[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: oie_cUS39vZUey9n.jpg (249 KB, 860x834)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
Die aphids! Die!!

USDA Hardiness Zone Map: https://garden.org/nga/zipzone/

Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87

Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hugelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, City Slicker Composting, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting, Alpaca, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

Previous thread >>2423245
>>
File: 20220730_114804~2.jpg (1.22 MB, 2632x3509)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
The "weird cherry" is finally ripening. No clue what this variety is called, it was from some random cherry tomatoes we were given last year and these were both tasty and had a fun shape so saved some seeds.
>>
So my soil is lacking in potassium. Googling it says to use compost. Ok. One page says, use banana peels, they are high in potassium. Cool. Another page says, do not use banana peels, they likely have been sprayed with pesticide.

Wat do?
>>
>>2429076
Even if they have pesticides how much can be on there?
>>
>>2429076
Wood ash is an easy and reliable source. It's one of my go to soil amendments.
>>
>>2429062
do you know if it's a stable variety or early hybrid so it'll taste right?
>>
>>2429096
No clue, but the first couple I ate were tasty and I saved the seeds so I guess we'll find out next year how stable it is.
>>
What the hell is going on with this tomato bros? Am I growing a demon?
>>
>>2429107
>>
>>2429043
I only have sun gold but they seem to lose a lot of their acidity when they fully ripen. I kind of prefer them when they are almost ripe but not quite.
>>
>>2429107
the forbidden tomussy
>>
>>2429107

does the hole smell??
>>
>>2429107
That's just normal for many large heirloom varieties.
>>
is the bag of "compost starter" from the garden store of any benefit?
>>
>>2429213
my assumption is its compost that already has microorganisms,fungus spores, etch in it. sounds like bullshit to me unless the soil in your yard is completely bereft of life due to severe industrial contamination
>>
>>2429107
heirloom tomatoes are just butt ugly. many have skins that tend to split during growth or overwatering. looks normal.
>>
File: bIMG_7788.jpg (577 KB, 1459x1094)
577 KB
577 KB JPG
Picked the first squash, 1/8 oz shy of 5 lbs.
>>
>>2429252
Was that the fence squash?
>>
>>2429222
Sorry bro i appear to be retarded and a retard

>>2429252
Nice, are you the guy with the rebellious squash trapped between the trellis and the metal net? If so did you spare its life? What was its fate? Did you need the jaws of life?
>>
>>2429255
>>2429253
Yes from the fence plant. The trellis squash is still incarcerated, it can stay where it is until it poses a problem.

I just went out to check on it and heard a strange noise. When I looked behind the trellis there was a duck and ducklings. I think they were just passing through squeezing under fences on their way to find water.
>>
File: IMG_20220730_184947.jpg (1.34 MB, 2048x1144)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
I seem to be losing extremely fine sediment through the material of my grow bags, should I worry at all about how this impacts my soil? Should I not be putting them onto patio?
>>
>>2429107
fug it and get a tomutto
>>
File: real soyak.png (4.19 MB, 2000x1333)
4.19 MB
4.19 MB PNG
>>2429107
it means u re a soiak
>>
>>2429280
Are you sure its coming from the bags and not ants on the patio? Looks gritty like sand, I wouldn't expect particles that size to get through the bags. Could be ants clearing out sand between stones now that you've given them a roof.
>>
After living in this town for five years I have finally had the fortune of moving into an apartment that has windows that get full sun and I would like to start myself an indoor herb garden.

I'm not used to having fresh herbs readily available, or cooking my own food for that matter, so I'm trying to figure out what all I would like to get going here.
I already know I want to grow
>mint
>thyme
>rosemary
>chives
Because those are the herbs I know I'd be able to get actual use out of but maybe oregano and basil will be good choices too?
I do have a lot of recipes for Italian food, I'm just finally out of college and can no longer justify buying fast food all the time.

Also, is there anything else that is simple/worth growing on a windowsill besides herbs and houseplants?
>>
>>2429054
OH N-
>>
>>2429325
>normi houseplants

throw them in the bin, absolutely worthless
>>
>>2429320
wtf
>hippy
>heirloom varieties
>smartwatch
i just dont understand your generation
>>
trying to figure out what do for a hydroponic setup
basically it's down to either the garage or outside and neither are great options
>>
>>2429325
black mold
>>
>>2429323
You're totally right, I didn't see them before but on further inspection it's just ants
>>
>>2429335
They're the offspring of my mom's houseplants, I'm kind of obligated to keep them.
>>
File: 1659235880523.jpg (3.39 MB, 2046x1863)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
Doing my best with what I have
>>
>>2429420
looking good man
>>
>>2429335
Those are all awesome herbs what are you talking about?

>>2429352
Don't listen to him.
>>
>>2429320
fucking hate those beards, that shit looks disgusting.
> inb4 beardlet
i have a beard but i trim it because its arab tier and starts to look like that as well.
>>
>>2429432
he just needs to brush it, mine looks like that unless I brush
>>
>>2429431
>what are you talking about?
Oh I don't think he's talking about the herbs, he's talking about how my wandering dude, snake plant, christmas cactus and various succulents are useless, but I got them as housewarming gifts from my mother so whatever, I like how they look, there'd be nothing but bed, dresser, musical instruments and boxes on shelves in my bedroom if I didn't have those.
>>
>>2429437
Ooohhh yeah still ignore him. Those are also all nice plants.
>>
>>2429445
Nice plants you say? We like nice plants!
>>
>>2429447
Nice plants that taste goood.
>>
>>2429448
Yes yes give us the good plants
>>
>>2429451
With the mighty delicious tomato we become one!
>>
File: 20220730_191922~2.jpg (1.15 MB, 4272x2220)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
>>2429453
All glory to the hornworm!
>>
>>2429453
>>2429454
stop right there criminal scum
>>
Daily harvest
>>
>>2429461
The risk is worth it for beautiful hawkmoths.

>>2429471
Tasty beans.
>>
>>2429471
dis nigga eatin beans
>>
>>2429547
You don't need to spam this in every thread.
>>
>>2429437
>Wandering dude
I see the Jewish psyop is working
>>
>>2429420
is there any risk of chemical leech with the litter buckets being in the sun? on a side note, i know white "food grade" buckets at depot/ace/lowes are from the same manufacturer as their own branded buckets and are the same product just with color dye and a label
>>
>>2429352
im taking care of my moms plants now both indoor and outdoor. its how she lives on with me
>>
>>2429471
are those tomatoes on the left?
>>
>>2429626
not the guy but yes those are tomatoes. I forget what they're called but I remember growing them several years ago. Not sure if it was just how and where I was growing them but they were particularly bland compared to the other red cherry tomatoes I had that same year.
>>
>>2429628
just googled yellow cherry tomato, they're called yellow pears
>>
>>2429107
OP of tomussy here, this is supposed to be a regular beefsteak tomato.
>>
File: 1659271467237.png (185 KB, 1080x552)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
>>2429624
I considered the problems with BPA leechate, but I don't think it will be a problem long-term. I haven't seen them bleach from the sun either, so whatever additive is used to make them yellow must be fairly stable.

And my blood probably has more plastix in it from previous factory jobs anyway, so the convenience-to-cancer ratio is acceptable
>>
>>2429681
I worked making and testing coatings for a time and one of the things we worked on was light stability of various things. When colors fade it's not because the pigment is leeching out of whatever plastic it's in, it's just that sun radiation over time breaks down the pigment itself bleaching the plastic. Depending what they're made of some pigments are more stable in light than others. Yellow tends to be very stable, red tends to break down quickly.
>>
>>2429054
I feel over the past couple of year so have been having more fun worm farming than actual gardenning :/
>>
>>2429694
Neat. Good to know. The buckets themselves attract a lot of my neighbors bees during the day, and distract the vine borers long enough for me to hit them with an electric swatter
>>
>>2429471
I grew yellow pear tomatoes my first year growing and I fucking hated them. They were just too big to be a one bite tomato and they all burst early.

