[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 334.png (631 KB, 500x500)
631 KB
631 KB PNG
Spring Message from Big Man Tyrone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqS-VrwWnns [Embed]

HGM Welcome Message from Big Man Tyrone
https://youtu.be/gkkLnGeo5qc [Embed]
USDA Hardiness Zone Map: https://garden.org/nga/zipzone/

Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87

Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hugelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Straw Bale Gardening, Subsistence Agriculture, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting, Alpaca, Animal Husbandry, Antelope, Beefalo, Black Soldier Fly (BSF), Brushturkey, Cattle, Cavy, Chickens, Coypu, Crayfish, Curassow, Dairy, Deer, Donkey, Dove, Duck, Emu, Feeder Insect, Fish, Game Bird, Geese, Giant Guinea Pig (Cuy), Goat, Grouse, Guan, Guineafowl, Hedgehog, Heliciculture, Honey Bee, Iguanas, Llama, Ostrich, Partridge, Pheasant, Pigeon, Pig, Poultry, Quail/Bobwhite, Rabbits, Sheep, Silkworm, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

Previous Thread: >>2362485
>>
the Roma bushes have alot of large green tomatoes !
I'm thinking about investing in a dehydrator because I always have alot of tomatoes but not a way to preserve them in bulk. I still use oven-dried cherry tomato and olive oil jars from last year (:
Any advice ?
>>
>>2366685
Make sure to add more calcium or magnesium for the plants now before you lose most of them to blossom end rot.
>>
should you pee in your vegetable garden
>>
File: micro.jpg (1.01 MB, 1512x2016)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
Anyone ever grow micro tomatoes before? Little guy is already starting to flower, curious little things.

>>2366685
Have you considered canning them? Pretty easy.
>>
>>2366720
No, go to your neighbor's yard like a respectable vassal
>>2366722
I'm not set up for a cannery..
I have three Roma in pots that started to flower and grow while being much smaller than the bushes. I think it's the plants' way of knowing they need to get it over with sooner than later since they are limited
>>
File: IMG_20220513_155601.jpg (1.18 MB, 2592x1944)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
Just leave the baby birds in the greenhouse overnight. They won't don't damage before I get them out in the morning.
>>
File: ௵.jpg (21 KB, 372x260)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>see pale patches developing on zucchini leaves
>panic that it's powdery mildew setting in already
>spray a load of diluted milk all over every zucchini and pumpkin plant
>as soon as I finish, a thought comes into my head to look up photos of the zucchini cultivar I'm trying this year
>they're fucking variegated with these pale patches appearing on the leaves naturally
>>
>>2364083
sorry if i sounded like a jackass besserwisser.

>>2364079
hello again shroombro, was wondering what age wood is best and if you could use even really old stuff that's borderline rotten (sitting in a field for several years)?
>>
>>2366746
Wood cut in the last few weeks for some and decades wood for others like oysters. Like plants different mushrooms have different requirements.
>>
>>2366741
sperging out on your garden doesnt pay
>>
>>2366739
I don't trust your neighbor.
>>2366741
Now you know. Spend less time naming picture files with funny characters and more time calming down.
>>
>>2366747
cool, maybe i'll get some old logs for free or cheap and order some oyster plugs. also i'll read up a bit on different ones and what they like.

thanks a lot.
>>
File: image000000 (8).jpg (606 KB, 1832x1374)
606 KB
606 KB JPG
>>2366757
>I don't trust your neighbor
I know most of his closet skeletons by now. He's harmless to me. We are on good terms.
>>
>>2366758
He's going to run over one of your chicks while he mows up against your line. Throw fumes and trash grass clippings into your beds, where they will take root
>>
File: 1387165760527.jpg (28 KB, 500x434)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Henlo /out/
By some strange miracle I managed to snag a house in the mountains with a 23k sq ft piece of land (zone 4b).
I might be able to squeeze a small garden bed in there with full sun but there's a bunch of trees so lots of partial shade in general. Should I make some kind of berry patch and/or find a place for a couple fruit trees?
>>
>>2366803
Do you like berries?
>>
>>2366806
yesh
>>
>>2366806
>>2366807
just like Mumei ~!
>>
>>2366803
what is your plan to appease the local spirits?
>>
>>2366808
anon we're not supposed to talk about that here
>>2366810
saying the n-word a lot
>>
>>2366812
i said appease, not antagonize
>>
File: questions.jpg (24 KB, 500x323)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>heard coco coir is good to use as a base layer in pots
>look into it
>supposedly provides good drainage
>also supposedly provides good water retention
Can someone explain how the hell that works? Seems to me that's like saying glass is both clear and opaque at the same time. How is it going to drain well if it retains water well, too?
>>
next time im puttibg the mulch pile closer to the house
the belt fell off the mower again.
i get so angry if i cant find the right tool.
>>
>>2366832
Are these three unrelated lines from an NPC dialog tree ?
>>
>>2366830

why do you need a base layer in pots? just put dirt there lmao
>>
>>2366830
It delayed the water draining out of the pot but doesn't clog and let it pool and drown the root.
>>
>>2366725
To start canning all you need is mason jars and a pot of boiling water to submerged your cans in
>>2366830
Holds moisture well but let's excess water drain out. Might seem like a meme but it's real. I've made potting soil with soil from my garden, store bought potting mix, and peat moss, and my homemade garden soil potting soil has way to much water retention. Coco coir and peat moss is the way to go for seed starting mix, and mixed with compost, perlite and potentially other amendments for potting soil. If soil is to soggy your roots can rot especially on seedlings
>>
>>2366830
Also you don't need a base layer, just make potting soil with coco coir or peat moss, mixed with mushroom compost, or composted manure, or homemade compost, mixed with perlite. If you want to get fancy mix trace micro and macro nutrient sources in your mix, like kelp meal etc
>>
>>2366840
>canning
I will look into it. I would appreciate any tips I wouldn't find on a video
>>2366705
Thank you
>>
I have an unlimited supply of free yard dirt, looking to make it into potting soil, anything to add besides perlite?
>>
>>2366720
dilute 1 piss to 10 water, no medication piss
>>
>>2366850
i vaxx pissed on my tomatoes and gave them the spike protein and fed them to my unvaxxed family
>>
>>2366720
I compost large amounts of leaves with as much green as I can, I pee into a watering can until about half full, dilute the rest with water (optional) and put this on my compost piles as an added nitrogen source. Americans pee enough urine in a growing season to supply enough nitrogen to fertilize the entire American corn industry
>>
>>2366720

i use pee for hydroponics fertilizer
>>
I still haven't gotten around to planting anything in the garden. I don't have any time to clear a space and build a box. I doubt I'll have everything ready to go until next weekend. Will it be too late?

