[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 125 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1780788226.jpg (179 KB, 750x1000)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
What are some good sites for milsurp outdoors gear? I've had good experiences with army surplus world but they're selection is limited and half of it is cheap pakistani knockoff milsurp
Also feel free to post your milsurp gear and what you use it for
Signed - The king of the shortbus
>>
varusteleka snownigga
nuff said
where my dogs at (suomis)?
>>
>>2474545
Only ever seen the knives on there, I basically forgot they sold other shit
Thank you my good anon
>>
https://www.varusteleka.com/en
>>
File: 1664931505041954.jpg (481 KB, 1049x687)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>2474536
It triggers me to see woodland BDUs un-pressed and un-bloused. Blousing is when you use a small piece of rounded elastic band with a hook on each end to tightly roll your BDU pant cuffs to just below the tops of your boots, and also tie the laces around the boot (if needed) to shorten them, and tuck them away, often under the blousing.

You can also use a velcro strap and a slightly different method.

Blousing and tucking are minor skills that you should learn if you wear BDU pants, because they're done for reasons other than just looking sharp, such as heat retention in cold weather, keeping dust and gravel out of your shit, and not getting your dangling homeless person laces caught in a shrub and then sliding face-first down an embankment.

Basically, if you wear BDUs like a 1990s skater wearing his JNCOs, you're doing it wrong, just like that faggot last month who broke his $450 ultralight pack because he was too dumb to use the hauling strap to put it on, didn't even know what it was.
>>
>>2474545
>>2474609
>>2474631
>paying extra cause muh nordics
gtfo here shills
>>
>>2474653
this.
blousing not only looks sharp, it acts like the boot version of running shoe gaiters (where its not actually, like, a waterproof seal but it keeps dirt and twigs and shit out of your boots)
>Basically, if you wear BDUs like a 1990s skater wearing his JNCOs
hah i got arrested and expelled from school for wearing BDUs like that right after columbine. hope you get a chortle out of that.
>>
>just like that faggot last month who broke his $450 ultralight pack because he was too dumb to use the hauling strap to put it on, didn't even know what it was.
got a link?
bwahahahhaaasaaaa
>>
>>2474653
>just like that faggot last month who broke his $450 ultralight pack because he was too dumb to use the hauling strap to put it on, didn't even know what it was.
gotta see this, which thread was that? do you have a link?
>>
>>2474656
>paying extra
many things they stock are at absurdly low prices compared to everywhere else
>>
>>2474675
>which thread was that?
like a couple backpack threads ago
just use .moe if it's not in the archive you newfag
not that specific anon but I found that instance fucking retarded, imagine buying a 400 bucks backpack and loading it with like 10 kilograms and the shoulder strap rips off because you lifted it wrong
then some goy anon says "of COURSE it broke, Duh~? Use the hauling strap"
the absolute fucking state, I've lifted my Mystery Ranch fully loaded by the zipper pulls and it doesn't give a fuck
>>
>>2474825
Where the fuck are you buying milsurp? Varusteleka is one of the most expensive places to buy milsurp, the only good thing is that they have a wide range of gear from different countries. That and they lost my first package from them and shit was out of stock by the time they refunded. Look at local and smaller shops and you will find stuff easily half the price of varusteleka.
>>
>>2474827
ultralight brands really ought to put something about that in the product descriptions. on one hand, never picking a loaded pack ultralight or not up by the straps is pretty common assumed knowledge.. on the other hand its one of those rules you can go your whole life breaking and get lucky pretty easily, so its pretty easy to see how someone could avoid ever being told not to..
yeah they really ought to put a brief warning about that on the order page for ul backpacks. i remember it used to be common but a quick glance at a few ul brands and none of the pages said anything.
>>
>>2474839
>never picking a loaded pack
anon's pack broke with like 10 kilograms in it though
like if your $400 hiking pack doesn't even do what an Eastpak does you're scamming people
>>
>>2474832
>>2474840
>milsurp
All right I made a mistake since the thread's about milsurp specifically. When I said they have low prices I was not talking about surplus e.g. the Carinthia sleeping bags they have are like €40 lower than other sites.
>>
>>2474832
The only added price in my experience is for shipping. They offer competitive or lower prices on most shit, the cheaper places km the states usually have fucked sizing
>>
>>2474868
Nah
>>
>>2474865
They do have a decent range of new gear and their own brand stuff is pretty good, especially their merino wool.
>>2474866
>>2474868
This is why the pol geo locations are helpful. I am jealous of americans access to Viet Nam era surplus but you do seem to get the human thumbs screaming about "MUH STOLEN VALOUR" and obsessing over the army a lot more.
>>
>>2474942
>The burgers especially tend to think everyone else is American too.
this is one of the few boards where euros outnumber americans during america's prime time hours, for some fucking reason.
>>
>>2474939
The stolen valor shit is hilarious in context of surplus. Most mens clothing in history derives from the military, usually directly so because it was where you could get reliable mass produced stuff. Is it stolen valor to wear chinos?

And yes, im 30. I wasnt in vietnam. You cracked the case, meatball.
>>
>>2474942
>>2474944
Its true though, I automatically assume American on the internet unless stated otherwise. Its just the curse of being #1 lol
>>
>>2474536
I wish there was a milsurp backpack with good back ventilation. I sweat easily and a sweaty back would be pretty bad during winter. Speaking of, what's a good winter daypack size, any specific recommendations?
>>
>>2474653
I'm not doing all that extra work to go on a simple hike, cry about it
>>
>>2474794
>I'm assuming OP is a New Worlder?
Not sure what that means exactly, but if you're asking if I'm from the U.S./American continent then yeah
>>
File: 5111260bf256bb02e2.jpg (71 KB, 601x700)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
I really like the norwegian surplus backpack. It's pretty cheap if you can find someone that has it in stock. Probably the cheapest frame backpack there is.
>>
>>2475199
Ah, I was thinking that was what you were getting at
>>
>>2475219
How comfortable is to wear?Compared with something like the medium Alice or the Swiss kz35(?)
>>
so is there really no other decent sites for surplus besides varusteleka?