>>2429628
I agree with this sentiment. They weren't even that good, I composted most of them that I didn't give away.
>>
>>2429694
I used depot's orange buckets for a growing season and by fall they went from orange to yellow
>>
>>2429681
they are sturdy buckets though and stack/store better than the rounds
>>
>>2429698
did you collect the worms after the rain or ordered?
>>
>>2429698
worm farming is mass torturing animals
https://youtu.be/2gHS19IGTVs
>In general, aerobic composting creates enormous numbers of invertebrates that will die, perhaps painfully, soon after being born.
>>
>>2429748
>t. anti-natalist
>>
File: 20220731_173619.jpg (3.44 MB, 2419x3225)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB JPG
Behold, my only joy this year.
So many things either died or is close to dying but this bad boy keep on trucking.
God I love this fig.
>>
>>2429748
>invertebrates
>pain
you're dumber than greenpeace and PETA combined
>>
I'm looking at a house 350' from railroad tracks (~11-12 freight trains per day). What are your thoughts when it comes to the chemical pollution and potential noise pollution?
>>
>>2429791
>chemical pollution
none unless you have a derailment
>>2429791
>potential noise pollution
after a while it just becomes background noise, like the refrigerator cycling. most hardly notice it and the others go crazy. have to be aware of things you hang up on the wall or cabinets vibrating and potentially falling
>>
frens, its over. i found squash vine borers. rip my pumpkins.
>>
>>2429739
Exactly. Orange being a mix of red and yellow, the red disappears and the yellow remains.
>>
>>2429054

I'm interested in growing and producing my own flour at home (mostly for fun+education): whether that be corn or wheat. The issue though is that all the seed places I frequent only sell *vegetable or herb seeds.
*Sweet Corn apparently cannot be dried and milled into actual "Corn Flour". Sweet Corn doesn't have the right kind of starch or flourery'ness.

Can anyone link me or point me in the right direction to some establishment, company, or website, (in Canada/Alberta) that sells wheat and corn flour seeds? Please and thank you.
>>
>>2429889
true leaf market
>>
>>2429905
>true leaf market

This is a nice catalogue that I'll keep in mind, but it's unfortunately in America. Thank you though.
Small packages of vegetable seeds can be ordered from their site (like the kind you'd find at a store), but the 'larger' lb bags need Canada Seed Analysis Certificates. That isn't necessarily an issue.
Grains, on the other hand, all require a Phytosanitary in order to be shipped into Canada. Every single bag no matter how big or small. The process also takes time and money because it has to be done by a loiscensed government individual.
>>
File: nft.jpg (485 KB, 1124x948)
485 KB
485 KB JPG
I've been secretly planting stuff around my hometown, a mix of native perennials along with a few nonnative food-bearing trees and some self-seeding annuals. Several of my plantings have been destroyed by animals or drunks, but a surprising amount of them are doing pretty good considering I've never watered or fertilized any of them. Foodwise I've planted:
>3 apple cores, gotten at least 1 tree out of them
>a bunch of eastern redbud seeds, at least 2 of which have grown
>12 siberian treeshrub seeds, at least 4 of which have grown
>8 pawpaw seeds, will see how many show up next year
>a half pound bag of pearl millet that has exploded into a million seedheads and made the local birds very happy
>countless sunflowers that have also made the birds happy
>5 american hazelnuts, none of which I've checked up on
>3 cuttings of red mulberry, all of which flourished because mulberries are hardcore
>over a dozen perennial thicket beans, only one of which grew
>a bunch more I can't remember off the top of my head
I figure that since I can't fix the world's problems I can at least make my local area better for the wildlife and old foragers, plus if the world ends or whatever I'll know where food is and potentially die slightly later than everyone else. Anyone else doing stuff like this?
>>
>>2429949
I hope Canada gets hit by a ten mile wide comet
>>
>>2429985
Alberta and the ones in the north are fine. The rest of it is grotesque
>>
Should I grow sorgum or millet?
Considering nutritional profile and ease of growing/gathering.
What do you say?
>>
>>2429751
That channel was a step further than antinatilism, there is apparently a group of people who ideally would like the universe wiped out to eliminate all suffering
>>
>>2430045
Where you live? I'd say Milo. It's better feed in my opinion than millet. Some varieties you can turn into syrup and used the pressed greens for supplemental silage. Can't really be used for a complete feed in that case though.
>>
>>2430045
Millet is nutritionally superior (and tastier in my opinion) but has lower yield than sorghum. Additionally, most types of millet needs to be dehulled which is a pain in the ass, but from what I've read pearl millet doesn't. Sorghum also has varieties that you can make killer syrup out of (which is also a pain in the ass) and varieties that pop like popcorn, which is cool. If I were you I'd do both, but if I had to pick one I'd go sorghum.
>>
>>2430045
But yeah, Milo. Aka "great millet" (it's not, it's a sorghum) or "broomcorn" is the best feed you can grow in my opinion.
>>
>>2429833
Come home (evrope) cucurbit man!
>>
>>2430052
cooler climates, 6b or something if I remember correctly.

>>2430054
>Millet is nutritionally superior
thats what I care about
>Additionally, most types of millet needs to be dehulled which is a pain in the ass,
I care about this factor as well as I'm doing it small time, and sorgum apparently is extremely easy to harvest the seeds.
I mainly plan to use the grains to save them for later, any other biomass will probably go back into the ground.
>>2430055
what about time of year for growth? Which of them are warm season and cool season? Also average plant to harvest time?
>>
File: cover-crop-planting[1].jpg (526 KB, 1377x1394)
526 KB
526 KB JPG
Do Cover Crops 'do' anything for a small garden plot? (I think my field is something like 5x15ft atm. Not super big, but I plan on breaking up more land for it next year.)
I thought it might be fun to plan Fava Beans or Tillage Radishes when I was done growing this season, but I'm not sure I'll get anything out of it?
>>
>>2430090
>Do Cover Crops 'do' anything for a small garden plot?
Exactly same as on big fields.
The only place I wouldn't use cover crops is pots.
But if it's nature, plant it.
Also try to get a mix of 8 or more difdfferent species of stuff.
Some with deep roots, others with roots that spread out, grasses, legumes, other species and so on.
Anything cheap or free that you can easily terminate or is self terminated by cold.
If you aren't growing something to harvest, you should be growing a diverse mix of stuff in the meantime.
>>
>>2430062
That depends on where you are.
Western Kansas milo always gets planted middle May to end of May. I think that's technically growing zone 6? But it's semi-arid steppe by koppen climate.
>>
>>2430062
Milo, broomcorn and great millet are all the same plant. Sweet Milo grows in warmer climates
>>
>>2430100
>Western Kansas milo always gets planted middle May to end of May.
so it grows for 2 weeks? Or a year+2 weeks?
>>2430102
if anything im looking for things that grow well in cooler climates
>>
File: garden.jpg (1.32 MB, 2001x1065)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
Gents I need idea. I have 6 raised beds (3 in shade, 3 in sun (TX)). The shaded area I hardly use these days. I'd like to retrofit it into a wild flower/bush/herb around for more permanent plants that are aesthetic mainly but something like rosemary is also welcome.

I went raised bed because I have heavy clay. I have planted flowers directly in ground and they don't do well, they stay small.

