[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 46 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: inReach-Explorer-03.jpg (94 KB, 1300x998)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
What do my fellow outists think of the Garmin InReach devices? I backpack and hunt alot where theres absolutely zero cell service, but have 2 young kids and a wife at home. I just want something that would fucntion as a GPS, SOS locator, and most importantly have the ability to send and receive basic text messages regardless of cell service in case something goes wrong at home and i need to leave innawoods.
>>
you have to pay a subscription fee but its worth it. there's a reason you see almost every backpacker with an inreach mini on their pack strap these days. its like 350 for an inreach mini and around 1000 for an inreach mini and one of the watches, which is the most common setup you see out in the wild.
theres other options in the amateur radio space but they're all going to be heavy bulky and a lot more expensive compared to the hiker oriented garmin shit. you'd have to ask amateur radio hobbyists about that shit.
>>
File: PXL_20220511_195315278.jpg (2.04 MB, 4032x3024)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
I have one, picrel some of my gear sitting on a hotel bed in Henderson NV. If you hunt, four wheel, climb, or rockhound, I recommend it. Super handy to have. I had to use mine to navigate to fuel once in northern Nevada/California. My buddy was able to get ahold of his dad who was out hunting with no cell service, because his dad had one, to tell him that his grandpa had passed. They're worth the subscription fees if you go /out/ often.
>>
>>2397579
Which plan do you have and did you go Freedom or Annual? I go out a minimum of once a month in the off season. And in the spring fall, i may be in the back country for 40 plus days combined
>>
>>2397583
I have the freedom plan, with the safety package. I just let it run. The GPS is always available, the satellite communication is always available. I know that there are more options beyond that, but it does everything I need. It's really handy to chase minerals and gold with. I have a field guide that depicts the vaguest locations when it comes to rockhounding, so I chase it with my handheld Garmin.
>>
The only thing I don't like is that there's a lot of hidden fees. They're like a cell phone company with no competition
>>
>>2397594
Thats the one im thinking about going with most of the year, and just pay for any overages on messaging. Then during Spring and Fall when im out for weeks bump up to the Recreation plan. How easy is the GPS function to navigate with and find trails and what not? Ill mostly use my HuntOnx app for that, but i like having a back up in case my phone goes tits up
>>
If you enjoy larping and wasting your money with 20 year old technology to fund a monopoly - go ahead.
In every other case, using your smartphone and an app is going to be a lot quicker and easier to download maps and look at them.
>>
>>2397574
If you need anything other than a grid location from a GPS, you don't need a GPS you need to learn how to read a map.
>>
>>2397757
>I can't do land navigation but will give advice o how to do land navigation
ah, so you're that guy
>>
>>2397787
I can I just find it much, much easier to download map layers to my phone and use an app to guide myself. I have a shitty Garmin gathering dust near me. There's a reason I don't use it. Garmin has crappy software from 20 years ago, and terrible user interfaces. Overpriced hardware, rapacious subscription fees, because they have a monopoly.

I guarantee you at this point there are 10x as many hikers using their phones as a Garmin device.
You know modern smartphones have a gps chip that works with no cell reception?
>>
>>2397793
This is what I use, got the app for free, got the maps for free, works with no cell service but I carry an EPIRB (not exactly but the smaller one for hikers, EPIRB is for boats) in case something goes terribly wrong. And unlike these people doing the appalachian trail or whatever, I'm going deep into isolated mountain ranges in Australia because the macedonians hunted all the pigs and dear anywhere near towns
>>
>>2397574
I have a Garmin gpsmap 66i for areas that have unreliable cell signal. I like fly fishing in the back country, so its useful for marking spots. The big reason i got it though is that it has a built-in sos button. Ill likely never need it but id rather have it and not need it, than wish i had one with a broken leg 5mi up a rocky stream. Cellphones with apps work if all you need is a map, but so does a paper map and a compass. Neither can help you call for help if you dont have cell signal though
>>
>>2397834
your gps chip in your smartphone works with NO cell signal

I wonder how many people Garmin has suckered into buying overpriced outdated hardware because they don't understand if you turn on airplane mode and download maps ahead of time your phone still can easily and accurately determine your position and show it on a map.

