[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 107 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

File: s-l1600.jpg (105 KB, 1024x424)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>Axe thread

considering pic related. post yer axe.
>>
File: IMG_20220621_152555166.jpg (284 KB, 750x1000)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
She's purty gurl.
>>
Picked up a bison general forestry axe. Dulled on the first day glancing a rock. Sad times.
>>
File: axes.png (1.27 MB, 865x720)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
>>2446923
top pic is an axe my dad gave me, which i feebly tried to restore and passed down to my kid, with an acid etched engraving -- my first attempt, be gentle. (hatchet included in pic to draw out the folding saw shill brigade)
bottom is my favorite-- helko splitting axe (pic was taken the day i got it). haven't touched my maul since then.
>>
>>2446931
That's one of the gayest axes made. My buddy has it and it's shit to use.
>>
>>2446952
Looks like it'll rattle the shit out of your hands after a couple swings.
>>
are there any good cheap shephard axes out there
>>
What shocked me is that tuatani uses 15 degree edge and a Chinsel edge.
A Chinsel edge. How the hell does that not break when cutting?

Is Chinsel edge the best kind of edge?
>>
>>2446962
the leather wears in till it is quite pleasant to use. it will last a lifetime and is very cheap. an excellent first axe. its more of an all rounder suffering in splitting ability the most. its great for clearing land though and ease of sharpening means you can be incredibly rough with it and a touch up with a file will take seconds. just check the grind before purchase as mine was mega fucked up and took a bunch of reshaping.
>>
>>2447014
you mean a chisel edge?
>>
Is there an actual difference between chopping axes and splitting axes, or is this just a newly fashioned thing in order to make you consoom? Like if I get an axe that looks like the bottom one in >>2446950 will it be subpar for chopping?
>>
OHHHH so THAT is why you have double headed axes. One side for chopping, one side for splitting?
>>
>>2446923
I always wanted a proper, big, thick, robust axe that won't break ever, what to buy?
>>
I asked this in the qtddtot but I'm looking for a wood handled axe that's about 3-6 lbs as a step up from a council tool boys axe. I am ok spending up to about $200 (preferably less) to get a better steel. Mix of hardwood and pine usage
>>
>>2447034
I think both heads are the same, so once one side Is dull, you can use the other one.
>>
>>2447093
Gransfors Bruk
>>
>>2446923
Cant get a picture right now but I've been very pleased with my hultafors Ekelund. I'm on the verge of buying a hultan hatchet too (hand axe, hactually) but might be swayed to a Műller.
>>
I got an Estwing Campers in Orange
Its great for my little outings

Thinking about getting the 26" campers axe in black to keep in my truck for the bigger stuff.
Thoughts?
>>
>>2447034
thats exactly what a double bit is for
>>
>>2447034
No, one was a pristine cutting edge for chopping and feeling the other was used for shit work with high probability of chipping the blade like cutting roots etc. Sauce - some axe history book talking about their use in 19th century America.
>>2447158
> t. never even held one in hand
He said thick, robust axe. Gransfors makes the thinest handles of all 'hand forged' brands.
>>
>>2447030
if you try using a splitting axe to fell you're going to have a very bad time.

splitting axe: the fatter blade is designed to split wood along the grain
felling axe: thinner blade is designed to take chunks of wood out

there's hybrids that try to cover both use cases of course. for me though, we have a ton of reprod pine on our property, and i use a lot of wood chips for landscaping. So, I wind up having to split a metric ton of 8"-16" rounds. at first I used an 8 pound fiskars maul for splitting these, but it's just unnecessarily heavy; adds up after a few hours.
>>
Thin handles last longer than thick.
Increasing the thickness for strength just adds stress risers and reduces the flexibility that's needed to absorb shock.
>>
>>2447268
My idea is that I'm going to use a saw for smallish (<20cm) logs, so I'd only need a lightweight splitting axe.
>>
Are the Fiskars plastic handled hatchets overhyped?
>>
>>2447374
they're cheap enough that who really cares?
i've had mine for about 4 years, and it's never seen the inside of its sheath, nor indoors of any kind

held up pretty well (without sharpening), still works great for limbing pine trees.
>>
I know chopping axes should be kept pretty sharp, but what about splitting mauls?

Hair shaving sharp? just a basic edge?
>>
Anyone have any experience with the cheapo axes they have at the Harbor Freight? I'm still shopping around for an axe. Is it just worth it to get a shitty one to learn axe skills on and then go for a better one when I know what to look for?
>>
>>2448291
basic edge should be fine, a sharp axe bites into wood better i dont see it being necessary for an axe of that role to be shaving sharp unless you were planning on using it as more than just a maul.
>>
>>2448297
keep in mind that youll probably have to sharpen/file it yourself as most cheap axes are worse than butterknife dull and watch out for bad handle grain and that it may be mounted onto the handle shitty.
>>
>>2448297
Estate sales are great. Just look for old axes; the cheap axes of today are made with garbage steel; whereas a few minutes with a flap wheel sander and a new handle can yield a very good axe with a bit of effort (and restoring them is fun)
>>
>>2447261
Own multiple. Leagues better than just about anything else. Mueller is pretty good too
>>
File: PXL_20220826_174300148.jpg (1.63 MB, 1944x2592)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
>>2446923

I thought you'd never ask Anon.

