[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

What is the best meal you’ve had while /out/? preferably something you hunted/fished/foraged for
>>
>>2283728
literally your picture. Brookies over a campfire with some two-hearted ale.
>>
File: DSC03170.jpg (823 KB, 1600x1067)
823 KB
823 KB JPG
can't go wrong with fresh brookies in butter
>>
can i just ask what the fuck is up with "cold soaking"? i've seen some UL youtubers talk about it but it sounds frankly fucking disgusting

jetboil stoves aren't very heavy what's wrong with these fucking people
>>
#2283772 just looked that shit up, actually foul. Jetboils aren’t heavy and if that’s too much, return to campfire and stick
>>
>>2283772
You've answered your own question with the UL bit. It isn't about the weight of the stove, it's about extending fuel canisters. If through hiking long distance that will allow you to resupply less or carry fewer/smaller canisters. If doing weekend hikes it's unneeded since you aren't days from re-supply or have the time to make a fire but if you're actually serious about doing several high mileage days in a row that could easily save a couple meals worth of fuel.
>>
File: 204e2846.jpg (263 KB, 1280x720)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>>2283755
yes and even better in the fall with mushrooms and berries
>>
>>2283728
The all time absolute best meal i've ever had while /out/ is when I was 12 going on a 3 day long canoeing trip with my father. We had not caught shit for the first day so we just ate bread, hot dogs, and drank some Sprite. On the second day we had a drought in a bounty of fish but didn't pack anything to cook in so we cut up the fish and cooked in butter inside the cut open sprite cans over a fire by the river as the sun set. Nothing has beat it since.
>>
>>2283792
I used to wander around an old bog and eat the cranberries that ripened in the fall. I love that kind of biome. The Tamaracks, wintergreen...

And wtf? Once again anime posters are bringing some good shit to the board. Froggies need to catch the fuck up.
>>
>>2283728
best ive ever had
>fresh caught trout fried in coconut oil
>cilantro/lime rice
>black beans
>>
>>2283782
Not also about saving fuel, biggest thing is saving time. Not having to stop for X amount of time to cook it make food, then spend X of time eating it. Just plop your pack down and dig in and then get back to it.
>>
>>2283728
We made a 'grill' with fresh hazelnut branches (wet it a bit), put trout on it, spiced with fresh herbs (thyme, wormwood), put all this over fireplace and covered with a lid, after a few minutes turned it around for a few more minutes. Best fish i've ever had.
>>
File: scafell-pike.jpg (430 KB, 2048x1152)
430 KB
430 KB JPG
Eating a tin of stew cooked in the tin on Scafell Pike. Around 8pm after doing about 25 miles. Group of five or six tents everybody dropping from hunger. Anything is goat-tier in that state. Still remmber it years later.
>>
File: IMG_20210902_2046014.jpg (3.74 MB, 2704x4056)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
>>2283792
>yes and even better in the fall with mushrooms and berries
very nice setup anon

>tfw i once forgot my food bag in the car on an overnighter and had to forage mushrooms for dinner since the trailhead was 6 miles away
>>
File: DSC_0093 1.jpg (4.62 MB, 4032x2268)
4.62 MB
4.62 MB JPG
>>2284379

I have mixed memories of Scafell, smashed myself up there on the bad step last year, still limped to the summit but descent was not fun.

Had to quit hiking and running for a few months whilst knee healed and still have 2 scars from the cuts on my face today, could've been a whole lot worse though looking back on it.

