[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 60 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: download (7).jpg (10 KB, 275x183)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
No hunting thread? Let's fix that. Is there usually a general? Haven't been here in a dogs age

Spent my childhood and early teens hunting small game and waterfowl. After a long hiatus, I'm now approaching 30, have a wife and 3 children, and I feel myself getting the itch to hunt again, for myself and my oldest is getting to the age where she should be involved.

Jumping in head first and plan to bag my first ever white tail this autumn. I've got 50 acres of my own land and a rifle in .270. Been watching deer all spring and summer, lots of does and a couple bucks have made appearances.

Any tips and tricks for a newbie deer hunter?

Post anything hunting
>>
>>2431371
Reddit is that way man
>>
>>2431371
>murder
I prefer to think of it as harvesting
>>
>>2431517
I dont "enjoy" killing shit, but I sleep better at night knowing I'm not supporting the factory farm industry and everything I harvest lived a better life than anything in a grocery store. Plus it taste better. People are too disconnected from what they eat.

My bird dog Tucker on the right.
>>
>>2431366
I only shoot small critters. Pheasant, quail, rabbits etc. I find the challenge more interesting. Easier to clean too. I kind of enjoy just watching the big game. Something nice about seeing a herd of elk enjoying the woods.
>>
>>2431522
I definitely enjoy every aspect of the hunt, from elk to prairie dogs. And killing is apart of that. This year I have 4 tags in my pocket. Archery ether sex elk, rifle mule deer buck and doe, and a rifle pronghorn doe.

By the way, good looking dog.
>>
>>2431537
I love watching big game too. I also love killing and eating them. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive.

Pic, bull moose at 18 yards.
>>
>>2431562
Sure, that's your prerogative. Me, I just kinda like watching them. It's calming seeing a big old animal just living its life. Like a force of nature in action. I've hunted mulies, whitetail and hog before here in Texas. But nowadays I'm just kinda content to let them be.
Although, I will say, by God all the corn they eat up and Kansas they have the absolute biggest deer I've ever seen. I swear some were damn near elk sized.
>>
>>2431517
>>2431522
Based this is now a bird dog thread. This is Hank. There’s another anon with a lab named Hank that posts here.
>>2431366
>No hunting general?
I started /hrt/ originally but it’s the off-season for most things so even the discord is basically just fazan killing mice and some anons catching bass
>>
>>2431850
Forgot picrel
>>
>off-season for most things.

Its funny, but you get tired of the doldrums of the off-season. I go in at the start and you’ve got your main targets and then all of a sudden you’re re-evaluating and going back and forth and you’ve got to fill holes. That’s just part of what you get to do. For me I think its a blessing in disguise, because you’re focused on one day at a time, so I’m not worrying about what’s the next two fags or what’s going to be the next show I’m doing and now I can focus on doing what I can do on this show. And I get to do it with Steve, who I’ve known for a long time, and John Pinette and Al Snow, who are pretty much cunts and assholes to everyone else. If I can get to do that on TV I’ll be happy, I’m not going to complain.”

Also in the interview Chael discussed what he believes separates the top guys from the rest of
>>
File: Snapchat-1075383773.jpg (120 KB, 588x1216)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>2431366
Got this rabbit two nights ago and made dinner for my family.
>inb4 its not rabbit season
I have a depredation permit including rabbit
>inb4 its illegal to eat it then
I'm not gonna waste the life of this beautiful animal because desk jockeys say so

As for tricks-
Don't clang sheds together from your stand. Tie them to a rope and do it at ground level. Scrape the ground and throw leaves around with them too. Thank me later.
>>
File: IMG_20220801_215201.jpg (664 KB, 2283x2034)
664 KB
664 KB JPG
>>2431957
As for the rabbit, clean shot right behind the eyes. No sound or struggle. Died way easier than getting torn apart by a yote.
>>
>>2431958
Nice shot buddy. Clean kill

