[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 87 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

#443-“Summer Slump” Edition

Previous Thread:
>>2395977

janny pls…

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

New Bong Fishin Guide
https://pastebin.com/sDB5SQTq

First for best telescopic rod is the one you exchanged for a 3pc.

Talk about fishin
>>
went jigging today got two nice squid and cooked em up for a buddy and myself :)
feels good man
>>
File: Taser.jpg (151 KB, 1600x1180)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
Anyone ever tried a stun gun to a fishes hehad/brain to stun them? Does it work?
>>
>>2400269
I use a car bettery, but I just toss those into the water
>>
>>2400269
Just set the hook and taser the rod
While you are holding it
>>
>>2400222
Nice anon, ive always wanted to try squid-fishing but i dont think we have them here (SE VA).

>>2400219
Anyone have rec's for a kayak anchor system? Ive seen guys talk about a fancy looking one from yakattack i think
>>
>>2400294
You're probably reading about an anchor trolley. It has a ring on a loop between two pulleys at the bow and stern. You run the anchor line through the ring so that you can move the anchor point on your kayak to the front or back depending on current and where you want to fish.
>>
>>2400338
Yeah that appears to be it. Does it matter where i mount a line pulley if using a trolley setup with it? I want to fish tidal creeks & rivers, just past the breakers on beaches, and bridge pylons for sheepies
>>
>>2400357
I don't have a trolley on any of my yaks so I'm not really sure. I always just drift.
>>
Any recommendations for a full fly fishing setup? Rod, reel, flies, etc.
Budget is around $300

Should I save up and get a better rod for more money or can I get by?
>>
>>2400294
I use a grapling anchor on my SUP. I've seen people make their own trolley system by tying knots and attaching carabiners to the front, back, and the line again. I just hook to the side of mine but there are plenty of youtube videos for kayaks
>>
>>2400357
you want the anchor on the front or the back if that's what you're asking. say you're fishing in a current like a river, you don't want the kayak anchored sideways in that current, it's a guaranteed rollover.
>>
File: 1655920678818.jpg (26 KB, 722x589)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>2400219
Be honest your a big fan of fishingfloridawater.com we all anonymous on here except Skid and Kevin the wannabe Van Dam
>>
File: femboyflorida.png (232 KB, 800x800)
232 KB
232 KB PNG
>>2400394
dont you have femboys to watch
>>
>>2400269
That seems fucking sketchy to use with wet hands.

That being said, those tasers are surprisingly cheap on Amazon, try it out and post results.
>>
>>2400269
I'm no electrical engineer so forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the electricity mostly travel across the wet outside of the fish and only a small part of the voltage go into it's brain
>>
>>2400390
A trolley allows you to move your anchor point to the bow or stern, but ya for sure you don't want to be sideways in a river.
>>
>>2400403
I am an electrical engineer and you are probably correct. The current will travel along the shortest path along the fish's skin. Tasers are meant to hurt/stun, not kill. To kill you will need a something more powerful. If you want to be an hero you could build a taser out of a microwave transformer and capacitor.
>>
>>2400384
Echo lift kit for rod/reel/line, and I could
Get you some flies for a fair price depending on when you'd need them by
>>2400269
I wouldn't try it
>>2400222
Trips confirm congrats on the squid
>>
File: stripper_outfit.jpg (525 KB, 1200x900)
525 KB
525 KB JPG
>>2400128
>final build
>>
>>2400219
Nice catch! Cool fish too.
>>
>>2400439
Just looking at getting a fresh start on fishing again, time isn't an issue
>>
>>2400222
You the lad who was having trouble catching squid? If so, congrats
>>
>>2400294
I have the cheap anchor trolly system from Academy sports and it works fine. I tell ya what, it changes the way you fish from a kayak. I love mine. I can anchor in exactly the position I want and sit in one spot, even in a good wind. It's great.
>>
File: 20211203_015917.jpg (2.46 MB, 3264x2448)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>2400448
Looks good to me
>>2400500
Yeah if time isn't an issue I can give you an email address and we could see about setting up an order or something. Were you planning on getting waders with your fly set up? And what would you be wanting to target? Bass? Trout? Saltwater fish? Panfish? Salmon?
>>
Can’t wait to try streamer fishing xD
>>
>>2400557
Don't knock yourself in the back of the head with that sexy beast
>>
>>2400557
the thumbnail made me think it was a mouse or chipmunk
>>
What's your fishing superstitions? For me, it's a hash brown to catch browns.
>>
>>2400656
if the salmo hornet aint catching anything, nothing's going to catch
>>
>>2400656
I always apologize to bait fish before cutting them up
>>
>>2400656
No banana on the boat and first cast first fish is bad luck
>>
>>2400656
If you point out a rainbow Ill tie cinderblocks to your ankles and throw you overboard, that shit is worse for luck than smashing a dozen mirrors
>>
>>2400684
any predator fish I try to treat respectfully
especially sharks
those fuckers are scurry
>>
>>2400519
Sure man, I was just wanting to do panfish/trout although there's not much trout here in ohio at all. Bass are really big here from what I've heard.

