[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 150 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: Bluenose.jpg (143 KB, 1199x810)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
Sailing, boats, stuff on the water thread
Last one died and no one has remade it yet and I need to ask a question.
>>
File: bote.png (1.32 MB, 900x600)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
Question time
Anyone recognize this? Considering buying it. It's obviously very rough, but also dirt cheap and seems well suited to my local lake. Supposedly an unfinished project that "can be sailed as is" with no more information than that. I've never worked on a boat before but don't mind a few hours sanding and painting or replacing some wood. Does it look salvageable or a lost cause?
>>
>>2361436
it takes much more than just sanding or painting. if you don't know what you're doing don't buy it. there's a reason why it's dirt cheap
>>
filthy freshwater anon here, im a smooth brain, how do i match up a battery (capacity) to an electric motor?
figured you guys in here would be the most helpful
>>
>>2361436
Depends on how much rigging, blocks and lines she needs. You could spend hundreds on blocks alone if they are all missing. If everything is there and just needs some elbow grease and paint then it could be a fun project. Ask to see the mast and sail go up.
>>
>>2361436
>the most expensive boat is the boat you pay the least for
looks like a lot of missing hardware and the wood quality is suspect, if it's just a toy and you have the discretionary income that's one thing
>>
>>2361438
I'm no expert but on a basic level it's find the power draw of the motor in amps then decide what run time you want and get a battery with the appropriate amp hour rating to meet that.
So if you've got a motor that pulls 10 amps during normal use a 100 amp hour battery would run it for 10 hours, theoretically.
>>
If it's a 12v motor, just buy the biggest 12v marine battery you can fit. Or rig up a pair of 6v batteries in series.
>>
>a few hours sanding and painting or replacing some wood
Rule #1 of boat building: It will cost more and take longer than you think
>Does it look salvageable?
Yes, but you need to have realistic expectations. How much are they asking for it?
>>
>>2361436
Looks like a boat called an Enterprise. Sails and rigging can be found extremely cheap. You will be sanding, epoxying and replacing pieces but whatever
>>
>>2361716
It's 400 leafbucks, including the trailer which is in similarly mysterious condition but if it's at all roadworthy would be worth close to that on its own.

>>2361877
Thanks, that was helpful. I was having trouble finding the name.
Sounds like it's not ideal for me, I was expecting something closer to a wayfarer just from the looks but from what I'm reading online it's a more specialized 2 person racing boat. I like the sound of "extremely cheap" though, and while not ideal for everything it still looks like a fun ride. Lots of restoration videos on youtube that look pretty doable but obviously can't say what it needs without actually looking at it.

I think I won't bother rushing but if it's still around in a few days when I've got nothing else on my plate maybe I'll call and see if I can check it out.
>>
>>2361449
the dream would be to somehow rig it up so the battery would be charged by solar
>>
I want to get a ketch and live off the grid. Traveling alone in the oceans has been my dream. Plus, all this inflation/vaccine shit/possible famine is really making me nervous about the future.

Anybody did this? My only concern at the moment is how one would get clean water - everything else (including electricity via solar/food via storage) seems simple enough
>>
>>2362247
>It's 400 leafbucks, including the trailer which is in similarly mysterious condition but if it's at all roadworthy would be worth close to that on its own.
Does it have a title? In lots of places having it titles is required but apparently didn't used to be so there are tons of boats with no title but then you can't register them. So I've heard anyway, my state doesn't give a shit about such nonsense thankfully.
>>
>>2361436
Skip that, look for a old sunfish or laser. Sunfish hulls actually hold up better. Both should be around $500-$2000. The higher the price generally should mean sails, and trailer or dolly included in good shape.
>>
>>2362583
You can use a fresh water generator and run the distilled water through a uv filter and a mineralizer for those essential salts.
It's basically free water.
But you'll still need to maintain your boat, buy food and pay docking fees so I don't know how much money you'll be saving in the long run.
>>
Used wetsuits for a poorfag first time snorkeler... yay or nay? Water is cold here (Vancouver Island), sea surface temps typically 5-10C in my area. Tried swimming nude last summer and it was just too damn cold for me. Anything else I need? Boots, hood, gloves, undergarments? Goal is to learn to swim better and to harvest shellfish. Would also like to SCUBA eventually but can't afford it yet.
>>
>>2363016
Sunshine Coastfag here. Can confirm, the water is fucking cold, hence the sailboat. Used wetsuit seems like a good idea
>>
>>2362297
very simple. just look up any rv battery solar charging tutorial.
>>
What is travelling across oceans alone really like? The most sincere non-clickbait channels seem to imply there are highs and lows, is that a fair assessment?
>>
File: water.jpg (67 KB, 1000x667)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>2364308
I can't say much since I was working most of the time but the few times I've been on the ocean I was shocked at how dark the water is. It looks like rows of obsidian and graphite. Sleeping is rough sometimes. I often woke from the dream-falling feeling more often than on land.
>>
>>2363016
Wearing someone else's piss bag? If it doesn't smell bad, then go for it.
>>
>>2364308
it takes FOR FUCKING EVER.
there are good and bad times, depending how you do it you could have multiple DAYS where you're bored out of your skull, and you can't really dissociate in a book/movie/music because there's shit that has to get done RIGHT NOW every 15-20 minutes, and you never get a full night's sleep so after about 3-4 days you might get auditory hallucinations, more so if you're solo/shorthanded. still fulfilling as fuck though.
>>
>>2364308
I think this video shows a lot of how miserable it can be
https://youtu.be/Uchp3MTi5yo
Granted they're sailing with a baby which makes things even worse, but lack of sleep, physical injury, and illness make it even shittier.

