[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 77 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Here’s a picture of my things, which I like. Please share pictures of yours.

Long black tube thing: tarp in snake skins
Silver thing: umbrella
Dark green thing to the right of the umbrella is a pillow
Black bag under that is hammock suspension and stakes
Red bag is my hammock and bug net
The ziplocks are my first aid and toiletries, and my maps, compass, and novel.
Above that is a fancy feast stove and a wind screen made of old soda cans.
The little bottles on the blue bag are my Aquamira kit.

This was what I used last week, when the low temps were around 50°, then highs were around 80° with a small amount of rain, and several hours another day on an old road with sparse shade and no clouds.
>>
Well I guess it depends on where Im going retard
>>
File: 2022-03-12_23-17-40.png (1.23 MB, 3171x1779)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>
>>2357003
Does carrying a umbrella but no rain jacket working for you? What kind of weather are you hiking in?
>>
>>2357003
If you never went without a stove you should really try it. It dropped the stove and never looked back.
>>
>>2357059
Sorry for the grammar lads
>>
Whats a good lightweight 2 person tent?
Didnt want to shit up the board by creating another thread about it.
Just something to keep rain and bugs out.
>>
>>2357065
The MSR Hubba Hubba is sturdy but somewhat heavy, I like it.
>>
>>2357059
On this trip the rain was a very small amount on Saturday, with temps hovering around 80. Sunday was supposed to see more rain, but still nothing major. It works quite well in those conditions. If it had been cooler, and still a light rain, I would have paired the umbrella with a light jacket (an arctyrex squamish). If it’s really going to storm I bring a poncho.

A few pros of the umbrella:
>spf 50
>heat reflective
>blocks peoples view of you shitting
>keeps spider webs out of your face
>can catch a breeze and direct it toward you, sometimes
>in some conditions it’s the best rain solution
>>
>>2357065
Bro just jump right in and get a Dan Durston X-Mid. The 1 person is large enough for 1 person (the vestibules are huge).
>>
I have to have my
tools
>>
>>2357003
Looks pretty light
>>
>>2357136
13.8 pounds. It’s a pretty good balance of weight and comfort. The pole mod is about 8 ounces and isn’t really needed, but it adds a lot of breathability in porch mode and wind stability in another configuration. Plus I’m re-reading Around the World in 80 Days and books are surprisingly heavy.
>>
>>2357105
Tools of a larping faggot.
>>
>>2357188
Thats pretty gucci my dude. Do you carry a battery bank or keep it short and keep your phone off? How do you like the Exos 48?
>>
>>2357250
My phone battery lasts a solid 4 days in airplane mode, maybe longer. I don’t track my hikes or anything like that. I do use a GPS app for quick referencing, and turn my phone off at night.

The Exos is one of the best packs ever made. The suspension system keeps the pack away from the wearer, creating a gap between his back and the pack. This allows a lot of airflow, keeping his back dry. And the elastic mesh reduces pressure points. Osprey uses a similar system on all of their flagship packs, while Gregory, Z-Packs, Mountain Gear, and at least one other company have similar systems. The Exos also has a streamlined design, with no extraneous pockets and a removable brain. It’s one of those rare middle ground packs between ultralight and more traditional, fully featured ones. They fucked it up after the model in the pic, removing the hip belt and shoulder pockets, and thinning some of the padding. It was a poor trade off of comfort and usability for weight. The 2022 model has hip belt pockets again (mine is from 2014, and has well over 1,500 miles on it).
>>
>>2357065
I recently bought a MH Aspect 2 to replace my old worn north face stormbreak 2. The NF isn’t out of commission but the new one is 2 pounds lighter though gun to my head I couldn’t tell the difference. Also the new one has attached poles which makes it slightly harder to set up.
>>
>>2357243
You sound like you need a procedure.
>>
>>2357105
How do you store the kidneys?
>>
>>2357101
>temps hovering around 80
Why even bother then? Wear clothes that dry out quickly and let yourself get wet when it rains.
>>
>>2357433
That’s a valid option too, but most people are more comfortable when they’re dry.
>>
>>2357433
The sun bro. Not op, just another hikefag. I've never carried an umbrella for rain. I mostly use them for road sections in full sun
>>
>>2357290
Bad ass. Thanks for the input. I've been dragging an osprey aether 70 minus brain around for a couple years. Every time I reseach lighter packs I end up at the exo's. I go back and forth on 48L vs 58L as my adventures range from casual overnighters with buddies to packing for 5-6 days between resupply points.
>>
>>2357359
That procedure is you tongue punching my fart box. Now lick my asshole you larping queer.
>>
File: wefwefew.jpg (259 KB, 1198x1055)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>2357427
If they are dry, in a bag like rice- if wet, in a tin.
The way I see it, when you cook you have to get it wet anyway and my climate doesn't have enough local water to rely on.
>>2357617
Are you okay, projection bot ?
>>
You guys have really nice kits.
I'm too autistic/stupid to get a good tent, so I just use a tarp and make an A tent with bankline and lay on the dirt while wearing a poncho.
Had heavy rain one night and it was a miserable experience, so I upgraded to carrying a net hammock as well, to just get me ever so slightly off the ground(gotta keep a low profile for tacticool larp). Still need to upgrade and get a compass as well, but I'm undecided on what is worth buying. My longest camping trip was a a one way hike that took three days, and I called my buddy to pick me up on the other side of the state forest. Used sunrise/set to head in the right direction.
>>
>>2357837
Don't talk negative about yourself; using a tarp set up requires more thinking than setting up a self-contained tent. If you want a good tent, they aren't all cheap 15$ or pricy 200+$; you can get good surplus stuff in-between. I have a french F1 tent for 40$ and a british mesh tent for about the same
>>
>>2357844
Thanks for the support man, I appreciate it. Those F1 tents look like they're not too hard to set up... might be worth it to keep water out, since its tricky to find a good spot for a tarp A tent + hammock. I like bankline since it doubles for tent building and not just catfish, but sometimes too much gets used to set up camp.
>>
>>2357014
Are you so world traveled that every trip you take is in a different climate? You’re not like most people, who hike and camp fairly close to home because it’s convenient?
>>
File: photo1651532808.jpg (188 KB, 1280x577)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>2357003
this is what i carry if i need to go for a many days trip
>>
>>2358070
tiny hatchet is redundant just use the knife to split and chop its the same size, oh wait kabar you cant cause you'll bend the handle,
axe handle should be as long as your arm or its inefficient and the recoil wears down your hands
that saw is so shot it can only cut things that are small enough for you to snap anyway a silky big boy would let you process much larger wood so you can have logs for an all night fire
a long axe, short full tang knife and long saw covers all the bases
why have a head torch and a hand torch, if you really have to point light at something without looking at it just hold the head torch in your hands but you cant wear a hand torch on your head so its objectively inferior
>>
>>2358070
Not a bad start my dude. Couple things that jump out at me. Your carrying glass jars of spices? Ziplocks. If that's liquor in the flask by a plastic pint, weighs less. Big knife, saw, and axle are memes unless your woodworking. Drop the 3 big bowls on the left. You can cook and eat everything in that tiny pot.

