[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why do people carry a hatchet or large knife to process wood when hiking in? I always just collect deadfall, and leave anything that’s too big for me to break up by propping one end on a rock and stomping or jumping on it
>>
You larp as you see fit and I'll do the same.
>>
>>2499906
What ever makes you feel cool or helps you have fun.
>>
>>2499906
Because they're car campers anon
>>
>>2499941
>>2499906
same type that doesn't carry a gun
>>
>>2499906
In the time it take you to somp out some awkward sized pieces, I've chopped up nice evenly sized, easy to carry pieces from whatever I feel like.
>>
>>2499951
By the time you're done flailing your retard wand on live branches that burn like shit I will already have a fire started.
>>
>>2500003
By the time you are done being airlifted out of the woods by EMS because you slipped and shattered your leg while jumping up and down on slippery dead fall propped up on pointy rocks, like a caveman, I'll have a comfy base camp set up and I'll be settling down next to the fire to smoke a pipe and do some whittling.
>>
>>2500006
Not him, but do you even go outdoors? Smashing up wood isn’t dangerous lol
>>
>>2500095
Not any of these guys, but it could be depending on the conditions and how retarded you are. I was retarded and set it the jumping method up badly. The broken off part of the log bounced upwards and hit me against the mouth, got a bloody lip.
>>
>>2500003
By the time you have your fire going I will be behind you to cave your skull in with my axe for saying that I cut live branches to burn on the same day.
>>
>>2500105
You can be retarded with an axe too, when I was a kid I cleaved a hole in my leg.
>>
>>2500006
>>2500115
wow, burned me so hard...
..but, seriously:
Tell me you're fatty car campers without telling me you're fatty car campers.
>>
>>2499906
For the weight of a hatchet, I can carry an extra 50 rounds to shoot down dead branches.
>>
>>2500162
I'm a fatty because I can carry a few extra pounds? You ultralight niggers are colossal faggots. You could never pack a deer out like a real man can.
>>
>>2500095
It was just a shit post, I didn't think anyone would unironically attack someone for carrying an axe/hatchet on their person while out in the woods. I like having it in my kit and being fully prepared is part of the experience for me, I also carry a gun, the same people probably think that is foolish and unnecessary too. If ultralight minimalism at the expense of preparedness is how you like to enjoy the outdoors, who am I to pass judgement.
>>
>>2500235
>The point
>
>
>
<-----(you)
>>
>>2499906
I live in the PNW and in the winter any deadfall lying on the ground is 100% soaked all the way through. It simply will not burn without drying it by the fire beforehand. To collect dry firewood in the winter I have to find standing deadfall (where the top hasn't been broken off), cut it down with a saw, saw it into usable pieces, and chop those into firewood with an axe or hatchet. I process those down into kindling to get the fire started.
>>
>>2499906
Because Im strong and I can hike with an axe for days.
>>
>>2499906
when I'm cambin in my parent's acres I just do the stomp trick or even burn large logs in half.

however, if you're cambin in uncertain areas and aren't totally assured of your safety, having a hatchet for processing firewood is a good excuse to have a weapon in hand or nearby at all times

same thing with bear spray. much more likely to torment a crackhead with it than an actual bear but if anyone asks questions "it's for bears mister ranger"
>>
>>2501035
You suck at life if you need an hatchet/machete/saw in the PNW to make a fire during any season. I'm 100% certain you can't tell a Cedar from a Fur tree or a Spruce from a Hemlock...He'll I doubt you can tell a pine from a cottonwood.
>>
i live in northern norway and own four axes and hatchets. hardly ever use them for going /out/ just for wood i've bought or harvested myself for using /in/ and even then a saw does 90% of the job
when /out/ there's standing dead trees or piles of bone dry wood if you look within 100 meters of wherever you currently are unless you're above the treeline or in a protected heritage area. axes are for homes and cabins unless you're actually hoboing for a year+ innawoods which nobody here does
>>
>>2502570
I like my machete for car camping and making kindling--i have a nice hatchet i just never use it and when I make kindling for my dad, at his place, i use his hatchet and don'tlike it as much. Axes are for woodpiles for sure. I almost never use the handsaw...it's for trees and bushs i prune for my mom because she wants the cut to be pretty (as if anyone but her will notice lol--i don't tell her that)
>>
>>2499906
I only bother to make a fire maybe half the time, but when I do I don’t need a saw or hatchet. I can still see a few reasons why someone else might bring one though.