So my question: I was originally going to turn the three beds into one big garden space that is rocked in. From end to end it is roughly 30ft, there is also a slope that makes it a 17in drop corner to corner. I have in ground sprinklers so digging down needs to be limited. I would rather follow the contour of the land, just like how they are now. Can I dry stack rock? I have many neighbors that seem to have done this. Are there any other more affordable options? I'm guessing this would be near $500 worth of stone unless if I use cobble stone (~32ft long with ~4ft going back towards the fence each side = 38ft x 1ft tall)? I'm starting to wonder if it is better to use garden edging and try to till in the good soil I have... Sprinklers should be at least 4" down but that isn't going to yield a healthy root system.

Depending on how it goes, I will do the other 3 beds the same way. This time they are on a raised part of a retaining wall. All of the wood is rotting after 5 years (untreated).

Pic for reference
>>
File: images (6).jpg (18 KB, 276x183)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>2430107
Harvest is October to November. Again. Western Kansas temperatures. You can grow it all the way in Nebraska too where I think harvest is more like middle November.
>>
>>2430107
But yeah. 90-120 days from plant to harvest for Milo. Frequently double cropped with wheat if you get a 90 day varietal.
>>
File: 20220724_084334~2.jpg (2.22 MB, 3272x4175)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
>>2430090
Yes, they really do. But it depends on your scale I think. The plants that grow fix certain nutrients from the air and soil (hence why so many plant legumes as a cover) and then when you till them in they decay, are eaten by worms and bugs, absorbed by fungi and it all becomes nutrients available in the form the plants can make use of.

In a small scale garden the trade off becomes whether it's worth it to give up growing time for a cover crop versus amending the soil in another way. So we have a decent sized yard but still want to use every bit as much as we can. I just pulled out a bunch of garlic and potatoes so there are bare spots. On a larger scale this might be where I throw in some beans to mostly till in later, but here I'd rather use the space to grow another round of zucchini and cucumbers.

We achieve the same outcome by growing other plants like comfrey, burdock, nettle etc that thrive in rough conditions in other parts of the yard where good veggies don't do well. That way you get good green mulch but still keep your beds producing. Same effect with a different take. As a result we get all kinds of crazy stuff popping up. Last year was lots of slime molds, this year is a boatload of penis mushrooms. It's good fun. As I say though what's most efficient is going to depend on the scale you're working at.
>>
>>2430090
big retardeddly tarded mene for a tiny plot, just put over it a lot of horse manure or whatever and till, and then over your humid season it will better your soil, after that no till will be the best and only need to fert with natural stuff once in a while
>>
>>2429645
could be blossom end rot. consistent watering. perhaps shade cloth if super hot
>>
>>2429768
nice color
>>
File: IMG_20220511_202132.jpg (405 KB, 1832x1374)
405 KB
405 KB JPG
>>2430108
I dry stacked about that height in my garden. It's held up to dirt if not my children.
>>
>>2429978
youre doing Gods work anon
>>
>>2429978
Post pics
>>
Beans
>>
Tomater
>>
>>2429978
This is what a hero looks like. You are amazing.
>>
>>2430132
Looks like your wall is one row of rock deep too huh? That is good news. I didn't know if the at a height of 9-12" would the dirt try to top the rocks over. I figured that isn't tall enough to push them out and therefore typical retaining wall engineering methods aren't necessary.
>>
>>2430159
Why pick beans after they are green but before they are seeds? Why pick a green tomato at all?
>>
Finally getting into a nice weather pattern the past week or so. Rain showers ever few days and hot days. The humidity has been annoying, but better than the typical bone dry we usually get. Mowed the lawn 5 times since last week
>>
>>2429338
Big factory-level agriculture wasn't really a thing until the 1970s and 1980s
>>
>>2430208
Lucky you I have the exact opposite. I get rain for 3-4 days in a row followed by 1 dry day. Was close to getting my garden flooded a few days ago.
>>
hi im making a new fermentation thread on /ck/ do you guys mind if i link this general on it there, asking cuz ck is kinda dogshit rn and i dont want to piss ppl off here if it brings any retards
>>
>>2430375
>do you guys mind if i link this general on it there
whhhyyyy?
>>
File: 93248572.jpg (220 KB, 1512x1512)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>2430377
sorry this thread, heres some mold i grew for miso.
>>
>>2430377
oh its because i see a bit of fermentation discussion here sometimes like kombucha
>>
>>2430241
what I wouldn't give to get that rain.

we get like an inch of rain in an hour and then no rain for 10 days or more. I've been watering this big stretch along my fence line with my neighbor that I'm trying to turn into a wildflower garden, using a sprinkler and moving it down the line very 10 minutes still takes a full 3 hours to water.
>>
>>2430385
Some do and ironically I will be putting a batch of fermented pickles together today. But while I may come check out the thread there, please don't link this.
>>
>>2430394
alright, good luck with your pickles man
>>
>>2429949
This is the first time i've heard this level of jewery. wtf, i ought you first worlders had like basic rights or something.
>>
>>2428885
I did it, I’m free. May all your harvests be blessed.
>>
>>2430434
not in soviet Canada
>>
>>2430375
>ck is kinda dogshit rn
was it ever not dogshit? A friend of mine visited it once years ago and told me it was disgusting. I went myself and I was horrified. People arguing about which fast food joint is best (????).

For /ck/ to be good they should ip ban the entire continental US.
>>
File: 2001-2025.png (1.68 MB, 4096x2048)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB PNG
Also, if anyone is interested in the evolution of the Koppen Climate map for the next decades (considering the "worst case scenario" of 4 Celsius), I'll post it.
https://sos.noaa.gov/catalog/datasets/koppen-geiger-climate-changes-1901-2100/

Pic related: 2001-2025. Our day and age.

Which is the best Koppen climate for someone who dislikes humid heat and wants to avoid frost as much as possible? I want to buy a homestead for my retirement and I want to future-proof it.
>>
File: 2026-2050.png (1.67 MB, 4096x2048)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>2430539
2026-2050
>>
File: 2051-2075.png (1.65 MB, 4096x2048)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB PNG
>>2430540
2051-2075
>>
File: 2076-2100.png (1.64 MB, 4096x2048)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB PNG
>>2430541
The final treat. The End Times, if we make it that far.
2076-2100
>>
>>2430434
>>2430521
>implying having regulations in place to check the things being sold meet quality standards is a bad thing.

That said, the guy asking is clearly an idiot and embarrassment to Canadians at large.
>>
File: 1659378467549.jpg (3.92 MB, 4032x2268)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB JPG
why is my cannabis plant dying?
>>
>>2430586
looks like too much fertilizer. like urea burn.
>>
Anyone else have shit germination in stuff this year?
>>
>>2430136
>>2430173
Thanks, it's pretty fun and I highly encourage everyone to do it.
>>2430147
No pics unfortunately, my only camera's busted.
>>
File: 20220801_134938.jpg (1.55 MB, 2301x3125)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
How do I save this jalapeno plant? Its eager to live. Do I prune the upper branches that arent leafing anymore?
>>
File: file.png (903 KB, 795x730)
903 KB
903 KB PNG
>>2430686
yeah, i'd snip it above the first branching and put those in some water if you want another plant or two.
>>
>>2430686
What did you do that got it in that state to start with? That's the best way to know how to heal it.
>>
>>2430802
Get some long, dry summers here. Neglected it for a few weeks, trying to nurse it back to health.
>>
File: file.jpg (87 KB, 1001x1001)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>2430827
get one of these if you're that lazy
>>
File: 20220801_181549~2.jpg (2.51 MB, 3190x3590)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
>>2430827
Fair, it's been crazy hot and dry here this summer as well and had many plants suffer because I was too busy and not used to such extreme weather. The other anon gave good advice, I wish you luck.

