[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 76 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

What do you think happened white mountain bros?

https://www.wmur.com/article/lost-hiker-new-hampshire-franconia-notch-1122/42040436

>The search is continuing Tuesday in Franconia Notch for a missing hiker from Massachusetts.

>Emily Sotelo, 19, from Westford, was dropped off for a hike Sunday morning at Lafayette Place campground by her mother and has not been seen since. She had intended to hike Mount Lafayette, Mount Haystack and Mount Flume.
>>
>>
>>2499910
Kidnapped by Bigfoot. She’s looks like a man though, so who cares?
>>
>>2499910
Instagram/covid tourism claims another victim.
>>
>>2499912
fpbp
>>
>she was last seen wearing a brown jacket, low-cut hiking sneakers and exercise pants. Officials said she she was also wearing long johns.
lmao

>Sotelo's parents told News 9 that Sotelo is an experienced hiker but does not have much winter hiking experience.
Confirmed for popsicle.

>Officials said there was no indication she planned to meet anyone for Sunday's hike.
She should have planned to meet her Maker.
>>
>>2499926
>She should have planned to meet her Maker.
>>
File: 1664450210684506.jpg (294 KB, 951x838)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>2499926
That's beautiful, anon.
Sadly, she probably is a popsicle, most likely 400' from the trail. SAR will find her in some spot in the immediate vicinity and everyone will go "How did she get lost within line of sight of the trail?"
>>
another one bites the dust. kate matrosova 2.0, dumb as fuck white woman hiking solo made into a popsicle
>>
>>2499929
based nooticer
>>
>>2499960
Somebody need to make a comedy called "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Kate Matrosova"
>>
>>2500007
Ty Gagne wrote a book about it, “where you’ll find me” and another book, funnily enough, about Franconia Ridge
Worth reading imo
>>
>>2500011
Yeah, they handed that book out at work lol. Didnt read. I want the comedy version.
>>
>>2500013
>I want the comedy version.
idk man it was pretty funny if a bit clinical
>>
my favorite genre of wilderness disaster is solo wealthy white woman meets reality
>>
what are the temperatures there like? she went alone?
>>
>>2500023
>alone
yeah
https://news.yahoo.com/search-rescue-teams-continue-combing-041327603.html

>An experienced hiker, Sotelo, according to media reports, was dropped off at a trailhead near the Lafayette Place Campground in Franconia, New Hampshire, around 5 a.m. on Nov. 20 by her mother, who watched her head off on her trek.

>Described — on the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department's Facebook page — as 5 feet, 3 inches tall with brown hair and blue eyes, and weighing 115 pounds, Sotelo (who turns 20 on Wednesday) was wearing a brown jacket and exercise pants, and was carrying very little water, food or lighting equipment.

>Temperatures along the ridge she is believed to have been hiking on dropped to 0 degrees on Sunday, with winds ranging between 30 and 40 miles per hour.

>"She was wearing sneakers, potentially some wind pants, not really ready for what the temperatures are right now," Charlie Stewart, with the all-volunteer Pemigewasset Valley Search and Rescue group, told WGME-TV.

kind of baffling how unprepared she was
>>
>>2500025
I could survive that desu.
>>
>>2500025
>who turns 20 on Wednesday
About that
>>
>>2500025
Trail runner fags blown the fuck out by winter conditions
>>
>>2500089
Ive run into them on that same trail in winter and wondered what their plan was if they fell and busted their shitn slid off of the trail. Hope somebody happened by? They werent carrying enough layers to be static that exposed for very long at all
>>
>>2500100
What would your plan exactly be in case of accident if not calling for help, retard?
>>
>>2500025
>who turns 20 Wednesday

Not anymore
>>
>>2500113
>What would your plan exactly be in case of accident if not calling for help, retard?
Greetings, dayhiker.

If you're underdressed and underprepared, and you cease physical exertion (leading to a significant drop in core temp) due to an injury, you'll have hours at the very most in windy, near-zero weather to call for help before you die. Additionally, being injured can lead to shock and other reactive symptoms.

