[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 54 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1653207860517.jpg (135 KB, 1024x768)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
What does /out/ think about van life?
>>
>>2496241
gas is expensive
the only advantage is that somehow parking your van somewhere for days on end is more often legal than going innawoods and pitching a little tent for one night.
>>
>>2496241
I'm going to buy a van in summer and start building it out. I work remotely as a software developer so I hope to live and work in the van eventually.
>>
>>2496244
I'd agree with this. If I were to go vanlife, I'd probably want some land on the outskirts of town to park.
>>
It's a level of homelessness that even someone in a double wide can look down upon.

Assuming you're young and it's the best you can see yourself doing, buy some flex hose to connect the exhaust to the cabin.
>>
Odd millenicope cargo cult of Boomer hippiedom and/or pernicious "u vill own nothing [especially not a home] and be happy; eat ze bugz" ect. ect.
>>
>>2496254
Try it for a night, then a week, then go from there. Don't commit yet, its not all that great.
>>
>>2496241
Heat
Condensation
>>
>>2496241
Seems very fun IF you actually have a home to turn back to. Couldn't imagine living only in a van, but going out for a few weeks or months would definitely be great.
>>
>>2496241
Life? no.
A couple seasons? yeah. I had a job managing a campground and lived out of my van on-site.
>>
i own a camper van, its miserable if you are full timing it anywhere near civilization, you have to worry about tweakers busting your windows in and cops bitching at you because you cant overnight park near this great spot with a rec center with a shitter and shower for the morning. god forbid you have to work a wagecuck job during this unstable routine.

its ideal if you can skirt national parks and comfy rural low pop centers that are still 90% white and have some sort of remote job or a laid back seasonal job that lets you live on site.

life fucking sucks without a shitter and shower 5 feet away if you have to report to a real job every day, having one in a vehicle means you are having to buy a massive real RV that cost fuck tons of money and gets 10mpg and its just a chore to move around