>>2430375
>>2430396
I went to /ck/ and didn't see your thread, though it might have been buried by all the fast food, what's best to eat when high, frog memes and "what water glass should I buy?" threads.

So I'll share with anyone interested, here's how I make fermented pickles. Because good golly do I have a lot of cucumbers to use up.
>>
File: 20220801_184216~2.jpg (2.84 MB, 3071x3667)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
>>2430846
First step is making the brine. I like to boil mine some to get the flavours out of the spices. Today I'm using black pepper, mustard seed, dill seed and a little crushed chili. The ratio I go for is 1 tablespoon of salt (any salt will work so long as it doesn't have iodine in it) per two cups of water. The other important point is that though I boil the salt and spices, I let it fully cool before adding to the vegetables in the jar.
>>
File: 20220801_185149~2.jpg (1.56 MB, 2883x3596)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>2430849
Next I pack the bottom with some grape leaves (the tannin helps in various ways especially crunchiness) and other herbs I want to add flavour. Here some oregano and basil.

The wonderful thing of this is that the flavourings and vegetables are all easy to swap around. I am doing cucumbers today because it's what I have the most of but soon it will be beans and peppers in much the same way.
>>
File: 20220801_185541~2.jpg (2.39 MB, 3456x4039)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
>>2430852
Next start packing the veggies in there and alternating with brine.
>>
File: 20220801_190238~2.jpg (2 MB, 3456x3431)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>2430853
Fill it up.
>>
File: 20220801_191032~2.jpg (2.12 MB, 2441x3517)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
>>2430854
And that's all there is to it. I don't even use a fancy valve to regulate the gas. A sterilized jar that's a close but not quite fit works plenty good. In this weather, in about 5 days to a week I will have a jar of delicious pickles to pop in the fridge and enjoy. The best part? Aside from the pepper corns and chili flakes which were very optional and the salt which is vety cheap, everything else came from our garden. So aside from time gardening, which I love and the cost of watering the bed, this huge jar of pickles cost less than 10 cents to make.
>>
>>2430858
nice. im gonna do some when the pickling cuces show up in the store cus i didnt get any myself this year¨. dad has a grape so ill try stealing some leaves for it and see if it works
>>
File: 20220801_211439.jpg (2.5 MB, 4000x1800)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
i think i planted too much zuccini this year.
im not even a big fan of zuccini.
i planted them for my niece becuase she requested it
>>
>>2430879
When family makes request for anything they never actually want very much. They think they'll get a couple of something and then anymore is an inconvenience for them despite all the work you do to do something for them.
>>
>>2430879
chop up a bunch of them and freeze, use in stews and mix in with mince meat. bet you can pickle them too like cucumbers.
>>
also i heard sulfur is something that works against powdery mildew can any anons confirm?
i trimmed back a bunch of zuccini leaves after the harbest and sprinkeled some powdered sulfur (brimstone) on them.
i greatful for you guys. you help me stay motivated in my gardening
>>
File: 20220801_192814~2.jpg (1.67 MB, 2676x3968)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>2430860
Glad it interested someone. I'm happy to answer any questions if you come up with them and will try to remember to post a follow up when they're ready.

Now to end the evening, a quick word about why I love beans so much. I started this plant back in march or so and planted it outside once the heavy frosts were done. It's given us tons of beans over the last few months, but now it's starting to die back and produce less. Fortunately some of the first pods it put out I didn't harvest and let turn to seed. And these now are those bean seeds, starting to sprout and ready to be planted. In a few weeks just as this plant puts out it's last fruit of the season, it's offspring will be just getting going and ready to shower with more beans till the frost comes.
>>
>>2430890
I use diluted peroxide. Works great, cheap, easily available.
>>
>>2430858
very nice, thanks
>>
File: file.png (59 KB, 617x380)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>>2430901
i recently checked Kenji's kosher pickle video so i'll probably try that one, he also suggested grape leaves.

also splurged a bit these containers he shilled as a bday present for myself cus i got annoyed with the weights in my mason jar.
>>
>>2430890
sulfur works very well for powdery mildew
I have applied almost 30lbs of sulfur so far this year
>>
>>2430607
thanks anon
>>
>>2430839
how are these compared to the terra cotta?
>>
>>2430902
dilutioni ratio?
>>
File: file.png (1.37 MB, 1280x720)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>2431053
they dont work the same way for starters so not sure how well you can compare them
>>
>>2430846
sorry its up now i went to bed
>>
File: 1591412432131.jpg (129 KB, 600x942)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>2429978
based
>>
>>2429432
Most men wearing beards have shit chins and jaws. Full on beard is usually a cope. Either clean shave or a stubble. Stubble is ideal if your jaw isn't great, but it helps with the contour. Also I can not associate beards on any modern male that is under 40 years of age with soiboys doing the retarded O face.
>>
>>2429978
Based
>3 cuttings of red mulberry, all of which flourished because mulberries are hardcore
For some reasons I have no luck with things that are supposedly indestructible.
Both mulberries and raspberries can grow in concrete cracks but whenever I plant them they are at best surviving.
>>
File: bIMG_1378.jpg (1 MB, 1814x1361)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
Squash have nearly made it to the right corner of the yard. It would be near the left corner as well if I hadn't l let the vines grow down to the ground then back up to the lattice before directing it sideways.

I'm finally starting to get green beans, should ramp up later this week. Its super tight to get in there to pick.

Potatoes on the left by the apple tree are collapsing under their weight and taking the chicken wire down with it. I was short poles after adding wire around the garlic / onions so there is nothing supporting the wire on the far side of the potato pen.
>>
File: bIMG_1380.jpg (961 KB, 1613x1210)
961 KB
961 KB JPG
>>2431206
I topped my Early Girl tomatoes at the fence lattice just above the last forming fruit strut, and took off most of the lower leaves and ones facing the fence.
>>
>>2431208
>straw covering top soil
good man
>>
File: 20220802_151457_HDR.jpg (3.41 MB, 4160x3120)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB JPG
any idea what kind of pepper this is? got a bunch of "mystery seeds" from pepper joes. plant took off like crazy. hoping its a hot one.
>>
>>2431325
Tough to tell from that but it looks like something ghost pepper related. Habebero is usually more plump than that, ghosts tend to be wrinkly bug also bumpy when ripe. Whatever it is, it's probably got decent heat to it.
>>
File: IMG_20220802_183718.jpg (1.04 MB, 2430x3240)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
Wtf is happening to my peppers bros
>>
File: IMG_20220802_063036.jpg (1.63 MB, 1667x1122)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
How many years does it take for grapevine born from seed to start flowering and fruiting? Got this volunteer vine that has nice bronze colored new growth, looking forward to see what the grapes will end up looking/tasting like
>>
>>2431431
blossom end rot, either not enough calcium or irregular watering.
>>
File: IMG_20220802_193235.jpg (2.97 MB, 2992x2992)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB JPG
Will garden cucumbers darken like the store bought ones of is that mostly a consequence of the food wax they use on them? How do I tell when they're ready to harvest?
>>
>>2431455
i have this problem as well, maybe they need sun to ripen ?
>>
>>2431455
they go from green to yellow, so yours won't get any greener at this point.
>>
>>2431455
It depends on the breed of cucumber. Some are white, some yellow, some dark green.
>>
>>2431455
>>2431474
This is the answer you want. Don't fret, those are just light colored cukes.
>>
>>2431208
mighty fine looking