So you'll still be signaling for help if you break your ankle, but if you have an emergency blanket, extra layers, bivvy, heat sources and fuel, etc., you'll love long enough for that to maybe save you. Also, a rape whistle, a flare gun, signal mirror, and/or EMS beacon are much more effective than yelling.

Be prepared, be spared.
>>
File: 1645314858469.png (585 KB, 688x418)
585 KB
585 KB PNG
>>2499926
>>
>>2499910
I hope she's found. Better not be another Maura Murray.
>>
>>2500100
> wondered what their plan was if they fell and busted their shitn slid off of the trail
As you said they literally have no plan whatsoever, they don’t even have a plan of what to do if they have to stop moving for any reason
>>
>>2500130
its a recovery operation now according to people close to AVSAR. if they can’t find her body today they probably won’t be able to get her off the mountain until spring thaw
>>
>>2499910
>>2500025
>>An experienced hiker
Doubt

Someone tell how difficult this three mountains are.
t. euro

>>2500117
This. Anything to signal for help.
>>
>>2500185
>Someone tell how difficult this three mountains are.
Technically, not very. The weather however, is the among the worst on the planet. The highest recorded wind speed not in a hurricane or tropical cyclone was recorded on Mount Washington within the range at over 375 km/h, and it is regularly cold as Antarctica in the winter. Simultaneously, the range lies at the nexus of almost every major wind current in North America and is wildly unpredictable. People die from hypothermia in the middle of July on sunny days occasionally and things can change in an instant.

Her experience from the looks of it was 40 mountains in the range (done mostly in summer from the looks of it) so she wasn’t a total novice but I suspect she never had seen real winter conditions before if she went to trail run above tree line on a weekend with terrible weather. Her mother apparently said that she was trying to finish the 48 4000ers peak bagging list for New England prior to her birthday (today) so they had rented out a fucking hotel room of all things near the mountains and she was chauffeuring the daughter around.

A similar case to look at would be Kate Matrosova who did basically the same thing, but probably knew better.
>>
My thoughts are that she got too comfortable with her experience and didn’t prepare even though she knew she should have
>>
Would these conditions be survivable with a space blanket in a snow cave? What's the absolute minimum gear you would carry if there was a chance you'd be spending the night?
>>
>>2500220
> Would these conditions be survivable with a space blanket in a snow cave?
probably not
>>
>>2500220
>What's the absolute minimum gear you would carry if there was a chance you'd be spending the night?
A spacesuit. If you’re above tree line at night I’m the winter you’re dead.
>>
>>2500220
possibly for a few more hours if you have someone looking for you, anything that gets you out of the wind will help a lot but if you have the gear and skills to dig out a snow cave you're probably already prepared for winter conditions anyways.
>>
They found her, RIP
>>
https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/search-for-missing-hiker-in-nh-now-a-recovery-operation-officials-say/2902276/

>He said she was located between Lafayette Brook and the mountain's summit. Search crews had found some indication Tuesday that she had gone into that area but ran out of daylight and resumed their search on Wednesday.

>"It looks like she had been blown off the top of the mountain in the high winds and cold temperatures," Eastman said.
>>
>>2499910
Ive hiked Lafayette a bunch of times, she is a profound retard. They found her body at the bottom of the mountain near lafayette brook on the greenleaf trail, like 1.5 miles from 93.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (145 KB, 1050x645)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>2500289
>>
>>2500185
The hike she was planning to do:
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new-hampshire/franconia-ridge-half-marathon-route