>>2397800
as this anon said - you can get a separate personal locator beacon
>>
File: 1626475780685.png (60 KB, 352x778)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
Anyone have picrel?
>>
>>2397800
ausanon here as well
is this what you use?
https://www.snowys.com.au/rescueme-plb1
been meaning to buy a plb

also why the fuck is 75% of the blue mountains closed off? i hate the nsw government so much bros
>>
>>2397574
If you need this or a map/compass you are larping
>>
>>2397793
Redundancy is the best bet, and if you wiped the nigger semen out of your eyes and actually read OP, he said he mainly wanted it for texting to check in with his wife and young kids periodically. Try doing that with your All Trails app when theres nk service.

So shut the fuck you sperm burping retarded pompous faggot
>>
>>2397579
>literally a jogger loadout
>>
>>2398346
>If you need this or a map/compass you are larping
if you dont need one these then youre larping
>>
>>2397793
>I'm faster on my phone than you are with a map.
Lop, no.
>cellphones have a GPS receiver
No shit. Most of the cell stand alone GPS recivers are trash though. Are you the guy who thinks all cellphones use the same GPS recivers? Wow...just wow.

Again, of you need a GPS for anything but a grid you're retarded.
>>
>>2397836
>my cellphone has the same GPS antenna and hardware a Garmin
It literally doesn't you turboretard.
>>
>>2398972
it works just fine on my phone
>>
>>2398975
How's city life, cum guzzler.
>>
>>2397574
How much is your life worth if you're in a life/death situation innawoods? An inReach mini is pretty cheap and you can suspend subscription whenever. It's a no brainer especially if you're /out/ solo. I go solo and have a safety plan in place where I'll send a text every morning and every night. If it's been more than 12 hours and they haven't heard from me something bad probably happened.
>>
>>2399042
you can get a personal locator beacon that doesn't require a subscription for around the same price and can SOS for help with satellite transmission.
>>
Anyone here use VHF for ATC?
>>
>>2398975
We both know you never hike anywhere without cellphone coverage
>>
>>2399042
>how much is my life worth
Worth enough to learn how to read a fucking map like an adult and never do back country alone.
>>
>>2400420
I just don't get how you don't believe me that a modern smartphone has a gps chip that can function without any data signal from a cell tower. Just turn on airplane mode and open an app and see if it will still find your position - it works - maybe you have some ancient phone from 10 years ago - but I think almost any smartphone from ~ past 5 years should be ok...

>>2400422
eh the issue is not always the map, sometimes the trail forks or disappears in ways totally unmentioned on the map and having the map on your phone allows you to figure out quickly which direction you should still be heading.
>>
>>2398346
>I have never left the designated, well marked trail
>>
>>2400422
>never do back country alone
pussy
>>
Modern Phone GPS works much better than all of these devices for navigating. Offline topographical maps overlayed over GPS on your phone is the easiest way to navigate (with paper map for backup obviously.. If you really feel the need to text while hiking I suppose it could be worth it to get a Garmin.
>>
>>2400425
It is quite clear there is quite a few things you dint get because you have the reading comprehension of an 8 year old.

Way to completely misrepresented or totally ignore all the arguments that dismantle your childish mantras.
>>
>>2400461
>t. Lives in jersey
>>
>>2400543
You're retarded. If you actually know how to read a paper map you don't need a GPS at all. If someone has a functional brain, which you clearly don't, large portions of the map can actually be quite easily memorized.