All recently restored and rehandled.
>>
File: PXL_20220618_234723551.jpg (2.79 MB, 4032x3024)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
>>2448737

original condition. Paid $35 each
>>
>>2448746
>>2448737
good work anon, they are beautiful.
>>
>>2448746
How did you remove the rust I was trying electrolysis on a double headed axe I got for free but it isnt working that well.
>>
>>2448758
i used a 200grit flap wheel (cordless drill) when restoring and old axe from my pops
took about 5 minutes?
>>
>>2448758
I find electrolysis and rust baths a waste of time. 30 minutes with an angle grinder and a wire brush will obliterate a century of rust. I finish by hand sanding with 300 then 600 grit sandpaper.

An angle grinder is almost a mandatory investment if you regularly restore old tools, but you need some self control or you can easily damage the tool.
>>
>>2448851
>I find electrolysis and rust baths a waste of time.

Some rust is actually converted back into iron. Electrolysis does never take away healthy iron but with an angel grinder, belt grinder or even a file you're bound to take off more than what you need.
>>
File: 20220826_224922.jpg (4.57 MB, 4608x2592)
4.57 MB
4.57 MB JPG
The ones I use the most is the Wtterling and Gränsfors liten skogsyxa (Small forest axe). Nothing beats Swedish steel.

Am in the process of restoring some axes too.
>>
I bought a fiskars X10 for 25 eurobucks new
I didn't strictly need it but it was too good to pass up
>>
Anybody hear of Norlund axes? I got one and hear it's pretty legit.
>>
>>2447014
chisel is the best
convex is bouncy and doesnt bite far across fibres
concave is too sticky and fragile
each wood will have an ideal geometry for best performance balancing how deep it bites and how easy it is to remove
tuatahi axes dont break because they are made of good steel and they go through the effort of tempering it properly. hardware store axes are just cast and ground which is why the edge always gets fucked at the slightest trouble
>>
>>2447019
steel is absolute shit for handles, it doesnt control the shock like wood does, you use them for more than 10 minutes and it makes your hands sore whereas a long thin wooden handle you swing for hours
>>
>>2447261
thick handles are not better, they take more energy to grip and therefore tire you out faster, durability of the handle is only an issue if you are a retard and miss
>>
File: 4X0cWrc.jpg (1.17 MB, 2448x2448)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>2451491
100% true. that's why the handle is made from leather and not steel. its not just leather wrapped either. when i first got it it was uncomfortable to use for extended periods, but like all leather products it eventually wore in and now absorbs shock well.
>>
>>2448871
since you have a ton of high end axes: how do the fiskars compare to these?
>>
>>2451489
>hardware store axes are just cast and ground
No. Most axe heads are drop forged through a series of dies to gradually shape it.
>>
>>2451515

The comparison is apples and oranges. They'll do the same job as a "high end" ax, but they're cheaper, uglier, and less ergonomic than proper old steel and wood.

The heads are chunky, the handles are hollow and plastic, the balance is weird and they feel overall cheap and yet they still chop and don't break. If you don't plan on using it a ton, $30 or whatever they cost is perfectly reasonable.
>>
>>2451535
I love 'em. What do you think about the fancy(er) Norden series? I have everything I need already but I'd like to grab an N7 eventually.
>>
>>2447261

Look at the handles on big vintage felling axes used by big fucking lumberjacks: they were thinner than Gransfors by a good bit.
>>
>>2451539

They look basically like the X10/etc but with half-wood handles. Either will do a perfectly good job at axing things and Fiskars has good quality and cheap prices. The composite upper will be better at withstanding overstrikes than wood, and the wood will be better at absorbing hits. They make good gift axes.