if you want a glimpse into the portal that is full time living in vehicle go check out the youtube channel "cheapRVliving" its mostly boomers that fucked their lives up or have health problems that financially ruined them trying to figure out how to survive in the hellscape that is modern america with no money and no stable shelter.
>>
File: 20221029_181323.jpg (146 KB, 1612x907)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>2496241
I live in a van, it's honestly not too bad; beats living under a bridge, at least.
Main downside, as others have mentioned, is the lack of a toilet and shower. Though the toilet thing is a moot point when I'm innawoods, and I just shower at the gym...
I spend 90% of my time parked in the woods anyway, so I mostly just vibe.
It's not ideal, but it could be a lot worse.
>>
>>2496822
Do you have a job? If not, how do you support yourself?
Do you have any vanlife frens to hangout with?
How long have you been in the van?
>>
>>2496824
Currently I prostitute myself to support my meth habit, but it's OK, I mostly just vibe. I'm saving up money to go meet Mr. Beast and join his motley crew of Youtube fuckboys, that's where the real money's at.
>>
>>2496827
Are you gay?
Why not get better taste in drugs?
>>
>>2496824
>Do you have a job? If not, how do you support yourself?
I used to be an accountant. Never had any expensive hobbies and kept my expenses low, so I just saved up and now I'm living off of that.
>Do you have any vanlife frens to hangout with?
I don't really have any friends; I prefer to be alone. I do have my cat with me though.
>How long have you been in the van?
Since last April.
>>2496827
Heh.
>>
>>2496831
does the cat go hiking or stay in the van?
>>
>>2496835
She comes hiking to a point. Short walks along trails I've already been down, or in city parks, she's fine. But if I'm actually trying to hike she stays in the van.
>>
>>2496831
There are so many aspects to this that idealistic kids don't anticipate, like do you have a PO box and/or official residential address (friend, family) because contact with authorities is inevitable and you need someplace to call home for taxes, car insurance, driver's license, etc. Not a vanlifer, but extended road trips give you a new perspective on many things, like how truck stops (Loves, TSA, etc) are a national treasure for a man on the road. Wet wipes and alcohol hand sanitizer have many uses and are essential for contact with civilization. Cell coverage/internet are spottier than many would assume outside urban areas. Temperature inside the vehicle while sleeping is one issue, but HUMIDITY control can be an even bigger problem. Also, I've found AAA to be well worth the cost when far from home, you can't rely on the "kindness of strangers" like we used to.
>>
>>2496241
There's pros and cons to it. It can be super expensive or super cheap it all depends on how you look at it. Spending let's say 900 a month for rent or however much for gas. If you're getting into vans because you want to stop working entirely you're an idiot. If you're getting into vans because you're priced out of the market and if you're going to be poor may as well be poor and mobile? have fun lad
>>
My van smells like musty balls and fermented pussy meat because of all the ass I clapped back there. I need new suspension I done fucked out the old one.
>>
>>2496241
I got a nice van for trips and didn't even have to sell my house
>>
>>2496241
Sleeping in a car can be great, but imo i think you need sliding doors with windows on both sides to make it feel comfy and not claustrophobic.
>>
>>2497159
late rear engine VW camper vans did it best, the rear wagon style back hatch with a pop top roof and front seats that swivel gives about the most spacious interior possible in a vehicle of its size. DIY converted panel vans are basically just a bigger wagon, moving around is terrible all hunched over. not being able to stand up fully makes life fucking hell especially on rainy days where you are stuck inside.
>>
>>2497176
>Stuck inside when it rains
That's the best time to go /out/
>>
>>2496241
They're virgins with rage so they hate everything they see. They don't go out.
>>
>>2497380
Not when you have to come back into a van and stay there...
>>
>>2497405
I camp in a rain forest, still best time to go /out/. Put up a tarp outside your van, tent, hammock, what ever like every one else does, then you're not forced to stay in the van.
>>
>>2496503
Self imposed minimalism is wildly different than a totalitarian enforced subscription based lifestyle. At least have the capacity to understand the memes you spew before mindlessly posting them every time you see something you don't like.
>>
>>2497429
>still best time to go /out/
I'd like to hear your case as to why rain camping is best. Genuinely curious
>>
>>2497436
just ignore him, hes a larper that probably only ever goes on a walk in the rain then comes back to his warm house
>>
>>2497436
Because with Poncho, gaiters, proper shoes, the rain is not an issue at all. I love the sound of it, I love how it keeps casual faggots like >>2497469 away. Plus if you're van camping, you got a nice dry spot to chill, especially when a tarp is added to give you more area of cover.
>>2497469
I work outside, the amount of time I spend in the rain in a week is more than you spend in the entire year, faggot. Proper rain gear and you're set, unless you're a sissy lala bitch like yourself.
>>
vanlife is just homelessness.

>>2497431
Its not self-imposed when the media suggests it to you over and over. like this fucking shill thread.
>>
>>2497488
in mexico? You don't sound like you have seen a proper autumn or winter.
>>
>>2497503
I have never seen this shit in media (I try to very consciously choose what I consume). Is it actually shilled that hard to people? If so where?
I owned a camper van years ago, I see the appeal but I wouldn't consider it viable long term. It's fine for vacation, road trips or a year of vagrant living while doing seasonal work but it shouldn't be anyone's permanent living situation.
>>
>>2496241
We used to have good threads some years ago, but once one schizo found out how easy it was to farm (You)s by derailing threads the threads stopped being comfy and got filled with misinformation.
Vans can be well worth it, just depends where you're going and what kind of /out/ you do.
>>
>>2496241
The influencers and whatnot who you see online that do it usually look like quite annoying people with their rugrat intro-ass music and leggings prancing about some picturesque landscape trying to show you what a good life they're having. The people you actually see irl doing this are generally little better than actual gypsies in practice, just making a noise and a mess, appropriating the commons with a big ugly van just so they can wake up with a nice view and stick it on insta.
>>
>>2497503
>vanlife is just homelessness
Yeah, but it beats living under a bridge with all your shit in a shopping cart...
>>
>>2496241
I did it for a few years in a sedan. For working seasonal jobs where half the year I'm free to travel and enjoy the outdoors it was great. When I worked a typical fulltime job in one town it sucked. The money saved on rent funded some big trips though. Winters were harsh which is why I gave it up eventually. I do miss living out in the forests and deserts on public lands tho. I will likely go back to the lifestyle if I get sick of my current job.
>>
>>2499339
>I do miss living out in the forests and deserts on public lands tho. I will likely go back to the lifestyle if I get sick of my current job.
based
you are speaking directly to my soul
>>
File: my child.jpg (53 KB, 445x593)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
I actually tried van life for a while and I still go out with my van once in a while.