Most important go /out/ and use it. Keep refining
>>
File: DSC_3142.jpg (3.74 MB, 5333x3000)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
>>2357003
my poorfag kit
My compass, parka, and medkit are missing from the photo because they were in my lbv. I normally use smart water bottles i pick up at a gas station for water storage.
Base weight is 17 pounds, the rifle adds another ten pounds. When im going to a more normie spot i just bring a pistol that adds only 2 pounds. Most of my hikes are three day weekends because of work.
>>2357837
ive been using a naturehike cloud 2 for 4 years now and have been surprised how well it has held up in bad storms. It is some chinese budget brand but i would recommend it. my compass is a cammenga, they are a bit bulky and heavy but it has never failed me in the 10 years and thousands of miles ive carried it.
>>
>>2358125
Dont know what you need a medkit for, Rhodesians never die
>>
>>2358114
Ka bars have shitty tangs, chances of it snapping is high.
>>
>>2358139
you didn't even finish reading the line
>>
>>2358143
Wasn't going to.
>>
>>2357003
>make a fun thread about complete gear loads and encourage others to post theirs
>knife fags shit it up
I hope you cut yourself
>>
File: 2022-05-03_14-26-32.png (504 KB, 1761x1307)
504 KB
504 KB PNG
>>2358168
>gives me free unlimited tinder
seethe no-knifelet
>>
File: PicsArt_11-21-01.13.02.jpg (937 KB, 2000x1125)
937 KB
937 KB JPG
>>2358138
But they do get blisters and headaches sometimes.
>>
>>2358168
>anon makes decent thread
>others fuck it up
>your ass gets salty over it and blames op
Fuck off you stupid faggot.
>>
>>2358204
>loadout thread
>discussing items in loadouts which include knives
>fucking up the thread
>>
>>2358206
Bitch more you sissy Lala.
>>
>>2358114
i bring the hatchet to do some hatchet trowing in the weeds.
the second torch is usually for my friend, he does not have one
>>
File: 20220424_173008.jpg (2.06 MB, 4624x2084)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>2358309
Pic related
>>
>>2358123
yea those are glass jars, sugar, pepper/erbs, umami, honey and oil, i was scared of the oil one breaking and messing up my bag so i went with tough glass, they also fit perfectly in my green box, along with tea and a few bags of pepper.
the flask is just to be a larping faggot, but i like the design, i usually carry it in my inside pocket with the sigars, so no bag space occupied.
the pot is one liter, it s often not enough for what i prepare, i usually go for a can of beams with 200g of chicken+half an onion,so i need at least a 1.5 liters pot just for all that alone, the 2 one is perfect to avoid spills
>>
>>2358309
based as long as the trees are dead already
>>2358326
carry the cooking oil in the flask. glass is heavy
>>
>>2358125
why chop the toothbrush so small? especially where its in a bag with a big deodorant stick and toothpaste bottle?
>>
>>2358338
He fell for a meme. The whole “cut down toothbrush” thing started in the 90’s when ultralight backpacking became popular. Backpacks were becoming streamlined; we started seeing less compartmentalization and fewer pockets in general. As such, smaller items had to be consolidated into diddy bags (a phrase that now seems antiquated). Since space is limited with an ultralight setup, and just because it makes more sense to have a smaller bag than an empty one, toothbrush handles were cut down so they could fit into a particular bag. It was never about saving weight, though a lot of people simple assumed it was.
>>
>>2358390
>The whole “cut down toothbrush” thing started in the 90’s
Here's a quote from Colin Fletcher's 1968 book "The Complete Walker".
"Oh, he's a genuine backpacker all right. He's got a filed-down toothbrush!"
Everything old is new again.
>>
>>2358418
That line is from The Complete Walker IV, published in 2002.
>>
>>2358430
Nope.
I mean, it's in that edition, since it's in the original, but my copy was printed in 1972 directly from the 1968 edition.
>>
>>2358390
Yeah I've seen that in some ultralight load outs like Andrew Skurka but even they didn't file it down so much
>>
File: 517rs0sfSmL._SL1001_.jpg (49 KB, 1001x1001)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>2358338
Its actually a toothbrush head for my electric toothbrush
>>
>>2357003
>hey guys post your load outs
>only 4 load out pictures
LARP status of /out/ confirmed
>>
Not a pad question but hopefully someone can help here

I’m looking to get a new sleeping bag.
The only option for the one I want is the “long version” I’m only 5’10 so I don’t need the long version. Will getting a sleeping bag that’s too big for me cause any issues?
>>
>>2358525
Nah. Stuff your clothes down at the bottom and then they'll be somewhat warm when you put them on in the morning.
>>
>>2358527
Thanks fren. It’s only an extra 3oz and it’s actually in stock so I’m going. With that over my old and heavy north face bag
>>
>>2358514
Never took a photo of my loadout and am too lazy to put it together just for a pic.
>>
File: 1633650211479.jpg (570 KB, 1134x1512)
570 KB
570 KB JPG
>>2357003
>>
>>2358748
other than cringe glasses and book, nice set-up
you should get a handguard for that Kalash tho
>>
>>2358762
>he doesn't like the croagies
nigger detected
>>
>>2358766
speak English
>>
>>2357003
Maybe 5 years ago I noticed a trend in these gear load out photos. People started inserting themselves into the photos, lying on their pad. It’s become endemic; the gear selfie is now the norm. It’s men and women doing it, and I cringe every time I see it.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (203 KB, 1280x720)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
What do you gear queers think of those knife bag loadouts. Besides your tarp and and poncho, the rest of your gear is all in a small pack on your knife sheath.
Can't think of anything more lightweight than that. Considering trying it when the weather warms up some more, along with foot wraps, rather than socks, for ease of drying.
>>
>>2358778
>no one has done this in the thread
>I need to MAKE a problem
>>2358788
What I think is you take your 'gear queer' gay shit to /k/
>>
>>2358790
>What I think is you take your 'gear queer' gay shit to /k/
oh, I actually thought this was a /k/ thread, not gonna lie. I have other tabs open.
>>
>>2358791
Nice
yeah they have a /gq/ thread and its awful
>>
File: PicsArt_01-03-12.46.49.jpg (2.2 MB, 2969x2969)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
>>2358791
Dont worry too much anon, I do the same thing sometimes. Nice zoompap, you got any hiking gear? If not you should definitely get some and start going /out/ it really compliments the hobby.
>>
>>2358802
oh thats not my picture, its just some shit off google.
>hiking gear
I have a small cheap tent and a mat to lay on. I've been reading up a bit on this board to get an idea of what is useful for camping though.
>>
>>2358827
What type of hiking or camping do you plan on doing? I can give some poorfag suggestions.
>>
>>2358788
>besides your tarp and poncho
And cook kit and quilt and sleep clothes and ground pad and head lamp and maps and toiletries water treatment

