[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 166 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

File: 1646507031751.jpg (89 KB, 657x657)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>
>>2442158
Acanthamoeba. Nasty little single-celled freshwater parasite that gave me the most unholy eye infection you could imagine. It took 9 and a half months of aggressive treatment to get rid of and I have permanent vision loss in my right eye. It's very rare but I just happened to get fucked over and I'm lucky I didnt need a corneal transplant after it was gone
>>
>>2442158

Other people.
>>
>>2442158
How does this even happen? Surely even a 10-20 mile forced march couldn't be enough to cause this.
>>
>>2442192
pussy ass baby boy infant blue blood aristocrat bitch ass nigga palm olive moisturised feet
>>
>>2442192
>>2442204
To answer your question in a way that doesn't involve brain damage. Rucking heavy with improper footwear. Probably too tight, without the right socks. If at an incline the boot will just squeeze your heel right into the back there and not let it move. Repeated squeezes with heavy weight on your back and you get that.
>>
>>2442207
i doubt the army gave him boots that were 2 - 3 sizes too small. actually, if his boots were too big the same thing could've happened. nope, i think this was a bitch ass nigga feet problem. probably never walked barefoot anywhere, never wore boots, drove places that were within walking distance his entire life. hopefully he got callouses after this and was fine and never came here and posted 50 paragraph diatribes about why trail runners are gods creation and everyone should use them even in swamps, eroded badlands, and on mount everest
>>
>>2442158
two overweight neet looking neckbeards on an extremely normie (literally a concrete path) trail talking about /out/ and /k/ like those boards were their personal friend bases
>>
>>2442257
that really does sound awful
>>
>>2442260
it was

I wish i was exaggerating, but they both looked like neckbearded versions of picrel and were walking with coyote brown, molle clad chinese packs and both wearing multicam pants and combat boots

it was a local park I guess you could call it with a concrete circular path around a big hill, my cousin was visiting me and brought his little kids so we needed something he could take their stroller on but holy fuck i couldn't believe my eyes
>>
>>2442263
can you remember what kind of combat boots they were they? i'm very opinionated about combat boots
>>
>>2442271
idk, they were ahead of us by 20 yards or so until they stopped to take a breather and we passed them

I don't know shit about combat boots but they looked pretty thin and unpadded, and just based on their neckbeards and matching pants I assumed they bought whatever was cheapest at their local milsurp store

They keep giggling like beavis and butthead with whatever they were talking about, and when we passed them on their break one definitely said something about "and kay said these pants were too hot, i feel fine" while taking a breather and water break on what is maybe a mile long concrete loop that soccer moms run without water
>>
>>2442160
/thread
>>
>>2442217
Get in line, tell them your size, they hand you boots. Nobody checks. Considering the average IQ of a grunt, how many get it wrong? I got professionally fitted when I bought my Lowas, and ended up half a size bigger than I always thought I was.
>>
>>2442158
A Mexican fully bent over spreading his cheeks and letting a long ribbin of shit out right in front of a bunch of other hikers
>>
>>2442534
I encountered something similar back in late July while down in the Georgia area of the Appalachian Trail. Saw an overweight white guy not even 15 feet off the trail taking a shit. His pale ass was facing the trail.
>>
>>2442192
I once had a new pair of Merrels start falling apart in the heel area,half way into a 7 mile hike. One of my feet didn't look much different from OP's pic by the time I was done. It was fucking miserable.
>>
>>2442828
I've only had Merrells second hand (goodwill or hand-me-downs from family) and every single pair had the sole separate after my first hike in them. I just assumed it was because they were old and dry rotted, but maybe they just suck.
>>
>>2442833
>maybe they just suck.
They do.
>>
>>2442158
I've been that bad before, it wasn't just the backs but the bottom of my feet too, shit sucked I couldn't walk right for a month.
>>
>>2442828
Murrells I believe. I used to own two pairs and they were just so shit I gave up on them.
>>
>>2442204
>>2442217
Retard alert. Plenty of people with baby feet do long hikes without rubbing off half their ankle. This is a case of totally ill-fitting boots and either (best case) a real tactical emergency or (more likely) a negligent officer. And a soldier who was unfit for service for weeks afterwards.
>>
>>2442158
was this faggot not wearing socks or something?
>>
File: 53453454212.jpg (122 KB, 985x657)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>2442158

>carry outrageously expensive but otherwise shit and heavy gear
>severely sleep deprived
>shit boots and clothing
>"SUCK IT UP WALK IT OFF"
>end up injured and crippled by uncle sam before seeing any action
>thank you for your cervix

Sometimes I really wonder what makes military in general so hopelessly retarded? Like I get it with the training and being prepared and going through tough shit and all but this is one of those things like sleep deprivation and heavy gear that could be massively improved by contracting proper brands like solomon or some boutique outdoor brands, recruit more personnel to rotate shifts by increasing salaries (I mean come the fuck on a tax payer paper military tissue costs a fortune and you can't afford to pay recruits more?) and overall use your resources properly which US especially is incapable of.

There is nothing worse than a injured, sleep deprived grunts swinging loaded guns around at each other or falling asleep limping to whatever objective they have to do.

