[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

#448-“Not A Recession*” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>2424017

janny pls…

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

New Bong Fishin Guide
https://pastebin.com/sDB5SQTq

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
First for fly fishing is cringe.
>>
File: IMG_20220730_131730.jpg (168 KB, 362x2225)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
What do you guys think of my steel leader pike rig.
>swivel, double 8
>some space
>double 8, snap, makki hook with a trout shad
>more space
>double 8, swivel+snap, pike shad, removed belly hook
>loop in empty ring, some piece of fc, stone inside makramee
Figured pikes not only bite because of hunger, but also envy and terretorial supremacy. Also gonna add a small coil which will hold scented dough. Can't go fishing often, have to try it
>>
Second for bait fishing is cringe
>>
File: IMG_20220730_131622.jpg (3.49 MB, 4608x3456)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
>>2428962
>trout
I think my double 8 holds sideways better than a butterfly knot. Would say so from my own testing atleast. Maybe butterfly knots don't work well with steel?
>>
File: IMG_20220730_131636.jpg (3.46 MB, 4608x3456)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB JPG
>>2428965
>pike shad
>>
File: IMG_20220730_131802.jpg (3.48 MB, 3456x4608)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB JPG
>>2428966
>makramee stone
>inb4 why not lead
Don't want to fish with lead if possible, what's more natural than a stone? Ofc I can use a heavier lure instead of the pike + stone. Actually posted this stone some threads ago. Used 2 others with the same knot method, ended up losing them after maybe 30 throws. The net ripped open and send the stones flying.
>>
>>2428962
never seen such an elaborate rig for pike
I just have a steel or fluor leader then a lure, swimbaits when casting, crankbait when trolling
>>
>>2428970
haha ye... do you know what the hell heavily urban contested waters are? They suuuuuuuuuck so fucking bad I could vomit. Every rig has been cast a thousand times already by everyone who fishes there and there are many anglers. So all the fish get paranoid and nothing standard works on them anymore. I can't fish elsewhere. You know how fishing should be relaxing and all, right? So you either try out a bit and give up or get lucky after few casts, or you go to the lake before the sun has risen and do some running and fishing in laps around the lake until it' s evening. I'm more of a 'I gonna try it only a bit' guy. Still sucks if you get zero bites while spin fishing after 3 or more fishing trips. Then I fish with worms on bobbers or ground while sitting... meh
>>
There is a stream around an hour from where I live that has brown trout in it according to my state's DNR website. I've gone there about 10 and have never caught one. Is trout fishing really this hard or should I assume the website is wrong? I'm getting tired of driving all that way for nothing
>>
>>2428976
it's mostly about being at the right place at the right time. Saw this 6 year old kid pull like 3 trouts in less than 30 mins once
>>
File: 1659188149648655.jpg (183 KB, 720x942)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
Funni picture
>>
>>2428976
Wild browns can be tricky to pull outta streams. Also, how hot is it where you are?
>>
>>2428976
In my experience trout are finicky biters. I’ve had days where I catch them back to back, and others where I couldn’t pull one of my life depended on it. Fishing moving water presents its own challenges too
>>
File: 20220720_114754.jpg (2.4 MB, 1816x4032)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
>>2428949
>>
>>2429020
Is that Matt?
>>
>>2429084
lol
>>
Is it even worth fishing if you're going to be fishing from the bank at a lake? Feels like there is straight up nothing to catch if it's a lake from the bank.
>>
>>2429084
kek
>>
plz answer >>2427613
>>
>>2429146
Call a rural DMV near you and ask.they might just make you back pay for the registration, or they might need a letter from the seller
>>
>>2429105
there is plenty to catch. you gotta find the good spots. better near sun up and sun down though.
>>
>>2429152
This

That shit varies by state a lot too.
>>
File: 20220730_143950.jpg (2.43 MB, 3264x2448)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
Mojarra have cool mouths
>>
Any tips for someone who wants to switch to barbless hooks?
>>
>>2429256
Always keep tension on the line, use a net where applicable, be prepared to lose fish.
>>
>>2429286
Transcluded from previous thread.
>>
>>2429105
Pretty much >>2429179. Look for structure and cover. Fish love to hang around docks, vegetation, fallen trees, submerged vehicles, and so on. You may also want to fish from the "teeth" of the lake, looking for sudden dropoffs near shore.
>>
>>2429256
My tip is to reconsider using barbless hooks. Either hook those water dogs the old fashioned way or go vegan, at the end of the day you’re participating in a hobby which revolves around tricking and animal and piercing it’s body with a sharp instrument and then reeling it up into the air. Weird place to draw a line imo
>>
>>2429152
ok thanks
>>
>>2429256
Give the hook tip a small cheeky bend so the point is no longer in line with the shank. I don't know why, probably ork magic, but it keeps fish on longer compared to hooks that don't have the bend. Some barbless hooks already have them, though, like those big river and owner no escape hooks.

