[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

USDA Hardiness Zone Map: https://garden.org/nga/zipzone/

Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87

Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hugelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, City Slicker Composting, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting, Alpaca, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

Previous thread >>2419044
>>
File: IMG_20220723_142843.jpg (1.03 MB, 2016x1512)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>2423245
thread still on page 2 bruh

anyway, where my pepperbros at
>>
File: img.jpg (4.55 MB, 4032x3024)
4.55 MB
4.55 MB JPG
what's wrong with my perillas? they have been like this for 2 months (;﹏;)
>>
>>2423273
not enough light? not enough nutrients? too wet soil preventing nutrient uptake?
>>
I plan to plant rye in the autum and have it overwinter, go dormant during the snowy times, then in the spring continue growing and suppressing weeds.
Here is my question, how long since the last freeze will it take to harvest the seeds from rye.
When is the latest I should plant rye in autum?
Lastly whats a good combo to plant it with for cool seasons, that fixates nitrogen, hairy vetch? Or is there some other suggestions? Does hairy vetch handle the cold and go dormant? Or am I supposed to use it in the spring?
>>
>>2423274
maybe not enough nutrients or too much water then, it was in full sun for the first month and almost turned yellow from its initial dark green color
>>
>>2423277
the soil being too dense can along with too much water prevent nutrient uptake as it effectively chokes the roots, as they do need oxygen down there too.
>>
>>2423245
>making a new thread as soon as it hits a bump limit on page 2 no less
why?
>>
>>2423278
I'm with this guy, that soil looks very boggy. Most plants like more well draining soil. You might want to test the pH as well though, that much mulch can cause acidity which stunts things as well.

>>2423279
No reason to keep posting in an unbumpable thread? Idk, all the same to me.

>>2423275
Which zone are you in?
>>
>>2423310
>No reason to keep posting in an unbumpable thread? Idk, all the same to me.
/out/ is a slow board, that other thread will be alive likely for another day.
That's an entire day worth of posting that could be utilized before another thread *needed* to be made.
I'm not saying you need to make it at page 10, but do try to be a bit more efficient and maybe page 6, or 8.
Both for maintaining post cycles in a thread and for minimizing having multiple generals up at the same time.
>>
File: 1655538304079.png (1.39 MB, 5945x3643)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
>>2423310
>Which zone are you in?
>>
File: IMG_20220723_160237.jpg (1.22 MB, 2016x1512)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>2423267
found these 3 for a nice price while on a short vacation trip.
>>
File: IMG_20220723_160348.jpg (1.02 MB, 2016x1512)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>2423331
can really tell a difference that they were grown in a greenhouse vs my own i bought when they were only a few inches and the middle lanky (thai demon finally growing flowers) i grew from seed
>>
File: IMG_20220723_155716.jpg (1.15 MB, 1512x2016)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
>>2423332
trimmed maters. kinda disappointed in myself i took several weeks to put them out
>>
File: IMG_20220723_160253.jpg (189 KB, 756x1008)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>2423337
but found a fruit on my ananas beefsteak, very excited!
>>
>>2423310
>Which zone are you in?
Fren zone
>>
File: 20220723_102131~2.jpg (1.97 MB, 3235x3456)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>2423314
It was me. Sorry for any offense but whatever, /out/ is no longer the slow board it used to be and I see no need for these threads to be buried by meme threads past page 2.

Back on topic, this morning's bean harvest.
>>
>>2423364
>/out/ is no longer the slow board
yes it is
>I see no need for these threads to be buried by meme threads past page 2
people too stupid to use catalog or search dont deserve anything so that's a moot point
>>
>>2423275
My answer is always clover
>>
File: 20220723_095912~2.jpg (1.08 MB, 2677x2931)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>2423373
It's nice you feel that way, but whatever. Let's stay on topic. How's your garden doing today?
>>
>>2423385
very good, i blogged above. wish i had bought one or two cherry tomato plants instead of trying to use these weak shits that popped up in my peppers from last year that dont taste right.
>>
File: 20220723_100808~2.jpg (3.06 MB, 2970x3846)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
>>2423392
Looking very nice. How do the purple peppers taste? I am often surprised by the flavours of florensis peppers. All my pepper plants are enrobed in bug cloth because the pepper beetles are so bad these days. Had my first ripe one today though which was a delight.

And still picking beans, an almost endless task this time of year.
>>
File: ubMsaQe.jpg (174 KB, 697x937)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
Blog time because I am still livid but also proud of myself and my dad.

> only person in family that gardens
> Naturally this is a big talking and point of interest for other family
> making coffee in kitchen
> see boomer great uncle and his stoner wife in garden by my dad, talking
> slow year, havent had any ripe tomatoes yet really, two or three
> about 2 dozen are almost ready to be picked nearly vine ripened
> see the daft bitch picking a few early, whatever Im not evil she can have some
> she proceeds to go to EVERY SINGLE BED and clean out ALL THE NOT EVEN RIPE TOMATOES

So, I opened the door to my house, Im usually pretty timid, and I yell at her ARE YOU PICKING THOSE FOR ME? And I walk right up to her and take them away. She gets all

> well its just tomatoes whats the big deal

Tell her I've been waiting THREE MONTHS for these, and she still doesnt get it

> Psh so what are you trying to say?

Then the ultimate moment happened. My dad speaks up

> He's telling you to stay the fuck outta the garden

Absolute most kino moment ever with my dad.
>>
File: file.jpg (148 KB, 863x1390)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>2423408
>how do purple taste
none matured yet so dont know. it's a purple prince. gonna get a peruvian purple next year, they're stunning with blackish stems and purple flowers, and will be great for snacking and pickling for me with it's low heat (milder than a jalapeno)
>>
>>2423447
I would have committed a murder
>>
>>2423447
Who the fuck picks fruit that is not ripe yet? Ignoring the aspect of taking something one did not work for
>>
>>2423456
Shes a dumbass boomer, she picked anything that was slightly red. I have a dozen half green half red tomatoes on my counter now
>>
>>2423466
put them in a sunny window and you can save most of them
>>
>>2423468
I will but it's really infuriating to me because I like to share the first real harvest of vine ripe tomatoes with my parents since they let me use their yard, she ruined the whole moment.
>>
>>2423469
yeah fuck that bitch, goddamn
>>
R8 MY T8’S
>>
Maters
>>
First color of the season so far
>>
>>2423469
I like to share […] with my parents since they let me use their yard
Based, I do the same! Our garden is rather small so I’m thankful that they let me create a few beds.
>>
>>2423466
Boomers do love doing that for some reason
>>
R8 my peppers anons
>>
>>2423493
Posting higher quality pics
>>
>>2423497
>>
>>2423498
>>
File: IMG_20220723_201733.jpg (640 KB, 2016x1512)
640 KB
640 KB JPG
>>2423267
>>2423331
samefag here, decided it was time to pick some and hopefully promote more.

>>2423473
>>2423475
>>2423477
nice!

>>2423498
>>2423499
that's quite the number.
any specific things you do to get such good harvest? also what varieties?
>>
>>2423378
Clover can work in the warm times, but I am pretty sure it wont survive winter?
>>
>>2423507
First and Second pic are Cubanelle, 3rd pic are Korean Chiles, 4th pic is Cajun Belle. I used a lot of compost and also pinched the flowers off until late June.
>>
>>2423514
cool
>>
>>2423513
Depends on the variety. White/dutch varieties are biennial if the root nodes are well established before frost.
>>
>>2423522
I have white clover. But again the plan is to set up a rye+nitrogen fixing plant for winter in the fall. So I don't know how long it needs to set up a root nodule and how well it tolerates cooler weather.
>>
File: 1658605250492.png (738 KB, 655x1001)
738 KB
738 KB PNG
>>2423527
Looked it up for you.
>Clovers are winter hardy to -35 degrees F. They are less tolerant in the heat of the south, where they tend to be grown as a winter annual. “In the south it thrives in winter and spring but sometimes can't take the heat in summertime, so it should be planted into existing turf,” Watkins says.

In any case, be sure to use inoculated seed if you want to make use of clover's tendency to form rhizomes. It fixes nothing on its own without the bacteria.
>>
>>2423549
>In any case, be sure to use inoculated seed if you want to make use of clover's tendency to form rhizomes. It fixes nothing on its own without the bacteria.
WELL FUCK!
How do I check for this? I just got clover seeds I have no idea if they are inoculated or not.
Also is there no chance that bunch of clover growing in a natural habitat will pick up and spread these rihozomes?
>>
>>2423549
The other consideration is that white clover is pretty expensive where I am, so if alternatives like hairy vetch work that may be cheaper(due to being less popular) that might be another reason.
Like rye, is cheap for me to get the needed amount of seed. But the clover would hurt my pocket.
>>
>>2423554
You can probably purchase inoculant seperate and then add it to the seeds or soil but I don't know if it will work as well.
>>
File: 1658606318764.png (1.35 MB, 1013x1394)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>2423554
Inoculation media in the seed looks like gray, green, or blue beads and is either by itself or all the seed it dipped in it.
The bacteria is usually present to some degree in all well-established soils, but there isn't a guarantee it's a compatible strain or will work its way into the root node. If you use or have used city water or weed killers in your lawn, the reservoirs that hold the bacteria might be all gone.