I actually liked it as I had a job that only required a few hours of internet connection per day and not much else so I wasn't tied down to anywhere and could just travel. Longest nonstop journey I did was from Hungary to Holland to Switzerland in a big triangle over the course of 3 weeks.

It was comfy and very free although there were some very obvious downsides only a few days in:

1. Maintaining proper hygiene quickly becomes a challenge as there's no comfortable solution for bathing, shitting, pissing, brushing teeth, etc in a small space like that. I resorted to sponge bathing from a 40L barrel with baby soap which only worked for 2-3 days max before the water in the barrel got grosser than anything I was washing off. I had a portable toilet in the car for the other things, works fine but you gotta live with your one tiny ass room you eat and sleep in smelling like shit and piss constantly.

2. Gas is real expensive now days so even with my old job the lifestyle is unfeasible until things change.

3. You quickly find yourself ostracized from society because you are functionally a smelly homeless person. Dating long term was a non option as any girl I got along well with to invite to my house saw a white van instead and understandably changed their minds. The life style changes you into being a smelly homeless man whether you want it to or not. The concept of "socially acceptable behavior" becomes foreign to you after just a few weeks of not participating in it. Trust me. The wandering gypsy got it's reputation for a reason.

BUT. If you don't care about being an absolute menace to society whenever you stop for snacks at an Aldi and already have a partner interested in the life style, Id say try it out. Its fun at least for a little while and you get to see a lot of cool /out/ish places.
>>
File: HochKonig.jpg (66 KB, 388x594)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>2499405
Its a trade off, if you don't like society and don't want to ever positively engage in it again then van life is for you. If you still want to go to the bars/clubs in the city some weekends or enjoy the comfort of a room larger than the interior of a microwave then its probably not for you.

Some examples: While visiting Amsterdam I got so used to just bathing in any body of water I saw, that naturally I did what many in that poor town full of water would consider a disturbance to the peace.
Whenever I got tired I just laid down on the sidewalk in fetal position even. Cashiers likely died inside whenever my mongoloid looking ass walked into a gas station in boxers and a pair of worn out moccasins.
One of my most fond memories from this time was getting pulled over twice in the span of 15 minutes in Switzerland for being mistaken for an immigrant van. After which I hid in some logging clearing entry way (to avoid further harassment) and promptly ran out of water and ended up climbing a cliff face dehydrated and basically naked at 9am to drink from the worlds smallest water fall as the wet moss and cold water consumed my body. Leaving back to my car covered head to toe in mud and bruises but with a two litre bottle of dirty Alp water and a smile.
(Pic not from same place but sorta similar)
>>
>>2499415
I lived out of a van for a few months, without a job, and I distinctly remember how weird it was losing track of time. In the normal world, I was constantly keeping tracking of time
>time to get up
>time for lunch
>time to go home
>time to cook dinner
>time to watch tb
>time to go to bed
But when I had no schedule, and was living more-or-less outside, time became completely irrelevant. Instead, all I cared about was daylight.
I really miss the simplicity of it all. Sure, it was uncomfortable, but it was simple and with that simplicity came a sense of peace.