If you’re not going far, you don’t need anything light. If everything fits in your knife sheath it’s because you’re not going very far.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (14 KB, 194x259)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>2358827
a pot that can hang and a bic lighter is probably the cheapest cook system, sticks that are small enough to pull off by hand is all you need and dry leaves as tinder to start it all free
>>
>>2358841
overnight fishing trip in New England state forests, mostly Maine. I would like to head into vermont as well, and spend more than a few days to not waste my time of course.

>>2358846
True. I'll have to sit down and actually measure out what a trip would be before I start putting something together.
>>
>>2358850
Have you ever read "Big Two-Hearted River" by Hemingway?
It's not a treatise on backpacking or even fishing or anything in particular, but it does paint a picture of the kind of trip you're planning.
>>
>>2358849
Pay a few more dollars and you can put together the one I posted in the OP. The stove isn’t just cheap, it’s super light, silent, and has not moving parts.
>fancy feast stove (it’s a cat food fan with holes punched in it), $1
>a windscreen from old soda cans, free
>Imusa 1.25 quart (12cm wide) aluminum mug, $7
>mug lid, $8
I also used some high temp rtv to attach the stove to a large tin can lid as a base and priming pan. I also wrapped the stove in fiberglass rope for priming, and used the same rope on the mug handle for insulation. But really the pan and rope aren’t needed, and a bandana can insulate the handle.
>>
>>2358125
>rhodie baby shit camo FAL
a man of culture i see
>>
>>2358125
Are you actually in central africa or is this just larp? no hate just genuinely curious
>>
>>2359010
Lol.q
>>
>>2359010
Larp, covid ruined my first trip to South Africa.
>>
>>2358849
Cans are lined with plastic. Enjoy your cancer soup.
>>
File: Room Camp 2-22-04-19 ER.jpg (729 KB, 2064x1548)
729 KB
729 KB JPG
>>2358778
Ironic coming from a phoneposter
>>
File: 3085a.jpg (203 KB, 770x800)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>2357046
Nice bivy, just ordered pic.
Do you bring a tarp or poncho tarp as well?
>shemagh
My nigger
>>
>>2358338
Maybe tooth brushes shouldn't be so long in the first place
>>
>>2360160
Old woodland bivys are the shit. Fucking love mine; gonna pair it with a woobie as a lightweight sleep system.
>>
File: 1647476614690.jpg (198 KB, 1390x1080)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>2360194
I got absurdly lucky with this one, they were out of stock seemingly everywhere even Varusteleka, then one pops up for $20 on Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). It's a real Tennier Industries one too.
>gonna pair it with a woobie as a lightweight sleep system.
Hell yeah. I've got to get one those.
>>
>>2360199
Checked and envious, 20 is a steal.
>>
>>2360160
>He didn’t get the Dutch hooped bivy instead.
It’s a little more expensive but if you can find the one made by Carinthia it’s the same one they sell for $900 but military surplus. Has a bug net and enough room to actually breathe.
>>
File: swag-camp.jpg (377 KB, 1000x750)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
>>2360364
I know the one you're talking about, but I didn't want that one. I wanted a literal bivy "sack".
No poles, and I don't plan on ever actually putting the top part up over my face. It's just for making my sleeping bag water proof under a tarp. Even if it was over my face it wouldn't bother me as most of the time I lay on my stomach.
What I really wanted was pic, but they're very expensive.
I should mention I'm a motocamper.
>>
File: DSC_0017 rs.jpg (514 KB, 2064x1548)
514 KB
514 KB JPG
Heh, it just came in the mail.
This thing is so cozy, there's a light smell of mildew, but it's super clean. Hoepfully the guy didn't wash it in a washing machine or something.
I can't wait to try this thing out in the field.
>>
>>2360411
Ah, I got you. I wish I could use something like that but the bugs are killer up here in the PNW.
>>
File: 2021-06-27 20.52.31.jpg (1019 KB, 1652x1239)
1019 KB
1019 KB JPG
>>2360580
I've gotten over my fear of spiders by forcing myself to pick them up and play with them, almost passed out a few times.
Mosquitoes are cunts, but that's what headnets are for.
If It's really bad I just bring my tent instead.
>>
>>2360531
if it isnt winter where you are bring something to block the bugs off your face and out of your bag
>>
File: MSS Bivy Mods.jpg (215 KB, 1598x824)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>2360612
Pic is another option.
Sew in a net
>>
>>2358788
What the hell can you even fit in there? Seems gay
>>
>>2358125
Oh brother it's illegal to own the L1A1 SLR in my country but it's my favourite gun of all time.
>>
>>2360590
>picking spiders up
Come to Australia and try it
>>
>>2362328
Pass, though MadMax makes a convincing argument.
>>
>>2362328
>Come to Australia
No thanks, I'm a felon.
>>
>>2362417
Then you'll fit right in.
>>
>>2362420
Nah, you guys are to upstanding now. I'd stick out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>2357046
what pack?
>>
File: pissbottle.png (1.24 MB, 828x621)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>2357003

Why are you prefilling your pissbottle, OP?
>>
>>2362527
It’s two strips of yellow electrical tape used to measure water for cooking. The bottom one 1/3 cut and the top is 1/2.
>>
>>2362530
why not a measuring cup?
>>
>>2362523
sso adler
>>
>>2362559
Because electrical tape doesn’t weight anything or take up any space.
>>
>>2357065
Sea to Summit Alto or Telo
>>
>>2357882
California is a place where that’s possible.

