the person who told me was further south.

Also fuck this deer it ate part of my pear tree in the front yard
>>
>>2500651
Process a black walnut from husk to nutmeat and tell me why you would ever want to grow one of those shit trees instead of a persian walnut
>>
>>2500660
Use it to make pen ink.
>>
>>2500660
yep. nursing black walnut is truly a waste
>>
>>2500324
Critique my plan. Tell me how I will fail.
>acquire 1 acre lot in urban setting
>cultivate medicinal herbs and heirloom food crops
>process herbs into bulk dried ingredients, herbal tea blends, and maybe a few other products
>remove seeds from heirloom fruits and process/dry them to be sold
>meanwhile, develop similar herb/heirloom garden on family land several states away
>make multiple trips annually to remote garden for maintenance/harvesting/processing
>sell aforementioned products at nearby markets and eventually online
>???
>profit?
The 1 acre lot is up for sale and, having spoken to the seller already, could be mine by the end of this year. The family land used to be farmed by my grandfather and hasn't been used for farming since he passed. My mom and others still live there but I could probably eke out an additional acre just for my operation. What could go wrong?
>>
File: IMG_20221124_074927.jpg (1.31 MB, 1880x1962)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
Hi frens. Anyone can recognize wich are strawberry plants? Some fren said At best the one with serrated leaves. So should i remove the other obes? I just don't get, i buried the seeds of two strawberries.
>>
File: IMGP3609.jpg (496 KB, 2048x1365)
496 KB
496 KB JPG
>>2500867
>be me
>get a new job 2 hours away
>bring all my plants to my friends house to look after until I find a place and settle in
>have a hard time coordinating weekends
>finally after 6 months we're both free and I drive up and get my plants
>she killed my bottle brush
>take it home anyway, throw it outside on the patio
>buy thyme seeds and plan to use the pot for those
>finally get around to throwing the bottle brush into the compost bin
>go outside to grab it
>holy shit
what a fighter bros, I'm so glad I waited :']
>>
File: IMG_20210527_105252-2.jpg (2.33 MB, 3024x4032)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>2501015
Very cool picture and good ending.
>>
>>2501021
I hope it looks that one someday
>>
>>2500867
I don't see anything in your pic that resembles a strawberry to me. You do however have some cute purslanes coming in and what looks like some kind of legume at the bottom. I could be wrong about that last part.

Strawberries are easy to propagate from stolons so maybe try that instead of seeds.
>>
>>2500818
Have you done the math?
- What exactly do you want to grow and sell?
- Do you need permits for your product?
- What will be packaging costs and other costs associated with selling?
- How high do you need to price your product in order to break even / make a profit?
- Where and how will you dry the herbs?
- How much can you grow on acre, what is that converted to dry matter?
- Is there a market for what I want to sell?
>>
>>2500818
What's the deal with the second plot? If it is so far away you don't want to make the trip to often, but for many herbs you can or rather should harvest every week during season.

Defnetley put a low maintenance crop wherever you will be less. Pumpkin might do the trick.
>>
>>2501098
>Have you done the math?
No I don't have exact figures for anything yet.
>- What exactly do you want to grow and sell?
This part I have mostly figured out. I may change my mind about some things down the line but I have enough ideas to get started. I've collected a lot of the seeds I need and I have live plants to propagate as well.
>- Do you need permits for your product?
I know I'd need permits for some things like prepared food. Trying to steer clear of that for now. I think dried herbs fall under a different category but I'm not aware of specific regulations.
>- What will be packaging costs and other costs associated with selling?
No idea.
>- How high do you need to price your product in order to break even / make a profit?
Don't know yet.
>- Where and how will you dry the herbs?
Ideally on site at my urban farm with a dehydrator. I don't have a dehydrator yet so I may use air drying in the beginning.
>- How much can you grow on acre, what is that converted to dry matter?
No idea. I've done this on a smaller scale and got like 1 or 2 oz per week. I'd supplement my inventory with sourced ingredients too. So a tea bag might be half my stuff and half sourced.
>- Is there a market for what I want to sell?
I believe so. I've met a lot of vendors in the area with similar but not identical products.

>>2501182
It's not utterly necessary but it's attractive because it would basically double my growing area and I wouldn't have to pay to use it. In some ways it helps to be remote because some plants will cross pollinate and hybridize if they're in close proximity. That would be bad if I'm trying to cultivate pure strains.

And yeah the goal is to stock the remote garden with slow growers and things I can only harvest once in a season.
>>
>>2501255
Selling raw agricultural goods is rarely ever restricted. But depending on where you are drying them might count as processing already, or you might need a license to sell off-farm.
Do you know which tools you need and how much they will be?
How is the climate where you are?
Would a greenhouse/tunnel be worth it?
Where do you get water from?
Do you have access to good fertilizer? (preferably ruminant manure and compost)
>>
getting ideas for seeds to get me for christmas to plant on spring
any cool flower or fruit that you want to see someone try before you?
I'm willing to give anything remotely interesting a chance, but I like gardening herbs that are good for you/have weird health effects
>>
>>2501367
How about a grafting challenge? It's one thing to sprout seeds, but another to raise your own frakenplant.
>>
Just purchased my seeds for when the dangers of frost go away (it'll be a while). Still have my freeze resistant veg in the ground and it's doing well, but I prefer the warmer weather crops.