>>2423556
I stopped buying pure white clover once I had a scattering of established clover. Now I buy no-mow fescue or no-till cover crop meant to feed deer, which is a blend of clover, radish rye, wheatgrass, with the bulk being rye. Point is it's not just grass and keeps the dirt from shifting when it rains.

Now my biggest issue is that my mentally deficient neighbor has caretakers that dump roundup on their whole lawn which runs off into mine. Just yesterday one of the idiot orderlies sprayed shit through my fence and got it on my cucumbers. I'm hoping I cut back the splattered leaves before too much got into the plants
>>
File: 1657011538079.jpg (642 KB, 4084x2000)
642 KB
642 KB JPG
>>2423569
clover on the left. No idea if its inoculated.
>The bacteria is usually present to some degree in all well-established soils
Well I have undisturbed soil for many years, it's in a forest and only rain water or water pumped from a pipe that goes down into the ground water.
> If you use or have used city water or weed killers in your lawn, the reservoirs that hold the bacteria might be all gone.
Nah, not in the city and no city water.
>>2423569
>I stopped buying pure white clover once I had a scattering of established clover. Now I buy no-mow fescue or no-till cover crop meant to feed deer,
I am not sure we have anything similar to that here.
>Point is it's not just grass and keeps the dirt from shifting when it rains.
naturally, but im looking for a cover crop to go with my rye for the winter that fixates nitrogen. Not soil erosion.
>shit neighbours
none of that for me here, just a lot of elderweed.
>>
>>2423576
That clover isn't inoculated. Just get a small bag off Amazon or eBay to mix in. I'm not sure if they make any tests for soil to check for certain bacteria, but if they do I'll bet it's more expensive than 1 pound of seed shipped.

If you're worried about fixing nitrogen the most, just pick another legume and follow the same process as for clover. Alfalfa and beans can be found nearly everywhere.
>>
how do i get rid of lupines and replace them with something useful like native wildflowers. just do a cardboard and bark session or should i dig the fuckers up to make sure they dont spring up later?
>>
>>2423578
was thinking that beans and peas are readily available for cheap but they cant over winter. Would use them in the spring though.
but yeah I need a winter covercrop for nitrogen fixing that is cheap
>>
>>2423613
They're perennial, so you should dig up the big ones and then landscape fabric to let the small ones burn out. Once everything looks good and dead, water the patch to get any seeds to sprout and then spray with surfactant and vinegar to kill the last generation.
Keep an eye out for stragglers and pull them before they go to seed.

>>2423645
Agricultural alfalfa or vetch are perennial and cheap in volume. Better to use a variety and one might do better while the other struggles.
>>
>>2423658
fuck, that's quite a lot more work over a longer time i expected.
maybe i should just dump old gay on the whole patch and shove some taters in there and pull any lupine that pop up
>>
Hey anons I’m starting a farm and I have 50 acres what should I grow? I’m near Quebec
>>
>>2423660
It's an invasive, that comes with the territory. You could nuke it with glyphosate to be sure but idk how long the soil would be infertile.
>>
>>2423662
Dicks. You can share them with your dad.
>>
>>2423664
i think i do have some of that shit, i could target-spray each plant since it's not a huge patch. think that'd work?
i have another weed that seems to come back every fucking time even after spraying it with that.
>>
File: kiwano pair.jpg (2.01 MB, 1307x3153)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>
>>2423662
Grow some balls and take back your country from Trudeau
>>
HOW DO YOU PROPERLY STORE SQUASH ZUCCHINI AND CUCUMBER AFTER HARVESTING?
>>
>>2423706
fridge
>>
Did I do good sempai?
>>
>>2423676
You have to get the base and stem pretty good to actually kill the plant. Spraying the leaves can just turn them brown, and they fall off before the plant is adequately poisoned.
I seldom use the stuff because it's like bombing a city to kill a few people, but when I do ( plants I can't pull or touch) I mix in a cap of industrial degreaser so it gets through the cuticle.

If it's possible, you might be better manually removing them root and all. Stay on the lookout for seedlings and resurging plants from roots you leave behind.
>>
>>2423796
aaahh that explains things, i was mostly spraying the leaves.
i used it cus it's one of those fucking shits that will survive and regrow from the tiniest trace of their roots left in the ground. absolute pest.
the lupines will be a lot easier.
>>
File: arugula seed harvest.jpg (392 KB, 1637x1633)
392 KB
392 KB JPG
>>
>>2423710
You can't just leave them on the counter?
I have zucchini and squash on the counter for a few days now...
>>
File: IMG20220723181318.jpg (1.47 MB, 3072x4096)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>2423245
Can someone please help me identify these weird things poking out of my tomatoes?
>>
File: IMG20220723181243.jpg (2.68 MB, 4096x3072)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB JPG
>>2423821
Another photo
>>
>>2423821
its the dried up flower
>>
>>2423825
Is that normal? I mean I've pulled a few out of the tomatoes and it feels like pulling out an ingrown hair. Like there's a long string of ... Something attached to these white things
>>
So I bought a melon from the store.
Got a bunch of seeds from it. I want to plant those free seeds into a patch of land for some diversity and growth. Cold times will kill it anyway before it produces anything.
Now question is how do I make the seeds ready to germinate? since they are straight from the mellon I'm guessing there is something stopping it from germinating inside the melon.
>>
>>2423815
you can, but it will go bad way faster than in the fridge, you dummy.
>>
>>2423825
Nvmmd you are right
>>
>>2423788
yes son
>>
>>2423830
Melon seeds germinate pretty easily, just need a week or so
>>
>>2423985
a week in what
>>
>>2423986
In a moist medium, be it a paper towel or soil
Just wash the seeds beforehand and rub them clean to eliminate any chances of rot but it shouldn't be a problem
>>
>>2423994
crossposting
>>
>>2423830
You can scarify them by shaking them in a bottle with some sand and stratify them by soaking in dilute citric acid and vinegar.

Let them dry out a bit, maybe toss them in the freezer once dry for a few days to simulate overwintering.

All of the above is what the big boys do for seeds with heavy cuticles.
>>
>>2423995
thanks
>>2423998
is all of that necessary with melons though?
>>
>>2423985
bro I tried to grow these kajari melon seeds, worst freaking seeds. I started 2 per plug in a tray on a warming mat, 0 germinated. This is after they were soaked overnight. I tried again by putting them between paper towel, 6 at a time. They sort of cracked open and a little white thing started growing out so I thought, "good, germinated." and planted them in red solo cups. Out of the 6 seeds, three of them were planted about a half inch deep and 3 surface sown. The ones that were planted in the soil never emerged. Of the three that were surface sown, only two ever got any leaves. One of them got one leaf and then that leaf has just been slowly rotting away. The other one got two leaves, one of them curled up and over into a half sphere shape, the other one did similar but is slowly turning yellow. It's been two months and it's never produced a third leaf. I have had no problems getting anything else to grow like these melons.
>>
Recipe to cook yellow squash?
>>
Also need a recipe for zucchini