Sneedpeddler@gmail.com
>>
>>2400719
>ohio
There's steelhead in the northeast, but I'd say the main species would be carp, bass, and esox. Get a 6 weight and you can make it work for just about all of it. 2/0 flies are no big deal, bluegill will still bend it,, and anything you'd target with 10lb or less mono is basically on the table.
>>
>>2400656
Eat ass, catch bass
>>
>>2400656
I make the tiniest cast first thing. Every single time I've caught a fish first cast (unless fly fishing), I never get another bite the entire day. Caught my PB largemouth this way.
>>
Any tips for carp fishing in small rivers, canals. I've been making these things out of wire with oatmeal corn pack bait. Any recommendations for types of hooks to use
>>
Anyone in North Carolina Triangle area give some advice? I fish from the bank by the way.
>>
>>2400507
not me but thanks, I've had good success with squid recently its an easy cop-out if I cannot manage to bring a fish home lol
>>
File: Bunker.jpg (388 KB, 1508x779)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
Striper anon checking in its been a while but I know you faggots missed me so I'm back. Went out to a salt flat today and there were pods of striper feeding on sand eels in about 3 feet of water. Caught a few on eelie flies pic not related.
>>
Haven't fished in 3 years. Finally dug myself out of a financial hole so I can buy some basic fishing equipment and get started. Just gonna do local municipal ponds when I get off work and try catch two tiny rainbow trout per day.

I'm too stupid to catch catfish
>>
>>2400929
You see Skinner's new video about drifting flutter spoons? he pulled in some fucking COWS.
>>
File: L_Deceiver.jpg (326 KB, 1530x738)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
>>2400937
Nah man I'm not about the spin fagging lifestyle. My wifes grandmother keeps buying me spinfag shit but I refuse to use it. Bought me a rod, reel and plugs but that shit just sits in my garage.
>>
>>2400903
Yeah. What kind of advice?
>>
Anyone familiar with fishing Cape Lookout, NC?
>>
>>2400903
Yes

Zoom mini lizards get a pack of plain black and a green color
1/16 or 1/8oz weight
Fish them slow along the bottom
>>
File: 20220617_160201.jpg (1.96 MB, 4032x1816)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>2400396
So Sir I'm busy working or fishing don't always have time to watch other YouTubers fish if they're busy catching fishing and not teaching their techniques it's kinda boring it's like watching anything of no use to you the whole point is to learn. If I want to fish for pike then I'll watch a few pike videos that maybe talk about places to catch them at and what bait or lure works best at the time of the year.
>>
>>2401044
yeah but Matt you're still a fat retard and your videos suck
>>
>be me days ago
>lose my favorite squid jig on a snag
>old fella makes a joke about retrieving it. says finders keepers
skip to today
>jigging on boat ramp with old fella
>he catches my lost jig with his jig
?????????
>>
>>2401044
who tf asked
>>
>>2401063
If he was a bro he'd give it back, if not he's a dick but you cant really go whining about it
>>
>>2401065
>you cant really go whining about it
I meant to him btw, I feel your pain
>>
>>2401046
They will get better with time. At least the bots like to watch it plus working on a FFW website which will be used to provide stuff that isn't able to be used on YouTube.
>>
>>2401065
of course he gave it back, we are pals.
he popped it in my bucket without me realising.
>>
>>2401071
nice, the old man way
>>
Bluegill/largemouth hybrid?
>>
>>2401152
das a green sunfish
>>
>>2400929
>>2400939
I don’t usually bring my cell phone cause my wife just nags me but here you go.
>>
>>2401157
Thanks anon
>>
File: 20220616_172451.jpg (1.64 MB, 4032x1816)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>2400219
Fish ID please.
>>
>>2401240
Some kinda mullet
>>
File: 20220323_075608.jpg (3.52 MB, 3024x2411)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
>>2400966
Closest I've been to there is frisco, NC. Fishing is probably similar. Point areas like that are hotspots for large drum and sharks. Your local tackle shop will have better info.
Pic rel is a nice pup I caught in the OBX back in april.
>>
Nothing better than an overgrown unfished pond.in the middle of the woods. That's where I've caught all of my monster sunfish species. I guess it's all the insects they have access to that makes them fat.
>>
>>2401258
Reminds me of my dad, used to pack a short rod whenever he went golfing. One or two casts per pond, almost always pulled in a big bass or carp.
>>
>>2401240
It has lipstick?? WHORE i want to fuck its mouth
>>
File: IMG_2006.jpg (3.35 MB, 3024x4032)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB JPG
Did he actually try to hit the lure or did I just snag him? It's as big as he is!
>>
>>2401299
Treble niggers get out. You didnt even crush the barb.
>>
>>2401301
I'm pretty new to fishing, no idea that was even a thing. Do you just crush trebles or single hooks as well?
>>
>>2401306
Ok I'll give you a pass. In general you always want to crush barbs down with a leatherman or something unless you are planning on keeping what you catch. Makes life easier for you and the fish.
I don't spinfag anymore but I always replaced treble hooks with single hooks on crankbaits and other lures. Easier to take out and less damage to the fish.
>>
>>2401299
I'm no bass expert, but I've read that sometimes they just blast stuff and grab it after it is stunned.
>>
File: FWBELX_acAEBWd_.jpg (694 KB, 1058x2048)
694 KB
694 KB JPG
More cute girls with bass
>>
File: E6kO7QfVoAI1Krv.jpg (194 KB, 675x900)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>
>>2401360
>>2401362
Those are guys
>>
>>2401365
Still would, if not for the horrible filter
>>
>>2401389
The worst part is the filter completely ruins the fish, I have no idea what it actually looks like
>>
>>2401397
Looks like every other LMB
>>
>>2401068
I don't watch it so I can't review it but I hope you have a good day :)
>>
are you going fishing on the weekend or are you just buying lures and tackle on the internet while lurking here?
>>
>>2401428
I'm going fishing. I got a new depth finder for my Canoe.
>>
>>2401437
nice have fun
>>
>>2401428
all the streams i frequent are already empty at this date so no point driving there and all my favorite streams have little to no fish anyway
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGhFxYf2ixc