>it’s fun
Mind your own business and let people enjoy things.

>it’s a crowded or popular area
The more manageable pieces of wood will be more scarce, but larger deadfall might need to be cut up. This is especially true for the people of /out/ who don’t travel far from the parking lot.

>they’re staying in one place for a few days
This is the same issue as above; you need more firewood, and the smaller stuff won’t cut it. In both cases it’s a convenience; you don’t have to search as far.
>>
>>2500194
based solve-every-problem-with-a-gun sigmanon
>>
>>2499906
>car camping
which is like 75% of my camping
chainsaw and splitting maul

>backpacking in
folding saw and knife for muh batoning, if i'm even bothering with a fire
>>
>>2502725
>Chainsaw for car camping
jfc where do you live, the amazon?
>>
>>2502968
where there's trees? is that somehow unusual to you?
>>
>>2502971
>Go to a park or national forest with a chainsaw
nope
>Go to blm land with a chainsaw
nope
>Go to private property with a chainsaw
maybe, I guess, they usually have cabins already and don't let just anyone manage their trees
>camp on a clearcut with a chainsaw
that's blm land, so again, nope
it's a valid question. Most of the remaining forests in America prohibit randos from logging, axes and machetes are ignored but falling trees is verboten.
so my immediate inclination is to believe you're a liar.
>>
>>2502991
point to where i said i was cutting down live trees, retard
>>
>>2503049
>The point is I'm a liar trying to troll a firewood thread on /out/
Lol, lamo. Like it matters in a park or on blm.
>I totally go out
>OK, where
>reeeeeee, dodge dodge dodge, ad hominim
Seek professional help
>>
>>2499906
>why dumb people use sharp rock when got feet? Feet good enough for Grug
>>
>>2503133
trying too hard, kiddo

if the concept of trees falling down during winter is beyond your comprehension then i dont know how to help you
>>
File: file.png (227 KB, 1024x1024)
227 KB
227 KB PNG
/out/ memed me into buying a saw and it was shit, couldn't cut anything but twigs, cutting even medium logs would take forever. Next time I'm bringing a camp axe.
>>
>>2500003
Standing dead trees are far drier than any deadfall. Every degree a dead tree is leaning over results in wood humidity. 10%+every degree from straight up.
>>
>>2503196
lol
>I'm not lying, stop outing me as a liar, and stop spewing basic knowledge that anyone who lives around forests know
lol, a chainsaw..loool..
all this because I asked you where you used said chainsaw and you couldn't
Priceless
>>2503260
Depends on the tree.
I'd have a fire going by the time you finished swinging your retard rod around and I actually know the difference between trees so would also select the best wood to use.
Nice imaginary formula. You obviously dont know what fatwood is.
>>
>>2503260
>dead tree leaning at 45 degree angle
>wood is at 450% humidity
>>
>>2503290
bro you've never camped before, have you?

you're getting super offended at anybody who expresses a shred of experience
>>
>>2503351
>where do you use a chainsaw bro?
>reeeee, you don't out or know anything about sap flow, reeee
um, ok
lol
yes, you are indeed pathetic
>>
>>2503246
if you bought gerber that's on you, bahco laplander and the silky saws are pretty tried and true folding saws
>>
Axelets really are pathetic.
>>
>>2503607
Why pay for a hipster brand when you can go to your local hardware store and get the same thing for like $40?
>>
>>2503627
Nice try. You aren't getting anything that isn't a complete piece of shit locally for $40 outside of a fiskars or an estwing...you might get lucky and find a Sthil for $120 bucks that is just a Ochsenkopf that would sell for $60 in Europe.
>>
>>2503304
How badly does one have to fail math to think that 10+45 = 240 ?
>>
>>2503701
240 should read 450
>>
>>2503702
Not either of those posters but the formula is bullshit from the get go. The type of tree, the reigon and how long its been sitting are the biggest factors. A year old fallen pine will burn better than a two-years-dead standing oak in a temperate forest because the sap content will concentrate in the pine knots.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.