Current US troops stand 0 chance on the ground against ruskies or chinks with the massive retardation that goes on in training and in action.
>>
>>2443191
>massively improved by contracting proper brands like solomon or some boutique outdoor brands
wtf Australian army lets us wear Garmont and Salomon, the issued ones are Redbacks which I don't if people outside Australia wear. Honestly the issued ones are ok despite people bitching but you can very easily get tax deductible gucci ones that are nice just for casual barracks wear at the very least. Amazed (or maybe not) the US army doesn't give a fuck
>>
>>2443191
>Current US troops stand 0 chance on the ground against ruskies or chinks with the massive retardation that goes on in training and in action

Imagine how much worse it can get in ruskie or chinaland. For all it's flaws you are talking about a quite professional army
>>
>>2442217
not everyone lives somewhere with boots, you're such a sperg.
>>
>>2443191
>SUCK IT UP WALK IT OFF
Heard a lot of this from americans. One story was like
>do training in cold weather or something
>not allowed to put on the cold weather gear, tough it out soldier
>eventually one guy gets frostbite
>everyone immediately has to don the heaviest cold weather gear, most of them sweating afterwards
Toughguy bullshit and lack of trust between officers and enlisted. The guy is right, russia and china are probably much worse in that regard, but most euro armies are much better. And the best of them run circles around americans in exercises.
>>
>>2443249
>And the best of them run circles around americans in exercises

And they dont have 11 carrier groups
>>
>>2442217
>ebonics
>"his feet weren't tough enough"

IQ below room temperature.
>>
>>2443254
But anon, maybe you could afford TWELVE carrier groups if you didn't have to deal with all the preventable injuries and casualties your atavistic army culture causes.
>>
>>2443263
Our whole army could man one perhaps as it sits but they would do it well
>>
>>2442158
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>2443259
pussy ass bitch nigga trooncel chudbaby reddit nigger cracker BBC BWC tbp twp ALSO his feet weren't tough enough HAHAHA
>>
Recurrent Lyme's disease because my tiny gay ass country is scared of antibiotic resistance even though 1 billion Indians eat them for breakfast
>>
>>2443202
>>2443249
Sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how much FREEDOM I have
>>
>>2442166
Holy shit dude
>>
>>2442534
Meh, I lived in Portland and saw this regularly.
>>
>>2442166
Ok, you win
>>
>>2443288
redpilled
>>
>>2442166
Only two for every million people get it. Either you're one unlucky bastard or you're lying
>>
>>2443191
They do allow your own boots and plate carrier... when not on deployment. And sleep deprivation is here and there, typically during training
>>
>>2443012
Why is everyone calling the guy a fag? He obviously finished whatever activity he was doing or at least didn't quit before half his foot fell off. That's worth something
>>
>>2442158
that shit makes me glad I hike barefoot
>>
>>2442217
You're not even black you stupid nigger
>>
File: 1608564402667.png (9 KB, 112x112)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>2442158
a black "person"
>>
>>2443254
>>2443495
Amerilarps coping harder than they clap
>>
>>2442279
what was it
>>2442158
probably mutilated lambs
>>
>>2446165
>>2446581
Racist losers are not wanted on this board.
>>
>>2446581
The blacks usually don’t hike. They do fish quite a lot, and many hunt. At least that’s how it is in the South.
>>
>>2446848
Fuck off fag.
>>
>>2446848
cracker
>>
>>2446147
if you can hike barefoot, you can hike in hard leather boots
>>
>>2446848
You couldn't be more wrong, Nigger
>>
>>2443191
Lol the eastern militaries are much worse. Russia has only recently started issuing socks for example. Before that you got foot wraps like some medieval peasant. You can go on telegram right now and find pictures of soldiers rations that expired in 2013, as well as the Russian MOD complaining that many soldiers have been exposed to botulism.

To answer the OP question, frostbite, took a year to fully regain feeling in a couple fingers.
>>
File: 20220319_232332.jpg (50 KB, 428x285)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>2443191
Here's a secret:
>It's shit quality because they have to be made in the USA
They are legally obligated to buy US products when outfitting soldiers and every apparel company in the country has outsourced their work to sweatshops in China.

I work with a guy who is the last producer of printed neoprene wet-suits for the navy. He can jack the price up to whatever the hell he want's per suit and could sew them with shit quality if he wanted too because he has no competitors. I doubt boot manufacturers would care any more then he did. They got a massive ass contract to fill and without the proper funding most producers have to cut corners to make ends meet.
>>
>>2446848
Racism is a mentally-healthy, self-defensive attitude. Stop ignoring your gut, it knows more than you do.
>>
>>2447023
Everything you said is right but don't shittalk footwraps. They have some real benefits.
>>
>>2445981
I'm fully aware of how rare of a condition it is. They had to make my eye drops from scratch and have it flown in overnight because it's so rare that they don't keep any of it stocked
>>
>>2442158
Wasps after accidentally stepping on their nest. Luckily in both cases I was with a girl who started screaming and flailing so they took the brunt of the stings.
>>
File: sweat.jpg (199 KB, 768x948)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>2447023
>foot wraps like some medieval peasant
retard tier take. the russian army stopped issuing footwraps when they started issuing "modern" boots. they were a necessity with the older kirza jackboots, more specifically the newer model, with the strap. pic related.
>>
>>2447337
I had a cheerful and meanspirited laugh to this.