For axes and heavy hand tools for personal use I go exclusively with >>2448737 because I enjoy collecting and restoring cheap old tools. For $60-$70 and a few hours of work you can get better quality than most tools on the market today.
>>
I love this man, shows how it's done
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDAPW2hS0JxSlCO16p8_6BA
>>
>>2448291
in my experience you don't want mauls to be hair shaving sharp because it defeats their purpose. The blade will cut into the top few inches of your log really well and then stop - the splitting power from the maul really comes from the weight of the head transferred through the swing. It's much better if you keep them at a basic edge.
>>
>>2451821
Getting a shaving sharp edge doesn't necessarily mean thinning down the body.
>>
>>2446923
I've used a cheap fiskars hatchet for a while. I recently purchased a nice Hults Bruk hatchet. What accessories can you guys recommend besides a sharpening stone? I'd like to take nice care of this thing. I was thinking about getting an overstrike protector
>>
>>2451947
>thinking about getting an overstrike protector
just whip it my man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afi1iXuMiBg
keep it in the sheath or in a vise while you do it, for safety
it's easier than it looks
>>
cocksucker "friend" put a giant chip in my gransfors bruk
>>
>>2452172
post pictures
>>
>>2452172
A friend's sister dropped my knife on the tip once, never lend your shit. I dunno why people act like fucking gorillas with other people's things.
>>
>>2451949
when the rope is bound rock hard like that it the energy is still transferred into the wood.
these wraps dont help and just stop you being able to inspect the wood underneath for damage
>>
>>2452172
>>2452234
one of my "friends" asked me to go camping last week then pulled out some knife she stole from me that had my fuckin name written on the handle.
oh well benchmade is a fag company now i don't even miss that piece of shit. sanrenmu chinks do the axis lock better anyways.
>>
>>2452276
I dunno, this dude makes axes and does forestry shit for a living. I think he knows what he's doing. Other people who split logs all day also whip similarly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfNOjaa9O3w
What else woukd you suggest?
>>2452282
LOL why didn't you take it back?
>>
>>2452284
you just dont wrap it, replace the handle if it does take a serious impact, the problem with wraps is it hides whether or not you should replace it. handles are only 20$ or free if you make it yourself just replace it if it takes a major hit
>>
>>2452284
i figure she needs it more than me since she's homeless-drifting mexico right now. plus benchmade is a fag brand now.
>>
>>2452313
I hope that knife wasn't like $300 because holy coperoni
>>
>>2452317
just a griptillian no biggie. it was kind of trash anyways. only bought it because axis was the best lock i could carry in my old faggot city where fixeds and most locks were illegal.
>>
>buy axe called "grannysforce bruks"
>lend it to grandma
>it bruks
>>
File: IMG_0561.jpg (1.06 MB, 1138x3684)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>2446923
This axe has served me well for more than 20 years.
>>
>>2447158
its really the only product worth buying under 300 dollars these days. everything else is trash pot metal steel that will chip and deform from even light camp use
>>
>>2452914
fuck off stop shilling for overpriced swede meme, Gransfors literally uses recycled steel. https://youtu.be/vcuRNQLNmSk
>doesnt know that Rinaldi, Hultafors agdor or Muller, CT axes exist.
>>
>>2452973
I've noticed about a lot of "traditional" brands that they've shifted to a collector's market. Your chances of getting a tool meant for actual use seem to be much better if you get something modern and plastic-handled than a traditional artisanal tool, no matter how well crafted it's known to be. Especially the really really high end artisanal shit seems to have become stuff that isn't made to be used but only looked at as a fashion statement or whatever.
Also the prices of this sort of shit have skyrocketed over the years while other tools stayed relatively cheap.
Part of me wants to resist the Mora/Fiskars pill but the more I look, the more real it feels. When you talk to people about this they stay visibly coping, "y-yeah but I like the wood", "b-but it's handmade, it has a warmer feel, when I use it I can feel the soul of the steel bonding with me...", "b-but these industrially made things have a burr on the edge out of the box..."
>>
>>2453042
a fair point anon, for me though i like the idea of having a tool i can use for decades and pass on to my kid, and then his kids, and so forth. maybe there's a bias towards traditionalism there, namely wooden handles vs tacticool shit with a fiber glass/plastic handle and gaudy paint.

i did splurge a bit on a helko splitting axe, but going forward i'm going to start prowling estate sales and look for beat up axes/hatches and just restore those (as much for the fun factor as the quality of steel used in tools has taken a nose dive over the past decade or so)
>>
>>2453111
I'm honestly getting the impression that the tacticool shit is where you can find actual quality, because it's a market built specifically on competition and performance. I'm not saying that tacticool fags are "truer" users than people who buy traditional looking shit, because they mostly run on the same shopaholism as collectors, but I think they're more inclined to get say a knife based on performance, and if that performance fails the knife won't sell. I get the feeling that this is where you find the cutting edge steel and newer materials that are high performing. The tacticool fag is most likely to "test" the shit he buys, he'll be some kind of prepper or gearhead, even if he doesn't actually use the gear daily in its application. The traditional buyer simply doesn't care that much about performance, he doesn't know how to sharpen the thing either so he slices some paper with the tool out of the box (which will be very sharp because it's "handmade" and not shat out industrially) and rate it 10/10 and keep it in its nice sheath because he would never want to ruin it, because he buys based on the thought that price = "artisan" manufacture and "craft" and "love and care" and "art" while the tactifag thinks price = cutting edge materials. He doesn't care if the thing is handmade in the traditional Lapland way, he wants the thing to have the latest supersteel. Again I'm not saying this to shine a positive light on tactilarpers, preppers and what have you, but I think that the mindset of these buyers naturally pushes companies to research materials and performance, while at the same time I think tradition is becoming a lot like greenwashing, where it's a premium for premium's sake.
>>
I know this is mostly a knife post but after seeing the performance of Fiskars axes and the amount of irrational cope around that (whether Fiskars axes are actually good or not, the cope did not address that but "m-muh feel of wood!") I really had to think hard about how progress and resistance to progress affect the market. Those fiberglass handles are actually near indestructible, there's very little reason to keep using wooden ones if you have this tech available. Knives transitioned out of tradition pretty fast for some reason, even if they're less of a "work" tool than axes. Maybe because they're more accessible?
I sound like I'm anti-tradition, I do love and respect old designs because they follow a reiteration process of development very similar to Nature's own MO, pretty much every traditional knife design is a product of what people did with it for millennia. I've seen a guy use a weird Roman-era billhook to process an olive tree and the tool was obviously tailor made for what he was doing. It's been used on olive trees for actual millennia, you can't beat that. But if you use better materials, probably, and a high-tech industrial process to make this shit you probably end up with a superior tool.
>>
File: axe.png (1.23 MB, 1343x338)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>2453135
my take was mostly that when i see something with a fiberglass or plastic handle mentally i just go to 'disposable'. it's a bias for sure though. fiberglass probably does last longer than wood, but when it comes to an heirloom type thing, wood/leather > plastic. but that's just me.