With spikes and winter gear it wouldnt have been bad, rigorous but the path on the ridge is well kept (albeit totally exposed to 50 mph winds all day) and plenty of butt sliding. DESU its a great hike, one of the best ive ever done. Seems like she didnt have winter snow pants on tho, and possibly was wearing sneakers. The searchers called her "woefully unprepared". October hiking in Franconia is NOT November hiking.
>>
>>2500294
actually she was planning on adding flume as well. Another 700 feet and 4 miles. Flume slide is one of the worst descents in the whites so probably aiming for Osseo trail
>>
>>2500294
Any proof she was actually going to do this? I saw it posted but no real evidence. Having a hard time believing anyone would be stupid enough to try the slide descent alone let alone in trail tunners
>>
>>2500297
Its what her mom said, Lafayette to Flume. Thats the franconia ridge. She was doing the 48 so she was picking up Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty and Flume
>>
>>2500297
meant for >>2500295 re: slide
>>
>>2500301
you can go down to lincoln woods from flume via osseo, there are stairs. its not bad, i did it in winter.
>>
File: IMG_20191123_121016471.jpg (1.65 MB, 4096x2304)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>2500185
This is what her itinerary suggests she planned to hike down. I did Flume up liberty down three years ago today. Micro spikes and winter gear was barely enough to do it safely , we should have had ice picks as well. But my group of four is experienced. She was apparently wearing sneakers as well.
>>
>>2500290
Are you fucking kidding me, that's not even exposed
>>
>>2500338
The leader of SAR said she was blown off the ridge and her gear was found scattered
>>
Underdressed

Underprepared

Underground
>>
>>2500336
i did it on a dry summer day and there was so much bacterial water that it was like a slip and slide. 68 minute mile.
>>
>>2500339
Interesting, I feel like that area usually has winds blowing toward the east. It's super variable and tough to tell though, that's why you have to be so careful in the whites.
>>
https://nypost.com/2022/11/23/hiker-falls-1000-feet-to-death-after-ledge-slip/
>>
She'll be found 50 yards off the path after following a trail of her clothing, death due to hypothermia, many such cases.
>>
loling at the retards that think she was unprepared. She knew what she was doing, she had done several before and you're a pussy if you think you need microspikes to hike on ice even with elevation, all that happened was she was unlucky with the gust of wind hitting her. That's it.
>>
>>2500388
How are you descending this in running shoes while keeping warm enough in your undies to not die of exposure, sweaty?
>>2500336
>>
>>2500388
be sufficiently prepared you don't fall victim to "bad luck"
>>
>I am not aware of the white mountains

she was a massachusetts hiker who had done 40 of the 48 in summer, aint shit
>>
CONFIRMED DEAD
>>
>>2500366
another one, nice
>>
>>2499910
idiot went hiking in wet cold weather on a mountain, she got stuck somewhere and died of exposure.
>>
>>2500117
>concerned with what she was wearing
>where was her rape whistle?
>victim blaming
confirmed mysoginist
>>
>>2499910
They found her body. Press F to pay respects. She may have been foolish but she was just a kid, this could have been any of us, we have all done stupid things.

F
>>
F
>>
File: 1643142847250.jpg (741 KB, 828x826)
741 KB
741 KB JPG
>>2499910
>>
>>2500480
She got killed because of some high wind made her fall off a ledge.
>>
>>2500481
did you miss the part where they literally found her tracks, she tried to bail out, was probably already hypothermic before summiting lafayette and wandered >>2500290 here
>>
>>2500366
>https://nypost.com/2022/11/23/hiker-falls-1000-feet-to-death-after-ledge-slip/
>Her horrified hiking companions subsequently called emergency services, who dispatched a rescue helicopter to the scene. However, by the time they reached Masocco, she was already dead, per their reports.
This sentence is way too funny to me.
>>
>>2500204
>>2500294
>>2500336
Okay so the hike itself doesn't look all that challenging but judging from what anons are saying the weather/wind is the real enemy.

How can someone look at the weather forecast for this hike and be like "yeah longjohns, some pants and a wind jacket will do". Even the warmest day this week (2 degrees) requires a layer system. I don't care that she had no cold weather experience. You read up beforehand. Every time I've faced new weather conditions I've been over-prepared rather than being under-prepared (which means I've had to haul shit I never ended up using but nonetheless)