You don't know anything about navigation, you let your phone tell you where to go. Fess up city boy, you never hike anywhere that doesn't have cell coverage.
>>
>>2400575
>If you actually know how to make fire from sticks you dont need matches or a lighter
>If you actually know how to make shelter you dont need a tarp or a tent
>If you actually know how to hunt and skin animals you dont need clothes

You are fucking retarded. A paper map and a map on your phone are the same thing except the map on your phone will also tell you wear you are. No one cares about your posturing about pretending to be a big boy hiking with paper maps.
>>
>>2400575
>just memorize topo maps

is this african for real?
>>
>>2400575
You can't glance at a map while you're on the go though. They're big and cumbersome. Better as a fail safe or for planning your actual route.
>>
>>2400575
Everything in your post makes you seem like a person that never actually goes hiking.
>>
>>2400583
>I have no ability to spatially visualize
Obviously.
>>2400586
And yet again you demonstrate you no nothing about navigation or map reading yet, paradoxically, insist on giving advice on how to navigate.

Are you that fag from Belgium? Or just another east coast larper. Literally all of the east coast and Europe have cell coverage making you a liar to boot.
>>
>>2400587
Ahahahhahahahahahahhahahahhahaahhahahahahzh, says the cellphone shill. Priceless!
>>
>>2400590
You didn't actually explain why anything I said was wrong. I live in Ontario and go hiking/camping miles away from any town much less cell tower.
>>
>>2400590
east coast larper here - there's TONS of areas that have shitty cell phone service - if you don't remember to put on airplane mode and you sorta have just a little service it can fuck up your positioning on your maps - it happens all the time

>>2400594
wait ur no longer banned from crown lands for flu?
>>
>>2400595
>wait ur no longer banned from crown lands for flu?
That ban lasted like 3 months and i doubt it was ever enforced.
>>
ok so to be clear this thread is

>people who use gps devices and pay for a subscription (garmin monopoly)

arguing against

>people who use gps devices and pay for a subscription (phonefrens)

because they are convinced gps chips cannot work in phones without data coverage

that's all this thread is - they are convinced you need paper maps because cell phones don't work with no cell coverage and they are never gonna test that out themselves just keep paying for their 20 year old software having Garmin devices because they don't understand gps passive receivers can work without being able to transmit or something. It's a mindfuck. It really is.
>>
>>2400597
I just thought it was kinda weird. We never really had any bans on wild lands here during covid. They closed the visitors centers and turned off the water fountains and you used to have to wear masks in the visitors centers but apart from one trail closing I noticed where they roped off the parking area to discourage ppl from a popular spot (and it didn't really work) we've had minimal nature-related covid restrictions (thank god) in the east coast I think
>>
>>2400600
Your assessment of the thread is mostly correct. But I think OP wants a garmin not for the GPS but for the Panic Button and Satellite text messaging without any service. If your are going far innawoods I dont think its a bad idea to have something like a garmin to alert safety services.
>>
>>2400600
Ontariofag here. I don't have a garmin but my phone's gps signal becomes garbage in thick brush or when it's overcast. I don't know if a garmin would be any better though. That's why I always take a paper map as a backup. Also like other anons have said, it has the ability to send texts and distress signals, which is invaluable for people who are in extremely remote places. This thread is kind of making me want one.

>>2400603
Yeah it was weird and really dumb. Basically just the government doing stupid shit for appearances which is all they're good for. I think the logic was to prevent people who live in cities from traveling to smaller towns and spreading the coof, but to actually ban crown land camping itself was fucking retarded.
>>
>>2400607
I have a personal rescue beacon thingy. Works fine roll out the antenna press da button.

No subscription. Garmin is a racket you will be paying fees out the ass for the rest of your life - ironically the Garmin crowd are the ones shitting on Alltrail users for paying

like there is a good use-case scenario for gamin if you hike in a rainforest or the arctic and need to be wearing gloves the whole time - but otherwise for most people a smartphone + battery backup is aok and an option to add a personal locator beacon as well
>>
>>2400608
Just download the map layers in advance to an app, activate airplane mode, and all will be fine. You can use a rescue beacon without paying Garmin hundreds a year.