I also think Christian William's "Alone Together" vlog and subsequent California-Hawaii vlogs does a decent job of showing the highs and lows for a single-hander, including a lot of issues where things just break and you have to find a way to fix or at least jury-rig it to get to your destination. He also goes into the auditory hallucinations >>2364329 mentions in his book about his first trip. How to sail Oceans is also a good one channel for non-clickbait ocean sailing, as is Patrick Laine.
>>
>>2361438
Read the manual.
>>
>>2361716
Wrong. Rule #1 of boating: it is better to know someone with a boat than own one yourself.
>>
>>2365075
Fucking... I hate how right this is.
>>
>>2365075
100%. Why join the ranks of those constantly desperate for crew, when you could simply be crew and be the belle of the ball?
>>
>>2361436
This looks similar to a Sunfish. You can buy one in decent condition for ~1-3k, depending on where you live. I would do that if I were you. IDK how cheap that boat is or how much money you have, but you would probably be much better off buying a Sunfish for 2 grand instead of that.
>>
>>2365075
Fuck that, I love my boat.
>>
>>2364308
My dad did it in South East Asia, he's one of those types who do completely awesome feats and only talk about them on a whim (examples include when he got stuck in the snow near a tree when he was snowboarding in Japan and him living like 2 years in Vietnam and being fluent in Vietnamese), he pretty much described it as the worst part of his life, and one day he hit his head (he's like 6'4) on the doorway and just completely breaking down and punching the walls and shit. He also said its like living on a different planet sometimes, and one day he saw some fishermen out there and it really fucking scared him, like just out in the vast ocean. He was alone for most of it and often just ate whatever he caught since he's a massive fishing nerd. If anyone wants to ask him something I'll ask him
>>
>>2367095
How old was he when he started living at sea? Did he have trouble with responsibilities when he left for sea, just packing up and leaving society at a presumably young age. e.g. other people are working towards careers he's exploring the ocean. Thanks
>>
>>2361436
looks like a blue jay or 420. definitey salvageable, but i've got no idea bout effort or cost.
>>
>>2367140
he was 21 when he left and came back to settle at 25. He's also been to Europe and eastern Asia. He left school and tried getting into construction but he pretty much just could never enjoy his work, told his grandparents he was going on a holiday, he bought a boat with his money from construction (he was a concreter), bought a boat, got his passport and licence and just left. He said a lot of people thought he was going to die or come home extremely poor, he said he just had to focus on himself for a while and block everyone and everything out, but when he got to society in Asia he had a lot of fun, mainly because he wasn't working and everything was super cheap
>>
I have one of these Jackerys and it’s pretty good to have on a boat. I’d like to add a portable solar panel that I can just tie to the deck and bring to another boat if I want. Any recommendations? Looking for portable and waterproof.
>>
Are Catamarans a meme or does it make sailing more comfortable but at increased cost?
>>
>>2368672
Depends on the size.
>>
>>2368672
memiest of memes.
costs twice as much to go 1.5x as fast with twice as much shit breaking
you will get roughly the same enjoyment out of a hobie and a laser
>>
>>2368672
They can definitely go really fast downwind but to my understanding they don't go upwind as well. The larger, nicer catamarans all seem to have a lot of extra hull windage as well, but I'm not nearly experienced enough to know how much that extra windage affects them over a similar length monohull. The only reason I personally would consider buying a cat (and probably something smaller like a Gemini 105) is just to make it easier for the dogs while they're on board, but it's not like you can't modify the companionway on a monohull to make things almost as easy for them. I might charter a cat when I take some of my less nautically-inclined family on vacation to kind of help get them introduced to sailing and the fact that the boat will heel some, but hopefully I can get them on the local lake on the club's monohulls first and ease them into it that way.
>>
>>2368016
Yeah I understand that a lot thanks dude your dad is based as fuck
>>
What about trimarans? Best of both worlds? Aside from cost.
>>
>>2372401
more like worst of three worlds. center hull is nice for stiffness but outer hulls (amas) are worthless beyond providing nominal buoyancy
>>
>>2368672
just get an Oppie
>>
First sail on my new-to-me 2002 Beneteau 361 on Sunday.

First the jib clew broke, then 5 minutes later the mainsail blew apart. Luckily I had a captain helping me on my first sail.

I had a new jib made over the winter, which I'm pretty happy to have, but now I'm trying to get a new mainsail made ASAP. Sweet Jesus, this is so much more expensive and time-consuming than is windsurfing. I just lost half a day tracking down a roller furling line block to attach to a stanchion and a bottle of dry sail lube. And I'm paying a guy to meet me at the boat at 8 am Thursday to swap out the jibs.
This shit better be fun.
>>
>>2361435
I am extremly disapointed about no one making the "semen" joke.
Shame on you guys
>>
>>2376087
I think that was /SG/ 1-3
>>
For my fellow mates in the industry, does the imposter syndrome ever go away?
>>
>>2376009
It is fun but the cost goes up with the volume of the boat, and your beneteau 361 is a lot of fucking boat lol. But, aside from teh fun of sailing that's something that you can easily bluewater cruise on or just take friends and women out on a nice sail and have lunch and all that. Do you do any local weekly races? That's always fun.
>>
>>2376009
>First boat is a Beneteau 361
I kind of envy you, kinda don’t. You started out nearer the deep end price wise. I do like Beneteaus, nice boats. Have fun Anon, because it is fun.
>>
>>2377292
Thanks, broski
>>
Why exactly are there so many sailboats from the 70s?
>>
>>2378713
that was when they started making good fibreglass boats so they exploded in popularity, and they tended to overbuild them because it was a relatively new technology so they tend to survive at least well enough to still be boat shaped and float even if the coring is all rotted
>>
File: 1633493504051.jpg (90 KB, 1024x607)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
bump
>>
File: gentry-chautauqua.jpg (119 KB, 1024x683)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
Thinking about building a boat. Probably going to go for a sailing canoe, though a nice regular canoe with flat bows like above is tempting, and then just stick a sailing rig and leeboard on it.
Of course skin on frame as in pic related would be quicker, easier, and cheaper.
>>
>>2362583
You want to live at sea permanently? Maybe you should buy a gun.
>>
>>2364329
>still fulfilling as fuck though
Mind going into more depth about this bro? What do you get out of it?
>>
>>2380954
Probably good to have in emergencies. Hide it somewhere deep in the boat and don't announce it when arriving at foreign ports because it's too much hassle.
>>
Redpill me on sailing
I feel extremely attracted in a platonic and sexual way to wind and water. I have severe schizophrenia. I believe that people who drown turn into orcas (which is a good thing). Do I have what it takes to be a sailor?

A local sailing club is offering four (4) free sailing lessons, I sent them a message. Give me some tips.
>>
>>2381308
stop being a fag?
>>
>>2381308
>I have severe schizophrenia.
We know.
>>
>>2380424
God’s work anon
>>
>>2381308
>tips
Wear non marking shoes
Bring hat, water and sunscreen
>>
>>2381308
Idk anon, do you have what it takes to be an orca?
>>
>>2381914
goddamn that's comfy
>>
>>2381921
Was sleeping on my boat on Saturday. First time in a while. Super comfy
>>
Is anyone familiar with Japanese boating regulations? I've been curious about sailing for a long time and finally have a little 'disposable income' to invest into it. Been reading Chapman's and entertaining the thought of taking the upcoming JMRA exam for my license, but I can't find much online that actually outlines the law here. Website mentions that they sell textbooks in office but that's nearly 3 hours there then back. It;s one thing if that's for the test itself, but just to get the book is shit.
>>
Can we look to make a stickie for /seaman/ for how to get into sailing, the different forms of sailing that people do and how to sail?
>>
File: van gogh orca.jpg (365 KB, 879x878)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>2381319
>post unrelated to homosexuality
>immediately thinks about homosexuality
anon...