I’m 3 hours from the lower, hotter coastal ranges, the nice, cool coastal range, and the high Sierra.

It’s not feasible to get that much shit tho. Also, not that guy.
>>
>>2362328
Wait, Australia can't even effectively kill rabbits. I've seen rabbits die from fright. How dangerous could it be?
>>
>>2357046
why a traditional bivy like that (not a ‘bug bivy’ or ‘wind bivy’ which I understand the point of). These just seem like miserably condensation traps, I’d hate to be under this in the rain. And they’re heavy.

Guess what I’m asking is, why not a tarp and a better quilt?
>>
>>2357061
this has been working for me so far, even in the snow. It’s not really the warm food that warms you up, it’s the digestion etc. was glad I left mine last time even though the snow was thigh deep at the peak
>>
>>2360580
not this time of year?
>>
>>2358778
To the contrary, I wish more people would post pictures of two people sitting up in 2p shelters. two empty pads doesn’t tell me enough.
>>
>>2362891
its gore-tex its waterproof and breathable thares barely any condensation I've slept in in in the rain and was fine and its only 500g, and the bag is -30c rated no quilt is better than that
>>
File: dbt anons 1647144830283.jpg (1.35 MB, 2592x1944)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB JPG
>>2362891
Tarp + bivy is peak
You may not use them both every time, but you will use them both all the time.
>why not a tarp and a better quilt?
You'd still want something to protect you sleeping bag from wet and wind. At least where I am.
>>
>>2359010
>no hate
fag
>>
>>2363253
I use a tarp, quilt and bug net draped over my head. My tarp is large enough (8x10) that getting wet hasn't been a problem if I pitch responsibly, and of course it blocks the wind too. A bivy is so heavy that you may as well just bring a double walled tent at that point imo. I might buy a 'wind bivy' so I can cowboy camp in on windy rainless nights, but that's still a totally different shelter than a traditional bivy like anon posted. I just don't see the point from a weight + utility perspective.

>>2362916
You slept in the rain with no tarp?
>>
>>2363253
so to be clear, when no rain or crazy wind I just sleep on my pad with a bugnet, no bivy. i don't really see the point. if it's raining or windy, that's why i brought the tarp. what the tarp can't do is stop bugs, so i bring something if i expect bugs.

this doesn't apply to crazy -30f scenarios which afaik the bivy was invented for. but for fair-ish weather 4 season backpacking in the PNW for me.
>>
oh, another case where the bivy makes sense, and i think this was actually the original use case, is for sleeping when pitching a tent is just impossible. like on a cliff / pure rock terrain or extreme snow. aside from that i don't really get it.
>>
>>2363253
>Tarp + bivy is peak
they also infringe on the open nature of the tarp. benefit of a tarp is huge dry living space, by stuffing yourself in a bivy you're missing out imo. anyway that's all. interested in why you'd continue to use one. i'm going to get a 'wind bivy' (7.8oz) since it's worth the weight for the option to sleep without a tarp in windy areas, but aside from bug/wind bivies (which are really just bathtubs with some zip up netting, not real bivies) i don't get it.
>>
This is the kind of thing I'm thinking about getting. Blocks wind and bugs so you can tarpless more often. It's called a 'bivy' but it's not at all like a traditional bivy that anon posted, which is more like a GoreTex sack. It weighs 7.2oz.
>>
>>2363299
yes the bivvy is goretex so its waterproof
>>
>>2363326
and no condensation issues? is your quilt down?
>>
>>2363327
no issues and its a -30c down full bag
the bivvy also keeps the mats under you not slipping around
>>
>>2363310
HMG comes pretty close to solving this (but it’s a pyramid shelter, and $305 just for the bug net). Imagine a bug net shaped like this but designed for a tarp in an a-frame configuration.
>>
>>2357065
X-Mid 2p in Silpoly
>>
File: N10xq-m4c_mid.jpg (482 KB, 1440x1080)
482 KB
482 KB JPG
>>2363358
that's not the kind of bivy I'm talking about. that's a 'net tent' or 'bug bivy', and for reason a bug bivy is not at all like a normal bivy or bivy sack. I'm talking about these kind of bivies: >>2357046. i think pic rel is a pretty cool set up with tarp and bug bivy though.

>>2363331
what sort of conditions? i've always heard condensation is terrible in them
>>
for *some* reason
>>
>>2363317
How tall is it? Most trekking pole setups have a peak height just under 50”, and if that’s what they’re using in this setup, then it’s incredible small (can’t sit up in it, like the MLD in this pic).
>>
>>2363365
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/bivy-sack/outdoor-research-alpine-bivy
>>
File: 4J-wGJcWn_mid.jpg (413 KB, 1440x810)
413 KB
413 KB JPG
>>2363368
it is like the one in your picture. they make another you can sit up in (pic rel). they also make just a hanging net which cinches around around your sleeping pad/bag, it's only about 2-3ft long and weighs 2.5oz. i got one coming in the mail i wanna try.
>>
>>2363369
>https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/bivy-sack/outdoor-research-alpine-bivy
why did you post this
>>
>>2363368
and being smaller sn't necassarily bad, it saves weight. though if i were to buy one i'd buy the one i could sit up in, may as well.
>>
>>2363365
condensation is not a problem you just open the zipper infront of you face and you blow it all out, the rest goes through the Gore-Tex
>>2363372
it has pictures of it in many conditions
>>
>>2363380
aside from costs, is there a reason/situation that you'd prefer this over say a zpacks duplex? the weights are basically equal, just wondering
>>
zpacks duplex or a tarp and bug bivy i should say
>>
>>2363382
no pegging needed
>>
>>2363401
you mean hiking sticks or stakes?
>>
>>2363404
neither, non-freestanding tents are limited to dirt only , freestanding and bivvys can be set anywhere with enough space
>>
>>2363421
do you hike in areas where this comes in handy?
>>
>>2363436
bruh honestly, I wouldn't have bought if if I didn't, I had a tent and was constantly annoyed at rocks stopping my pegs going in so I got something you can plop down anywhere with no setup and be weatherproof to sleep
its not some gimmick it works and it works well
>>
>>2362846
That virus escaped from the CSIRO lab before it was finished being developed, the spiders here are murderous little bastards.
>>
>>2358125
mad jelly of that FAL
>>
File: IMG_3735-1080x675.jpg (113 KB, 1080x675)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>2363299
>bivy is so heavy that you may as well just bring a double walled tent at that point imo
You don't have to say "imo". And for me at least, I don't care about weight, space is more important than weight.
>>2363310
>they also infringe on the open nature of the tarp
>by stuffing yourself in a bivy you're missing out imo
A bivy sack doesn't take away from it anymore than a sleeping bag does. It's literally just a protective sack for your sleeping bag.
>interested in why you'd continue to use one.
Because if I stop on the side of the road I can roll it out and sleep, it's that easy.
If I have some more time I can set up my tarp and have a nice little camp.