Live in Colorado FYI, never grown shit
>>
>>2366886

never too late, except maybe october. if temps are good, plant!
>>
>>2366886
if youre in CO youre probably just now supposed to start so next weekend is still right on time. When was your last frost? Im in zone 6 idaho and we just had our last frost so all my non-frost-tolerant stuff (most of my stuff) is going in tomorrow
>>
>>2366847
Before you get into it, you in theory need to replace your lids every year or take the chance on some more expensive reusable lids. So take that into account when considering costs.
>>
Fuck tilling by hand. I spent like 3 hours tilling a 2'x20' area in the hot sun. I eventually said fuck it and got out my dad's rototiller and got the rest of the 20'x20' area done in 5mins.
>>
>>2366892
https://youtu.be/jc-dTiIxpzk
>>
>>2366892
Have you considered our Lord and Savior No-Till?
>>
>>2366896
I'm planning on doing that from now on. I just didn't have the land ready and I need to plant asap. My dad tills his garden every year and it's quite obviously bad for the long term health of the soil.
>>
>>2366892
It really is a bitch. Bought some heavier hoes for that shit
>>
>>2366837
>why
Because it gets waterlogged and rots

>>2366838
>>2366840
Cheers, thanks lads
>>
File: PXL_20220512_152152407.jpg (1.96 MB, 2592x1944)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
How do my onions look
>>
>>2366837
never put dirt/clay in pots, it really clogs hard the holes

>>2366830
only aged coco coir is water retaining
>>
>>2366830
Yeah that's a retarded way to explain it, it retains a fair amount of water, but it also allows good air penetration so root rot is less likely, which is part of the reason to add grit anyway to reduce water retention so air penetration goes up. You'll still need grit though just not as much
>>
>>2366720
Yes
>>
>>2366762
Those are called ducklings, ESL nigger.
>>
>have 4 peppers in pots
>they all look like shit but 1 looks worse
>try to move the stem so I can look at the plant more closely
>plant just comes right out of the pot
>hardly any roots despite growing in the pot for 8 months and the others having a lot of roots
>beetle grubs fall out of the pot
So did the beetles cause it?
>>
>>2366847
everyone is going to tell you to be really safe and cautious, but as with all self sufficiency, do the easy versions with less and less reliance on literature and trust in your ability to do it. this could horribly dangerous advice for canning, but it's really the only way you will learn and be able to retain it. start with something easy, and remember that as long as its acidic, its able to be done in a water bath (tomatoes, fruits, pickles, etc), anything basic should be done in a pressure canner. most entry jam recipes will also have a reliable guide to canning that will be for beginners, remember to check your elevation, write it down and smack the details on your fridge, or somewhere that's easy to find. clean lids and gear is a must, and beginner canning kits can usually be gotten at walmart for like 40$ including a pallet of jars with new lids and rings to get started. avoid pectin to start, learn the old way, and try to make it second nature in your head, people get way too freaked out and then never actually pursue canning but its a dream. https://www.bernardin.ca/recipes/en/marmalade-gingered-zucchini.htm?Lang=EN-US this is one of my favourites, and it uses up a good amount of zucchini! we've still got 2L of the stuff and have been eating it near daily without getting tired of it! :)
>>
why are my blueberry plants all turning red? it hasn't been close to freezing. Can they be saved?
>>
File: 1428060263922.jpg (10 KB, 236x236)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>2366951
what's your soil ph
>>
>>2366952
don't know, planted it with a mix of peat moss, shrub soil, and compost, fertilized with potash and epsom salt today.
>>
>>2366918
Why did you plant them horizontally
>>
>>2366953
Don't quote me on that but your soil is probably too alkaline, blueberries usually need hella acidic soil
>>
>there is a manure shortage
How bad of an idea would it be to buy a goat?
>>
>>2366968
not if you get outside of the city.
>>
>>2366953
sorry friend. you have to make it acidic; think of where blueberries grow naturally, high ridge regions, on well drained soils or in areas of disturbance. raspberries over take buildings, blueberries take over abandoned firing ranges. look into available soil research for your region regarding the natural soil conditions in forest distributions and investigate how those soil properties (can be both very rudimentary and informing) may be lacking in your patch. i'm currently running a pick your own of blueberries off of a food forest i'm tending, let me know if you need any readings, i may have something suitable.

>>2366964
this anon is right
>>
>>2366971
strawberries and raspberries are thriving in the same soil.
>>
>>2366971
add some coffee grinds or crushed egg shells?
>>
>>2366830
Little late but how you can have both water retention and good drainage/aeration has to do with the structure of the media.
Media that allows voids/macropores to form when put into a pot or bed provides area for air to exist and water to escape. This is exclusive to the amount of water the media can retain.

Coco coir is somewhat special in that depending on the exact supplier you really don't need anything else. Although more often than not it'll either be aged too long or grinded too finely in which it'll retain too much water or be suffocating and is why it's often mixed with perlite, sand or chips.
>>
File: 51Mynv9-Z9L._AC_.jpg (39 KB, 500x500)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Is one of these worth the $7? Is the source of the wobbly reviews on them actually just people using them wrong?
>>
>>2366991
7 bucks is nothing, so yes it’s worth it. The light meter is worthless, you can determine that with your eyeballs. Moisture content and ph I wouldn’t take the readings at face value unless you by a soil testing kit for ph. Moisture is pretty easy to figure out without a meter. What I think it IS good for is measuring the change from the baseline. See what it reads for ph and use that as a baseline, if it dips or raises you can treat it accordingly
>>
>>2366953
it's early spring, probably cold weather response and transplant shock if they are new plants.
>>
>>2366964
a trick you can do is dissolve a tablespoon of epsom salt (you can get it at the grocery store of dollar store) in a gallon of water to help neutralize the soil.
>>
>>2366951
They turn red in late autumn
>>
>>2366997
Can confirm that blueberries will die back within the hour if they experience sufficient shock. Sometimes the best thing to do is to supply plenty of water and to just let it have the chance to recover. If you try to make drastic changes, that could shock it again and actually kill the plant.
>>
>>2366991
I honestly was going to say just save your pennies for an actual pH meter but after actually digging out one of the 3in1 meters I found for cheap someplace, I'm not mad at the result.
I aim for a pH of 6.1-6.2 (I test with a proper BNC probe) and the meter shows just a hair under 6, that's good enough I would think.
>>
>>2367008
Yeah. Just wanted to make sure the small amount of lime I added to my soil last year to deal with tomato blossom end rot didn't throw anything off. Pretty sure it didn't, because even if it did my soil and routine amendment is acidic across the board.
>>
>>2367000
uh, ok?
>>
What do you think of her garden?
https://youtu.be/O15KVPn36us
>>
redpill me on the cheapest way to measure brix
>>
>>2367025
Eyeball it
>>
>>2366977
Also ammonium sulfate and a small amount of activated charcoal
>>
I'm starting a garden on my roof, what should I plant so I don't have to buy food anymore?
Also I'm going to collect rain water and drink it, I honestly hoping to die.
>>
>tfw the mall sells purslane seeds
lol
>>
Hello. Anybody know a good start into beekeeping?
>>
My dog ate one of my apple saplings that some retard moved to the ground to make room for something else. I found the main root and what's left of the stem on the other side of the garden. Will it grow back?
>>
>>2366991
every smartphone has a light meter that can be accessed via app
the ph and moisture meters of a $7 device will tell you nonsensical values.