>>2381920
Yeah man, just imagine freely searing through the water under the pacific sunset with your based orcabros
>>
File: 7186-2.jpg (21 KB, 400x250)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>2382185
Just get on a boat and go. If something's gonna happen it's gonna happen out there.
>>
>>2382259
> Just go out and sink bro!

I don't want to be one of those guys who assume they can sail because they watched Pirates of the Caribbean. Shit looks hard.
>>
File: 49253668283_526ee9f81e_o.jpg (103 KB, 1080x1080)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>2382259
and wear a life jacket!
>>
>>2383004
It’s a steep learning curve. Some time on someone else’s boat or lessons is a good idea.
>>
>>2382238
That picture is so ugly but charming.
>>
>>2383004
That's why you watch Captain Ron instead.
>>
>>2383004
I bought a 36-footer last winter and I'm teaching myself with books and youtube. Will be sailing all weekend - third sail. My wife is even more clueless than I bc at least I've sailed a few Lasers and I windsurf. But we manage. Might have fractured my hand last weekend on a bad tack. Gotta slow down the turn on our tacks so that I'm not going crazy on the jib sheets.

You can do it. You just ... do it.
>>
Is buying a yacht to live on and renting out my house (mortgage free) a good idea?
>>
>>2376660
XO on a 144ft superyacht, coming up 11 years in the industry. No, not really.
>>
Anyone built their own boat before? I saw some videos about it on youtube and it actually seems pretty doable. A lot of things like steaming wood I'm already familiar with.
>>
>>2384926
still have to pay dock fees, depending on how big $20-50/foot/month is the average
>>
>>2385684
>average
Really depends on where you are. I’m paying $8 a foot right now.
>>
Can someone with a sailboat please explain to me in actual terms why owning one is such a pain in the ass? No one actually says anything specific, just vague "oh it'll haunt you" spooky shit. What specifically is so difficult and time consuming/expensive? How can anything go wrong with a giant piece of fiberglass and plastic floating in the ocean?
>>
>>2385936
Morage fees, frequent maintenance because it's sitting outside in the weather/sun/water. Anything electrical gets slowly fucked especially if in salt water. Also all sailing gear and miscellaneous related items aren't cheap (proper PFD, foul weather gear, VHF radio, updated charts/cruising guides, etc).
>>
>>2385716
monthly, with water and electric? shietttt
>>
>>2386168
Pretty much this. By the time you finally have the last thing fixed up and done on your boat, the first one is gonna need fixing again lol.

>>2384961
I haven't yet, but planning to. It's definitely do able, a ton of people have done it and are doing it. Are you planning a traditional wooden build? I've heard it can be more difficult but it's supposed to be much more enjoyable, since it's more of the fun sort of wood work, vs cutting out shapes in plywood and slathering shit with epoxy.
>>
>>2384961
No, I'm pretty sure no human being has ever done this before
>>
>>2385936
I went to my boat with a friend on Sunday to do an oil change and other minor stuff. Left with a list of stuff to buy, and have to take tomorrow afternoon off to go back and finish. All engine stuff. Had to order from the engine manufacturer. Also, a sail ripped. That's a $5,0000 sail.
>>
>>2386910
What the hell did you do? How do you rip a sail at the dock?
>>
>>2386333
You have to pay water?! I have a 24 foot boat and I paid $1200ish for moorage and electricity for the year.
>>
>>2387755
more upscale places yeah, especially if you're refilling 60+gal fresh water tanks and washing decks/topsides weekly
>>
>>2381308
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0bmnOrKf_s
>>
>>2367083
I love my boat during summer and autumn. Mixed feelings during the early spring.
>>
>>2385936
For me, it's the maintenance.

>how can this window possibly still leak?
>was there always this much play in the rudder?
>where did that water come from?
>why did the last owner wire it this way?

I don't have a super-old boat, but it's not young either (around 1975). There's always something that's not quite right and needs attention. I don't really mind doing the work, but it takes a lot of time.

Fees matter too, but I have a decent income and no other expensive hobbies.
>>
>>2387590
Lol, it didn't rip at the dock. It ripped a week before I did the engine maintenance. Which, btw, I had to continue on Wednesday. Took 5 more hours. And I still have to change out the impeller, 2 fuel filters and a zinc anode this Sunday morning. If I can manage to get that all done, then I'll motor over to the fuel dock, and then practice anchoring with the wife for a few hours.
>>
My dream boat:
>skin on frame canoe/kayak catamaran that nest
>big standing platform for fishing (drop stitch inflatable on slats?)
>pedal yuloh
One day I'm gonna obtain the diy skills to engineer and build it. Easy to store, transport, setup, maintain, change loadout, fast yet stable, and foolproof propulsion.
>>
>>2389000
This is why electric motors in sailboats can't come quickly enough. I hate working on engines in tight spaces. Companies like Oceanvolt have a lot of growth potential as batteries continue to get cheaper and better.
>>
>>2389215
Mine has an outboard and I didn’t know at the time what a plus that is. Not working on 45 year old marine motors upside down in a cramped compartment. Just Japanese engineering that’s easily accessible. If I go to a bigger boat electric would be ideal.
>>
>>2389215
Same. It makes a lot of sense for sailboats especially imo. You can use propshaft regen to charge while under sail if you do coastal and offshore passages, and for people that daysail they're usually always charged from shore power anyways. Once I have my own boat, that's high on my list of refits. All the current new-build electric engine cruisers are out of my reach right now.
>>
>>2389688
>solar panels in sails that you can't crease
>constantly spinning prop
>exploding lithium batteries
ishygddt
>>
>>2361435
Anyone have any reccomendations on how to start sailing if you're interested?
>>
>>2390429
go to the local place where sailboats hang out and try to get one drunk so she'll let you handle her tiller
>>
>>2390516
pretty much this
>>
Never posted here before because this felt like so much of a pipe dream to me but I now feel like owning and sailing in my own boat will be possible in say 5 years time. I got awarded a fully sponsored cadetship as a deck officer in the merchant navy, so I'm hoping that'll help me in both maritime knowledge and saving the money to actually get a boat. Obviously I'll still need to brush up on sailing specific skills but I feel like I can now have my own boat by 25, and then cross the Atlantic.
>>
>>2361435
Is it possible to get a job on a sailboat with no sailing experience?
>>
>>2390974
the same as getting any job, you need some combination of skills, contacts, and luck
If someone is willing to hire and teach you on the job then yeah, obviously. If not, you can just throw yourself out there and try to get lucky, but it'll be harder with no experience.
It would definitely be a good idea to get at least a bit, even if just enough to say you can stand on deck without throwing up all over your shoes.
>>
>>2390989
I don't really get seasick, at least not from the times I've been on the ocean in motor boats. None of that was in rough weather though.
>>
>>2361435
Where can I find good sail schools in my area? Just moved to the coast from the Midwest, and might as well try and learn to enjoy all that water
>>
>>2391105
depends which coast
>>
Someone a few hours' drive away is selling this 1985 bayliner for a solid grand. It comes with the trailer (new tires), and the only thing they posted on the info for the boat is "the outdrive gears seized up and it's not repairable. It has a very healthy 350 merceuiser, my loss your gain".

