[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: A1W+QdBUTPL._AC_SX679_.jpg (111 KB, 679x509)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
Hi! My friend and I are going on a backpacking trip next week. What are some tips when camping off trail in a national park? Do rangers often hike at night time? Is it better to make camp at the base of the mountain or more towards the sloped top?
>>
File: 1668232219377154.jpg (1.2 MB, 3072x3072)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>2496624
You can really camp in any national forest unless it is explicitly said you cannot. I camp all the time in the Daniel Boone and I haven't had any problems. Also camping on the higher ground is better. One time I camped in a holler and I woke up really wet.
>>
>>2496624
You can camp pretty much anywhere in NFs. Look up the details on their website. I think there's some rules about cutting firewood and stuff. I never paid much attention because I cook on an alcohol stove.

What tent is that? It looks nice.
>>
>>2496624
Also, I've only seen one ranger out of like the million times ive camped at DB. I guess it depends on what trail you're hiking at and how popular it is. Just remember to camp 300ish feet from the trail and leave no trace.
>>
>>2496649
i dont know what tent it is i just ripped it off of google images, but thank you everyone for your suggestions!
>>
>>2496627
>>2496649
>>2496658
He said national PARK not national forest. They have different restrictions and a lot of it depends on the specific park.
>>
Stealth camping general? I’m trying out a new spot this weekend. It’s a wooded peninsula along a river back behind a city park. People don’t go back there often, even less so now that it’s cold, so it should be perfect. I’m going to build a fire at night because it’ll be cold as shit without one, so that might be seen from the other side of the river, but even if they call the cops I doubt the cops will be willing to hike out there in the dark to investigate. I’m actually going to scout it out today
>>
>>2496624
>Do rangers often hike at night time?
I seriously doubt rangers do this anywhere in the world
Usually these camping bans are just there to stop homeless people trying to live long term in a national park, or to help deter and prosecute idiots who drive in, trash the place and potentially set half the forest on fire
A single camper with a minimalist setup who stays one night and moves on isn’t high on their radar
>>
>>2496649
OH BRO it's a really great tent. I'm on my second one, its the River Country Trekker tent. IDK about nowdayz but they were super underrated, and a great price. I think I paid less than $50 on Amazon. I think there's a 2.1, and 2.2 get the latter. It's really light and holds up to the rain well. I spent a week in the UP rain storms getting flooded out in that thing. 1st one lasted me a couple years with regular use. It should be fine for a long time, assuming you aren't poking holes in it, and use some sealant after awhile.
>>
>>2497138
this

just be respectful and if someone happens to come to move you along don't start shit. ezpz
>>
>stealth camping
ive never had an opportunity to tell anyone this because no irl friends and only log on to /out/ on rare occasion but the only way i can satisfy my being med boarded for ptsd from the military before i was ready is by putting on my home made ghillie suit and crawling thru the neighborhood ditch up the half mile hill and lying prone unmoving in the ferns at the neighborhood entrance through the night. ive done this 20-30 times
>>
>>2496624
I have this tent
>What are some tips when camping off trail in a national park? Do rangers often hike at night time? Is it better to make camp at the base of the mountain or more towards the sloped top?
You can do whatever you want under the cover of darkness. Get in late and leave early, nobody will know
>>
I've worked in multiple national parks so I actually know what I'm talking about.
Every National Park is drastically different with its approach to illegal campers. Generally, the only obstacle to stealth camping successfully is figuring out where to leave your car. Some parks allow overnight parking so they'll only bust you if they see you crawling out of your sleeping bag in the morning. Other parks will give a warning/ticket to any car parked overnight unless you're displaying a permit for backcountry camping. In my park, you'd probably have a 50/50 chance of getting a warning or a ticket if you were busted doing this.
The obvious solution is to leave your car in a National Forest lot, or in town (many parks have free shuttles from town into the park).
Once on the trail, you just have to avoid backcountry rangers who will ask you for your camping permit. Honestly your odds of encountering one of these guys is very low, but all the same it's best to minimize your time on trail, or have an alibi ready.
Wherever you camp, make sure it's well off the trail. Check your map to make sure. Don't leave any trash or light a fire, kthx.

>>2498979
Based, please come do it in my park.
>>
What kind of pants should I wear?
Something for bushy forests with branches that poke everywhere
>>
>>2500264
I like Carhartt work pants for bushwhacking. The heavy canvas material does a good job of protecting your legs from brush. The only downside is that they’re not good for wet weather since they’re cotton
>>
>>2497144
Yours holds up to rain? I've had mine for years, it's full of holes and I still use it, but i've always taken a tarp as well to shelter my shelter for the rain. Comfy enough as a three season.
>>
Former USFS ranger here. We don't care at all....

also please pick up your garbage and leave no trace. have fun. don't die. if you stay in the same spot for 2 weeks you gotta move like a mile away.
>>
>>2500485
for the dozenth time, op said national PARKS
>>
>>2500459
Roger that
Ever tried walking straight through thorns?
Heard chainsaw chaps are an option but seem overkill

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.