i know of colemans or however the hell you spell it and sportsmans guide
>>
>>2474653
You have autism, but I just have the femoid sew an elastc cuff into them
>>
>>2476444
militarysurplus.eu has a nice broad selection.
>>
>>2474653
THIS
>>
>>2476444
depends on what country you're in, some are really good but don't really offer competent international / online services. for example raeer is very good and has a lot of niche stuff but is complete anus to deal with if you arent in germany
>>
>>2474536
>camo neck gaiter
>no backpack
>no water
this reeks of autist playing dress up.
>>
>>2476703
>camo neck gaiter
It's a bandana
Also this photo was taken when me and my buddies were shooting a video out in the sticks, so all the water/food we packed was just placed on a flat part on the ground (in bags of course)
>>2476743
It's necessary hiking gear I assure you
>>
>>2475872
It's not uncomfortable, I've used it on a few hikes but nothing too serious. It's really comfy with a light load, Fairly comfortable with heavy loads but I have no experience with the other types. I think it's an excellent value tho
>>
>>2476703
>>camo neck gaiter
I-I am ordering one with a cap to match... is it bad? will people think I am a terrorist?
>>
File: nordics.jpg (74 KB, 960x720)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>2474794
>>calling Finns nordics
>Mmmmh... yes but actually no.
??
they're not germanic but they are nordic
>>
>>2474839
>never picking a loaded pack ultralight or not up by the straps is pretty common assumed knowledge
what? you're not supposed to lift it by the shoulder straps?
>>
>>2477644
>you're not supposed to lift it by the shoulder straps?
that's right you chud, you lift your $400 ultralight backpack by the hoist handle then place it at waist height and then put yourself into position and INSERT your arms SLOWLY into BOTH straps at the same time, making sure that they are tensioned against your body exactly at the same time. You don't wanna be like one of those chuds who buy military chudpacks, right?
>>
>>2477665
w-what if i don't have a nearby waist-high surface to place it on??
>>
>>2477606
If you're wearing it with otherwise normal stuff it's fine.
>>
>>2477725
>w-what if i don't have a nearby waist-high surface to place it on??
it's over, you leave it. your mistake for taking it off in an unsuitable place.
>>
>>2474840
where'd you buy the webbing? I have an SKS that I use alice stuff with but these seems neater
>>
>>2477665
>You need to be extremely careful with this $400 backpack to not completely destroy it
I would literally rather buy and use a shitty schoolchild backpack than any of that "airlight" shit
>>
>>2477728
>t. hikes in exclusively George brand clothing
>>
>>2477940
>implying that schoolchildren shouldn't be disciplined to hold their pack from the hoist handle while disengaging each arm from the straps
I REALLY hope you don't do the improper pack do-off maneuver where you remove one arm and the pack is only hanging from one shoulder momentarily. That's WRONG, God, how many packs would you have broken if they were not ultra-heavy with silly redundant stitching. All that thread must weigh one whole extra gram!
>>
>>2477942
I prefer floyd brand. Moisture retention is an issue though
>>
>>2479161
>All that thread must weigh one whole extra gram!
I shudder at the thought. The fact these MINDLESS APES traipse about carrying that much extra weight boggles the mind, I can't believe they haven't collapsed of exhaustion under the intense burden of their chudpacks
>>
>bought something because last item and unissued surplus
>completely forgot to look at reviews and half of them are horrific
Did you ever have good luck with this sort of scenario?
>>
File: 20221013_175033.jpg (1.05 MB, 2129x1960)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>2474536
Frist backpacking trip coming up. I've done small camps but never backpacking. Current rig using a Swiss salt and pepper rucksack. Current weight is 30lb but expecting 35lb. Happy how it turned out. Now I just hope it goes smoothly.
>>
>>2474859
10kg of ultralight gear is like 100kg of normal gear though.
i'm just curious what the fuck an ultralighter with 10kg of gear puts in his pack? a rifle? a shovel? the entire kitchen sink?
>>2477644
>>2477665
yes, you're not supposed to.
you're technically 'supposed' to do the maneuver anon comically describes with any backpack. that's why the haul handle exists and is put on backpacks in the first place. you can get away with doing it wrong with normal loads in rec hiker or military backpacks and probably never have a problem your entire life. but straps can and do rip off those too. if you want to be absolutely sure you'll never get unlucky and rip a strap off your pack its good to get in the habit of using your haul handle as its intended for regardless of how robust your pack is. makes it last longer either way.
doesn't make anon's plight less hilarious though.
>>
>>2474656
>>paying extra
they're perhaps the cheapest surplus store on the internet what are you talking about
>>
>>2480282
I hope you get well paid to make such a blatant lie kek.
>>
>>2474536
https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk

idk what the best way to get north american surplus is, all of the sites ive checked seem jank, maybe you have to hunt down physical locations? help
>>
>>2480303
Then fucking post a site dude. Thats what this thread is for, not your sperging. No one bothered to post shit.
>>
>>2474656
Honestly when I buy something in a store and I see that fucking Made in China label I feel so damn exhausted that yes, I'd rather give money to a bunch of gay Finns from Varusteleka. At least they're white. I'd like it even better if I could give my money to people from my own country but everyone here's outsourced his fucking mom to China at this point. You look at a thing in LE [COUNTRY] STORE FROM [COUNTRY], that seems like a nice leather thing. You lower your guard for a microsecond and voilà you bought PU chinkshit. Every time I try to buy something from a local store, whatever the fuck I'm buying, I get fucking chinked.
>>
Anybody got any good EU (as in European Union, not continental Europe) Milsurp online stores that ship to Germany?
>>
>>2480358
The shovel-thread has some links that haven't been deleted yet.
>>
File: consoomerstuff.png (177 KB, 669x1228)
177 KB
177 KB PNG
Anybody else borderline addicted to Military Surplus gear?
>>
>>2480334
>I did post a bunch. Jannies meticulously deleted

ah shit, fair enough. well thats fucking gay because i was really curious since i cant seem to find shit worth looking at.