I have no idea what any of that means, but I have a bit of mechanical experience as well as a friend who worked on R&D Toyota engines. Is this worth it for my first boat?
>>
>>2393434
see if you can haggle it down, the outdrive is the part of the engine that goes into the water (skeg/propeller/rudder) that makes the boat go; replacing that is going to be $2,000+
>>
>>2393434
>no mast
>>
File: boat.jpg (125 KB, 1100x733)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
I don't know the proper term but are there "small" ~30ft monohulls with above-deck cabins? That's what I like about catamarans. I want a smaller boat but with more open space and views. I don't want to feel stuck in the hull when I need shelter. Are there downsides to this design?
>>
>>2394686
I think the "above deck cabin" would be called a "pilothouse" so search for smaller boats with those, but it's mainly a thing on larger boats.
>>
>>2394686
Is this the kind of boat you're talking about?
https://moreboats.com/boats/pacific-seacraft/pilothouse-32/250474
>>
>>2394799
>>2394805
Looks like that might be it, I also found this company from the pictured boat and they call it a raised or deck-saloon on their boats, not sure if it's practically the same thing. Too expensive anyway.

https://www.sirius-yachts.com/yachts/310ds/
>>
>>2394686
It's less common on monohulls because it raises the center of gravity and increases the windage.
>>
>>2382138
I don't but I came across this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/PacificSolo/videos and I remember him going into depth about JMRA stuff
>>
>>2390429
Start with a sailing course, see if its something you might want to gamble on. In my opinion the only way is to start cheap after that is with a sailing dinghy. That is pure sailing right there. If you have to store it at the harbor the costs arent too bad either. Do that for a while to discover if you really like sailing. Then move up, or not, dinghies are in way a lot more fun than bigger boats. But bigger boats mean bigger trips, sleeping on the boat, having your own floating fortress.
>>
File: received_602254824644266.jpg (97 KB, 1920x1000)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>2390429
I got into tall ships, good way to get out to sea and get some experience and learning, even if it's a very different beast from smaller sail vessels. It works well for me since I have literally no money or responsibility to budget towards sailing rn.
>>2390989
Re: tall ships specifically I know at least a handful of people who do it as their main job and who got their license to do so through exclusively or primarily experience as volunteer skippers, which was basically a unpaid internship except with housing and food. Check local regulations.
>>
What kind of rain pants do people wear this time of year? I have thicker winter rain pants that are meant for sailing but it’s too hot now. If I put my cheap light hiking pants on I slide around all over the place as there is no grippy stuff on the butt.
>>
>>2396033
foul weather gear overalls and hooded jacket for nasty conditions. Not insulated, just thicker and more durable.

gill, magic marine etc make inexpensive thinner spray pants or "salopettes" too. Your deck should have some nonskid material and if it doesn't or it is worn through you should do something about that.