>>2431455
>>2431474
most cukes (the popular/regular varieties) go yellow when they mature. harvest before that unless you want seeds. they're still edible but tend to taste more like a bland melon.
>>
>>2430858
looks great
>>
File: PXL_20220803_102955150.jpg (1.05 MB, 3324x2544)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>2429054
what fruit trees/plants can I grow from the seeds of store bought fruits?
I don't want or expect them to bare fruit. I just want some indoor plants that you can't typically get from Home Depot or Canadian Tire.
pic related is my avocado
>>
>>2431740
most of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvuf-gjFKY4
>>
>>2431744
that's amazing! ty for the link
>>
File: 20220803_143423~2.jpg (1.87 MB, 2689x3954)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>2430858
>>2431615
Thanks! Here's progress after a couple of days. It's bubbling up now and starting to give off a nice briney smell but still subtle at this point.
>>
File: PXL_20220803_192414760.jpg (1.82 MB, 3024x4032)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
Is this from over watering, nitrogen deficiency, or something else? It is only on a couple leaves for now. I just started getting tomatoes growing from flowers!
>>
>>2431740
It depends which fruits/veggies though. The GMO ones will produce goofy offspring. It is unironically cheaper to buy a pack of seeds usually, especially if you get heirloom seeds from Baker Creek or something
>>
>>2431967
its a fungus
take off every leaf with yellow spots and hope for the best
>>
>>2430201
Dragon’s Tounge beans and the tomato was going to fall off my deck so I’ll let it ripen on the window sill
>>
>>2431740
Get some of those purple sweet potatoes from whole foods
>>
I need some help, bros. I'm planning my squash lineup for next year and I'd like some advice. I'm wanting to plant:
1. Either yellow crookneck or zucchini.
2. Some type of winter squash that keeps and roasts well. I like butternut but I'm open to anything.
3. Some pumpkin for the kids to carve at Halloween.
2 and 3 can be combined, if possible. My problem arises from wanting to save seeds. I'd like my squash to not be able to cross pollinate so I don't have to fuck with flower condoms. Is there a solution to my problem? I know there's some squash autists on here.
>>
>>2429791
Lived with the Acela train just on the other side of the alley behind my house for years. 110mph+ trains blowing through regularly. After the first week you don't even notice it.
>>
>>2432064
It was only on one small branch towards the bottom of the plant, so I just cut off the branch. Thanks man
>>
File: 20220804_130317.jpg (940 KB, 2167x1594)
940 KB
940 KB JPG
My place was hit really hard with frost and my limes have all gone yellow and started to take brown spots.

Is this frost or is something else going on here?

This made my limes totally unsellable this year, the juice is totally fine but I can't get any money for the juice
>>
>>2432155
Cross pollination is very difficult to prevent, I'm only growing one variety but they were cross pollinated from another property and my nice yellow squash turned into a totally inedible bastard plant
>>
>>2431442
I don't think there's a minimum age for fruitfulness on grapevines
the first harvest on commercial plantings is in the 3rd season but any fruit is stripped in the first 2 seasons to promote vegetative growth
no idea on grapes grown from seed aside from they don't grow true to variety
>>
>>2432312
>the first harvest on commercial plantings is in the 3rd season but any fruit is stripped in the first 2 seasons to promote vegetative growth
Those are grafted plants, though
>>
>>2432317
I told you what I know bruh
and american grapes (e.g. juicegrapes) can be own-rooted fr fr
>>
>>2432321
This guy was right. Wait and see, you'll know soon if it's wild
>>
>>2432321
>own-rooted
But are you sure those also set fruit within the first years too? I mean, they are planted from cuttings so, they're still older than a seedling
The vine I posted is already in its 2nd year of life btw
>>2432326
What do you mean by wild?
>>
File: 20220726_201609.jpg (3.99 MB, 4608x2592)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB JPG
The mushroom farm is almost ready, just cleaning up a few things before everything is set up

Moving things and mopping floors that haven't been mopped in 30 years
>>
File: IMG_20220804_125339.jpg (1.6 MB, 1512x2016)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
finally put up trellises, need to move the right one next year so it's more centered (yes i know i need to mulch)
>>
>>2432423
there were small clusters on my vines a month after planting
>>
>>2429949
Just google. There are a bunch of online stores that sells germinating wheat.
>>
>>2429889
Most of the websites I use sell dent corn of some kind. It's supposed to be good for milling.
>>
>>2432280
If you are unscrupulous, market them as ultra-tart heirloom lemons and hippies will still buy them.

Otherwise, when life gives you yellow limes, bottle and sell margarita mix.
>>
>>2432423
>What do you mean by wild?

I mean whether it's a cultivated grape variety or wild grapes. It depends where you are, around here wild grapes are very common and invasive.hpsvg
>>
Tried growing some stuff for the first time this year, and it's been an absolute fucking bust. My tomatoes have been three inches tall since the start of June. Gardening sucks.
>>
Anyone know a good place to find building plans? I want to get a small "shed" to store a couple of chairs, not big enough to walk in. Most ive seen on amazon are like $300. I feel like I can slap some wood and sheet metal together to keep the chairs covered but still outdoors. But, im not super handy, so even an example would be good to look at.
>>
>>2432652
Fertilizer
>>
>>2432652
If you come into it with a bad attitude, then you're going to have a bad time.

Are you just growing tomatoes? What kind of media are you growing in? Besides the size, how do the plants look? Post pics, maybe we can help salvage the growing season
>>
>>2432652
you need to fix your soil, im having the same issue with my squash and i planted it in shitty dense loamy soil and it's not growing barely at all.
meanwhile my potted tomatoes and chillis are doing great
>>
>>2432636
Oh well, in my area (Europe) there's escaped American grapevines growing wild, (usually they have male flowers only so they don't even set fruit but they still spread with vegetative propagation), while Vitis vinifera is what we cultivate, so I can already easily tell them apart by the leaves appearance and this one is definitely Vitis vinifera
Not sure if that's what you meant

Sadly, Vitis vinifera doesn't do well in the wild because of all the pests that have been introduced from the new world, despite being the native species here
>>
What do you guys think about grow bags versus pots for growing on patios? I tried grow bag tomatoes this year but the grow bags lose moisture so fast and it's been a brutal year for heat. I've also heard that they leech out and have to be fertilizer/amended more frequently due to the porous surface and frequent waterings.
>>
>>2432791
Probably speaks more to my soil mixture not being airy enough, but when I emptied one recently the root ball was almost entirely in the bottom four inches of a 3gal cloth pot because when watering from the top it was running out the sides before penetrating the middle section of soil, missing out on nutrients and root structure. It was sitting in a dish which is why the roots were all in the bottom.
>>
File: 20220804_200654.jpg (3.78 MB, 4000x3000)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB JPG
I harvested some squash today, idk what these little bumps are they normal otherwise.
>>
>>2432753
Ahh yeah that's why I asked, here in Canada wild grapes, Vitis labrusca grows everywhere. They are quite good in their own right and gave rise to my favorite variety, the concord, but are quite different.
>>
>>2432652
Did plant from seed?
>>
File: 20220804_183646.jpg (2.23 MB, 2419x1814)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
Where my florets at? This shits like 3 feet tall.
>>
>>2432840
It looks like the shit from squash bugs.
>>
japanese beetles have returned
tomorrow they die
downy mildew as well
>>
File: fucking_alot_of_basil.jpg (4.27 MB, 4000x3000)
4.27 MB
4.27 MB JPG
I take back all complaints I had about 110+ weather, pesto pasta was worth it. Unfortunately cooked it too long so it doesn't look as bright but goddamn, farmers and pre-processed food society had something good.
>>
>>2432791
I found pots easier to water. For bags I ended up setting up drip on a timer to feed them water slow enough it would get absorbed.
>>
whats the link for the hgm dicord server?
>>
>>2429054
hi anon wanna come over after i harvest this and have a smoke ?
>>
>>2432999
there isnt one, go away zoomer
>>
>>2433041
lies, i know there is one
>>
>>2433048
who cares, only fags would go there and decrease activity in this thread.
>>
Rats have infested my compost bin, it's full of rat tunnels.
Is it still alright to use it? Is it likely to harbour any diseases?
>>
File: IMG_20220805_080608.jpg (3.15 MB, 2624x1968)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
Gardening retard here (>>2431431)

My peppers have this mold growing on the soil. Im guessing this is because I'm over watering. Is it over for this plant? Or is this recoverable? There isn't any mold on the peppers or leaves. If so, any ideas what I can do to fix/prevent this problem?
>>
File: 1594560587713.jpg (169 KB, 480x640)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
Potato disaster lads. Out of 4 bags I've got maybe enough tiny potatoes for two meals, if I do em in a stew. Fuck knows what I did wrong, the above ground part grew really well.