Good times anon
>>
>>2447376
Eh, I'm pretty sure medieval people used footwraps as well.
That said, germany used them until WW2, east germany until the 70s (I think) and finland into the 90s, and they all found them quite serviceable. The main advantage is they dry faster than socks, so if you're in the field for a while
>>
>>2447387
*for a while it's pretty nice to have. Combinations of footwraps and socks were popular as well, you can use footwraps to draw moisture from the boot while the wool socks keep your feet dry. It also extends the life of your sock (though that's less of a concern today.)
>>
>>2442217
I have no doubt the army gave him incorrectly sized boots. They have you just stand on a sizer at reception and take about 3 seconds measuring then throw you boots in your bag as you love down the assembly line. If they're don't have your size enjoy your half-to-full size up or down difference. God help you if you open your mouth to those cunt civvie retirees.
>>
>>2443249
Honestly there's good American units out there that aren't like this, but most treat they're dudes like dirt conscripts that are barely sentient and deserve nothing but derision.
>>
>>2446848
He's right. Racist winners only on /out/
>>
>>2442166
just googled it, jesus christ dude thats heinous
>>
>>2447394
haven't served, have way too much interest in the military
why the fuck are more people not thinking like you?
>>
File: grunt of judgement.png (187 KB, 255x614)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>2443191
DOD contractors jew the fuck out of the military. Dudes who spend a lot of time in their kit like infantry, SOF, SF, etc, are typically allowed to buy their own gear outside of stuff like armor plates and helmets as long as they stick to certain brands (crye, mayflower, arcteryx, salomon, etc). SOF guys get a ton more leeway with this and are even usually issued the gucci stuff.
The main reason you see some units restricting gear to issue-only is because dumb broke-ass privates try to buy airsoft shit like 5.11 or Condor and the stitching on their LBE or plate carrier blows out on day 2 of a week long FTX and they're fucked.

>t. infantryman with a gear fetish/wants to mitigate his utter fucking misery as much as he can while in the field/deployed
>>
>>2442192
>>2442207
>>2442828
What the fuck you mean this can actually happen? Over 7 miles? I'm extremely concerned.
>>
>>2449523
I had something similar (a lot less severe though) happen after maybe 3 miles. Boots need to fit, if they don't you're in for a world of pain. So test your boots in a casual way before you do anything serious.
>>
>>2443288
Checked
>>
>>2449548
jesus christ, I did good not ordering them online
>>
Outdoor fags
>>
>>2447337
>I was with a girl who started screaming and flailing so they took the brunt of the stings.
Who are "they"?
>>
Fucking guard dogs in the middle of nowhere. Always carry a Big stick.
>>
>>2449894
He just wants you to throw it for him.
If your dog comes up to me with a stick, I WILL throw it for him until one of us is sick of it.
>>
>>2442158
Worst in the sense of OP's pic?

Nerve damage from an ill-fitting climbing harness. I lost all sense of touch on the skin of my front thighs. After a few months it was partially restored, but instead I had bouts of feeling burns or freezing (it was just the nerves flashing signals to my brain), and there was a spot which still didn't have any sense of touch. I honestly don't know how long it took to recover, a couple of years I guess - after a while you grow used to your thighs suddenly feeling on fire, and you stop caring. Then one day you realize it doesn't happen anymore. All in all it wasn't that bad, it didn't stop me from living my life.

In case you wonder how it happened, I was too skinny to fully tighten the harness around my waist, so it slid down an inch, and pressed against some tendons going from the hip bone to the groins. Those tendons, in turned, pinched a nerve going under them - the nerve sending signals from your thighs to your spine and into your brain. I wore the harness for a day, and discovered what had happened the next morning. I think it's called paresthesia meralgia or something like that.

All in all I'd rather pick that over amoebas or losing my heels.
>>
>>2443191
boomers spending a dollar to save a nickel.
>>
>>2447337
I fell down a slope and went through a wasp nest. Got stung all over and one got into my pants and stung me right on the tip of the penis. Weirdly wasn't the most painful sting.
>>
>>2445981
The disease itself is rare, however there are so many rare diseases that the chance to develop „a rare disease“ in general is quite high
>>
>>2449885
One was my girlfriend and the other was a friend
>>
>>2449924
that must have been a bad week. But at least you know you're not allergic now. One of my biggest fears is being with someone in the backcountry who gets stung and has a bad allergic reaction.
>>
File: vans.png (548 KB, 1024x1024)
548 KB
548 KB PNG
>>2449548
>>2449523

I'm also a little confused about this boots falling apart or grinding up feet talk. Maybe those /out/ists need to lose some weight? I've been using picrel for a couple years, and i'm fine.
>>
>>2443191
>>2443191
>Current US troops stand 0 chance on the ground against ruskies or chinks with the massive retardation that goes on in training and in action.
Wow you really are a whining cunt if you are stupid enough to say something like that
>>
>>2449974
>need to lose some weight
Anyone who's not yet too fat to hike isn't much heavier (probably lighter) than a normal guy with a soldiers marching loadout.
>>
>>2449974
i have had blisters in boots before, but i dont get them anymore. last walk was 25km with 20kg in pack and 8kg of shit on my waist and i did that in a pair of cheap nike runners.
>>
>>2447024
>because he has no competitors.

not virtuous citizenry and a vigilant government, but muh free market will save me!!
>>
>>2443191
They're paid to die, not to kill
Captcha: R8NAMN
>>
>>2450007
>>2443208
asshurt enlisted zogbots detected
>>
>>2451559
I'm not enlisted but if you honestly think America would fail against Russia or China you're nuts, Russia can't handle retard neighbors and China's government is busy killing their own people while frothing over an island smaller than Florida
>>
File: IMG_2881 2.jpg (182 KB, 983x1079)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
Homeless person annoying traffic in L.A.
>>
>>2451991
We can't even keep people out of an airport long enough to not get stuck in the wheelwells of aircraft. Completely routed from Afghanistan after 20 years. The only reason US is only throwing money and materials is because they know they couldn't win a modern war militarily while not getting completely trounced domestically
>>
>>2442158
black peopo trying to camp.
>>
>>2451998