>>2394686
who buys a sailboat to stay out of the elements
>>
>>2397012
> Your deck should have some nonskid material
Yeah, it’s near the top of the to-do list. I enjoy the project aspect and improving my boat but the list always stays the same length. I knock some off, add some more…I’ll look for some spray pants thanks
>>
>>2394686
Pilot house is the term and they look fucking stupid on small boats.
>>
>>2395161
Thank you fren
>>
>>2397012
welcome back starchad
>>
Used anchor for the first time yesterday, and flew my new mainsail. Now I'm ready for adventure! Won't go too far until I get my rigging inspected next month. Running rigging is frayed. I'm hoping the standing rigging is ok.
>>
>>2397012
Stars are so fucking sexy.
>>
File: SILENT100_Exterior3.jpg (824 KB, 1920x1080)
824 KB
824 KB JPG
>>2364308
This, also, dumb question but is it a good idea to live on a 34m yacht like picrel?
>>
File: 125343145.jpg (71 KB, 735x636)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>Come all you young sailor men, listen to me!
>I'll sing you a song of the fish in the sea!
>And it's windy weather, boys, stoooormy weather, boys!
>When the wind blows, we're all together, boys
>Blow ye winds westerly, blow ye winds, blow
>Jolly sou'wester, boys, steady she goooes!
>>
Just got into sailing. Damn racing J80s is damn fun
>>
>>2400983
Ugly as sin floating condo block
>>
File: 3245674121412.png (638 KB, 1088x714)
638 KB
638 KB PNG
>>2361435
What do you guys think of the practicality of living on a small yacht like picrel? I have been wanting to move out of my parents house for a long time. But I am struggling to find a reason to pay £120,000+ for a shithole of a house. I've done my research and once purchased my only expenditure would be maintenance and mooring fee but not having to pay property tax covers the mooring so I only have to worry about maintenance but that still needs doing on a house. So I don't think its too outlandish an idea.
>>
File: 1653915348143.jpg (1.06 MB, 3399x2500)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>2402271
tons of people are liveaboards, but you need to think through some issues
>even a shoebox apartment has more livable square footage (cube has greater volume than half cylinder)
>boats are not well insulated, they will be hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and collect mold/mildew year-round
>you can get electricity from shore power and run most 120v electronics on that, but you cant put a ton of electrical load on the system
>limited tankage for water and waste, you'll either be filling up your water tanks in the snow from a hose or you'll be pumping out shit in the middle of the summmer
>boats tend to sink
>boats are affected by natural disasters
>after insurance and maintenance, dockage, having a PO box for mail and transportation to work the savings aren't as significant
>you are sinking cash into a depreciating asset whereas real estate will always hold value
>>
>>2402271
Westerlys are nice, but slow. There is thousands of them around in the uk so there is a huge community for advice, parts etc. The boat moored next to me is a centaur 25 as it happens.
>>
>>2361435
Is there an ultimate beginners guide on how to do this? I’m probably going to take classes
>>
>>2402809
Maybe try some simulators like esail. If people can figure out how to fly using Microsoft flight simulator I am petty sure people can figure out how to sail on a computer.
>>
>>2402843
The simulator can be a great tool for familiarizing oneself with the process; i can’t see myself “knowing how to sail” with that alone but it’s a great suggestion
>>
>>2402809
You can crew on other peoples yachts as often as you like. Just go to your local yacht club, they are always looking for people and yachts will often drop out of races for not having crew.
Its almost a cheat code for learning to sail
>>
>>2364308
Look up Adventures of a Old Seadog. He's the most realistic depiction of sailing alone.
>>
>>2403223
This. People always need crew.
>>
>>2402809
Don't know what country you're in but in the UK most sailing clubs will have beginner lessons on sailing dinghies quite cheap. That's how I got started and if you enjoy it take more lessons/crew for other people. The eSail Sailing Simulator is very good as far as simulators go, I've got it.
>>
>>2403223
>>2404741
So people will just let you sail long distances with them? I’d love to do that to be able to practice and visit places under supervision, but That requires a lot of trust
>>
>>2404803
Absolutely, if you go on your local yacht clubs whatsapp group, they will be asking for people all the time.
Not only that, they will actually love you for doing it.
The problem at most yacht clubs is they have enough boats and not enough people.
If you were in the uk you could crew on mine.
>>
>>2402283
>you are sinking cash into a depreciating asset whereas real estate will always hold value
Although some boats hold their value quite well. Catamarans especially. There is more demand due to less production right now.
>>
>>2402283
>>2406908
Its not just this, depreciation can work in your favour. Buy a boat that is already depreciated beyond a certain point and it can't really go down any more.
>>
>>2406956
it will unless you put money into maintaining it, there's a lot of boats out there worth a fat zero because they need more in repairs than they'd sell for afterwards
That doesn't mean they can't be worth buying, but a sailboat is never an investment
>>
>>2406997
Tbf though, that goes back to the house analogy. Or some cars. Of course you still have to maintain it, and you're typically not going to get back the value of maintenance plus improvements you make. But you can still sell it down the road for as much or more than what you originally purchased it for, dependent on you keeping it in shape.
>>
Where do I find netting found in the pic? I’m trying to secure everything down in my boat for heavier seas
>>
Bought a compac 16 yesterday. I couldn't be more happy with this purchase. Feels good to own a sailboat again.
>>
I just bought a mint condition 1985 Macgregor 25 and I dont know how to sail other than researching videos and manuals tis hints and tricks please?
>>
Buddy bought one of these last year.
>>
bought another sunfish to add to my collection of waterlogged sunfishes in the back yard. up to three, but at least I got one onto a horse.
>>
>>2367095
What's your dad doing now?
>>
>>2407160
Just do it by yourself. You only need some nylon thread
>>
>>2407160
why is your boat full of rocks?
>>
>>2408945
To make the netting? I guess you’re right. I do remember seeing this done on Alone.
>>2409458
Ballast
>>
Was racing this weekend. Good fucking time.
>>
So I already know I'm retarded for wanting to spend the rest of the summer beach camping and cruising along the coast. But am I double retarded for kind of wanting to do it in this mf?
Portland pudgy, designed as a sailable liferaft or tender, like 8 feet long but dead stable, self-righting, and apparently suprisingly spacious/comfortable to sit in. I found one for sale for $1,950 near me but it still needs the sail kit so I'd have to buy that as well (another thousand or so).
I'm just really taken with the idea of camping out of a small boat that's basically unsinkable and is comfortable to row or sail.
>>
>>2363148
Sunny Coast chads unite, fucking love the diving round here
>>
>>2412303
8 feet is really smol bud.
We raced mirrors when i was a kid and they were too small as a kid.
Get at least an 18 footer
>>
File: Morden.jpg (19 KB, 360x360)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2412303
>sailable
>>
File: eatshit.png (49 KB, 1042x311)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>2412405
It's rough because I know you're right. I've been sailing a 12 foot sunfish lately and I know how tiny 8 feet would be even in comparison to that. I totally accept intellectually that it's too small...but in my heart of hearts I still just love the idea of an absolutely tiny boat. I do just need to buy like an under-20 foot dinghy with a good dolly.
>>2412461
be more specific in your contempt. woodenboat, a couple of other magazines, and some independent youtube types have all said it sails surprisingly well, if that's what you mean. Naturally it doesn't close haul well, but it reaches and runs just fine.
Unless you object to my use of that word, in which case see picrel.
>>
File: Stødig.jpg (676 KB, 1600x1100)
676 KB
676 KB JPG
>no tools or real place for it
>only slight boating experience, sailing or mechanical (too poor to have grown up with much of that)
>only recently in position to have savings
Really in love with the idea of saving up until I can get something like this and just fuck off to live on the ocean
>hermit mode with radio and ideally a computer/internet hookup
>just connected enough to be quasi-sociablebe and be able to arrange resupply or call for help
How hard/expensive would it be acquire such a ship assuming I just have enough money to thow at one?
>>
>>2412708
thats a life raft
>>
>>2412737
A life raft that somebody refinished to be a liveaboard. There's a whole bunch of youtube series (that I assume you've seen) about the process, surely watching one of those would give you some idea?
>>
>>2412708
Anon, I see where you are going with this and I like it but you're forgetting one major thing. Romance. One's dreams should have a romantic component. Buy a sailboat. You'll thank me.
>>
>>2361436
Looks like a waste of time and money
>>
>>2411384
Pricy sails... nice.
>>
>>2411384
Why is your Cunningham slammed so tight on downwind!?
>>
>>2407481
Get on the water and fucking do it. Seriously. Only way to learn. Don't be a landlubbing pussy.
>>
>>2412655

There are a lot of really good roof-toppable or packable sailing dinghies out there, and new options showing up all the time since it's an area that of constant innovation. What are you criteria? Obvs budget is a non-issue if you are looking at spending $3000 to sail an 8' boat that weighs (lol. lmao) 130lbs...
>>
How are the early MacGregor Venture 21s? You get a lot of mixed opinions about them online, but it seems to be heavily affected by the larger, water ballasted boats having a terrible reputation.
>>
How important is it to have standing headroom taller than you on a liveaboard?

I'm 188CM tall and I'm kind of worried about getting a boat and having to bend over most of the time on it?

I'm thinking of getting something like a JEanneau voyager 11.20 or similar to live on with my partner and 2 toddlers but it seems like headroom would become an issue quite quickly?