i went to my local surplus store too knowing full well what the score was gonna be. it was worse than i thought. smocks and jackets being sold for 300 bucks. 70% of the store fucking rothco or royco or whatever chinkshit. all overpriced. fucking christ what a sad state. the only other surplus store that was in the area that was actually good got killed by fucking covid. fucking nigger county sups
>>
>>2476613
unfortunately im a burger. god damn, youd think our military industrial complex would have some trickle down but no. fuck me i guess, all glory to rei.
>>
>>2480365
>tfw I thought I was paypigging
since you order so much surplurp, how much of this stuff stinks to high heaven or comes in unserviceable conditions? please be honest
>>
>>2480367
Oh, you're a Burger? I've seen your "surplus" stores kek. Its just REI but in Coyote. At least you have wilderness.
A lot of the Yuro stores are in Yuro languages. Varusteleka is probably the one most aiming at the US market, as evidenced by how many Americans refer to it by default.
>>2480365
Of course, what do you think shovelposting is?
>>
>>2480312
made in europe is increasingly meaning made by chinese immigrants in europe. made in italy is the worst about it.
>>2480334
the janny flat out admitted to getting paid to shill for/against certain things and did the same to me the other week. remember when there were 9 boot threads on the front page?
>>
>>2480386
yeah it's fucking shit
sometimes I think we just deserve to be destroyed. boomers sold us out.
>>
>>2480404
at least the chinks in italy etc are getting paid well and working under humane conditions. whether we're talking about gear or fashion clothes i'd rather buy something made by a white man. but i guess gook non slave labor is better than the usual. sigh.
>>
File: 69815bf7ffc93985f.jpg (38 KB, 353x500)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>2480374
>Unservicable condition
Not a single item actually. The czech daypack kinda sucked, but was still 100% functional.
>It smells bad
Some of it does. But why would you give a fuck, who the fuck gives a shit what he smells like when he´s /out/?
You can also hang it outside for a day or 2, or wash it, and it smells like new.
I also don´t get why people assume that Military surplus sucks. This may have been true for pre 90s stuff, but most of the gear still holds up.
Maybe not if you compare it to Arc´Teryx, but for the price it beats most unused stuff.
>>
>>2480439
That sounds good.
>I also don´t get why people assume that Military surplus sucks.
Well anyone who's ever been on the market for anything used online has experienced buying something in "great condition" and getting something completely destroyed. It happens with books quite often.
The smell is a factor not because I can't hook up with chicks in a smelly coat but because bad smells are an indication of chemicals, rot etc. But then I don't know what people mean with bad smells, if it's just the smell of something old that's been stored for a long time then that's not a problem.
>>
>tfw took the suspenders pill
How have they become obsolete? I can't believe how comfortable they are. For keeping your pants up they're so much better than a belt it's not even funny.
>>
>>2480726
I hope you button yours on like a proper Aryan man, and don't use any nasty clip-on atrocities.
>>
>>2480733
>I hope you button yours on like a proper Aryan man
Of coursh! I have learned to hate anything with moving parts
>>
>>2475027
You may try the uf pro delta jacket it has air pads on the back for ventilation
>>
>>2480735
>Gradually I began to hate them.
Based.
>>
File: 468985e74df41422b5.jpg (346 KB, 1752x1000)
346 KB
346 KB JPG
>>2480461
It´s that one. It doesn´t really suck THAT bad, but it was made for midgets, I swear.
I´m 6"5 with broad shoulders, and it feels like I´m wearing a kids backpack.
>>
>>2480595
>the smell of something old
Yeah it´s always been that. That stuffs is stored in giant military warehouses for decades, before being bought by some milsurp store.
I don´t mind the smell at all, it reminds me of my grandparents.
>>
>>2480791
Oh, I was thinking of an older canvas one.
>I'm an honest to god titan among men and human equipment doesn't fit very well
Kek, I feel like there might be a logical reason for that, gigachad.
>t. 6'3" manlet
>>
>sportsmans guide
Always a shit show regarding their sizes and quality but often good prices and a wide assortment. Site can be a slog to go through but plenty of reviews.
>sukonka
Not surplus but uses surplus russian wool blankets to make some of ghe cheapest wool coats.
>kommando store
Literally made by /k/ autists. Usually more expensive but digs deep to find stuff, sorts the good from the bad, and has a good refund policy if an issue arises. Also has great autist food and sticker/velcro gear. American Varusteleka in my eyes since both have a sense of humor. Their emails are actually pretty funny.
Theyll bring in like rhodesian boots and carrying vests or recently had the chest rig from heat made.
>keep shooting and colemans
Usually both have a good variety of surplus that is either sold or you wont find elsewhere
>swiss link
Used to be real good for hard to find but their warehouse burned down years ago.
>british sites off top of head
Mean and green
Military mart
Army surplus warehouse
Surplus and lost
Asmc
Forces uniform kit
Surplus and outdoors
>swedish site
Cant find the name anymore. Started with an S but had a lot of old swedish stock on it. I consider british, swiss, and swedish some of the best designed (british) or built (swedish and swiss) crap out there.
Most the supply tends to be hoarded in england and us. The southwest us where there isnt much inclement westher has massive warehouses that store this stuff that goes on auction each year where you see this surplus goto vendors. I think Arizona. This was talking to a surplus shop in my area albeit each year local surplus shops tend to carry more chinese repros than surplus like rothco.
>ebay and etsy
If you know what you are looking for like west german wool trousers, look at these websites as they sell a lot of dead boomer stock that wouldnt sell at goodwill. Good to use a site like sportsmans, read the views on the article and then price shop.
>>
>>2480808
absolute quality post
>>
>>2480808
Thanks anon for sharing this useful list of places to get milsurp!
>>
File: 1655697374509.jpg (153 KB, 838x1024)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>milsurp
>>
>>2483323
>milsurp is so manly that even dressed like women, they still look super manly
mission accomplished
>>
>>2479975
Backpacking trip went great. Want to try an external frame next. Bought a Kelty pack form the 70s and bought a 1935 Swiss fur pack. Going to straps it up and keep the leather and canvas vibes going hopefully under 40lbs. Having fun putting these pack together. Next trip is a 3 day Dec hike.
>>
>>2483334
>military furplus
sorry
>>
File: 1637762704275.jpg (88 KB, 790x530)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>2483331
>mission accomplished
>>
>>2483363
kek
>>
>>2480808
>Used to be real good for hard to find but their warehouse burned down years ago.
Damn. I didn't know that. I've always liked their customer service the most. One time they went so far as to find a specific year I wanted of a Swiss salt and pepper backpack.

They've always has a comfy boomer vibe to it that I really like. I've never bought any of their non surp stuff but I like that they have random sauces and donate to elephant rescue.
>>
>>2480365
I've probably spent more than 5000 dollars with Varusteleka. I'm finally slowing down but for a while I was constantly purchasing a bundle of surplus every month, in addition to random things like their TST layers and Savotta backpacks (I have the S, M, and L). Kill me.
>>
>>2483409
Consoomer 3000
>>
>>2483442
Eh, I guess, but quite frankly I use all of the stuff I've ordered either for /out/ or day to day. I've got a good job so I don't fret too much about the cost. In all my orders with them I've had no problems other than the typical surplus stank.

Good company and very transparent with regard to the source of gear.
>>
>>2483409
>I've probably spent more than 5000 dollars with Varusteleka.
Gee... the item descriptions are not THAT funny
>>
>>2475219
I had one. My advice should be taken with a heap of salt since I'm a goofasaurus.
Main compartment is very spacious and accepting. It won't compress and if you don't pack it to capacity ( or far above that which the pack offers) then stuff is gonna bounce around anoingly much.
The frame.
The reason why I bought this pack. I have the German Gerbirgsgepack and although it is the comfiest pack I know ( 70 lbs, not the best but still easily doable) it still makes my back sweat like you wouldn't believe.
I like to keep packs high on my back and close to me so maybe this is my fault but the frame made my shirt ( worn underneath the same jacket this pack would have been issued with) constantly ride up.
Also, the frame is uncomfortable. The two lower points managed to bruise my lower back.
>>
>>2480808
Thanks for the list, never heard of most of these. +1 for KommandoStore, their selection is small but well "curated" with detailed descriptions, and yeah, alongside the serious stuff they sell some exclusive dank memes.

>>2483680
>Gee... the item descriptions are not THAT funny
Varusteleka's attempts at humor are hit or miss. They've actually reined it in a little since a few years ago, when they had some real fedora'd edgelords on staff. But humor aside, the super-detailed descriptions are great, sizing info is helpful, photo spreads are nice, website is well organized and enjoyable to browse overall. Also I trust the reviews, because I've seen some pretty scathing reviews stand for years, even for their house-brand items. The prices for used items seem reasonable from what I can tell, and shipping isn't too bad. (PROTIP: If you care at all about delivery time to USA, spend the extra $5 on DHL.)

But for first-timers, be advised that Varusteleka sells a lot of Mil-Tec chinesium trinkets alongside the Euro milsurp and quality new items. Not necessarily a bad thing (it's cheap), just FYI.
>>
>>2483747
Forgot to add, be advised that Varusteleka is fully Ukraine-cucked and has declared that they won't be purchasing any more Russian milsurp. But I'll give them a pass since the Finns have legit PTSD on that subject.
>>
>>2477606
>will people think
do you care? I don't, all my trousers have baseball hats(and usually neck gaitors too) in corresponding camouflage and basically live /out/ when not at work so I'm almost constantly in cammo with 0 fucks given. I think if you're wearing a normal hoody it doesn't look tryhard or stolen valour whatever those seppos say. I will add to say I've transcended caring when /out/ with the lads/guns/dogs/4x4/camera and will wear a green/camo hoodie
>>
>>2483758
I'm just joking, I actually don't give a shit or I wouldn't have bought the stuff.
>>
I've posted this before on other boards, but there's a store called 907 Surplus in Anchorage, AK that is absolutely phenomenal. I was in Anchorage on vacation a couple months ago and decided to check the place out. Picked up an amazing pair of Corcoran jump boots for $80 and left behind a bunch of stuff that I just didn't have room for in my luggage. Anyone living in that area should absolutely check it out.
>>
I find the best milsurp is your local store, going in person I've always got decent discounts and can try the sizes out, plus you can pay cash
>>
>>2484016
Our "local milsurp" is 90% Chinese Rothco garbage with a few overpriced actual surplus items that have been unsold since they opened, plus your typical Trump/Punisher/Thin Blue Line merch. The owner is a fat old troll woman who thinks everyone is stealing and literally follows you around the store. I asked her a pretty basic question about boot polish (which any jarhead would know) and she had know idea what I was talking about. They run a side business in the back, and when I struck up a friendly conversation with one of those employees as he was walking through, she told him not to talk to customers.