Trounced by who? What you’re saying is true but but the United States is currently the smartest person at competing in the Special Olympics when it comes to military power. Still retarded, but still in first place
>>
>>2449514
Plus plate carriers are not designed for full spectrum warfare like we are trained to do. The IOTV has better coverage for shrapnel than plate carriers, and the recent generations are a lot better fitting.
>>
>>2442168
spbp
>>
>>2442166
Yet another reason why I don’t want to swim
>>
>>2442217
Lol nice b8 m8 I r8 it 8 outa 8
>>
>>2442166
Would've been fixed in a week with ivermectin.
>>
>>2442168
This hands down.
>>
>>2451998
That video was fake/staged.
>>
>>2442158
An owl dropped on my head once.
Got stalked by a tiger.
Rested under a bear (he was sitting on a tree).
Busted a leg and dragged myself across winter taiga.
>>
>>2442158
a crowd of like 15 chinese tourists multiple days away from civilization with fucking portable speakers
>>
>>2442217
>i doubt the army gave him boots that were 2 - 3 sizes too small

Why would you doubt that for a second. Do you know how stupid the Army is?

I'm slightly less of a retard than most people and I couldnt for the life of me figure out my boot size. I wear a 10 in regular shoes and had to get a size and a half lower and a wide pair to fit properly.

The military is absolutely stupid and the army even more so.
>>
>>2442158
Not service connected
>>
File: 1649786836838.png (46 KB, 300x225)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>2443191
>When you realize those commercials on TV that brag about something being "Military Grade" really just means their product was cheap and badly made
top kek
>>
>>2442166
i know a guy who got that at the beach opening his eyes under water
>>
>>2442217
They hated him because he was right.
>>
>>2447394
Lmao are you a leaf? Because you described it perfectly
>>
>>2446854
No one hikes in the deep South as far as I can tell. Too hot/humid with not much to see but trees. If I want to get deep innawoods, I'm going by river on my kayak.
>>
>>2449920
That's called Meralgia paresthetica. I have had it for years, still do. I thought it was lack of blood flow until I saw a doctor and described it. Immediately told me what it was. A lot of men get it from wearing belts too tight.
>Meralgia paresthetica (also known as lateral femoral cutaneous nerve entrapment) is a condition characterized by tingling, numbness and burning pain in your outer thigh. It's caused by compression of the nerve that provides sensation to the skin covering your thigh.

>Tight clothing, obesity or weight gain, and pregnancy are common causes of meralgia paresthetica. However, meralgia paresthetica can also be due to local trauma or a disease, such as diabetes.

>In most cases, you can relieve meralgia paresthetica with conservative measures, such as wearing looser clothing. In severe cases, treatment may include medications to relieve discomfort or, rarely, surgery.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/meralgia-paresthetica/symptoms-causes/syc-20355635
>>
>>2442158
i slipped while fishing when i hooked this rainbow trout
in one swift motion i managed to sprain my ankle, cut my palm open, hit my knee, tear my thigh high waders and broke the handle off my fly fishing reel
when i climbed to the shore i knocked my glass whiskey bottle that i had just taken 2 sips out from over and it broke and after that the rainbow finally cut the line

there i was sitting like idiot wondering what just happened but atleast my smokes were dry
patched myself up and drove home the same evening

glass bottles never again
>>
>>2447337
Once when i was in elementary school, they had all us kids outside near the school entrance waiting for parents/buses to come pick us up.
I saw a small hole in the ground with a couple yellow jackets flying around it. So i start stomping and jumping on it. After a minute a whole swarm came out of the hole and i just power walked away while a bunch of girls started screaming, was a good laugh
>>
>>2449974
do u like ska
>>
>>2442192
The army does this awesome thing where they give you a terrible boot in the wrong fucking size and refuse to fix it. My feet got destroyed, I bled through mine too, but at the toes. Lost all the skin on my 4th and 5th toes. It came off like a sock. Speaking of, you don't get appropriate socks.
And it's not just a forced march but a forced ruck and maybe in wet boots and maybe after you've done several miles a day for the past three days
>>2442217
I have size 8s that my toes eventually poked a hole through that beg to differ
>>
>>2449974
>here's a 130 lb combat load
>>
>>2447277
It's actually a side-efect of brian worms. Get that checked out.
>>
>>2452049
>redditspacers are zog loyalists
not shocked
>>
>>2453550
>brian worms

Fuck that guy
>>
File: 1608668150448.png (114 KB, 368x389)
114 KB
114 KB PNG
>>2453550
>pattern recognition is a "side-efect of brian worms" (sic!)
thank you based brain worms
>>
>>2453534
Here's 100lb of ammo
>>
>>2442158
the realization that being outdoors today is an escape and i will never have the same relationship to the outdoors that our ancestors 1000 generations ago had
>>
>>2452993
based
>>
>>2443191
>Current US troops stand 0 chance on the ground against ruskies or chinks with the massive retardation that goes on in training and in action.
You really think russians and chinks have gear provided by boutique outdoor brands, get paid well and sleep in everyday?
>>
>>2442217
>be 17 years old in recruit training
>getting screamed by drill instructor 1/2 inch from your ear blowing your eardrums out
>drill instructor purposely gets his spit all over your face
>Oh jee whiz better make sure to get boots that fit properly for the next three months
Guess what, they don't fit
>need to memorize five sentences just to ask to take a piss
>you have to scream it at the top of your lungs or they tell you to fuck off, even if you get it correct
>at least three recruits end up pissing themselves the first week either because they don't scream loud enough or they can't remember the entire wall text to address the drill instructors and end up getting IT'd and screamed at by three DI's at the same time
>haven't even had time to shit in three days
>these boots sure are kinda tight.
>I should ask for new boots so I can get IT'd until I can barely move my arms while multiple drill instructors kicks dirt in my face and scream in my ear