I think a lot of people don't know HOW to use an app properly.
>>
>>2400600
I refused to read through the retarded screeching, so I'll take your word for it. That's a sad state of affairs since the main point wasn't the GPS as much as the Sat messaging function.

>>2397574
I'm borrowing a SPOT from a buddy for a backpacking trip this summer. It sends an SMS message with lon/lat, elev, and a link that takes you to a map view with a marker at the point the message was sent from. You preprogram cell numbers into the unit. It has to be numbers that can receive SMS, so it can't be landlines, and that precludes a lot of emergency numbers for NPS.
If you leave a plan with some emergency contacts, then all you have to do is check in with them and if shit goes sideways, they can call the emergency number for you and give them your location and a summary of the problem.
So for what OP is talking about it's a pretty good insurance thing, as long as the price won't be a problem.
>>
>>2400613
>Just download the map layers in advance to an app, activate airplane mode, and all will be fine.
That still won't allow me to see where I am on the map.

>You can use a rescue beacon without paying Garmin hundreds a year.
Enlighten me
>>
>>2400619
you go to amazon you type personal rescue beacon coded for YOUR country (important) or maybe they sell it elsewhere online - cost me ~ 300 and buy it , there's instructions there's a metal antenna that unfurls and you push a button to summon help (it waits a minute to transmit if you push it accidentally)

I mean with alltrails you do have to PAY to see where you are on the map, but it works, you are like my boomer dad who can barely figure it out

You can also download geo-referenced pdfs online - I'm less attuned to where the best place for that is - but it can be done.
>>
>>2400614
but you pay out the ASS for satellite messaging and I'm always able to find pockets of reception enough to send basic messages at least once a day. Not in the thick of hiking but before and after usually. Any old wifi hotspot in a town or even a gas station can work. Lots of rural grocery stores have free wifi
>>
>>2400620
I use this ZOLEO communicator. It does have a messaging system that you can pay a subscription for but the Panic Button works without paying anything.

For Navigating I use Offline Organic Maps to get the Actual Map, then free GaiaGPS to make a route then download the KML file and input it into offline organic maps.
>>
>He doesn't have photographic memory
>>
>>2400625
>For Navigating I use Offline Organic Maps to get the Actual Map, then free GaiaGPS to make a route then download the KML file and input it into offline organic maps.

yeah that's more work than alltrails and with alltrails threre's a topo map layer but also an "alltrails" map layer that often has trail information the topo map lacks especially for smaller regional parks - and the alltrails map is sometimes better labeled but its a crapshoot depending on where you are

alltrails usually has the route already made as a .gpx in its software or whatever - sometimes I have to make my own route but usually its ok

I guess my main point is satellite messaging subscription is 200+ a year, alltrails or gaia or whatever is maybe 30 a year, yes i know it's not the same thing and depends on what you do - but for most I think apps are smarter

redpill me on "offline organic maps" ive never heard of that
>>
>>2400626
I find AFTER I hike a trail I can visualize the terrain spatially but not during the hike if I've never been there before. It's sorta like riding a new bicycle where it feels TOTALLY different the very first time you try a new bike vs the second or subsequent times when your muscle memory knows where to place you body.
>>
>>2400629
Organic offline maps is just a fork of Maps.Me after maps.me went full bloat and shill. Its an amazing tool for Hiking or backpacking in cities. It also shows a hiking trails built into it, but you have to look at those yourself you cant search for them.
>>
>>2400649
>you can't search
into the trash it goes
>>
>>2400660
Its not a hiking trail search app. You search what trails look interesting to you before you leave then use the map. I never have data service when hiking anyway so searching would be useless. Do you actually google hiking trails while in the middle of hiking in the forest? I just look at the map of where I am and if there are interesting trails ill check them out.
>>
>>2400689
no i know but being able to search local trails easily while driving around or out traveling on my phone is a huge advantage of alltrails - i can easily download maps

>I never have data service when hiking anyway so searching would be useless

it depends wildly for me - but usually i make lists in advance but sometimes I add more at the cabin the morning of the hike that I find on my phone

i have google maps offline maps downloaded and sometimes the .gpx files for popular trails are preloaded and that's pretty comfy. It would be nice if they added more.