>>2429344
It makes sense when you are dealing with fisheries that have pretty low returns and are fragile like trout & steelhead where ideally you don't even bring them out of the water if you don't intend of keeping them
>>
>>2429344
I kind of get the mentality that goes into barbless hooks, though, at least for catch and release fishing. Barbless hooks are less injurious to the fish, and a less injured fish is one that more likely goes on to get bigger and make lots of other fish for us to catch later. Avoidance of wasting the fish, basically.
>>
Never expected that Tenkara fishing would actually work, but I caught two brook trout in 15 minutes of fishing
>>
File: PhotoGrid_1659233086101.jpg (3.19 MB, 2048x2730)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB JPG
Finally landed a Cab that broke 20", this one came in at 21" , had to bring it up the rocks by hand, also landed a 15" cab, 2 rock greenlings, 1 black rockfish, and 1 small Lingcod. took a friend I met through work and he landed a 25" Lingcod, and around 18" Cabezon and a few other fish, it was the first time fishing together. I'm glad we both did good. All fish today were caught on a weedless Texas rig, mine were caught using the Berkley Gulp grubs, and my friend was using what looked like keitechs.
>>
>>2429344
i get both sides but honestly barbless hooks loose so many fucking fish, especially predators that will aggressively react.
>>
File: lakjlfjd.jpg (426 KB, 1400x1050)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
>>2428949
Anyone here ready for ABLIE SEASON!!!!!
>>
>>2429460
How do you like the Okuma SST for surf casting?
>>
File: IMG_0780.jpg (1.11 MB, 3024x4032)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
Look at this dumb retard, laugh at him (Also no clue what the fuck this is but caught in Far North Queensland, Australia
>>
>>2429344
It just makes things easier when the hook comes off no problem. Everybody has been in the situation where the hook goes through the fishes mouth and then trough the thread of your net and the tangle nightmare is ready.
>>
File: unnamed (2).jpg (82 KB, 900x900)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Opinions on Googan
>>
File: FB_IMG_1631827800326.jpg (116 KB, 1080x720)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>2428962
This looks like the workings of a madman
>>
>>2429537
its generally very high quality
i have two googan bass rods
>>
>>2429541
yeah but what the fuck is that thing in your picture
>>
>>2429537
Shit brand. Chinese shit rods and shit reels. Aliexpress lures for premium prices. Stay away. If you ever meet a guy over the age of 18 and loves Googan products, that's a big red flag.
>>
>>2429587
goes to show how much you know, i bet you use a shimano
>>
>>2429464
not really once you get good. going barbless does make your skill increase drastically. no more mindlessly horsing fish in. you have to really fight the fish with the rod(as intended) and always have the right angle, tension, and anticipate direction change of the fish. plenty of fish can throw a barbed hook anyways. If I'm fishing for food, I use barbed... if I'm fishing just to enjoy the outdoors and release, I go barbless whenever I can. gut hooks and eye hooks are gonna happen here and there, and barbless makes it easy to get the hook out without killing the fish. also, when those pesky lil dinks or panfish take a larger hook, you don't destroy their mouth to get it out.
>>
>>2429788
if I was catching uneatable garbage fish like bass I'd probably go barbless too
>>
>>2429537
Yeah it's junk. Just drop shipped aliexpress bottom tier
>>
How do you kill your fish /out/bros?
>>
>>2429809
Let them suffocate
>>
>>2429809
blow em up like a balloon
>>
>>2429809
>hit on head with closed folding knife
>unfold knife
>stab heart
>gut
>put fishie in my cooling box
>>
>>2429467
I have only used it to rockfish from shore. I don't have much experience with casting rods, this is my second one, first one was a Daiwa North Coast rod and I'm liking the Okuma SST more, you can find them both for around the same price point and both come in a bunch of different sizes and actions. I like the SST more because its a little stiffer, seems stronger and with a slightly better build, and there is a locking nut that keeps the reel seat tight and prevents it from coming loose
>>
15 foot canoe, what size electric trolling motor and battery should i look into?
>>
>>2429809
Why kill it? Throw a hook into its back and toss it in with the current, then wait for a monster.
>>
>>2429901
Nice. I'm thinking about trying something similar for surf lure fishing
>>
>>2429796
nice try... not talking about lmb. I give the LEAST fuck about LMB because they are allowed to exist in huge numbers due to bass boomers acting as if they are the sacred cow.
>>
>>2429809
Stab them in the brain and cut their throats.
>>
>>2429904
doesn't matter. they all have the same top speed. the only reason to go for more thrust is if you are going to be constantly going against current. just get the minn kota endura 30lb with 30" shaft. for the battery, obviously lithium is lighter and you can drain them close to empty without losing power the lower the charge goes... but if you can't afford that, get the Walmart EverStart 29DC. it's only like 8lbs heavier than the 24/27 and way more run time.
>>
File: 123135454134213.jpg (119 KB, 1080x763)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
Do you use a wire leader if you're using hard lure like jerkbait?
>>
>>2429970
yes, but as an eu I always use a leader
>>
>>2429433
tightline fishing is fun
>>
I haven't fished for like 15 years, can you advise on how do I pace my spinning speed? It always confused me as a kid. I'm visiting a lake for pike and zander if it helps.
>>
>>2430035
I alway set it so when I give my lure a decent tug in the water it doesn't reel and adjust it on the fly when something bites.
As long as its tight enough to set the hook but not too tight for a big catch to not make it spin. If you cant tug it by hand it's probably too tight unless its a really big momma
>>
Yurofag here. The cheap Decathlon sets any good? Fished a bit with my dad back in the day but practically a newbie, trying to get more out of solo trips.
>>
>>2430053
I'd say go to a local fishing store, you'd get a better set for the same money and the people working there can actually help you pick something fitting for what you are going to fish
>>
>>2430057
Good point lol. I'll head on over before my next trip and see what they have.
>>
god damnit I keep losing monster groper, upped my line to 48lb and they still biting through the shit with ease.
big bluey almost pulled me in the water today I was hanging over the edge one hand on the rod type shit.
caught a shark and something for lunch though so thats good enough for today..
>>
>>2429809
By guthooking them most of the time, sometimes gillhooking. Damn white perch and freshwater drum, why do they kill themselves?
>>
>>2430156
Did you try not trying to set the hook after every nibble?
>>
I hiked about 20 miles this weekend to try to catch some golden trout and got skunked! I’ve never had so many fish follow my fly without one taking. It probably happened 30 times. I know goldens are finicky, but I can’t believe that not a single one bit. Maybe the heat turned them off of feeding, maybe they were leader shy (I was using 4x), or maybe they were keyed in on a specific food source that I couldn’t match. I’ll have to give it another try in a few weeks.
>>
Why do people prefer floppy rods for float fishing? This seems to be a running theme of float fishing. I don't get it. I've used floats before and it hasn't been apparent to me.
>>
File: sockeye.jpg (85 KB, 724x438)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
haven't been here lately, been fishing (go figure)

caught fuckin 9 today, 8 sockeye and one coho, the last day of dipnetting, what a day! the fish were beautiful, they weighed like 80 pounds all together, my freezer is full after a long dipnetting season

really happy about it all.........alaska is the land of bounty! the coho was a monster today, almost knocked me over when he hit my net, what a day!
>>
>>2430288
My sister and her boyfriend are visiting and they have caught a load of fish "flipping" too (google sockeye flossing)

It has been a bountiful year on the kenai river, king salmon are fucked but wow the sockeye are at record levels and they are so great to eat.

They used to laugh about alaska and it being some barren wasteland, but they have changed their tune since they've seen our fish bounty
>>
>>2430292
I caught a king salmon the other day in Washington. I think they're all hatchery fish here though
>>
>>2430304
kings are shut down on the kenai, i'll probably buy a boat to go catch them
>>
>>2430265
Because you dont need the sensitivity and lure working properties of a fast action rod. You should always use as slow rod as you can because its better when fighting the fish.
>>
the last days were pretty hot including today
so what to do?
slow or fast jigging for perch?
>>
>>2430444
Slow
>>
>>2429970
You shouldn't use wire leader ever
>>
Well I'm back in ohio lads.
>>2429809
Stab em in the brain
>>2430156
Circle hooks, they can be had down to very small sizes.
>>2430209
What fly were you using?
>>2430265
Floppier rods are better for fighting fish on lighter line and keeping small hooks pegged. They also load on their own weight allowing light/small rigs to be cast easier. It's one of the main reasons I prefer fiberglass fly rods.
>>
>>2429567
Circle tooth shrimp
They can be up to 3F
>>
>>2430493
> what fly were you using?
I tried pretty much everything I had. Black and olive wooly buggers, olive and pink scuds, a variety of nymphs, San Juan worms, and chironomids. The wooly buggers and the scuds got the most follows.
>>
>>2428976
Git gud
>>
>>2430492
You mean you should always use wire leader if you can? Pure fluorocarbon is totally overrated leader material unless you use some gimmick super ultra finesse rig in crystal clear water. Quality steel leaders can easily last multiple seasons and are a lot thinner than fluoro. Knottable wire stuff is the best kind.
>>
>>2428949
Trips on a good trolling setup? I've been trolling with me mum and brothers on our little 12 foot for a while, haven't had super great results.

Rod/line/lure/bait/fish finder reccs? Mostly trying to get trout, salmon, ect
>>
How to catch a big white bass? I catch small ones all day long. Do the bigguns not hang out with the lil ones or something?
>>
>>2429146
i remember that same thing beign asked atleast 3 times during last 2 years
either it is the same anon with some problems handling his affairs or registering a boat is an actual thing that you have to do in some parts of the world
>>
File: b9a84a51.jpg (128 KB, 1500x1020)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>2429809
>pull out fish
>throw it aside on the ice
>collect when no more fish
>repeat 10-60 times on different holes
>go home
>fish are dead
works every time
>>
>>2428949
Any bros here who have fishfinders? Which one should I get?
>>
>>2430640
Thats dumb. You should always bleed the fish to get the best quality of meat. Also you should never let it complitely freeze because that also lowers quality.
>>
File: 20220716_191513.jpg (3.53 MB, 3325x1731)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
>>2429809
>Hold fish upside down and smack it's head very hard on a rock a few times to stun it
>knife through the brain/brainstem to make it not feel pain anymore and stop flopping
>gut it from ass to gills, cutting across the vein of one of the gills to bleed it out
>remove all organs immediately
>and there's your dead and clean fish

The most humane and the safest way overall. You don't want it to be flopping while your cleaning it, so the brain blow is neccesary.

Don't let rigor mortis set it if it's not bled or gutted yet either. Stringers are kind of fucked, so I'm usually bopping trout on the head or just killing and cleaning them entirely these days before they go on it.
>>
I lost a lure today. It was a cheap one but I'm still assmad about it. Got stuck on a rock or something under the water and I couldn't shake, yank, or wiggle it free. That should've been my sign I was gonna get skunked.
>>
>>2429809
Just clip the gill, bleed it for 10 or 2 seconds, then throw it on ice
>>
>>2430661
Canoe, kayak, or boat? Do you want Nav? Do you want spotlock and autopilot? Do you want 3D Sonar?