you're wasting your money.
>>
>>2367000
Lol wut, Epsom salts are neutral
>>
>I only get to do gardening on Saturday
>I can't today due to some RL shit
REEEEEEEE I DONT WANT TO WAIT FOR NEXT WEEK
>>
>buy a chainsaw
>takes over 100 pulls to start
should have bought a stihl.
>>
>>2367104
check your local area, there might be a bee keeping society. mine ran a day course on it
>>
>>2366976
Yes! They’re sisters :)
>>2366977
The eggshells would add more base because of the calcium, but the coffee could work, though, the poor things are probably tired.
>>2367036
Yes! Any S or N application will help to balance and reintroduce acids
>>
>>2367023
im jelly and horny

>>2367081
the same stuffyou buy in the store maybe?
>>
Which vegetable with edible leaves produces the most amount of leafy greens with the highest calories and nutrients?
>>
>>2367134
i could have answered if all these retarded health websites would list calories per weight instead of "per cup / per raw cup" and every site gives different fucking numbers like fucking brainlets.

but kale is usually always in the top spot, then some kind of spinach or chard. most lettuce is generally crap for calories.
you can also eat broccoli and beet leaves.
>>
>>2367119
Im not interested enough to meet people
>>
>>2367151
Is kale any good to grow?
I suppose it's fairly expensive now so might be worth it but in terms of the space and pest control is it a pain?
>>
>>2367158
dont grow it myself but doesnt seem hard and the general consensus seems to point to that aswell.
>Kale is a member of the cabbage family, which is notorious for attracting insect pests and for rot diseases. Kale is susceptible to black rot and clubroot, as well as aphids, cabbage loopers, cabbageworm, cutworms, flea beetles, and slugs.1 The best defense is to monitor the plants often for signs of eggs or feeding, such as holes in the leaves. Treat problems as soon as they arise.
>>
>>2367105
Kill the dog
>>
Planting day is here
>>
File: 2 small.jpg (3.38 MB, 3226x2420)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>2366681
Anyone here know how to grow grapes?

i bought a 30 year old Monastrell last year and after reading about pruning and loads of other stuff i am not sure what to do.
here are some photos
https://imgur.com/a/2vyI2yA
the goal was to have multiple vines coming from the 30 year old trunk and have 1 run on each plank of the fence and a couple going next to and underneath the roof overhang, maybe even have something next to the overhang to hang a vine on as well.

after reading a lot i am not sure this would be optimal,
my main goal is as many grapes as possible covering the entire garden.
>>
How do i make pumpkins take over my entire yard
>>
>>2367179
plant them into a few gallons of not so fresh horse manure
>>
i was not prepared for this
>>
>>2367186
F
>>
File: IMG_20220514_220135.jpg (1.9 MB, 1886x2659)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
Can this actually be a tomato seedling? Plantnet says so but I wouldn't be so sure
>>
>>2366939
Obviously
>>
>>2367201
miring that lambsquarter on the right
>>
>>2367201
It’s a tomato. What else would it be
>>
>>2367205
It's funny because I tried planting some seeds from store purchased tomatoes and they all died after sprouting, this one just came out by itself after it rained on the pot (along with the Chenopodium album right next to it)
>>2367204
Ikr? It's so cute, I'll pull and eat it one of these days
>>
If a mushroom were to sprout in a container you were growing peas, beans and parsley in, would this be a bad thing? Little white and grey bastard sprouted overnight in a shady corner. I have loads of dead beech wood laying around and it looks like the same stuff that was sprouting on that. Plants seem fine, do I need to panic? Will pissing on it help?
>>
>>2367231
They're breaking down the old wood in the dirt. Very beneficial no downsides. They (the fungus) doesn't have anything to do with the plants.
>>
>>2367106
I know it'll be a rough estimate from an arbitrary baseline. I do wonder if it'd be possible to use a more elaborate yet still inexpensive water PH tester for soil if you were to make a tea using a soil sample and distilled water.
>>
>>2367231
is this some kind of meme? always some guy asking if shrooms in your plants is bad in every thread...
>>
Is coffee good for you?
>>
>>2367231
Its a good sign
>>
>>2367233
Excellent, thanks mate. Plants in that container are way healthier than last year so maybe the fungus is what's made the difference.
>>2367236
Not memeing (aside from the crack about piss), I've had mould before but this was a full blown 2-3" mushroom, which struck me as odd.
>>
>>2367248
Mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of a mycelium network. Your soil has, to some extent, a fungal colony stretching through it, thriving off of decomposing matter. So long as its not your plants that are decomposing and the mushroom species isn't in some way overtly hazardous to anything, it's a good thing.
>>
>>2366396
it´s coffee filter on top of paper towels floating on a piece of styrofoam so it constantly wicks moisture from underneath onto the seeds so they wont dry
>>
>>2367221
Gardens are funny that way. I bought a dying sunflower for cheap at a greenhouse and planted ina spot with inadequate water. Turns out it was a bush style variety that produces a zillion small beautiful sunflowers and aggressively reseeds itself. Now I have a massive yearly patch of volunteer sunflowers that just keeps her growing. My neighbors think I’m a garden wizard and my secret is that I do literally nothing to the patch ever.
>>
>>2367251
Don't forget connecting to your plants for their symbiosis, helping the plants thrive
>>
File: IMG-0204.jpg (3.09 MB, 4032x3024)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
what is this & how do I kill
comes back every year and grows fast af
and the bebe laternflies love it
NJ USA if that helps identify
>>
>>2367291
>keeps coming back
just dig the whole thing up properly instead of just pulling the fucking stems, and i mean the whole thing, like 2 feet all around it and down under to get the roots too
>>
>>2367293
I tried digging before but there is like a thick plastic stretched out under that mulch a few inches down. Really annoying, I'll have to get a sharper shovel to tear through that shit. But my new lease says I'm responsible for the lawn and shrubbery so I just got myself a lawnmower and trimmer and I want to start growing some nice plants instead of just having mulch patches
>>
>>2367284
That's wild sunflower, they're native and resilient as fuck. It's also what the seed packet ones revert to
>>
>>2367297
That plastic probably has to do with when the lawn or hypothetical nearby shrubbery was put in. I believe it's meant as a cover to block weeds and to kill anything that may have been there previously, but it's a huge pain in the ass to deal with when nature inevitably wins.
>>
>>2367107
epsom salt to neutralize, coffee grounds to make more acidic?
>>
>>2367297
>digging up landscaping fabric
>in a rental property

When doing landscaping, the workers usually put down a thick sheet of materials to suppress grass/weed growth, and then put mulch ontop to protect the fabric. anything that has been deeply rooted through the fabric in a precut hole is probably an ornamental plant intentionally put there for the landscaping.

