[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

How do you guys handle passing by others on trails? It's too nerve racking for me to handle. Is it normal to not say anything or should I greet them?
>>
File: 1655152929515.jpg (550 KB, 800x800)
550 KB
550 KB JPG
Let the lead trip the snag wire. Wait for the shrapnel to end, by then the guy on the other end of the L should be engaging the rear of the patrol. As they turn, and the shrapnel is gone, rise to engage the front. It's really a matter of knowing, so you can set up properly, avoiding crossfire and all.
Stay off the path, stay off creek paths. Easy
>>
So you’re the anemic retard I saw walking the Highline trail. Stay inside next time you fucking weirdo.
>>
>>2398916
I don't like it either. I'd just say something generic and nice like, "Beautiful out today", or just smile and nod.
>>
>>2398921
Wrong. Two charges to get the job done.
Let them dust themselves off, clack.
>>
Just keep looking forward and act like they don't exist.
>>
>>2398925
Hard to smile when my day has been ruined by their presence. Reeeeeee!
>>
>>2398916
my friends hate it when i say hello to passers by, they hate it so much it has become it´s own thing and they sometimes pretend they don´t know me
>>
>>2398916
Depends on how busy the trail is

>trails like the one in your pic where there is a whole line of people or large groups of people
Just hike on without acknowledging anybody

>More secluded trail with very few people
Greet them and maybe chat with them depending on how receptive they are

>See someone off-trail
Let them have their space. They're off-trail for a reason and so are you
>>
>>2398932
Isn't it strange how apprehensive you get to someone doing the exact same thing as you. What are YOU doing in MY woods?
>>
>>2398916
>g'day
>>
>>2398916
>Hiking on trails where you actually see other people
Do east coasters really?
>>
>>2398935
Your friends sound like introverted pussies.
>>
>>2398916
hello or a simple nod
then find another trail
>>
>>2398916
"Howdy" or "morning/afternoon/evening" if passing by each other.
"On your left" if I'm passing them because they're slower traffic.
Who keeps making these stupid threads?
>>
>>2398977
Only people in the “flyover states” (aka, real America) and the PNW find solitude outdoors. The coasts are packed to the gills with people.
>>
>>2399021
>PNW
>Solitude
Tell me you have never hiked in the PNW without telling me you have never hiked in the PNW. Washington and Oregon are every bit as crowded as New Hampshire and New York.
>>
>>2398981
we don´t meet that many people this happens maybe 2 times per year and it´s more of a cultural thing, finnish people don´t usually talk much
they want to walk on paths because "it´s easier" and pay the price of me greeting people
>>
>>2398916
Beg them for water and once they hand it over just pour it out in front of them and continue hiking.
>>
>>2398916
Just greet them normally you autistic shit
>>
>>2399039
>Reddit colloquialism
Only the coasts are crowded. For some reason people in that part of the country are scared to drive a few hours to hike. It’s uncanny.
Oregon ranks 39th in population density and 5th in public land. If you can’t find solitude then you’re doing something wrong. Have you tried leaving the city?
>>
>>2398939
This anon goes /out/.
>>
>>2398916
Just say howdy, set aside and let them pass. Keeping your spaghetti in you pocket isn't difficult. I manage this quite well with a handgun on my hip and a rifle on my chest.
>>
>>2398916
Just say 'hi', it will get you out of your comfort zone and unironically improve your life to be a little more courageous
>>
>>2398957
Well? Answer the question. What are you doing in my woods, /in/cel?
>>
If they're white I just smile at them. I force an erection and bark at black people though.
>>
>>2398916
i dont wear my glasses so things are already awkward since my eye contact judgement distance is a fraction of theirs

within 10 feet i make eye contact, if its a good person (can tell by their eyes) i smile and then they smile and both of our days are better