I have a Humminbird Helix 9 G4N for my boat and a Garmin Echomap Plus 43cv for the canoe, I would be comfortable recommending either, but they aren’t necessarily the best choice for you.
>>
>>2430727
I got a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat
>>
>>2430624
What kind of water are you trolling in? (Depth, natural lake, reservoir, river, estuary, bay, etc)
>>
>>2430729
Are you the trolling guy? What’s your budget? Can you easily mount up a front mount trolling motor?
>>
Replied to old thread, boosting.
>>2429886
30-60 lbs thrust.
>>2430415
Electric trolling motors are seldom rated in horsepowers.
>>
>>2430732
Wide variety of depths, I'm in BC so you got some deep lakes, some shallow ones. All natural lakes though.

>>2430742
Front mount trolling motors is a thing?
>>
>>2430770
>Front mount trolling motors is a thing?
most boats with a seperate trolling motor mount it in front
>>
>>2429809
bonk on the head with the back of my kabar, then cut the gills. I hold them in the water until blood stops coming out.
>>
>>2430773
We just have a cheap little aluminum 12 footer with an electric motor on the back. Doubt we could mount it up front desu
>>
I bought this shit but it has no weight labels. what the weights on this?
>>
>>2430787
Clockwise from the top>
Light
heavier
very heavy
not so heavy
medium
>>
>>2430779
The principal advantage of a front mount is autopilot.

Autopilot with rear mounted motors requires much more expensive hardware. What are you looking to spend? I’ve helped kit out a friend with a 12 foot Vhull and while it’s not as fast or as spacious as my boat, the main advantage of my boat is it is more comfortable hauling the gear you need for multi day trips.
>>
>>2430787
Buy a reloading scale or a drug scale.
>>
>>2430661
Garmin Striker 4 is one of the goto budget ones.
>>
>>2430793
Echomap Plus 4 is worth the upgrade, having maps in memory is a massive usability improvement for head units. Trying to use a phone app for contour maps sucks.
>>
>>2430789
Hmmmm. Well, our current boat is only set up for back mount. And it makes the most sense for us with where we keep the batteries. It looks like it wouldn't be too hard to set up a front mount I guess? Do you need autopilot to use a fishfinder or is it just a nice feature?
>>
>>2430790
Or, you know, a kitchen scale. You should own one of those anyway.
>>
File: 1 kalastus 88.jpg (79 KB, 700x700)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>2430787
this has puzzled me easily for over a decade now
why do some people concentrate so much on how much their lures/whatever weight and have the need to mention them at every turn
since i was a child i was always taught just to use spinning reel with rod and when i used lightweight lure i could put a small weight on the line and i had the idea that this was the basic idea everyone had

i own flyfishing rods too and am aware of the different rods but it just baffles my mind why do people have the urge to mention if they got this and this fish on 10gram or 15gram version of this and this lure like it is a thing

maybe it is just something people who are new and overly excited about fishing always do
>>
>>2430815
Volume measurements are faster and good enough and therefore superior.
>>
>>2430787
1/8 3/16 1/4 3/8 1/2 if none of them are the same size
>>
>>2430633
this is the first time ive asked
>>
>>2430811
You don’t need autopilot to use a fish finder, fishfinders existed for decades before GPS and autopilot trolling motors, but using a front mount and autopilot reduces your workload as the captain, which means you can focus more on fishing and less on controlling the boat. But while autopilot gps front mount trolling motors you control with your chart plotter get cheaper every year and are less money (and a better investment) than a decent gas outboard, they are still major investments (the floor is currently somewhere around $1500). You absolutely can still spend buckets less than that if you stick to a manual tiller control trolling motor (a perfectly good chart plotter with fish finder can be quite cheap if you don’t want all of the latest wiz bang high definition sonar bells and whistles), but the sky is the limit if you want to spend the money.

My boat started life as an 18 foot Crestliner rowboat, but I’ve got my big screen at the captains position, my old screen acting as a slave up front for passengers to look at (or for me to use if I’m on the casting platform I made), a conventional and dual side scanning transducer on the transom, and a 360° 3D imaging transducer on the trolling motor, which is controlled by remote, by the chart plotter, or by Bluetooth (which I never use). So when I’m trolling, I can look ahead of the boat and change my heading if I think my spread is going to miss a school I see on the 360° transducer. I can also tell the boat to follow the depth contour I want to fish with the chart plotter, and then the only thing I need to do, except fish, is make sure I’m not running anyone over. I can also run diagnostics on my outboard or set up my chart plotter to display a gauge panel for my outboard.

And as expensive as all of this gear and the networking equipment needed was, it is still less than I spent on a good condition used 50 hp outboard, so it’s not exactly unaffordable for a regular Joe.
>>
>>2430836
Well, probably not looking to spend buckets considering our boat is worth like $1k lol. If we're not going to go with an autopilot motor what's the best budget fish finder?

Also, weighted line color coded to depth is a thing, right? Should I get some of that?
>>
>>2430632
They do but honestly I'd recommend upping the size of your lures. It sucks, I know because you loose the more common hooking of regular whities, and that's frankly I only spent a year or two as an angler targeting trophy sized bass - including whites. But if you want big fish you need bigger lures. Again keep in mind I'm a Hoosier on a reservoir so no telling if my strategies for success will carry over but once I got some big deep diving lures I'd nab the big guys once and a while. Depending on when yours are spawning that'll also help.
>>
File: 1656354639515.png (1.15 MB, 1023x1022)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>2430817
you wrote all that for a simple question? consider killing yourself
>>
>>2429587
>>2429805
>>
>>2430817
It's... a descriptive characteristic of the lure???

Not much to think about it although it can be a good way to communicate what size of fish you were going for as well as the rod you were using.

1/32 oz - 1/8 oz - Panfish and planter trout

1/4 oz - 1/2 oz - Bass

1+ oz - Bigass Bass, striper, saltwater fishing.
>>
>>2430817
people get too caught up on numbers because its easier to explain and reference than experience, and determining not heavy enough, heavy enough, and too heavy by feel
>>
>>2430880
this makes sense
it´s just something to hang on to and talk about, nothing wrong about that
>>
I'm heading to Bass Pro tomorrow for a new spinning reel and rod for Florida peacock bass. I've been using a Penn combo from Walmart for a few years and I'd like something nicer. Price isn't all that important but I'd like to keep it under $600. Any recommendations?
>>
>>2430924
Shimano stradic 3000, whatever medium/mh rod you like, 15-20lb 8 strand braided line, assorted flourocarbon for leaders 8 to 25lb
>>
>>2430841
Weighted line (lead core) is the cheapest (initial cost) way to troll deep at lowish speeds in still water. I prefer using a line counter reel to trying to remember what color is what depth. I have some Okuma Magda line counter reels on cheap (Berkley Cherrywood) casting rods loaded with lead core. To help make your spread a little "bigger" I recommend using two different weights of lead core (which creates different trolling angles) and two different lengths of rod (which creates a natural difference in distance from hull). I have two downriggers on the back of my boat as well, which get the baits down much quicker off of the end of the boat than the lead core does, which allows me to fish 6 baits spaced far enough apart that you don't really have to real them all in when one hooks up unless you hook a monster and it decides to pinwheel its way in, but if you don't want to invest in downriggers, you could fish 4 lines just fine with lead core, and maybe you could get some big 3 piece 12+ footers to widen the spread further if you wanted to run 6 lines of just lead core.

