[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: images (5) (12).jpg (30 KB, 640x425)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Are you allowed to just go to Antarctica? Are there any special rules or anything?
>>
>>2418028
doubt anyone would bother to stop you out there, but good luck staying alive
>>
>>2418035
But that's what you guys also say about here in Australia
>>
>>2418035
This. It's self-policing.
>>
>>2418037
The "population" tops out at ~5,000. It's the size of the US and Mexico combined. The first thing you need to worry about is getting there alive.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ-svmgOxqw
>>
>>2418028
>Are there any special rules or anything?
Yes
>t. glowie
>>
Probably have to bee a scientist/support for a base to get there realistically. Applied a few times for the Australian sector but there's a lot of competition.
>>
You must acquire an invite from the arctic ants
>>
>>2418130
Can I just be hired as a janitor or guard?
>>
>>2418203
In reality, yeah you absolutely can. I almost applied to be a hazardous waste coordinator at one of the stations. I have all of the certs and experience for it, but it would mean skipping school, quitting my current job, letting go of my apartment, all this shit for a temporary contract in Antarctica. At the end of the day, my degree is more important to me, because it's going to get me the fuck out of my current field. One of my old coworkers was sent as a mechanic when he was brand new with the company. There are more jobs there than people think.
>>
>>2418192
Why would arctic ants care what happens in Antarctica?
>>
>>2418227
They put their claim on Antarctica.
>>
A lot of sailors go there everytime. Search for Amyr Klink, he has some cool content about it.
>>
>>2418292
This is incredible wordplay, anon.
>>
>>2418330
I dunno how telling you the facts is wordplay.
>>
>>2418037
The Australia thing is partially a joke. Antarctica is not. Watch videos of people going from one building to another. One of the stupid things I do is watch the weather there. The warmest days there will fucking kill you.
>>
>>2418028
not allowed but who can stop you if you do?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarle_Andh%C3%B8y
>all these fuckups and eventually fined 2500€
>>
>>2418435
>Boatserk
>sinks

Heh
>>
>>2418028

There are mines once you reach a point where the ice wall is visible. There are automated machine guns that take out anyone that gets near the exit point.
>>
>>2418028
What's beyond the ice wall? I want to venture to the wall just south of Patagonia and send my own weather balloon up with a 360 degree view, high definition live streaming camera. I need to know the truth
>>
>>2420574
A lot of water. Seemingly endless oceans 10x+ bigger than you think the earth is. If you can make it past that, there are more ice walls. LOTS more. Like a honeycomb...
>>
>>2418028
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Antarctica

So it's pretty common for people to visit, in theory you need a pass issued by a country that has signed the antarctic treaty.
>>
>>2420574
You know the straights of Magellan, the infamously dangerous sea route? Travelers sought that out instead of going further south into that area because of how fucking gnarly the ocean is there. Just saying.
>>
>>2420578
For me, it's the furious 50s
>>
File: received_671484836865985.jpg (486 KB, 4096x3072)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
Antarctica is peak out. Please stay away.
>>
fuck off, we're full
>>
>>2420622
You don't live there, you dumb nigger.
>>
>>2418130
Logistic types in the army go there a bit. Unloading and loading gear from ships planes that go there. A lot of it goes through NZ
>>
>>2418028
>d-dont go there goy! theres nothing there, its just a wasteland
>w-well NO, you CANT go there or else youll be arrested! f-for your own safety of course
>go back to sleep goy
>>
>>2423226
You can go you chucklefuck.

http://exdest.com/antarctica-tours/
>>
>>2423272
I met a Syrian guy who skied to the North Pole. Basically the pricetag is near 50 grant, they fly you to Norway, from there I believe to Spitsbergen, from there on a Russian an-12 to some ice airfield, and then heli drops you like a week of skiing away from the North Pole. 2 week after the heli picks you up at the same point, or you can call it via GPS if you are in distress.