It's just about versatility. When I go out camping, I travel from prairies to forests, to mountains. It's nice to have different options. I was thinking of bringing a hammock along with my tarp and bivy. All 3.
>>
>>2363310
>>2363317
Ah you're one of those weight weenies eh. That makes sense.
>>2363358
>and $305 just for the bug net
There's plenty of cheaper clones
>Imagine a bug net shaped like this but designed for a tarp in an a-frame configuration.
That exists I'm sure.
>>2363365
>what sort of conditions? i've always heard condensation is terrible in them
This is too general a statement. Bivy's are made out of everything from trash bags, to Tyvek, to Goretex.
>>2363401
Tell that to my mesugaki demon loli wife
>>
>>2357003
>plastic
>>
>>2357480
I'm from phoenix and that shit is gay. I just wear linen everything and a cowboy hat
>>
>>2358070
What's with all the nogunz
>>
>>2363421
Nah, just gotta get creative with rocks and such. I find the tarp better for this since I have more flexibility in guyline placement. For what it's worth the other poster, I use a lightweight bivy as well and a large tarp. I only really sleep in the bivy so the fact it is restrictive doesn't really come into play.
>>
>>2363446
>You don't have to say "imo"
it is my opinion so it's an appropriate qualifier, i used it to express that i'm interested in your opinion and not at all attempting to speak objectively. i don't own a bivy so idk, but i struggle to see when i'd elect to bring one, which makes me feel that either a large portion of the world is wrong (unlikely) or i have some sort of unique insight into tarps (extremely unlikely), so i continue to inquire but aim to do so politely so i can learn. i think it's probably just preference honestly, but anyway:

>And for me at least, I don't care about weight, space is more important than weight.
Yes you do care about weight, you can't carry a thousand pounds on your back. every ounce/lb gained means more work to move it (work = force * distance). you are limited in the work you can do every unit of time, so something the requires substantially more work to carry should be justified (le imo).

>A bivy sack doesn't take away from it anymore than a sleeping bag does. It's literally just a protective sack for your sleeping bag.
given the picture you've provided, it seems it does indeed. that looks miserable. a bivy sack is a skin for your sleeping bag to provide wind / weather protection, a flat tarp objectively provides much more sq footage while doing this, and is much lighter - this is why i don't get it, it seems redundant and exceedingly heavy.

>Because if I stop on the side of the road I can roll it out and sleep, it's that easy.
is it worth the weight though? it only takes 5 min max to pitch a tarp, and you get a palace as a result while saving a pound.

i appreciate the engagement and im happy a bivy works for you, but i still struggle to see how you wouldn't be happier with just a tarp and bug net, and saving a pound. obviously to each their and i don't mean to condescend, just don't really get it, never have, and am expressing why.
>>
>>2363446
in retrospect i reread your last line and think i get it. if you're just looking for fun carrying multiple shelters, I get it. I've just struggled to get why tarp + bivy sack is popular. if it's raining, you pitch the tarp, if it's not, you cowboy camp, simple as imo. i would personally hate to be in the rain with only a bivy, seems packing up would be miserable and my gear would be soaking wet.

>>2363452
>weight weenies
what do you mean? i just aim maximize overall comfort while /out/; personally most of my day is hiking, followed by sleeping, so i prioritize comfort for those two things. if car camping it's a different story of course, but, as this is a backpacking thread, when hiking i don't see how a bivy adds anything here; it makes both cowboy camping and sleeping under a tarp objectively worse. i only see a bivy being the move when it'd be impossible to pitch a tarp or tent effectively, and i don't hike in such scenarios personally.

in other words, it doesn't seem a bivy is useful if optimizing for hiking or sleeping/camping comfort, so I'm unsure of it's place. the mesh house you've posted is not a traditional bivy, btw. i totally see the point in carrying that and a tarp.
>>
just curious since you called me a weight weenie, what are you optimizing for exactly? even if a bivy were as light as my tarp, i wouldn't bring it; it mitigates the benefits of tarp camping. i just can't see any optimization framework where a bivy makes sense. if pitching in a rocky area, tie onto rocks, and if pitching in snow do deadman's anchors. for me, both of those situation are rare, and dire, and if i expected either i'd much prefer my freestanding tent.
>>
File: 1651124198708.png (114 KB, 400x300)
114 KB
114 KB PNG
>>2358070
Nice sleeping bag.
I also like your raggedy Ann loli wig.
>>
>>2363358
yeah there are tons of bug nets like that buddy, that's kind of the norm actually.
>>
>>2358172
>knifelet
iT's MiNiMaLiSm
>>
>>2358070
>this is what i carry if i need to go for a many days trip
i'm sorry
>>
>>2363740
Holy time bahman. Not your bivy guy but I think you're really reaching on the bivy being miserable. For most nights its just a draft, dew/mist guard and no more noticeable than the sleeping bag. Secondly it does help with drafts and splashes under the tarp **imo**. I have pitched my tarp to the ground in wind and the random strange gust that found its way to the open side was not an issue. I would feel comfortable with a relatively small tarp and bivy versus small tarp alone. Plus It does help keep all your shit together in the meantime.
>>
File: 1651461924976.jpg (55 KB, 625x351)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>2363740
>>2363746
Write a fucking essay why don't you, sperg
>>
>>2363740
>Yes you do care about weight, you can't carry a thousand pounds on your back
I don't carry it on my back.
>that looks miserable
We get it, you're a pussy.
It's not like every military uses them or has used them or anything.
>obviously to each their and i don't mean to condescend, just don't really get it, never have, and am expressing why.
You could not sound any more like a weight weenie bitchboy
>>
File: 1651757722763.jpg (20 KB, 474x475)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>2363759
>just curious since you called me a weight weenie
Absolutely seething lmao
>>
>>2363996
>heavier and less comfortable / spacious is good
>ur just not strong like me!