As for the sonar, If you think you'll ever want to get into trolling motor automation (even if it's on another boat in the future, I recommend Humminbird. Sure, you can get most or all of the functionality of the Johnson Outdoors I-Pilot Link system from other brands, but it's either going to wildly more expensive (Garmin) or a bunch of adapters and hacked together systems (Lowrance). If you're sure you will never need that, pick the sonar features you want (high resolution, side imaging, 360 imagining, steerable imagining, etc) a screen size that makes sense for the space you have (be warned, however, the Helix 8 is the same case as the Helix 9, but with just a bit more bezel).
Garmin Echomap Plus 43 I use canoeing is great, but I chose it for its smallness, and if you want a bigger screen, there are more economic options from Lowrance and Humminbird.
>>
File: gldksw.jpg (80 KB, 600x450)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>2428949
>make 100 set assist hook
>me wan $520
>he wan $400
>easy job ok agree
>finish
>guy paypal $100 extra
>$500 he pay
>note say "tip"
>I give smile face
>note say thankyou
>>
File: biospawns.jpg (596 KB, 2000x1500)
596 KB
596 KB JPG
looking for feedback on my finesse bass setup:

lew's wally marshal ML/Fast rod, lew's laser SG 300 spinning reel, 6lb flouro

I usually throw light ned rigs and weightless texas rigs
>>
>>2430989
Lew's is shit. They buy chink OEM gear and throw their logo and branding on it.
>>
Whenever some boomer fisher gives me "tips" where to cast or what to do I just disregard it. Their shit don't work.
>>
File: 20220731_213329.jpg (3.65 MB, 4000x1800)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
>go fishing with friend
>he catches a small trout, maybe 300g
>unhooks it and starts fishing again without killing the fish
>ask him wtf why
>"it tastes better this way"
ffwd to another time when we went fishing
>he doesn't catch anything
>i caught 2 or 3 and asked if he wanted the biggest one, cuz I was gonna put it back if not
>"yea"
>kill it and clean it immediately
>about an hour later we're back at his place
>first thing he does is put the fish in the fucking freezer
>>
>>2429796
What's wrong with bass?
>>
>>2431034
What is the problem? I also put them in the freezer.
>>
File: BitchassWrestler.jpg (42 KB, 623x627)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>2429617
>tfw i have a googan lure on a shimano reel
>>
>>2431040
It boggles my mind why he would insist on letting fish suffocate to death to enhance its flavor like he's Gordon Ramsay and then accept fresh caught trout as a gift from me, his friend, only to throw it in the freezer.
>>
File: +804849.jpg (658 KB, 1800x990)
658 KB
658 KB JPG
man i love alaska!!!!!!! i've filled two freezers with fish now, not only do i have all free winter protein but my chickens have winter food too!.................wow wow wow, I cannot believe the bounty this year!

we're not even close to being done either, I can't fish with nets anymore but wow the sporty boys (rod/reel) are killing it, I really want to catch some pinks/coho and store even more.

I don't mind freezing hundreds of fish because I will NEVER waste one part, I obviously eat the amazing flesh but my chickens eat EVERYTHING I don't eat and hot damn their feathers are SHIMMERING after they get some fish in the winter and they are so happy.

I'm very lucky to live here.
>>
>>2431063
Sounds nice
>>
>>2430924
$100-200 nice jap reel
$80-150 nice rod
$200-300 8-10wt fly combo
>>
>>2429467
>>2429901
I had two of them until the wind blew my truck door shut and snapped 3" off the top. They're great for the price, can't think of a better rod at that price point.
I replaced the broken one with a Lamiglas X11. It's a lot more sensitive than the Okuma but it's a like $30 more depending on where you buy it.
>>
File: IMG_1149.jpg (28 KB, 182x593)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>2430989
what do you mean? you already bought it? is that the blue and green rod?
>>2431029
Lews IM8 rods are nice actually. Plus, even most $150 rods from manufacturers are made in China.
>>
which species is more agressive
bass or perch?
>>
>>2431224
Perch
>>
>>2431229
really?
why the fuck do i catch nothing then?
>>
i'm interested in buying a fish finder for my little tin boat with a 9.9 i just bought. It will be my first i've bought. I just don't really understand what i'm looking for. Do i want depth sounders and sonar? Sonar/GPS? Transducer? Or do I need a combination? Any ideas of reasonably priced items/combos?
>>
>>2431232
Wrong lures, wrong time of day, poor selection of casting spot and target, bad weather for it, Poseidon doesn't like you. Could be any of those.
>>
>>2431234
reeee
>>
>>2431224
when I find bass (look for swarms of minnows around fallen trees) i'll pull in 10-15 in under an hour, sometimes over 30. When they're active hunting the minnows they'll be jumping around like crazy. When I find perch it's like rock bass fishing and I pull up one after the other but, usually shallow in the weeds with a jig and a worm but I hardly get any decent keeper size
>>
>>2431233
It's pretty much an all in one nowadays unless you wanna get fancy. Gps/sonar combo and a transducer + battery and you should be good.
>>
Gonna learn how to set a trot line which seems simple enough, any particular things to avoid?
>>
>>2431224
I’d give it to perch because of their relative size compared to a bass. I’ve caught so many green sunfish on bass jigs and large creature baits
>>
>>2431285
>I’ve caught so many green sunfish on bass jigs and large creature baits
What does that have to do with perch?
>>
>>2431296
Green sunfish are a species of perch and are notoriously aggressive. They will hit lures that are as big as they are. What doesn’t it have to do with them?
>>
>>2431302
Perch are Percidae and Green Sunfish are Lepomis. In fact Green Sunfish are genetically closer to Largemouth Bass than perch, so that's what it doesn't have to do with perch.
>>
>>2431304
All the panfish species I’ve heard many people refer to as perch. Guess I’ve learned bad information
>>
>>2431224
Don't know about bass, but perch would rather kill themselves than letting another perch eat
>>
File: 1659466281573.jpg (1021 KB, 1221x1242)
1021 KB
1021 KB JPG
>greetingssssssss fellow angler
>>
>>2431306
All bass, sunfish, and perch are part of the Perciformes order, but so are 800lbs grouper.
Boomers really should just call all the small fish panfish I agree.
>>
File: BIG.jpg (816 KB, 1832x1374)
816 KB
816 KB JPG
white perch are just as easy to catch as sunfish species. i dunno about other perch though. they will hit lots of different types of lures. green sunfish are the best though because of the way they attack. they ambush from cover. even the tiny ones are hyper aggressive. they are also the coolest due to their shape. like a little smallmouth. this is the biggest one I've caught, and I should have weighed/measured it because it was definitely very close to the state record.
>>
File: Turtle.jpg (840 KB, 1538x1962)
840 KB
840 KB JPG
Here is a dink greenie. Lots of them at my local lake. Haven't caught a big one in a long time though.
>>
File: P_20220802_132556.jpg (1019 KB, 1125x2000)
1019 KB
1019 KB JPG
big ray at the docks today
>>
Anyone ever use the sex dungeon steamer? Is it as good as they say?
>>
File: 1512227145640.png (91 KB, 400x333)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
I bought a zebco telescopic rod to try last weekend. Didn't catch anything but I had fun
>>
>>2431338
What did you do with it once you landed it? Looks like its tail was cut, did you do that?
>>
What are y'alls preferred fishing youtubers?
>>
>>2431394
I let it go. Dunno what happened to the tail, it wasn't bleeding when I pulled it up from the net so it was probably an old wound
>>
>>2431396
Nowadays I only watch Marlingbaits once a week.
Used to watch some boomer in my country catch pikes with his buddy for less than 10.000 views, but I have dropped him ever since he only started making carp fishing videos
>>
>>2431396
ZephyrFishing. Guy reviews literally every east coast fishing spots, gives tips on what kind of tackle to use, what to watch out for (obscure parking codes, paid entry passes, etc).
AFishermansLife for no-nonsense, non-paid shilling gear reviews and fishing tips.
[spoiler]HeySkipper as an honorable mention, despite him being a chink ass jew who tries to sell you overpriced shit every video, only because his vids are high-quality and legit has some great beginner tips like how to tie knots and how to fish jetties[/spoiler]
>>
>>2429537
They mostly appeal to zoomers. That being said, I don’t entirely hate their rattling ned soft plastics l, but it’s not enough for me to like them as a brand.
>>
>>2431396
Morningtide Fishing is pretty fun to watch. Not that it has much in common with the fishing I do. If you're into shore jigging the autistic nips at Palms fishing can be informative too.
>>
>>2431396
Enjoy Fishing Channel
Lurecafe Channel
>>
>>2431396
Fishing Florida waters is pretty good
>>
File: floridatranswaters.png (1.84 MB, 1400x790)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB PNG
>>2431416
he fell off when he started copying femboyfishing
>>
>>2429537
I assume it's just the cheapest chinese brand of baits. I've never used them before. Cheap chinese hardbaits are usually pretty good, but I'd stay away from their soft plastics if they're not salted or scented.
>>
>>2431396
Hey skipper. He's got asian genes which makes him a fish magnet. Likes to hawk his shit (squid... but SALTED?!) but as a novice east coast surf fisherman, I learned a few basic techniques from him to get me started.
>>
what’s the deal with Bobby Garland soft plastic crappie lures? you can get one or two good hook sets on them and then they just tear up and fall off.
>>
>>2431396
Richard Gene fishing machine, I don’t know why but it’s fun to watch.