How long can freshly picked squash and zucchini sit on the kitchen counter before needing to go in the fridge
>>
Now that the permaculture craze has died down, what are the implications of the millions of dollars made from shady carpetbagger tree nurseries that popped up seemingly overnight by selling shitty rootstock grafts? What are the consequences therewithin?
>>
has anyone grown oyster mushrooms succesfully in just cardboard or cloth (no wood chips or straw)?
i prepared some nice mycelium by growing it in a box with wet cardboard.
but for the real box i only have cardboard, cotton cloth or coffee grounds
would it work?
>>
File: 1641608542246.jpg (945 KB, 4000x1740)
945 KB
945 KB JPG
>Ahhh I'm gonna GROW
>doesn't care what he grows just seeds
>always growing something where ever he is be it in an apartment or wilderness
>collects all seeds from all foods to grow
>"hmm I wonder how that would grow in this climate"
>>
>>2424156
Oysters will grow on nearly anything as long as they provide cellulose and/or lignin
>>
File: 20220723_214203.jpg (2.75 MB, 4032x3024)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
>>2423245
I'm growing peppers in lab equipment
rat my 50 ML erlenmeyer flask with a cheiro roxa pepper
>>
>>2424246
cute
>>
>>2423828
It’s just parts of the flower it’s fine just pull it off. If you grow jalapeños they also have the same deal it’s the femal flower penis
>>
>>2423275
>>2423310
>>2423321
So what's the answer?
Whats the latest I can plant the rye and earliest, if I want it to overwinter and then harvest in the suimmer?
>>
>>2424296
Look at the variety of rye you're wanting to grow and it's days to maturity then do a little math.
>>
File: bIMG_7765.jpg (438 KB, 1277x958)
438 KB
438 KB JPG
This guy beats my previous biggest squash leaf by 4 inches. I've already got a squash on one plant as big as the biggest squash I got last year. Though that season got cut short by hail.
>>
I'm growing shallots this year, and now they've about completely died off
Will they keep better if I leave them in the ground and just pull them as needed, or if I take them all out now and store them somewhere cool?
>>
File: IMG_20220724_161652.jpg (998 KB, 1512x2016)
998 KB
998 KB JPG
>>2421849
neighbor hollered and pointed out my blackberry had grown thru the back of the fence and holy shit this was a thicc-boi almost like my thumb. managed to pull it back with only a couple broken leaves.
>>
File: 1631390903238.jpg (308 KB, 1629x877)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
>>2424307
>Look at the variety of rye you're wanting to grow and it's days to maturity then do a little math.
I have 1 sort of mystery rye that I just got from a store, no idea what variety it is, only that it's a grain and that it germinates.
Second variety or rye I can get my hands on is "Diament" which I'm guessing is refering to "Dańkowskie Diament" which is some polish rye variety.
Pic related is all the into I got
It doesn't give info for "days to maturity".

What do? Use standard rye numbers? Can't even find that.

ALSO DO ALL BEAN/LEGUME plants fix nitrogen even without inoculation?
I'm thinking of buying some cheap beans and planting them in august, then planting the rye in septermber.
>>
File: 1632791417645.jpg (367 KB, 4152x2420)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>>2424358
also going to make a seeder out of metal disks form a harddrive.
front two disks will be sharp and cut into the ground with weight on top of it, middle part will drop the seed through some mechanism that lets me adjust the funnel size and thus seed rate, back part is two disks that are dull that push the soil back over the thing
Minimal soil disturbance perfect depth for seeds and most importantly maximum germination.
What do ya think?
>>
File: nasty.jpg (1.08 MB, 1891x1735)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>
File: clean.jpg (941 KB, 2305x1795)
941 KB
941 KB JPG
kombucha rules
>>
>>2424358
If you don't even know the growth rate of the rye you bought why the fuck do you expect us to give you exact answers? You haven't even given us your growing zone but you want exact planting dates for a crop you don't even have all the info on? I'm sorry anon, that's a bit much.

To your bean question, yes. You should be all good. Better to use bulk seed from the grocery store since it's like 1/50th the cost for virtually the same thing. Unless you are in Australia or somewhere else that irradiates the fuck out of everything. Can't help you then.
>>
File: IMG_20220724_030859.jpg (384 KB, 1512x2016)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
>>2424482
not a fan. i just started making kefir myself, came out pretty good. next batch i will try double-fermenting and see what difference it makes.
ordered some fermenting boxes to make kimchi and sauerkraut too.
>>
File: IMG_20220722_223018.jpg (374 KB, 1512x2016)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>>2424544
>>
>>2424539
>If you don't even know the growth rate of the rye you bought why the fuck do you expect us to give you exact answers?
If I knew that I would have done the math myself.
>You haven't even given us your growing zone
I have, twice now, wtf.
>but you want exact planting dates for a crop you don't even have all the info on?
Not exact, more like best guesses you can give given the information given to you which is "rye" and growing zone.
>Better to use bulk seed from the grocery store since it's like 1/50th the cost for virtually the same thing.
I use whatever is cheapest, sometimes thats seed form seed stores, sometimes it's "organic" from food stores.
But thanks, il go plant some beans and hope they do some of their nitrogen magic for a month or two.
>>
>>2424544
>>2424547
yum yum, I drink kefir daily but it's store bought, if I had some raw milk form a cow I'd be making my own.
>>
>>2424576
i've been doing it with non-homo low-pasteurized milk
>>
i would like some advice on how to grow, properly take care of, and harvest tea bushes. i'm mostly wondering what is the best time to plant them, when they will be ready for harvesting, and the best way to harvest the leaves, as well as what kind of shade they'll need and whether they can grow well in soil with a lot of clay in it. any help would be appreciated.
>>
Any anons tell me what peppers these are? I tried them and they don’t seem too hot or spicy. Just leaves a weird gritty taste in my mouth
>>
>look mom i posted it again!
>>
>>2424544
>>2424547
i barely can drink the stuff and i water it down to half, i was meaning that it is also awesome to clean limescale and microalgae debris, also great as a fertilize and lowers the water pH (my life is an eternal battle against alkalinity)
>>
File: cukeds vs vine.jpg (1.92 MB, 2689x1761)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
>>
>>2424638
Stop trolling, you are not funny.
>>
>>2424638
Keep trolling you're fucking hilarious
>>
Do plant absorb micro plastics and fluoride and estrogen and all the other shit that turns the frogs gay from my tap water? Would it be better to put a filter on the hose next to the garden bed or implement a rainwater collection tank?
>>
>>2424964
yes, no and yes
>>
i want to start growing but how much should plants cost? i was looking at prices and they vary so much for the same plant. what's the difference?
>>
File: 1658754801657.jpg (981 KB, 702x1322)
981 KB
981 KB JPG
tomatoes arw coming along quite nicely
some plants, especially my san marzanos, barely reach above 50cm in height which is unfortunate but ill try and do better next year
pic related are some black russians that are still green
>>
File: 1658754604072.jpg (1.92 MB, 1774x1331)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
>>2424985
also saw two artichokes
>>
Went for a walk in the woods and found a bunch of chanterelles! Think I’ll make a frittata or something some time. There were a ton but I didn’t bring a bag or anything but I still got a good handful. Any recipe suggestions?
>>
>>2425012
fucking nice
>>
File: 20220725_203807.jpg (1.28 MB, 2160x2160)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>2423245
Do these kidney beans look ready to plant? Please respond with utmost urgency.
>>
File: 20220725_095538~2.jpg (1.79 MB, 3329x2512)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>2424317
Not too shabby at all.
>>
>>2425080
gingger ??
>>
>>2424061
>>2424112
Works with any summer squash
>onion
>tomato
>squash
>garlic
>olive oil
>salt/pepper
>herbs if you want

Slice everything up pretty thin, sauté the onions first until cooked, then add the tomatoes and squash and sauté a few more minutes until those are cooked. If I have the time I cook the onions until they’re fully caramelized. I eat this almost every day in the summer, it’s nice with eggs or on a piece of toast.

Zucchini lasts ~10 days in my kitchen but my house is also pretty cold.
>>
>>2425071
no idea but i've never had a bean not grow
>>
>>2424544
That's over fermented
>>
File: DSC_0955.jpg (3.32 MB, 4032x2268)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB JPG
Why is my pepper plant being such a bitch? Is he okay? Transplanted last week, soil is moist. It's been really hot but I've had him in the shade... But now it's only 90 and he is droopy again.
>>
i need to make a greenhouse fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
>>
>>2425100
Well I planted all of them all, 1-2 inch deep into soil, 2 in each hole.
Lets hope they germinate and do their job with their little nodes.
>>
>>2425148
that white spot is sunburn.
have you watered it recently?
you have some weirdly shaped leaves which could be a number of things from pest to nutrient issues.
>>
>>2425151
Yeah the burn happened before I moved it thinking that it wasn't that bad but guess it was too hot and too much sun for it. I don't have anywhere they really get shade in the late afternoon unfortunately.