I'm just starting out on my first recurve bow. Getting pretty consistent grouping at 15 yards. Plan is to be co rodent enough to try to take a deer with it for 2023 season
>>
>>2432013
I used to be good at instinctive aiming but my grouping would always devolve as time went on. I have to aim down the shaft to be able to hit anything now. Good luck during deer season. Are you gonna be in a stand or grounded?
>>
>>2431958
Honestly. I didn't know bow hunting rabbits was a thing. Lol. Nice shot though.
>>
>>2432090
As for compound bows it's really not a thing. Plenty of people use recurve and self-bows to hunt them traditionally. I hope to get to this point sooner or later but I mainly hunt to eat (much better than whatever the fluoride minds consoom) so I take whatever advantages I can get. I'm nogunz until I inherit my great grandfather's rifle. Really appreciate it kek.
>>
>>2431958
Nice shot
>>
>>2431366
>hunting with a firearm
cringe
>hunting with bow and arrow
based
>hunting with weapons crafted by yourself using primitive techniques
gigabased
>>
>>2432272
That's nice dear. Post your last hunt.
>>
>>2431850 https://discord.gg/D2TFbmmj
>>
>>2431366
going on a solo archery otc elk hunt next month. second season for me as an adult learner. planning for 10-14 days. should be pretty intense. if things go well I might do a 3-5 day mule deer hunt somewhere.
>>
>>2432272
>putting a deer in a sleeper hold barehanded
quantumchadbased
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUiPmHA7Xqg
>>
>>2431957
Illegal to eat rarbit wtf?
>>
>>2432346
I'm sure he means it's not currently rabbit season where hes from.
>>
>>2432292
Brother, limit yourself to how far you go from your truck. An elk is 4 trips to pack it out.

Also the jannies on this board are cock suckers.
>>
>>2432272
Post your kills.
>>
>>2432454
Why did you shop the gun in? Weird
>>
>>2432292
>solo archery elk hunt
>your second ever season
That is horrible idea, but we support you. Elk hunting is particularly grueling, particularly during archery season when they're up higher. Know your limits, bring more water than you think you'll need and if possible bring a game sled.
>>
>>2432556
yeah I "bow hiked" over 100 miles last season. called in 2 bulls within 50 yards but was a noob and almost pissed myself when they came in. I think solo archery hunting is more mentally grueling than physical.
>>
>>2432454
After getting back to the house with my father in law. Was cold as fuck. 7° in the morning with a 10mph steady wind just north of Ness city last season. LoL, he got more than me. I didn't get a quail, but 4 of the pheasants are mine.
>>
>>2432346
You can't eat anything you kill on depredation permits. It's because feds don't want people purposely hunting out of season with the excuse of protecting their crops. Still fucked not to eat it though I would've done the same.
>>
>>2431556
Why take a picture of the dead animal? Is anything sacred to you?
>>
Hunters, in general, seem to be low-IQ. They engage in the most ancient of arts, something so spiritually emboldening, and dilute it with Oakley's, cheap beer in the deer stand, "grip-'n'-grins", and spice mixes. It feels commodified and zapped of all its aesthetic virtue, and is hardly more dignified than eating a factory-farmed animal.
>>
>>2432571
At least you didn't call in a bull by fucking around with a cow call while eating a sandwich. We surprised the shit out of each other.
>>
>>2432642
>>2432471
>>2432649
To make faggots like you seethe. What’s it like paying another man to kill your food? Does it feel good knowing you’re to weak to bloody you hands?

>>2432705
At least you got a good story and a lesson learned from that event.