>>2363992
>>2364000
cope

>>2363904
well I've never tried one but maybe they're not so bad, just read a lot about down soaking through due to condensation,or people ending up warmer without a bivy due to less condensation. they just end up being super heavy so other shelters start to compete with it at a certain weight.
>>
>>2363904
and in what way was i reaching?
>>
File: 1652257493551.jpg (35 KB, 336x440)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>couldn't find this thread because OP wrote "load out" separately
>>
>>2364765
Op's a phoneposter, you can only expect so much
I'm using this as the gearfag thread as well.
>>
>>2364765
same
>>
File: Not Mine.jpg (116 KB, 655x437)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
What happened to all my NEET /out/ists?
>>
>>2364800
>he doesn't go innawoods and shitpost from his phone
>he's instead inside posting on his PC
Pathetic.
>>
>>2367199
They either got real gear or realized how retarded they were.
>>
>>2363371
What is this one called?
>>
>>2367372
Cirriform from Yama Mountain Gear. I haven’t seen in it in person but I like it, might grab one.
>>
>>2357003
>unironically an umbrella

LMFAO WHAT A FUCKING FAGGOT
>>
>>2357617
Oooh, got some of that edgy South Park humour! So fresh!
>>
>>2367199
>cotton norwegian ruckpack
very nice
>>
>>2367414
I had a four mile road walk that Saturday with no clouds and temps in the mid 80’s, and it rained on Sunday with temps in the 70’s. The umbrella worked out great, just like it always has.

Also post a pic of your stuff.
>>
>>2367254
kys nufag
>>
>>2367199
Hey it's all you really need
>>
Is this the rucking thread?
>>
>>2368093
>rucking
No.
>>
>>2368093
Yes, I don't care if you're a /k/ refugee.
Just post some stuff.
>>
>>2367199
I remember reading pic rel's blog when I was really getting into bushcraft/camping
>>
>>
So I have some marine canvas and a wool blanket. If I want to larp as a cowboy and just use them as a bedroll, how fucked am I going to be from not having ground insulation? What if I include a Ranger blanket between the canvas and blanket?
>>
>father left me when i was 1
>both grandpas passed away not long after
>never had a male role model in the family
>been trying to get into hiking, fishing, hunting but nobody to teach me
>bought some store recommended hiking gear but shoes are uncomfy, trousers' textile is bothering my skin, socks make me sweat, backpack moves around too much
>been hiking a few times on easy trails but everytime i go i get blisters and can't move for days
>visit /out/ regularly but afraid to even ask questions because i'd just be blasted out
it's just over
>>
>>2372112
what footwear do you use? and what socks?
>>
>>2372113
merrel crosslander and some quechua socks
i'm not rich, store owner said they were good
he had a mustache and all so i believed him

ive been walking at nights too in the shoes perhaps it needs mileage but that didn't make it any softer
>>
>>2372115
did you, like, just get them when you went hiking?
I wear merrels often for daily shoes and they are nicer on the heel than boots I have
are they laced snug? is there movement inside the shoe when you walk
>>
File: satan.png (415 KB, 709x550)
415 KB
415 KB PNG
>>2372118
well i went hiking first but had a suspicion it would give me blisters so i brought some spare shoes but ultimately i had to turn around because i was already heavily injured and the spare shoes were very light and slim so i could feel every piece of branch, rock etc, felt like i was walking barefoot

after that i started using the hiking shoes regularly, i think i walked about 200km in it so far at nights
then i went on a trail again and same thing happened

regarding movement, not so much, perhaps a bit at the back but it feels like a perfect fit, perhaps it should be a bit larger? don't know it's too late now anyways
pic related, that's the exact type
>>
>>2372107
Why not just use a piece of foam? Either that or a sack stuffed with hay or something.
>>
For week long 3 season trips my essentials are:
>deuter aircontact 75 + 10
I never carry that much stuff but it's nice to not have to compress my stuff and play titres packing everything.

>MSR Pocket Rocket delux
>Toaks 900 ml pot
>GSI mug
>GSI spork
>Ursak Major 20L Bag
>Katyden Befree filter and CNOC bag with backup
>2 liter Nalgene bottle
>Hyke and Byke 15 degree bag
>Sea To summit air pad
>Big Agnes Copper Spurr 1 person tent
>Toiletries and poop shovel
>A Lighter
>Black Dimond Head lamp
>Pocket knife
>A change of cloths, rain jacket and a pullover
>A Pair of CROCS
>A Pistol
>Map and compass
>Small First Aid kit
>Cellphone with Gaia GPS app
>Small portable battery