just imagine fishing with that kind of boat near panama, waiting for a big storm to come and then driving out just to surf the waves after a long day of fishing
>>
>>2401493
That's me in my Jon boat when the boomers in 150hp bass boats blow by me like an asshole.
>>
>>2401547
Bass boats ain't shit. At least once a month I end up having some dipshit in a wake surfing boat doing laps around me.
>>
>>2401299
Bass are just fucken retarded and attack anything
>>
Ever since Covid it's nearly impossible to find brand new 10 and 12ft jon boats. You end up having to drive hours to a place that might have 2 left in stock. Are they starting to discontinue small jons or something? I've noticed you mainly only see 14 and 15 footers for sale. I want to find a 1240, that's the perfect size. I love kayaks and canoes, don't get me wrong... but being able to get up and walk around while still on a small draggable boat is great.
>>
>>2401797
the trend is coming to an end and people will move onto the next thing
next fall/winter you can get pretty much everything for cheap when people start to get rid of their instagram outdoors things
>>
>>2401800
It seems Tracker and Alumacraft no longer make flat bottom jons. Only mod v 16ft+ boats. There are still other manufacturers, but maybe they will follow.
>>
>>2401800
I’ve been waiting for the eventual crash but with the economy so shit I’m not even sure how this will play out. You’d think Covid queers who bought a boat because they couldn’t do their normal fag activities anymore would have sold with gas prices the way they are but boat prices are still high near me. I’ve been looking for a decent skiff and everything is so overpriced still.
>>
I don't think most people bought boats because of that reason. Maybe kayaks, but not boats. The supply is just fucked, it's been that way. Dealer I know told me they have been making less boats. Aluminum prices skyrocketed also, that's why Pontoon and Jon boat prices went up.
>>
>>2401761
I've had pretty much every species of fish (freshwater) attack lures several times larger than them. Fish in general are retarded.
>>
if i could have only one salmon spinning rod do i get a 12ft medium-heavy or a 13ft heavy?
>>
>>2401870
>>2401761
>>2401299
He probably tried to attack it but you 100% snagged that fish. Usually when fish are attacking lures the same size of them its not with intent to eat it, it's just attacking out of terretoriality or similar.
>>
>>2401935
Whichever rating is best for the technique/bait weight you use.
>>
Any knot nerds here?
I switched to some lighter perch gear and went down to 8lbs braid, but now whenever I snag hard and have to break off, the braid breaks before my terminal knot slips. I would prefer the terminal knot slipping before the braid snaps so I dont have to retie my leader when it happens.
Currently using 8lbs sunline braid, fg knot to 15lbs fluoro, clinch knot to lure.
>>
>>2402214
that's gotta be a very small window
>>
>>2402214
i never use less than 10lb braid. you could downsize to 10lb flouro?
>>
>>2402214
There aren't any fishing knots that will cause a 50% loss in strength Improved clinch and clinch are some of the weakest and they will hold around 70% if seated well. You could tie an overhand knot in the leader, close to the lure since that weakens line by about 50%. Alternatively, switch to 8lb leader material and use clinch knots.
>>
>>2401256
What setup did you use to catch that?
>>
really starting to hate my local river. its chocolate milk all the time, the current is strong and its fucking full of rocks. wish i wasnt such a sperg and grew the nuts to knock on some doors, there are tons of places to fish here but its all fucking private.
>>
Going sea fishing next month north west coast (England). Going mackerel fishing with feathers first time using feathers. Any tips or advice?
>>
>>2402516
Sounds like my river. I pretty much only fish right at the inflowing rivers(don't have a loicense for the inflowing rivers) where there is clear water flowing into the big muddy river(its either milky blue or brown)
>>
>>2402486
Whole fresh shrimp on a circle hook, fish finder rig, casted maybe 20 ft from shore on a 7 ft walmart rod. 20 lb mono. Puppy drum swim very close to shore, no need to heave it as hard as you can.
>>
>>2402734
Pic rel is one of my surf fishing rods, the zebco bite alert. The bite alert thing is cringy and useless, but the rod and reel itself are decent enough. Catches sharks, rays, drum, and blues no problem.
>>
Best bait for bullhead? Tried corn and old anchovies from the fridge but didn’t even get a bite. Any winners so should try or am I just retarded?
>>
>>2402838
I just use worms
>>
>>2401360
>>2401362
yuck
>>
>>2402838
bullhead will eat anything and aren't near blind like some people assume. I have caught them on lures via slowly jigged jigs. I also don't find literally having your bait touching the bottom to be that effective. Having the bait suspended off the bottom seems to work better.
>>
>>2402883
how long of a leader do you use? I fish in pretty shallow ponds mostly (3-6 feet deep in most parts) so I’m worried something longer than 6 inches or so might not be deep enough
>>
>>2400939
Anon why you leave off the gills?
>>
>>2401240
That's a mullet. How you caught that is beyond me.
>>
>>2402516
What's your state? Here in TX many rivers are like that, but with a caveat. Property owners can't own the river, only the bank. That is unless it's a 'non-navigable' river (ie, less than 30 feet wide on average). Meaning, find a put in, float wherever you want, and there's not a fucking thing stupid boomers can do about it. There used to be this old coot and his hag wife who ALWAYS yelled at people for floating by their land. I made a point to always anchor 10 ft off their bank, get out and wade with my back turned to them. I made that fucker yell so much one day his voice went out, lol.
>>
File: 1 kalastus 44.png (313 KB, 868x499)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
i have been fishing my whole life but never really got to experience the real big actually natural fish outside of occasional pike
it´s always the same stocked rainbows wherever you go or sometimes literally hundreds of 10cm sized brook trout/grayling per year with fly rod
you always hear people who have money boast how they take these yearly expensive drinking vacations to places where they fish for salmon for few days under strict surveillance

