[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 87 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: frozen lock pipe.jpg (168 KB, 749x1009)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
Multipurpose Tool Edition

Feel free to post tobaccos (no weed allowed), pipes, collections, pics of favorite combos for going /out/, pics of what you're doing with your pipe and any questions you might have.

Want to get into smoking pipes without spending too much cash?
Get a corncob pipe and a pouch of either Captain Black or Half and Half tobacco, available at most drugstores.
What you'll need: pipe, tobacco, lighter or matches, pipe cleaners, and either a regular old nail or a pipe tool (combination tamper, scoop, and small pick).
All of these together should run you less than $25, still. God help you.

Having trouble keeping your pipe lit? Fill it with less tobacco and smoke it slower than you think you need to, lightly tamping as needed when the smoke starts thinning out.
If you're still having trouble, try filling your pipe this way:
https://youtu.be/0XHYPso7TXs

Old thread >>2434982
Come on in and get comfy.
>>
File: 20220701_181141.jpg (1.17 MB, 1209x1612)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>2492621
Just tried these for the first time: Guilty Pleasure, Plum Pudding, Nightcap, Quiet Nights, and Haunted Bookshop. I enjoyed em all well enough though Haunted Bookshop hits a little hard for me. Pic is from August.
>>
>>2492634
Comfy, where do you live?
>>
>>2492644
East Tennessee, right against the Smoky Mountains
>>
what are some common and cheap, but good, wooden pipes I can get off ebay? I don't even smoke nor intend to but I find pipes to be beautiful tools and I'd like it as shelf filler
>>
>>2492621
Just got me some 4Noggins Hobbits Weed, and some Boswells Northwoods and Military Force. Really like all of them. Big fan of Nightcap too.
>>
Will smoking a pipe help my horrible bowels and cure my lactose intolerance
>>
>>2493168
Very likely not. Tobacco can cause diarrhea and stomach discomfort, but for some people with extreme GI issues, oral tobacco has been to help.
>>
File: 1638945551635.png (39 KB, 775x525)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>2492634
Plum pudding and nightcap are two of my favorites, if you enjoyed those you might try Drucquer & Sons Levant Mixture.
Also hello fellow TNfren
>>
File: solution.png (65 KB, 499x382)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>2492621
>>
>>2493489
What am I looking at?