In the end I was able to find one current-issue item of interest, made in USA, but overall I'd rather order my American milsurp from Finland. "Local" doesn't mean "good".
>>
>>2484024
>know idea
*no idea, sorry using the word "jarhead" caused a temporary IQ debuff
>>
>>2484024
I don't even have a surplus store in my area.
>>
>>2484024
UKfag here so probably different, Local store is run by one guy who knows a lot, gear is basically ex British/German gear but had some stuff from Sweden, none of that chink shit.
Do you not get any proper milsurp stores in the US?
>>
>>2484042
No. Apparently we liquidate our surplus to europe so we get the pleasure of paying to ship it back here. Except my local one isnt run by a troll woman, its run by some north africans of some sort. Would be nice if they did liquidation auctions at least but then I probably dont want 1000 of the same jacket
>>
>>2484047
I've never come across American surplus here, guessing it goes to the mainland. Have you tried other country surplus, Swedish, Polish and British are usually made outside of china
>>
>>2474653
This is how I can tell you’ve never spent weeks in the field in jungle conditions. First thing I did was ditch my boot bands and lose my skivy shirt.
t. marinefag who deployed to SE asia
>>
Burger Kang

Well in NZ land we have armyandoutdoors.co.nz
also similar in Australia.

Pretty much any English speaking nation is going to sell surplus but you could always order from NZ or Ausi if there's nothing good near you. Shipping going to be another $10-$20 USD tho, as your basically ordering from Japan distance from you.
>>
>>2480808
KS is gay honestly. Used to be good but it's just hype beast shit now with very little surp
>>
>>2484049
As a outdoors man the wall of words is what gave it away to me. Most of fits probably never overnighted outside a city campground.
>>
any good canada sites?
>>
>>2484059
This site is actually pretty good, even as a US customer.
>>2484069
This. I usually find whatever surp they do post on eBay for half the price. They do have good customer service though.
>>
>>2483748
>fins hate vatniks
>because they're fins
so what was the point of this post anon
>>
>>2484117
What are the shipping costs from that NZ site like though?
>>
>Go to Military Surplus Website
>Find rare milsurp item
>click it
>It´s mil-tec
I hate this fucking company so fucking much, like you wouldn´t believe.
>>
>>2484223
You'll have to check your zip but mine was Varusteleka level, so like 20 bucks, for a few items.

>>2484247
Yes, miltec should be banned. I hate playing roulette on sportsman's guide because occasionally they will assume miltec is "authentic surplus". Dumb boomers. I also hate how miltec shit clouds all ebay searches, especially for anything German like utensil sets, tank tops, or random garbage like flecktarn m65"
>>
>go to favourite milsurp store
>shelves are empty
>owner says gears all been sent to the ukies and bushcrafters
When did normies find out about milsurp
>>
>>2483748
Based finns. Fuck you
>>
>>2485200
>>2485203
i think milsurp is only worth it for europeans
normies & preppers already destroyed the american milsurp market. the days of quality gear for pennies have been over for a while but most of this board is too young to know the difference.
lightly used recreational hiker gear used to be the replacement for milsurp, but rei stopped doing garage sales when the coof started. there really is no cheap gear faucet for americans anymore.
>>
>>2485276
Even here in bongland you'll find most milsurp places out of stock, before the Ukraine conflict I would always find proper stuff on sale. Setup a charity collection for Ukraine on fb when it all started and managed to get some free gear though
>>
>>2483748
>Finns have legit PTSD on that subject.
imagine raping someone so hard that it gave you ptsd
>>
>>2474536
It really depends on what particular milsurp you're after, but off the top of my head:
Obligatory Varusteleka
Sportsman's Guide
Optics Planet
Big Daddy Unlimited but that's really only relevant if you also shoot a lot.
Army Navy
Fort Bragg Surplus
You can also search around for Zenitco and Smersh and most vendors selling those will also be selling Russian kit, with the added bonus of knowing you're buying stuff intended for the Russian military that got stolen to enrich corrupt officers.
>>
Just ordered a Serbian army sleeping bag. Tell me I didnt fuck up
>>
File deleted.
>>2485574
>buying online
Shop around and find a good milsurp store in person instead of paying 3x the price from varusteleka
>>2486061
You'll be find
>>
>>2486073
Will stop shitting on varusteleka
>>
>>2480358
Militarymart
>>
How do you wear milsurp without looking like a walt
>>
File: au pas camarade.png (1.36 MB, 740x737)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>>2486298
Sometimes you can't avoid looking like a vodevile actor when using military clothes. Milsurp clothes are mainly about fuctional use and affordability.
Go to /fa if you wanna look like a Hugo Boss 40s jerry.
Meanwhile, embrace the utilitarian philosophy.
>>
>>2486321
>Die Wurstgrenadier
He werfs würstchen
>>
>>2486298
Don't go overboard. You shouldn't be wearing more than one or two items at any given time and keep it understated.
>>
>>2486384
Kinda this. My golden rule for wearing milsurp in public is to never have more than one piece of my outfit as milsurp so it can be excused as fashion rather than autism (although the latter is true). the exception to this is when going hiking because who gives a fuck, that's the time and place to larp as a military autist
>>
File: 1660203273916.png (201 KB, 515x613)
201 KB
201 KB PNG
>>2484247
>>2484349
what's so bad about mil-tec?
I've really got no idea, just discovered milsurp is a thing
I want a good looking coat to go to work with and this one looks really nice
I'm not really sure it's mil-tec but it's identical to one of theirs, found it here https://www.morgansurplus.es/es/abrigos-y-gabardinas/129-chaqueton-marina-ejusa.html
>>
Swiss milsurp gaiters - good for bushwhacking where there's an abundance of thorny undergrowth and danger noodles (snakes)

Dutch canvas tent - kind of heavy but I'm not a gearfag so it's bearable, great for taking the missus out in the bush, big enough to sit up, sponge bathe etc; and the sides open completely which is nice for sleeping by the fire or opening in the morning

German pilot bag - useless for hiking and hunting but great to carry everything a short distance for a base camp or to keep everything in one bag easy to take from the house to the truck
>>
>>2486864
I'm also curious about this. I don't know much about them. Would they be comparable to Rothco for making cheap knockoff type shit?
>>
>>2486864
Mil-tec are cheapo clothes and copies of military material. Affordable, yet the quality is questionable. I had got their waterproof notepads, waterproof bags, cookware...Not great not terrible. But their clothes, sleeping bags, backpacks...crap not suitable for outdooring.
PS: I have been in Morgan Surplus´s store in person. The prices are marked up compared to other stores and sometimes the products are very used. They have cool stuff and some bargains but I would not trust their website.
>>2486883
Yeah, Miltec is Rothco but more popular in Europe.
>>
>>2480303
>>2480303
is this your way of making yourself feel better that you've never been /out/ before but hang out on the /out/ board making stuff up
>>
Meant to post it here but did in the wrong thread. Anyone bought from zib-militaria in europe during the shutdown sale? Did you receive a package yet?
>>
>>2486958
>PS: I have been in Morgan Surplus´s store in person. The prices are marked up compared to other stores and sometimes the products are very used. They have cool stuff and some bargains but I would not trust their website.
Thanks. This is very useful actually.
>>
>>2486864
Just get a surplus pea coat off eBay, friend.
>>
>>2487086
yeah I did and no I didn't receive any message or package since the payment confirmation
>>
OP here, I bought another BDU shirt (same brand as my pants so the shade of the camo is the same. The brand is propper if you were wondering, I kinda doubt it's actual surplus but it's held up very well and fits really nice) and a boonie hat. All I need is some proper hiking boots and the larpfit will be complete
>>
>>2487762
I got it shortly after making that post lol
be patient
>>
>>2487713
you mean Surplus™ brand?
>>
>>2487780
>propper
It's not
>>
>>2487780
propper sucks dick. their pockets are too small, pants are short even if you get the long ones. helikon BDUs are much better, and cheaper too.
>>
>>2487945
The pockets seem fine to me, I can fit a folding saw with several other things in one of the thigh pockets alone. The front pockets could use a little more room, but it's fairly average size for pants like this. and the pants legs still go down to my ankles when standing up, so they don't bother me
>>2487936
I figured. As long as it's decent quality in a decent camo it works for me, which the pants so far seem to be
>>
>Ctrl + F "venture surplus"
0 results