Really feeling my Irish ancestry today tbqh
>>
>>2433164
Chances are it's benign, but yeah stop overwatering, or the next fungi might kill your plant
let the surface dry before watering again
>>
>>2433169
I have to guess you used a bunch of nitrogen fertilizer or something else that saturated the soil with nitrogen. Excess nitrogen can cause potatoes and other things to produce so much foliage they don't bother putting effort towards the tubers.
>>
>>2433177
Yeah probably. I didn't really add anything, but I didn't really check the composition of the soil/compost mixture I used, so it was probably shit.

I need to work on my soil quality in the rest of my garden too because very little has grown well this year (I've not paid as much attention to it as I should if I'm honest), and my compost bin is ticking along nicely now, so if I really get on it over autumn and winter hopefully things will be better next year
>>
>>2433156
Compost is a warm place so it will attract all sorts of critters. Don't worry about it
>>
>>2432996
What are those white flowers
>>
File: 20220804_235601.jpg (3.28 MB, 4000x3000)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
>>2433018
woops forgot to include pic
>>
>>2433254
That's not ready yet. Needs to brown up a little more
>>
>>2433255
oh i know. its got about a month to go
>>
>>2433170
>let the surface dry before watering again
lmao no, shove whole finger down into soil or you will have no clue
>>
>>2433170
>>2433309
Better method is to lift the pot too determine how much water is in there then only water when it's getting light.

Also you can spray the soil there with a mix of 25/75 percentage peroxide to water mix. Use a 10% mix on the leaves if you see some forming there.
>>
File: pests.jpg (1004 KB, 3024x2728)
1004 KB
1004 KB JPG
I last posted 3 threads ago ( >>2415032 ) and things have been going pretty well since. Plants have been growing, I have been harvesting and eating. Added some cucumbers since and some small ones are growing on the plants now. Had one casuality due to the heat, didn't water the herbs one day and I think it fucked my laurel up, time will tell if I manage to save it.

That being said I noticed some pests on my pak choi and some on my salad. The other plants seem clean.
Picrel are the best pictures I managed to take. Pic 1 and 2 are the pests on the pak choi. 1 under a 8x magnification, 2 under 20x.
They look like aphids of some sort to me, just wanted to make sure. Also they are ONLY on the pak choi, the tomato is perfectly clean for some reason. Anyways, what's the recommended way to deal with them? Some kind of soap spray or something?
Pic 3 is the salad under 20x magnification, it looks like some animal feces or eggs or some shit. It's a longshot but any guesses what it may be?
Thanks for any advice anons, gotta say this is the first year I have grown anything somewhat seriously and despite the balcony situation it has been really fun. Will soon harvest the pak choi seed pods for next year, let's see how well that works.
Also apologies for the mixed image quality, the lenses I used are cheap aliexpress trash for electronics, so they have basically no depth of field. I already had to hold the loose lenses in front of my phone like a goblin to get these images.
>>
File: googoo.jpg (382 KB, 1084x813)
382 KB
382 KB JPG
First time trying to propagate from cuttings... have figs, oleander, cactuses, and sea figs. Wish me luck plz
>>
>>2433384
You got this anon.
>>
>>2429978
i love u anon
>>
>>2429978
>I figure that since I can't fix the world's problems I can at least make my local area better
That is unironically how we fix the world anon. Be it gardening, everydaylife or politics, the worldwide or nationwide stuff may be more interesting, but the shit that actually starts change is local. You are doing great stuff.
Fixing pollution is hard and mostly theoretical. Taking a bag with you when fishing and putting any trash you find at your favorite spot in there to properly throw away later is something you can do. You do the same with plants. Based.
>>
I realized most "gardening advice" in the US is basically geared towards eastern US, especially areas where rain falls or can fall anytime of the year in decent amounts
>>
>>2433240
Blackfoot daisy
>>
>>2429978
Any tips? Where I live in summers have pretty long droughts
And there's the issue of gardeners exterminating everything
>>
File: bIMG_7811.jpg (335 KB, 1094x821)
335 KB
335 KB JPG
Decided to pick this squash after taking the picture as I noticed the wire was starting to dig into it. I tied string around the the stem and lowered it to the ground after cutting the stem. Then used the prongs on my pole cultivator to grab the string. Decent size 3 lb 4 oz.
>>
>>2432681
>Are you just growing tomatoes?
I've tried beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, and watermelon: all but the beans were started early in trays, and only the beans produced (tough and flavorless pods, but pods nonetheless).
>What kind of media are you growing in?
Ground-level gardening bed.
>Besides the size, how do the plants look?
Pathetic; mottled; shriveled.

>>2432730
>you need to fix your soil
But how? Do I have to buy compost, or can I make my own? I have a leaf pile that's six months old - can I apply this to the bed before winter and improve it, then? What if I cut up all of the plants, and dig them into the bed? Will that do anything? I'm trying to do all of this with as little monetary input as possible.
>>
How the fuck do I get rid of aphids.
There are too many to manually squish them, I do not have access to a hose so I can't really wash them off the way some people online recommend.
"soapy water sprays" vary wildly in their descriptions if it's bad for the plant or not to use dishsoap.
Some mention baking soda spray, some don't.
I just want something effective, preferably non toxic (so I can still eat the plants) and if possible cheap.
Fuck Aphids.
>>
>>2432877
i think they bolted
>>
>>2432840
eat that first
>>
>>2433559
I've never seen an aphid in my life
>>
>>2433381
aphids i believe. spray with water or soap/neem/other oil solution
>>
>>2433403
not this year
>>
>>2433164
Fungi in the soil are completely irrelevant, other than pointing out potential issues like overwatering.
Soil isn't sterile. All kinds of shit grows in there. As long as the fungus isn't ON your plant, it's completely harmless.
>>
>>2433518
>ilegally freeing a prisoner

u re gonna get jailed as well and him will be your cellmate
>>
>>2429054
Chained fish
>>
File: 1659748621910.png (467 KB, 1080x759)
467 KB
467 KB PNG
>>2433190
>Compost is a warm place so it will attract all sorts of critters. Don't worry about it
>>
>>2433559
If they are under a leaf or on a stem, you can use packing tape to grab a bunch at once. It's nice because it's quick, and the tape doesn't usually stick to the rough underside of leaves. I've cleared a whole infestation with a few feet of tape and now my plants are big enough to handle themselves.

>>2433538
Sounds like your soil is dense, lacking in nutrients, or could be contaminated with something gnarly. If you're up to it and the leaves are still green, you can probably dig out the plants and try the rest of the season in pots or even buckets.

I once tried to grow flowers on ground level next to my fence, and they either died or were stunted. Turns out my neighbor was spraying roundup on their yard, and some made it through the gaps in the fence.
I rescued some perennials and put them in a pot, they came back bigger and better the next spring.