Depending on mileage, landscape and local wildlife, sometimes I'll carry a camp chair, Bear spray, Bear canister, Garmin InReach, fishing tackle. a small tarp, a regular flashlight or a camp chair.
Base weight (without food and water) usually hovers right 24-28 pounds.
>>
>>2363253
Enjoy getting crushed by your bike.
>>
>>2373104
I'll be fine, I'm use to your mom riding me.
>>
>>2368161
>/k/ refugee
/k/ is the father to /out/ while /an/ being the mother. It was so nice when /out/ finally got it's own board, all the retarded threads got mostly contained here. Threads barely lasted long on /k/, so the same thread was created like every other day cause old one 404 to quick.
>>
>>2373099
Seems like a nice and simple setup. I gotta start bringing less shit, but the shtf larp mindset has infected me: ccf pad to put under inflatable, firesteel, cordage, backup knife etc
>>
>>2373104
Hasn't happened yet. Kickstand plates are $10, crushed beer cans are free.
>>
>>2373470
That's one thing that has completely baffled me about my "new" Transalp. Why would a dual sport get a 1x1" kick stand foot??
>>
>>2373470
>spending that much on a multicam tarp
>it doesnt even blend into the area
a very asian choice, sir
>>
>>2373473
Where the fuck are you seeing anything than a generic OD Green?
>>
>>2373475
inside the tent, mate, on the ground there
the hint is when I said tarp
>>
File: Tactical Bivy.jpg (82 KB, 1000x1000)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
It's annoying how fast /out/ has gotten
>>2373472
So they can make you buy a $30 anodized aluminum foot kek. I think Suzuki did something like that with one of the New V-stroms.
>>2373473
Read the filename for the bike pic retard. It's not mine, though I do use the same setup.
Your argument doesn't even make sense because if you're travelling like that anon you're never going to have a tarp that matches wherever you setup camp.
>>
>>2373476
You're looking THAT hard to find something to bitch about??
>>
>>2373482
I bought a '89 Honda, if they think i'm spending more than the cost of fork seals and an oil change, they're crazy. Rocks are everywhere.
>>
>>2373482
>read the filename
okay:
>57009242_1020576158136815.jpg
>you're never going to have a tarp that matches wherever you setup camp.
Missing the point- in fact, that's what I was saying. You spend extra on an autistic camo- and it doesnt even work- why not just use khaki or blue
>>2373483
I spotted it immediately. Soory I don't have eye problems, like you
>>
File: 0741_2.png (1.18 MB, 1024x1024)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
>>2373472
>>2373473
>>2373475
>>2373476
And why aren't you posting images, this is an imageboard. You aren't phoneniggers are you ?
>>2373486
I JB welded some soup can lids together, works like a charm.
>>2373488
Holy fucking retard. Your reading comprehension is shit. Read my post again you autistic camotard.
>>
>>2373495
No, i'm just drunk and/or retarded.
>>
>>2373495
>And why aren't you (two different people) posting images?
I posted two pictures in this thread day one.
>My reading comprehension is shit, and I can't be straight forward with what I mean.
>Interpret my stupid post correctly !
What's your point? That it isnt your pic? Irrelevant. That the pattern will rarely match? Already answered that
Calm down and type slowly
>>
>>2373488
>You spend extra on an autistic camo
You have no idea if he even payed for that, maybe it was on sale for half off, maybe he was borrowing it.
I don't know why you're so obsessed over this little retarded detail.
Maybe he just thought it looked cool?
>>
>>2373501
>You have no idea if he even payed for that
Payed? You mean paid?
And true multicam very rarely sells for the same price or less;
>maybe it was on sale for half off
Yes, it would have to be for it to not be more.
>I don't know why you're so obsessed over this little retarded detail.
I'm not the one who responded to my joke
several times
don't be deflecting now
>Maybe he just thought it looked cool?
Sure. Doesn't match tho
would look cooler if it either matched or contrasted, not half-ass so
>>
>>2373504
>2373504
He's not hiding from his gangstalkers, you fucking sperg.
>>
File: 1645726542128.png (77 KB, 236x233)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
>>2373504
>hurr durr durr
Go back to jacking off in your ghillie suit sperg
>>
File: klmk.png (1.8 MB, 915x1079)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB PNG
>>2373506
>>2373512
>our best responses
>I also bring a tube of chips with my ghille suit by the way
Heh. Maybe next time you'll learn how to camp aesthetically
>>
>>2373534
Nah , i don't do activities for the approval of others.
>>
>>2373535
You answer questions on 4chan for others.
>>
>>2373538
I shitpost for the love of the act.
>>
>>2373539
>just proved me right
didn't ya ?
Move on, man
>>
>>2373544
no
>>
>>2373534
Go back to /k/ faggot
>>
>>2357046
Just got a good discount on that bivy, waiting for it in the mail
>>
File: erfre.jpg (261 KB, 1200x1600)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
>>2373545
See >>2373538
and >>2373544

>>2373546
nah, I don't care about ukraine-posting
/k/ in 2022 is boring spam
>>
>>2373551
no.
>>
>>2373551
same reason why I'm here. Shills from pol went to K to shill for Ukraine too
>>
>>2373590
Aye. Actual schizos season there. and then with last week's meme, I dont even want to check
>>2373552
I like how you answered my question, again.
>>
>>2373599
no.
>>
>>2363746
You have the top of the bivy open with a tarp over to keep rain off and the bivy is keeping your bag dry from water saturating the ground
>>
>>2360364
I've purchased two US military bivies for $60 each. My local pawn has no idea what they have lmao.
>>
>>2374690
>pawn shop selling bivies
Interesting. Post a pic of them.
>>
>>2360364
>>2357046
>>2360160
>>2360364
>>2362916
>>2363253
What do you guys think about the Mil Tec Bivy modeled after the US Army version? I’d like to get a Bivy to try some stealth camping and also sleep in the woods. But I don’t want to spend tons of money because I don’t know if I’ll even stick to this hobby. The Mil Tec is quite cheap and seems to have its uses but many people say it’s absolute trash and even harmful. The problem is that apart from that one I can’t seem to find anything that might work. The British military version kind of sucks because it can’t be opened and has no head protection.
>>
File: 20220506_231543.jpg (4.48 MB, 4128x3096)
4.48 MB
4.48 MB JPG
>>2357003
Here's my loadout from a 4 day trip I did a couple weeks ago. Plz no bully

Top row left to right
Tent
Sleeping bag
Inflatable matress
puffy jacket
Fleece jacket
Sleeping/ dry outfit (long johns)
Rain gear
Backpack rain cover
>>
File: u656d.jpg (121 KB, 1280x856)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>2358849
I got one of these for like $5 and honestly it's some of the best $5 I ever spent. I even use it to cook at home sometimes. The paint burns off the first time you use it and then you can use a steel brush to clean it down to bare metal.
>>
>>2374974
The miltec one (apparently) isn't goretex, so I wouldn't bother.
I'd get this one
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/dutch-gore-tex-bivy-bag-with-pole-dpm-surplus/64331
or this
https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/products/jupiter-lite-bivi/
>>
File: Cute Hinata.jpg (96 KB, 1224x919)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>2374999
How could I bully you when you're one of the few anons who actually contributed real shit to the thread.
And those digits.
Good shit anon
>>
>>2374999
Thats a lot of stuff for four days
>>
>>2375074
No
>>
>>2374999
You didn't eat for 4 days?
>>
>>2375081
must be an ultralight hiker
those gays love cutting out unnecessary weight
>>
File: PXL_20220524_002549198.jpg (1.28 MB, 1920x1440)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>first aid pouch with bandages/gloves/antiseptic/tweezers/etc
>small bag with spare 18650 for my main flashlight and a couple AA/AAAs for everything else
>small bag with lens cleaner and antifog spray and some microfiber cloths because i'm a glassescuck>medium bag with painkillers and migraine pills and all other drugs I might need while I'm out
>medium bag with charging cables, small power bank and wall adaptor, nitecore NU25 as a lightweight backup in case something happens to my main light, and a small battery charger that I can use to recharge 18650/AA/AAAs or use them to power usb shit if I need to
>big bag with high vis vest if I have to walk along busy roads at night, shitter paper, bug spray, emergency blanket, spare plastic bags, couple light weight drybags, some tarred bank line, spare glasses, basically everything that doesn't go in one of the bags
>big bag with water filter, adaptor for filling water bladder without taking it out of pack, some instant covfeve, and dried fruit or whatever other snaccs I have at hand
if I'm specifically planning a trip i'll add or remove shit and take sleeping gear and stove and some more food if I'm planning to be gone overnight, but this is my general purpose stuff that I keep in my pack whenever i'm going out somewhere