He's got a good amount of water. I think it is heat stress because usually it springs back in the morning. Don't think there should be any pests but I'll double check the soil if I don't see an improvement in the next week since its cool and gonna be raining a decent amount.
>>
I got some seed plugs of herbs this spring, if the only thing I'm interested in is stimulating growth is there anything I should do differently in terms of pruning? From what I understand, I should trim pretty aggressively to stimulate growth and the point I should trim at is directly above a "Y" split in the shoot because it will cause each of the "Y" shoots to grow into it's own larger shoot if I trim the center stalk off. I have sage and rosemary, in zone 6A so I don't think I'll be able to get them big enough to overwinter this year outside but maybe next year. I assume being potted vastly decreases the odds of a successful overwintering since you don't have the ground soil to insulate the roots, I intend to bring them inside this year but in the following years where I can keep them out I'll cut them back and cover them in hay.
>>
>>2425153
how often are you watering and how much? that exposed soil on the left looks dry. shove your finger all the way down into the soil and post pic of finger.
>>
>>2425156
Also, what's the lowdown on maintaining soil quality in potted herbs over the long-term(say, several years)? I planted into a fairly large pot to begin with, am I looking at needing to replant at some point in the near future? I'd like to incorporate an olla into the pot in the future as well but in a pot I would worry about the displacement it takes up.
>>
File: DSC_0956.jpg (2.12 MB, 4032x2268)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
>>2425157
Every 2-3 days. Should it be more? I watered daily when it got up to 100. I know potted plants require more but soil felt okay to me but maybe I'm mixing up soft with wet. First year growing vegetables
>>
>>2425165
did it feel damp or moist on your finger?
>Every 2-3 days. Should it be more?
>I watered daily when it got up to 100
that depends on the heat and size of the plant.
the leaves dont show nutrient deficiency at least so i think you havent watered too much, but they can droop from overwatering too. try letting it dry out a bit more between watering if the soil didnt feel dry.
>>
File: 1634865310128.jpg (2.17 MB, 3096x4128)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
Bros, is my rice going to make it?
>>
File: 1640430290920.jpg (1.84 MB, 4128x3096)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>2425169
to seed that is.
>>
>>2425168
Yeah soil felt a little damp. So I think it's okay. It's gonna rain a bunch this week so I'll just let it soak up the rain and I'll evaluate how it's doing later. My other veggies are doing okay apart from some sunburn and this guy just sprouted a flour so maybe it just needs to grow a bit more. I've heard you don't wanna water too much either since you want the roots to get strong. At least it feels like the roots aren't overheating so that's probably a good thing
>>
>>2425172
i wouldnt let it stand out and soak in the rain if it's drooping and soil is not dry already. peppers dont like being soaked for prolonged periods.
>>
>>2425174
Good call. What about tomatoes? Should I just move them all out of the shade? Growing mainly peppers and tomatoes
>>
File: 1644098965602.jpg (3.4 MB, 4128x3096)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
>>
File: Pepper(rekt).jpg (3.15 MB, 2976x3968)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
Peppers are getting rekt by what the neighbour said might be some fungal infection, appropriate measures have been taken for that. What do you think this might be? Water is not an issue, it might be some deficiency.
>>
>>2425176
tomatoes will be OK constantly moist but maybe not soaking wet for a long time. if you have well draining soil and flip any pot-trays so it doesnt collect water they should be fine standing in the rain for a few days.
>move out of shade
tomatoes dont handle as much heat as peppers and can drop flowers more easily above 90 so maybe keep them out of the worst of the heat either moving them or using shade cloth.
the peppers should be fine as long as it doesnt get hotter than when that sunburn happened.
>>
File: Tomato1.jpg (1.06 MB, 2364x1773)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>
>>2425071
These beans are made for plating~
And thats just what I'll do~
One of these days these beans are gonna, grow all over, you
>>
>>2425189
It most looks like it blossom end rot. But also what are they like inside? It could be pepper beetle damage I deal with these days. Eggs get laid very early and grubs live inside the pepper so they often look not bad but are then rotten inside.
>>
File: IMG_20220725_150115038~2.jpg (1.76 MB, 3511x1720)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
Gonna be renting 7 acres of old overgrown new england farmland soon lads. Can't tell you how good the feels are.
Here's the plan, starting in August.
>mow as close to the soil as possible, trimmings stay where they fall
>untreated heavy kraft paper where I want my rows
>dump a couple inches compost or manure on top
>another layer of paper and compost/manure
I've had great luck using heavy paper for killing sod and weeds before, it's cheap and easy to roll out as well. Any other methods of bed prep you all would like to propose or other suggestions for the spring?
I figure I'll probably try the growhole approach, dig a couple 3x3x3 holes before the ground freezes and toss in a few lbs worth of foodscraps and leaves. Plastic sheeting or glass over top (ideally I'll pile the soil on the north side so its angled south) and I figure I'll be in a good spot for starting seedlings nice and early come spring.
Picrel is the stream that runs along the property line. Pretty sure I have water rights--y'all think a ram pump or solar-powered electric would be better longterm?
>>
>>2425283
That sounds like a great set up. Your plan sounds solid and if you have water rights all the better.
>>
What's the deal with my pole beans? No pic, but they're climbing and growing leaves but not producing save for about a handful, and some of the leaves are already starting to yellow. It feels like they've been in the ground for ages. Everything else in the garden is going strong.
>>
2lb boxes of blueberries are showing up at the grocery store now. My fav time of year. Simmered 4 lbs of berries which ended up making 6 cups of blueberry sauce. I like taking blueberry yogurt and adding a few tablespoons of sauce to make it nice and purple. Also great on pancakes. Many pies will be made over the next month as well.

Makes for purple teeth and green poop.
>>
I'm starting an indoor mushroom farm, is that technically not outdoors
>>
>>2423385
Bitchin bee balm bruh
>>
File: Pepper(row)1.jpg (2.49 MB, 2000x1500)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
>>2425262
It's definitely blossom end rot, I just read up on it now and I can see how this could have occured to my peppers. My grandmother told me that calcium deficiency would do something to the peppers and tomatoes, now I know what happens. I'll start treatment asap. Thank you for your answer.
>>
File: 1635694774836.jpg (369 KB, 1086x578)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>took melon seeds along with jelly and put it aside
>couple days later go to collect seeds
>some of the seeds look like this
did they blow their load too early or something?
>>
>>2424482
>>2424482
I've been constant brewing kombucha for about two years now. It is the best way. You just keep a brew going in a container with a spigot and when it gets down to about half filled, you make more sweet tea and dump it in. You end up with these monster scobys which idk what else to do with so I just compost them. I don't bother with a secondary fermentation because the primary is strong enough to get it fizzy.
>>
>>2425750
Post pics and also the monster scobys
>>
File: IMG_20220726_082358.jpg (263 KB, 1920x1080)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>>2425754
I don't have pictures of the gigantic one because I just composed it a week or so ago but here's the current setup.
>>
>>2425760
*COMPOSTED
>>
File: pineberry.jpg (912 KB, 2076x1816)
912 KB
912 KB JPG
Has anyone ever grown Pineberry Strawberries before?
I've been growing this plant for a while and comparing it to a regular strawberry plant, this thing is spreading like a fucking weed.
>>
File: pineberry2.jpg (638 KB, 1816x3192)
638 KB
638 KB JPG
>>2425787
>>
File: strawberry.jpg (998 KB, 2250x1672)
998 KB
998 KB JPG
>>2425787
>>2425788
Regular strawberry plant for comparison
>>
>>2425787
Implessive. I've got regular strawberries going but never done pine berries. They look like they're really taking off.
>>
why does everyone grow tomatos and peppers?
i only grow stuff you can't buy at the grocery store like lotus, lychee and manioc
>>
>>2425824
Most people growing tomatoes and peppers can't grow lychee where they are (though those are in every grocery store here). More importantly though tomatoes sold in grocery stores are always garbage compared to something vine ripened and not refrigerated.

As to the lychees though, that is why I grow so many berries.
>>
>>2425824
>buying overpriced and tasteless shit at the grocery store
>thinks every grocery store around the world sell the same things as yours
how dumb as you
>>
File: 1646328545195.jpg (262 KB, 618x1020)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>2425789
>>2425788
>>2425787
How it started
>>
File: 1635815637398.jpg (3.34 MB, 2805x3619)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB JPG
>>2425937
How it's going.
>>
>>2425824
>lotus, lychee and manioc
i have no idea what any of those are
anyway, love having some good tomatoes and not the retarded ones from grocery store
>>
>>2425824
How many kinds of tomato are there at the grocery store? Off the top of my head, there's like...

beefsteak
vine ripened (ALLEGEDLY)
roma
cherry

You can grow like 10 times as many types of tomatoes at home
>>
>>2425939
strawbs?
>>
>>2425939
why did you launch starberry into outer space??
>>
>>2425952
>vine ripened (ALLEGEDLY)
i bet they just meme that shit as in they cut off the vine and leave the tomatoes on it, but they're harvested before they're mature like the rest.
>You can grow like 10 times as many types of tomatoes at home
same with peppers.
>>
File: bIMG_7778.jpg (582 KB, 1094x821)
582 KB
582 KB JPG
My tallest shaded potato plants are up to 4'4". One clump of them was leaning far over the fence so I carefully pushed them back into the pen. Usually they'd be dying off by now. I think the difference this year is I gave up on pointlessly hilling determinates and just mulched instead. I think the extra dirt kept water from reaching the roots.
>>
>>2425565
What's the weather been like? If it's scorching the heat can cause flowers to abort and not produce anything. Lack of pollinators, or nutrient deficiencies could also be to blame
>>2425748
That's weird as hell. Looks like callus, a mass of undifferentiated tissue you usually only see in cell culture. Basically plant stem cells. What kind of environment were they in? Did you treat them w anything?
>>2425675
Ay congrats, mushroom farm sounds sick. What's your setup like for fruiting? What species are you growing?
>>2426048
I'm sure you'll get massive tubers as well. They look really good, remember to top kill 2 weeks before you plan to harvest!
>>
Should I remove a pumpkin from the vine if it's ripe? The stem is not that woody yet but the pumpkin is bright orange
>>
>>2425937
>>2425939
Very nice.
I'm very much looking forward to getting proper planters for mine so I don't have all these pots taking over my front stoop. Plus it'll look nice seeing them expanding on their own
>>
File: 1630453170714.jpg (79 KB, 783x791)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>2426053
>That's weird as hell. Looks like callus, a mass of undifferentiated tissue you usually only see in cell culture. Basically plant stem cells. What kind of environment were they in? Did you treat them w anything?
scooped them out of the melon with a spoon, slime and all.
Put them into a little bowl, no cleaning. Left them there for like 2 days or something.
Didn't do anything with them.
>>2425957
I'm moving my strawberries to the one place that hasn't be corrupted by the elderweed menace..... SPACE!