Sounds like you just undid thousands of dollars worth of landscaping, good job anon!
>>
File: PXL_20220514_163200428~2.jpg (1.38 MB, 1747x2079)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
should I earth up my turnips?
>>
File: PXL_20220514_163519476~2.jpg (673 KB, 1915x2105)
673 KB
673 KB JPG
also this is an aphid, right? how do I keep them off my cabbages?
>>
>>2367341
spray with soapy water and need oil or invite ladybugs
>>
>>2367342
neem* oil
>>
>>2367318
>covering dirt with plastic and mulch
>landscaping

and I haven't done anything yet numbskull I just posted that picture an hour ago
>>
>>2367343
sneed oil
>>
What do I need to look for in a weed whacker? I've just got an overgrown garden (maybe 20 x 10?) that I need to cut back that I wanted to use. Was gonna just cut everything back as far as I could and then drop cardboard down and build some planter boxes to grow some vegetables one. Can't figure out how much I need to spend.
>>
>>2367300
can I just poke a bunch of holes in it and then plant some flower seeds or something in the mulch? I bought some little ivy plants and a creeping myrtle plant, also a lavendar plant. And a jalepeno pepper plant.
>>
>>2367341
Yes neem oil >>2367348 is very effective. If I were you I’d research companion planting for the next time you grow cabbages, I don’t grow cabbages but I grow a lot of tomatoes, and I haven’t had to treat them with neem oil fro a looooong time. I can’t remember last. I plant basil and marigolds around my tomatoes and bugs stay away. I bet there’s some companion plants for cabbages.
>>
File: PXL_20220514_164740889~2.jpg (602 KB, 1817x1723)
602 KB
602 KB JPG
>>2367342
cheers, I'll spray them with black soap water if I see any more. on the subject of ladybirds, is this a ladybird pupa?
>>
>>2367166
congratulations still 4 weeks to go here
started bean and leek seeds inside today and potato sprouts are starting to look pretty good
>>
File: file.png (330 KB, 800x714)
330 KB
330 KB PNG
>>2367354
no that's a ladybug larvae, pupa dont have legs or move around
>>
>>2367353
thanks, half of my cabbages got wrecked by aphids last year so I'll keep neem oil in mind in case it gets bad, and I'll look into companion plants for next year
>>2367356
oh ok, but it is a future ladybird? they're all over my garden and greenhouse this year, is there anything I can do to help them thrive?
>>
>>2367359
you could try getting one of those meme bug houses/hotels and leave a bunch of leaves in thick layers around overwinter for them
>>
>>2367352
Oh. Under mulch. That explains it, yeah. Can try whatever you want. I don't know your exact situation.
>>
>>2367364
>bug hotel
oh yea my aunt's got one of those, do they work?
if I leave a big pile of dead leaves in a corner of my garden in autumn, do you think they would use it?
>>
>>2367379
>does it work
no clue, but i've seen a bunch more parasitic warp-looking thingies around my place since i hanged one up outside.
>in a corner
maybe, could increase chances if you spread out an inch thick on as big area you can. it's also decent mulch against weeds and a little bit of nutrients once they break down.
>>
>>2367380
cheers, I'll try the leaf thing in autumn, hopefully it'll help the ladybirds, love ladybirds me
>bunch more parasitic warp-looking thingies
is that good or bad?
>>
>>2367391
Parasitic wasps are always good for the garden

They kill caterpillars and shit and don't afraid of anything
>>
>>2367393
oh wasps yea
>They kill caterpillars
pretty cool for cabbages, might look into that too
>>
>>2367359
>is there anything I can do to help them thrive?
Attract aphids so they have plenty of food. Keep spider bros around, don’t spray anything, and prune or wipe the underside of leaves if populations start growing.
>>
>>2367351
Buy a Ryobi battery powered one Home Depot. Cheap and lightweight, it you don’t need much for a home garden. Plus you can get other battery powered tools that use the same swappable batteries
>>
File: 20220514_133630.jpg (2.73 MB, 4032x3024)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
>>2367201
looks like a san marzano
>>
>>2367399
Wasps are bros, but I wouldn't rely on them. I've happily observed wasps munching on caterpillars, but in the larger scale it didn't have any impact.
>>
>>2367158
Kale is one of the easiest things to grow in the garden. Like any green you can space it close for smaller plants or far apart for larger plants. I typically space mine maybe 8-10 inches. Kale and chard in theory will give you the highest leafy green yields, and then things like arugula, and lettuce. I can leave a kale plant In my garden with snow on the ground and it'll survive. It's retard proof. Don't cut the tops and harvest by picking off leaves. When it gets to bitter replace it with a different plant like every leafy green plant.
>>
>>2367320
Yea a bit and keep them damp. I've grown turnips good in worse clay shit soil than that, but really lay compost down and plant into it instead of that clay
>>
first drip irrigation system up. hows it looking?