50 grant, dudes. He said he paid about 8 and the rest was sponsored.
>>
>>2420574
>I need to know the truth
https://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/
>>
File: 1649510573987.jpg (93 KB, 744x373)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>2423421
>>2420576
you can technically go to the continent of anarctica pretty easily with some money or connections, but only the very coastal edges of it and the surrounding islands.
that's not what anons mean by wanting to go or fly over anarctica, or anarctica being restricted and hard to get to.
if there's a way to that i don't know about enlighten me, i'm a bored crypto funbux gazillionaire.
>>
>>2423281
north pole is super easy to go to
south pole isn't
>>
>>2418047
I think if you had a jet ski you could make it work!
>>
>>2420592
Is that even Antarctica
>>
>>2418028
I worked there for a little over a year. I got a job as a mechanic working on the earth moving equipment they have. Then I ended up as a road grader driver. It's pretty easy to get a job there if your from Australia. I was honestly happy to leave and I have no desire to go back. To answer your questions yes you can go there. There are plenty of rules. Due to being a government run operation there is a lot of red tape. Ranging from safety to thing's like environmental foot prints. They basically set out what they want done and you have to follow it pretty closely if you are close to the station as a lot of the science guys will snitch on you for not following the rules however once you get away from them you can work without to much issue and ignore most of the environmental stuff. As for just going exploring on your own that won't be possible. Due as mentioned environmental and safety rules. It can be done though because plenty of people do it but they are mainly very experienced people with plenty of funding that have met all the paperwork and red tape. The only time I went a significant distance from the station was when I went on a 4 day research trip the only reason I went was to repair a vehicle that had broken down and needed to be retrieved. If you're from Australia you can apply for jobs there. If you suffer any form of depression it will get worse there. Also if you have very limited private space and that can really start to get to you after a while
>>
File: 1633748552793.png (1.23 MB, 2100x300)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>2418028
There's a chilian outpost that accepts tourists
>>
>>2418028
these guys take you there on ski
https://www.hvitserk.no/antarktis/sydpolen-fra-hercules-inlet/
just 95 500€ but that include permits, flight there and back, guide and several practice camps before leaving bc its fucking 1150km on ski without outside help.
the tour company is pretty serious, i know a guy who used to guide hiking tours for them. its not tourist friendly you must pull your own weight just as much as the guides pull their.
>>
>>2420578
You mean 'straits' retard
>>
>>2423281
You mean 50 'grand' retard.
I want ESL subhumans to leave.
>>
>>2425056
No, 50 grant. He was granted an academia research trip funding budget of fifty thousand.
>>
>>2423437
The map on the left shows developed, populated areas in first world countries that have disposable income and trade.
The map on the right is a handful of third world shitholes. I'm surprised they even bother.
These flight patterns make perfect sense.
>>
north pole: locked for tourists cuz you could reach it per boat muh leave no trace

south pole: try it
>>
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 277x182)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>2420574
some dry valleys where there is surprisingly no ice. instead, a bunch of rocks and dirt that get weathered and turned hollow from the wind (pic related) after being untouched for millions of years. then beyond that, a polar desert that stretches for over 600 miles.
>>
I work at McMurdo. Its all right, kinda reddit though.
>>
>>2425250
What's the temp right now
>>
>>2418130
>Probably have to bee a scientist/support for a base to get there realistically.
I know heaps of people that have worked down there, mostly mechanics and machine operators.
They're basically running a small city, so if a job exists in your town, it exists there.
Cooks, plumbers, builders, everything.
If you can do a couple of roles it's pretty good too. Like the mechanics I know all work on CAT gear, and could operate one effectively if required for some reason, and fix light vehicles etc.
Private visits aren't allowed, but fuck knows who would police that, I'd say it's self regulating as already mentioned.
If you make it, you wouldn't broadcast it to the world. If you didn't, who would know? There's probably a few people each year that try I'd expect - surely with over 6 gorillion people in the world, a few must give it a go.
>>
>>2425077
I'm not saying its nonsensical that there's no flights over the interior.
I'm saying that its rather easy to access or fly over the coasts and surrounding islands as these credible sounding posts describe >>2424863 >>2424909 >>2425045
But when anons say "you can't go to antarctica" they're not talking about the very very coastal edges of it with tight restrictions against wandering off.
Part of it's just self regulating but you have to be wild ignorant of the international situation going on there to say its conspiratorial that exploration or an actual flyover is virtually impossible outside of the uber rich and connected. The weather self regulates this too though.
>>
>>2418203
Do you like 12 hour shifts and really shitty working conditions?
>>
No
They won't let you near the ice wall proper
Or the temperate normal areas
>>
>>2425354
I understand what you're saying. I spent most of my Time on the coast. however there are lots of opportunities to go inland once you get a job there. For example one of the cooks went with a science trip they were away nearly a month so granted she had already done a lot of cold weather and survival training as is like part of an induction into the work place. Or just get a job with any of the big oil gas coal or iron ore corporations. A large amount of people who work in those industries are frequently coming and going.