but regarding not actually using the traditional type stuff.. heh, pic related.

(i've got a veritable tree farm to work with and need a solid splitting axe for acres and acres of reprod pine -- i have a fiskars 'tacticool' maul that's plastic and fiberglass but it's just overkill and unnecessarily heavy)
>>
>>2453147
Yeah I'm just rambling. If I had the money, I'd probably ramble the same but I'd get a Karesuando Unna Aksu lol. This is the same splitter as >>2446950 right? It's really nice.
>>
>>2453042
>>2453111
>>2453135
you can still get quality for cheap. cheaper than fiskars in a lot of cases and always cheaper than gransfors

Fyi tactical community makes meme tools that survive abuse by morons but don't actually perform well mostly due to shit geometry and design

Just get a non meme brand US or EU made axe, thin the handle down and file the edge thinner and flatter

https://youtu.be/nsSp5V3Ydy8
>>
File: Eastwing.jpg (2.09 MB, 2000x3000)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
>>2446923
Who makes the best axes and why is it Eastwing. Don't have to worry about stubby midget axes.
>>
>here's how I turn a $7 hardware store axe into a beautiful carving axe!
>workshop with thousands of dollars worth of equipment
>shows all the process whatever
>axe looks super neat in the end
>he does a onions face with it
how does someone who works a job have the time to learn how to do leatherworking, woodworking, steel working etc.
these youtubers don't work as smiths etc., they do not have a shop etc. so I assume they did something else before shilling products. What was that? How did they have the time and money to invest into all this shit as a hobby? Are they all uber rich people who don't need to work?
Then in the comments
>nice job, I did the same thing with a cheap axe similar to that one and when I used it the head broke lol
>thanks for the comment! for the uses I make of it it's okay haha remember to like and subscribe
>(title of video is "I love it more than my gransfordt")
>(same commenter) so what do you use it for?
>what do you mean you bully?! not everything is meant to be used! he got a neat axe, don't you se?
>OMG why are you such a hater
>you probably used ur axe wrong can't you see how excited he was on camera while working on this project? I'm trans btw
I hate youtubers and social media so fucking much. literally everything is fake and gay
>>
>>2454988
Estwing
>>
>>2455625
who are you talking to schitzo? meds
>>
>>2454988
Unused tools, opinion rejected
>>
>>2447093
any wooden handled axe will see failure eventually, much sooner with mistreatment or user error, fiskar handles are supposed to be much longer lasting but theyre not for everyone.
>>
>>2455741
lmao here comes the simp knight
youtube has created a fake world that is slowly taking reality's place
>>
>>2455774
because clearly you are living in reality
.thinks you need a workshop and $1000s of dollars of tools
>>
>>2455753
i can hang a wooden handle in an afternoon, maybe a day or two including sanding/treating (waiting on tung/BLO to cure) Of course I could also drive the hardware store and buy a new axe regardless of the handle type and not worry too much about the cost.

in the end axes are cheap enough that it really boils down to preference; they both last long for whatever difference in durability to be nearly irrelevant.
>>
>>2455795
>thinks you need a workshop
No you stupid cockmuncher, I do not think so, are you fucking retarded? I said the video SHOWS the guy working in a gigantic workshop with thousands of dollars worth of equipment, which made me wonder how this guy who doesn't work in this kind of trade (because he doesn't have a shop or company) managed to dedicate all this time and money to what's basically his hobby.
Do I have to explain the rest of the post too or are you just too asshurt that I offended youtubers to switch your simp brain on?
>>
>>2455818
what video are you even fucking ranting about? your text has no link of reply
learn to use 4chan and also just stop watching youtubers you dont like faggot
plenty of good based ones if you pull your head out of your ass and stop watching shit like wranglestar
>>
>>2455818
dunno anon, over the course of a lifetime it's pretty easy to accumulate a pretty good set of tools, and lots of men hand such things down to their kids as well.