Anybody on the taller end have any experience with this kind of issue?
>>
Just bought a 31’ Bombay Clipper bros, needs repowering, rewiring, complete interior overhaul of course along with new running rigging and definitely a paint job. I’m a married man now I guess. About to pull the boat version of Julie and Julia with Nigel Calder and Don Casey
>>
>>2412968
I think bending over all the time would just get kind of old if you can’t stand up below. I’m 5’10” and even bending my neck to go through to my vberth is slightly irritating but, that’s just me I guess!
>>
>>2411384
And how much did the carbon fiber mast and boom run you? What kind of boat is it?
>>
>>2402843
VR sail Training when, I haven’t checked out Esail but I’m definitely going to now, I’d never heard of it
>>
>>2412803
Well ideally something shallow draft and flat bottom, since my area has tons of tidal flats. Lighter is better, the perfect one would be decent for rowing as well as sailing but that's lower priority. My bad-weather tactic would be beelining to the shore but I would like something capable in a heavy chop. My budget is anything under 5k at the moment.
>>
>>2412708
You need a sail boat to go on the ocean, Boat engines are extremely inefficient, even with thousands of litre's of fuel you could probably travel 200 miles.
>>
>>w2412788
Cunningham is lying in the cabin top anon. I am still new though. Just coming up on two years of sailing now.
>>2413046
It’s a San Juan 24. The boom and mast are just anodized aluminum. All SJ24’s have black masts and booms.
>>
File: grand_banks_36.jpg (101 KB, 504x361)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
What is considered a "starter" trawler? I see a lot of Grand Banks, is that the entry point?
What kind of range do people generally get? Do people just island hop?
>>
>>2413274
Ah I gotcha, hey still that’s good shit bro keep on keepin on
>>
I had a question I thought /seamen/ would be able to answer. Why are winches not used to moor a vessel to a pier? It seems like it would be more cost effective for ports and marinas to have, also reducing hands needed on deck to pull the vessel in.
>>
>>2413659
Thanks anon. I really love this.
>>
Yesterday was my 15th sail on my 2002 Beneteau 361 in Rhode Island. Had her doing 7.2 knots for most of the time (about 3.5 hours). I'm getting comfortable with this shit. I owe it all to books and YouTube.
>>
>>2414416
You have pics of her anon? Glad this is working out for you
>>
>>2413946
Sometimes they are. The hard part, though, is that for a winch to work, a rope has to run from the boat to the dock. It's pretty hard to throw a rope very far, and if you've already used an engine or other means to get in that close to the dock, why suddenly stop and scurry to use a winch instead? They're just very situational, and even very large heavy boats (60 footers and up) are pretty easy to haul along without mechanical advantage due to so little friction.
>>
>>2412790
Reporting back after just doing it got my jib up and had a hell of a time getting used to the lean and wind catching but I sailed for about 3 hours and it started getting very gusty and choppy was a bit nervous so I pulled it down and motored in going again Saturday to Sunday and hoping to get both sails up and do some more exploring
>>
>>2365075
It's a fact. Storing and maintaining a boat is a bitch. Much easier to come up with gas money.
>>
>>2367095
what does his dick look like?
>>
>>2393434
you're fishing a little dry there, cap'n
>>
>>2396033
are you familiar with the Gordon Fisherman?
>>
>>2412708
if you arent in a cold weather that shit is going to be a fucking sauna
>>
I have an inflatable dinghy with a 2 horsepower outboard that I call my "yacht".
>>
>>2414767
Thanks, bro. Sorry, no pics. But on the topic of the costs of sailing, the tide came in and flooded a few inches of the front of my Audi while I was sailing on Tuesday. Water was only halfway up the front tire, and the entire rear portion of the car stayed dry. Now I have no power steering or airbag, and my mechanic, and an autobody guy, and the insurance adjuster who is coming to inspect it on Monday all say it's very likely to be totalled. Only 100,000 miles and I put new tires on it the day before. Oh, and the car is starting to smell like low tide.

So, keep your car out of salt water, kids. Apparently it's like lava.
>>
has anyone lived on a sailboat full time? what was it like? my brother is planing on getting a boat within the next few years and and I will be living with him on it. what am I in for?
>>
>>2361435
I have a question too. I’m making a floating dock that can support about two thousand pounds. Can I use this as a fishing raft because I don’t really need a dock?
>>
HARD CHINES
what's the disadvantage?
>>
File: IMG-20210921-WA0001.jpg (207 KB, 1200x1600)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
Anyone here in Boston and need a crewmate?
>>
>>2385936
Like others have said, the costs associated with keeping it somewhere. When it comes to upkeep and repair, just about every single marine-grade raw material, fitting or accessory is expensive. Limited room to do pain-in-the-ass work with vapors and fiberglass dust. Paying someone else to do the work can cost a fortune. Salt and moisture always around so shit starts to deteriorate way faster than on land. A neglected boat is a danger to anyone onboard and maybe other boats so you can't put minor stuff off the way you might with a house. Plus constant wind and waves wear out equipment faster than you would think. Not to mention motor problems.
With all that said it's extremely rewarding and once you grow to love it it's completely worth it
>>
>>2412826
I have a late 70's Venture 222. I got mine for dirt cheap and in quite seaworthy (though not the prettiest) condition. Good first-time boats and surprisingly fast. Not a lot of room either in cockpit or cabin, but a fun boat. My primary complaint has been, like I said, how shallow the cockpit is.
I used to sail an Aquarius 21 with my dad and I felt completely secure sitting in the cockpit where the Venture I feel like I'm squatting a bit. The flotation foam is kind of nice to know is there but it also takes away a lot of storage space.
>>
AND WE'LL BE ALLLLLRIGHT...
>>
>>2416225
Is it worth it? How is storage? How cheap can I get one? I'm desperate to fish for mackerel but I'm too poor and too scared to kayak into 60 foot depths in open ocean with 100s of insanely large constant waves from monstrous boats
>>
>>2416470
That wallows in lameness… I’m guessing you loved your car? The ocean is no joke. It’s just relentlessly destroying everything it touches.ynnrk
>>
>>2416225
I have a pair of inflatables, one's big enough for two and a little cargo and the other is smaller, perfect for one and some gear. It's nice to be able to bike to the river, air up the little boat and go for a ride upstream.
>>
File: 21476217486124.jpg (211 KB, 640x480)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>2361435
Can poor fags into sailing? I have always dreamed of sailing around on a little boat but I always get scared away by people claiming to buy a boat I need to be willing to spend $20k a year minimum. I thought about buying a sail for my canoe like pic related but even with pontoons or an outrigger canoes are so shallow I feel it would get swamped on the first big wave.
>>
>>2420783
You can buy a 22’ trailerable sailboat for $2-3k if you don’t want to pay moorage. $3-6k for 24-27’ you keep in a marina. Depending on location that will cost $100- sky’s the limit per month. Really depends on how poorfag. If you’re willing to do things yourself and you’re handy it’s not that bad.
>>
>>2420783
$10k/year is more realistic but you have to be willing to 'shoe-string' and eat lost of rice and live very cheaply
>>
>>2420783
take the pirate pill. get a dinghy and keelhaul some boomers off their yacht. theyll be so confused they probably wont even put up a fight.
>>
>>2420783
depends what you want and where you are
the costs add up fast but can be kept quite low if you're in the right situation and have realistic goals.
You can probably find a beater but sailable old dinghy that just needs a good powerwashing for a couple hundred bucks if you look hard enough, and upkeep costs can be negligible if you store it yourself and don't mind old stretched out sails and can do the minor maintenance necessary. Keep an eye on craigslist/fbmarketplace or go put a wanted ad on the bulletin board at the local sailing club.