i like fishing overall and quantity has it´s own merit but reading these threads always makes me really jealous of how i have no access to actual fishing rivers
lately i started doing bobber fishing for perch roach and bream and while it makes me feel like a 10 year old again it´s fun and it always works
>>
>>2402905
It's the same here in Canada. Land owners can own the shore and the bottom, but the water and fish are fair game. We have the Heritage Act here so you can uno reverse busybodies if they lie about owning the water or property that was "trespassed" on.
>>
>>2402895
Bought it at the tackle shop
>>
all the water has been chocolate lately for no apparent reason(no heavy rain recently). I'm talking some places that I've never seen chocolate in decades.
>>
File: e607b71f1acd7e0f.jpg (80 KB, 960x540)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>was today fishing with cousin
>catched nothing
>cousin catched perch one by one
>he is in a fishing club
>i want to join too because as a member you can fish the local river
>there is a carp tournament in 2 weeks
>cousin has to watch over the youth
>he is alone because the other ward is on vacation then
>he ask me if i want to help so the club members can meet me and get a good impression
>have to learn carp fishing so i can help the youth with problems and rigging
>have no idea
>literally no idea
>can't even catch predators
help!

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
I'm a beginner shorefag how do I catch something other than sunfish? What are some rigs to start out with as a beginner?
>>
>>2403133
>put earthworm on stick with a line and hook attached to it. (Worm goes on hook)
>Put hook in water holding stick
>Catch fish
Why is it supposed to be hard and why do greedy business people want to sell you the latest fiberglass super fishcatcher 5000 dollar generation 1488 fishing rod
>>
What leader should I pair with 30lb braid? I have trilene mono 12lb and vanish fluro 10lb in my box right now. Mostly going to be used in open ponds with 1/4oz to 1oz soft and hard bodied swimbaits. Going to join them with a double uni
>>
File: Spinner.jpg (7 KB, 252x200)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>2403146
depends on the species in your area that you want to target, but pic rel is pretty versatile, easy to use, and fish can't swallow it. just make sure you don't get ones that are too big, which a lot of the ones marketed are. they have huge thick hoks that will go right through the eye on small bass or be hard to get out due to large barbs. you can usually find smaller ones in store, with like a 1/0 or 2/0 hook. 1/4oz johnson beetlespin will also work on bass. smaller paddle tail swimbaits under 4" or so are also good. basically size up so the sunfish don't really target them, but don't go too big because some fish are too finicky to hit the big shit.
>>
>>2403159
12lb trilene might bee too thick for the smaller stuff, but will work good for the heavier swimbaits. I trust Trilene more than most lines because you can feel the stretch before it breaks.
>>
>>2403168
Panfish are assholes. I’ve caught numerous green sunfish and bluegill on senkos and creature baits. I always feel so bad trying to get a fuck huge hook out of their mouths
>>
>>2403170
The smaller swim baits are going to be boot tails like a Keitech 3.8 on a keel weighted hook. The larger 1oz is going to be some of those Bio Gills. You think the 12lb might be a bit much for the smaller stuff? I can definitely throw those on a different rod (7’ MF 8lb straight fluoro), I just wanted to use one rod (7’3” HF) for all variety of swim baits, but don’t have to
>>
>>2403171
green sunfish will hit decent sized baits since they are aggressive and have a larger mouth, don't really have that problem with bluegill though. usually it will be a big green sunfish that hits a big bass spinner though, and they are worth the catch.
>>
>>2403177
the 12lb will probably be fine, idk gotta try. trilene xl is more limp that similar test line.
>>
>>2403177
the front treble likes getting wrapped around the line on casts 1/3 times for me. I need to put a smaller treble on the front of mine before I use it anymore.
>>
>>2403179
I do absolutely catch more green sunnies than I do bluegill on bass rigs but yeah I’m always surprised when I get them closer to the water. Caught this guy on a wacky senko not too long ago. Somebody said when his color gets all dark and the forehead is big like that he’s crushing pussy and it made me laugh
>>2403181
Thanks, my biggest question was really the mono vs fluro situation as a leader to braid for swimbaits. Everything I’ve gathered informationally leads me to want to use mono as a shock absorber opposed to the low visibility but likelihood of a break off with fluoro. I have a huge spool of big game that I can finally start getting through
>>
>>2403189
i don't think they notice line as much on a bait that's being retieved at speed. flouro is usually marketed towards finesse fishing or extremely light crankbaits and such so they reach their intended depth..
>>
>>2403182
I did notice it helicoptering when I took it to the pond yesterday although I havent got tangled up. Might have to do that myself if it starts happening to me
>>2403199
The majority of my experience with bass has been finesse and it’s all I really know at the moment. I have been fishing this rod with straight braid throwing single hook lures and frogs with no issue. Haven’t thrown many treble lures like the bio gill and I understand that you want a bit of give with trebles
>>
>>2400294
made a DIY one the other day
100' of paracord
old coffee can
eye hook + washers + bolt
and some gravel