now if it's a mid 20's dude with all this shit and everything is brand new, then yeah you have a point. but having a workshop and tools does not mean nearly as much as you're alluding to.
>>
Whenever I go out I unironically take my Pulaski. I know it's not for everyone but I find it incredibly useful and not too heavy of an addition for something I'll constantly be using for different things. Saves my back, my knees, and does what I want it to do. I know the Reddit meme of ounces=pounds but it's worth it to me.
>>
>>2456566
based Pulaski anon, I would never use a double-edged instrument like that but sounds nice
>>
>>2448737
cute carpet cute pic
>>
>>2457604
it looks more like a quilt than a carpet
>>
File: axe.jpg (3.07 MB, 2569x3881)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
My favorite Axe is a 60 plus year old Gränsfors Bruks I found in a barn.

It was covered in rust and paint so I sanded and resharpened it, and oiled the handle. I also customized a sheet from a different axe to fit it.

It cuts amazingly well and is quite similar to a modern Large Scandinavian forest Axe. Total weight 1150 grams. Love this thing.
>>
>>2455625
>>2455741
>>2455795
>>2455839
basically every youtuber in the 'crafts' or 'shop' space has done a video on refurbishing a $10 harbor freight axe. i know the exact videos anon is referring to i got assaulted by them in related videos once. they go the same way where they uselessly show you that if you have thousands of dollars of tools then its a quick 2 second job to reprofile the head, refinish and reshape the handle etc. this is supposed to be a review.
he's also referring to the broader subcategory of "leatherworking/steelworking/woodworking youtubers who don't seem to have ever actually worked as a leatherworker, steelworker, or woodworker before" speculating that they're bored rich people mogging us because who has the leisure time or budget to drop $200,000 on a hobby?
>>
anon expressed himself in a schizoid way but i know exactly what he's saying and i've had the exact same thought cross my mind.
>>
>>2457898
>>2457899
thank God, I am not alone then...
>>
>>2448291
me again

Bought picrel and just got back from /out/ this week using it. Unfortunately there weren't any large rounds or anything I could set logs on top of so I had to chop directly on the dirt and, of course, wound up hitting rocks and fucking up the edge

any decent videos that properly show how to file and resharpen a fucked axe edge?
>>
>>2457847
looks great anon
do you think the quality of gransfors has gone down, if you have used more recent axes?
>>
I recently bought an old walters axe at an antique store and restored it with a wire wheel and sharpened up with a stone, the blade still had a good profile so i didnt bother with a file.
I recently took it on a canoe trip and it worked great but it rained and it immediately rusted again. I also nicked a rock that i didnt see in the soil and chipped the blade. If i sand it and oil it next time will it rust slower? I used a rag and a rubberband for the sheath, anyone got tips on leather working or making one from scratch? Also, to fix the chip in my blade am i gonna need to get a file? What kind of file?
>>
>>2458052
>If i sand it and oil it next time will it rust slower?
yeah oil forms a patina that protects the blade
if you're really concerned about rust use camelia oil
>>
>>2458052
>Also, to fix the chip in my blade am i gonna need to get a file? What kind of file?
get a fallkniven double stone with the white diamond side. I'm not sure if the flippy one is comfortable with axes but I'd get that one. I use just the stone. the black side is coarse and you can take chips off with it if they're not too big. the white side is for a finer sharpening
>>
>>2458052

For chips you'll want a bastard mill file. An angle grinder also works, but is overkill. You *can* use sharpening stones, but they will take forever and you'll wear them out with how much metal you need to take off an ax to get out a nick or a gouge.

When taking out a chip, you want to work the entire edge of the ax evenly, otherwise you'll round out the toes.
>>
>>2458071
>>2458052
The fallkniven dc4 has a yellow diamond side and a black sapphire ceramic side. Diamond side first because it's coarsest, then ceramic. The cc4 has the same black sapphire ceramic side and a white super fine ceramic side for finishing. However for removing dings you might consider getting a Lansky puck or something similar to take the edge back. It can take a while.
>>
>>2458046