OPic is very believable. Fortunately I had boots that fit well, but one day I ended up with an ink stick im my boot all fucking day and no time to take it out without getting fucked up for it.
>>
>>2443191
Fun fact. The USA military pays top dollar for bottom quality and that's just the way it is.
>>2450007
He's right and you know it. Our military is full of trannies and diversity hires. Death to america
>>
>>2451991
Wrong. We couldn't even hold a bunch of goat fuckers in Afghanistan. We can't even do anything about Syria and Russia besides point finger, sputter, and step on the rake in the form of sanctions. Just look at military recruiting commercials. It's all faggot shit, niggers, my two gay dads, bribing beaners with citizenship, strong empowered women, trannies, etc.
The only thing america can do at this point is throw money at things, and even that is starting to dry out.
>>
>>2454080
Simulation and simulacrum. Same reason people drive to work, sit all day, then go for a jog to simulate physical work.
>>
>>2447394
civilian workers at 30th AG are scum of the earth
>>
>>2442168
yes this. nothing ruins /out/ like fucking people shitting up /out/
>>
>>2455243
I don’t think we ever had any problem stomping the goat fuckers, anon. Afghanistan falling to shit hilariously as soon as the US pulled out is proof enough of that.
>>
>>2455318
Afghanistan is called "the graveyard of nations" for a very good reason. Either way, how is a nation of coomers, niggers, trannies, and spics supposed to thrive militarily when things like sunfire missiles exist and and Russia/Syria have them?
>>
File: w.jpg (348 KB, 776x1380)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
>>2447337
story from Germany last week.

>a woman hiking found a trash bag on the trail.
>she got closer and opened the trash bag
>inside it was a huge wasp nest
>as she opened it the angry wasps swarmed out and she suffered so many stings she had to be hospitalized.
>>
>>2454904
>>at least three recruits end up pissing themselves the first week either because they don't scream loud enough or they can't remember the entire wall text to address the drill instructors and end up getting IT'd and screamed at by three DI's at the same time
military culture is so retarded but so are the people that "serve" so it suits them
and grunts only tolerate it because they're not actually being forcefully conscripted to face certain death
>>
>>2455686
who the fuck opens a random trashbag, even worse, a trashbag in nature.
that's retarded on so many levels
>>
>>2455243
You're either a retard or a vatnik (but I repeat myself). Afghanistan was not a military loss but a political one - an acceptance not that we couldn't keep afghanistan pacified, but that it was not worth the cost. Similar constraints apply in syria. And russia, as you know, has nukes, which makes direct confrontation impossible no matter how strong or weak either party is otherwise.
For what it's worth, I share your doubts that the US army, especially most of the infantry, could stand up to competent enemies. But russia has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt it is not competent, and china has given no clues to suggest they are (not that a war against china would be fought on the ground anyway).
>>
>>2455686
Also from germany
>Walk on a popular hiking road
>Attention, here be hornets, cross at your own risk
>Yeah well we'll just be careful
>Nothing happens
>Couple weeks later read in the news, hornets stung several people, one hospitalized
>Apparently some children beat the tree with the nest inside with sticks
The tree was well marked too, but I guess some people are just total failures as parents.
>>
I was camping in the bush and when I woke up some weird black and white banded wasp had climbed into my foreskin overnight.
>>
>>2455694
i did, found hair,bloody gloves and skin
>>
>>2443191
Basic is laughably easy
>>
>>2455714
>total failures as parents.
>germany
It's the rest of the world that is bad at parenting. Ever heard of Hansel and Gretel?
>>
>>2442166
What country?
>>
>>2442158
saw a guatemalan shitting in an old dilapidated factory
>>
>>2457788
I got it in Idaho
>>
>>2442192
shoes that don't fit right
this literally happened to me a year ago on a 3-4 mile walk and I had to get someone to come pick me up because my feet were in so much pain
when I got home i had a bubble on the the back of my heel the size of a fucking apple and I had to drain pus out of it with a thumbtack for a month
>>
>>2442158
I was dragging a 100' seine for sampling fish in a bay with a co-worker and between us and the shore we wound up somehow cornering a bull shark and I almost shit my pants