>basically poke a hole in the bottom of the can and put eye bolt through it with the 'eye' portion inside the can and use a washer + bolt on the outside of the can
>tie the paracord onto the eye, and run through the lid of the coffee can
>poke a few holes in the can to let air escape once submerged
>fill with gravel of your choice
>>
Is river fishing during high waters and fast current just shit? I have only got one bite in 5 different locations so far this year, super high river and fast current too though.
>>
This was PRETTY BIG for off the beach. I usually just bring in three-footers over some beer but this guy was an absolute unit
>>
>>2403282
Florida?
>>
>>2403282
Cast, or yak/drone out the bait for that one?
>>
>>2403168
what sort of rig should I be using for baits like those or senkos? Like should I use a bobber?
>>
I'm looking for a baitcaster for the following saltwater applications:

Wading (lures and pop n cork)
jetties (lures and pop n cork)
small offshore in kayack (lures)

I've narrowed it down to these three but wanted to ask what y'all thought about them:

Daiwa Costal SV
13 Fishing Concept C gen 2
Quantum Smoke S3 PT

Any help input would be greatly appreciated
>>
>>2403311
no, you just cast it out and reel it in. reel it fast enough to keep it off the bottom
>>
>>2403311
and for senkos you just jig them pretty close to the bank.
>>
>>2403295
South Carolina
>>2403306
Cast. Fought it for a good while, was really just out there enjoying the stars, not expecting much
>>
>>2402756
lol...
>>
>>2403332
Piscifun Alijoz
Daiwa Lexa 300
Small Conventionals like Daiwa SL20SH
>>
>>2403311
Senkos are pretty much a year round any time any place soft plastic with a lot of versatility for bank fishing. I like fishing them on a Texas rig with or without weight depending and wacky rigged. You can also Carolina rig, dropshot and shakeyhead fish them. Get the 5” in green pumpkin with whatever color flake, and black with whatever color flake. Those two colors will cover just about every light and water clarity situation
>>
>>2402838
halal chicken soaked in garlic
>>
how do you decide where to go fishing?
Can’t decide if I want to fish the surf, the bay, or even inshore tomorrow morning
>>
>>2403279
Takes a lot of energy for fish to fight current, if it’s too strong they’re going to avoid it.
See if you can find an area where current meets calm water, predators are in the calm water scanning the current for baitfish.
>>
>>2403341
The fish don't care what combo you use. As long as you can hook a fish and reel it in, use whatever you like. I've caught 10 lb drum on a microstik for the lulz.
>>
>>2403368
Conditions I guess. Or just pack up everything in the car and hit which ever seems fishable.
>>
>>2403368
that should all depend on the wind, swell and tides..
u dont get to decide mfker
>>
>>2402734
>>2402756
Thanks
That’s a beautiful drum you caught btw

Hoping to catch a drum myself but given that it’ll be my first time surf fishing in many many years I’ll be happy with anything lol

I think I still have a 9’ rod sitting around my parents’ garage somewhere so I'm gonna bring that but if it’s been thrown out I’ll bring one of my bass rods
>>
>>2403368
Are you me?
Hampton roads, VA. I'm gonna hit the beach tomorrow morning. Hit a pier on the way back if the bite is slow.
>>
Has anyone nypmhed with a cane pole?
>>
>>2400656
I like to give the river the occasional mercury dime as a thanks
>>
>>2403441
I have what's up
>>
>>2403461
What was the rig you used can you explain
>>
>>2403461
I've read about how old fly techniques was just a long 12 foot stick and roughly 12-14 feet of line and they would let a nymph bounce alone the current
>>
>>2402887
not really sure what you are asking. try to have your bait within a foot of the bottom. although when they are in shallow not as critical.
>>
>>2403441
Thats pretty much tenkara fishing isnt it?
>>
>>2403635
Tenkara is using a thin whippy pole with specialized line to fling a fly into pools