but it's also easy to go
>Oh boy, a 24ft boat for only 2 grand, what a bargain!
>it'll just need new rigging in 3 years, sails in 5, the bottom sanded and repainted in a year, the rotted deck core replaced and re-fibreglassed this year, the electrics and lights redone now, new cushions if you want to use the cabin, new portholes cause they leak, the outboard hasn't run in years, the zincs need replacing, then a slip at a marina, insurance to be allowed in the marina, etc etc
and then a couple years later you've spent 10 grand on your 2000$ boat and only sailed it four times.
>>
>>2420783
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=re2IrV8XXvs
>>2420806
> spent 10 grand on your 2000$ boat and only sailed it four times
I’m definelty $7k into my $3.5k boat but she gets sailed 4x a month year round and she’s a much better boat now. You do make a good point. Read the last survey she had for sure
>>
>>2420806
I kind of followed this path, I bought a 24 foot racing cruiser for a couple of thousand.
The guy I bought her from was racing her, so she was not really fitted out at all inside, but her sailing gear was great, and she had a brand new outboard, which in itself would be worth a couple of thousand.
On top of that she came with a years mooring at a decent yacht club.
Here's the thing though, the minute you start doing projects on a boat like that, the time and cost goes haywire.
There is a hack to all of this though, and that is just to make sure that you are sailing her the whole time, so you are getting good use of her.
I sail almost every weekend and to be honest, the inside of her is still in a state of disrepair, even after all the work we have done.
I will get her lifted out in the winter and do some bits, I fancy rewiring her and antifouling etc etc.
>>
>>2402491
A friend of mine bought one of these as his first boat ever. about six months later he figured he'd go on a long cruise singlehanded so he left Martha's Vineyard the day before Thanksgiving headed for the Bahamas. Two days after he left a huge Nor'easter blew up. He died. They found his boat a year or so later off the coast of Norway.
>>
>>2423043
That's why modern sailors have to check the weather often.
>>
>>2402271
I lived on a westerly Warwick, 22ft long, for about 6 months in Florida. Great little boat, but it is cramped. Hard to have friends over because of all my shit everywhere. Then when you want to go sailing you need to stow everything so your can sail.
>>
>>2423043
damn
>>
File: downloadfile.jpg (3 KB, 200x150)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
I inherited a livingston 14' boat my dad purchased shortly before he passed away. I can't figure out what year it is, but it came with a johnson 6hp 1978 outboard. It ran like a top this weekend, but had a leak around the drain assembly. Does anyone know what this piece is called? I did a search for johnson drain assembly and found this picture but was unable to find a part number or name. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>2425314
Did a search for livingston drain assembly.
>>
>>2394686
Its called a deck saloon
That specific boat is a Sirius yachts looks to be the,35
>>
>>2425314
Why not just give it a good tear-down and service?
>>
Got in touch with this guy from a Facebook group to come along sailing for a few days, get psyched.
>>
Met a guy at the marina a week ago. Mid-30's truck driver from Tennessee with zero sailing experience. Flew up to Rhode Island and bought a 20-something-foot Pearson. Seller sailed with him for a week to teach him to sail as part of the deal. I went on his boat with him in pretty high winds. He was struggling. He didn't have self-tailing winches, so tacking was difficult for him. Took him for a sail in my Beneteau 361 a few days later and he loved it.

He is going to (try to?) sail from Rhode Island to Florida. I called him a few hours ago to see if he'd left yet, and he had just rounded the 1st buoy on the way out of the marina.

So, you CAN just fucking do it. This kid is going to really struggle for the next few months, and desu I am not completely confident that he'll be able to do it, but god bless him. That's pretty baller.
>>
>>2427876
I am not sure how the word desu got in my post
>>
File: 1633736309126.jpg (54 KB, 923x635)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2427878
>he doesn't know
>>
File: IMG_20220728_225057323~2.jpg (948 KB, 4000x3000)
948 KB
948 KB JPG
Last night.
>>
>>2427878
Uhhh Anon…
>>
>>2427878
t b h becomes filtered to desu on 4weebs.
>>
>>2427876
UPDATE.
I texted him last night for a status update, and he sent me a selfie of himself in Times Square, NYC. I loled. He is moored at Port Washington, and reports that he will traverse Hell's Gate in a day or two, but that he's nervous and seeking advice from locals. I looked into Hell's Gate, and now I understand his concern. Sounds nerve-wracking.
>>
I’d like a pram dinghy to tow when on anchoring trips but would also like to be able to sail it on really light wind days. Is there a size up from Optimist?
>>2428314
Looks great Anon
>>2430499
I like the updates
>>
>>2430629
Mirror? I've never been on one but they're quite popular.
>>
>>2430629
honestly, a GP14.
A little bigger but much better than the Mirror or Optimist, and you can fit a small outboard (which you can't really do with an Optimist.)
>>
>>2361435
Can anyone recommend jobs on the water? I'm mid 20s, fit, not a retard, I was bouncing between Navy or Coast guard. I just wanna be out on the water and don't care if I'm trapped on a ship for 6 months. I want adventure
>>
>>2430499
Care to elaborate?
>Inb4 Google
I am fully intent on becoming the type of old man who gets all his information from sitting around shooting thecrap with his buddies despite none of them actually knowing shit about fuck.
>>
Any tips on how to better balance on a dinghy boat while boarding from a dock? I am fat guy 250lb 6''. I have a great time tacking and handling a dinghy with an almost fast moving speed. But everything goes south once I slow down or go back to the dock. A friend told me to get into core work or surfing.
>>
>>2431470
Stomp on the boat to the opposite side to the one you will step on from. Step as close to the mast as possible.
>>
>>2431279
I have no idea, but there's a Maritime General on /n/ about that kind of thing
>>
>>2431343
It's a narrow curve with a strong current that is clogged with large ships and tugboats, apparently.