extreme Philly fishing’s alright as well, he’s got that same kind of acting as Richard Gene.

realistic fishing’s also pretty good.
>>
>>2431400
>HeySkipper
That fucking chink has the worst videos on distance casting I've ever seen.
>>
>>2431034
I always put the fish in the freezer to kill any parasites.
>>
>>2431430
Yeah but his gf is suspiciously cute
>>
File: 20210517_184058.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>2431374
I've caught fish on em
>>
>>2431031
Boomer tips are usually from 40 years ago when game fish populations were much more prevalent and easy to catch than they are now. Basically every fish worth targeting now has restrictions on size and quantity to undo the damage done by our ancestors.
>>
>>2431438
That’s usually how it goes. A lot of those same boomers will go on and on about how they only like using live baits because that’s all that works, but they make lures that can do a good job imitating baitfish.
>>
>>2431419
Try out their plastics they have everything you want And cheap
>>
>>2431477
but anon, are they salted or scented? I am autistic about only buying salted or scented soft plastics because I think flavor is important.
>>
>>2431396
Catch magazine makes some high-quality flyfishing videos
>>
Went out pokepoling today and got myself a nice MFE and brown rockfish. Many shorts, including a cabezon. Still no success on keitechs this year though. Will be out on the high tide this saturday morning for my striper of the year so I can stop grinding. Been striper skunked 8+ outings now.
>>
>>2430817
One of the dumbest posts I've read on here, tbqh.
>>
anyone from these boards going to this?
>>
>>2431567
are you at a jetty?
>>
Had a moderately productive day today in Washington. A bunch of juvenile fish and two keeper Coho

>>2431311
Nerodia fasciata
>>2431166
I just messed with the x11 the other day. It's a really nice rod. Maybe I'll get one
>>2431302
>Green sunfish are a species of perch
No they aren't...
>>2431396
EliasVfishing
>>
>>2431620
>Maybe I'll get one
I recommend them. The SST is still a good rod and I'll still use it, but the Lami is only slightly more expensive and just that much better. Guide select pro might be more of a fair comparison but I've never even held one.
>>
>>2431620
>>2431634
Can confirm. The 9' medium heavy (10-20 lb rated, not sure if its produced anymore) spinning version of the X-11 is basically perfect for catching salmon and steelhead casting spoons and spinners. Sensitive enough to drift spoons down a run and be able to tell apart fish from rock, yet stiff enough dig a hook deep into a king salmon's soft lips. Watch out for the guides and their inserts, though. If you are an idiot like me, they will bend and a few of the inserts will disappear during the rod's lifetime, though the blank itself is sturdy and will last with good care.
>>
>>2431643
>sensitive yet stiff enough
That's what I love about it. I have the casting 8'6" Heavy/Fast, 12 to 25 lb 1/2 to 1 1/2. Got it for trolling twitching hair jigs for salmon, but I use it a lot throwing paddle tails for walleye also.
How did you bend your guides and lose the inserts?
>>
>>2431396
I like Fish Your Way. Video quality isn't great but you get a lot of tips from his videos and he seems like a real nice guy.
>>
>>2431399
Love that dude. It's the perfect mix of carpentry and fish. He's a real fuckin artist
>>
>>2431396
Marling Baits and John Skinner.
>>
>>2431620
I think it's actually Nerodia sipedon
>>
>>2431428
Extreme Philly Fishing and Creek Fishing Adventures is the best. They both enjoy fishing for all fish species, and do stuff the average guy would do, like creek wading.
>>
File: 1659546288048.jpg (2.14 MB, 3728x1694)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
Nothing beats sight fishing in the sewers! Caught my first tessellated darter down there yesterday.
>>
Pulling an all nighter on the river tonight bros, wish me luck
>>
>>2431437
what is that? it looks like an outmigrating steelhead
>>
>>2431898
I got work to do, I'm trying to go sockeye fishing tonight myself
>>
>>2431892
Monkeypox
>>
>>2431892
Fishing in the sewers? Do you live in the nier automata universe?
>>
Good day today salmon fishing in Washington

>>2431863
How can you tell
>>2431898
Good luck
>>
>>2432022
Nice, looks over 20 man thats a decent amount of meat. I wish I could afford a decent columbia river worthy boat without taking on a second fucking mortgage.
>>
File: 20220803_105412.jpg (3.49 MB, 4032x3024)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
>>2432044
I am in a boat club so I just pay a monthly fee and can use one any day
It's about a 10lb fish, mostly camera trickery haha
>>
>>2432022
It's the only water snake in my state
>>
>>2432057
>mostly camera trickery
Ah OK now I see you leaning back and holding the fish out forward. I need to look for one of those boat clubs I didn't even know that existed. I'm in lake umatilla section of the river so it might not exist here.
>>
>>2431396
I mostly watch rockfishing from my area so for me it's
-fishermans life
-philosophy D
-the master baiter
-the dink daddy
-hookafish
>>
>>2432022
Why is your rod bent. Do you have another one hooked?
>>
>>2431864
the creek wading is my favorite part, I love going in with ultra light gear and trying to catch tiny fish.
>>
>>2432125
Downrigger
>>
I have no friends to share this with so here you go, an old guy being kinda funny cute blogposting to a fish picture group.
>>
>>2432196
and I forgot the picture
>>
File: 20220803_213549.jpg (868 KB, 1044x3428)
868 KB
868 KB JPG
Rate the new rod boys
>>
>>2429105
Fish the bottom
>>
>>2432198
Cool Vern
>>
>>2432210
The bottom eye should be a bit larger if you plan on using a spinning reel with it. Otherwise, it look like a fun way to catch fish.
>>
>>2431987
No, I make the hobos down there wear full hazmat suits when they rail me.
>>2431990
Yes, the United States of America.
>>
>>2432210
looks alright besides the fucky modern reel.
>>
File: s (5).jpg (327 KB, 1200x1600)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>>
>>2432228
Good idea, i think i'll swap out the hardware because the reel is broken. It is a fun rod, especially since it's like 11 feet long
>>2432235
I think i'm going to try putting on something that fits the aesthetic. I thought i could repair the reel but what I thought were two separate parts are actually one part perfectly sheared in half and i'm just not about it
>>
Me and my dad going king salmon fishing for the first time in a few days. Any tips? Gonna be like 50-100 feet of water.
>>
File: 20220804_045819.jpg (3.72 MB, 4032x3024)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
How in the fuck
I'm lucky i never used this piece of shit
>>
>>2432447
shame because it looks like quite an attractive snack..
>>
>>2432239
god i wanna lick the sweat off between dem titties
>>
>>2431662
>How did you bend your guides and lose the inserts?
By bumping into shit, having it slide off the wall and landing on the guides, falling on the rocks while fishing on a jetty, etc. Compared to other rods like the SST in my experience, the X-11 has very malleable guides and sometimes a light bump can bend the guides inward.
>>
>>2430817
Because if I use a 3/8oz lure on my 1/4oz rod I'll snap it in half
>>
File: 1658579191923133.jpg (81 KB, 842x792)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
i'm currently in north Italy (north east i'd say)
i have tried the 2 biggest rivers in the region and holy shit, is this place dead or am i that bad? not a single trout. I'm actually not even seeing the fish
i'm moving up and down both rivers and still no luck
i'd ask other fishermen (the few i've seen) but they're old men and only speak Italian
on top of that every tract of water is licensed to thirds that want an annual fee (there's no way any one is actually paying for it but still)
any italiananon here that can shed some light? are the rivers dead? wrong season? am i just shit?
>>
File: 1657377376982.png (1.43 MB, 1044x1306)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB PNG
i just learnt how fucked up fishing in Germany is
They are quite strict, especially compared to other countries. First you have to get a license. It has a big part of theory, where you have to pass an exam in the end. Afterwards you have to participate on a practical part, where you learn how to kill a fish properly, to knot, to handle a rod. Second you need a permit for that water you want to fish in. But every water is governed by a different fishing club (some clubs have multiple water). But also not every river/lake is open for fishing or guest fishers. Some are only for club members. You only get a permit with a valid license.