Read 'An Ax to Grind' the US Forest Service guide to axes. Should be available for download on the USFS website.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1662925267228.jpg (140 KB, 1080x1080)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>2446923
Just gave some TLC to my favorite forged belt axe.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1662925270534.jpg (138 KB, 1080x1080)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>2459456
And remounted on the handle. 19 years of loyal service, with many more to follow.
>>
>>2459458
that's a really small axe head. some kind of shepher's axe? how long is the handle?
>>
>>2448291
doesn't really matter. you can keep it sharp and shave with it for fun, you just need the right angle for optimal splitting
>>
>>2459839
that appears to be a tomahawk
>>
bought an axe...
i dont even go outside...
>>
>>2461249
hope it's a nice axe at least
>>2461182
>that appears to be a tomahawk
sounds right
I really like small axes for some reason. I've been eyeing the Roselli short axe for a while
>>
File: 20876148.jpg (13 KB, 289x289)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>2446923
Fuck your axe thread
>>
>>2459839
>>2461288
It's a belt axe, or tomahawk, as mentioned by >>2461182. About an 8 inch long head, with a 3-inch face, on an 18ish inch long handle. Iron with a steel blade, and was honestly a cheap suttler find at a rendezvous market, made in India. It's been a daily work piece for me with no issue.
>>
>>2461511
knegg ;)
>>
File: IMG_0202.jpg (2.13 MB, 3024x4032)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
>>2446923
my Finnish collared axe I got for a really good deal, I had to put a new handle on it though, and im planing on doing some leather work for it too, just to spice it up
>>
>>2446962
How do you guys have such dainty hands/wrists?
>>
>>2463402
how are these axes? the head shape makes them look somewhat uncomfortable
>>
>>2463554
you'd actually be very surprised, these axes are some of the most ergonomic ive used
>>
>>2463088
?
>>
>>2463466
Fucking retard
>>
anyone here who owns a roselli axe? seems perfect for camp/bushcraft but I don't know how it performs in practice
>>
Can anyone rec a good axe for someone who just needs it for basic camping trips?
>>
>>2465648
counciltool.com if you're burger. they're the last of the great american axe makers. just get their camp axe.
>>
>>2451495
You're really fucking dumb, you're just spewing by you heard. There is no such thing as solid leather. How do you think leather is made? Its steel wrapped in leather and you're just desperately making yourself believe that axe is any good because you think it looks cool and don't have any experience with what actually good axes are like.
>>
>>2447158
i have a granfors hatchet and have used the shit out of it and it is still razor sharp. My friend has the splitter they make and it will go through anything
>>
>>2465742
Thank you, this is good for splitting wood for fires?
>>
>>2465780
maybe get the boys axe, it's a good midweight for big and small cuts. just don't get the big one. you'll just fuck it up because you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>2465750
not him but it looks like stacked pieces of leather that are then cut to shape. I've seen this on knives also
it's similar to birch bark puukkos
>>
>>2465750
It looks like the same process as this.
https://procellsprojects.blogspot.com/2013/03/leather-stacked-knife-handle.html
Honestly you can clearly see from anon's picture of the axe that it's not "steel wrapped in leather" but a bunch of stacked pieces. I don't even like those axes but you seem like a fucking brainlet.
>>
>>2463402
I actually sent an email to varustuleka a while back to see if they'd make felling axe/boys axe heads (heads only) in 80crv2. They already have the steel supply line since they use it for all of their knives and it's a direct upgrade from 5160 which is used on premium axes already. If they can heat treat it to withstand the same beating as their knives and have a hard edge I think they have a home run on their hands. And I think those Finn's could do it.
This was their response:

"Thank you for your suggestion. That might work. I'll send it up the ladder to our design team and they'll see if it's something we want to do. It's usually a long process from the table to a finalized product and whatever they decide it may take a whole year before you can buy it off the shelves. It might be that axes might be too far out of our line up but we'll see."
>>
>>2465994
They probably have at least a few staff members on 4chan. In that case yeah I'd totally paypig for one.
>>
>>2465791
When you say big one do you mean the 24 or 28? Would the 18 inch be too small for an adult to chop wood?
>>
>>2465999
I'm no axe man and not the anon you replied to, but basically the longer the handle (assuming it's the right size, do the arm length test) the better it is, because short handle axes are exponentially more dangerous. The longer the handle the safer and better the axe. The only reason why you'd want a short handle axe is if you're at risk of getting arrested if you have a long axe strapped to your backpack, so you need something small enough to pack inside the ruck.
That's how I feel about it at least
>>
>>2465999
Get the 28", 24 feels very inferior to swing
>>
>>2466071
The 28 is overpriced on Amazon and according to their website there's nowhere near me that sells them in-store.

>>2466026
Interesting, I have fairly long arms so I should get a longer axe. I'll probably keep it in my truck and only use it for camping trips when I need to split some wood.
>>
>>2466123
>Interesting, I have fairly long arms so I should get a longer axe.
Great video on axes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCtuLlBtjRw
>>
>>2466123
I find that my favorite axe length is between 30-32 inches. The axe should be able to fit with the handle in your armpit and your hand cupping the head without much if any stretching. That being said you can use longer or shorter depending on special usage but for overall that's the go to comfy regular use size
>>
>>2466174
I'm gonna look for a 28 inch but I gotta find a different brand then the one anon rec'd.
>>
>>2465997
Followed up and they said the following.