This year my new Zeeland spinach came back and I even had to pull it like a weed in some of my other beds. Invasive species that are productive are great. Trying out a bunch of new heirloom varieties I haven't planted before. Also pre-ordered a bunch of trees/bushes at 25% off. The goal is to remove the unproductive ornamental trees and bushes from the previous homeowner and have everything green producing something for me and my family. Wish me luck friends
>>
>>2501255
Depending on whether your life depends on the earnings or if it's a side hustle where you can make mistakes and take your time to grow (hehe) I'd say go for it. If you're thinking about quitting your job for this I'd advise you against it for obvious reasons.
Have you dried doing the whole process on a small scale first as a test run? E.g. growing a few plants, harvesting and drying, and then trying out the tea blend? Personally I drink tea daily and I have also made my own peppermint tea in the past. It tastes way different than the bagged one and even loose tea that you can buy.
>>
File: 1669472013050.jpg (252 KB, 806x1074)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
>i wonder who ate all my celery
>>
>>2501629
cool, a pair of hand warmers!
>>
File: white shit.jpg (245 KB, 1600x702)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
What is this white shit, and what the best way to get rid of it?
>>
File: file.png (644 KB, 553x745)
644 KB
644 KB PNG
is this normal for a fig tree? Its cold now <10C it grew normally in summer but now its turning yellow...
>>
>>2501367
both ideas are good, gismme ideas
>>
>>2501309
>Do you know which tools you need and how much they will be?
I have a good idea as to what I'll need, but not how much overall cost will be. I'll set a monthly budget and just buy what I can.
>How is the climate where you are?
Climate is pretty favorable for growing. Zone 7b.
>Would a greenhouse/tunnel be worth it?
I think I can get by without one but yes, eventually I'd like to add one.
>Where do you get water from?
City water supply mainly, although I'd like to have a rainwater catchment device too.
>Do you have access to good fertilizer? (preferably ruminant manure and compost)
Can't name a specific source now but it's within reach. I know for certain there are horse farms in the area. I wouldn't be surprised if there are cattle nearby too.
>>
File: figgot.jpg (858 KB, 1366x768)
858 KB
858 KB JPG
>>2501649
It's most likley nerve gas, you will die in your sleep, sorry anon
>>
>>2501697
>I have a good idea as to what I'll need, but not how much overall cost will be. I'll set a monthly budget and just buy what I can.
You can get lots of tools for free/low cost if you ask around or look on whatever the craigslist equivalent in your area is. Also consider your soil type. Certain tools are only worth it in special soil conditions

>Climate is pretty favorable for growing. Zone 7b.
Nice, good

>I think I can get by without one but yes, eventually I'd like to add one.
They are quite the investment, but will prolong your growing season, imo quite the competative advantage if you want to sell fresh produce as well

>City water supply mainly, although I'd like to have a rainwater catchment device too.

>Can't name a specific source now but it's within reach. I know for certain there are horse farms in the area. I wouldn't be surprised if there are cattle nearby too.
Many horsepeople don't care about their shit and are happy if someone takes it from them, not a bad place to start.
>>
>>2501697
>>2501737
Shit forgot the water thing.

You'll need lots of water during summer, like the majority of your working time will be spend watering during a dry episode. Long term is good to have your own water, because it will likley be cheaper then city water, but it shouldn't be a giant cost factor anyways
>>
>>2501736
well thanks kraut I didn't know figs trees leaves fall off always thought they just stay on like citrus trees.
>>
>>2501641
Wait for spring
>>
>>2501783
in the future you can check whether something is deciduous or not, which by definition describes genetic loss of leaves in winter.
>>
>>2501793
It's not snow
>>
File: 200.gif (307 KB, 266x200)
307 KB
307 KB GIF
Well fuck. Brought my tomato and pepper plants in. Mom is growing pot plants. Suddenly we are absolutely infested with fungus gnats (I think that's what they are) and they are fucking EVERYWHERE. What do I do to get rid of these? I keep putting down traps and it doesn't seem to help.
>>
>>2501629
Does your little sign say “sellery” lol
>>
File: garden.jpg (1.24 MB, 2032x2048)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
How can I use this space better? Summer is a week off and I've just planted watermelon seeds in the large bed and capsicum/jalapeno in two of the side containers, with one tomato plant at the back next to berries
Have I missed this season?
>>
File: IMG_20221127_180507.jpg (1.76 MB, 2192x3104)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>2502033
Alternate photo
Foam tub on side has cucumber seeds which are yet to sprout
>>
>>2501996

you need to stop over watering your plants.
>>
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question in but i live in what is basically a rain forest,always super high humidity. How can i preserve meat in this climate? Will smoke and salt keep pork or deer good for the winter months even in this climate?
>>
File: 338.png (386 KB, 773x616)
386 KB
386 KB PNG
>>2501629
You know what you need to do, anon
>>
>>2502059
They've hardly gotten any water as it is because I need to take them outside until some saucers for them come and I am lazy since it has gotten cold. May abandon this pepper plant so that'll help. I ordered some mosquito bits though to give that a whirl
>>
>>2502142
You need a much larger round or it would be inhumane.
>>
File: fiddy cal.png (461 KB, 627x587)
461 KB
461 KB PNG
>>2502164
best I can do ya for
>>
File: Capture.jpg (13 KB, 336x507)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>2502169
Please... think of the rabbits...
>>
>>2500867
serrated leaves yes those are strawbs
>>
What are some fruit trees/shrubs/berries, anything really that is ok with a shady spot and has some sort of produce?
>>
>>2501996
diatomite could be your friend

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.