I'm talking about a more primitive way to fly fish that's kinda a lost art in the modern world
>>
>>2403635
In a book I read called "Fly fishing secrets of the ancients" there's an old technique where they would use a 15-20 foot wooden pole with 3-9 flies on the line and use the wind and current of the river to get the flies into the hole
>>
>>2403635
I'm basically asking if anyone has ever done anything that low tech before and if they had a lot of success and fun
>>
is a shimano tx7 + daiwa emblem 45 a waste of money for carp fishing? I want to upgrade from my kid rods
>>
>>2403678
god damn both of those items are so ugly?
i just wanted to see what you deemed possibly a waste of money
>>
>>2403714
what combo should I get then? I want something I can keep for years and years without problems.
>>
>>2403717
i dont fish for shitty carp but im sure one of those retards will tune in eventually and can help.
>>
>>2403718
is carp haram in the US?
>>
>>2403724
how would I know
>>
>>2403282
Wew
Congrats
Wish i could catch something like that
>>
File: 1656338404808.jpg (3.16 MB, 3070x1319)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
I <3 salmon
>>
>>2403836
is that a musty
>>
>>2403845
No, its a salmon
>>
>>2403836
trout always look like they are screaming when cought
>>
>>2403850
thank you
>>
What's a good lake striper lure for trolling at 2.5-3.5mph?
>>
File: WP_20190717_18_29_53_Pro.jpg (1.58 MB, 2592x1456)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>2403717
I used an 8'6" ugly stick and an Okuma stinson spinning reel for years. Still going strong. I like 30lb braid for the mainline and 20lb braid for my hair rig leaders. Don't get anything too nice as it will get slime and sticky corn juice on it eventually.
>>
File: 20220627_110240.jpg (2.13 MB, 1814x2419)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
My arm is so sore. Caught about 50 shad yesterday.
>>
Whats the most expensive lure you've bought? Did you buy more?
>>
>>2403969
That's not a carp tho but closely related. I hope you got some good fighting out of it
>>
>>2403969
isn't 8 feet tiny for carp? Everyone in eastern europe uses 13 footers with big pit reels
>>
>>2403987
I'm pretty sure we got rich anons with $200+ glides
>>
I love fishing bros, but I'm scared of picking up bait shrimp with my hands. They're just so voracious and lively and try to jump away when the hook gets near.

I've dumped a dozen fiddlers and two dozen shrimp because I'm scared of getting bit or snapped by the shrimp.
>>
>>2403987
Nothing crazy, but I'm still scared to throw it.
>>
What's your excuse for not owning a boat? It's cheaper than you think! around $950+taxes and registration for a brand new 10-12ft aluminum jon boat $115 trolling motor, $90 battery. a battery charger. cheap paddle, life vest, and medical kit because it's required by law. you can put it in the bed of a truck. even if you don't have a truck, a DIY $600 Harbor Freight trailer will do the job.
>>
>>2404046
I don't know how to swim
>>
File: 20211015_152655.jpg (1.82 MB, 3264x2448)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>2403582
>20 foot pole
>15 feet of #25 mono
>micro swivel
>3 feet of #12 mono
>size 8 whitw balanced bugger
>1/2 inch thingamabobber near the micro swivel
Then just dead drift it
>quarter up stream
>follow float with pole tip
>choke up and down the pole as needed
>set the hook if the strike indicators does anything
>if not float it as far as you can then reset and quarters upstream again. You can get 30 foot drifts if you're careful about it
>>2403595
That's a thing
>>2403635
Exactly tenkara fishing
>>2403668
It's a pole with a string and a fly and anyone who says different probably thinks the katana is history's greatest sword, too.
>>2403672
Yup swinging flies is a very traditional technique. Effective, too.
>>2403836
Salmon are awesome
>>2403851
I'd be screaming too like holy shit I just got abducted by aliens
>>
>>2403970
I want to fly fish for them so bad
>>2404040
>numbers confirm op is a pussy
Have you tried dead bait?
>>
>>2404049
that's what a life jacket is for.
>>
So I never really fish with lures but I’m thinking about trying it for fun today. I’m going to be fishing Utah River so I’m going to use a floating lure. In all of your experience is it necessary to use floating line as well?
>>
>>2404064
Pic not related*
>>
>>2404064
Regular line is fine.

But I seldom see line advertised as floating unless it’s for fly fishing. Mono floats, but not strongly, fluoro sinks, but not strongly, and braid is in the middle. All three work just fine with Rapalas.
>>
>>2404064
Fluoro will make the smallest topwater lure sit ever so slightly under the surface of the water, if even.
>>
File: pike eve.jpg (117 KB, 1104x573)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
was catching a lot of perch some 30 cm+ so it was a good day. Caught this pike on the way back home was a very nice way to finish the trip
>>
File: PXL_20220627_230459928~2.jpg (1.58 MB, 3164x1899)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>2403987
My two most expensive, Megabass I-Slide 262T in Hasu (100$) and Deps 250 in Flash Carp (170$). Both have caught multiple musky and pike so I consider it worth.
>>
My boomer friend was telling me about a catch last time, retrospectively I feel like I should have given him more praise and interrest for his story and make him feel more special. Such is life with assburgers.
>>
>>2403748
Thanks man, it was a good catch for me
>>
>>2404008
It's definitely a common carp. Probably just a weird angle.
>>
Went out today at low tide for some surf fishing. Big wind and rain today so the surf was up but ended up with two stripers both below the slot. Caught them on an eelie again. Stripers can't get enough of sand eels
>>
>>2404206
Nice pike. Looks healthy.
>>
You guys eat the fish you catch?
>>
File: 20220627_183548.jpg (2.72 MB, 1814x2419)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
>>2404013
Works just fine. Especially if your fishing anywhere with brush or trees. 13 ft. Rod might be feasible at a manicured swim in a euro pond but in the real wild its just gonna piss you off. Depends how you fish I guess.
>>
Is there anything more I can do when fighting a bigger fish other than letting him run and keeping him out of structure? How should I be setting the drag?
>>
>>2404346
I am a fly guy but I set my drag so that when the fish pulls he can take line but not without effort. Basically set your drag to the point where you think your line would break if there was any more pressure. You don't want to let the fish take line freely they should have to work even when running.
>>
>>2404335
>You guys eat the fish you catch?
wouldnt go fishing if I didnt get something to eat
>>
Practicing my casting and had a fly come back and hit me in the eye was not wearing glasses. Didnt do any damage thank God. Gonna have to get some flat light glasses anyone have recommendations on glasses or how my dumb ass can prevent this bought the orvis beginner guide book
>>
>>2400941
General fishing advice, I feel like I am resulting less than I can.