Is the anon that's carving his own pipe here? How'd it turn out? What did you use to carve the inside
>>
File: 20221104_175936.jpg (3.5 MB, 4032x3024)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
>>2493208
I'll check it out, thanks! and a hello to you as well
>>
>>2492621
using this clay pipe by Townsends its good. and cheap.
https://www.townsends.us/collections/tobacciana/products/the-traveler-clay-pipe-p-484
>>
File: setup.jpg (641 KB, 1800x1350)
641 KB
641 KB JPG
>>2492634
If you liked Plum Pudding, Quiet Nights and Nightcap you should give these three a try as well: White Knight, Bengal Slices and Blackhouse. Pic is of of my favorite English/Balkans. Nightcap is missing though. Mac Baren Latakia Flake is another one I really enjoy. If I had to choose an absolute favorite it would be Plum Pudding or White Knight.
>>
>>2492691
Dr Grabow, basket pipes, if your budget isn't super low I'd buy a Rossi or Irish seconds (Savinelli & Peterson factory pipes with some minor imperfection and sold for like half the price)
>>
>>2493489
Kek
>>2493168
Yes, it will straighten your crooked back and cure your halitosis too
>>
>>2493489
I chuckled.
>>2493951
It's a joke based on OPs pic, Anon.
>>
>>2493489
kek
>>
i miss the fuck out of smoking a pipe. I had a whole cellar. But randomly developed sebhorriec dermatitis and had to stop cause it was making my fucking eyebrows fall out. I now have literal pounds of this stuff. Life is a bitch.
>>
>>2494850
Good news
>>
>>2492634
Yeah, the first time I tried Haunted Bookshop I was like holy shit. I love the taste, as it’s very cigar-like with the spice and nuttiness, but the nicotine hit me hard. I’ve tried other supposedly strong blends like Royal Yacht and HH Bold Kentucky, but Haunted Bookshop still wins in the strength department.
>>
>>2494271
You can also get White Knight in bulk as Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Match. It uses the same ingredients and proportions as White Knight, and it’s even blended by Russ Oullette. The only difference is it’s not tinned and it has a bit less age on it. You can get a pound of it for less than $35. Highly recommended for cellaring.
>>
>>2494850
Uhhhh, you wanna send it to me? I’ll pay for shipping
>>
Anybody tried these Rattray’s Joy pipe kits? I ordered this one, the sandblasted #113, because I wanted a good travel pipe. Didn’t want something expensive, but I still wanted a quality briar, and Rattray’s makes good pipes. It was only around $80. Hopefully it’s decent.
>>
Anybody here like Gawith blends?
>>
I wanna touch on something said in the last thread >>2442388 . Does anybody else have the problem this anon has with wide chambers? I thought it was just me until I saw his post. I have a Savinelli 320 KS with a .91” chamber and that damn thing is impossible to keep lit. Even when it does stay lit, it’s only the very middle that’s lit. The sides end up becoming charred but not actually burnt to ash, making it hard to tamp. I find that a .75” chamber diameter is generally the best.
>>
>>2495603
Yes! Only tried Squadron Leader, but it's great. Only thing I noticed is how moist it is out of the tin. Also heard the extra moisture can be good for aging the tobacco.
>>
>>2495603
Yeah bretty gud. Wish Samuel Gawith would restock more often. Got plenty of GH&Co. but running low on Sammy.
>>
>>2495603
please start exporting to the EU again
>>
>>2495734
It seems the Gawith Hoggarth blends have been harder to find than Samuel Gawith lately. Like I know of a few places that still have had Squadron Leader and others in stock since May, but I’ve been trying to find some GH Brown Irish Twist, Black Irish Twist, and Bob’s Chocolate Flake and it’s out everywhere. I luckily still have a lot of Ennerdale Flake jarred up.
>>
>>2495548
Weird coincidence but I'm looking at exactly the same kit except the colour is "grey squirrel" but in the UK. Out of stock though.
>>
>>2492621
I only vape daily but now that its getting cold I'm bringing out my pipes. Currently hitting the Plum Pudding and Quiet Nights in a Meerschaum cob. Come Thanksgiving will probably break out the Nording and American Black Cherry. I gifted some Nightcap that I'm eager to try as well.
>>
>>2496527
I love Nightcap, finished my first tin and I have another on the way with some of that Plum Pudding I've been hearing so much about.
>>
>>2495548
Just got my orders in today. I’ll let you guys know how this Rattray’s pipe is. It’s solid in the hand.
>>
>>2497150
This is the best first smoke I’ve had in any of my pipes. Never had a brand new pipe smoke this well. I have 4 Savinellis that don’t smoke this well. This is also the first time I’ve smoked Rattray’s Old Gowrie and it’s delicious. I guess Rattray’s is a winner.
>>
>>2496054
Hmmm I havent seen much Samuel Gawith in stock naywhere for a while, but I'm not looking at tins, just want to grab some of their boxes. Also really only looking for St. James and FVF, and maybe some 1792 though I'm less keen on that one.
As for the GH&Co I'm pretty stocked up. Only got like half a tin of Ennerdale but I've got about a pound of brown flake aromatic which, while not the same, is close enough that it scratches that same itch.
>>
What's a good Oriental blend? I've been pretty sick of Latakia for some years now but with the cooler weather it might hit the spot. I think my main problem is that I've got a fuck ton of Vintage Syrian and I simply don't like it. Smoked some old dried out Penzance and it was almost pleasant. The Vintage Syrian for some reason just tastes like overpoweringly waxy or soapy in a bad way, and I say that as a fan of Lakelands. I guess it's definitely more waxy than soapy.
I just want a quality blend with light Latakia and plenty of Orientals I guess. What's out there?
>>
>>2497400
Oh and preferably available in bulk, don't want to faff about with tins.
>>
Are there any good field guides to things you can smoke without dieing? Or do you guys know of anything?
>>
>>2497403
Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Match. It’s blended by Russ Oullette as the bulk version of Hearth & Home’s WhiteKnight. It’s excellent and affordable. I have two pounds of it cellared.
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/p/match-b-s-o-s-m-pipe-tobacco/1488782/
>>
Anybody here have experience with St. Bruno? I’ve been wanting to try it for awhile. I’ve heard it similar to Ennerdale Flake and other Lakeland types. I’m watching Still Game on Netflix and I guess St. Bruno is seen as the fancy OTC blend over in the UK.
>>
>>2498173
I would not say it's a 'fancy' one, not by a long shot. Certainly a decent one, but very much a reconisable and familiar one. It's just one of those ones, along with the likes of Clan that you can pick up in any tobbaconist worth their salt and plenty of other places, big and small, besides. A reliable stable if you will.
Good choice on watching Still game though, that's some good comedy.
Also as an aside, Doc Brown in Hamish MacBeth is known to smoke StBruno... along with more, shall we say, aromatic choices.
>>
Someone plz recommended pipe and baccy for me
>>
>>2498413
https://boswellpipes.com/product/boswell-northwoods-2oz-tin/
For an English blend
https://4noggins-com.myshopify.com/products/4noggins-bulk-tewksbury-hobbits-weed-match?_pos=1&_sid=9b74382ab&_ss=r
For an aromatic.
>>
>>2498418
Thanks anon
I used to think this shit was wack but I changed my mind. Can't wait to try it out on my backpacking trip next month.
>>
>>2498413
>>2498418
>>2498441
Goddamn I'm looking on Amazon and there are so many good looking pipes. Any anons have any ones in particular they like?
>>
>>2498445
I like the eriksen pipes.
>>
File: survivor.jpg (42 KB, 680x436)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Does tobacco smoke and smoke in general help protect from the things that go bump in the night?
>>
>>2498470
Is it true that you either want briar or corncob? I want something nice looking but it looks like cob is the most economical
>>
>>2498471
It won't save you from getting ravaged by rabid wendigussy, but it will deter small bitey insects fairly well.
>>
>>2492621
bros whats the difference between pipe tobacco and cigarette tobacco
>>
>>2498523
Meerschaum and morta are good too. Pipes made from other types of wood besides briar and morta can be sketchy. Some woods have oils deep inside that can be toxic. Generally you’re safe unless your pipe starts burning through the bowl, but it’s still better to be safe.
>>
>>2498529
Well, cigarettes generally use low grade Burley. There’s also usually hardly any tobacco in a cigarette, meaning you taste burning paper and low grade Burley. However, Burley is a type of pipe tobacco, but it’s usually the highest grade Burley. Burley used in a pipe tobacco blend will typically have notes of cocoa, nuts, and sometimes brown sugar. But there are many other different types of tobacco used in pipe blends; you can have Virginias (Lemon Virginia, Red Virginia, Stoved Virginias, etc.), which often have a fruity, citrusy, earthy, grassy, and tea-like flavor. You can have Perique which is only grown in Louisiana bayous and cured in logs and has a very spicy and plum-like flavor. You can have Dark Fired Kentucky which is a type of Burley that is cured over burning wood, giving it a kind of smoked BBQ and herbal flavor. You can have Oriental (Yenidje, Izmir, Bosma, Drama, Smyrna, Samsun, Xanthi, Katerini, etc.) which comes from the Northeast Mediterranean and the Levant, and usually has an herbal, incense-like, and spicy, very fragrant flavor and aroma. You also have Latakia, which is the most important component in “English” blends and is a type of Oriental that is fire cured using aromatic woods from the Middle East, giving it a sweet, smoky, and incense-y flavor and aroma. It used to come from Syria (Latakia, Syria) up until the Syrian civil war, so now it comes from Cyprus while still using the same techniques as Syrian Latakia. In general, all of those types of tobacco have very strong flavors, which is really the point of pipe smoking, as opposed to the low grade Burley in cigs that tastes like burning cardboard. They don’t use flavorful tobacco in cigarettes because people smoke them for the nicotine, not the flavor. There was a point in time last century when luxury cigarettes did contain Oriental tobaccos, but that stopped when cigarette companies realized smokers were more concerned about nicotine than flavor.
>>
I've smoked Orlik golden Sliced for years, havnt smoked in like, a year, because for me, its for bars or a treat