>>2432292
Have you practiced the gutless method of quartering? I can have a deer sized animal broke down and in my pack in under 60 minutes and I’m worried about the challenge of solo elk hunting. I have an ether sex archery tag.
>>
>>2431853
Nice, cant wait to do some bird hunting in the fall. One day i will get my own dog, i think i want pic related
>>
>>2433283
Or one of these. Id like to do more duck hunting, but also ive always had labs and i think id like to have a pointer at some point. Maybe ill just have to get both eventually
>>
>>2433124
>What's it like paying another man to kill your food?
Pretty unsatisfying, honestly. I wouldn't mind learning how to hunt bigger game, but I'd have to learn all on my own. It's probably for the best, anyway, because I doubt I'd be able to focus with my teacher being some debased drunk Under Armor douche like >>2432585 - what can ya do...
>>
>>2431958
You like that lighted nock? I want some but they're really not that cheap lol

What kinda head did you use btw?
>>
File: 20220805_121023.jpg (2.84 MB, 1814x2419)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
>>2431853
He's looking good man. Been too hot for my black boy lately. Can't belive dove loads are like 9 bucks a box now. I remember when you could get those 100 round value packs for like 17 dollars.
>>
>>2433289
Hah. Obviously you don't hunt then. Drinking is an important part of hunting and fishing as much as the skinning and the gutting. Especially when it's single digit temperatures outside. Instead of being a salty bitch about the people who actually go out, maybe go learn from them so you can figure out how to be less gay.
>>
>>2433491
I'm not going to take lessons on how to be "less gay" from some gut with Ray-Bans that can't get through a day in nature without quaffing a six-pack of Bud Light.
>>
>>2433390
Modified Field Tips. Bludgeons fly around way too much and field tips go clear through, not a lot of mess and always very quick if you're a good shot.
>>
>>2433589
>>2433390
Oh also lighted nocks are pretty great but theres a couple downsides. I don't know of a way to replace the batteries and the biggest factor is the way you turn it off. The switch is the smallest hole in the world and most nocks come with an ultra mini screwdriver to turn it off. If you lose the screwdriver there's not much you can do to turn it off. Will say overall, only lost two arrows after buying and using these for several months and I shoot every weekend. Use with a click light for ultimate advantage.
>>
>>2433283
Based rare breed appreciator. Go with the Munsterlander over the Toller. Tollers are notoriously hard headed and hard mouthed because the show breeders have taken over the breed. It’s just hard as fuck to beat a lab or a GSP. But if you can get two dogs…a pointer and a retriever make one hell of a combo. But a versatile breed like a Munsterlander is a good choice if you can only have one.
>>
>>2433637
Thanks for the advice. I live in new england but i think i want to move to the Montana/Idaho/Wyoming area so i think the pointer would be the better choice too. Ive never had a pointer though so that would be new to me
>>
>>2433664
It’s more work because you need to whoa break them and get them on birds which is harder to simulate than throwing a bumper or sock but if you’re in an area that’s got birds (and last year which was Hanks first season was about as bad as I’ve ever seen) it just takes practice and a good recall trained into them and they’ll pretty much do the rest. Absolute joy to watch the fuckers run though. My dogs a pleasure in the house and wheels to spare but takes a little more time than a retriever to break in. German breeds are typically smarter than shit but if you like the Munsterlander you should also look into a setter. I’m a total nerd about the genetics so throw up a post or join the discord if you’re looking for a good one. I love this shit.
>>
>>2431366
Got prairie dog hunters coming in next week and haven't had any in a bit. Business uptick from covid has went away unfortunately.
>>
File: wtf.gif (2.58 MB, 400x225)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB GIF
>>2433707
>prairie dog hunters
You mean a couple of guys that just want to shoot prairie dogs, I hope? You don't hunt prairie dogs.
>>
>>2433529
Of course not. And you'll never learn a damn thing. Let's see your last hunt nature boy.
>>
>>2433998
>you don’t hunt prairie dogs