if its a bad person (most fall in this category) i just stare right through them making it known that i consider them lower than a tree. All assholes with off leash dogs get the latter treatment.
>>
How have you people grown up to be such pussies? I see this same garbage on reddit posts about hiking. You know right off the bat you have something in common with this person. How the fuck is this nerve wracking?
>>
>>2399332
>I see this same garbage on reddit posts about hiking
you should just go back there, cool guy
this is an autist safe space
>>
>>2399338
You fucking faggots and your safe spaces.
>>
File: cf1.jpg (6 KB, 200x200)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
El classico
>>
>>2398916
If you want to say something, then do it. If not just keep on walking.
>>
>>2399332
Not op, but trying being a neet for 5+ years.
>>
>>2398939
This is the correct, in depth answer.
Only think I'll add, is if you're climbing a mountain, or the track is very narrow, and someone moves off the path to let you pass, always say thank you.
>>
>>2399088
Checked and keked
>>
>>2399252
I'd rather the dog be well behaved and off leash than a shithead dog on a leash tangling around as it and the owner try to go seperate ways around me.
Train your dog to listen to your commands, and establish yourself as the leader and it will do everything it can to keep you happy.
>>
>>2398916
run behind a tree and wait for them to pass
>>
>>2399357
No. That's a daily choice to be a loser. I went to prison. I graduated high school there, went to college, fought wildfires, and learned to work on small motors and our crew vehicles. I'll bet I had more of a reason to be anxious around people when I got out, and I still wasn't nearly the social retard as you guys are from making a daily choice to do nothing with your lives.
>>
>>2398916
>i didnt know there were wild monkeys in these woods
>>
>>2399225
>Just say 'hi'
This terrifies the /out/ist.
>>
>>2399346
Kek I used to do this but have realised it's way less awkward to just say hi. Everyone here in the UK just say hi to each other
>>
>>2398916
Scream. Make lots of noise. Whistle. Become unpredictable.
That'll make them go away.
>>
>>2399400
That'll get a gun drawn on you for sure.
>>
File: 1633379977382.jpg (101 KB, 720x1278)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>2398916
I always bark a loud "Ahoi", which is a bit uncommon, so most people don't know what to say.
Sometimes i get an awkward "hello" back, sometimes they just look at me with dump sheepish eyes.

Kidding, i usually say "Hello" and or nod and get the same back. Sometimes i ask about the way ahead or water sources, sometimes i get asked.

>>2399088
.. while keeping eye contact.
>>
File: 20220622_211241.jpg (191 KB, 1136x1063)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>2398916
Smile like this and run past them giggling
>>
>>2399726
Kek
>>
If its a woman i starting running
>>
>>2400261
+ start yelling: I'm not a sex offender
>>
>>2399039
Try going a few more miles outside of Portland you normie faggot
>>
>>2398916
You should greet them as is customary by saying "Hi my trail name is Peace Lily, what's yours?"

Alternate trail names include:
>Happyfeet
>the Woodland wanderer
>The appalachian axe murderer
Have fun!
>>
>>2398916
just give a head nod if you make eye contact and if they say hey then just say hey back. or just fling feces at them. your choice though
>>
>>2398916
Just kick your lips a wink at them
>>
>>2398916
deploy the n word
>>
>>2398916
Just say "Morning."
Not "good morning." Just "morning."
Trust me.
>>
>>2398916
I give the ladies this look. Ladies love the look.
>>
>>2400881
is it a good morning or is it a morning to be good upon?
>>
File: 1630469220251.png (359 KB, 439x598)
359 KB
359 KB PNG
>>2398916
Drop them a howdy and nod.
>>
Close your eyes and make pig noises as you pass by.
>>
Kek
>>
>>2400900
for just that exact reason it´s just morning
nothing to start a conversation with and after the over eager passer by managed to imagine something to add to that you are already too far away
t.eri
>>
File: 1655239838366.jpg (79 KB, 800x701)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>2398916
Here's how my interactions on the trails in Texas go 99% of the time.
"Howdy."
"Good, and you?"
Say good, and keep strolling. Unless they're black, I don't talk to blacks.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.