>>
>>2442207
I can believe it. I had a coworker whose knee gave out suddenly and catastrophically on a long march in the military. Nobody believed something like that could even happen but it's true. The whole leg got so fucked up, it took years of healing and nerve transplants and who-knows-what else for him to regain feeling and movement in that leg and be able to walk somewhat well again.
>>
>>2447387
can you redpill me on footwraps?
youve convinced me to switch.
>>
>>2458685
Wrap correctly or it will suck
There are different styles, russian style is more secure but only really works with jackboots (or wellies I guess), german style works with ankle boots
Different materials were used historically, cotton flannel, wool flannel, wool/cotton blend, possibly linen
Footwraps can be combined with socks, with socks inside or outside. Historically inside, but that's probably to protect the fragile wool socks from rough leather
There's a reason neither thru hikers nor soldiers have adopted them much, for SHTF the higher durability would be a real boon.
>>
>>2442217
Zero drop trail runners are the best though, way better than combat boots in every situation except being gay. Combat boots definitely carry the category on homosexuality.
>>
>>2455433
Idk man, they might have sunfire missiles but it doesn’t matter that much when we have FA-22s and pilots that actually know how to use them to establish air superiority, our own missiles that can actually hit targets accurately without requiring huge barrages, superior tanks and the maintenance and logistical capacity to keep them running, and a whole swathe of other advantages.
>>
>>2442166
Fpbp, total vision loss or just partial?
>>
>>2459720
Partial. My prescription in my right eye jumped from a -1.75 to a -5.25 because of all the ulceric damage to my cornea during the infection. Also means I can no longer wear soft contact lenses or ever get Lasik, and I'm virtually guaranteed to get glaucoma and cataracts in the future, partly due to the harsh chemical treatment
>>
>>2455692
something something hard training creates tough men. Little do they understand the rigors of proper training and teaching of skills. Its all sub-90IQ retards treating people like shit cause that's how they taught them, so the cycle continues. It pains me that I had to pick up these broken pieces and actually mold them once they left training to prepare them correctly for basic military maneuvers.
>>
>>2452976
based and canoepilled
>>
File: 1661352232195.jpg (81 KB, 750x718)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>2442217
>and posted 50 paragraph diatribes about why trail runners are gods creation and everyone should use them even in swamps, eroded badlands, and on mount everest
lets be real most bootfag anons are using them to walk around the park next to the shopping mall, have broccoli hair cuts, and violate global rule 2 every time they post.
>>
>>2447394
i did the same thing at boot camp for usmc- after i put my boots on, i pulled them off, walked up to the 3rd phase recruit and asked him for a half size down in front of a DI, no one yelled at me or gave me shit. was one of the only people in my platoon who never had foot issues
>>
>>2446848
never relax close by black ppl
>>
>>2453533
Nigga just buy new boots, that’s what your clothing allowance is for
>>
I'm mad at this thread because a lot of posters here have clearly never been in the army and even though the army is indeed retarded as shit it's retarded in slightly different ways than these posters are saying but I'm too lazy and jaded to try to explain so I'm just going to sit here and SEETHE
>>
>>2442158
Humidity.
>>
>>2451998
It was a war that was never meant to be won in the first place, though.
>>
>>2442158
A bald person
>>
>>2452271
Lol. Where are you from?
>>
>>2462923
Now I'm mad at you because apparently you have interesting stories to tell and you won't because you're a lazy faggot.
>>
>>2442158
Lack of Water.
We went on hike and didn't know how long it would take to get on the other side of the mountain, rocky one, so no water for half a day in a sunny day and hard trail. Very dangerous.
>>
>>2443191
if it's so damn expensive why is it so low quality? where the fuck is all the money going?
>>
>>2442192
I work as a waiter and believe me shit happens, yesterday I did 11 hours straight on the floor.
Laugh if you want but get out a calculator and you'll quickly get the issue.
You do 50 hours a week in 10$ shoes and you can suffer foot injuries.