>>2487945
Have you tried their MBDUs? I've been looking at those.
>>
>>2483323
>>2483363
>>
are you guys buying milsurp gear to primarily camp and spend time in the bush rather than hike? seeing pics like >>2474536 makes me assume you are all larping as G.I Joe.
>>
>>2488017
>are you guys buying milsurp gear to primarily camp and spend time in the bush rather than hike?
Yeah, especially considering I'd never go to an actual hiking trail dressed in in bdu clothing. It's good for traipsing around the woods
>seeing pics like >>2474536 (OP) makes me assume you are all larping as G.I Joe.
Better than larping as some expert outdoorsman and paying 4 times the amount for it
>>
>>2488017
I only own 3-4 pieces of milsurp which is stuff that stays in my pack until I need it. But yeah it's for camping.
>>
>>2488017
For me it's kind of a mix. I got my flecktarn parka at a hardware store years ago just because I thought it looked cool and had a ton of big pockets. It also fit me perfectly. I bought my jump boots because they were in awesome condition for a great price and significantly better than my Dr. Martens. Currently I'm in the market for some good, reasonably priced pants that I can use for upland bird hunting.
>>
>>2487795
coll mine arrives at friday - I also just got the message
>>
>>2488023
>>2488042
>>2488050

makes sense. enjoy frens.
>>
>>2488067
I'm really sorry about what happened to the owner but I had no communication with them apart from the order because I imagined they were overwhelmed. I only knew about the shop when anon posted about the sale.
>>
>>2488079
yeah it's really sad - I remember the days where he didn't even have a separate account and you just sent the money to his Zuber bank account, he also packed sweets in the packages and sometimes even cool extras like a leather sling when I bought a front sight hood for my k98
>>
>>2487989
i got them recently but i haven't gotten the chance to use them, since i'm still modifying some things. they're a lot less baggy than the BDUs. shirt pockets are all zipper. pants pockets are a mix of buttons and velcro, which might trigger your autism. lots of stupid velcro / rank attachment bullshit on the shirt, but it's pretty easy to remove and put in new stitching. they're also 50/50 nylon cotton, which i think makes them military compliant. generally speaking, if you dont already own any, i'd recommend their standard BDUs over the MBDUs. if you live in an especially cold place, their 50/50 nyco m65 pants (you can still find the nyco ones but they're out of production) are really good (if you remove the stupid liner attachment points on the inside)
>>
>>2488317
>>2487989
i didn't say much about the MBDUs though, did i? they feel like athlete clothes. they're form fitting, comfortable, stretchy in places, and they ventilate well. that's pretty much all there is to it
>>
>>2486958
>Rothco
Overpriced garbage even for a single-use cosplay.
>>
>>2488017
America has his holiday where you can dress up in a costume and go door-to-door getting free stuff. It's called "Veteran's Day." Last year I used Confederate reenactment gear and still got free extra pancake syrup at Denny's, shit was cash.
>>
>>2474944
Probably because Americans are actually outdoors and eruopeons are at home applying for hiking licenses
>>
>>2474653
Not only does blousing look nice, it protects your legs from ticks and bugs.
>>
>>2488760
>Not only does blousing look nice
No
>>
>>2474653
I understand bugs and ticks getting up your pants, but how does blousing help with shit getting into your boots? You're not tucking the pants in, so how is it any different than having your pants legs down? I have never been seriously outside so pardon the retarded question, but I did worry about ticks every time I took a stroll innawoods, also I'm tipsy.
>>
Anybody know where I can get a decent surplus grey wool coat for /out/ and /fa/ reasons in Europe, preferably in the UK?
>>
Has anyone tried milsurp in extreme temperatures (-10/20), been looking around for a good waterproof coat as an outer layer
>>
>>2475027
>i sweat easily
You a fatass? If so, lose some weight
>>
>>2474536
no one thinks it's weird to wear milslup as a civilian?
>>
>>2489107
Just dont go full commando wearing a complete uniform and youll be fine. No really cares if you wear a piece or two of milsurp.
>>
>>2489107
If it's for /out/ purposes, no. BDU's make great camping/hiking clothes
You'll get looks in public, which is why I don't go full kit if I'm just going somewhere
>>
>>2474653
PTSD PTSD PTSD AHHHHHHHH KILL KILL KILL IM UNDER ATTACK THERES EXPLOS--- ACKKKK NINER NINER MY ASS IS UNDER ATTACK PTSD PTSD ARRRRRRRG
>>
>>2474536
>milsurp
where do you guys get milsurp?
every "military surplus" store i have been in is a scam.
ZERO actual military surplus gear for sale.(some decorating the walls)
they sell overpriced camping gear and work wear.
>>
>>2489056
I have the leopard cammo version of the polish army jacket, and endured -10 fahrenheit, while I was wearing a wool shirt and a tank under the jacket without issues. It was without the removable fleece that can be buttoned inside the jacket. It is not waterproof, doesn't cover the head and is fugly, but can stand wind and light rains.
For 20 bucks it was a good deal.
I think you can get the woodland version with the removable fleece for 40 bucks and endure easier those temperatures, but still no head cover and waterproofing (maybe waxing...).
>>
>>2474536
Are milsurp Goretex bivy bags any good? My local surplus store has a big pile of them for $50 because they're ACU. Other patterns are like $220.
>>
>>2474973
I'm always ready to whip out my VA card and tell a boomer to stop being a flaggot. Never got the chance. Feels bad, man.
>>
>>2475027
Large ALICE (aka mountain ruck) with a frame maybe.
>>
>>2480370
They give it all to cops now.
>>
>>2489107
stolen valor isn't a thing in europe.
american milsurp market is garbage and you should be buying rec gear if you live there.
europe milsurp market is good and stolen valor doesn't exist there.
i think its pretty non-issue.
>>
>>2480334
Still bullshit lmao

>>2480365
About 6k euro or so but I spread my spending out among local and specific mil gear. I also get it back on tax so it's all a write off.

>>2480808
Ivan can go fuck himself for selling the Nutria african surp at a markup that was even higher that varuselekas. Insanity and they fucked over the gorka orders. They will never get a red cent from me.

>>2480842
If you think that's quality I'm glad to know the best places are safe.

>>2483409
I only do that because I get it for free due to tax fuckery. You better be reselling or something because that's a bad habit if so.

>>2483747
They got censored and had to scale it back. Note that you can't even find thier old Hitler card listing anymore. Funny silly shit. Also the swedish flag retardation.

>>2484349
Actual as it gets.

>>2485200
War started, that's all. >>2490048

>>2490048
Valour itself hasn't been a thing in europe since 1891
>>
>>2490162
start a blog faggot
>>
>>2474536
It looks like all the old /k/ guys have migrated to /out/.

Ok.