I promised myself i will have a smoke for the first snowfall of the year
>>
>>2498525
haha thanks, yeah I knew about it keeping the bugs away but I didn't know if there was any protections beyond that in the lore.
>>
Been out of the smoking game for a while but now that I'm back into it I've gone through everything I had cellared.

What newish tobaccos should I try?

so far it sounds like Plum Pudding is a must try but what else is out there that is a go to? Thinking about picking 2-3 of new aromatics, virginias, english, etc
>>
Although I think I'll get something nicer eventually, do anons have any thoughts on this for a beginner pipe? I plan to use it while backpacking exclusively and I'm new to pipes so I figure an inexpensive beginner pipe is ideal. Any recommendations?

Missouri Meerschaum - Ozark Mountain Hardwood Tobacco Pipe - Oval Bowl, Straight Bit https://a.co/d/63hVTFl
>>
>>2498808
Oh fuck nevermind I see it's made of mapple meerschaum fuck
>>
>>2498445
I've just started in the past 6 months and have bought a handful of corncobs of different styles and the Whitlucks pipe starter kit which was pretty decent and came with a nice pouch. Not sure what kind of pipe I like yet, dig some baccy though.
>>
>>2498559
this is why I love these threads, best general on 4chan
>>
>>2498699
Checked
For aromatics check Hobbits Weed at 4noggins. For English blends I really like My Mixture 965 and Nightcap buy Peterson (formerly Dunhill), and fwiw 4noggins has knocked it out of the park on my orders as far as shipping is concerned. Super quick, just got my first Plum Pudding from them in the past couple of days. Pretty good.
>>
>>2498810
>>2498808
No, it's made of maple. It's not Meerschaum whatsoever. The name is sort of a joke, since Meerschaum is a premium material from a totally different part of the world, but corn cob pipes and hardwood pipes in the US are just as cherished by many, and also smoke well.
>>
>>2498808
That’s fine. I forgot to add that the hardwood pipes from Missouri Meerschaum are completely safe in my post here >>2498539
. They probably won’t last long and will probably smoke hot, but you don’t have to worry about anything toxic from MM.
>>
>>2492621
What pipe shapes are most comfortable for holding your pipe in your teeth without hands? Any ideas, experiences?

>>2498471
I remember one encounter with a wild boar in the woods when I was starting out.

I was hammock camping. I found a nice place without any high bushes and with trees that were just perfect distance from each other to hang my stuff from. Grass looked like there was an old, forgotten hiking trail there. It's something common here, so I didn't worry about it and set up my tarp and hammock.
Late at night, when I was just chilling and smoking I heard steps and breaking of twigs. Sure enough a fucking boar was getting closer to me - I set up my camp not on an old trekking trail, but on a trail made by wild animals. It was constantly grunting while I was just lying there terrified. When it got close enough to almost touch my tarp it started loudly sniffing. Then it loudly snorted in clear disgust and left.

Thank god I didn't move or tried to scare it away. Later I learned that boars when frightened are more likely to attack than to run away. Smell is a good way to deter wild animals. Not being a complete retard that sets up a camp on animal tracks and trails is also a good idea.
>>
>>2498871
>What pipe shapes are most comfortable for holding your pipe in your teeth
Generally lighter, somewhat shorter pipes, or more bent so they rest on your chin. The key here is leverage against your teeth. Less feels better.
>>
>>2498471
that pic is 100% accurate so yes
>>
>>2498559
Also for many cigarettes they take the broken up floor sweepings and tobacco dust and literally make it into paper which they then shred to give the appearance of proper whole leaf tobacco.
All about manufacturing efficiency and profit margin above all else.
>>
>>2498471
Can someone explain the yellow light and stepping away from the trail by the river plz
>>
I cannot settle on a begging pipe on Amazon can an anon just fucking pick one for me
>>
anyone have a macqueen? thinking about getting one
>>
>>2499317
>yellow light
Bugs can't see red and yellow light very well
>>
>>2499322
Chances are your first pipe will get damaged one way or another, so just pick something cheap.
Personally I'd pick cheapest wooden pipe (pear or cherry; in my experience corn pipes are really fragile) with a place for a 9mm filter.
You can still smoke without a filter in a pipe like this, so no skin off your back if you dislike this, but if you do like it, you won't regret it.
>>
>>2499632
Thanks anon
>>
>>2499633
np, good luck with your purchase
>>
>>2498808
I have one of the Ozark series and it smokes like shit.