People with money for proper shoes don't know the absolute misery of having to do serious shit without them.
Last Wednesday my shoes fell apart mid service and I was captain duct tape for the whole day.

I've seen injuries on school camps when parents go out and buy new shoes without any idea of what they are buying.

I've had hiking shoes fall apart in the snow, in the jungle, I've had to use plastic bottles as camp shoes while my army boots dried out.
>>
>>2464324
You get this issue when logistics issues things on a numerical basis that aren't strictly identical.
I don't know about the US but often you'll have magazines which constantly jam or only fit some guns but not others, if you get a mag that feeds reliably into your gun you guard it carefully, conceal it from other soldiers and carry it for years.
You've got that base camp stove issue where one guy is in such desperate need he'll rob someone else.

Then you've got the issuance issue where logistics doesn't fully appreciate how things like boots and mags can't be issued numerically.
They send ten pairs of boots for ten men, and if there's a spare it's unlikely to fit the guy who breaks his first pair.
Stealing boots off dead people is a military tradition, I've never seen boots left at a grave. Maybe a helmet, maybe alcohol or sentimental offerings- never boots.

Another issue is the political difficult in issuing good boots to forward infantry but lesser quality boots to rear eshelon or fucking office staff.
Typically everyone has to get the same, those physically closest to supply get the good shit and high ranking officers in the rear will pilfer shit going to forward elements.
Not even the US army could get good boots to the front, many armies couldn't get a single pair of good boots to the front.
Often you have to rotate a unit simply because how confounding it is to get them equipment in the supply train.
>>
>>2442158
Chiggers
>>
>>2462932
convenient
>>
>>2464317
Since this thread has army theme too.. I remember one time going on about 1L a day during a training ex for a couple weeks. That's for cooking and drinking. It was fairly hot maybe 30-35c and patrolling all day, assaulting positions etc. And occasionally since we were trainees being punished for fuck ups by doing shit like running up hill holding packs above head. Dripping sweat off the chin much of the day. One guy got delirious and ran charging at a rock with his rifle during a patrol. I almost passed out a couple times. Lack of water sucks ass. They had forbidden us from drinking from any streams etc around but guys started sneaking off in the night to drink or trying to quickly scoop a bit as they walked through one without being seen. One dude ran a couple kilometers with all his sections water bottles and filled em up from a small lake at night. Sounds retarded and it was a bit but definitely taught water rationing and mental toughness, I suppose.
>>
>>2442158
I had a either a bobcat or coyote stalking me in the woods. I was following it with a flashlight as it was following me, all I could see was its eyes, it was obvious he was interested in me. I was under prepared for a fight with a hungry animal. I had an otf boker knife on me, which I guess is better than nothing, but I wasn't mentally prepared for it. If you've ever been around a wild housecat that was ready to attack if you came to close, you know even with how small they are that you don't want to fuck with them. In the case it was a hungry lone coyote, even worse. I'm obviously fucking retarded for hiking in the Ozarks mountains at night, especially with there being badgers, black bears, mountain lions, coyotes, copperheads and such. I carry a sub compact Glock, bear spray and a ka-bar now. A 9mm wouldn't put down a grizzly, but it should do fine with a black bear, assuming I'm accurate. it'll definitely put down a coyote or mtn lion. Besides that, just a general feeling of dread in some parts of the forest at night, if you couldn't tell by now, I get off on being in places I shouldn't at times I shouldn't. I go deeper in the woods over time, and I'll likely fuck up one of these days.
>>
>>2462902
Why should a service member have to waste money fixing a problem that's easily rectified by the assholes that give out those boots
>>
File: M0DAD.png (12 KB, 299x139)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>2466320
You shouldn't, but if you don't you're going to keep wearing shit boots
>>
>>2442217
>i doubt the army gave him boots that were 2 - 3 sizes too small.
Confirmed for never having been in the army. The clothing depots nickname was planet of the apes
>>
>>2466326
You're not wrong that soldiers shouldn't just "deal with it" but this shit just makes the government & serving look so fucked
>>
>>2442207
you have to be brain damaged to join the army why would anybody ever want this
>>
>>2443191
i dont think this is unique to the us army, in fact i would expect russia and china to be even more retarded
>>
>>2447304
like what?
genuinly curious
>>
>>2452575
cool im never doing that again
>>
>>2457112
snug :)
>>
>>2457134
why would somone just leave murder evidence in a trashbag?
why not burn and bury it?
>>
>>2459730
thank god it was only one eye that sounds horrible
>>
>>2467211
>>2458689
Durability and quick drying mostly. They also absorb more moisture, being made of cotton (at least partly) and because they're more material in total (the fabric is more dense than normal knit socks). With the russian method they can even be rewrapped with the wet part up the leg so it dries while you're still wearing it. Basically, when you're wearing traditional leather boots (or perhaps even wellies) you can keep them dry by switching footwraps considerably easier than by switching wool socks.
Disadvantages are they take time to wrap and destroy your feet if you fuck it up. Even if wrapped perfectly, they're harder on your feet than wool socks. So if you don't have a problem with wet feet, for whatever reason, modern socks are better. You might try combining socks with footwraps to get the best of both worlds - this is something that was sometimes done historically. Probably works even better now because you can get very thin and still durable wool/poly blend socks.
>>
>>2443339
Getting Lyme disease has nothing to do with antibiotics resistance only if you didn't go see a doctor when you first got bit and had the classic signs. That would be your own fault
>>
>>2449523
It won't catch you by surprise. If your feet are feeling hot or itchy, remedy the situation, don't just power through it or you'll regret it later. Maybe an additional pair of socks so they rub on each other instead of on your feet.
>>
>>2442257
>>2442263
Lmao based, probably own hundreds of dollars of gear and post 24/7 about surviving in the wilderness but the only outdoor shit they do is walking for 20 minutes around a park. Absolutely based autism.
>>
>>2442263
>>2468068
I would be friends with the guys. Non-ironically. I'd take them out to a comfortable distance in the woods and see how it went. I'd bring somebody I knew though, just in case. IRL, 2v1 is not a good place to be.
>>
>>2442158
Got stung by a scorpion in Utah far from any help. I just rode it out but fairly certain it was a young bark.
>>
>>2467242
I think he means they won't prescribe him antibiotics because they're worried about overprescribing them and creating antibiotic-resistant superbugs. Which is a legitimate concern but like, come on, niggas got Lyme disease.
>>
>>2467195
It used to be good money and free college. Retiring at 40 is pretty ideal too, at least that's still possible.
>>
>>2442263
>>2442257
Honestly I would give anything to have a friend I can completely sperg out with about my hobbies. This is normalfag land, if you say "camping" people think of parking lot for vans in a resort. If you said you'd rather use a tent outside of camping areas they'd probably think you're retarded.
So I'm sort of jealous of the two tactical autists.
>>
>>2442158
got trench foot from my feet being too wet for too long while hiking in the mountains. got sunpoisoning when swimming near the white sand beaches in the gulf. Met a giant jelly fish like 10 feet wide out in the pacific that i some how fished up while kayaking for bottom fish. Accidently walked through a field of stinging nettles, got covered by venomous mountain caterpillers and discovered a grave with my own name on it in the middle of the woods dated to the 1800s. Started freaking out and began to make contengincy plans for any possible time travel isekai mishap while /out/. But the absolute worst thing I ever encountered was a couple of normies having sex on a cliff. It was a one way path and passing by them was akward as fuck.
>>
>>2468130
based
i hiked 12 miles one way in the olympic peninsula and drank all my water like 3 miles in and was fucked and i swear to god a mermaid gave me water when i made it to some random island.
i was severely dehydrated by that point so i’m pretty sure it was just a rock or a beaver that i thought was a sexy mermaid and i. just drank out of the river straight up.
but either way. i walked over 25 miles that day and it was fucking crazy.
my feet hurt so bad and i was in looney tune land but it was still sick as fuck
the PNW is the god land
>>
>>2468101
You'll retire your knees by then that's for sure