total of 69 plants
>>
>>2367201
just rub one of the true leaves and smell it, that should rule out for sure what it is
>>
>>2367501
it looks like you have a few leaks, unless that was just during initial set up.
>>2367515
and smell for what
>>
>>2367501
You should add some mulch on top.of that. That's bare sandy soil.
>>
>>2367501
Nice and extensive
>>
>>2367548
You are right, I should. Dumb question: would the drippers go on top of the mulch or be covered by it? I can't get wood mulch where I am, only black plastic mulch tarp or hay/old grass
>>
>>2367501
nice artichoke
>>
>>2367562
tnx, i have a bunch
>>
>>2367559
>>2367565
Fix you're leaks.
>>
>>2367572
I will... tomorrow
>>
>>2367527
Different plants have different smells. It is useful to know what plants smell and taste like for indicators.
>>
>>2367515
>>2367586
eh, it's just tomato has a very specific strong smell if you mess with it, you'll know if it is. go to a store and rub theirs a little if you want to know.
>>
>>2367527
>>2367586
Tomatoes have a pretty specific smell.
Reminds me of my childhood, working in my mother's vegetable garden.
>>
>>2367559
Doesn't matter really , I'd just stack mulch ontop, straw, woodchip, or ground up leaves whatever's available in your zone. Best thing is to make use of that extra space with plants. Could be sowing beans, onions, carrots, whatever you want in all that space. Something else to do for next season is broadcast sow a cover crop, winter rye, vetch, clover. Whatever works in your zone. Crimp it down, and plant your tomatoes and cucumbers or whatever right into that crimped cover crop doubling as a mulch and soil amendment as it breaks down. You'd have to research what works in your zone and how to properly terminate a cover crop
>>
Is asparagus a meme plant to grow?
>>
Why don't more people load up their land with perennial spring ephemerals? As I find more and more awesome fragrant early pollinators I grow more and more confused at why so many people choose to load up on shitty annuals that bloom for maybe 2 weeks and die.
For example, at no nursery can I find lily of the valley, yet its an incredibly beautiful fragrant bulb that reliably comes up every year.
>>
>>2367605
theres no such thing. grow what you want to grow
>>
>>2367628
Caveat: Grow what you want to grow with knowledge of your limitations. Don't try to cheat nature unless you have plans that are actively in motion to do so like a dedicated greenhouse.
>>
>>2367628
Well by meme plant I mean a plant which is not suitable for a typical home garden either because of the difficulty of growing them or because the harvest is so small or the harvesting process is time consuming that it only really makes sense when you have a large plot of land dedicated to growing them
>>
>>2366918
can't see them, maybe move all that dirt off the way
>>
>>2367630
how much space do you have? you can do it even if you dont have a massive garden but you need to plan out your asparagus, its a much larger investment of time and thought
>>
I've got some garlic im gonna plant out but the beds that im planning to grow them in isnt available for two weeks
Should i just plant them in pots for the time being?
>>
>>2367559
You wouldn't even need the drip with enough mulch.
>>
>>2367565
ive got 5 im about to transplant, zone 6 lmao well shall see
>>
>>2367735
That depends on his weather. And the plant.
>>
Bros, just a cautionary tale. I fainted today while gardening. I had been working a long time and probably hadn’t had enough water. I was crouching over my garden with knees completely bent, then I stood up very quickly and I didn’t have enough blood in my head I guess and I fainted. Almost smashed my plants =[
>>
>>2367290
Yeah that too, although oddly some species don't form significant mycorrhizal connections, Brassicas for example
>>
>>2367855
Had the same thing happen a few times. Stay hydrated when working. Heat stroke is no joke.
>>
>>2366892
What the fuck. It took me. Like 30 minutes to flip and till the sod in a 4x20 area. Do you not sharpen your shovels and hoes?
>>
>>2367134
>>2367158
Kale. Three dinosaur kale plants produced so much I could barely eat it all, it's delicious, prolific, I never watered them and never fertilized. Cabbage moth ate holes in them but grew faster than those stupid caterpillars could eat. Rain for 10 days? Doesn't give a shit. 110° heat wave? Doesn't give a shit. Drought? It just doesn't give a shit. Grow kale.
>>
>>2367284
>my secret is that I do literally nothing to the patch ever.
Sounds like my entire garden.
>>
>>2367636
>its a much larger investment of time and thought
What? It's less work than an annual it comes back every year for decades.
>>
>>2367890
Thanks bro your enthusiasm has sold me on kale
>>
Checked the garden today after yesterday's rain. Saw a few potatoes popping up along with a few onions. Carrots still aren't up yet, not sure if I want to re-tarp them to keep the ground moist, its been long enough they should be up any day now.

My brother when chainsaw happy at his new house. Once we haul out the brush we are going to turn his entire back yard into a garden. He's doing a multi-year flip and the backyard landscaping is a next year project. The back of the yard has chain link fence that will make a convenient trellis.
>>
I have 1 hectare which is more or less 100m X 100m
From 1 end to the other it's a 5-6% slope
What method can I use to identify the contours of the land?
It's mostly grass so no issues with trees blocking lines of sight
I want to know where the contours are so I can design swales/berms
>>
>>2367855
It's a sudden blood pressure drop. You can duplicate it regardless of hydration level by hyperventilating while squatting, then standing up suddenly.
>>
>>2367936
Are you not supposed to have a property boundary survey map somewhere?
>>
>>2367947
the govt survey isn't granular enough
>>
Any hints on why a recently grounded raspberry bush's new canes are dying?
Is it because it is still establishing roots?
>>
>>2367950
Doesn't the USGS maintain high resolution contour data for the entire world?
>>
>>2368068
interesting. thank you american taxpayers. I'm trying to find it for Australia but unfortunately I am not very smart
>>
>>2367936
Get a laser level pick a starting point at the lowest area, then use the laser to find the next contour. You can probably make your own with a powerful laser, a tripod, and a level. Or if you have a brunton/pocket transit you can do it the old fashioned way by sighting through it. Or if you have a bigger surveying transit obviously that works.
>>
>>2368090
hmm
I don't have a powerful laser or pocket transit
I do have some rifle scopes I could put on a tripod though, and an air-bubble level attachment for them
>>
Why is the seed starter mix I bought at a garden centre hydrophobic?
Any suggestions of how to wet it?
>>
>>2368103
vermiculite
>>
>>2368103
I don’t know much about soil components but I’ve noticed that when peat moss dries completely it gets very hydrophobic to the point that I don’t try reviving it
>>
>>2368103
put in container you want to use
put container in basin
fill basin with water
wait
>>
After putting all my starts in the ground yesterday, I had 100% survival overnight, even the few drama Queen transplant shocked plants have perked up. Very promising!
>>
File: breaking Bad screencap.jpg (230 KB, 1619x921)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
Posting a comfortable looking 'stead from Better Call Saul or Breaking Bad (I can't remember).
I dislike the winter, might move to Mexico.
>>
>>2367936
>want to know where the contours are so I can design swales/berms
Wait until a downpour and look to see where the water is flowing
>>
I think my mixing is bolting. It started to develop what looked like flower buds. I cut everything off that I thought looked like flowers. How fucked is my plant? I’ve never grown mixing before
>>
>>2368170
*mizuna not mixing
>>
>>2368103
I pour water into the bag and leave it there sealed for a day or two before I use it. Ones it's hydrated it worked fine.
>>
File: 1652625579435.jpg (3.59 MB, 2903x1071)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
potatoes are in the ground now...
any tip on a good companion for them? corn maybe?
>>
>>2368170
Isn't it a biannual?
>>
>>2368196
No clue, i just put the seeds in the ground to see what would happen
>>
File: 1652628981332-2081489514.jpg (1.47 MB, 3840x2160)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
planting out bigly right now. i still have some pots to fill around the back of the garage. im zone 6, when do you guys start seeds indoors for autumn garden? also what are some quick summer crops i can fill up little spaces with?
>>
File: IMG_20220515_115134__01.jpg (2.76 MB, 2461x2442)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB JPG
I'm no stranger to the kratky method of hydroponics, but this year I'd prefer to add a solar fueled pump.
I found some cheap 30gallon per minute pumps on eBay for +/-$8 (containers have about 20 gallons), and some $20 solar panels. But thought I'd ask here first for recommendations since I started going down a rabbit hole of voltage controllers around the same price.
>>
>>2368190
Beans. Green, string etc. Bush green beans are my favorite.
>>
>>2368196
The word you're looking for is "semiannual"
Semi means twice a year, bi-annual means every other year.
>>
>>2368239
I thought about doing this too but didn't feel like experimenting with pumps that might not work. I'd be curious to know if it works out for you though.
>>
>>2367291
looks like an old oregano or basil plant or some other common garden herb, break a leaf up and give it a whiff
>>
>>2368250
You may be able to tell from the pic, I have a very tiny fountain and solar panel there already which may be sufficient, but I wouldn't mind experimenting with something else for the other container.
My only intent is to prevent mosquitos and algae, which has been a problem in prior years.
>>
>>2368244
Yea. As in the go to seed every other year. What plant specifically breeds twice a year?
>>2368244
Or is this a reference to something Ove forgotten
>>
File: ohmy.jpg (1.89 MB, 1512x2016)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
Finally, a perfect day to help hardening these guys off. Been an unexpected 90s the past week that made all my greens bolt....boooooooo.