/k/ isn't what it used to be unfortunately.
>>
>>2490198
Thanks for bumping my blog troon
>>
>>2490635
oh no! if only there was a way to reply to a post without bumping it (newfaggot)
>>
>>2480808
>kommandostore
i mean they make some neat meme shit i guess
they pull some shady business moves sometimes
>muh saffer surp is going away and never coming back!1!!1 get it while you can at this marked up price!!!
>>
>>2490642
Lol yeah kommando and Mike's surplus are always pulling that shit. Mike's may be the worst, especially with his markups.
>>
>>2489112
>Just dont go full commando wearing a complete uniform
(and no underwear)
>>
>>2489097
Not only fat people sweat easily
>>
File: 1602148197628.jpg (47 KB, 630x630)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2474653
>>2474827
>>2474839
What makes it extremely funny to me is that i vivdly remember a thread a while ago where someone said ultralight backpacks are stupid because /out/ gear should be sturdy and reliable
And like 6 LO DRAG HIGH SPEED posters went
>UHHHHH I I I I don't think you ever had a good quality ultralight backpack buddy! They are just as reliable as regular backpacks buddy! literally no downsides just gotta be able to afford it buddy! They are reinforced buddy!
And here we are, 10 kilos loaded into a ultralight backpack and it's dead just because
>you lifted it wrong!!!
I routinely carry 10kg in my daypack that's nothing
I'll stick to my milsurp cordura rucksack with a frame for any hiking or rucking thanks.
>>
>>2480094
>10kg of ultralight gear is like 100kg of normal gear though.
>i'm just curious what the fuck an ultralighter with 10kg of gear puts in his pack?
so wait a second, you're not even supposed to load it very much now? so the only way you're supposed to use this super reliable ultralight pack correctly is if you're planning to pack it with equally reliable ultralight gear? basically everything has to be made of tinfoil or you're doing it wrong?
This is such a disgusting mindset holy shit. In the end this means that you just buy $3000 of gear that will last you one hike and you'll throw it in the trash once you're doing taking selfies. I can't even imagine who is behind popularizing this ultralight shit
>>
>>2490037
They're good.
>>
>>2483409

I'll hug you instead. Welcome to the club.
>>
>>2477940
My walmart pack can take more abuse than this shit. How in the fuck do they get people to pay $400 for a pack made of tissue paper?
>>
>>2490910
I can understand giving up durability to save weight if you're planning to walk 2,000 miles. But most people who think they need the latest ultralight gear probably never go more than a quarter mile from their car. And long thru hikes aren't my thing. I'd rather carry 45 pounds 5 miles innamountains and then just sit there in relative comfort and enjoy the place. My life goal right now is to grill a cheeseburger and crack open a cold beer deep in one of the most inaccessible mountain ranges in Arizona.
>>
>>2490910

no, mate. it doesn't work like that.

an ultralight pack won't stand up to constant abuse, particularly bush whacking, but that's not the intended purpose. they are for thru-hikers doing 20-35km+ every single day for weeks or months on end. in that scenario, it makes sense to cut every gram of weight possible. nobody is purchasing them to cart around 10kg worth of gear. if you do that, you're a dumb ass.

> throwing gear in the trash after one hike

not true. I'm still using ultralight gear that was bought years ago, and has remained in great condition.

what gear is appropriate depends on what you you're doing in the outdoors. camping? inexpensive, heavy gear or milsurp is fine. multi-day hiking? probably better to go lightweight. thru-hiking? ultralight. it's not difficult to understand.
>>
>>2491903
it feels to me like the whole thru-hike shit was invented to accommodate for "ultra-light" garbage
it's part of this obsession with numbers that Americans have
>>
>>2488017
Ya it's for camping, I find that I like BDUs a lot for being in the woods for awhile since they block a lot of brush that I'm walking through. In general as well alot of milsutp jackets and field shirts I've got are nice since they have large pockets that I can throw stuff like knives, lights, extra mags into. Unless I'm with some friends and we are hard ore larping I rarely put on gear so the big pockets are nice to toss an extra mag into if you've got a rifle with you. It's genuinely useful stuff that I prefer over searching through a bunch of PooPoo normie camping stuff since I know it'll at least work for what I want it to do as a baseline as opposed to me having to sort through and find some decent pants that'll do what I need them to do made for hiking enthusiasts or whatever
>>
>>2489107
No why the fuck would I? I rarely match my camo between my pants and jacket but even if I did and someone accused me of stolen valor I'd call them a fucking retard. All of my BDUs are either foreign camo or outdated M81 that the US doesn't use anymore, so it's guaranteed gonna be some dumb shit boomer who may call me out, and I have no issue telling him he is a dipshit and ruining his day. You get people, millenials and zoomers, don't care and if they did they don't have the confidence to speak up and say anything. Stolen valor is kind of a meme anyways, I don't think I've heard of someone even being accused of it for a decade now
>>
>>2490243
Sorta. Not all of them came here but some certainly did. I'm here from /k/ because it's been on a downward trend for awhile and finally once the Ukraine stuff happened I bailed because it got really faggoty in there
>>
>>2491984

nope. ultralight gear was born from thru-hiking, particularly back in the 90's and early 2000's when people were hauling 2kg+ packs (the weight of the backpack alone) on the PCT. people wanted to cut weight for comfort, speed, and distance.