>come on gents lets put a 100lb of shit on us and run a marathon
>>
>>2443208
Yeah US is still a better put together army due just to pure money and residual effects of good foundations, but that's getting washed away. I don't necessarily believe the ruskies or ccp are improving, ccp is close to collapse itself but the US army will become just as shit as they are now by 2050s.
>>
>>2466326
>Join an organization that is going to put you into a death spiral of dehydration just to test you

>one that will put you into close combat with other men and have you cut their guts out from their body and stab them until nothing moves anymore

>I don't like the shoes though
>>
>>2442158
I saw a black guy once
>>
Black people don't go in the woods. Their jungle scent attracts big predators.
>>
>>2442166
Lmao what kind of weak faggot immune system do you have that keys you get infected by a little gay amoeba lmao
>>
>>2454904
This is complete bullshit, they got sued over shit like that and it absolutely does not happen in basic training any more.
>>
>>2455243
>Twice the population of Russia before including NATO
>Better equipped, better trained, larger military
>More experience with recent warfare
>Somehow going to lose to the country that can't even successfully invade a much smaller country
So you're retarded, huh?
>>
>>2468593
Shit b8, you can do better
>>
>>2450775
Imagine thinking we live in a free market
>>
>>2468140
>You'll retire your knees by then that's for sure
>come on gents lets put a 100lb of shit on us and run a marathon
Can confirm literally this.
>>
>>2462594
>asked him for a half size down in front of a DI, no one yelled at me or gave me shit. was one of the only people in my platoon who never had foot issues

So you were 'that' guy...
>>
File: 1664011783509289.jpg (37 KB, 720x770)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>2442158
Am i the only one that wants eat that shit? I always eat my callouses.
>>
>>2468728
We used to do one run about a half marathon to a range then shooting comp then run back again. Well more of a shuffle than a run. Prick of a thing when your knee or foot is fucking out but you're running a race and an NCO and your mates are telling you to hurry the fuck up. Don't want to be the slowest dude that's for sure. I seen one time a dude hobbling in like a cripple and his NCO pinched his pack off him and charged the last couple hundred meters carrying two and waited there giving him uh.. encouragement. Poor bugger probably weighed 130lbs before he picked up his gear
>>
>>2469362
Yep. Been there too. Both as the private, and later as the NCO. No wonder I needed knee surgery. One of the big filters
at NCO school was literally 50 clicks (30ish miles?) with 50 kilo (110ish lb.?) packs and kit, no breaks aside from pissing, no food and freezing temps. I'm not exactly sure, but I think I came in at around 12-13 hours and then immediately collapsed kek.
>>
>>2468831
Not him but idk gramps this isnt your papi's core or even your daddy's.

Water consumption and fett and the biggest things pushed after all them poor kids who would drop dead annually due to heat exhaustion. And all the tricare medical bills pilled up from shitty conditions they realized we can do a bit better. You should see the egg heads going over shoe, boots, and the most optimal stretches and excercises.
>>
>>2469372
Check out these fuckers trying to march after selection. Some dudes will just go and go until their heart stops

https://youtu.be/DlIz3AOJdYg?t=2563
>>
>>2469393
SOF guys are machines (except the few that are somehow massive faggots). I worked a bit with some Scandi SOF in my time. They are really intense personalities kek.
>>
>>2446848
so this is where glowniggers moved on after they butchered /k/.
>>
Life must suck for all you boot niggers, I go on a week trip barefoot the whole time and am just fine, besides maybe a few nicks
>>
>>2469672
You are really a high class tough and combative kind of barefoot hippie. Maybe you can carry the radio
>>
>>2469672
boot niggers and barefoot hikers are similar, in that they both have a high tolerance for pain
>>
>>2442192
Bruh, I went to a 60 km hike (more like a march) in winter and I only had two small blisters. No idea how someone could fuck it up that badly
>>
>>2447394
After I got out of the service I ended up working at a trucking company along side a former supply clerk who issued me my boots & jammies. The contempt that man had for infantry troops was staggering. I know full well that that cunt issued me the wrong sized boots on purpose the arrogant cunt
>>
>>2447434
Based
>>
>>2452976
Lots of hikefags around Birmingham. At least people that pretend to hike.
>>
>>2442192
running with a heavy backpack in shitty wet shoes on uneven ground.
try that for 10km
>>
>>2442160
based
>>
File: caterpillar holton.jpg (31 KB, 597x502)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>2446941
For quite a few years I worked with a pair of hard leather caterpillars on construction sites, when I'm at home I'm almost always barefoot, never really had a problem with them except when it's winter moisture enters the shoes but not too annoying. I wanted to move to a more upscale brand after, but now I work almost exclusively in offices, so I didn't buy it.
Do I have great feet and what do you think about it? I have often seen people complaining about the hard leather pairs.
Otherwise I had the choice between the pair in cheap leather provided by the company or a pair provided by the factory in plastic/leather.
>>
>>2454904
>getting screamed by drill instructor 1/2 inch from your ear blowing your eardrums out
>drill instructor purposely gets his spit all over your face
seems to be a phenomenon in multi-cultural armies. Not the Prussian style, and not like it is in Germany.
>>
>>2472338
The army of the islander Teutonics didn't do retarded shit like that either, and we beat the multiculti burgers nine times out of ten in wargames and exercises. Germanic organization and leadership style, Germanic IFVs and tanks, Germanic troops.
>inb4 6 gorillion aircraft carrier groups
I obviously mean in battlegroup sized force on force exercises, not a hypothetical full on war.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.