>>2425596
It's full of resources. There will be a war fought over it.
>>
>>2418028
yes
you're allowed to go anywhere
the trick is to have the means to fend off anyone trying to say otherwise
>>
>>2425618
>It's full of resources. There will be a war fought over it.
Yup. Some broke as fuck militaries spend buckets on training to be able to operate there.
>>
>>2418028
>Are you allowed to just go to Antarctica?
yes, everybody can go
you should pay $10.000

https://www.argentinianexplorer.com/cruceros-antartida-precios.php
>>
>>2418028
You can go there as a tourist during the summer. Unless you're one of those flat earth ice wall schizos. Then they gun you down as soon as you land.
>>
>>2424338
You'd have to tow a gas boat to have enough gas though
>>
>>2427317
It cant be that hard to getan old cargo ship and stuff it full of rations fuel and equipment for piercing deep into the antarctic plains. Hardest part would be having the money for all of it, but that asode most modern vessels could get there and back ez. Just pack a small helicopter capable of lifting 1000lbs at a time and youre in business. Just unload your shit onto a base and either sail back or scuttle the ship if its a one way trip. Just make sure your ready to fly the german man of war/merchant colors in case you see a periscope eying you up off the bow.
>>
>>2427077
I'm pretty sure you can tour year round if you have the money and the desire to stare at ice water.
>>
If any anons are seriously interested the Americans are building a new giant base down there. Lot of work to be done all around.
>>
>OP asks a question
>a few anons that are actually knowledgeable and have done said thing show up to discuss it
>shitposters flood the thread
>/out/ anons leave
Ah, good representation of /out/
>>
>>2420622
t.Penguin
>>
>>2420581
For me, it's the screaming sixties
>>
>>2420581
>>2434037
For me, you're both larpers that have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>2434038
Hey look, someone made a handy graphic just for retards like you
>>
>>2434039
And you've never experienced it, but you'll come to /out/ and act like you know about it from experience.
>>
The entrance to Hyperborea exists at the true poles: the Nazis knew this. Heinrich Himmler sent 2500 ethnic German Ukrainians to Base 211 some time after his alleged death. Look for the flying saucer - the Haunebu - and it will take you there.
>>
>>2434041
I never said I have. Are you familiar with the "for me" meme? How new are you exactly, namefaggot?
>>
>>2418028
there's claims on Antarctica, but none of them are actually recognized and it's considered a "science preserve" with no one government in control, so if you get caught you get prosecuted by your home country instead of whoever catches you, even then they have to prove you committed a crime which is impossible given there's no written laws except the ones stating you can't take anything from Antarctica
>>
>>2418028
>special rules
Can't take anything with you. E.g; no souvenirs scoured from the landscape like liquid water, ice chunks, snow, rocks, penguins, etc. Might be able to walk away with a postcard or something if there's somehow a giftshop for tourists there. Makes me sad; growing up I wanted a jar full of dirt from each continent.
>>
>>2425331
I think there is probably some kinda cruise or tour guide that gets close to it but I am not really sure.
Also yeah, it's not like there is police or something but bases on the coast always have armed forces either for logistic or just support to the scientists/research.
Still if you are American just ask to go to McMurdo it's a fucking city, there will surely be some empty job.
>>
>>2418028
It's winter now in Antarctica but when it's summer you can go there. There are many Cruise Ships that bring people there.
>>
>>2418028
>re you allowed to just go to Antarctica?
No.

Yes. There's a massive international treaty that covers everything anyone is and is not allowed to do on Antarctica.
>>
>>2425056
>t triggered by a typo.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.