don't be a presumptuous faggot like half the people on this board, and understand gear is designed to achieve different goals.
>>
>>2491984
ulralight is not a marketing gimmick or a category of gear. the most ultralight thing you can do is leave something at home or not buy it in the first place, most of the time.
it has been A Well Known Thing People Do since k5 was summited without oxygen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_style
>garbage
i think you just do not understand the necessity for it and what it is meant for. long distance thru hiking, 'fast packing', and its just kind of nice to have on day hikes if you already own the gear for the other reasons.
think of this:
sometimes you go /out/ and spend more time camping than traveling.
other times you spend more time traveling than camping. this is what ultralight is for.
>>
think about it this way. two stoves. do i care that mine is 20% 'worse' when i'm carrying it on my back sunrise to near sunset? not really. when i'm going on a short camping trip, i will pack the nicer heavier stove. does it suck that ultralight costs more? yeah kind of. does it not last as long? i'm not sure. i got 12 years out of my last pair of backpacks before the material started to seem saggy. i babied them and always hung or set them on a dry surface. my ul wind suit made it from 2009 until about a week ago when the ass split open (thank wewlad i always wear shorts under) anything made of metal's still good... yeah ul gear's fine if you don't try to use it for stuff its not meant for. i have normal gear too fool. ul isn't for poors.
>>
the only ul stuff i can think of that falls apart unreasonably fast are dwr hard shells and rain shells..... ok i'll give you that, they suck dick. there's a solution to that.... ever seen someone on a thru hike these days? bet you they're wearing the $20 frog toggs jacket from wal*mart.
>>
>>2492426
I've got a buddy who just swapped out his ultralight backpack for a mystery ranch because last time we went hiking it got beat up pretty bad on the trail. The trail was both overgrown and needed maintenance bad due to a hurricane blowing over a ton of branches onto it as well as a couple logs, one of which we had to duck under. Mystery ranch was fine(although cleaning out all of the little pieces of organics in the creases after was annoying) but his backpack looked a little worse for wear. UL is cool but definitely not ideal for everything until they invent some magic super durable lightweight material
>>
File: blood.jpg (291 KB, 1599x1600)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
Anons, hard decision: Boonie Hat or Finnish cap (pic rel)?
>>
>>2492478
that's just not using ultralight for what its meant for. most people who do ultralight has normal gear too. normal gear is dirt cheap. ultralight is for long distances on established trails.
>>
>>2494514
I'd say finnish cap for the cold, boonie hat for general sun protection. You could feasibly use the boonie hat for both, but I feel the finnish cap would be a bitch to wear in any weather above 80
>>
>>2490037
My 10 year old and heavily washed bivvy is still water resistant. I highly recommend the full sleep system. Last winter I slept through and woke up covered by an inch of snow.
>>
>>2492420
It's like telling people that you shouldn't buy a normal knife for camping but you should instead buy a monofilament scalpel that achieves atom level cuts and is discarded after use because that's what surgeons choose to cut people open in extremely delicate scenarios so it's objectively the better choice. Then people tell you that not everyone wants to do open heart surgery and only then you start dialing back.
Nobody is against using a few pieces of ultralight gear. But backpacks that aren't meant to take any load without falling apart are just shit backpacks.
>>
>>2494560
if you're doing surgery, then yes i would say the scalpel is better than a knife. i'll admit it, i'm right, and the only arguments against ultralight are poorcope.
>>
>>2494640
>if you don't want to buy products that work like a subscription and you need to replace periodically and will break because you accidentally picked them up wrong you're "poorcoping"
holy shit kill yourself you fucking disgusting goy NPC
>>
>>2483363
That’s just average cavalry they don’t count
>>
Want to grab a pair of US army jungle combat boots as general purpose shitkickers, anybody tried them out?
t. actual servicemember sick to death of roughout
>>
>>2474653
>just like that faggot last month who broke his $450 ultralight pack because he was too dumb to use the hauling strap
i proper think about him regularly lmao
>>
>>2483334
what's the benefit of having a military furplus pack?
>>
File: IMG_0752 1.jpg (3.23 MB, 4032x3024)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB JPG
>>2486298
like this
all gear depicted but the shemagh is surplus.
>>
File: 20211024_221208.jpg (157 KB, 2016x1134)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>2486298
>>2486384
Max it out. you should be wearing full milsurp all the time, people should regularly mistake you for a soldier.
>>
>>2489169
>where do you guys get milsurp?
military mart (lancashire)
army and navy (stoke)
random stall at a market
>>
>>2489107
yes i am weird though
>>
>>2495871
one of the best surplus outfits i have seen, nice one anon. Where is everything from?
>>
File: 1465581575621.gif (1.15 MB, 200x147)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB GIF
>>2485574
>look at fort bragg to see if they have decently priced level 7 parka
>have it listed for $99
>get relatively excited
>they're all sold out
>even the bizarro sizes like x-small long
>mfw
it's legitimately easier and cheaper to just order a level 7 parka straight from tennier these days. the trousers are plentiful and decently price, so what the fuck happened?

>>2495783
wouldn't recommend jungle boots as general-purpose type boots. get some euro surp boots if you're tired of roughouts.
>>
>>2496345
shirt: swedish, generic
trousers: british OG combats (pro tip: cut the stitching in the centre of the leg pocket to give you more pocket volume)
gaiters: swiss
boots: korean
bag: british gas mask bag
>>
>>2496363
Got a source for the Korean boots? I had a pair I got in central Asia but I had to leave them behind. Always regretted that.
>>
>>2474536
Out and mil surp fag here
So I'm going to break some bad news to you, most milsurp gear is not actually that great. Most military gear is designed to be mass-produced and just reliable enough that it can be replaced easily but not break frequently. The civilian market generally has far better materials that are either more durable lighter more comfortable and all around just better. A great example of this are boots military boots suck ass, civilian boots are awesome. You can get civilian all-weather gear that is a lot better a lot cheaper and a lot lighter when compared to military gear. There are very few things that are Milsurp that I would say are actually worth it and most of those things are little tools. For example military compasses really good the ones with the tritium great. Canteens and cookware pretty good as well. The military sleeping bag system also pretty good their new backpacks are also fairly decent as well. Again though if you shop the civilian market you generally going to get better quality stuff.
>>
>>2496488
no actually, they were left in a lost and found somewhere i used to work. After several months pass, unclaimed things are given away to the staff- they just happened to be exactly my size! they were nearly new too. got Korean writing on them and a military symbol on the sole. I've never seen exactly the same pair for sale on surplus sites.
>>2496507
I'm sure we've had this conversation before; don't know what milsurp or civvy gear you're buying but my experience is the opposite, most civvy gear is cheap poorly made crap that is uncomfortable and falls apart. because ....
>Most military gear is designed to be mass-produced
guess what? same for civvy gear only (((they))) fucking scam you and use shite materials and poor quality construction.
>You can get civilian all-weather gear that is a lot better a lot cheaper and a lot lighter when compared to military gear.
I'll give you it might be lighter, but my milsurp gear is tough as fuck and some pieces have lasted me more than 8 years. and they were one tenth of the price of civilian gear. my korean boots are a perfect example, they are the comfiest boots i've ever had. done thousands of miles in them. and because of thier traditional construction, they can be repaired, like most milsurp and unlike a lot of modern gear.
>There are very few things that are Milsurp that I would say are actually worth it
>Canteens
>cookware
>sleeping bag
>backpacks
>tools
>compasses
>very few things
so basically everything you need to go out?
>>
>>2496488
just did a little search for them and found the only imagery i've ever seen of my exact boots online;
https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-3933530-general-views-korean-demilitarized-zone-dmz-cu
second guy, with the eyelets all the way up.
>>
>>2496533
>shite materials
the textiles they use in civvie gear and milsurp are off the shelf and come from the same suppliers. there's not really any quality difference across brands or industries in regards to materials.
high end civvie gear will often use much higher end textiles than anything found in milsurp because its unreasonable to kit out an entire army in bleeding edge yacht sail tech like say X-Pac. when the patents expire you'll see milsurp made out of it.
>(((they)))
you don't think jews run the military contractor game? kekw
>and some pieces have lasted me more than 8 years
most of my ultralight shit i bought in the mid 2000's is still fine. the only stuff that's really fallen apart or naturally degraded are consumables (boots, shoes, socks, etc) puffy jackets and shell jackets.
some of it you just have to baby a bit (like always hanging my pack) but it lasts fine.
>mass produced
what do you think milsurp is? mass produced + lowest common denominator + design priorities that aren't outdoor recreation.
especially american market milsurp. europeans get some admittedly nice stuff made by civvie recreation brands in mil contracts.
>backpacks
the us mil buys their designs from civvie companies like osprey and has them made with lower quality labor. they're good *deals* but not amazing backpacks compared to what's out there on the civvie market.
>so basically everything you need to go out?
clothing and shelter are pretty important i'd reckon.
>>
i'd extend what that anon said and say milsurp clothing can be really fucking good too. just not all of it. very hit or miss. you can't fully kit yourself out in it and be min/maxed.
as a random example, ecwcs grid thermals are the best sleeping base layers you'll get without spending $200 on a wool set.
poncho liners were legendary until collectors ran the prices up.
bitches love cuddling in my ecwcs high pile fleece.
etc.
>>
>>2496563
Clothing like fleeces, base layers, and socks are all great to buy surp though. Sleeping bags are honestly too heavy. Which ones do people like these days? The USMC three season?