You should either get a MM brand corncob, or go to antique shops and flea markets and find an estate briar for like 20 bucks. Clean the stem thoroughly with pipe cleaners soaked in high proof liquor, and if the cake is too excessive ream out the bowl with sandpaper. You'll have a way better smoke that way.
>>
I don't think I've ever smoked anything with a lot of Perique tobacco in it, can anyone recommend me a blend that really highlights Perique so I can get the experience of it and see if it's something I like? Best if it's available on 4noggins as they are one of the only websites that ships to my gay ass state
>>
>>2499672
Should I try Bayou Morning? I found that on 4noggins
>>
>>2499704
I believe that’s a perique-heavy blend, so yes if you’re for a strong perique flavor.
>>
>>2499672
try Bnb tobacco too, I use them 4noggins and Boswells to get mine shipped in my gay ass state.
>>
>>2499672
>>2499897
I was just reading on the PipesMagazine forums that apparently a lot of people have been having bad experiences lately with 4noggins. I’ve never had a problem ordering from them though. Probably just a bunch of grumpy boomers.
https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/4noggins-tobacconists-missing-in-action.94300/
>>
File: file.png (37 KB, 456x288)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
Just bought pic related in one of the recent 4Noggins sales.

What am I in for?
>>
>>2500062
I'm a fairly new pipe smoker, I've only ordered from 4noggins twice but the shipping was fast both times and I have no complaints. Got my Plum Pudding I can finally try.
>>2500083
Quick shipping.
>>
>>2500083
How is capstan original $16 but the navy cut $300?
>>
>>2500151
Original is the stuff that is made now, I think Mac Baren is making them. The Navy Cut isn't made anymore, that is probably an old tin. I know Tolkien used to smoke Capstan Navy Cut, and these days its just called original.
>>
>>2500154
That makes sense
>Tfw I want to try getting some cellar series baccy but I don't have the patience to leave it alone for 10 years

On an unrelated note, are plugs really that much better for taking /out/ ?
>>
>>2498819
I copied that down , good info and I've been a pipe smoker for a dozen+ years.

I'll note about matches , keep them handy obviously but if you are leaving no trace carrying out them is a pain or ensuring they are fully extinguished if you are leaving them.

I prefer while in the woods to use the pipe zippo so I don't have to curb my auto reflex to flick the match at the ground when done. Also helps when you have constant wind. I use the zippy itself as a wind break for the bowl when too windy when i have just lit it then i use my fingers when it burns down a little (you can buy a wind guard, but they tend to i.part a metal flavor to your smoke)

I have absolutely heard a snuffle from something big in the woods that I was unaware of and being far too quiet for it to have spooked. Luckily the wind was in my favor and blew thru those dense trees. Idk what it was but it didn't mind being loud in a forest.
>>
>>2500164
>>Tfw I want to try getting some cellar series baccy but I don't have the patience to leave it alone for 10 years
If you just keep buying stuff eventually it'll be 10 years from now and you'll have old tins you never got around to opening. Happens quicker than you expect.
>>
If anybody is interested in a good bulk balkan blend, Arango Balkan Supreme is fucking amazing. I bought a half pound 7 months ago and jarred it up, but I didn’t care for it much when I tried it fresh. Trying it again right now for the first and it’s beautiful. Creamy, smoky, herbal, spicy, with some incense. Gotta by a couple pounds for cellaring.
>>
>>2500259
Interesting, I may have to grab some of that.
>>
just got a corncob pipe, can i smoke from it everyday or should i do it every other day? i read that its not good for the pipes to smoke them every day
>>
>>2500314
The general rule is a wait time of 24 hours for every bowl you smoke, so it depends on how many bowls you have from it a day. If you only have one bowl a day then smoking it everyday won’t be an issue. If you have several a day then you should probably wait around a week to smoke it again. Then again, it’s a corncob so nothing too bad should happen.
>>
>>2500323
ok thanks, also is there something impromptu i can use as a pipe cleaner? didnt pick one up on the order so and i dont want to pay for shipping again
>>
>>2500325
I used to use a twisted up paper towel to clean the bowl, shank, and stem. Not as good as a pipe cleaner, but it works well as a temporary solution.
>>
>>2500325
I use my pipe tool to clean out the bowl and a small piece of wire like what is in the middle of a pipe cleaner to run thru the stem to get out the gunk when it gets bad ... I only clean it well once I can't draw thru it ... and I smoke my pipes hard and hot and don't give them breaks.
>>
>>2500325
Oh yeah, an unfolded paper clip could come in handy too
>>
File: 20221123_193903.jpg (663 KB, 3840x2160)
663 KB
663 KB JPG
Grabbed this...whatever type of pipe this is - oom paul? for a couple bucks on fb marketplace. Just finishing cleaning it then I'm going to give my Missouri Meerschaum creeper in the corn a spin
>>
>>2500439
Nice, good find Anon
>>
>>2497400
L. J. Peretti Tashkent is probably the best oriental blend on the market at the moment, followed by their Oriental #40.
>>
>>2492621
>drugs
>/out/
pick one
>>
File: 1610504073889.jpg (80 KB, 480x480)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
i seasoned some 3 liters of tobacco with rum this summer and it stinks up the whole house even trough 2 ziplock bags and metal container i use to store it
got maybe 4 more liters of cut up dried leaves waiting in garage and i like to smoke them more than my seasoned, fermented and moist crop so far
>>
File: 1640534055353.jpg (77 KB, 591x587)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>2500751
It's a bit late for complaints
>>
>>2500739
I’ve really been wanting to try that. I love Balkans and I hear Tashkent is amazing. Also wanna try Royal Blend and Omega.
>>
>>2500751
>a natural plant doesn’t belong on /out/
>literally an outdoor, natural plant, doesn’t belong on /out/
Okay, guy.
>>
>>2495603
>squadron leader
Hell yeea buddy
>>
>>2497189
I would really like to try a Rattray, but they're all filter pipes which has never been my thing.
>>
>>2501073
You could always buy an adapter. That’s what I did since I don’t like filters either.
>>
File: Empty.png (144 KB, 704x396)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>2495540
lol same
>>
>>2501046
Are you suggesting that this is a botany thread?
>>
>>2501146
He's suggesting you are a POC and that you should kys
Got it?
>>
>>2501146
I’m suggesting that considering tobacco pipes (briar wood, corn cob, etc.) and pipe tobacco itself (nicotiana tabacum) are organic and can be found in nature, and considering pipe smoking has a long and fabled history with adventurers and outdoorsmen, it is completely reasonable for it to be on /out/. If you don’t like it, leave.
>>
>>2500756
Are you buying bulk amounts of tobacco or are you growing your own? If so, how's that going? I've been thinking of growing some but I don't have a whole lot of space to do so
>>
>>2501046
>>2501343
Just because it's natural, doesn't mean it belongs on out.
We don't discuss weed here for a reason.
>>
>>2500062
I've ordered tobacco twice from them and no complaints on my end. Everything showed up as ordered.