I change my mind and try to do different things all the time. Paper maps are much more advance planning. Sometimes circumstances change and you want to do something different and having a backup plan is always good.
>>
>>2400691
Yeah I use All-trails a lot to search for good trails then input them into my other map app. Last time I checked was like a year ago but i remember having to pay a subscription to download maps from all-trails. Thats why I just use it to search. Unless I am hiking a massive trail I usually will take the free route. The only time ive ever paid for a map app was GaiaGPS when hiking the Great Divide Trail. If you are willing to pay Alltrails definitely simplifies things a bit.
>>
>>2400695
yup its 30 dollars a year - 15 if you catch the specials sometimes

but ppl here are saying to get a garmin and pay a monthly subscription for that and that's way more than alltrails - that's all I'm saying - I get that people don't want to pay for alltrails - but it isn't THAT much money and it is more work if you don't
>>
>>2400600
>people who subscribe to Garmin
>vs
>people who use a cellphone
Wrong. Again: 8th grade reading level

It is actually
>people who are spatially intelligent and can read maps
>vs
>low iqs who rely on technology

The rest is you detonating you're barely literate.
>>
>>2400603
>>2400607
>>2400608
>>2400610
>>2400613
>>2400614
>>2400620
>>2400623
>>2400625
>>2400629
>>2400632
>>2400649
>>2400689
>>2400691
>>2400695
>>2400700
Lack of brevity is the hallmark of low iq.if you need technology to navigate innawoods.... I sincerely feel bad for you and even worse for your parents for having to raise a retard.
>>
>>2400700
If you need anything but a grid from a gps: you are too incompetent to go off trail.

Keep lying.
>>
>>2400891
tld;dr
>>
>>2400695
>a trail hiker needs a gps
...jfc. double down on retardation why don't you
>>
>>2400893
As expected. Big words confuse you.
>>
>>2400897
>As
stopped reading there
>>
>>2400898
Even if you read it it's clear you wouldn't understand it, you're really proving my point and doing us both a favor. Keep lying kid.
>>
>>2400902
tl;dr
>>
>>2400904
>too complicated; couldn't understand
You gives navigation advice. Priceless
>>
>>2400898
>>2400904
>t. Never leaves cellphone coverage areas
>shills how amazing his land nav skills are
Priceless, never change retard.
>>
>>2400905
>>2400906
>You gives navigation advice.
fix your grammar you third word shitstain
>>
>>2400907
>can't comprehend basic English
>gets mad at Engrish
Ahhahahahhahah
You can't even read a map without help from a computer. If I put it in perfect English it's clearly incomprehensible to you but Engrish, THAT you read...priceless. Never change celltard.
>>
>>2400913
you're boring me
>>
>>2400915
Boredom is also a hallmark of low iq.
Continue.
>>
>>2400915
this thread a garbage
whole board a garbage desu
filled with baboys like >>2398383 and all the other posters above
>>
>>2400917
Good.
Go
Back cellphone boy.
You won't be missed. Reddit LOVES the cell worshipers.
>>
>>2400917
>>2400927
What does this have to do with /out/?
>>
File: alltrails.png (227 KB, 512x250)
227 KB
227 KB PNG
>>2401858
summary:

say you use your phone to view maps when you hike

response:

paper map and compass larpers burst into treats
>>
>>2402048
What is your argument Tbh
>>
>>2402049
For most use case scenarios (not all) using a phone to navigate with a backup battery is a superior option to the hassle of paper maps and a compass or a Garmin device because Garmins use shitty old hardware and software.