Wrong, there are methods to coax a skittish dog out of his hole.
>>
>>2433677
What discord?
>>
>>2432287
>>2434213
That one. Fazan also deserves an apology because I didn’t check it before that comment and apparently he recently took down a fucking bison which means he has the largest kill on this board until proven otherwise
>>
>>2433998
pretty obviously. Calling them anything else sounds stupid and coasts like how "hunter" sounds. Welcome to marketing ig.
>>
>>2434249
*coasties
>>
>>2434229
?
>>
>>2431366
I’ve been watching a bunch of bullfrog gigging videos, I’m about to go buy a gig and a headlamp tomorrow. Pic unrel.
>>
>>2431958
>bow rabbit
fuckin nice. i plan on shooting rabbits and spruce chickens this fall

t. alaska
>>
>>2434249
It's just a weird statement, but I hope they kill a lot of fucking vermin for you.
>>
>>2434873
Works out great for me, otherwise I gotta pay for poison.
>>
File: deer.jpg (627 KB, 1064x1320)
627 KB
627 KB JPG
>>2432642
>>
>>2431366
>tips for a newbie deer hunter
>go into the woods and look for a tree near deer poop, put up a stand, and sit in it
>when a deer walks by, shoot it
>>
File: 9ee.png (160 KB, 680x571)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>archery coming up in less than a month
>tore labrum and rotator cuff
I'm ngmi this year bros
>>
Every hunter I've ever met was a fucking degenerate.
>>
File: buck chug.webm (2.71 MB, 400x710)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB WEBM
>>2435413
forgot vid

alcholism? check
bestiality? check
sleeveless shirt? check
it's hunting time!
>>
>>2435413
>>2435414
yeah because hes a human lol, men want to kill and fuck and eat bro sorry youre a faggot
>>
>>2435409
that sucks
>>
>>2435440
I guarantee you look just like the guy in that video.
>>
>>2433289
I take new people hunting every year. I’m in the TRS Pool Parties. And this season will be the second yearly buck breaking party. We will have one new guy to hunting out with us this year. It’s just as rewarding for me to help another guy fill his tag, as it is for me to fill mine. Your state will likely have a hunting mentoring program. Look into that. Big game hunting is definitely a hobby where having a mentor helps, a lot. Get out and get after it. The killing is only a small part of the hunt. And what comes after that is a lot of work.
>>
>>2435446
Post physique.
>>
>>2435503
I would kill to have enough return clients to only have one new guy a year. Luckily for prairie dogs and pheasants as well as turkeys it isn't exactly hard to teach to most people.
>>
>>2435600
I'd be afraid to teach people upland bird hunting desu. Feels like a good way to end up like Cheney's lawyer, except actually an accident.
>>
>>2435608
I'd hate to say anything now and jinx it.
>>
>>2431366
Is there a hunting map app that doesn't require payment for basic features or an account? Every one I've tried has one or the other and I'm sure as hell not making 10 accounts just to find out which sucks the least. I'd use the google earth app but it doesn't have the image overlay feature of the desktop version. Unfortunately I'm stuck with an iPhone at the moment so my app selection seems limited.

All I need is a "parcel viewer" (property boundary viewer) feature and a dot showing my current location. If it's hunting specific and shows public hunting land boundaries, even better. My state owned public hunting land butts up against state owned public lakeside, which is not able to be hunted and has somewhat complex boundaries. I'm trying to make sure I don't leave public hunting lands which is hard when at least one footpath seems to leave it without warning. I'd use the paper map (and have) but the roads and landmarks are anything but clear when printed.
>>
>>2435855
They just passed a law requiring digitization of public access land. Post state I may be able to help
>>
>>2431853
nice dog and nice boots. what are those?
>>
>>2435877
PA. We have PDFs of each game land area which is fine for printing tiny unreadable maps and we have a viewer (website) for game land boundaries, but no app AFAIK. It's insanely frustrating wondering if the trail down the road is huntable or not and not being totally sure. Like I said, I think one area is huntable, but considering it's mostly tall grass and the one trail might even exit the huntable area (very quickly), it's frustrating. The hunting areas are kind of fragmented and quite skinny at spots and it's strange.
>>
>>2435413
I am not a degenerate. I am a chad. I don't even know how to react to this. Maybe you only know white trash people because you are white trash yourself?
>>
>killed exactly one rabbit in my life
>its liver was covered in white specks
I've never wanted to go rabbit hunting since. Did I just win a fucked up lottery or are tularemia scares the norm if you get a lot of rabbits?
>>
File: 20210917_172622.jpg (1.88 MB, 1814x2419)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
What's everyone's favorite crop to hunt doves over? I've done well in cut corn, wheat, and hay fields but the latter was much less productive. I've heard sunflowers are good but they aren't grown commercially around here. Season starts in 22 days, gonna start scouting for concentrations of birds when I'm out and about.
>>
File: IMG_1458.jpg (1.3 MB, 2414x3602)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>2435409
No crossbow in your state?
I hunt a recurve normally but sometimes I take the ol' arrow rifle out too.
>>
>>2436158
Why hunt doves? They are so small. Barely anything to eat on them. Turkey and quail are better.
>>
>>2436130
I killed a rabbit once but its liver was normal. But it was a pet rabbit, and I killed it on a dare. Or more accurately, a girl told me that I didn't have the balls to kill her rabbit, so I cut its head off with a knife. and yes, it worked, we fucked later.
>>
File: 1639515698045.jpg (3.07 MB, 5347x3428)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
>>2436168
>heh
>>
>>2436163
Xbow is rifle season only here.