I got their English sampler to try to educate my palate a little on English tobaccos, I got a little disappointed because that overwhelming Latakia made them all taste more or less the same though that could just be me being an uncultured swine.

>>2499793
Yeah I could read that in the reviews, I was looking for personal experience from you fags, anyone ever tried it or got a better recommendation?
>>
>>2501600
But you do discuss boots, jackets, compasses, walking sticks, etc. do you not? For many, especially throughout history, a pipe has been just as important of an accessory in the outdoors as a compass or a comfortable pair of boots. Denying that pipes haven’t been an important part of outdoors culture over the past few centuries is an admission to your ignorance of outdoors culture.
>>
File: 20221126_115648.jpg (395 KB, 1209x1209)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
>>2493951
Its thr ratio of pipe smokers to frozen car doors.
>>2498471
Id assume so. Squirrels stay away if I'm pipe smoking
>>2492691
Wgat state do you live in? Id reccomend going into antique shop and buying one. In Local rual CA i paid maybe 20 bucks for this pipe (pictured). Its an english one and has worked well for a few years. The tobacco is from a local smoke shop that offers much variety by the OZ (5$)
>>
>>2493951
I was carving the red oak one
I used just a large drill bitt for the bowl, it ain't the prettiest but it works. I haven't done much progress since last picture, air flow isn't great. Hunting a cornfield rn so planning on wasting my time on pipes soon again
>>
File: big merino.jpg (269 KB, 800x1071)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
how many bowls would one get out of 50 grams of pipe tobacco. i imagine it depends on the size of the bowl but i'm just looking for a rough estimate. i live in a dickhead country where that much costs about $120-140
>>
>>2502623
holy shit thats a lot, in my country 50g costs me 45usd and i thought that was insane kek, i can get around 8 bowls with 10g where each smoke is about 20-30 minutes long, so with 50g probably around 40 bowls each. I use a mid sized corn cob pipe, ~19mm diameter 31mm depth.
>>
>>2502623
Must be Canadian? I’ve heard horror stories of tobacco prices up there. In a normal sized pipe (.75” x 1.5” chamber), you should be able to get 15-20 bowls out of 50g with a smoking time of around 50 minutes to an hour. You can order from 4noggins which has great prices AND ships to Canada.
>>2502640
Yeah, tins are $35 in Commiefornia and I thought that was extreme. That’s why I mostly buy online. I couldn’t pay what the other anon is paying.
>>
How fast should I expect 4noggins to ship? I'll be at my parents next week and would rather not have my package stolen because it arrives while I'm away
>>
File: 20221129_082655.jpg (2.74 MB, 4032x3024)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
Am I dumb for smoking in the deer stand?
>>
>>2503097
I got my last order from them within a week of ordering it. Don't expect them to send tracking info, tho.
>>
>>2503097
>>2503102
My last order came with tracking and showed up within a week and several days before the ETA on the tracking. Really impressed with 4noggins, my order with BnB tobacco was a hassle.
>>
File: original.jpg (36 KB, 700x700)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Anyone else hatmaxxing?
>>
>>2503101
Not at all. Always have my pipe when I’m hunting.
>>
File: 20221129_143729.jpg (420 KB, 3840x2160)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
>>2503184
You know it
>>
I may be dumb because apparently this is already a thing, but packing rubbed out flake really loose makes it burn so much better and taste so much better. I was having problems with flakes before because they would constantly go out and taste like ash. Then I started packing it really loose, and it improved so much. Come to find out, most people already loosely pack rubbed out flake. So if you have problems with flakes going out or not tasting great, pack them super loose. Gravity fill it, lightly push it down just to the halfway point, gravity fill again, and use the fleshy part of your thumb to make sure everything is in the bowl, BUT DON’T PUSH DOWN. Do a char light, use the weight of the tamper to even out the charred tobacco without putting any pressure, do another light and tamp it the same way, but you’re not done yet. After tamping it a 2nd time, the tobacco should be down to the 3/4 mark of the bowl. Do your true light and it should be good to go. Packing it looser means the bowl won’t be filled, but because flake tobacco, even when rubbed out, burns slower and expands, you’ll still get a good 40 minutes in a regular sized bowl. It’s actually those characteristics (slow burn, expansion), that make it smoke terribly if you pack it tightly.
>>
Anyone recommend a good Balkan? Preferably something you can buy in bulk.
>Strong nicotine preferred
I had been buying C&D Byzantium but it's pushed up to like $60 a pound shipped, getting neck in neck with tins of tobacco, so shopped around for something else.