"Looks like the suggestion of Terävä Axes was put on hold to wait for better times. I suppose we don't have the resources to execute such a product just yet. But it's in our list so maybe we'll get a Terävä Axe in the future :)"
>>
Looks like I'll pass on the Roselli axe. It has this absurdly fat profile, so fat in fact that it gets in the way of usability.
I'm very sad but I understand that the majority of these products aren't really made for real world use but for collecting or at the very best, very very light use.
I'll stick to my Fiskars.
>>
>>2466488
fuck that man. fiskars is garbage. if you got the money just order a hults bruk.
>>
>>2466989
>fiskars is garbage
why is it garbage? what I've learned so far is that fiskars axes compare favorably to others, and the only thing they miss is mah traditional wood feel
the only real complaint I've seen is with vibration but this only applies to longer handles.
>>
and personally I've never felt any vibration whatsoever using fiskars hatchets
>>
>>2466989
>just order a hults bruk
what the fuck is this? I thought by hults people meant hultafors because they're nowhere to be found in Europe
>ORIGINAL SWEDISH AXES
>only US retailers
>not on lamnia
>not on knivesandtools
lmao is this some clever marketing act
but Fiskars are shit because uhhh.... THEY JUST ARE OK????
>>
OK so Hults Bruk is the American marketing name for Hultafors. Interesting. I have no idea why shit always needs a name change for the burger market.
>>
>>2453147
I've broken two fiberglass handles for axes, one fiberglass handle on a claw hammer. it's kind of creepy when one of those tears apart, it's like your handle is made of spiderwebs and crystal.

I have never broken a wooden handle on an axe or a hammer of any kind.
>>
>>2467015
I’ve blasted a wood handle apart on a single overstrike. Full size axe.

Never had that issue with fiberglass or a smaller sized tool.
>>
Best bang for the buck: Fiskars
Premium: S.A. Wetterlin and Gransfors Bruk
Are there other premium axe and hatchet brands other than these two?
>>
>>2467015
Honestly there is so much material online showing how absurdly tough the Fiskars handles are that it's hard to justify a wooden handle on a practical standpoint.
>you can't replace the handle on a Fiskars
Yeah but that's not a problem if it's practically indestructible
So the situation is that I'm a big fan of the small Fiskars hatchet I have, but it's all I've ever used so I have no point of reference. There was this Roselli axe that at least on paper felt like it was a good idea (small-medium weight, you can choke really far up on the head for carving and other fine shit) but it turns out it was a bad idea and it just performs poorly. They made it absurdly thick because the small beard would snap otherwise. Feels a lot like a display item. Gransfors is overpriced. Hultafors... I'm not sure at this point. If I like the Fiskars so much, why should I change? At this point I'm tempted to get a Norden N10 for a wooden handled axe. Seems to combine the best of both worlds.
>>
>>2467066
city dweller detected.
>>
I love axes so much bros. I was always a knife guy but ever since I used an axe I've fallen in love. I still love knives but a nice hatchet is a joy to use.
>>
>>2467121
Just wait until you find out about saws!
>>
>>2467470
Nah machetes don't interest me but I like billhooks.
>>2467606
I work with wood as a hobby and I'm loyal to Zetsaw.
>>
>>2467610
Based and wood-pilled sawposter
>>
>>2463088
The fucks that mean?
>>
>>2446923
How are the Viking Gear axes? On Amazon I get them for 20 Euros
>>
I'm gonna do it. I'm going to get a Norden N10
>>
>>2467001
>>2467004

Hults Bruk is just Hultafors axes marketed to North America. They're exactly the same, made in the same factory just with a different brand on the handle, and maybe some paint.
>Hults Bruk Aneby = Hultafors Ekelund
>Hults Bruk Jonaker = Hultafors Agelsjon

I bought an Ekelund off Varusteleka shipped to the US, and after beating the shit out of it rehandled it with an Aneby handle. They're exactly the same, made in the same factory, just with a different brand on the handle.