Then there are for every water special rules, like allowed methods, different minimum sizes for fish, slightly different closing times (don’t know if it’s translated correctly so: the time where a fish is protected by law, since they are in spawning time).
>>
>>2432527
It has a big part of theory, where you have to pass an exam in the end. Afterwards you have to participate on a practical part, where you learn how to kill a fish properly, to knot, to handle a rod.
fuck i wish this was the rules here
>>
>>2432529
why? where do you live?
also afaik, there's no catch and release in Germany, you MUST kill the fish
on the other hand to answer to the Italian guy above, you basically pay the state and then the fishing club and you MUST release
both retarded
>>
>>2432522
Trout become less active when water temperatures are too warm. It's pretty normal for trout not to bite in the summer time. Come back when the water temperatures are 10°-19°C
>>
>>2432522
Switch your flies / spinners or the colour of whatever you're using often.
Look for deep spots in the water where it's colder or where the water is rushing and try to land your cast behind large rocks or deep spots the fish may be hiding behind/in. Trout are finicky and not the easiest to catch. What trout species are you going for?
>>
>>2432532
>>2432541
listen to these anons but still
i live in the area and it's known that the rivers are dead... the clubs are not up keeping the maintenance and re-population
and be wary, always release
you can only keep Rainbow
>>
File: IMG_20220803_190825.jpg (1.03 MB, 1956x2451)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
Caught my first catfish (channel?) yesterday! 4lb mono test with a trout spinner, was super fun to catch this lil 2.5lb guy. Maybe today I can finally catch a largemouth...
>>
>>2431590
Went Jetty this time. It was surprisingly productive. Possibly because of a weekday and I was the only person out.
>>
>>2432555
shit definitely a blue, not a channel right?
>>
>>2432408
Troll with downriggers or jigs. Hot spot Apex lures work well behind a flasher. We were catching them at about 80-100ft in 150ft of water near the dropoff of a channel. Also learn to identify the difference between the salmon species and how to tell a hatchery from a wild fish, and make sure you know the regulations where you're fishing
>>
>>2432573
or jig*
Obviously don't troll with jigs. 2-4oz in natural baitfish patterns were working. Just don't fish the bottom unless you wanna catch lots of other fish as well
>>
>>2432563
I think it's a channel. Best way to tell is to count the rays on the anal fin
>>
>>2432057
What you got on the right? Kind of looks like a chum with that big eye
>>
File: 658.jpg (61 KB, 1486x888)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>2432527
as a tourist I bought multiple licenses with no tests or instruction classes.
France was 2 licenses, stream/lakes €10 with €20 extra for sea trout. ocean did not require license.
Germany the tourist license was €25 bought from a fishing club we visited. but did read that as a local have to take a test and classes..which truthfully didnt seem too difficult and you get to hang out with the old guys running the program.
Spain needed 2 licenses forget how much it was but it was cheap but we only fished the ocean there.
Ireland was no license required. w limited take.
Portugal was the best setup. buy everything online €30 no paper license everything is on the app.
>>
>>2432584
that's why as a yuro i'm so jelly of NA and Canadian guys on here or youtube
immense lakes, rivers filled with catch, the keyes
meanwhile i have some overfished little stream that requires 2 licenses
>>
>>2432587
>jealous of the NA fishermen
wow you must have it bad then
>>
>>2432587
>one shot at life
>don't live in BC
>Have cottage in northern ontario
I feel sorry for the rest of the world
>>
>>2432527
What more could you expect from the people who popularized fascism?
>>
Ooooooohhh my new 7wt clearwater rod is gonna land today. Gonna do a little night fishing at the lake tonight with some streamers.
>>
>>2429466
Beautiful. What kind of fish is that? Where and how did you catch it?
>>
>>2430988
What are you talking about? You made hooks for a guy and he paid you $500?
>>
>>2432587
our waterways are full of fucking trash. I can trek through a few miles of the densest woods to get to a spot I think not many have gone to(because it's hard to get there) and upon arrival, I'll find beer cans and line all over the place. humans have ruined the natural world. you have to remember that most fisherman aren't like you might be, they don't give a FUCK about litter... just stupid ass boomers and trash who shit up the spots.
>>
File: 20220804_084126.jpg (2.66 MB, 4032x2268)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
Today was a good day anon. I actually caught a whole bunch of shit with a kastmaster for once.
>>
>>2432748
is tht rod what I think it is?
>>
>>2432748
Is this California? FL/SC fag here. I have never caught anything using a spoon. Not once.
>>
File: 20220804_152232.jpg (3.35 MB, 6563x2096)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB JPG
>>2432751
Suzuki black hole 10 foot. Sorry for the sideways picture, phone posts weird.

>>2432767
Yup. San Diego, CA. I didn't believe in spoons in the surf until today.
>>
>>2432773
Suzuki rods are sweet, I use a majorcraft one for calicos and throwing LCs. Works good for shore jigs too.
>>
>>2432773
>>2432767
Up North in bestcal, I have seen people catch some crazy shit using heavy 2-5 oz spoons from the surf. When bait is pushed close to shore by an unseen force and birds are diving just past the 1st set of breakers within casting distance, that's when fish will hit spoons like no tomorrow. I've seen stripers built like a beer keg, a ton of salmon, surfperch that needs to be held with 2 hands, and even pelagic sharks caught on slugging heavy metal. I imagine the sky is the limit when the same beach bait ball scenario happens on the east coast. Bluefin tuna perhaps?? These things don't happen often, so its a perfect opportunity to soak bait or throw jerkbaits/small spoons where fish would hole up in the surf while waiting for the main event.
>>
>>2432704
looks like bonita, type of tuna, doesn't taste real good
>>
File: 1000 (4).jpg (87 KB, 1000x667)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>2432787
>>2432704
false albacore..
>>
>>2431396
Glenn Madden/Professor Salt is who I've been watching lately. Just bought a kayak, so seeing someone's setup that's been doing it for years? decades? off the coast is super helpful. I'm currently being a bitch and only fishing freshwater reservoirs, but I don't think my strength and stamina are ready for open waters yet
>>
>>2432780
Metal jigging is my favorite way to fish the surf in norcal. I fish a Shimano Nessa XR with a stradic.
>>
>>2432780
>>2432767
>>2432748
east coaster here. a 3/4-1oz spoon with pink holographic sticker is my go to surf weapon (or a gotcha plug in the same weight class). Only time I've ever caught spanish mackerel from the beach was with a pink spoon.

