[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 16 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

>Makes you itchy 3 days after you come into contact with it but only if it touches bare skin
>Only creature who can cognitively process where the itchiness comes from and avoid it in the future is the only creature really effected by it
>Does nothing to prevent animals from tramping and stomping it out of existence

What a shitty defense mechanism
>>
I once fell in a bed of nettles
>>
>>2400453
I touched some poison ivy with my hands on purpose a few days ago and nothing happened. Am I immune?
>>
>>2400453
Heh, touch gra-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>2400476
Welcome home, white man
>>
>>2400453
Perhaps the oils that cause an allergic reaction only incidentally trigger immune responses in humans, as opposed to being an evolved defense mechanism.
>>
File: Two-striped-grasshopper.jpg (85 KB, 1000x675)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>2400453
>super slow and stupid
>can be caught easily
>stains your skin orange for a whole week and its impossible to wash off
Nothing personnel...
>>
File: Wild-Parsnip.jpg (249 KB, 1280x960)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
>turns you into a fucking vampire for two years in your path
heh, nothin' personal kidd,,
>>
>>2400482
Made me laugh way too hard lmao
>>
>>2400476
Poison ivy only releases its chemicals when adequate pressure is applied. If you squeezed it or stepped on it and then touched your boots you'd be itching
>>
>>2400453
perhaps it is difficult for deer to eat and I daresay theyd be smart enough to avoid it in the future
>>
>>2400476
>>2402616
Some people are immune. I grabbed a tree that had poison ivy growing up it as a vine which is the most potent form and didn’t get it. I also walk through it a lot with shorts and crocs no problems.
>>
>>2402667
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKEAyXRKa0A&ab_channel=SciShow
nevermind deer and other animals can eat it just fine, it evolved as an antimicrobial agent and apparently it just happens to cause irritation, sort of like capsaicin which didnt evolve to deter mammals from eating it but to stop fungus and microbes though the mechanism that capsaicin and urushiol (the chemical is posion ivy that makes you itch)
make you itch is different. The reason why mexicans and indians are better at eating spice is because those who could tolerate more spice in their food got to eat safer food whereas this selective pressure did not exist in europe as there was no spicy plants and we could just store food outside in the winter.
Or maybe god just made us that way
>>
File: 1646582684960.jpg (37 KB, 400x386)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>2402696
>scishow
>and in other news, here's why parasites might be good for you!
>>
>>2400476
I’ve heard that it builds up overtime and can eventually kill you because of that.
>>
>>2402728
The worm pill is real isn’t it?
>>
>>2400465
the nettle harvesting threads that come around every once in a while are peak comfy
>>
>>2402929
God you just reminded me how good nettle soup is
>>
>>2400476
because it's a hoax, it doesn't do shit
>>
>>2400476
It only affect certain people that received certain amount and certain kinds of non placebo vaccines as kids
>>
>>2400453
>See eithopians children playing by thick poison ivy
>tell kid stuff is bad don't touch it
>little fucker grabs hand full of leaves of wine and smear it one little sister's face
>gives me fuck you whiot boy face

It's been day 8 and I've not seen this little bastard anywhere.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.