Also, protip for those living in the US buying Swedish axes (HB/GB): It is almost impossible to buy replacement handles. The swedish axes have larger eyes and thicker handles than American axes.
>>
>>2468682
>It is almost impossible to buy replacement handles.
I thought it was standard practice to make one yourself when it broke?
>>
>>2468686
Sure if you have some good aged hickory, a bandsaw, and a table sander sitting around. If you don't have those things, then buying is cheaper.
>>
>>2467101
I will reiterate my question.
Is there a better brand than fiskars when it comes to quality/price ratio?
Are there better brands than Gransfors Bruk? (Since seems that S.A. Wetterling was absorbed by them).
>>
>>2469256
I think a lot of the praise for Gransfors comes from people who've had a Gransfors for 20 years, and those are probably 10/10 axes. The thing is that you're going to buy a 2022 Gransfors. Did they get worse? Are they overpriced? Can you get better? It's hard to tell because with these old companies you have this noise going on. Same with Fiskars btw, some people lament that new ones roll the edge or chip easily, while the older ones had better steel.
The Fiskars have a really great advantage that you can pretty much forget about breaking the handle. I'm new to axes and my aim isn't terrible but I assume that I'll have overstrikes quite often and I'm confident that the Fiskars won't break on me. I can see myself buying a Gransfors, enjoying swinging it a lot, then I overstrike a couple times and the handle is fucked and then I'll have to pay €40 to replace it. If this happens with the Fiskars they'll send me a new axe.
>>
>>2469256
As for brand names someone mentioned a company here >>2465742
there's also Hultafors
there's also Helko Werk in Europe
not sure how these compare to Gransfors
>>
oh there's also the German brand Bison that makes a very cool axe called Oberharzer
>>
>>2469292
>>2469293
Thank you!
>>
>>2463466
Seriously, I swung a hammer for a living for along time and while I prefer the feel of a wooden handle, it really wasn't any better or worse than a full steel handle, estwings included. I do prefer the blue rubber handle over the leather though when it comes to estwing.
>>
>>2465742
>camp axe
are these actually decent? I have been wanting to get a camp axe for awhile and don't want to spend $200 on some euro heritage piece. Was looking at these and the Snow & Nealley...I like the price on the Council though.
>>
>>2471339
guess the council tool doesn't come with a sheath anymore so the price between it and the snow and nealley is a wash.
>>
Those who own both a hatchet (~30-35cm) and a half-axe (~45-50cm, Gransfors Small Forest etc.) which one do you use more, assuming you can pack either?
>>
>>2472205
After using a 20" forest ax I will never go back to a hatchet again. It's long enough to use for two-handed work and small enough to use for anything you'd use a hatchet for. You can't get any decent power with a hatchet, but if you have enough patience and stamina you can even fell large trees with a forest ax.
>>
>>2473279
It's what I thought. The only reason I can think of would be packability.
>>
>>2446923
I ned a bushcrafting axe with a 1'-1 1/2' handle, please give me recommendations for a good sturdy boy. It just needs to be somewhat decent at splitting.
>>
>>2473544
I also baton my mora for smaller logs, but will definitely incorporate an axe for clearing and larger pieces. Can't bring both a felling and splitting axe of course
>>
>>2473544
>>2473546
Fiskars X7, or N7 if you want a wooden handle. The Norden axes are really beautiful but they're more expensive. They're also slightly better balanced IMO but it's not a big deal. If you just want something that won't break ever just get the all fiberglass series. It's cheaper too.
>>
I live IN the coast and I've picked a stainless knife over high-carbon for this reason. Is it viable to use a high-carbon axe given my location?
>>
>>2473600
Do you see people using axes where you live?
>>
>>2473611
I mind my own business. What does this have to do with my question?
>>
>>2473623
I mean... there's no better way to know than looking at what people use locally. You can also just go to the hardware store and see what they sell. If all axes they sell are stainless or coated then you can assume a high carbon blade might rust. You could also be bold and... ask the hardware store person what axe he recommends. But my hardware store is not a chain so they will actually give solid advice instead of trying to jew you with catalog nonsense.
>>
>>2473634
This is solid advice, anon. I will check some hardware stores and ask around. Thank you.
>>
>>2473707
you can also just check knives. like in my hardware store they sell Opinel Carbon knives along with the stainless ones. If none of what you see is carbon it's very likely that they don't sell it for a reason.
>>
>>2473713
Good idea. I'll do that too!
>>
are either of these hatchets decent? looking to use as a camping axe and these came up for $20 each. or should I keep looking?
>>
>>2473825
is this an online purchase? you cannot know if they're in working order from a picture. the heads might be wobbly
I might be wrong because I always bought new axes so take this with a grain of salt, but you should be ready to rehandle an axe you buy used.
>>
File: x8xknufyaev21.jpg (2.35 MB, 4032x3024)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
fark me sideways, lot of shit advise here
>>
>>2473852
care to elaborate?
>>
Thinking about buying picrel, but I want to take care of it. Someone please recommend things I need to take good care of an axe. Also looking for a whetstone to use on both it and an Opinel No. 8 -- maybe a two-sided rock? I know very little. Advice appreciated.
>>
>>2473913
Mill file. Lansky Puck. Mineral Oil. Arkansas stones (hard and soft). Sorted.
Don't dig it into the ground or chop on hard surfaces and you won't need to do much to it.
>>
>buy hatchet
>chop a few pallets to test it and help recycle all the shit in my backyard
>head is now wobbly
This tool is a joke for larpers
>>
>>2473913
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfsF_d3o83E
>>
>>2473913
are grändsförds brücks axes still produced with the same standards of quality as they used to? people who speak praise of the brand are talking about their 20 years old axes.
>>
>>2473865
Just repeated wranglestar bs
>>
>>2474107
I genuinely don't understand what this means

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.