Some gorgeous scenery up there though and even had some RAF Hawks doing low flybys.
>>
File: DSC_0067 1.jpg (2.13 MB, 3389x1510)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB JPG
>>2284945

Didn't get any nice pictures of the Hawks sadly as had a little too low warning.
>>
File: 71bD3tnVvyL._SL1500_.jpg (219 KB, 1500x1500)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>2283728
>be me
>Boy Scout, forget how old I was but probably 11 or 12
>hiking up a mountain with my dad and our troop
>many mishaps, some kid got hit in the eye with a thorny branch and then we went up the wrong trail, ending up at a No Trespassing sign, a gate and an angry old man with a gun. still was pretty fun so far
>waste about an hour or two doing that, head back on our way to the camp site
>get to site after dark, it's cold as fuck and then it starts torrential downpouring shortly after we set up our tents
>I set up my tent at the bottom of a hill, nobody fucking advises against this, and me and my buddy get soaked as the water floods our tent
>shivering and freezing I go to the fire, one of the older guys is eating picrel with steam coming off it
>beg him for a bite, he begrudgingly gives me a little bit and it immediately warmed my soul
>still got dad to take me home though since my tent was fucked
Most satisfying meal I ever had and I remember it tasting so good too. I need to have that experience again.
>>
>>2283772
I think that's what those Mormon kids do to get their rocks off instead of having real sex.
>>
>>2285118
could you stop spamming this pasta
>>
>>2283772
>tent at the bottom of a hill, nobody fucking advises against this, and me and my buddy get soaked as the water floods our tent
>>shivering and freezing I go to the fire, one of the older guys is eating picrel with steam coming off it
>>beg him for a bite, he begrudgingly gives me a little bit and it immediately warmed my soul
>>still got dad to ta

UL's will do anything to minimize weight, it is legit a severe autism mixed with elitism thing...
>>
>>2283755
Man does that look good.

Does anyone in this thread have any pointers on cooking fish via a skewer?
>>
>>2283728
few years back, camping with my pops.
we brought some steak and cut it into strips and roasted over a campfire. This was after he hurt his arm while clearing some logs away from our camp site.

the trip is mostly memorable because it's
a) the last time we went camping
b) he actually completely tore his bicep but refused to say anything so the trip wouldn't be spoiled -- and so he spent the rest of the trip in agony.

tough SOB.
>>
>>2285289
>build fire
>put fish on stick
>???
>prophet
>>
>>2284254
Nothing ever gave you more aluminum poisoning either.
>>
>>2285421
Eh, I lived and the fish was amazing so I don't care.
>>
>>2283728
Trout with butter fried in aluminum foil over the fire for caught, but fire cooked chorizo sausage holy shit was that good too
>>
>>2285118
This shit was my poverty food when I was in college. You can make it in small $20a rice cooker.
>>
File: DSCN0370-2.jpg (2 MB, 4608x3456)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>2283728
>>2283729
>>2283755
>>2283792
How the fuck do i catch these niggers, they just sit there taunting me.
I've tried both spinning and flys, dozens of each over multiple trips.
>>
>>2285546
when everything else fails i go with klinkhammer
>>
File: PSX_20210924_132551.jpg (580 KB, 1125x1500)
580 KB
580 KB JPG
Slow cooked campfire pork butt
>>
>>2283728
you shouldnt be making fires in nature thats bad for the environment, climate change is a thing y'know
>>
>>
how do I keep my bacon cold before cooking it?
>>
>>2287616
Dry cure a pork belly at home, slice your bacon off of it as you go, it should keep for at least a week in your pack.
>>
>>2287631
salt and brown sugar? anything else?
>>
File: Aajonus.jpg (23 KB, 313x320)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>2283728
During a drug-fueled hallucination out west a pack of coyotes brought me a freshly killed hare and urged me to eat it raw. I've never looked back.
>>
Beef stew while /out/ is amazing
>>
>>2283728
My Japanese buddy flew out to my province back in 2019, so I took him out camping in the mountains. It was raining for like 2 days straight prior, and off and on spitting rain all day so trying to get a fire started was a major pain, but once it was going I cooked some special marinated Elk steaks on a cast iron skillet. Not only was it the best meal I had while /out/ I think it was one of the best meals I've made period
>>
>>2285584
How did that turn out?
>>
>>2287649
Pink curing salt. And I would skip the sugar in lieu of black pepper.
>>
File: PSX_20210925_060951.jpg (371 KB, 1500x1125)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
>>2287708
real nice
reminicent of chinese barbecue pork
>>
>>2283728
A good brand instant noodle upgraded with 2 hotdogs and a slice of cheese

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.