I miss van life so much bros..
>>
>>2499422
I know what you mean. Eventually my only "time" was day time and night time. Despite being an insomniac normally, and spending most nights completely awake, with van life I ended up sleeping at sunset and waking at sunrise completely naturally. I mean you kinda have to, as once night falls there's really nothing you can do besides sit on your ass or sleep.
>>
File: 20220122_185633.jpg (283 KB, 608x1074)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>bitching about propane heaters in every thread
It's literally a non-issue.
youtu.be/XVsfXuq1KFA
Use a CO alarm, crack a window if you want, and just don't use it when you're asleep.
Where did this paranoia towards propane come from? Dad yelled at you for playing with the BBQ as a kid?
You know that (iso)butane is even more volatile, right? And don't even get me started on how your car works...
>>
>>2496241
It's for low-energy posers who should stay in their rat-infested cities and die.
>>
>>2499828
Propane heaters are pretty low IQ compared to diesel heaters. You don't have to worry about humidity or carbon monoxide levels. Just fire it up as long as you need. As long as you have a half decent battery you're fine.
>>
File: 1640102459646.png (217 KB, 433x590)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>2500005
>As long as you have a half decent battery
May as well just leave your shit idling forever if you're missing the point this hard.
>>
>>2499828
I use a propane heater in my van. Don't even have a CO2 alarm cause I was too lazy to look for it in BAUHAUS. I just crack the roof window slightly while I use it and turn it off before bed time, using body heat under 50 layers of blankets instead like the good old days. Like you said, its a non issue.
>>
>>2500603
>Don't even have a CO2 alarm cause I was too lazy to look for it in BAUHAUS
literally just go to Canadian Tire or Walmart or something, they're not expensive or anything...
>>
>>2500632
>Buy a 850euro plane ticket to go shop at a W*lmart
>>
>>2500659
there's no country flags on this board, I don't fucking know where people live; go to your local equivalents then
>>
>>2500663
What do you think a Bauhaus is? Have you ever heard of such a place in North America? Does it sound English?
>>
>>2500917
people use that term here too, you know...it's not common, but borrowed words are a thing
>>
>>2499405
>Dating long term was a non option
i would of thought youd get mad pussy from vanlife
doesnt every girl want to travel or do they just think they want to and actually hate the lifestyle
>>
>>2501077
>doesnt every girl want to travel or do they just think they want to and actually hate the lifestyle
they immediately lose interest when they realize the lifestyle comes with drawbacks.
>>
>>2501077
>doesnt every girl want to travel or do they just think they want to and actually hate the lifestyle

Women lose interest at any slight inconvenience, something didn't go as planned? omg panic I don't want this anymore give me back my comfortable planned life!

Not hating on women, this is just how they have evolved, cautious.
>>
I did the rubber tramp thing for a few years in my early 20s. Hardest part was finding places to park at night in urban areas. I got the window knock from the cops more then once.
>>
>>2500917
I thought Bauhaus was an architectural design studio.
>>
>>2501077
w*men are an absolute meme. if you haven't realized this by now then there's no hope for you
>>
>>2501645
>t.
>>
>>2502464
...a generic Asian man in a nice apartment with nice clothes and a close friend to post with?
>>
>>2501077
>doesnt every girl want to travel
They want to go on trips to expensive resorts in exotic locales not live in a van.
>>
>>2502578
>being a hobo isn't the same as going on vacation
the van isn't why these morons can't keep a girl
>>
>>2501077
Women don't want nature. They want room service.
>>
>>2497099

i admire your prose sir
>>
>>2496241
I have a flexible job and a nice home in Texas. I kind of want to get one just to use occasionally for vacations.
I also wouldn't mind be able to park in the RV lot at the nearby college to watch baseball games and get drunk without worrying about getting home.
>>
File: 1589929055079.png (1.14 MB, 770x770)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
Van life? Nigga u homeless
>>
>>2496241
Think about it like this, if you did remote work and had starlink internet, you could drive out to the middle of Nevada and go to work at your campsite. That would make Van Life viable and desirable
>>
>>2504317
Yes. And?
>>
>>2504317
you gotta have recently had a bong hit transplant to think van life is a good idea

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.