>>2400967
I have some purple ones that seem to work in the early morning just when the sun rises. I'll try these outs.
>>
>>2404394
Yeah wear glasses when you fly fish, always. Any gas station cheapest are fine, but polarized is always better.
>>
>>2404394
Depends on how much you want to spend. Ugly Stik Spartans in amber/camo are like 20 bucks and I have liked them for what they are. You could also pick up a pair of smith low light ignitors for 10x more. They are nicer but I only invest big bucks into a more general pair of glasses. I have a pair of Smith Techlite polarchromic copper glasses and they are great for all but the darkest conditions. I wear the spartans if its really dark.
>>
>>2404513
Im thinking about getting some yellow polarized lenses for my raybans for the flat light
>>
>>2404522
Ray bans are a rip off. Go on steepandcheap they have a bunch of smiths and costa glasses on sale. I would recommend getting glass because plastic lens scratch easy and don't have as much clarity.
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (40 KB, 400x392)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
do disnmores split weights contain lead or no? Can't find a clear answer, appareantly they're allowed to export actual lead from U.K. to Germany, but can't sell anything containing actual lead in the U.K. itself? They're marked non toxic on the dispenser. I bought pic rel, SG (1.2g) and it doesn't say 'non toxic'. How can I easily distuingish between pewter and lead at home? Does pewter melt not the same as lead over a candle or something?
>>
>>2404617
Whats the problem with lead weights? Are you gonna eat the lead or something?
>>
>>2404621
uhmmm....... lets say I sometimes, by accident.... you know when you wanna clamp some splits on your line and do that with like, your mouth, yyyou know 'biting' them...?
>>
>>2404624
I always use pliers.
>>
File: IMG_20220628_100340.jpg (244 KB, 720x1520)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>2404617
wrote dinsmores and they answered quick, am surprised
>>
File: fish_holiday.900.jpg (49 KB, 800x800)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>tenkara
i ordered a couple of 4m telescopic bait poles (carp poles) because they're $10 each and $3 for a pair of premade foam bobber/line/sinker/hook rigs, gonna take my gf worming for smol browns because she's too scared of breaking anything more expensive than that. when she becomes confident i'll have her inherit a light trout spinner combo that i hardly ever use anymore
>>
>>2404635
The other way to easily tell is that pewter is FAR harder than lead. Tin is a bit closer to lead in hardness, but is bright and shiny so it’s more likely to spook a fish or cause them to hit the sinker instead of the bait.
>>
I go carp fishing in the UK, and I have attached a basic picture of the rig I use. I catch carp on this and touch wood I cant really say I have ever lost a carp on it. Basically I have an 18lb mainline which goes down to a 1.5/2kg lead weight and on the mainline is as swivel which has a 25lb braid going to a size 8 hook with a hair rig. I usually use halibut pellets on it with a pva bag of more halibut pellets. I catch regularly with it, last weekend I caught 14 carp from 8lb to 15lbs with the largest being 19lbs and this is consider one of the more difficult waters, my largest from the lake is 26lbs.
But I feel like there is something very wrong with me using this set-up like I am not suppose to or for it to not even work. Yet I never had issues, it works where ever I go. Anyone see anything potentially wrong with this?
>>
File: my rig.png (7 KB, 855x255)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>2404856
Forgot to mention, there is nothing stopping the swivel from going up and the lead and the knot I used stops it from coming off.
>>
>>2404856
American here, trying to get into carp fishing, as there are tons where I live. I've mastered tying hair rigs, but could you explain what a pva bag is, how to rig it up, and where it would go in the diagram you posted? Also any additional carp tips, especially what to look for in a body of water that indicates carp may be present, would be greatly appreciated.
>>
New to fishing, read the bass FAQ and I'm going to try and catch bass in the hellhole that is Tempe Town Lake (a big stocked concrete reservoir). Should I trust the sticky, with the lake being murky water, and go gold, and a dark blue bait?
>>
>>2404929
If you're new to fishing, you're better off using bait. Worms, crawdads, etc. Lures require actual skill, and failing to catch anything on a shiny spinnerbait can be very discouraging to newcomers.
>>
File: panfish.jpg (205 KB, 1280x720)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
So do y'all usually fish with others or solo? Thinking of going out and trying for some bream and catfish this evening, but I feel a little weird about going alone.
>>
>>2404932
I've caught maybe 13 trout from a boat using spinners? I don't mind going home empty handed. I know enough to tie knots and watch the line/rod end for bites.
>>
>>2404929
I tend to have better luck with gold spinners in all water conditions, but I still catch stuff on silver even in murky water. Half of the job of a spinner is to cause vibration, the flash is only half of it. My go-to brown water combo is gold blade and black&chartreuse plastic.
>>
>>2404936
I fish with others half of the time but I honestly prefer going alone. More fish for you, nobody is spooking them, and it's just more peaceful. 99% of people fish alone, so you're not gonna look weird.
>>
>>2404887
>>2404937
Good mindset, you don't learn anything soaking bait. Noise and vibration is more important in murky water. Something like a spinnerbait, chatterbait, crankbait/jerkbait with rattles will be more effective than properly selected colors.
>>
>>2404936
from the bank? I enjoy solo 100% more
from the boat, not sure since I have to join a buddy for that, but since it's a longer trip I think some company is nice. But only if it's someone where you can sit in silence without it being awkward or talk about the most mundane shit like how great the weather is without feeling you're forcing a shit convo
>>
File: GS271486.jpg (210 KB, 2000x2000)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
How many sections your most used rods have? One piece rods are nice no doubt about it but they sure are pain in the ass to move around.
>>
File: bail.png (617 KB, 1080x713)
617 KB
617 KB PNG
Why shimano put so awful bails to their even more premium lineup?
>>
>>2405078
One piece/always assembled 2 piece or telescopic rod. With telescopic rod I can just have it all rigged and assembled also in collapsed state.
Setting up and disassambling a multi piece is just a total pain in the butt and I wouldn't bother unless you keep it assembled many days.
>>
Am i the only one who hates screw in handles? Like who thought that its a good idea to add a giant hole to your reel to attract dirt and give you one more part to keep track of? Not so big deal if you never need to remove it but if you are like me and use rod cases it is really annoying.
>>
>>2404887
I guess there will be differences between how Americans fish and how we fix but essentially a PVA bag is made from the glue but turned into either a mesh or a plastic (I use mesh) I then create a bait bag (size of your fist) full of 8mm halibut pellets (buy in bulk from eBay) I then hook it with the hairrig also having a 12mm halibut pellets and cast out. At the start of a session I would recast every 30 mins or so to build up the area and then leave it gradually longer unless I have a bite. I see people spend hundreds on "premium bait" or just using bucket loads but the lake I fish at is 5acre and it is fine. I'll send a picture or something tomorrow if I have the time.
>>
File: my rig2.png (1.19 MB, 3036x1348)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
>>2404887
Me again, I realised I missed a lot of stuff out on my orignal post, and also talked a lot of shit, I use 1.5/2oz leads not kg. I also use 16lb mainline and 15 for my hair rig, I made a new paint image of what I do.