>>2431643
I use the 8'6" MS x11 for surf casting with a Penn Spinfisher VI. I wish I got the M or MH instead though. This thing seems to cast best with 5/8-3/4 but casts <1/2oz stuff like dogshit. It's rated 1/4-3/4 and can handle 1oz, but looks really strained doing it. A lot of the time my 3/4oz gear falls just ever so short of where the fish are busting the surface
>>
>>2432933
im in far north bestcal and just started using 3oz hi-low rigs to catch surf perch and its like 5 hours to get one fish, did youtube lie to me, do I need spoons?
the waves are so powerful here I just cant see it
>>
>>2432940
>>2432933
NorCal Bros where are you guys at and do you guys have any spots you recommend for rockfishing from shore? I mostly fish Salt Point Area
>>
Anyone wanna try telling me what the fuck this is?
>>
>>2432964
were you fishing off the coast of fukushima by chance?
>>
>>2432964
Some type of toadfish
>>
>>2432964
That's Reginald.
>>
>>2432940
I like to use 1 oz carolina rig with a 2-3" grub for perch but I mostly fish from pigeon point to stinson. For jigging, I use JigPara 20-32g tungsten for perch. The main thing with perch is location. Find holes in the surf and work them for 30 minutes before going to the next one. This video was really helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tjE9gxQcLI .High tide is best for me but I've also done well 1-2H before low tide.

>>2432946
I'm way more south than you, but pokepoling duxbury on a negative tide is good. My only rockfish have come out of HMB. I'm fairly new to rockfishing and I've had some luck fishing cliffs near SF bay but I'm scared of heights so it's not that enjoyable.
>>
>>2432984
*Rockfish on rod and reel came from HMB. I've also only caught some rubberlips off some cliffs but I'm sure there's rockfish there. I'm much more familiar with surf fishing.
>>
>>2432968
no
>>2432971
we dont have them here in australia, I dont think.
>>
>>2432780
When I'm in Baja the mexicans use spoons for everything.
>>
>>2432964
>>2432971
Concur. Toadfish. I catch them(rarely) in SC(saltwater). Ours look different - we have "oyster toadfish" but there a variety of toadfish all over the world.
>>
>>2432938
What kind of surf are you throwing this spoon in? Clear water? Murky? Dark? Choppy? Flat? I've never tried artificials from the surf. I've fished creeks and lagoons and everything else with them but I've never had any luck with spoons. My most productive artificials are Mirrolures. In addition to the gold or silver spoon, another lure people swear by that I've never had any luck with is the white bucktail jig.
>>
>>2432780
>a perfect opportunity to soak bait
What does this mean?
>>
>>2432488
Good to know fren thanks.
>>
>>2432673
Shut up faggot
>>
>>2432940
Personally I wouldn't bother fishing if the waves are above 5', which is unfortunately often for the far northern section of bestcal (I assume from Gualala to the Oregon border), unless you find a beach adequately sheltered from the brutal northwestern swells. If you insist on fishing despite that, then the key would be to look for rips and the deep troughs (Throw the gear into the clear) between the 1st and 2nd breakers, ideally near some fish attracting structure like a jetty or a rocky outcrop. The gear needed for such conditions is serious business as you would need the narrowest line possible for the application AKA braid and a heavy sinker to keep the line straight and the bait stationary. If the conditions warrant 6-8 ounces, which I've seen madmen use for surfperch, then you might even need a shock leader to get the bait past the breakers. I recommend finding a good beach, study its every nook and cranny during a good low tide for fish hosting structure, and fish it as often as possible to get a deep intuitive feel for it, so even on those bad days you will know what to look for. Also sneaker waves are genuine threat in those conditions ESPECIALLY in the far north. Just a heads up anon.

>>2432946
1. Find a turnout on Hwy 1 between Bodega Bay and Fort Ross
2. Check if it has or is across from a trail that leads to the cliffs
3. Do a very thorough risk assessment, especially if the trail terminates on a rope going straight down onto some rocks
4. Descend
Alternatively, there are the many beaches like Schoolhouse Beach, where they are separated from each other by rocky outcrops which offer access to good rockfishing spots at low or minus tides. The beach next to the Point Arena pier and its rocky crevasses are worth looking into as well.

>>2433028
>What does this mean?
Throw bait into the surf and let it "soak" while you're busy doing fuck all until a fish bites it.
>>
>>2432522
The first two who responded are correct, I'll add a couple things. Most of the work is finding the fish. Check the spawning behavior, biology, and the maps of your water systems. I'm an amerishart but fish are fish.
Some rivers dump into lakes, others into an ocean. Example; Some trout in north america will spawn right in the lake, others (like bull trout) will spawn in the tributarie streams where they were born.
Learn when/ where the fish are, and when they run upstream to spawn and you will find them.
>>
>>2432587
>as a yuro i'm so jelly of NA
I live in Oregon, great fishing here but...
>annual angling license $40
>Columbia river endorsement $10
>hatchery retention(salmon steelhead and sturgeon) $30
>two rod endorsement $20 and you can't even use that on the Columbia river or most of the tributaries
>no live bait
>barbless hooks only
>salmon/steelhead regulations change every fucking hour so you have to refresh the ODFW regulations page every 30 minutes so you don't get a ticket.
>>
>>2433066
Coming from a Commiefornian, you Oregonians are at least doing something with the money by keeping your fisheries the healthiest in the entire PNW.
California by comparison..
>Annual license is $57
>Two-rod stamp is $17, can't be used in the ocean when targeting salmon or in bodies of water where only barbless hooks or artificial lures are allowed
>Steelhead report card $8
>North coast salmon report card $7.50
>Sturgeon report card $9.50
All that for perpetually collapsing and poorly managed fish stocks and rivers as our regulations are not only very complicated, they are also vague and there are many grey areas exploited by crooked fishermen like exploiting the fact that a deeply inland tidewater section of a river is sometimes technically under the jurisdiction of the local oceanic regulations, which may allow fishermen to catch and keep king salmon that would've otherwise spawned in that river. For the love of God don't send water our way and just let us die the death we deserve.
>>
File: 20220805_035006.jpg (1.28 MB, 3006x3488)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
I made a friend at the pier!
>>
>>2433054
>while you're busy doing fuck all until a fish bites it.
also a good time to throw out a lure
>>
>>2433066
>>barbless hooks only
thats a joke
>>
>>2433066
I pay 90€ municipal fishing card + 300€ annual license just for one(1) river here in Europe
>>
>>2433066
I pay 30 euro annually
10 euro for 3 rods and 10 euro for night fishing, though I dont buy these since I have no use for them
>>
File: IMG_9649.jpg (1.47 MB, 4032x3024)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
fuck the anti bass and sport fishing fags.
>>
>>2432940
>burritos stuffed with beans and rice as filler
>bestcal
>>
>>2433179
They are trash fish that can destroy entire ecosystems. They should be thrown onto the bank when necessary.
>>
>>2433076
>healthiest fisheries in the entire PNW.
They do a lot of really dumb shit here for salmon and steelhead regs. We should have alaska tier salmon runs.
>>2433114
I wish
>>2433139
>390€ for one(1) river
That is criminally expensive. For that price it had better be the cleanest and most productive fishing river on the planet. Do you have to pay to fish every fucking river individually? What country?
>>2433162
Pretty good
>>2433179
Terrible looking spawned out green carp.
>>
>>2433221
>I wish
meant for >>2433115
>>
>>2433208
“b-but anon, they’re fun to catch. they can’t possibly be that bad for the ecosystem.”
>>
>>2432964
that’s my friend, please put him back and be nice to him.
>>
>>2433228
ur friend looks toxic
>>
>>2432990
>we dont have them here in australia, I dont think.
wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_6Kp7q5tbA&t=127s
>>
Anyone going to Fisherman's Life Street Fair tomorrow? The tide looks good tomorrow morning so probably just going to fish instead. don't need any more swag.
>>
>>2433294
Imagine simping for a youtuber
>>
>>2433303
Don't be such a child. Seems like just a vendor show with a youtuber's name on it. Was tempted to go to see if there were good deals.
>>
>>2433305
It's going to be kook central, but hey, maybe you can get some deals on rebranded aliexpress tackle.
>>
>>2433294
Going to get my mouth checked by the dentist instead lol. Look out for birds diving really close to shore from Baker to the Sharp Park Beach just south of the Pacifica Pier. I've been seeing a lot of anchovies being pushed close to shore lately and the stripers weren't far behind. A decent chance for salmon too if you got the hardware and the casting skills for it.
>>2433180
Your greasy potato stuffed "Mexican" food won't convince me to live in your sprawled out smoggy smelly parking lot hellhole. Almost.
>>
>>2433317
Burrito cope

Also, why is Mexican in quotes? Are you implying that it is somehow less authentic despite being closer to the border?