Most people just don't understand how to download maps onto their phones or make it work without cellphone coverage and that's the actual issue.
>>
>>2402051
It’s true. Anyone saying they don’t use their phone is either a liar who doesn’t go out or a retard. Once you start using a phone for navigation you’ll almost never need a paper map.
>>
>Have maps of the area with notes, study them before hand
>Also have back up maps downloaded on phone
>have a compass and know how to read topo maps
Never once got lost for too long following these three things anons. As much as I hate it, my phone usually at least has GPS coverage to give me an idea of where I am at. When I get really /out/ I have the topo maps and supplement with my phone.
Garmin makes great stuff (their new Fenix 7 looks kick ass but it is lol $1000), and their dog GPS collars are great, but I think we are at the point where modern smart phones are beating them in terms of basic, rudimentary GPS functions.
>>
>>2400422
>never do back country alone
Solo trips are great though.
>>
>>2402054
I have no reception where I go. I keep a digital map on my phone only when I can't print off a paper one. Digital is handy, but paper is always superior.
>>
>>2402054
>I am retarded therfore everyone else must me.
>>
>>2402051
>Paper is a hassle
It isn't. You just don't have a clue how to navigate manually.
>>
>>2402210
Like I said, they’re either a liar or a retard.
>I do t have reception
You’re in the later group, retard.
>>
>>2402221
I use paper maps as well. You’ve never used your phone because you either can’t figure out how (pathetic) or are lying and do t leave the house (even more pathetic).
>>
>>2402210
You don't need reception for your phone to work to navigate. That's the issue. People don't know that and still pointlessly carry paper maps. Turn on airplane mode, download background maps, set your position in an app, go!

Paper isn't free, printers aren't free, ink isn't free. 30 a year for an app is probably less and way less than a garmin monopoly device.

>>2402223
I do I just haven't done it in years because there's no need. It's incredibly tedious compared to just opening my phone.

>>2402231
>pathetic

nah, phone makers don't make it 100% clear that their phones are passive gps receivers even with zero cell signal
>>
>>2402049
He doesn't have an argument. He doesn't know how to use a map and compass and lives in Poland and trespasses on private property.
>>2402054
>everyone who disagrees with me is lying
Whew lass
>>
>>2402231
>I use paper maps
Yes. You're the equivalent to an illiterate person with a library card.
I unironically know more about gps than you ever will come guzzler.
Please, spew more outdated/pol/ insults.
>>
>>2402250
>I toootaly used a map once when I was 11 and I just, like, use my phone now.
You're beyond pathetic.
>>
>>2397574
I have an InReach mini, paying the subscription sucks but it's nice for peace of mind. I also use it as a gps, but you have to use it with a Bluetooth connection to your phone so the battery life of your phone becomes a limiting factor for how often you can look at your map. So I'd probably recommend the full sized inReach if you don't mind the $350 price difference.

Also all the people arguing about maps seem to be missing the point that these devices are mostly for the safety backup.
>>
>>2402048
>burst into treats
lol,haven't seen that one in a while.
>>
>>2402307
>People who only need a GPS to give a grid are missing the point
No, people that can read a map consider you a city dwelling moron.
Again, statically, if you are in an emergency that obligates an emergency beacon (and off trail) you're already fucked.
The two dominant back country emergencies are falls and avalanches. Falls (off trail) are mitigated by not hiking alone and avalanches are mitigated by also not hiking alone and having an avalanche beacon.
The retards shiling for cellphones are zoomers that lie about being able to read a map and who primarily hike trails...and still need a GPS on a fucking trail.
If you legit go off trail in the way-back woods and want to pay a $ubscription get a sat phone.
>>
>>2402324
It was never good. Also improperly recycled by unoriginal newfags.
>>
>>2402388
itt: Garmin employees shilling for their monopoly
>dude just pay 300 a year for a subscription or ur a city idiot haha right
>>
>>2402394
>I have the reading comprehension of a 9 year old.
If anything I was shilling irridum, but you're to dumb to comprehend literally anything outside your 80iq talking ponts.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.