>>2426062
I think I planted 40 seeds. Out of those 10 sprouted visibly and out of those 10 only 3 survived long enough for the first picture you can see. But boy did they fucking grow.
>>
>>2426076
>Put them into a little bowl, no cleaning. Left them there for like 2 days or something
you should have cleaned them and maybe let them dry a bit.
>>
>>2426082
I have lots of them so I'm trying different things in terms of harvesting them, storing them and so on.
>>
>>2426085
try cleaning a few, let dry for a day or 3 so any remaining goop dries out, then soak in a bowl like you did and plant.
>>
>>2423498
nice shishito's I am starting two seedlings atm under my grow lights to make permanent indoor pepper plants for food.
>>
how are everyone's tomatoes doing this year?
in the PNW and we had such a cold/rainy start of the season that i fear my tomatobros won't be ready before the first cold snap.

we're at around 1100' elevation, and there's a fuckoff huge butte directly to my south, so off season the garden doesn't get nearly enough sun, even when it's not rainy. and we start getting frost in late august when it is clear.
>>
>>2426202
so-so, i should have started more seeds and not kept those cherries that popped up out of my overwintered peppers (they were leggy cus way too early plus didnt taste right), and repot my real ones and put outside way earlier (too lazy procrastinating), but at least i might get a few cherokee purples and at least one pineapple beefsteak.
wanted a brandywine and malachite box too but they didnt sprout...
kinda bummed but at least i learned from it and will have the proper stuff to have higher germination rate and prevent leggyness with a light-box next year and hopefully not repeat my mistakes.
>>
Does anyone know when to plant onion sets for the fall season/winter harvest I’m in Houston tx
>>
>>2426205
running cherokees as well, tons of flowers, but no fruit starts yet. shame, they really are the best tomatoes i've ever had, absolutely blow away anything store bought.
>>
>>2423821
it's the tomato's dick.
>>
File: IMG_20220727_011250.jpg (391 KB, 1512x2016)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
>>2426214
are you not manually pollinating them?
>>
>>2426248
shaking them, yeah
haven't tried that method though; but i'm not super concerned with their dental hygiene.
>>
>>2424638
gay
>>
File: IMG_20200924_145039.jpg (2.93 MB, 2420x3226)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB JPG
>>2426253
shaking is shit, works better on peppers but you should really try an electric brush, you wont go back to simply shaking your tomatoes after that.
>>
>>2424978
early growing season they're higher cost due to profit having to be made to recoup costs and also run the operation. the garden center, nursery, farm stand all have expenses. they're generally cheaper than say the big box stores, which in my area is supplied by the said previously. If i paid 5$ for a 6pk of peppers or one larger in a pot, now it would be maybe a dollar. You can save the seeds of what you like and use them for the next season. Likewise you can buy the seed packets early spring and grow from that. Depends on your time, space and determination
>>
>>2425283
i would send a water sample to get tested just and also research what's upstream. lawns, runoff sites, factories, golf courses. ram pump would be cool
>>
>>2425787
interesting...i dont recall seeing this type before
>>
>>2426253
>shaking
that's not really "manually pollinating", if you were rubbing a paintbrush in there then you would be.

>>2424978
size and time is the difference, as well as what species you're actually buying (exotic shit is way more). you can get smaller plants at as low as 3-4 bux. slightly bigger tomatoes and peppers go for up to 8 bux, and those already fruiting can be up to 15.
it's a lot cheaper to buy seeds but you might need some lights and other starting gear, but after a few years that cost is reduced for every time you reuse things.

>>2426261
>will my wife's sex toy work
kek maybe if it's rubber with good friction (not smooth and shiny), but i would just get a cheap 5 dollar kid's brush like mine because the bristles help grab the flower and shake it.
>>
>>2425787
i have Anablanca pineberry and while it does produce a shit ton of runners, it hasnt even flowered yet, truly neverbearing as they say

>>2425939
>voidponics

what did those people to you ?
>>
File: 1657724357073.jpg (2.35 MB, 3086x2662)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
>>2426266
>>voidponics
heh have another
>>
How do farms prevent inbreeding with animals?
>>
>>2426214
>blow away anything store bought

anything hgm will smoke store bought, even from seeds from store boughts will defeat the ones at the store
>>
>>2426276
artificial insemination with purchased semen
>>
>>2426279
How do farms who do it the old fashioned way do it?
>>
>>2426284
they buy a different bull from another family tree
>>
File: queen of the valleys.jpg (1.36 MB, 2981x1839)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>2426273
have a macro
>>
File: 1636979826793.jpg (2.21 MB, 3096x4128)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB JPG
>>2426292
Have that weird plant from Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine in the temple mission
>>
>>2426258
i just give them a good shake every day and even that is unnescessary
my sister does this thing pollinating with earpicks and i keep telling her its retarded when she has bees galore but it´s something to do and she has her mind set to it
>>
>>2426297
you dont need to do shit if you have bees, but what she does it not retarded, it absolutely helps if you dont have a ton of bees.
if just shaking works for you good for you, but clearly it isnt enough for the other anon, and i have great success with the toothbrush.
>>
File: 20220726_201609.jpg (3.99 MB, 4608x2592)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB JPG
>>2426053
Thank you I built a 10x6 greenhouse that sits between 2 garage doors in an old defunct gas station my family has owned for 30 years

Humidifier made out of a tote

Oyster mushrooms

I'm excited my local rural king has a great deal on hardwood fuel pellets and I found someone local to source 500lbs of basedbean hulls at a good price to get started
>>
File: 20220726_202028.jpg (3.46 MB, 4608x2592)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB JPG
>>
>>2426339
exif rotation data stripper hits again..

>>2426334
awesome. i wanna try getting some birch stumps and shooting some oysters and shitake in them
>>
File: 20220726_203206.jpg (2.99 MB, 4608x2592)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB JPG
>>2426340
Nice
>>
File: 20220726_203140.jpg (4.31 MB, 4608x2592)
4.31 MB
4.31 MB JPG
>>
File: 20220726_204655.jpg (2.88 MB, 4608x2592)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
Fits like a glove
>>
>>2426369
>>2426352
the hell is that?
>>
>>2426371
Steam sterilizer gets to over 200 degrees kills pretty much everything in the substrate before inoculation
>>
File: 20220726_212401.jpg (3.21 MB, 4608x2592)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB JPG
>>
>>2426248
i just pinch them gently so the petals touch the stigma and it works every time
>>
>>2426403
ah that's a neat trick i didnt know about. will try
>>
my tomato plant got pruned by a god damned deer and lost its will to live, a month straight with no growth
asshole deer
>>
>>2426409
my grandfather taught me that, his tomatoes were always huge, some kind of great depression farm magic
he also taught me to use black and cayenne pepper mixed in water on squash, cabbage and stink bugs, guy was a genius, it never hurts the plants themselves
>>
>>2426410
chicken wire bro
>>
>>2426410
Mine got topped by a deer and all the lower branches except one stretched to the top.
>>
>>2426278
i was thinking of a little experiment of trying to grow tomato seeds from each fast food joint around me and nickname each from its respective place ie BK McDs Chickfila Wendys
>>
>>2426334
That's a sick setup, good luck with your first run and congrats on getting media so cheap!
>>2426414
>black and cayenne pepper mixed in water on squash, cabbage and stink bugs,
I'm taking notes, squash and cuke beetles are a menace for me right now
>>2426597
They're probably all the same desu, but good luck with your experiment.
>>
>>2426624
thank you, I hope to convince or eventually last long enough to use the whole building, then I'll really be podracing, I'm only setting up where my family members don't have all their junk/old cars parked etc, operation could expand by 2 or 3x easily
>>
I've got some pepper plants, and one of them started flowering about maybe a month ago now. One flower so far has produced a pepper, but the rest seem to simply be dying off. They're getting plenty of sunlight, temperatures are high and get water as needed. Are they simply failing to self-pollinate? Is there something I can do to "force" the self pollination?
>>
>>2426638
Also, it is an indoor plant. It's next to a window that I try to leave open as much as I can.
>>
>>2426639
feed them better, with lots of pk and use a brush to pol. them
>>
>>2426642
I'll try the brush thing. I've never actually used any sort of fertilizer on the soil for any of the plants, but I might give it a try. thanks anon
>>
>>2426643
get some organic pellets, from horse, cow or chicken. cheap and good for everything.
>>
Bro I just reignited my long inactive compost pile with buckets of very potent food wastes
It'll get ultra hot very soon