I think the only elements I'd say to avoid is shelter (even then my Dutch bivy is great) and most backpacks due to poor ergonomics. I wish I never bought most of my packs and instead bought one or two nice modern packs. My swiss ones from the 50s are great for just daily wear though. Some day packs I still use, like the Dutch assault pack.
>>2496565
>ecwcs high pile fleece
Which model?
>>
military is better. nylon is BETTER than polyester (50/50 nylon cotton is the best fabric ever made). triple stitching is BETTER than single or double. big pleated pockets are BETTER than fashion pockets with fake pleating.
>DUHHHH LOWEST BIDDER
shut the fuck up. seriously, just shut the fuck up. you sound like the monkeys who think the made for TV pentagon wars movie is real. yeah, they select with the cheapest contender that still meets hundreds of different mil standards - WOAH, that must mean everything the military uses is bad, right?
>>2496563
companies and brands don't matter. there are maybe a dozen clothing companies in the world where the brand name actually means anything. how about the country of manufacture? how about the DESIGN, and the STANDARDS? did you use your brain for 1 second? these companies manufacture their corner cutting profit margin obsessed consumer products in china, and their military contract wares in the US or europe. you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>2496563
>the textiles they use in civvie gear and milsurp are off the shelf and come from the same suppliers
incorrect.
>>2496563
>high end civvie gear will often use much higher end textiles than anything found in milsurp
but you didn't say high end did you? if it's high end of course it's better.
I don't want to have this stupid debate.
>>2496582
this anon is doing it for me
>>
>>2474536
Anyone know where to get USA surplus in europe?
>>
>>2496592
don't you dare ruin the legacy of cromartie high school with such an awful post.
>incorrect.
no. its correct. nylon is nylon. mil spec just means thicker nylon, which is the opposite of good for /out/.
>>2496582
>how about the country of manufacture?
almost meaningless these days. look at the italian custom shoe market. nothing but chinese immigrants in the factories, done only so they can put hand made in italy on the tag. still charge the same as back in the day when white guys made them.
>these companies manufacture their corner cutting profit margin obsessed consumer products in china
i'm recommending cottage brands, not chinese gear. if you're from europe where the term isn't as common, it means gear hand made by usually white guys. 1-25 employee companies.
>how about the DESIGN,
usually the military contracts out their designs to recreational outdoor companies (arc'teryx, carinthia, etc) or private contractors that are essentially the same thing but not public facing.
>and the STANDARDS?
most of them don't apply to rec hiking for shit. nobody's throwing napalm and hand grenades at you. who cares about colorfastness in camping gear. etc.
>>2496579
>Which model?
the cold weather one that comes in the strange moss color you don't really see anywhere else. i can't remember exactly what its called. there's two patterns of it and the rarer one is rather nice. the one without all the velcro spots for badges.
>>
here's an example of some random ass cottage brands so you know what i mean.
https://timmermade.com/ everything on here's hand made custom by one guy.
https://www.ula-equipment.com/ https://enlightenedequipment.com/ here's some examples of "large" cottage brands. large being like 10 employees.
especially for things like sleeping bags, holy shit the cottage industry MOGS milsurp on quality, price, performance, everything.
>>
File: 1651669363711.jpg (239 KB, 1071x714)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>2496582
>triple stitching is BETTER than single or double
sure i will agree, but gear actually designed for what you're doing is better than gear that isn't.
let's use pants as an example. sure some military pants might be triple stitched and rugged but the crotch area is still going to be sewn together like picrel. using a stock photo of jeans for convenience, the stitching pattern's just about the same. fine for walking, but it will be the first point of failure if you climb or cycle in them. my hiking pants from a recreational company were designed with these things in mind and have a gusseted crotch and won't prematurely blow out. pants with a standard pattern develop holes in the crotch really quickly from either of these activities. yes my pants might *only* be double stitched but they will last much longer because they're designed for what i use them for.
>>
here's my /out/ gear tier list fight me on it
rule of thumb with some exceptions. based on quality and applicability to /out/door recreation. price not factored in.
cottage brands = highest-end recreational > milsurp > recreational > chink
>>
>>2474536
has anyone had any problems wearing Austrian surplus in public - I have a field shirt I wear over a t-shirt and don't want to risk having the police on me again.
t. yuropoor
>>
>>2497783
Unless it's the newest version of the austrian uniform, Austrian Army is plain olive cammo, literally just a solid color as common clothes.
Just wear it and don't try to larp as a private to access some military facility.
>>
>>2497783
you could always take off the patches like I did for my austrian jacket.
you'll be fine.
>>
>>2497783
i wear austrian surplus at work, or for going around the town with dogs with no problem why should they bother you?
>>
>>2497783
>again
seems like there is a story here, that you should tell us, anon.
>>
File: ruski camo.png (1.03 MB, 639x848)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>2474536
any ideas what this ammo is called? all I know is that its a relatively new Russian style.
>>2501080
wore Austrian milsurp walking around a large port city in the NE coast and had police called on me at a party, had to explain that it was just Austrian/German milsurp and not Nazi paraphernalia
>>
southern california bros what are we wearing for winter outdoors stuff? my gf just got a tent and wants to go camping out in the shit because I showed her steve's MRE reviews and she thinks it's the coolest thing ever. should I cop a goretex parka shell and some pants and call it a day?
>>
Just picked up an OD green field jacket and one of those desert night camos that k likes to meme at silverback surplus for $125 total. Very comfy.
>>
>>2474536
I still use shit I was issued in the Army because I'm too cheap and lazy to figure out anything better. I'm still here.
The paki shit you're talking about works too it just falls apart pretty fast. Those are made for retards and soldiers that need some shit in a pinch for an upcoming layout. Actual US milsurp is solid and designed/tested to keep you alive.
The only piece of gear I'm seriously considering replacing is my ruck sack, but only because I want something that packs a bit better. Even still, I'm reluctant because my ruck just works.
>>
>>2484049
That's the jungle though dude. Before I got out we were given new uniforms to test with mesh on the inside so we could leave our shit unbloused while still keeping bugs out. Before we got those everyone still bloused their shit because bugs like centipedes will quite literally crawl up your leg and bite the tip of your dick. I've seen it happen. We'd only do wizard sleeves. We also never used tents, I noticed you guys got cool little tents so I guess in your case it was fine to leave your shit unbloused. I wish we got those too. For other environments he (sorta) has an autistic point.
Now me? I'm a civilian now so I don't blouse my boots. I'm just saying he tangentially has a point.
t. 25th ID 11B
>>
>>2484070
Well that and the fact that he acts like it's a life or death difference. It really won't kill you.
>>
are goretex boots a bad idea if I live in a drought prone area? I read shit about it being equivalent to walking around in the summer with plastic bags on your feet, then I read other shit about how it's totally fine if you have good socks.
>>
File: plce.jpg (194 KB, 583x800)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
Anyone use a PLCE bergen? Looking for something bigger than my 30l but maybe the PLCE is too big. I carried my friend's for about half a day and it was super comfy to me and they're dirt cheap in the UK.
>>
Is the US sleep system good? I can get a complete set for the same price as one carinthia bag. I have an old Canadian 64 ruck to carry it...

> Canadian, where everything is expensive.
>>
>>2502974
first know how much gear you'll be carrying on your /out/ings then buy your rucksack. But if you indeed need a 80 liter, 2.8 kg rucksack then go for it. Price is fantastic imo
>>
>>2486349
It's a french soldier
>>
>>2502907
>>2503545
filling trash bags with a known volume with all your gear, then some extra filler for food and water and wiggle room is a quick and easy way to get a pretty accurate idea what size pack you need.
most military style packs don't cinch down very well to smaller sizes. they're meant to be carried full or near full at their intended volume. sometimes you can get away with filling those ultralighter or rec packs with way less than their volume, but not always.
>>
>>2503512
it's rated for 4 hours of sleep at -30F when the system is used together with waffles on. i'm not sure if you that'll cover what you need, but you can always sleep in your clothes for more warmth.
>>
>>2501376
That camo is called EMR, but commonly called "Digiflora"

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.