The fishing is better down here too. They straight up had to introduce game fish from the east coast to supplement the fishery because rockfish pose zero challenge.
>>
>>2433333
Nice digits but I'll have to disagree with the better fishing down south. They introduced stripers in the north because the Sac just so happened to have had the perfect conditions and geography to rear them for a commercial fishery and they taste fucking great. Everyone always says its only rockfish up here until they see king salmon, white sea bass, steelhead, literally all species of surf and seaperch in the west coast, albacore, bluefin bigeye, striped marlin, both Pacific and Cali halibut (in a decent size close to the surf compared to socal beaches), fucking massive lingcod, and more that I can't even remember right now that show up on the catch reports or the top secret asian boomer fishing groupchats. I think on El Niño years we have all of your warm water inshore fisheries ON TOP of our prime cold water fisheries, so yes norcal is objectively bestcal. Also our spots up here are legitimately wild, especially north of the Golden Gate. You guys have to cope with going to the Channel Islands or Gaviota to be truly isolated from man. Still a wonderful place to fish, though.
>Are you implying that it is somehow less authentic despite being closer to the border?
The based barely english speaking 3 AM Mexican taco truck owner straight from the Valley doesn't do that fusion shit here.
>>
>>2433353
Delusional, socal literally has every fish you mentioned aside from pacific halibut and steelhead, and in better numbers aside from the salmon.

And I'm sorry you have to track down a random food truck to get the same kind of Mexican food we have on every other corner.
>>
>>2433358
As someone who fishes both, NorCal is better. Oregon is better still. Washington is best
>>
>>2433363
The fact that yellowtail exist makes you wrong.
>>
>>2433358
>Delusional, socal literally has every fish you mentioned aside from pacific halibut and steelhead, and in better numbers aside from the salmon.
You are lying through your teeth if you said there are better numbers of surfperch and lingcod in socal than there is in norcal. Good fucking luck trolling for salmon in socal, that's why you lot go to Morro Bay or Monterey instead. I concede to you that we have less pelagic species accessible to boaters, but to reduce our fisheries to only rockfish is simply egregious. The diversity and quality of fishing in norcal compared to socal is just better. Alaska, Mexico, and Hawaii are always far better than either regions, though.
>And I'm sorry you have to track down a random food truck to get the same kind of Mexican food we have on every other corner.
Oh they are one of many, there is a whole legion of them out here, and I didn't even bother to bring up the genuine Mexican restaurants because they are far too many, compared to your -bertos suffixed shops down there. Genuinely curious about the Adalbertos, Gilbertos, Uncle Bertos, Alibertos, Sneedbertos out there. Is that some kind of franchising bullshit?
>>
>>2433379
Admittedly lingcod numbers are lower, and perch are smaller, but that's equivalent to you claiming tuna and white sea bass as a normal part of your fishery. And flexing trolling as some kind of great fishing experience? Lol that's what the mexicans do for the fat tourists that come down to baja and don't know how to fish for themselves.

Arguing the regional fishing is one thing, but you really need to stop pretending your Mexican food holds a candle to San Diego taco shops. It's honestly just kind of sad.
>>
>>2433388
I said trolling because its literally the only option for salmon down there as techniques like jigging and mooching don't work. Also try trolling on a kayak, its some high stress shit especially when targeting big fish like salmon or yellowtail and with barbless gear. And yes, tuna and WSB are a normal part of our fisheries. They are both caught regularly and spotted far more often every summer. You need extra finesse in the Bay as they come and go in massive schools and are spooked easily by boat motors. Albacore is the most common catch for tuna in norcal and we get a ton between SF and Oregon, with bluefin following closely behind for the few with the know-how to find and target them.

>It's honestly just kind of sad.
What's kind of sad is that I think the same way about you folk. It seems we will never reconcile about Mexican food. I ain't complaining when I am down there and hungry as fuck though haha.
>>
>>2433397
To quote a salty old deckhand on one of the sportboats - "slow trolling is for monkeys". Boomercore shit. And I didn't say you don't have tuna, I'm saying that comparing it to the San Diego tuna fishery is silly.
>>
>>2433317
Sounds good. Ill try some chovy imitation shore jigs.
>>
You bickering Californians are adorable. Come on! Kiss already!
>>
>>2433400
Still, try it from a kayak. Having a big fish or a seal stealing your big fish take you for a wild ride after nearly ripping the rod out of the holder is unforgettable, and what you claimed was that tuna wasn't a regular fishery in norcal, which it is, and I agree that SD's tuna fisheries are more popular and fleshed out. It's just a little mean to say that we are lacking compared to socal to the point where we need to import stripers to make it "sportier".
>>
>>2433406
You were the one with that coping wall of text saying norcal has everything socal has and then some. Like no shit, el niño makes for some weird and awesome situations, but you don't see me talking about all the awesome wahoo we have down here because it isn't a regular part of our fishing. And I have trolled before on both my kayak and boats and I choose not to anymore because it is mindnumbingly boring.
>>
>>2433405
>Kiss already!
don't give the norcal guy any false hope
>>
>>2433413
Yeah looking back, I was too conceited and lashed out even though you were probably trolling, but that whole spat about stripers as a cope hit me right where it hurts for someone like me who spent thousands of hours out there, and it even made me gag a little. It's a shame that you didn't have a wild time trolling on a yak. Personally, I prefer mooching or jigging for catching fish on a kayak rather than trolling, but its with trolling where I had some crazy shit happen to me and it would be cool if someone else experienced the same thing.
>>
>>2433420
Maybe a little trolling lol, we are on 4chan after all. Nothing personal, but as a San Diegan I am obligated to shit on Zonies, Angelinos and Norcal. The rice and beans in burritos is still sacrilege though.
>>
>>2433425
The trolling was exactly what I needed to get fired up to go fishing today lol. I rest my case about San Diego and Santa Barbara being their own regions apart from the rest of socal. They're just too good. Can't rest on a sore ass and sprained shoulder all day from my San Francisco (fishing) shenanigans when there is something to be caught and its not too windy all day. The feeling is mutual about Mexican food, but to be frank with you they are delicious regardless and its only half-hearted banter.
>>
>>2433434
I just took my kayak out to the zuniga jetty on Wed and timed my trip wrong with the tides and ended up going against the current both ways and got fried on my legs where I was still peeling from my last kayak trip to La Jolla. One of these days I'll remember sunscreen.
>>
>>2433446
>One of these days I'll remember sunscreen.
We all say that until we peel ourselves down to the bone. I think its easier to buy good UV proof clothes if the weather allows it if you are a klutz like me. Glad you didn't get stranded out there. In the bay, not timing the tides correctly can mean being pulled rapidly away from shore into the very choppy water in the middle of the bay exposed to harsh winds and being stuck out there until the tide goes slack, or you get rescued.
>>
>>2433451
Ya I think some faggy leg sleeves or something are next. And the Zuniga is at the mouth of San Diego Bay and I bring a radio with me so no real danger of getting screwed like that. The only time I've felt kind of sketchy in the kayak was when me and a buddy took them to Gonzaga Bay and the wind picked up, no coast guard in Baja.
>>
>NEW!!!!!
>>2433459
>>2433459
>>2433459
>>2433459
>>
>>2433368
Baby amberjacks. Meh
>>
>>2429256
Barbless penetrates better.

Just practice your hook sets and you’ll be fine.
>>
Got a good amount of Spanish mackerels and bluefish, but sadly no Cobia today. I will pray to the Poseidon and hope for tomorrow.
>>
>>2429466
>>2432704
>>2432787
>>2432881
>looks like bonita, type of tuna, doesn't taste real good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYl-gD3EZY
>>
>>2434197
and why do you need this much fish

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.