[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

What is /out/s opinion on both? I am looking into getting decent pair of pants for trekking and I'm wondering if it's worth it to get a pair of pants that can also be used as a pair of shorts during the summertime.
Being able to Zip-Off the legs of your pants on the fly if it gets too hot also seems like a great deal but I'm very worried about the durability of a pair of pants like that since the zippers add another point of failure.
>>
>>2466200
I swear I've seen this thread before more than once but to answer you OP they're complete trash.
>>
>>2466202
I've been lurking for 3 weeks now and I haven't seen a thread about this. Thanks for the answer.
>>
>>2466200
I love mine. Only got a cheap pair but it's really nice to just have one pair to take for this time of year when days are warm and evenings are chilly
>>2466202
Works on my machine
>>
Pretty much what >>2466207 said, I have a pair running shorts I wear when the days are still warm, anda pair of light weight, paper thin ripstop joggers I wear when it’s windy/chilly in the evenings and nights. If it gets colder, I can wear my thermal leggings under the joggers until I go to bed. I normally start at around 7000ft elevation and go up to 12-13k so the weather at the trailhead heavily influences what I ultimately bring.
I have a few pairs of pre-covid prana zions that I used to wear every time I went out, but they’re overkill unless you’re going on multi-day trips or over rough, rock-climbing, bushwacky terrain. If you do that, then sure get some vaguely military style pants. If you’re doing short weekend overnighters on well-worn trails, then plan on modular layering according to the weather.
Also, you can forget everything I just said and wear whatever the fuck you want on trail. Damn, if you just want to go all-out military fatigues, heavy boots, AK at hand, then just do it. The important thing is that you enjoy the experience.
>>
>>2466213
Calm down Nancy
>>
>>2466200
i dont like the feel of the zippers pressing against my legs

shorts weight nothing to carry with you if you want to change

also why not just walk in boxer underwear if it gets hot?
>>
I'm gonna use this thread to ask about pants... I am poor, so I only have one pair oof nice heavy duty pants for hiking. I carry spare socks, spare underwear, spare shirt... what kind of spare pants should I carry? Note that I live in a temperate region, so exclude scenarios where my legs would shatter like icicles if exposed momentarily to the elements
>>
>>2466530
I have a thin cotton training trouser (the lightest i could find) and use it in case i'm washing my regular stuff.
Turns out washing places don't like naked hikers waiting for their stuff.
>>
>>2466551
Okay great to hear, that's what I'm doing right now. I pack these jogging shorts to wear just in case I need to wash/dry my main pants.
>>
>>2466520
>i dont like the feel of the zippers pressing against my legs
This is what did it in for me. I was considering zip-off legs, but when I tried them on and walked with them, crouched, and sat, I didn't like the feel. I figured it's not a dealbreaker to always have long pants either (it's sun protection, for one thing), at least as long as they're thin (which mine are).
>>
File: 1662215755403.jpg (67 KB, 453x604)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2466558
You will never feel the breeze caressing through your leg hair m8.
What a sorry existence.
>>
>>2466530
none, you don't even need spare pants for a 3000 mile thru hike, there's no reason to have them. i've walked from mexico to canada twice without a spare pair of pants. bring spare underwear instead.
if you want to be able to wash your clothes on long trips without exposing your twig & berries then just do the standard "baggy pants with a pair of shorts underneath them" instead of zip-offs.
>>
File: 1651218207822.png (1008 KB, 1468x1828)
1008 KB
1008 KB PNG
legs layering systems for dummies
i left alpine/expedition conditions off the list because if you're getting advice from an info-graphic you shouldn't do that stuff yet. and it varies too much.
>>
my guide is obviously oriented for hiking extreme distances but can be adapted to whatever. ignore the brands i used generic images of. its the idea behind it not the products to consoom that matter.
>>
File: trail pants.jpg (109 KB, 570x363)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
I wear pic related in case I meet a lone female hiker on the trail
>>
>>2466655
based and rape pilled
>>
File: 1662146969730565.jpg (180 KB, 719x466)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
zip pants might be more functional but they look as gay as trail runners so i never got any
>>
I lile to unzip them slightly for ventilation
>>
File: 1645747077009.png (223 KB, 460x276)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
>>2466707
>zip pants might be more functional but they look as gay as trail runners so i never got any
>>
>>2466530
Just get some polycotton pants that dry quickly. If they get soaked hang them up inside your tent overnight with all vents and flies open (provided that you don't let the rain in) and they'll be dry enough by morning.
>>
>>2466756
polycotton is under-rated. people always say its the worst of both worlds but i've given it a re-look lately.
>does smell, but not nearly as bad as synthetic
>slow drying, but not impossible to dry like cotton wool
>decently abrasion resistant, but not expensive like stretch nylon blends, which is really relevant for off trailing in areas that destroy clothes
i've concluded its actually one of the best hiking shirt materials, but i haven't tried it out with pants much yet.
>>
>>2466200
Just roll your pant legs up like a man
>>
>>2466607
I feel this all could be reduced to light merino underwear, zip-off pants and rainpants.
>>
I included zip offs in my gear when I spent 2 weeks camping in remote OK. Added versatility without added weight. I kept a pair of thick workpants for brush busting and stuff, though. Wouldn't trust most zip offs in real rough conditions. They were good for relaxing around camp, though.
>>
>>2466972
merino underwear is disgusting in the summer and hiking pants are miserable in the summer.
techically 80% hikes most of us do you could get away with your cock exposed wearing nothing below the waist. all a matter of how much you want to minmax.
>>
zip off pants shorts are gonna be like 4x thicker than the type of shorts i recommend. my guide is how to not get swamp cock after a day hiking.
if you don't mind swampy ass then yeah wear whatever.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.