Would it burn the tree who's roots have ventured into the cold pile?
>>
File: IMG_20220726_181604.jpg (2.74 MB, 2789x1640)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
Realistically, what's the shelf life of these beans and lentils vacuum sealed and stored in the basement?
>>
>>2426202
getting large, about to reach the top of the trellis. I needed to be more severe about pruning them earlier, some of them ended up branching out into two or three main stalks. I started getting my first yellow cherry tomatoes a day or two ago. Some beefsteak are getting large fruit, still very green though.

One other lesson I learned is that permanent marker on cut pieces of yogurt container does not work for a plant label. The sun bleaches the permanent marker off completely, so it will be a memory game/total unknown as to some of the varieties I planted.

Also, planting tomato suckers could not be easier if you have drip irrigation. Simply cut the sucker off, stick it in the ground where there's a drip emitter, that's it. After about a week the plant has grown new roots and is indistinguishable from any other tomato (other than smaller).

Also I learned that I should have mulched much much earlier in the year, basically as soon as I got the soil in the raised beds.
>>
guys my kale is totally infested with whiteflies. Wasps eliminated all the cabbage worms, but whiteflies are coating every leaf. Neem oil or insecticidal soap?
>>
File: 1639336475526.gif (453 KB, 220x220)
453 KB
453 KB GIF
>>2425730
Its more likely either due to overwatering, underwatering, & or inconsistent watering. Try those first then get some garden lime to work into the soil. I fair few of my pepper plants are doing the same thing and I believe its too much water vs calcium deficiency in the soil.
>>
>>2426736
>overwatering, underwatering, & or inconsistent watering
That's real fucking helpful advice pal. Fucking bravo. You should write a book.
>>
>>2426687
>Officially, dried beans have a minimum shelf life of one to two years, per the USDA. Unofficially, they last… basically forever. Dried beans are considered non-perishable

>According to the United States Agency for International Development, USAID, "if stored properly in a cool, dry place, they have a minimum shelf life of one year, keeping indefinitely and withstanding harsh or tropical environments." Time alone won't make beans go bad, per se, but they certainly won't taste the same
>>
>>2426624
make sure you boil the pepper/cayenne for about 15-20 minutes, it helps absorb the scent
>>
First bean
>>
>>2426974
look at this nibba eatin beanz
>>
File: tatoes.jpg (1.35 MB, 1398x2688)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB JPG
dug these out today
>>
>>2426974
that's a lovely bean

>>2426990
nice harvest!
>>
>>2426822
I really appreciate it.
I've read a lot that call for 1 year, but also read stories of Viet Kong fighters stacks houses of rice that lasts a decade.
I know grannie are home grown canned green beans that were 5+ years old and that didn't kill her.
>>
>>2427023
some company resold old military canned meat emergency food that was 20 years old here in sweden some years ago after testing them and determining they were still safe to eat.
>>
>>2426974
Cool beans
>>
>>2425787
growing some for the first time now, yes they put out shit tons of runners it's nuts
>>
strawberrybros, i've had some overwinter in the ground but they seem to be very stunted. should i try overwintering above freezing? i can get like -20 here and last frost is end of may, so they take a good while to grow aswell.
>>
>>2425787
Where did you get the seeds?
>>
>>2427134
hybrids do not "grow true from seed"
>>
>>2427131
You need to throw a heavy layer of mulch on them for the winter. It'll help prevent root damage and they come back strong the next year
>>
>>2427153
alright gonna do that, thanks
>>
How difficult is it to grow enough feed for a laying flock of about 40-50 chickens and which crops would be best to grow? Making some big improvements to my land this fall and I hope to be able to get some chickens on it finally.
>>
>>2427147
How do you grow them?
>>
File: 1643479852778.jpg (1.32 MB, 1953x1732)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
Why does the rice plant send these little water droplets at the tips of the leaves?
>>
>>2427199
many plants do that when they have excess water. not sure if rice also does that
>>
>>2427201
>many plants do that when they have excess water.
Oh? Cool, didn't know that.
>>
>>2427196
From crowns you buy or from runners that the plants you already have send off
>>
>>2427189
Pumpkins, corn, potatoes, sunflowers, they're omnivores. Growing chicken fodder is probably what your going to want to search for.
>>
>>2427201
>>2427203
cool mangg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guttation
>>
File: 1640767253148.jpg (88 KB, 863x555)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>2427388
>Guttation is the exudation of drops of xylem sap on the tips or edges of leaves
>Guttation fluid may contain a variety of organic and inorganic compounds, mainly sugars, and potassium.[2] On drying, a white crust remains on the leaf surface.
cool
>Girolami et al. (2005) found that guttation drops from corn plants germinated from neonicotinoid-coated seeds could contain amounts of insecticide consistently higher than 10 mg/l, and up to 200 mg/l for the neonicotinoid imidacloprid. Concentrations this high are near those of active ingredients applied in field sprays for pest control and sometimes even higher. It was found that when bees consume guttation drops collected from plants grown from neonicotinoid-coated seeds, they die within a few minutes.[3] This phenomenon may be a factor in bee deaths and, consequently, colony collapse disorder.
not cool!
>>
Why do boomers insist on both ordering and planting garlic late? I should have garlic ordered months ago but SOMEONE living with me believes NOVEMBER TO DECEMBER is when cloves should be planted
>>
>>
>>2427431
They stay dormant in the ground and begin growing early next spring. At least in my climate
>>
File: BIMG_7783.jpg (411 KB, 1277x958)
411 KB
411 KB JPG
This guy growing on the wrong side of the trellis seems to be starting to push the trellis away from the fence. I don't think it will get big enough to knock the trellis over but I'll have to keep an eye on it.
>>
File: bIMG_7784.jpg (500 KB, 1459x1094)
500 KB
500 KB JPG
The biggest squash at the moment, scale for scale.
>>
>>2427756
the trellis is temporary, this guy is forever .
>>
File: sad potatoes.jpg (3.77 MB, 2683x2305)
3.77 MB
3.77 MB JPG
Reminder that Ruth Stout cultists are retards
>Just put a potato on the ground and cover it in mulch!
>No fertilizer, no compost!
>It's that easy!
>Follow this method and you too can NOT GET A SINGLE FUCKING SPUD THIS SEASON!!!!!!

>inb4 "we never told you that!"
I've seen multiple morons recommend this "technique" for years. I guess no one actually tried it after seeing it "work" on YouTube
>inb4 they look ready to harvest!
Nope, checked, not a single fucking spud. Nada. Nothing.

Fuck Ruth Stout and fuck all of you
>>
>>2427756
I would cut that out
>>
>>2427769
You did put straw in autumn, let it decay over winter and then peel that back and plant into that, right?
>>
a huge hailstorm just destroyed most of my plants
RIP my gardening hobby 2022 - 2022
>>
File: malabar_spinach.jpg (2.72 MB, 3000x3377)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
GROW FASTER
no but really these niggas are not growing
>>2427858
in july? what zone?
>>
>>2427842
I fucking called it like a telephone
>no no no we didn't say to do that! We said do this!
>You did put straw in autumn, let it decay over winter and then peel that back and plant into that, right?
To top it all off I did that anyway! I fucking did that too without being told!!!
I was dumping fouled hay and rabbit manure on that patch all autumn, and covered with fresh straw only when it was time to hill them up
You can come up with whatever coping modifications you please but deep mulching seems like shit for growing potatoes
>>
>>2427769
The average soil in Ruth Stroud's day was much better than the decimated gravel that most people now try to garden in. That said, there is a reason why she has been largely forgotten. If you want sustainable no till gardening that works look into Charles Dowding.
>>
>>2427858
F
>>
>>2427873
>no no no i totally did my research on the subject before trying
you seem to be the only one trying to cope and deflect blame here
>>
>>2427873
oh you're trolling, okay.
You the guy who posted the flowers and called it peppers as well, right?
>>
>>2427215
Where do you buy the crowns?
>>
>>2427756
cut out that section of trellis
FREE MY NIGGA SQUASH
>>
>>2427910
>>2427911
I have actually gone outside, I don't think you do.
I have photographic evidence I'm actually gardening, and you don't, so why should I listen to people that don't garden?
>>
File: Anablanca.jpg (1.72 MB, 1225x3585)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
>>2425787
>>2425788
>Takes over the World and produces zero fruit

Nottin personnel kiddoes
>>
>>2427989
do me a favor, ring up goolge and search how a potato plant looks like. Then compare to your image.
>>
File: moonrocks.jpg (1.07 MB, 1693x2349)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>
>>2427911
He's probably not trolling. Just really stupid. It's like ground elder anon who comes here. Their hubris is too delicious not to enjoy.
>>
>>2427756
What a rapscallion
>>
>>2428014
I am groundelder anon! And I'l have you know my potatoes are growing!
>>
For squash bugs, flood the base of the plant and watch them run up the leaves. Then use a stick and knock them into a small container of water and dish soap.