Tell me bros, is this a symptom of woman brain (I am strong Independent woman) or is this normies in general not knowing jackshit about the real world?
>>
File: 1662456284044.png (195 KB, 259x348)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
>>2500366
>when the alpinist slipped and fell “screaming” into a ravine and out of sight
This is some Loony Tunes shit
>>
Accidents happen. Stop acting like you dumb retards know all.
>>
File: Mariacristina-01.jpg (51 KB, 818x1023)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>2500516
lol
>>
Damn, poor girl. Not sure what the fuck she was thinking going out in weather like that dressed for a nice mild day hike, but that can't be a nice way to go. We don't really have that kind of cold where I live -- at what point would she have started to realise how deeply she fucked up? Would she have been panicked much or just in a daze until succumbing to the cold?
>>
>>2499926
that's fucking mean anon (laughs)
>>
I'm an inexperienced /out/doorsman. I don't really hike, I just like to camp. Assuming you cover the big 10 in gear, dress appropriately with extra layers in the pack and have basic navigation skills (taking bearings with a compass, etc.) and a physical map of the area, how hard is it to die like this in 0 to -10 deg C? Assume no sprained ankle, just "shit I got lost". Am I gonna die if I have a tarp and a space blanket that I know how to use?
>>
>>2500548
oh wait a second is that 0 Fahrenheit?
>>
>>2500548
Impossible unless you fall in water.
>>
>>2500553
I think I got confused and thought she died at 0C, but reading this post >>2500204 clarified. So this chick went out in trail runners and mild weather gear with no backup in a fucking arctic mountaineering situation? And the people who dropped her at the trailhead did not try to stop her?
>>
>>2500401
>you can't fall and die if you pack your house with you
Retard.
>>
>>2500551
Yes.
>>
>>2500300
>>2500297
What really baffles me is that people around her let her do it.
>>
>>2500566
You cant tell these whores anything.
>>
>>2500569
OK at least refuse to take her to the trailhead. If I were her parent I'd contribute as little as possible to her suicide
>>
>>2499910
F
>>
>>2500570
You think her parents were smart enough to know?
>>
>>2500585
How do you Americans get away with getting so rich while being so dumb?
>>
>>2500381

So, it was bigfoot?
>>
>>2500555
-30F windchill, it was 30F at ground level and below 0F at night
>>
You know you had a nice butt, but girls with that kind of hair always have a smelly one. Never try ass stuff, even just going down he crack will make your finger stink, nice to look at though. Avoid the red line in their crack
>>
>>2500792
Her hair just looks so greasy and unwashed. That's kind of gross.
>>
>blown off the top of the mountain

What does this look like
>>
>>2500025
I was under the impression that women rarely did skill-demanding things alone because how can they get attention from that. Unless she was planning to somehow post selfies every 30 seconds along the way with cold fingers, but not even that would provide enough dopamine to sustain an average 20 year old woman
>>
>>2500931
She was peak bagging which is like a slightly higher time preference form of selfie mental illness
>>
>>2500497
the "however" and "per their reports" are what do it for me
>>
>>2500561
i guess you're right, i'm just pretending to be tough
>>
>>2500587
why would the parents think they know better than her? they have the exact same information, but they're not the ones super into hiking
>>
>>2500025
her mother should have smacked the shit out of her for even thinking of any of this. who lets a college sophomore hike on her own in a place like that?
>>2500499
she was 19. plenty of 19 year old boys would do the same stupid shit.
i know this is 4chin and it's le funny to blame everything on "woman brain" or whatever the fuck, but this stupid shit could have happened to a man too. the fact is, she went "hiking" on her local dog walking trail, saw a tiktok or something of some retard at one of the most touristed places in new england, decided to go at literally the worst time of year and assumed she could handle anything because she was 19 and thought she could do anything. i see plenty of retarded boys doing the same shit because they're barely out of puberty and they have everything to lose and nothing to prove. anyways. she should have known better, absolutely, but the mother should have absolutely forbidden it. every adult woman i know would have absolutely told her no.
>>
>>2501004
Nah.
>>
>>2499910
F

Though I kinda hope with cases like this hiking will become less popular. I don't want to meet any other hikers when on the trail.
>>
>>2501004
When a guy goes out not knowing jackshit about real world, he comes back bruised, cold and a bit wiser.
When a woman goes out not knowing jackshit about real world, she doesn't come back.