English blends while cheaper just aren't doing it; Sutliff Dunhill London Mix irritates the inside of my mouth when not cut with something else and C&D ismir turkish smokes well but is pretty bland. Both being kind of subpar pushes me back towards some kick in the pants, room clearing Balkan blend.
>>
>>2503441
Arango Balkan Supreme
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Balkan-Supreme/balkan-supreme/product_id/151152
Creamy, spicy, smoky, buttery, with a bit of natural sweetness, and occasional bursts of wood and herbs. Awesome, awesome blend. I would recommend maybe jarring it for about 3-6 months before smoking it though. It’s also very highly rated at 3.8/4.0.
https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9052/arango-balkan-supreme
>>
>>2493171
Is oral smoking or just chewing?
>>
File: warden.jpg (30 KB, 300x420)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
are they a meme
>>
>>2503448
Yeah tbhfam. It’s literally only LARPers that smoke them regularly. It’s still good to have at least one Churchwarden though, maybe for special occasions or something.
>>
DUDE
>>
File: peak comfiness.jpg (300 KB, 800x533)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>2503448
Longer stem = cooler smoke.
That being said you can get cooler smoke just by smoking more carefully, I imagine they're a pain to clean properly, they're easy to damage, and they are ridiculously overpriced.
Sure, they are a bit of a meme, but I'd still love to add one to my collection - it must be comfy sitting in a chair with a good book and a pipe that you can hold while keeping your arm on the armrest.

Historically churchwardens were popular also because:
- clay pipes often had long stems, because you were supposed to snap off the end to keep it more hygienic - as far as I know it was a common practice in taverns, where guests could borrow a pipe from the innkeeper.
- expensive pipes were a symbol of status and longer stems gives more room for artisans to show their skills.
- you can stab someone in the eye and kill them :^) [ok, just joking, but historians did found two such cases]
>>
>>2503448
Mostly, but they're not any more expensive at the "real pipe" level so if you're already looking at your 3rd+ savinelli or peterson or something just buy one for the meme

For $30 my pearwood Mr. Brog churchwarden smokes as well as anything and does make certain brands of tobacco more palatable.
>>
>>2492621
I've always wondered what your guy's opinions were on normal cigarettes, i know they're filled with chemicals but it just feels better when i'm at a pub with friends since smoking a pipe would be fucking rediculous in a public setting in this day and age. I like to reserve my pipe for whenever i go bushwalking and can just enjoy it on my own but i'm curious on your opinions.
>>
File: The Prawn.jpg (57 KB, 580x580)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>2502623
tobbaco blends has the best prices, i've only ever gotten the celtic tobacco which is absolutely lovely but the fucking price man, $125 for 50g is insane. I love Australia but it's tobacco laws are fucked, can't wait till we get conscripted to buttfuck nowhere and tobacco is cheap.
>>
>>2503432
maybe that will help me out with the Capstan blue I picked up. Not digging it near as much as the other blends I've found. I also just might not like straight Virginias, thats the only one I've tried.
>>
>>2503432
>>2503564
Packing loose is good practice, another is drying it out a bit since flake often has a bit more moisture. I've also had luck with rubbing it out much more than I thought was reasonable. Try to rub the ever loving shit out of it, like really get in there and try to rub it to shreds. It will still somehow expand quite a bit so pack loosely even after this.
>>
>>2503542
Hate the smell of cigarettes. I usually go for cigars/cigarillos when at pubs
>>
>>2503542
Cigarettes are shit. If you’re worried about image, go for a cigar or a cigarillo at least. Cigarettes are good for one thing and one thing only, and that’s nicotine.
>>
>>2503542
We live in ridiculous times friend. Who cares if people think smoking a pipe is strange.
>>
File: cowboyshrimp.png (805 KB, 1055x702)
805 KB
805 KB PNG
>>2503544
>>
>>2503542
I think they're the worst thing to happen to tobacco. Before cigs came around, everyone smoked but it was not really a big public health issue because they weren't inhaling and weren't smoking fucking 20 times a day. Addiction was way less of an issue. Everything was cool for literal centuries until companies figured out that if you get everyone smoking cigarettes, they smoke a lot more because it can be done in a quick smoke break throughout the day. Plus they get way more addicted and need to buy more of your product. Then it all went to shit, people started dying like flies from lung cancer, then tobacco use got stigmatized and pipes and cigars got caught up in the legislation that followed even though cigarettes are basically solely responsible for the health crisis. Also they taste like ass.

I also don't want to be that fucking guy who brings a pipe to the bar. I buy cigarillos for going out with friends. My guilty pleasure is those Al Capone cognac-dipped cigarillos, they smoke as fast as cigarettes and taste pretty damn good for what they are
>>
Where is a good place to get herbal blends without tobacco to smoke?
>>
>>2503748
Internet. Just search them. I've tried a couple by Bear Blends, and I find it a harsher, hotter smoke than tobacco.
>>
>>2503748
I would just recommend tobacco desu. If you’re worried about carcinogens, you’re gonna get them with any type of burning plant matter. Might as well smoke tobacco which tastes delicious.
>>
Guys, I just created an amazing blend. 50% Haunted Bookshop and 50% Peter Stokkebye Optimum. You get the hearty nutty fullness and spiciness of Haunted Bookshop with the aromatic tinge and sweetness from the Optimum. It reminds me a bit of Ennerdale Flake, which is weird since the topping on Optimum is nothing like the one on Ennerdale Flake. Anyway, I’m calling it Optimum Bookshop.
>>
>>2503790
I like Haunted Optimum. I find it adds the interpretation of one smoking Optimum in a pipe heavily ghosted by Haunted Bookshop.
>>
>>2503789
>you’re gonna get them with any type of burning plant matter.
Yep
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3340105/
Everything you burn that goes into the lungs ain't great so might as well do it with something you enjoy
That being said, what are some good low nicotine blends?
>>
>>2503824
Yeah I kinda started to lean towards that too. Haunted Optimum it is.
>>
>>2503789
to add to this, the threshold of what constitutes smoke-safe tobacco and smoke-safe herbs is VASTLY different.
Tobacco has been under the magnifying glass for so long that all of the burn products and contaminants are very well characterized.
I'd be extremely wary of someone offering me "herbal blends" to smoke because what happens chemically when you burn those various herbs is relatively unknown