t. just finished reorganizing and repacking everything
>>
>>2358070
Ditch the kabar and get a proper full tang bushcraft knife, eese have some decent offerings, buck has some full tang options and the sog pillar is good but spendy. If you are really married to kabar, the becker line is alright but skeletonized. The only non full tang knife Ive encountered that is worthwhile as a bushcraft knife is the glock fm78 and good luck finding one stateside
>>
>>2357014
im going to your moms house what should i bring?
>>
>>2372120
If you can feel shit through the shoe to the point it's hurting you, get boots. And your feet are just going to hurt after hiking long enough, but you shouldn't get blisters. You could try wearing another pair of socks on top of your current ones to minimize rubbing.
>>
File: 1000.jfif.jpg (128 KB, 880x880)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>2372120
that's what you get for buying synthetic shoes, they don't form to your foot
don't get larger they will just slip and rub causing blisters
get thick wool gumboot socks they pad out pressure spots and wick away sweat while staying dry enough to not soften your skin. And leather insoles as they form to the bottom of your foot so the pressure is spread as much as possible
next time you need new boots get leather uppers with no lining
>>
File: 20220524_153801.jpg (3.52 MB, 4128x3096)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
>>2375073
Th-thanks
>>2375081
I did, didn't have it packed at this point. Basically 8lbs of cliff bars, packet meat, and knorr rice sides in a ziplock.
>>2375567
I've had good luck with the benchmade bushcrafter 162. Available stateside. Excellent for woodworking. The thing is a beast, I've batoned it through some pretty gnarly stuff. I don't bring it backpacking but it would come with if shtf
>>
>>2375488
Nice and autistic. Very good.
>>
>>2375083
I did 40 miles no food felt fine stay heavy fatty
>>
>>2357065
If you don't mind buying foreign-made, I've been using the Naturhike Cloud-Up 1p tent for a year and it's held up to some long AT section hikes. ~100 greenbacks and the construction is pretty solid.
>>
>>2372120
You may also just need to hike more, walking on dirt trails is going to be tougher on the feet than paved trails, find some nice well maintained trails to work on, then move on to harsher trails, boots should be pretty snug, and if you are feeling stuff through them very much you need better boots, for socks get something that's wool and switch out every six miles, this way your feet aren't getting ruined by having wet socks on
>>
>>2372112
Moleskin will help with blisters, for the pack being loose you may have in set up wrong or just have a shitty one, what are you using?
>>
File: FSxawX9VIAEl1hi.jpg (44 KB, 721x462)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>2376374
>actually being the guy the joke was exaggerating
>>
>>2357061
Yes nothing worse than a hot drink or meal. Who needs a house when you can live in tent by the highway. You stupid retard.
>>
Packing right now for a trip within 12 hours, used 95% of this pack on a previous trip and it worked well.
A few questions though
The boot shown was used last time and it weighs a fuckton, but is incredibly durable. I would rather use the sneaker, but is the risk of tears worth it?
What do you guys bring for consumables? I just kinda got an array of drugs/medicines and put em in a bag, and other than a jar of peanut butter I’m not sure what to eat (I wanna camp for two nights instead of one this time)
What are some good, identifiable things to forage in the Northeast US? I found lots of walnuts last time but the only berries were inedible
>>
>>2376508
Look anon, theres various ways to do everything including ways you wouldn't. Some backpackers go stoveless. Cold soaking is an alternative.

>>2376613
If those are walmart "interceptor" steel toes you should be good.
>>
>>2376613
>What do you guys bring for consumables?
>>
>>2376613
Foraging as a plan to feed yourself is a meme.

>>2376751
Nice
>>
>>2362916
>for-Tex
>waterproof
>breathable
They got another one
>>
>>2376755
>Foraging as a plan to feed yourself is a meme.
There are times of the year when that's doable in some areas, but yeah, unless you really know what you're doing, foraging is a welcomed addition to your food at best. Good thing is that he's going for just two days so even if he eats absolutely nothing he's gonna be just fine.
>>
>>2376773
Can you elaborate? I’m very new to all this stuff and I’d like to get a military bivy to camp outside (in the woods and the city). Everyone keeps talking about how goretex is important. Would you disagree?
>>
>>2376774
>eats nothing
>starving the entire time
>muscle cramps, disorientation
>miserable for the whole weekend
He’s fine though
>>
>>2376783
Not the same anon but
Goretex breathes more than solid plastic, but it still doesn't breathe well. They tend to accumulate moisture in your sleep system. It's also heavy. My buddy uses a tenner industries usgi goretex bivy. For the same weight as the bivy, nylon tarp and 4 stakes i carry a double wall "2 person" backpacking tent with tyvek footprint. I think they paid $40 locally for the bivy and the most notorious big box store sells a 1person backpacking tent that's also under 3lb and $50. They're not entire useless like some people claim, I'd get one if I planned to sleep in bushcraft shelters, or was gonna bum it up and sleep under bridges or something like that. They're also not entirely practical when you can get a 1p backpacking tent in the same weight and price range at a big box store and sleep in an actual tent
>>
>>2376799
Of course a tent will beat a bivy when it comes to comfort. But a tent draws too much attention and unless you only sleep in marked camping areas or way out in the woods you definitely don’t want to be seen. Like you mentioned, a bivy will be very useful if you’re trying to camp in a city or near trails not far into the forest. And that’s exactly what I aim to do.
>>
>>2376783
It just doesn’t work in most environments. The humidity outside of the breathable layer has to be lower than the inside, otherwise water vapor will not permeate the goretex membrane. So high humidity environments are a no-go. It’s also limited on its breathability; anyone who’s worn a goretex jacket knows that it’s claimed capability is pretty exaggerate, and you end up wet from sweating. I wouldn’t trust a goretex bivvy to breathe well enough, especially considering the rise in humidity that occurs at night. Any condensation inside of a bivvy is going to condense when the surface cools. Maybe it’s a small amount where you are, but then again bivvys are meant for arid environments.
>>
>>2376755
>>2376774
>>2376789
I’m not planning on not bringing food, that’s fucking retarded
I just wanna get better at foraging and learning the plants in my area
>>
>>2376895
>I wanna camp for two nights instead of one this time
>I’m not bringing food, that’s fucking retarded
NGMI
>>
>>2376935
Damn, I misread and misquoted. I’ll go play in traffic now.
>>
File: 1640358272822.jpg (254 KB, 1170x1461)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>2363371
There aren't insects in the snow, idiot.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.