I am growing out of cheap plastic buckets, and I amend with mulched leaves, sand, and active manure in the fall so it's good to go in the spring. If you're going to use leaves, you want them to be pretty well degraded so they don't just dry out the soil or grow mold once it comes time to plant. By volume, you only want to add around 20% plant matter to your applied soil or else it could become hydrophobic and dry out your roots.

Start small, and make sure you're enjoying what you grow. Treating it like a chore is just a negative spiral of worry and disappointment. If it turns out your soil is bad, try growing something tough enough not to care. Radishes are hardy and turn around quick, plus they help loosen the soil for whatever comes next.
>>
>>2433559
ladybugs or wasps or hornets or yellowjackets will eat them, do you have any of those?

I had some kind of infestation with some sort of beetle on my ground cherry leaves, tore the plant up pretty bad but after a while the yellow jackets found them and took care of them very effectively.
>>
File: 20220805_224937.jpg (1.53 MB, 3264x1836)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
Cracked open a kraut jar and found this. Is this bad stuff?
>>
>>2433721
Well you know it's either botulism or harmless stuff that forms on sauerkraut that you just scrape off.
>>
>>2433721
Your kraut is kill.
It should all be below the water line, and you must keep the culture alive.
>>
>>2433578
Got it, thanks. Is any soap acceptable? I am scared of fucking my plants up by using a dishsoap/water solution and some of it going into the soil.
>>2433662
Interesting, will give packing tape a try, thanks.
>>2433693
>do you have any of those?
Sadly not. I thought about buying ladybugs, but since I am on a balcony I don't have the kind of ecosystem to sustain them, so I doubt they would want to stay and eat the aphids. They'd probably eat a few, then just leave.
>>
>>2433254
Do you grow your from seed or one of those feminized seeds?
I got like 20 buds to grow in my yard
And about half of them end up male
Is this shit suppose to be so wasteful?
>>
>>2433559
Soapy water is fine in an emergency, so just use that. It probably isn't great long term, and the best defence is to have lots of other plants that attract pollinators though, so get started on that and you won't have to use soapy water again.
>>
>>2433830
Got it, will do. It's my first year really growing anything, so I admit very little planning went into the different crops except for where on the balcony I placed them, so next year I will definitely do more planning in that regard to have a more resilient ecosystem. For now, soap will have to do I guess, I'll buy some eco friendly soap or look if they have some unscented natural soap at the store nearby today. Thanks again. Any personal experience with ratios that work well? If not I'll just google it and use one of those recipes.
>>
Anons, looking for some advice in the face of future supply chain issues.
I've been growing various things for a few years now so I have a bit of experience, but only as a hobby - now I'm interested in becoming as self sufficient as possible.

Firstly, what veggies should I add to my list?
Most of the basics I have covered already; tomato, onion, garlic, potato, capsicum, broccoli, beetroot, turnip, carrot, eggplant, peas, and pumpkin.

Second, I like carbs. Bread, pasta, rice, etc.
Let's say I have about 50 square metres of soil to work with for this, can I grow (in south australia) enough wheat or similar in order to supply a reasonable fraction of my needs?

Lastly, meat substitutes.
Is there anything relatively easy to grow that can stand in for meat in my meals?
>>
>>2429076
Potassium comes from pot ash. Wood burned in a pot to create ashes. The fine white ash left on top of a burn pile should be around 10% potassium. Or you can buy chemical potassium fertilizer. Muriate of Potash or Pottasium Sulphate are two versions.
Any complete fertilizer with an NPK rating, the K is the pottassium percentage. N is Nitrogen, P is is Phosphorus.
>>
>>2429107
Trans tomato.
>>
>>2433839
I use Dr. Bonners with peppermint oil. The oil is supposed to help repel insects too.
>>
>>2429833
Try a Moschata squash variant. You may have more luck with the borers.
>>
>>2433854
You better look into sustainable farming and have a lot of land, because the first thing to get fucked from supply chain issues is nitrogen fertilizer, which most people need to get the yields they expect.
I don't think your supply chain fears are founded, but gardening is based, so I respect that more than preppers. For meat you want to either grow poultry, which is reasonably doable (quail and chicken seem popular), or for protein the usual sources: wheat can be made into seitan, though it's a waste unless you somehow recover the starch too. Onions is nice but no idea how easy it is to grow yourself. Any plant that has high protein content would work, just look what grows locally.
>>
the compost I have right now is pretty hydrophobic due to sitting out in the sun for a while. I sift it into the garden trailer so its pretty airy but also easy to turn over with the shovel. the plan is to add a bag of either manure or mushroom compost and turn over, maybe a bag of top/garden soil that's made/bagged locally too
>>
>>2433809
you can use dr bronners if you dont want other stuff in the soil. even something like vegetable oil is good enough to help slide them off
>>
>>2429054
Should I? What are some realistic ways to use it?
>>
>>2433900
I'm not from the US, so I am not sure what the fuck Dr. Bronners is, even if 2 anons suggested it so far. It seems like it's a traditional soap made from lye and oil, in which case I can probably find something similar in a store... hopefully.
>>
>>2433905
What a beauty.
>>
>>2433662
I appreciate the advice.
>>
>>2433909
Aren't they? I think I'm just going to propagate them and figure it out later. Is it possible to keep peppers alive and productive through the winter if you put them indoors?
>>
>>2433918
>and figure it out later
Pretty much any chili based recipe should work, just adjust the amounts appropriately. Or make hot sauce. Just don't do anything where you fry them in hot oil or and don't make chili oil, or if either of those are what you want, then do it outside. Plenty of people have made aerosolized pepper spray in their kitchen from normal chilis, I don't want to know what these bad boys are able to do, kek.
No idea about the productivity question I am probably less experienced than you. Good luck with your peppers though.
>>
>>2433854
That'll be about a small sack of flour. Nothing can really stand in for meat.
>>
>>2433969
Beans can
8 grams of protein per serving only .5 grams per pound if you're just maintaining
>>
File: PXL_20220806_162859047.jpg (4.51 MB, 4032x3024)
4.51 MB
4.51 MB JPG
Is this kudzu?
>>
File: PXL_20220806_162952507.MP.jpg (2.45 MB, 3024x4032)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>2433991
>>
>>2433991
>>2433994
>>>/an/plant is probably more qualified on non-edible stuff, higher chance to get a good answer there i think
>>
>>2433985
Almost all of that is inaccessible, Always incomplete and inflated because beans are measured dry. Plus servings are not a real measurement and you have to be a retard out of blackest Africa to think it is. Beans are not fit for human consumption. They are the most toxin filled thing that people regularly eat.
>>
>>2433985
Oh also, there's no point in growing beans for protein when you need a lot of land which could just be used for chickens and growing chicken fodder.
>>
>>2433839
Nah, I just guessed with washing up liquid. You don't need much, maybe just a squirt or two out of the bottle. Same as you would when washing up
>>
>>2434005
Look at the store today and didn't find a good unscented soap, so I figured I will just use the normal shit I have and take extra care to get as little as possible anywhere but on the aphids. If I fuck it up I may damage or kill the plant or inhibit its growth, but if I don't do anything it's doomed already, so might as well try. I thought about if I should use washing soda, since most traditional soaps are basically lye+fat, will do some reading on that and if nothing comes up I will just use normal soap today. Thanks again.
>>
>>2434022
>He doesnt make his own potash soap