>>2436158
Sunflowers are great for doves
>>
>>2436158
my grain bins and trees are full of them and pigeons.
>>
Prairie dog hunter update. Cool dudes, used deer guns for them which, eh, do as you please. Said they wanted to come back for turkey or pheasant.
>>
>>2436310
I use my deer gun, 30-06, for p doggies. I also switch to a 22-250 as to not over heat the barrels. It’s good training for the deer woods.
>>
>>2435855
>Is there a hunting map app that doesn't require payment for basic features or an account?
ONx does a free week to fuck around with and then it's like $30 for a year, well worth it IMO.

>>2433589
Modified how exactly? I was looking at some blunts to slap on my arrows and get some of the rabbits in the yard come september.
>>
>>2436372
Really just grind it down until it's very sharp. Blunts are alright but if you hit your animal they fly around and get lost crazy easy. Recommend getting illuminated nocks if you're going to use blunts or bludgeons for sure.
>>
File: v-can-870x410.jpg (50 KB, 870x410)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
I'm looking to get a bolt action rifle for hunting various things, that is cheap on ammo. Obviously the first choice for that would be .308 and while I do want somethung that is cheaper on ammo, I also want something that flies flatter than .308 does. I have done a lot of research and both .270 and .243 fly much flatter than. 308 flies and are still pretty cheap on ammo. But can't decide between buying a .270 rifle and a .243 rifle. I'm sorta leaning towards .243 only because .243 rifles seem fairly cheaper than .270 rifles. But I also have read about how powerful .270 is and that it can kill anything in north america.

Thoughts? Pros and cons? I really can't decide.
>>
>>2436566
pick the more common ammunition, if their effectiveness is roughly equivalent. it will make things easier for you.
>>
>>2436566
306 if in field pussy
3030 if in woods
>>
Upland bros what shotgun you shooting? I'm in the market for an O/U
>>
File: 1569023307868m.jpg (86 KB, 1024x1024)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>2436599
The only gun that matters.
>>
>>2432642
Some Gaylord out here upset that he ain't whackin and stackin
>>
Any rabbit tips?
I can never get them to flush, so all attempts at hunting with a 20 ga are frustrated. The terrain is very hilly and lightly wooded with oaks and thick waist high brush. I've confirmed they're around via scat and even shot a couple from a distance with a .22 but never had any luck with shotgun.
>>
>>2436566
243 with the right bullet can deal with all game up to and including elk, with good placement at moderate range.
>>
>>2436573
What about if you own a suppressor?
>>
>>2436566
.270 over .243 every day of the week
>>
>>2435409
Update
>posterior labrum tear
>infraspinatus tendon tear
>supraspinatus tendon loose
NGMI ever again
>>
>>2436573
Ballistcally 30-30 flys and hits in a manner that makes it extremely close to 7.62x39 while being worse in every way.
>>
>>2436973
Are you sure about that?
>>
File: Snapchat-705756136.jpg (490 KB, 1080x1436)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
Last season was my first season duck hunting. I still think back fondly on freezing in the sleet but limiting out on male wood ducks. Ah. One of the best days in my life.