I'm gonna go plant some onions.
>>
>>2368190
You can sneak some radishes in that space.
>>
>>2368283
You should start some zinnias. It's not to late and it's a good addition to a garden . marigolds too
>>
File: pot.jpg (235 KB, 980x735)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>2368293
I direct sow such things. Shame zinnias don't really have any fragrance, pretty colors though.

Red Mexican sunflowers are my absolute favorite though. They attract everything.
>>
File: file.png (16 KB, 685x148)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>2368244
you're both right and wrong.
>>
ive never mulched before. Shold i mulch with woods chips on my veggie beds and what is your rationale?
>>
File: captcha.jpg (89 KB, 560x324)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>2368318
naked soil bad
>>
>>2368325
please explain
>>
>>2368327
to be good, soil must let life (not just plants but also insects and fungi which all contribute to the health of the soil ecosystem thrive in it
naked soil dries fast, you won't be able to constantly keep the top soil moist which means the top soil will be basically dead
>>
>>2368332
Thanks
>>
>>2368318
I'm lazy, I'll throw down a couple of pumpkin vines in an attempt to shade out weeds that may pop up. Works fairly well.
>>
>>2368318
what, whats your question...? rationale for what? mulching or woodchips?
>>
>>2368318
>wood chips
nice and heavy, wont blow away
great water retention
slow to break down so you will have to fuss moving them about when planting and replanting so you dont work them into the soil
>leafs
great water retention
break down pretty quickly so dont have to worry much about them mixing with soil
light when dry so they tend to blow away and reveal soil to the UV sunblast
>straw
good water retention
can get a bit too matted if not chopped small, but that also makes it less prone to blowing away
may have weed seeds in it
>partially finished compost
nice and heavy, great water retention
will break down into full compost pretty soon
might have seeds in it
>brown paper or fabric or something like that
keeps sun off, traps moisture well enough
you will have to make holes in it to plant, over time mightt get pretty haggard, but the soil activity underneath is just as good as the others

basically just use what you have, UV will ravage the soil
>>
>>2368415
thanks, did wood chips because i have a lot. just mulched everything
>>
convince me not to plant a honeysuckle on my property
>>
>>2368431
Suckle that succulent honey anon
>>
>>2368431
Plant a couple of honeyberries, you get the honeysuckle aesthetic and scent but with some bonus fruits.
>>
>>2368293
Sowed some zinnias and marigolds a week ago, mostly because they were the only flower seeds I had
>>
>>2368431
i wanted to plant lonicera tho but my super hot summers would wreck them
>>
>>2367235
>I do wonder if it'd be possible to use a more elaborate yet still inexpensive water PH tester for soil if you were to make a tea using a soil sample and distilled water.
That's what you'd do.

>>2368103
Wetting agent like yucca extract or a drop of dish soap in your watering can.
>>
>>2368431
It's an invasive weed, so plant it with caution, in an area you don't mind getting over run with it. Most people think honey suckle only provides a sweet scent but if you pick the flowers when ripe and pinch the bottom of them off, pulling the flower fiber out the bottom, you get a tiny drop of nectar as a summer treat
>>
File: file.png (1.19 MB, 1008x1266)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
Growing sunflowers for the first time; are these mealybugs, or what? Will neem oil get rid of them, or is alcohol better?
>>
File: file.png (2.07 MB, 1199x1175)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB PNG
>>2368574
And this is in the same bunch of sunflowers - I don't even know what it is. I don't think it's scale bugs because I can't scrape it off; I'd pretty much destroy the leaf if I tried harder. What is it?
>>
What's up. is Malathion dangerous? it's the only poison I know that works when dealing with mealybugs and white flies, but it seems pretty toxic based on my toilet research.

the sources that say it's toxic are those silly ass muh environment types, I know it's bad for pollinators but doesn't Malathion degrade in the sun and water?
>>
>>2368576
You can try basically neem oil, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, soapy water. And make yourself a batch of LAB (Lactobacillus.)
>Collect the water from rinsed white rice
>Place in jar with breathable lid
>Let sit for 36 hours or a few days until it smells sweet
>Mix with 1 part rice water to 10 parts milk
>Let ferment for 3-7 days
>Disregard cheese kurds and collect the liquid in a jar
>Mix 1:1000 ratio with water and spray on plants
Increases disease resistance and good for powdery mildew and other bacterial and fungal diseases.
I spray it on all my vegetable plants, but since you're growing sunflowers you don't have to worry so much about chemical ish sprays
>>
File: 1650691209866.jpg (135 KB, 1024x810)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
I want more land. It easy to make more beds and propagate more plants. But I'm stuck with the 1000ish square feet of sunlight. I shrink my driveway more every year but I'm getting awfully close to the road.
>>
>>2368607
based KNF enjoyer, my rice water just started to smell sweet, i need to buy some milk
>>
File: 1625117321664.png (658 KB, 672x380)
658 KB
658 KB PNG
pissed it down for an hour, 330gal tank is full again
>>
>>2368650
I need to get rain barrels and gutters...
>>
Is it too late to start eggplant in zone 7?
>>
>>2368691
Dunno but I bed you could get away with some of the small verities
>>
File: IMG_20220515_223414_01.jpg (270 KB, 1458x1944)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>>2366681
Hey my sister saw those in southern Florida what are these?
>>
>>2368699
off hand looks like mango
>>
>>2368190
leeks
>>
>>2368699
Mangos.
>>
Why does the new archive delete every mention of Prince Of Orange potatoes?
>>
>>2368699
Mangos, my favorite fruit here at zone 11, but dealing with bugs its getting annoying Tbf
>>
>>2368577
bump I need to know of I should ditch this stuff. I'm not spraying it on any edibles, just ornaments.
>>
>>2368792
>Overexposure to malathion may cause severe poisoning or death. Persons may be exposed to dangerous amounts if they go into fields too soon after spraying.