Or, you can mix a tiny amount of dish soap, water, and neem oil and then spray them when you see them run up on the leaves. Fully coat them and they will die in a few minutes. You then have to rinse off the soap from the the plant or the soap will strip the protective coating from the leaves. This is why I prefer knocking them into a small coffee can with soap and water if I can.

Also, if you see small reddish balls grouped together on the leaves (squash bug eggs), scrape them off with a fingernail, and let them drop to the ground where beetles and such will eat them.
>>
>>2426410
Four seeds in a row one for the rook, one for the crow, one to die, and one to grow.
>>
File: 0.jpg (787 KB, 4032x3024)
787 KB
787 KB JPG
Soon
>>
>>2428223
Nice. Finally starting to get cherry tomatoes in meaningful quantities here. A long cold spring delayed everything this year.
>>
Currently starting some carrots, potatoes, and more peas for fall. Any other recommendations? I don't get freezing temps till at least late november so I've got around 90 days to work with.
>>
>>2427483
The earlier you plant them the longer time there is to form a large bulb. November-planted garlic will have considerably smaller heads than garlic planted in September or October but "Mr. harvests leaves and scapes only" here doesn't seem to give a fuck about head size
>>
>>2427756
My plant now has EVEN LONGER of a delay between male and female flowers. I may have to remove all females on it as well as all but one male flower because it refuses to put energy into that flower otherwise, instead it sent all that energy into a useless node of vine
>>
I got some wheat from a friend, can I plant it already and harvest at the end of summer? I'm in zone 9 I believe
>>
Do cukes need to get hit by the sun to ripen ? I have one kinda old now and shaded and still it doesnt turn dark green
>>
File: PXL_20220729_143149103.jpg (1.64 MB, 3072x4080)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
Is he okay bee bros?
>>
>>2425787
I started bare root pineberry strawberries this year but they did not produce a single flower.
>>
>>2428401
Why would he not be? Looks super happy to me.
>>
>>2428311
My squash plants went into a second wave of male flowers further down the line. Relatively few female flowers at the moment. I've got 8 - 10 squash in various stages of development and plenty of growing season left. I may pick the first one this weekend.
>>
File: PXL_20220729_170042676.jpg (2.7 MB, 4032x3024)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
>>2428465
What is happening to my cherry? Bare root stock planted last spring, no pests visible on it, it's growing very strongly but a few leaves look like this.
>>
File: 1659117444726.png (642 KB, 840x530)
642 KB
642 KB PNG
>>2428401
Hard to say, can't tell if those are drops of condensation, weirdly large pollen grains, or worst case, bee mites
>>
File: bIMG_7787.jpg (422 KB, 1277x958)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
Picked 2.5 lbs of carrots to reduce the encroachment into my peppers. Some decent sized ones already. The few under 2" make good dog snacks.
>>
File: PXL_20220729_170053270.jpg (3.57 MB, 4032x3024)
3.57 MB
3.57 MB JPG
>>2428472
>>
File: IMG_20220729_204100.jpg (557 KB, 1512x2016)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
>>2428472
>>2428476
looks like heat damage, got similar on my blackberry when it was 32C
>>
File: IMG_20220729_155826.jpg (1.57 MB, 2048x2048)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
My cucumbers have finally started coming in in earnest, any idea why they flowered so much early without those flowers producing cucumbers?
>>
>>2428473
This >>2428401 is totally pollen
>>
>>2428546
It's typical with squash family. They put out lots of male flowers to attract pollinators and guage response then they put out females which take more energy but will lead to fruit.
>>
>>2428401
Brush him
>>
>>2428554
oh, alright thanks. That's interesting, I was worried that the pollinators were skipping out on me since I didn't have enough flowers to make it worth a trip back to the hive since they only pollinate one type of flower at a time.
>>
>>2428497
Ah makes sense it was very very hot your last few days
>>
>>2424544
you can use the lactic bacteria serum for plants
>>
Is this stuff decent as an amendment to the raised flower/veg beds? It’s on half price sale for about 4$ per 1cuft bag. This or “aged cow manure” also bagged for about the same price
>>
>>2425750
>>2425760
you can do candy with the monster scobys

https://www.liveeatlearn.com/kombucha-scoby-candy/
>>
>>2428629
i can't imagine it would be. iirc its the spent bulk substrate from mushroom farming. wouldn't it be depleted of whatever nutrients the mushrooms that grew in it already ate up? might be useful for aeration or water retention purposes I suppose.
>>
>>2428626
how?
>>
>>2428638
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Vr4asX8fE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgB_5_xKpdo
>>
>>2428641
so just pour the whey in my pots?
>>
>>2428644
dilute the translucent serum and water your stuff with it
>>
>>2428648
>serum
it's just fucking whey, call it what it is
>>
Should I top my tomato plants? They are at the top of their cages, and already have a decent amount of fruit / flower branches. I usually end up with a lot of small green tomatoes at the end of the season.
>>
>>2423245
Why does my aloe taste like rubbing alcohol? Especially the inner goo at the base of the "leaf". It's an old plant so maybe that has something to do with it? I know many plants get stronger tasting as they get older, usually towards the "gross hand sanitizer" taste (anything lettuce-like or leafy after it bolts). Maybe I'm just stupid and it's something that got on my plant I'm tasting in addition to the aloe but IIRC I've experienced this multiple times before. I don't cook with aloe so NBD but I figured I'd ask.

>>2423331
What are they? I see the one on the left sold as "ornamental peppers" often, but middle and right are new to me.

>>2426729
I had aphids on indoor plants and it basically turned into "spray the ever loving fuck out of every plant with soapy water every day at least once a day". Just dawn and water in a spray bottle. I tried diatomaceous earth too, but I found it didn't get them all or something like that IIRC. But listen to >>2428086 about misting them off afterwards. I think I forgot to wash my plants off, but it worked out for me. (oops)
>>
The first time that I grew tomatoes. It’s ridiculous how much more intense the flavour is compared to a store bought one. I mean we say it so often it’s kind of an meme already but I was really surprised by the difference in taste.
>>
>>2428876
Just wait until you try home-grown grape tomatoes. And then again when you grow sunsugar grape tomatoes (orange when ripe). Give it time in the sun and make sure the whole thing is orange with zero green before picking. The taste is nuts. Super sweet.
>>
>>2428877
I have Cherry Indigo Rose and Golden Queen (sauce tomato) but they are not ripe yet. For next growing season I will try to get my hands on one of the varieties you mentioned.
On Monday I will submit my Bachelor’s thesis and be done with studying. After that I will visit several US states and figure out where I’ll buy some land. Maybe next year I will already have my own place and garden. It will certainly be an exciting year.
>>
File: 1658156051784.jpg (227 KB, 2000x1333)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>2428885
By "cherry", I mainly reference the size or general variety. Pic shows what most of them look like; I eat them by the bowl. Or right off the vine. However, cutting them in half and salting them is a great way to eat them, too. Sunsugar, also a "cherry" tomato, is just a cherry tomato but even more sweet. I have an absolute monster of a sunsugar tomato bush. Not sure who grew it or where the exact variety came from, but it's stupid big and has a lot of fruit. Came back from the one I had last year which was similarly massive! It has not one but THREE tomato cages holding it up haphazardly. First one is a medium size which was carefully slipped over it once it got big, then a small sized one on each side to hold up the long branches, branches carefully woven through.
>>
File: 1635341112011.jpg (104 KB, 1000x1000)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>2428885
Here's the sunsugar. Ripe when orange, however you should really give it a day or two after they turn orange as I find they tend to still have green spots around the stem, which often means 70% green fruit inside. Let it get green, yellow, orange, and then deepen that orange just a little. Seems Bonnie (brand) sells Sunsugar cherry tomatoes, which means my original plant was probably cloned/was probably a cutting from a Bonnie plant. All I know is it came from a farmer's market stand, and I don't even remember which one. It was probably $1/4 plants.