Duck hunting truly is the most fun thing I've ever done.
>>
>>2436566
243 is deer rifle. 6.5 Sneedmore and 270 are intermediate cartridges that shoot flat and lethal out to 450 which is as far as you will ever need to shoot. 308 and -06 are full sized cartridges with mediocre trajectories but a 300 WinMag is too powerful for deer. My advice? AR platform 308 or 6.5 will tick just about any box you need for an all around gun.
>>
>>2437022
fuck I took a 600yrd shot on my ranch with 3006 and was low but not low enough to miss.
>>
>>2436994
He's right. 7.62 Russian is sometimes colloquially referred to as Soviet 30-30.
>>
>>2435044
why wouldn't you hang it up by the rear tendons? like...why do you have it roped around the neck? The hide is all bunched up and makes skinning that much harder.
>>
>>2437068
Yeah. But it's wrong. It has a better meplat. Does significantly more tissue damage. And they only intersect for kinetic energy at 125 yards. They don't intersect for momentum till like 250 because .30-30's usually 170 or 150 grain. Talking from the muzzle .30 is like 350-400 ft/lb more than 7.62x39. and like 600 less than 7.62 NATO. It's a better hunting cartridge like 99% of the time.
7.62 Russian is only used because it's so damn cheap and available.
>>
>>2437206
30-30 is nice in melee range, but the typical bullets for that cartridge has shit ballistics and bleed velocity like a motherfucker.
Any modern tipped bullet will expand just fine on almost anything while still penetrating deep.
Use a monolithic or bonded bullet for big game, and whatever you feel like for small and medium game.
30-30 is completely outdated now, but it's fun for plinking or if you just want a lever gun, because they are cool as fuck.
If you aren't planning to hunt moose, .243 is quite adequate, no reason to go bigger desu, less recoil, less flinch, more accurate shooting.
Bullet placement and contruction is king, use the right bullet for the game you hunt and you will not have any issues, energy dumped into the ground behind the animal doesn't make it die any faster.
For example a Barnes TTSX will easily drop an elk from a .243, and make it out the other side, the animal won't feel any difference between that and a .338 lapua, but you will.
>>
>>2436642
Beagles are the answer
>>2436599
I mean I got a bunch of shotguns 1100, 12, 870, shitty old Charles Daly is still killing shit twenty years later, but if you’re looking for a cheap quality o/u I like my brothers 555
>>2435882
Okay so you have the interactive map with all the public hunting lands available on it it’s just reallyyyyy shitty. I’m surprised some based anon hasn’t uploaded this to arc explorer or something. In my three minute search my advice is to stick to the state game lands and cross reference with your gps. I wish we had some computer nerds here so we could legitimately build a massive one stop shot like onx but free and allow people to post tips and stuff like where you can corner cross those faggots in Wyoming
>>
>>2437341
>if you’re looking for a cheap quality o/u I like my brothers 555
Ive got enough cheap shotguns, probably going to be getting a benelli 828u or a beretta silver pigeon
>>
>>2436599
I know it's not an O/U but have you considered a side by side?
You get to choose which barrel so you can use different chokes.
It's comfortable to handle.
It's aesthetically pleasing.
It's trad so there's an element of classiness to it
They're relatively rare so you'll stand out among your comrades