JUST USE YOUR NOGGIN
>>
>>2368797
>Why was malathion banned?
Malathion is linked to developmental disorders in children and has been found by the World Health Organization to be “probably carcinogenic to humans.” Last year EPA scientists determined that the pesticide, manufactured by Dow Chemical, poses widespread risks to protected plants and animals.
yeah noggin sure
>>
>>2367291
dig as deep as you can in a good radius around it and place a root barrier. apparently cardboard works well, layer it up and cover. see if that helps if not piss on it till it dies
>>
>>2368170
Just sow some more, always succession plant greens. I have 24/7 seeds being sown in trays ready to be transplanted into the garden when lettuce bolts, or plants get harvested. I just pulled a patch of Bolting arugula today and replaced it with broccoli rabe transplants. While having 3 other patches of lettuce and arugula at different stages so I have a continuous supply.
>Old lettuce gets pulled
>Replaced with new plant
>harvest lettuce from next patch of lettuce
>New lettuce gets sown in tray
>Transplant when ready
Mizuna and most lettuce varieties and arugula bolt really quick once it warms up. In summer you're looking at 2 weeks before they bolt and get bitter. This is remedied through succession planting and growing heat tolerant varieties, mizuna, arugula, and mibuna aren't heat tolerant at all, but alot of lettuces are especially red varieties
>>
Planted a ton of beetroots today
Did I fuck up?
I'm ok eating beetroots but I'm not the biggest fan
>>
>>2368881
Probably should have plant more of something you enjoy.
Too many seeds outthere to be planting something you aren't exited about.
>>
>>2368881
Grow chard instead then use the leaf/stems like you would lettuce, cabbage or spinach - its very versatile, then leave it in the ground over winter as its biennial. You will get leaves into the second year and when its flowering/dying off you can lift the root and eat that.

Its essentially the same plant just bred for the leaves not root, but you still get a decent root in the second year (grow rainbow chard mixes for mixed colour roots). It wont be a fat globe, its more like a carrot or parsnip but its excellent grated raw into salads (or even cakes)
>>
It’s been two weeks since I started an experimental pumpkin patch. So far they ain’t dead yet!!
>>
Are there any generals about marijuana growing on here? I'm doing it for the first time this year and it'd be cool to have a place to ask questions.
>>
>>2368920
Dude weed lmao

No we don't talk about cultivation of that plant for all the degenerates that would flood the thread
>>
>>2368920
This board is for outdoors not for degenerates
>>
>>2368920
Go to the plant general on /an/ for that
>>
>>2368920
Short of it: You need to grow a lot of plants because marijuana is dioecious. You want females. If you want seeds, you want at least one male. Optimal pH is 6.5. I'm no expert, but a quick read suggests you could use any normal NPK fertilizer and supplement it with a mix of powdered egg shells and small amounts of garden lime to get an optimal balance. You'd just need to be careful because too much lime will shift the soil mix alkaline. So perhaps take an effort to neutralize it if you go that route. Don't take my word for it on any of this, though. I don't grow marijuana and my knowledge is the result of a 30 second DDG search.
>>
>>2368920
You'll both get mocked and be given advice. So you know normal 4chan shit.
>>
>>2368926
>>2368930
I've been growing other stuff for years, this is just my first year with weed and the seeds are so expensive I'd rather not fuck it up.
>>2368954
I'm just growing two this year since its my first run. If it goes well and the smell isn't too bad I'll expand in the future. I grow stuff like peppers and tomatoes every year but I've never got deep enough in to it to alter soil ph and all of that so that side is all new to me.
>>
>>2368965
>I'm just growing two this year since its my first run.
You'll really want to grow an abundance of plants and then sort through them once you can determine their sex. Because if you grow two plants and they're both males, you get no flowers.
>>
I think I made a gardening friend yesterday
>>
>>2368982
I always feel like I’m in first grade again making my first new friends whenever I meet another garden nerd.
>>
>>2368920
Then head to 420chan
>>
>>2368967
>He doesent know bout feminized seeds
>>
>>2368986
Where do you find gardening needs?
As in nerds into gardening not profesional gardeners.
>>
>>2368710
Fuck that looks so good.
>>
>>2369003
I guess you just meet more people and talk about your garden, people either look at you like a retarded child for getting excited about plants, or they geek out about their own plants
>>
Any tips on lowering soil ph from 7 to 6?
>>
>>2369028
Pretty much this, lol. A GREAT way to meet gardening nerds (or to create them) is to give away starter plants and herbs. Most listserves don’t mind (but check first) if you drop a FREE VEGETABLE PLANTS shoutout. I’ve met several people that way. You might want to look around for community gardens. Most people who dedicate time towards those I’ve found aren’t fickle, trend-chasing idiots. Most community gardens donate to food pantries so you’re helping others as well.
>>
>>2369003
friend got into plants big time when he made account into horticulture forums and took part in seed chain letters, take a seed leave a seed then mail it forward type of deal
worked really well too because in no time he was exchanging seeds and seedlings of all kinds with local people
community gardens are good places to find like minded people too but i myself think they are prone to thieves
>>
>>2369003
In gardens, mostly.
>>
File: whatisthis.jpg (663 KB, 720x1280)
663 KB
663 KB JPG
this dude is growing in the same pot where i planted pepper seeds. sprouted like 2 weeks before the peppers did. any ideas on what this is?
>>
>>2368666
must be hot in hell
>>
holy shit, tilled my soil and the weeds are goddamn relentless.
>>
>>2369109
looks like a tomato.
>>
>>2369116
You dig up and exposed all those seeds. Of course. Almost as many ways to deal with as people that's grow plants.
I prefer to lay down a ton of newspaper. But that's doesn't work for some of my perennial like chamomile. And some people don't unlimited access to paper.
>>
>>2369144
can't really mulch until seeds I direct planted sprout so I know where to mulch.
>>
>>2369146
Next time youll mark your rows then wont you anon.
>>
File: IMG_20220515_145404.png (3.12 MB, 1512x2016)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB PNG
These are recently planted blackberries, navajo i believe is the variety, but the margins of the leaves are red. Cause for concern or am i being autistic? No other visible problem with it and the canes look fine
>>
>>2369174
I know where they are, just don't want to mulch until I know they sprouted
>>
>>2369177
What kind of soil are they planted in?
What have you been feeding them?
Are they planted in full sun or partial shade?
>>
>>2369109
It doesn’t look like a tomatoe, not sure what it could be besides a local weed, from the looks of the leaf it could be in the lamiaceae (mint) family
>>
>>2369190
Slightly acidic soil. Only fed them a mild 4-4-4 granular fert once they put on some buds (jobes or some shit lmao idk what was on sale). Partial shade, under the substory of a grove of fruit trees, to where it gets full sun until about 4pm
>>
>>2369192
could it be nettle?
>>
>>2369194
After checking mine, I can tell you that sometimes blackberries just do that. So long as it keeps growing, you're generally good.
>>
>>2369200
Thanks anon, they are otherwise very healthy for first year canes so i wont worry. I appreciate you quelling my plant autism.
>>
File: scythe.png (428 KB, 345x602)
428 KB
428 KB PNG
>be me
>strolling with qtπ through city park
>this secluded area hasn't had its grass cut yet
>it's knee height and pristine
>instincts kick in, start imagining it
>grips firmly in my hands
>core swings ever so slightly
>feel the swoosh
>can already smell it
>let go audible HHNNNGG
>>anon, what happened?
>snap back to reality
>wop, there goes gravity
>spaghetti falls out
>>oh nothing i was just ugh thinking of ugh porn, you know
>...