I just texted him asking if he went through yet.
>>
>>2432590
He says he made it through Hell's Gate in one day, and that he is now at Atlantic Highlands, near Sandy Hook, NJ. Expecting to stay moored there for the next 2 days due to a chance of storms.

And as I'm typing this, he just sent me a pic of the statue of liberty. And now some pics of NYC skyline, cruise ships, what looks like an aircraft carrier, and a big square-rigged ship. Epic.

Being a truck driver must be a helpful background. I'd be lonely as fuck by now.
>>
>>2432595
Sounds like he's done his homework then. And idk, I've travelled alone for a bit but I wnder if I wouldn't feel less lonely alone on a boat than lugging between hostels in cities.
>>
>>2418593
THERE'S 24 FOOTER MAHOGANY STRIPPERS IN THE ARCTIC YOU SON OF A BITCH
>>
Courtesy flags sound like fun even if it only takes a minute to put up. I want to know other formalities of sailing that are fun.
>>
>>2433773
No fun allowed, sailing is srs bans.
That's why you have to tell READY ABOUT etc to your crew and speak funny words.
>>
Fuck boaters.
Bitch got what she deserved.
>https://youtu.be/T8aWEvdycls
>>
>>2435283
I never understood the appeal of canal boats.
I can't think of anything worse than being stuck in an artificial channel, with a predefined route.
It's the complete opposite of the freedom that the sea gives us lads.
>>
>>2433804
The moving parts on a sailboat can do a lot of damage to a person and when cruising or racing there can be 2-10 people doing different things that have to be coordinated every tack or gybe.
>>
Can I get a sailboat that can traverse the ocean for 2k? (Equipement not included in the price)
>>
>>2437163
Relax m80, been sailing all my life, no one has been hurt.
Live a little.
>>
>>2439156
Fair. Not great at relaxing.
>>
Why are old wooden sailboats so fucking cool?
>>
>>2439885
Come sailing mate, drunk, no safety gear, in questionable weather. It's fine.
>>
>>2361435
This might get laughed at, but im looking for compact option as a bonus for living out of a toy hauler.
I'm thinking about a Porta-Bote 14', and a Mercury FourStroke 6 HP to go with it.
Any opinions on anything besides price? I know they're expensive. But it collapses down to almost nothing, I can carry it on my own, and I can set it up on my own.
>>
File: mer1fx6201hk_1.jpg (40 KB, 475x725)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>2440049
>>
>>2440049

What's the mission? There are a lot of cool dinghies and stowable boats. That one looks like it would be more durable and have much greater carrying capacity than the average yacht toy though.
>>
>>2440059
>the mission
having a boat with me when i am staying months at a time out of town for work.
fishing and just getting out on the water would be the 2 big ones off the top of my head. anywhere in north america.
I have been toying with the idea of buying a sail kit for it too and learning to do that as well.
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (216 KB, 1280x720)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>2440064
>fishing and just getting out on the water would be the 2 big ones off the top of my head.

I think there are a lot of options that will let you do that. I would shop around before pulling the trigger, but if that's the boat you decide you want... yolo, right?
>>
>>2440074
>NO. NO GOD NOO. NOOOOOOOOO
sea eagle boats are pure trash. do not buy
>>
>>2440074
i was kinda hoping people would throw alternates to the porta-bote at me, but im not down with inflatable.
i have an inflatable tube. which is ok. but not a vessel. i want something that can't be taken out with a clumsy cast or pocket knife.
>>
>>2440049
My grandpa had one, not sure of the model but the same kind of design and I think it was porta-bote brand. Not exactly the same as the one in the picture at least but similar materials.
It was pretty solid, never as stiff as a real boat and it's really noticeable at first, but perfectly usable on the local lakes. He only had an electric trolling motor on it, aside from the oars, and that was plenty to putt around. I'm not sure I'd trust it with any real power but it's not like I've tried it.
He kept it until his mid 70s when carrying and putting it together started to be too much work and it held up well through regular but pretty light use over at least 15 years, I'm not sure when he first got it.

>>2440099
The main alternative I think would just be a normal boat on the roof the trailer, no?
You can carry a canoe on top of anything and if you're willing to drop a few grand you can get a really nice one that weighs nothing.
>>
>>2440110
>My grandpa had one
wholesome
>canoe
While I think canoes are cool as fuck, I don't consider them too light or portable. or entirely usefull for someone that wants to fish with a guest or 3.
if i owned a cabin on a lake i'd for sure have a canoe.
>>
File: seahopper-boat-01.jpg (183 KB, 518x317)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>2440099
Seahopper? Similar idea but wood construction.
I wouldn't dismiss inflatable out of hand tho. They run from your tube up to $100,000 zodiacs and beyond and for most of that range they are actually a lot more durable than fiberglass or aluminum hulls.
>>
>>2440143
i was actually looking at these last night.
cute little boat, but the porta-bote looks slightly better in my eyes as far as portability.
>>
>>2440264
also this is the sail kit i found to go with it.i know portabote had their own years ago, it must not have sold well.
https://www.sailboatstogo.com/catalog/product/7001
>>
>>2432595
His new youtube channel is My Unforgettable Adventure. He's new to making content, so some parts need a good fast-forwarding, but it's pretty interesting to see him on his little boat in the dark, lol.
>>
>>2361435
>My brother has a 28 foot sail boat
>It's berthed 5000km from me
AAAAUUUUUUUUUUUGH
>>
>>2437163
Isn't that spinnaker set too high?
>>
>>2441039
Oh yeah. This was a downwind start and they were behind us with all sorts of spinnaker problems. The photo is flattering them.
>>
>>2361436
No updates? People here are elitist but if you don’t got the money for a decent condition vessel than getting this and throwing a bit of money and effort here and there will be okayyy
>>
>>2441232
yeah, so I don't have a spinnaker, but have a cruising chute. There's an old boy who sails at my club who raised a point with me that was by the time you have set your spinnaker and taken it down gain, whatever you have gained, you may well have lost.
To be honest, I never use the chute now, if I am on a run I will just goose-wing.
Like you, i was out a little while ago, and not actually racing but sailing near a race and watching, and observed another club guy flapping around for ages with his, to achieve nothing, and he goes out with a full crew...

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.