Personally I love my CZ Bobwhite G2. I use it for waterfowl and it's served me well so far.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-bobwhite-g2/
>>
>>2437403
Dad has one of these, theyre nice but id prefer an o/u because i like to shoot sporting clays and skeet as well as hunt. I will get a side by side in the future, just not my highest priority
>>
>>2437423
I shoot skeet with mine. What you tryna say??
>>
>>2432290
dead link
>>
>>2437233
True. But then so is bow hunting. Point is, the round still fucks. If you wanna do some min maxing that's cool. But it's not like the wildlife has gotten more bullet resistant either.
>>
>>2437438
That i want an o/u first lol. Nice gun
>>
>>2437022
6.5 ammo, and it's rifles, are so much more expensive than .243 and .270, which is not what he was looking for.
>>
>>2437341
The bounds of hunting lands make little sense in areas BTW. I didn't want to pay for onx because google earth on my phone SHOULD have basic features (map overlays especially!) and I won't even get into my hate of subscription software you'll never have the option own here; I'll never give a cent. I hate that I to have to figure out bounds how I'm doing it now but I guess I'll just map overlay and print it. Yes, paths do exit hunting lands for a couple hundred yards for seemingly no reason, yes bounds seem to be arbitrary, and no, I don't think there's signs or those little Game Commission badges to let you know except specific areas. The next headache will be having to use our parcel viewer to figure out farmer's property borders once I get a permission around here-if I can ever get in contact with any of them.

What's arc explorer btw?
>>
>>2436566
Get a 6.5 creedmore. Cheap mosh and readily available ammo. And light recoil so you can practice a lot. I wouldn’t recommend it for elk, but if you wait for a perfect broadside shot, it will kill elk with the right ammo. I just don’t want to get cucked on an animal because of shot placement. Xg0yyx
>>
>>2437651
You can buy an OnX chip for a gps. Or forever wonder you’re trespassing or not.
>>
>>2437845
Or I can use the shitty state site and compare with google maps as I go, or plan ahead. Or hell, use paper maps like "the olden days" when you didn't need a subscription and hundreds of dollars of (additional) equipment for hunting on public land when the game commission gave a shit and gave you maps. Crazy, right? However, I will ask: does that OnX chip require a subscription or not? I don't know if it'll really be worth a subscription unless I go to new areas which I'm bound to eventually learn rather quickly, anyways.
>>
I'm stuck hunting public land in NY so I take what I can get
>>
>>2437871
>>
File: IMG_20201121_071749236.jpg (1.88 MB, 1836x3264)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>2437876
>>
>>2437841
It's literally not cheap compaired to .243 and .270. The opposite of what he asked for.
>>
>>2437474
Well, that's true, I just always want to optimize things for what I do.
Really want a lever gun at some point, but it probably won't join me on many hunts, as the ranges stretch out a bit here, and my targets are small.
>>
File: groundhog.jpg (403 KB, 1880x1253)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>2431366
I am losing my mind. I haven't seen a groundhog in about two weeks. Weather has been about mid 80s to low 90s. Mid to high humidity IIRC. I've been out hunting around 7:30 AM-1:00 PM, probably hunting half of the days in the last two weeks. The only one I saw since getting my last and only groundhog ran across the road around 1:00 PM-2:00 PM while I was on my way back home (within 1.5 miles of where I was hunting). Internet says they're out in the morning and at sunset, which is what quick internet searches about any game animal seems to come up with. I haven't even seen the ones in fields near my house like I usually do. Is the heat keeping them in their burrows until later in the day or what?
>>
Well boys I’m headed out on a bear hunt, elk-deer scouting trip. Wish me luck.
>>
>>2438654
I've noticed a groundhog shortage as well. Saskatchewan.
>>
>>2437854
Damn you’re a whiny bitch.
>>
Going to go scout out a valley tomorrow morning for deer, hopefully my instincts are right. Maybe I'll post some pics
>>
>>2437990
Ok retard.

https://supplymunitions.com/product/aguila-6-5-creedmoor-140gr-fmj-bt-20-round-box/

https://www.texasammunition.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=R-NOR-243-100-SP
>>
>>2438654
I see them all over the place in Eastern Canada.
>>
>>2439245
Had a good day out, found enough traces of deer to get my hopes up!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.