We're build differently. Males can take more risks and thus faster gain more experience.
>>
>>2500951
I mean, that's true, but you don't have to be an expert to understand if someone is dressed inadequately to go on the fucking mountains. When you get older you are supposed to have some common sense, wisdom, or at least some basic concern.
>>
>be mother of an annoying, cunt parasite of a daughter
>convince her to go hiking without enough gear
>in mountains
>at the end of fall
>"what could go wrong, daughter? You're more into this hiking stuff than me! I'm sure you'll be fine"
>she actually listens
>>
Is this the dead hiker general? Another woman froze to death yesterday, this time in Utah.
>>
>>2501140
Again?
>>
>>2501140
kek
>>
>>2501140
it should be, would like a /dhg/
link?
>>
>>2499910
>Mount Lafayette is a 5,249-foot mountain
>Mount Haystack is a 4,960-foot mountain
>Mount Flume is a 4,328-foot mountain
she's gonna be fine
>>
>>2501239
east coast CONFIRMED more rugged than west coast, we have billion mph winds and antarctic-tier windchill at elevations lower than your comfy mountain yuppie towns
>>
>>2501275
No, this bait does not taste subtle or flavorful. Very lazy work.
>>
>>2501004
they are literal retards who have never been outside. dont worry about it
>>
>>2501280
i wasn't trying to bait, i just thought it was funny. because it's true
>>
>>2501292
Marginally more seasoned bait this time. C-
>>
>>2501383
if you think about it, the ocean is the most rugged place, the waves are rarely more than a few dozen feet above sea level yet no human can hike it more than a short distance from the trailhead
>>
This is sad. I hope we're all proven wrong.
>>
>>2502093
She's already gone, anon. Is it sad? Yeah. But at the same time, she is one of dozens of cases like this, where common sense and a little caution could have prevailed and would have saved her life. Hopefully people learn from this.
>>
File: zoarvalley.png (287 KB, 559x785)
287 KB
287 KB PNG
>>2502102
>Hopefully people learn from this
They won't. And everyone will end up paying the price for other people's stupidity.
>>
>>2500542
Hypothermia is actually not a bad death. There would be a period of cold/shivering, but once that stops delirium and unconsciousness set in before any real pain, after which death comes on with a gentle touch. It's a slow transition so there isn't really an "oh shit" moment in the same way as other accidents or being mauled by a bear or something.
>>
>>2501004
Why does everyone always blame the mother? Ah yes, because everyone knows fathers do jack shit to raise anyone
>>
>>2501081
Yeah, I’ve been on plenty of unprepped hikes and I’ve never really been close to dying. Idk what these retards have to do to actually die. I’m betting suicide honestly. If it was so cold that she froze to death then she would’ve turned back long before that happened
>>
>>2502357
Because her mother dropped her off and clearly this retard is the product of single motherhood.
>>
>>2502478
It’s literally a 5 miles swim in an ice cold river and then another 30 miles to the nearest road and they didn’t bring an in reach lmfaooo

YOU FUCKING SEIM IM COLD WATER FOR HOURS IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER L
M
F
A
O
WHAT
THE
FUCK
>>
>>2502491
Dads fault he left
>>
>>2502478
>unprepped hikes
In November, above the tree line?
>>
>>2502519
>above treeline
>east coast
Settle down, anon.
>>
>>2502519
Can someone explain this tree line thing? Once and for all? What is it that magically occurs at or above the tree line?
>>
>>2502548
Minimal shelter from the wind
>>
>>2502505
moms fault she cheated
>>
>>2502705
Dads fault she cheated cause he was abusive and neglectful
>>
>>2502756
And didn’t help her with the kids or chores
>>
>>2500336
>waterstop
>>
>>2502548
Can't hide from the ayyliums once you're above the treeline.
>>
File: 1646537066395.jpg (17 KB, 413x395)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2499926
>>Officials said there was no indication she planned to meet anyone for Sunday's hike.
>>
>>2503083
Funny enough, one of the most famous early ayyyylmfao abductions "happened" right there
>>
>>2503090
See? I told you about the treeline, dawg.
>>
>>2499913
Better be careful with that comment. I made mention she looks like some one and I got banned for it.
>>
>>2501081
mate what are you talking about men die doing stupid shit all the time
>>
>>2502548
Its literal magic, therefore unexplainable. Have to experience it to get it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.