>>2503832
are you inhaling?
not asking to be an asshole, I vape 24mg/mL juice so my perception of what a "heavy nicotine blend" is in a pipe is completely fucked. My understanding is that most light aromatics like Captain Black, Lane 1Q, etc. are low-nicotine
>>
>>2503748
Buy bulk herbs at your local hippie store. Damiana is my favorite, mugwort, scullcap and mullein are also commonly used, find a blend to your taste.
>>
>>2503886
>are you inhaling
No just holding in the mouth. I smoke fast and hot but have a low nic tolerance so I often feel close to niccing out by the end of a bowl or if I decide to light a second one.
>>
>>2503886
I recommend fire cured Kentucky in your case or burley dominant blends
>>
Man, there’s nothing like being outside listening to Burzum’s Rundgang um die transzendentale Säule der Singularität on a cold and rainy day while smoking your pipe. Pure bliss.
>>
>>2504009
"Pipe smoking 4chan autist and black metal aficionado" is a really hyper specific niche, I'm glad I'm not the only one in it.

Always gotta love the classics, but I've been listening to a lot of newer shit lately, I am absolutely loving Nordjevel's latest album Gnavhol
>>
>>2504009
next time try it with forest's obrekaya nadezhdu na vechnost
>>
>>2504060
I think there might be a few. I know Attila from Mayhem smokes a pipe. I think the vast majority of pipe smokers are introverts, the vast majority of black metal fans are introverts, and most people on this Cambodian basket weaving forum are introverts, so there’s bound to be some overlap. On the PipesMagazine forums I’ve seen some people discussing black metal, which is surprising since it’s mostly boomers on there.
>>
>>2504061
Gonna give it a listen. October through February is black metal season for me. Been listening to some dungeon synth too.
>>
I've only tried capstan and have a pipe laying around. Is there any pipe tobacco that provides a nicotine hit similar to a Marlboro red? To me its all performative since the flavor is meh and there is no feeling of nicotine.
Maybe I'll try dome aromatic things to enjoy the smell that isn't just plain tobacco.
>>
>>2504302
I've heard people say Nightcap is nic heavy. The nic hit takes a bit more time than a cig, as you aren't supposed to inhale it. Takes a bit more time but after 15-20 minutes I usually get a nice light buzz. Boswells Military Force is a nice one that doesn't have a strong straight tobacco smell but is pretty pleasant.
>>
>>2504302
Gawith Dark Bird's Eye is fairly stout.
>>
>>2504302
Try Haunted Bookshop. I don't smoke cigs so I can't speak from experience, but a lot of people say the flavor is appealing to cigarette smokers. Not sweet at all, very dry and spicy. It does seem to be pretty nic heavy. And I have heard Mac Baren HH Rustica is a famously high nicotine one though I've never smoked it myself
>>
>>2504302
>>2504336
Haunted Bookshop would be a good choice. Heavy nicotine for a pipe blend. To me it tastes like a cigar, not a cigarette, but then again I’ve never tried a cigarette.
>>
>>2492621
Smh I am really fascinated about pipes, but I can't stand the smell or taste of tobacco.
What to do?
>>
>>2504467
Make up your own mind instead of letting others do it for you.

If you want to try it, try it. You don't have to spend a lot, just to see. If you decide that your dislike for tobacco is not worth trying it, then don't try it. If you try it and dislike it, then stop.

Who gives half a fuck what you choose to do with your own time?
>>
>>2504467
Well, considering the main reason people smoke pipes is to experience the unique flavors and aromas that pipe tobacco offers, I’m not sure what your interest would be. When you say you don’t like the smell and taste, what tobacco product made you come to that conclusion? I ask that because I don’t think you actually can’t stand the taste and smell of tobacco. I think you had a bad experience with whatever tobacco you smoked. Cigarettes (which are trash and taste like cardboard) taste different than cigars which taste different than pipe tobacco. Pipe tobacco itself has so many different types of tobaccos that all taste different from each other. I would recommend what the OP suggests; get a corn cob and a sampler of various blends.
>>
>>2504467
Buy a couple old pipes from an antique store and keep them arounds as display pieces. Or try smoking some herbal blends
>>
>>2504141
I've also been really into the modern Polish shit lately. Latest albums by Sznur and Kriegsmaschine just create this oppressive, stifling kind of atmosphere that really does it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEAkj3OAsjA&list=OLAK5uy_mZcbUAwwg01WKzevmAOzPiRIJKPc4tols