i just love scything, bros
>>
File: IMG_20220516_113921.jpg (2.89 MB, 4032x3024)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
got this thunbergia from the plant store yesterday, in slightly more than 24 hours it is already started climbing up the cattle panel. I'm doing all vines on this cattle panel this year, it's extra from what I needed to do my raised bed trellis, so I'm going thunbergia, morning glory, cardinal climber vine, and maybe some more if I can find anything else.
>>
File: IMG_20200425_132915.jpg (3.66 MB, 2873x3831)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
best way to put up a trillis on this fence?
>>
>>2369239
Probably staple some welded wire panel to it or something like chicken wire, but thatd look more shitty
>>
File: file.jpg (240 KB, 1024x1024)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>2369239
>>2369242
got two of these (similar)
>>
>>2369239
screw raised planks to both sides and make a mesh out of yarn/string
maybe one think plank into the middle for some support
>>
File: file.jpg (25 KB, 267x400)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>2369244
like i said i already have the trellis, i just want to know the easiest/best way to attach it to the plants with some kind of standoff
>>
>>2369243
If you already have them, some hardware staples (not the office kind) and a proper staple gun will secure it without being too permanent. Or if you want it there forever you can use some U nails
>>
>>2369246
planks*
>>
File: IMG_20210704_080102.jpg (512 KB, 2016x1512)
512 KB
512 KB JPG
>>2369247
i dont want it flat on the plank/fence cus i want to be able to tie up the blackberry easily
>>
>>2369250
>>2369246
get some really big nails, like 4 inch nails, pound them 1 inch into your wood, this will give you a decent enough standoff to attach your trellis to.
>>
>>2369254
hmm that's pretty good idea. and just metal-wire tie them to the nails, ye? i guess big screws would be easier to remove later if needed and prevent the metal wire from slipping.
ty
>>
File: great success.png (27 KB, 717x844)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>2369246
>>
>>2369261
yeh, screws would also work.
>>
>>2369196
Looks about right
>>
>high 80's low 90's today
>blueberries are alive again
>>
>>2369263
this, but I've been fucking the neighbors wife.
>>
>>2369343
Jealous anon, mine kind of gave up on the world over winter (maybe due to neglect) and only put out one little bundle of berries.
>>
Hey guys, I'm gonna be buying a land to start homesteading, I'm mainly interested in basic crops, rabbits and chickens. I would like to stay in Europe though, do you have any recommendations on where I should move to? I tried doing some research on my own but I would like to hear your opinions too. The countries that I like the most are Denmark, Norway and Switzerland. I understand the climates of Denmark and Norway are not the best for crops but if you have any information on how to combat this I'm all ears :)
(I'm not making a giant farm, just a basic plot)
>>
>>2369354
Maybe try the Ukraine, great agriculture!
>>
>>2369239
are u the dud gettin snow in april ?
>>
>>2369354
>I want to farm
>but only where its safe
>and not ideal for farming
>>
>>2369229
Based
>>
>>2369006
Best fruit ive ever tasted. Brix of 31 but wasnt cloying. Must have a really high acid content to keep sweetness in check.
>>
>>2369343
I'm rooting for your blueberries to recover, they are a really pretty plant that bears fruit. Their blossoms are beautiful, and their leaves deep red colors in the fall are amazing.
>>
>>2369374
not sure if im THE dude you mean but yes we usually get snow in april, and last frost can be end of may.

>>2369376
>you cant farm unless it's not perfect conditions
there's farmers in the arctic circle, dipshit.
>>
>>2369229
Does it actually feel good?
Ever since I watched the House that Jack Built I've wanted to try
>>
I planted two raspberry bushes in my raised bed last year and these fuckers are taking over, anything I can do to contain them?
>>
>>2369473
>responding to the wrong guy; dipshit
>>
>>2369497
lol no, you can just not water them and maybe they will die. Once they establish a root system they are a weed that stores more energy in their roots than they spend on fruiting or vegetation. If you sever the roots, the remianing root becomes it's own independent plant. We have warned you fuckers about raspberries.
>>
>>2369497
Just yank them if they spread where you don't want and remember to thin them out within the cluster and fertilize them now and again. Maybe put the new plants in plastic cups and sell them or give them away.
>>
>>2369505
nah, you have to put in a barrier, then those roots will destroy it eventually. that plant is prolific, it will eat foundation if not contained.
>>
>>2369499
nope
>>
>>2369284
It is catnip due to the wider reach and rounded edges.
>>
>>2369511
Incorrect. Here is a reading comprehension lesson for you:
>>2369354
>" I understand the climates of Denmark and Norway are not the best for crops"
>>2369376
>"I want to farm"
>"and not ideal for farming"
>>2369473
>replying to the second guy, not the first
>"there's farmers in the arctic circle, dipshit."
You can do better.
>>
>>2369605
nope, still for you.
>>
>>2369610
>still too stupid to realize im calling him stupid
pottery
>>
Is it still possible to plant beets in zone 7 or am I too late?
>>
>>2369638
Plant the seeds pussy what do you have to lose
>>
>>2366681
New Thread:
>>2369644
>>2369644
>>2369644
>>
>>2369605
Thank you for reading the whole thing lmao

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.