I should also mention that these are all photos quickly pulled off google rather than from my own garden.
>>
>>2428897
the seed packets for sale in the store in the spring, are the seeds only good for one generation or can the seeds be used again from the grown produce
>>
>>2428906
From what I understand, tomatoes can cross-pollinate if you have plants too close. Every time you grow another tomato plant and harvest the seeds from it, you may either have part of another variety of tomato cross bred into it OR it may have ever so slightly "mutated". To put it simply, its "DNA" isn't exactly going to be the same after every season; it's much like breeding animals, if that makes sense. Things may change, even if it's by accident; slight variations happen, even if only slight. If pollen from another tomato plant germinates the flower of the tomato you get the seeds from, it changes a little. This (cross pollination) can be minimized by planting other varieties further away and by manual pollination as soon as you spot new flowers (>>2426248 >>2426403). This really isn't much of an issue, though, and I doubt many of us have really seen major mutations in a tomato plant from year to year. Note I'm no expert. Now onto stuff I'm a little more comfortable on:

I would recommend using part of the seed packet and saving the rest; IIRC you usually get a lot of tomato seeds in a single pack. Once you have plants grown and planted, you'll inevitably have some tomatoes (fruit) that go bad on the vine. I recommend putting these somewhere away from the plant, but somewhere they won't get hit by a lawnmower or grown over. Next year, that spot where you throw a certain variety of bad tomatoes will likely sprout tomato plants; you just have to watch and wait for them. They're usually no different from last year's crop. Don't throw multiple varieties of bad tomatoes in an area unless you like a guessing game next year; I've done it myself.
(cont.)
>>
>>2428906
You can also simply save seeds from your picked garden grown fruit, but they need to be removed from the fruit and left in water for several weeks before drying to remove the outer coating, which stinks as you're basically rotting that coating off AFAIK. I'm lazy and don't do that often. I have enough rotting stuff in water with taxidermy as a hobby and I don't want to deal with it much more than I already have to.

TL;DR: yes, and you should do so if you find strange varieties of tomatoes at farmer's markets you fear may be hard to find next season.
>>
>>2428906
With hybrid varieties like the different Sun tomatoes you wont get a similar tomato from saved seeds (F2) so it's not worth it. Seed packets (at least here) for hybrid varieties often have "F1" after the name of the variety so for an example "Sun Gold F1", so it is easy to see which ones are hybrids. But of course you can also easily find info online.
>>
>>2428906
Also, be sure to give tomato plants plenty of support. I'm talking a tomato cage (which aren't great, but aren't terrible IMO), a trellis, support using twine, just something, anything. For an embarrassingly long amount of time, I grew tomatoes without any support, or if any, just the cheapest small tomato cage we could get, and they did well, but didn't grow much IIRC. I'm not saying you have to run strong heavy twine between posts and weave them, I'm not saying you have to have a 25 foot trellis up the side of your house (MIGardner, how the fuck did you get it to grow so big?), but do something! Tomatoes are basically a stupid vine IMO. They're much like a pumpkin or cucumber vine and want to climb...but completely lack anything that allows them to hold onto something to climb in the first place except their branches, which don't seem to "search" for anything. Cucumber and pumpkin vines at least have pic related, which grows straight, then curls tighter and tighter. It grabs chicken wire, rope, and other branches very well, which allows it to climb, though often still with a little help. Tomatoes just grow up until they bow under their own weight and keep growing, now growing towards the ground. They WILL sprout roots from any branch that touches the ground long enough, but too much contact with dirt causes diseases from dirt splashing up on the plant during watering or from rain.
(cont.)

>>2428917
That's what I was forgetting! I'm not very good with genetics.
>>
>>2428906
That brings me to another point, other than my sunsugar (for some odd reason), many tomato plants suffer from lack of airflow! Too many branches and leaves bunched up in an area will cut off airflow and the plant will either have dying leaves or powdery mildew (leaves turn light green or brown and have a white powder appear on them) which stunts the plant's growth, kills off branches, and generally does bad things.
Don't be afraid to pinch off some young branches here and there, especially if they're in an already somewhat crowded spot. They don't have to go to waste, either; if it's early in the season and you need more plants, you can cut a small hole in a water bottle's hole, thread the plant through it, fill the bottle with water, put the cap back on, and wait for roots to sprout! However, often it doesn't really matter and snipping off a young (6-10") branch is less "waste" and more just keeping airflow up, keeping the plant putting energy into the fruit/main vines instead of unnecessary branching, and it keeps the plant healthy in general.

/rant over (what is this, 2007?)
>>
>>2428924
im starting to get powdery mildew on my squash leaves. does spraying on milk work or just cut the effected leaves
>>
>>2428916
>>2428917
"heirloom" is not hybrid right?
>>
>>2428633
>aeration or water retention purposes
pretty much what the objective is, the current soil is pretty hardpacked
>>
>>2428633
half-right, you're not gonna spend every ounce of nutrient in a single shroom run (a few weeks) which is what they should be selling, it's more like it's semi-broken down. it may not have as much as other composts but it's not useless either as some contain some other type of horse manure aswell.

>>2428933
should be good for that if you get one that's made from hay or straw.
>>
>>2428930
IIRC you can mist water with baking soda in it to treat it. Googled it quick.
>1 teaspoon baking soda in 1 quart of water
Others mention using castile (non detergent) soap.
>1 tablespoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon Castile soap, 1 gallon of water
A lot of places seem to mention milk, but the less things mold can grow on the better IMO. You should probably rinse the plant off after about an hour if the anon mentioning rinsing plants after putting soap on them above is to be believed. Wouldn't want to leave something on the leaf if you didn't have to. I'd treat it a few times (once or twice a day) just to be safe.

>>2428932
Heirloom shouldn't be hybrid 99% of the time but AFAIK I don't think it necessarily excludes them. Heirloom just means an older variety of tomato AFAIK, usually something that looks "ugly" or "odd" to what we think of as a modern tomato. Purple or odd colored tomatoes (IIRC), and especially "wrinkly" "ugly" tomatoes or ones that are less of a "perfect" red but usually making up for that in taste and/or or fruit size, or even just in oddity and rarity for variety's sake. I don't think I've ever seen a hybrid heirloom; is that even possible considering >>2428917? It's not like the seeds of an old variety could be found and used to make more seeds in that case, right?
>>
File: Relly.jpg (460 KB, 1079x878)
460 KB
460 KB JPG
>>2423245
>Be watching garden content
>This pops up

Really bitch?!
>>
>>2428981
thots gonna thot every genre they can exploit
>>
File: 1657275844028.jpg (414 KB, 3620x1368)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
>melon seeds germinated accidentally
wooops
>>
I have two area that has been neglected for the past couple years. one is about 30ft by 15ft, overgrown with wild rose bushes, the honeysuckle vine and some poison ivy. area two is bigger and at one point was ground covered with periwinkle but now poison ivy has exploded coming up everywhere. about to put cardboard down over everything
>>
>>2428897
This seems to be a controversial opinion with most people I meet, but to my taste sunsugars are kinda too sweet. It almost doesn't taste like a tomato to me.
>>
>>2429022
hope it's heavy duty with all that stuff. i'd at least make a sweep with a brush cutter first
>>
File: 20220729_133526~2.jpg (1.99 MB, 3456x2925)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>2429054
New thread up just like these pawpaw seedlings I have been waiting so patiently to pop up.
>>
>>2429043
was going to snip the rose bushes down to the ground and then cover. i have lily's hidden in there too so don't want to raze it all.
>>
>>2428981
Whats on the members only content?
>>
>>2429088
>he has to ask
>>
>>2429043
Oh yeah, they're stupid sweet. Really only good for snacking since they're so different; they probably don't just fit right in a recipe calling for "cherry tomatoes" most of the time.
>>
migrate, apparently OP forgot to announce
>>2429054
>>2429054
>>2429054
>>
>>2429194
I said it here>>2429055
>>
File: IMG_20220730_184947.jpg (1.34 MB, 2048x1144)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
I seem to be losing extremely fine sediment through the material of my grow bags, should I worry at all about how this impacts my soil?
>>
>>2429088
Lol wtf is members only? If you subscribe? Don't tell me YouTube does paid subs now?
>>
>>2429353
>Don't tell me YouTube does paid subs now?
It does
Yt has been going to shit for a while now

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.