Ngmi
>>
File: 1628890809150.jpg (568 KB, 3220x1260)
568 KB
568 KB JPG
>blood moon buckwheat
>>
File: 1632781187397.jpg (1.98 MB, 3096x4128)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>2434048
it's blooming boys
>>
File: 1642489928825.jpg (1.32 MB, 2783x3525)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>2434052
field of red kidney beans is popping off
>>
File: death to aphids.jpg (274 KB, 878x1200)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
>>2434005
>>2433900
>>2433871
>>2433381
>>2433559
I have cleaned away the dead leaves, tried to get rid of the largest groups of aphids with packing tape first, but it didn't work well, so I just went to town with dishsoap&oil&water solution. Will apply for a bit and see how it works, god I can't wait to see those fucking aphids die.
Also did another inspection of all other plants, none were infected. The aphids only attack the bok choi it seems.
Looking forward to the conclusion of my personal aphid genocide, so I can go back to having my comfy balcony garden without the annoying pests.
>>
>>2434062
aphids are just a symptom of poor plant health, band air solutions will fix that one issue, the plant still stays weak.
>>
>>2434067
I am aware of that, the issue was insane heat and I didn't water enough. Heat has gone down, I am watering more and the plants are healing. But the fucking aphids are here and I need to get rid of them before they multiply even more. Fuckers.
>>
>>2434071
Get some lady bugs in the mail.
>>
Guys, does all rye, (cereal rye not grassrye) survive winter well?
I have access to different sources of rye seeds but I have no idea if any of them are specific for winter or not.
How fucked would I be if I got some cheap and easy to get version and planted it, would it survive winter in dormancy, given a month or two of time to grow before frost hits?
>>
File: 20220729_161704.jpg (551 KB, 1210x908)
551 KB
551 KB JPG
in case someone is still wondering what these anime-turnips also known as daikons taste like i had my first nibble today
basically it is 100% like a regular red radish but bigger, i had really big hopes for these
>>
>>2434003
>Beans are not fit for human consumption. They are the most toxin filled thing that people regularly eat.

Source on this claim?
>>
>>2434076
his RAW VEGAN FOOD ass
>>
>>2434072
Not really feasible. As I said I am on a balcony in the city and my balcony doesn't have the kind of ecosystem to support ladybugs. So sadly, they would just leave, maybe after eating some aphids, maybe not.
I also plan on planning my balcony better next year to have some natural repellants in the mix, but this year is this year, so I am testing stuff out.
>>
>>2434075
how long does it take to grow form seed to that?
>>
>>2434078
Ladybugs always leave unless you release them in an enclosed environment like a greenhouse, depending on the amount and cost, if you’re not willing to use a pesticide, you could release some ladybugs in a few applications.
>>
File: file.jpg (247 KB, 1512x2016)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>2434075
get some napa cabbage and carrots then make kimchi. i just did my first try today
>>
>>2434080
4 months i think
i can´t grow radishes in my yard at all because they will all be full of worms but now that i planted 70 of these i have made up for the past 3 years atleast
>>
>>2434085
thank you i definitely will give it a try
>>
>>2434088
np. you can also pickle it and have with a bunch of different things
>>
File: bIMG_7812.jpg (357 KB, 1000x825)
357 KB
357 KB JPG
I noticed a few of my tomato plants were starting to bow at the bottom from the weight so I had to tie some string to the cages for support.
>>
>tobacco plants actually grew really well
>have been cutting off leaves and leaving them on the fence to dry for about a week
>now hanging in the shed
So they're all dry and crumbly now. Do I just crush them up and smoke em?
>>
>>2434106
My tobacco doesent burn well, any ideas?
>>
is there a secret to getting bamboo seeds to grow? Ive taken a bunch from random bamboo plants around town and after placing them in a wet towel, covering them and keeping them moist they just aren't sprouting
>>
File: 20220806_102146~2.jpg (1.46 MB, 2638x4199)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
>>2434085
Looking good.

>>2430858
>>2431939
My pickles are done today thanks to the nice hot weather we've been having. I tried a piece this morning and they're pretty well ready but I left them the rest of today and will put in the fridge this evening. Delicious nearly free probiotics!
>>
>>2434106
>they're all dry and crumbly now
this was my first year growing tobacco as well and what i did was moistening them up to the point when i could lay them to a pile and cut them into thin strips
i smoke a pipe but if you roll them into cigarettes straight up crushing them might do the job

i tried seasoning my 3 or so liters of cut up leaves with some rum after and all it did was making my whole house smell really nice for a while but no change in smoking flavor whatsoever
>>
File: 20220722_175032.jpg (1.05 MB, 1439x1077)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>2434127
forgot the picture
these are some of the leaves that were hanging on my kitchen roof for a few weeks
>>
File: 1659820439102.jpg (1.31 MB, 5184x3456)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>2433885
Spray with some beef bile, alcohol & paraben free baby soap, and/or seaweed/yucca extract to break the surface tension without killing good cultures. Beef bile & baby soap are your cheapest options, the latter two are only if you care about calling the whole process vegan.

Increase the rate of decay by adding fresh cattle or rabbit droppings and keep the pile damp for a few days so the enzymes have a chance to work their way down. Once the cellulose is cut into simpler sugars, it doesn't tend to repel water anymore.
>>
>>2434048
Sow which plants pull up phosphorus from deep in the ground?
>>
>>2434152
Not him but do you know how to process yucca to do that? I'd have to buy beef bile someplace but there's yucca all over.
>>
My father may have killed a pear sapling with B1.
>>
>>2434176
>B1.

wdym
>>
>>2434176
My mother likes to drown every plant until dead or yellow.
>>
>>2434179
B-brother?
>>
>>2434187
>tell her the plants leaves are yellow already and the rest aren't dry or curly, literally full of water
>you can't overwater plants
>mother it's been raining
>pshhh that rain is nothing, it only wets the surface doesn't water anything
>you are pouring it in water, washing away nutrients and creating anaerobic conditions where less beneficial bacteria thrive, I mean do what even gave you the idea that the plants need more water, look at the plant, point tome one single sign
>*silence*
and yet she continues to water everything
It's this mindset that the more you fertilize and the more you water DA BETTER IT GETS!
>>
>>2434179
Mine just forgets and is too lazy to set up an automated system. Or maybe she just wants the joy of hand watering a plant
>>
>>2434170
It doesn't grow natively where I live, but I presume the method is similar to juicing agave or cane, followed by steeping the leaves in hot water to maximize extraction.

As for the bile, if you have a local butcher you could ask for gall bladders a since they might just toss them. Some pelt and leather shops keep bile to treat the hides naturally, so they could sell it by the quart.
>>
>>2429076
Man I just throw everything in the compost. EVERYTHING. Grass clippings, toe nails, egg shells, wood ash, hair, chicken shit and bedding. Your C:N ratio might be wonky as shit causing some nitrification and denitrification but your micros should be fine. Seems to work fine for me.
>>
>>2433866
nope, its equivalents of P2O5, K2O, ect
>>
>>2434176
hey, you still havent explained what is B1
>>
>>2434231
Transplanting formula basically but my dad likes using it in any and every situation.
>>
File: IMG_20220807_053417.jpg (343 KB, 1512x2016)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
>>2434124
thanks, but i think i need to reduce the liquid content of the other veggies next time, it was quite wet and not very red either.
transferred to a smaller container and put a couple tablespoons of whey from my kefir in it, should kickstart the whole thing.

already started to get a tiny tang, and it's perfect heat for me.
>>
File: 20220806_095130~2.jpg (1.49 MB, 3456x3866)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
>>2434560
New thread up
>>
File: IMG_20220806_182412~2.jpg (611 KB, 1920x1080)
611 KB
611 KB JPG
bzzzzzzzz
>>
>>2430858
Insanely Based, Anon. I just made Sauerkraut using only things from my garden (except the salt), and it is delicious!
>>
>>2429889
Just go out to a corn maze this fall and pocket some ears

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.