It's a rainy day, I think I'll light up my System pipe with some shit from my Random Ass Tobacco jar and crank this album while reading in the car. Sometimes I wish I could smoke inside on days like today, but I think I prefer keeping my house smoke free.
>>
Why do I only ever seem to build up a gummy cake in my pipes and not that nice, thick, rigid carbon cake you find in old estate pipes? Even leaving a pipe unsmoked for several weeks the gumminess never seems to dry out.
>>
I just put this pipe together and smoked a bowl out of it. 2 hours from start to finished smoking. Made it out of beech wood and tied together with nylon cordage. Whittled it with my pocket knife and some carving chisels. Smoked trash tobacco out of it though. Any recommendations for good cheap tobacco? Seems like plum pudding and nightcap are popular.
>>
which one of you fuckers lives in arvada? I keep seeing a teenager walking around in a suit, dress shoes, smoking a sherlock holmes style pipe.
>>
I have a Missouri Meerschaum and have only smoked Captain Black, original and royal. I'm looking for a briar and another tobacco. I liked royal more than original. What would be the next best move?
>>
>>2504784
thats sick im gonna try it myself, did you just use some guide or something for the shape or just guessed?
>>
>>2504922
I just took out all the heartwood and let it be whatever that natural shape is. I watched a guy on YouTube do it and thought it looked easy enough, I’ll post a link if I can find it again.
>>
>>2504922
https://youtu.be/GQiL3VmB4rQ
>>
Been taking my pipe along for my daily dog walks. C&D's Star of the East Flake has been my go-to since the temps have been dropping. Also smoke Autumn Evening when my wife tags along. Might have to break out my Christmas blend, Bengal Slices. Stuff reminds me of tea and pizzelles around the holidays with my Italian grandparents.
>>
File: 16715.jpg (435 KB, 1454x1939)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
christmas gift from my wife
>>
>>2505016
Nice pipe anon, my grandma used to make blankets like that for me.
>>
thoughts on german hunter pipes? i reckon they look pretty cool
>>
>new tobacco brand/blend causes terrible mouth irritation
Not tongue bite
>Happens with other brands, making me not want to smoke them until a last resort
>This time it's a pound of bulk as a replacement daily driver
>Fugg
>Leave bag open for several days
>Stopped doing it

Is it a moisture thing? Or just my mouth pulling a git gud since I've been forcing myself to smoke it? Should I be untinning and leaving tobacco that smokes poorly out for like 96 hours or is it entirely a fluke-placebo effect?
>>
>>2505113
It's probably a bit of both. That to me sounds like you're probably packing the bottom a bit too tightly, and having too much heat. Trapping all that moisture in the bottom layers is probably steaming your tongue. Do you notice a gross tasting black liquid with some blends? If yes, that's not normal. You might also be smoking too fast, or not cleaning your pipe enough.
>>
>>2505016
probably to stop you from eating your nails
>>
>>2505141
>explicitly say it isn't tongue bite
Smoked it in both a falcon, which has been able to smoke fresh from the tin unbroken up hot pressed tobacco to ash without a single issue, and a churchwarden to be doubly sure it isn't steam. Both to some degree led to the same irritation with this specific Sutcliffe tobacco until it was just aired out for far longer than I've seen anyone recommend. Alongside it I've been smoking a C&D blend, also an English, with none of the issues using the same pack and Intensity.

It's just seemingly fixed itself and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and how they've rectified it besides not buying X well regarded tobacco due to it sucking to smoke (like Cult, another blend the internet loves but I found to smoke worse than even great value as a cherry aromatic)
>>
>>2505142
haha, maybe so, good eye
>>
>>2505146
I mean, it's always a possibility, especially when it going away just happens to coincide with the weather becoming colder/dryer. Out of curiosity, if you just leave some of the tobacco on your tongue do you still feel the same thing?
>>
>>2505113
Blends that have a lot of nicotine can cause more irritation. Have you considered using a filter?
>>
File: 1441232323.png (159 KB, 500x368)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
>>2505016
>letting your ash fall on your covers
>>
>>2504875
Get a briar and some more tobaccos. Look for aromatics, usually ones with more black tobacco in the blend will be sweeter and more aromatic, which you will probably like if you liked the Royal better. Try blending different tobaccos yourself, just mix and match what you have to see what works. Order online instead of from a local smoke shop, there is a way bigger selection, personally I like 4noggins
>>
File: nording-keystones.jpg (148 KB, 906x1500)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>2505113
It sounds like it's moisture related. I have used nording keystones at the bottom of my pipes ever since I started smoking and I never experienced irritation or tongue bite. Along with sucking up some extra moisture they create a nice little void in the bottom of your bowl and it is easier to completely smoke your tobacco down to ash. No dottle. They also protect the bottom of the bowl from getting too hot as well. I use them in all of my pipes, even cobs so I don't scorch the bottoms. Also, I clean and reuse them. I usually get 3 to 4 smokes from a stone. I throw them away once they are all black. Worth a try. A big bag is $10 from most places. I've been on the same bag for 2 years. I probably average about 5 bowls a week to give you an idea.
>>
>>2505327
I love the eriksen pipes that have the special chamber for them.
>>
I’m looking at a really nice Stanwell estate pipe from sometime between 1948 and the 1960s. I know that’s considered Stanwell’s peak and that they were considered great pipes, but has anybody here had experience with one from that era?
>>
File: Maki_01.jpg (65 KB, 546x678)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
How come there are no female pipe smokers??

I've literally never seen one. Plenty of cigarette/weed smokers, but not a single one with a pipe.
>>
>>2505578
>why do women…
Let me stop you there.
>>
>>2505590
why?
>>
>>2505637
>women should get into _____
Women know that things exist, stop trying to include everyone in every activity.
>search ‘woman smoking pipe’ save first result.
>pic related
Here’s probably why, women spend beaucoup bucks trying to remove wrinkles. They inject neurotoxins in their face to avoid the fate of pic related. Same reason women generally don’t smoke cigars and drink fruity drinks. They just don’t like it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.