Generally speaking my first thing I would do is look for a feature, islands, lilly pads, overhanging trees, carp will be here, there is no argument against it. But if your place is featureless you will need to find stuff like sandbars where you can bait up. If I go to any lake I will see people go out to the middle and put a shit ton of bait out which is silly to me, I just put a few pva bags out and wait. But defiantly the most important is to look for features. See my pic, I hope it loads okay. If you have any questions just ask.
>>
>>2405131
Fyi I use 12lb was a typo I will also send a picture of my rig tomorrow.
>>
File: malemuthky.jpg (2.4 MB, 2268x4032)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
Fresh catch on the Deps 250. Small male musky, 39". Absolutely crushed it on the figure 8. Are glidebaits the prefect musky lure? Any other musky fishermen care to weigh in?
>>
>>2405142
This mfer always get them for me
>>
>>2405142
I dunno if glidebaits are the perfect musky lures, but they are some of my favorite ones.
>>
>>2404937
Ah, my bad. I assumed you had literally never fished before.
>>
File: lil guy.jpg (176 KB, 958x969)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>2404962
>>2405030
Well I ended up going on my own and conditions weren't great but I caught this lil mf
>>
>takes your bait, your rod, your wallet, and your gf
hehe nothing personnel kid
>>
File: PXL_20220629_005632600.jpg (1.43 MB, 2592x1944)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>2405168
All good, I'll take all the advice I can get. That being said if anyone wants to give me their 2 cents about bass fishing I would appreciate it. Pretty sure I'll go with crankbait.
>>
File: 1640647263497.jpg (41 KB, 482x373)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Bass swallowed the hook and I killed it trying to take it out. Feels fucking bad bros. Took it home to eat so it wouldn't be a waste at least
>>
>>2403987

$50 knife jigs for jigging tuna or $90 wahoo trolling lures
>>
>>2405232
You saved the life of countless frogs, insects, and other small fish.
>>
>>2403987
$225 6.5" bluegill glide and a $175 7.5" shad glide from the same guy. Homemade glidebaits.
>>
File: rhody_flatwing.jpg (268 KB, 1536x881)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
I am starting to believe that an 8 wt is not a serious surf fishing rod. I usually don't fish the surf until fall and use my 10 wt to deal with the wind but I've been surf fishing a considerable amount and find an 8 wt lacking in guts on all but the calmest days.
The issue is that a 10 wt is not the most enjoyable to fish all day. Are 9 weights a meme or will it have more balls than an 8 wt and be less of a beast to cast than a 10 wt?
>>
>>2405310
>Are 9 weights a meme
They are a meme but your assumption is right about the performance. What 10wt and line do you have? I fish a 10wt and 12wt+ rod all day in the wind for musky with no issues.
>>
>>2405310
9 weights are a meme
>>
>>2405313
My 10 wt is a tfo axiom 2x. I like the rod a lot but after a day of casting it in the surf I can feel it. I fish outbound short lines on my 10 weight since I use it for high wind situations and I hate carrying tons of line in beach wind especially if it's coming over your right shoulder.
Maybe I'm just a puss?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.